Type keyword(s) to search

Season 7 Discussion

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

8 minutes ago, BluBarbi98 said:

From a view perspective I really can't imagine Dre leaving Stevens & Lido unless the show is coming to an end. 

Or they want to do a minor shake up

6 hours ago, DanaK said:

Or they want to do a minor shake up

Just as long as they bring Charlie along, I am fine if there is a shake-up.

As for Junior, he rather be with Olivia than someone else who isn't a dealbreaker (not wanting kids). If that is the case, then not having kids isn't the dealbreaker for him to end the relationship. If he still wanted kids when she doesn't, then that is the problem.

• Love 9
14 hours ago, DanaK said:

Junior seems to think Nicole is his one and only, but she doesn’t have to be. He’s still pretty young, he shouldn’t get so serious just yet and her not wanting kids while he does is a pretty serious divide to work through

Yeah, Junior is apparently thinking about marriage with Olivia, which is normal with your first serious relationship, but it would also be OK if they broke up down the line. It wouldn't mean their relationship wasn't serious or was a failure because it didn't end in marriage. They're what, 20? It would be OK if they didn't end up married. He might think he's OK with not having kids and then as he gets older, realize that it really matters to him. If she is firmly on the side of no kids (and is she? I thought she said she wasn't sure), that's a fundamental incompatibility. The other deal-breakers they listed aren't that serious, but having kids is. Ruby is right - you can't have half a kid.

• Love 7
15 hours ago, nilyank said:

Just as long as they bring Charlie along, I am fine if there is a shake-up.

As for Junior, he rather be with Olivia than someone else who isn't a dealbreaker (not wanting kids). If that is the case, then not having kids isn't the dealbreaker for him to end the relationship. If he still wanted kids when she doesn't, then that is the problem.

12 hours ago, Empress1 said:

Yeah, Junior is apparently thinking about marriage with Olivia, which is normal with your first serious relationship, but it would also be OK if they broke up down the line. It wouldn't mean their relationship wasn't serious or was a failure because it didn't end in marriage. They're what, 20? It would be OK if they didn't end up married. He might think he's OK with not having kids and then as he gets older, realize that it really matters to him. If she is firmly on the side of no kids (and is she? I thought she said she wasn't sure), that's a fundamental incompatibility. The other deal-breakers they listed aren't that serious, but having kids is. Ruby is right - you can't have half a kid.

There is a chance Olivia changes her mind about kids but if she doesn't and Junior still want kids this will cause serious problems. I think since Junior isn't ready to have kids it's okay to date someone who is still on the fence but in a few years he and Olivia should seriously revisit the topic.  

• Love 2
On 4/17/2021 at 4:19 PM, Joimiaroxeu said:

Dual Pelotons. Oy. Jack and Diane are truly some spoiled children, lol.

IRL are there actually street addresses containing the number 666? I'd think not, for reasons similar to how tall buildings usually don't have a 13th floor.

Venus roach trap.

I thought official documents are signed in black ink because blue ink doesn't photocopy well, not because it's the law or something. Where does Junior get this stuff?

"Full of false confidence for no reason." Yep, that's Dre.

Don't put Junior's name on the lease, Olivia. Just sayin'. He's a tad flighty.

Chicago chiming in....100 % there are houses with 666. 

• Useful 1
2 hours ago, qtpye said:

The bumper with Drake DJing and Junior pretending to be Drake was a lot of fun.

wait whattttt?   That was Drake?  I was watching Jr the entire time (omg I dead!!!)  come on, really?  And I deleted if from the DVR  UGGHHHHHH

23 minutes ago, TV Diva Queen said:

wait whattttt?   That was Drake?  I was watching Jr the entire time (omg I dead!!!)  come on, really?  And I deleted if from the DVR  UGGHHHHHH

Sorry, typo...meant to say Dre and Junior. This is why you do not work and post at the same time.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Arcadiasw said:

There is a chance Olivia changes her mind about kids but if she doesn't and Junior still want kids this will cause serious problems. I think since Junior isn't ready to have kids it's okay to date someone who is still on the fence but in a few years he and Olivia should seriously revisit the topic.  

Agreed, and if they're still on opposite sides of the issue they should break up. My point is that they don't have to decide that right now since they're both too young to be thinking about kids, and if it DOES end up breaking them up down the line when they are starting to think about what "the future" looks like more seriously, it doesn't mean their relationship wasn't worthwhile. Lots of people don't marry the first people they love, especially now.

I was surprised that Dre took an interview with another agency rather than looking seriously at starting his own since he said starting his own was his goal. Maybe that'll come next. I fell out when Bow read that he wanted to marry Hillary Clinton and "treat her right."

• Love 8
1 hour ago, qtpye said:

Sorry, typo...meant to say Dre and Junior. This is why you do not work and post at the same time.

I was all over the interwebs trying to find it.......LMAO  

Edited by TV Diva Queen
  • LOL 2

Dre's list of goals:

1. Learn how to do a back flip

2. Get a ghostwriter for my autobiography

3. Touch Deion Sanders

4. Learn how to talk to girls

5. Marry Naomi Campbell

6. Discover the next big girl group

7. Start my own ad agency

8. Build a Foot Locker in a third world country

9. Marry Rosie Perez

10. Win at least 5 Source Awards

11. Marry Lisa Bonet (avoid if #5 or #9 happen first)

12. Be a DJ

13. Run a mile without stopping

17. Get a motorcycle

18. Marry Hillary Clinton and treat her right (back up plan for # 5, 9, & 11) - does that make me president?

19. Marry Tisha Campbell (see above)

20. Chase down a purse snatcher

21. Pull off grills (how many diamonds per tooth?)

22. Develop my street tag

24. Win a Heisman

I loved Bow's response to Dre's list of ridiculous goals: "You need to take this up with God because he's the one that gave you no musical talent and those little cute chicken legs of yours."

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 5

"The things your grandma's talking about aren't pertinent to anyone not in a blues song, but your grandma's got a point." 

Dre cant leave Stevens and Lido, sometimes his scenes there are the only laughs we get! One of my deal breakers is my spouse setting my stuff on fire so Bow is clearly a more forgiving person than I am. I am surprised that Dre was taking an interview at another firm, I thought that they were setting him up to start his own advertising agency. 

Junior and Olivia are really going to need to have a more serious talk about the kid thing, especially if they do end up staying together for awhile. Junior might say he's alright with not having kids now, but he's only in his early twenties, it could lead to real problems if he decides that kids are important to him as he gets older while Olivia still doesn't want kids. This is a much bigger deal breaker then liking or disliking spicy foods. Its alright for them to just be together now without freaking out about it, they're still really young, but if they get even more serious they really need to revisit that issue. 

• Love 4

What really annoyed me was Dre acted like he was the only one who has made sacrifices, despite the fact that one of the anecdotes early in the episode was that he'd told Bow she couldn't cut HER OWN HAIR short. If I want to cut my hair, dye it green, or curl it/straighten it, I'm going to do it. No one has any say in that. And just because Bow didn't keep a notebook of the things she wanted to do when she was 14 conveniently stowed in the nightstand doesn't mean that she's gotten everything she wanted and never had to give up things she wanted to do.

But I loved that her reaction to his man baby antics was to casually bust out her tarot cards and make some art in the garage. Dre, as usual, can dish it out but he can't take it, so in addition to his obnoxiously bad DJing and buying a fucking motorcycle that he doesn't even know how to ride, he had to retaliate against Bow by burning her tarot cards. What a guy. And her response is to tell him it's okay to quit his job and start his own company. Either this is some serious wish fulfillment fantasy or she is a saint for putting up with his ass.

• Love 5
On 4/29/2021 at 1:15 PM, Empress1 said:

Agreed, and if they're still on opposite sides of the issue they should break up. My point is that they don't have to decide that right now since they're both too young to be thinking about kids, and if it DOES end up breaking them up down the line when they are starting to think about what "the future" looks like more seriously, it doesn't mean their relationship wasn't worthwhile. Lots of people don't marry the first people they love, especially now.

Actually, as long as they are having sex, they should discuss it further and come to some kind of conclusion because there is always the possibility of an accidental pregnancy, and then they really will have to make some decisions

Glad to see Brad-ley is still around. So much for the Fresh Prince toss out last week.

What does it mean to sleep Willie Wonka style?

Why was Charlie's rabbit foot green? I feel like green rabbits don't occur in nature but I could be wrong. 🙄

Hope Dre's boss isn't planning to market that talcum powder to  women. The ones who still have ovaries anyway.

Diane. Went. In. I mean seriously, how is Junior gonna protect his woman when he can't even stand up to milk?

How would Dre know what one of Erykah Badu's headwraps smells like? I don't even want to imagine. 😒

Ehhh, Junior looked to me like Drake maybe 25 lbs ago. Or 11 kg since Champagne Papi is Canadian.

But OMG, Junior has about the same level of dancing skill as Drizzy. 😏

• LOL 1
(edited)
3 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

What does it mean to sleep Willie Wonka style?

Four people in one big bed, two on each side. It's not a sexual thing. 

I tried to upload a photo for you, but either me or the site is doing it wrong. 

Edited by Superclam
  • Love 1

S7.E20: Snitches Get Boundaries

After one of Dre's secrets with Pops is spilled to Ruby, he realizes that his relationships with each of his parents have changed since they got married; Bow surprises Jack and Diane with a brand-new car and tries to teach the twins how to drive.

Original air date: 5/11/21

2 minutes ago, Cotypubby said:

That shameless product placement shilling for Hyundai was terrible

Lol. The mr. said something about that when the commercial came on, but I had no clue what kind of car they had. I guess I’m not the target audience. 

• Love 2
15 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

Yeah, and Jack and Diane really are spoiled. I wouldn't buy teenagers a new car - even if the expense weren't an issue, odds are excellent they're going to fuck it up, and better to do that in a used Honda or something.

• Love 6
On 5/11/2021 at 9:46 PM, Cotypubby said:

Yeah, that and the terrible green screening they were doing were real low points for the episode. 

"Oh, Jack!  Please learn how to drive, I'll buy you your very own brand new car if you do!"

Seriously?  I loved Diane's speech after seeing the car for the first time, though!

At this point I'm really only watching for Pops and Diane.  Marsai has really become quite stunning as she's grown up! 

And she's still our same Diane, making her insta name a play on a serial killer (Golden State Thriller).  Which was the only part I liked about that episode because no way is somebody as crafty as Diane going to like one of her dad's posts without making damned sure which account she signed in to at the time.

• Love 4
(edited)

Rainbow:     I buy you your own brand new car. Huh?
Jack:    No thank you. I'm good. The only thing I'm planning on doing today is drinking this Ensure. It's good for active seniors, but I think it should be good for active freshmen, too.

Ensure isn't vegan, Jack!

Oh wait, he was just vegan for one episode. Never mind.

Edited by monkeypox
  • LOL 2

Given Dre and Bow's parenting skills with Devante, I wouldn't be surprised if tiny Junior did change their diapers sometimes. 

Jack and Diane are ridiculously spoiled, getting a shiny new car/ Hyundai commercial just for a learners permit like its just a totally normal thing. At least wait until the kids can actually drive, don't teach them in the fancy new car. I did think it was funny how Bow was saying how fathers teach their kids to drive and its a mess and she will be the better teacher when it was pretty much the opposite when I learned how to drive. My mom started out teaching me to drive, and we got about three seconds around the parking lot before she was screaming, trying to grab the wheel, and kicking the floor like she could hit imaginary breaks. Dad took over and it went a whole lot smoother. But at least no one ever faked a heart attack to improve my driving...

• Love 3
8 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Given Dre and Bow's parenting skills with Devante, I wouldn't be surprised if tiny Junior did change their diapers sometimes. 

Jack and Diane are ridiculously spoiled, getting a shiny new car/ Hyundai commercial just for a learners permit like its just a totally normal thing. At least wait until the kids can actually drive, don't teach them in the fancy new car. I did think it was funny how Bow was saying how fathers teach their kids to drive and its a mess and she will be the better teacher when it was pretty much the opposite when I learned how to drive. My mom started out teaching me to drive, and we got about three seconds around the parking lot before she was screaming, trying to grab the wheel, and kicking the floor like she could hit imaginary breaks. Dad took over and it went a whole lot smoother. But at least no one ever faked a heart attack to improve my driving...

Yeah, new car for a learner's permit was not just extra, it was extra-plus.  And, I was the same with learning to drive - my mom tried to teach me and it scarred me for years to the point where I didn't even try to get my driver's license while in high school or college (didn't need to drive and my family didn't have money for a car for me to use while at college).  After I graduated and moved back home, my dad took me out in the country and was patient as heck teaching me the basics of driving.  Mind, my parents only owned stick shifts back in the day, so learning to drive was a challenge.  Much smoother with my dad in the passenger seat than my mom.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, Empress1 said:

Did anyone have to pause and remember who Rhonda was? I completely forgot that Dre had a sister for a minute.

I mean, no one in Dre's family even bothered to invite her to the wedding when her own parents got remarried so why should you have to remember who she is?

14 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Jack and Diane are ridiculously spoiled, getting a shiny new car/ Hyundai commercial just for a learners permit like its just a totally normal thing. At least wait until the kids can actually drive, don't teach them in the fancy new car. I did think it was funny how Bow was saying how fathers teach their kids to drive and its a mess and she will be the better teacher when it was pretty much the opposite when I learned how to drive. My mom started out teaching me to drive, and we got about three seconds around the parking lot before she was screaming, trying to grab the wheel, and kicking the floor like she could hit imaginary breaks. Dad took over and it went a whole lot smoother.

Seriously. Why in the hell do your spoiled children need a brand new car before they even have a license? That's ridiculous. I guess since they don't have a beater car for the twins to practice with, they thought oh, hey, we'll just get you a brand new car so that you have incentive not to crash! But considering the other cars we've seen this family drive, a Hyundai seems very off brand for them.

Both of my parents tried to teach me to drive and it didn't go well with either of them. My mom was the nervous type of drive who would abruptly yell, "BRAKE!" because a traffic light two blocks away turned yellow. She would scare the crap out of me because she kept startling me by yelling. My dad was always gruff and stern when helping with my homework, and driving lessons followed that lifelong pattern.

Luckily my boyfriend at the time was a very patient teacher so it was easier for me to learn driving his 20 year old truck with a stick shift than it was learning to drive an automatic with either of my parents.

• Love 3

Did it seem like they forgot Dre was leaving or thinking of leaving his firm? I thought he had actually made a deal with a new employer, but he was right back at the same firm like nothing happened

Spoiler

I know they do touch on it in the finale

• Love 1
1 hour ago, DanaK said:

Did it seem like they forgot Dre was leaving or thinking of leaving his firm? I thought he had actually made a deal with a new employer, but he was right back at the same firm like nothing happened

Reveal spoiler

I know they do touch on it in the finale

He had a meeting with a new firm last week, he didn’t have a deal worked out with them. I’m pretty sure that this episode and last week’s were aired out of order.

SEASON FINALE!

S7.E21: Urban Legend

Dre feels pigeonholed to the urban marketing team at Stevens & Lido and realizes he needs to make some big career changes; Boyz II Men stop by the office to help out the team with a campaign pitch; Junior has to deal with the twins.

Original air date: 5/18/21

I probably missed it but did Stevens refuse to let Dre move to the general market and only allow it once Dre quit, or did Dre have a hissy fit and quit before he deigned to ask? Stevens seems like too narrow minded a firm for Dre but he did hint that staying was a decision for now until he gets experience with the general market

I look forward to see what Dre does in the regular market next season

• Love 3

ok...so I admit I don't know much about marketing/ad agency's, but has Dre really not been in General Marketing?  I didn't think SoFi was considered "Urban"?  and haven't they done cars and such?  I admit I don't completely pay attention to everything they have been shilling on the show but I guess I wasn't seeing most things as urban, just well....general marketing...

• Love 4
10 hours ago, DanaK said:

I probably missed it but did Stevens refuse to let Dre move to the general market and only allow it once Dre quit, or did Dre have a hissy fit and quit before he deigned to ask? Stevens seems like too narrow minded a firm for Dre but he did hint that staying was a decision for now until he gets experience with the general market

I look forward to see what Dre does in the regular market next season

Looks like Dre quit first before having a real talk with Stevens. It's possible Stevens would've passed on moving him to general marketing since he didn't listen to Dre when he wanted to use Harrison Ford only to renege seeing how competitive Dre will be against him. I think Dre needed to quit to prove himself to Stevens (shouldn't have needed to based on Dre history with the company) but I preferred if it was handled without the hissy fit.

• Love 4
47 minutes ago, Arcadiasw said:

I think Dre needed to quit to prove himself to Stevens

This rang true to me, especially with someone like Stevens.  Dre feeling "boxed in" to a specific market segment has been a complaint he has had for a while.

And a lot of people these days have to leave to get what they want. 

The irresponsible thing was doing this without consulting Bow first, especially since it wasn't a toxic situation.  She took that rather well.

• Love 5

Wow, so Dre put in his notice, left his job, started his own agency -- not just in theory but an entity that had to be bought out, so an LLC I guess? -- and didn't get a single client but was competitive enough that Stevens re-hired and promoted him, buying out his new "company," all before he had even cleaned out his old office? Things sure happen fast in advertising, I guess!

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

I know half the point of the show was to be a commercial for Sofi, but it just made me think they must be run by total morons so I'll be avoiding anything they do. They were OK with being portrayed as a company that would seriously consider an ad "campaign" with a guy who quit his job with no notice a few days ago, started a company yesterday, & has no staff or resources & no way to actually deliver Harrison Ford?

• Love 2

I think that the "urban market" meant they were designing  ads specifically to sell whatever product to "the urban market." In  other words, SoFi wanted to increase sales to that particular population. 

I could be wrong, though.

• Love 1

I guess Charlie is the new guy in charge of black people stuff? 

I was curious if they would actually have Dre quit Stevens and Lido, and they kind of made it so they can have their cake and eat it too. He's still there and can still use their supporting cast, if a bit less so, but can also give him some different plots. Did Dre never talk to Stevens about doing things outside of the urban market? Maybe Stevens wouldn't have been as quick to take him seriously unless he knew that Dre was serious about leaving? I would think Dre would be concerned about just quitting out of nowhere at an agency he worked at for years with no major problems, other companies might not want to hire a guy who could quit at any second, and running his own agency out of his living room would certainly not be easy, but of course it all worked out. I can see how this would work out for him, especially with a guy like Stevens, who would respect Dre being willing to walk if he doesn't get what he is looking for. I do think him not telling Bow was really messed up, Bow took that way better than I thought she would. She was more upset about Dre buying too many overpriced shoes than quitting his job. 

I feel like Harrison Ford doing a commercial voice over would be a pretty huge get, is that something Harrison Ford would even do? Can Dre pitch a celebrity endorsement before he gets the actual celebrity onboard?  

• Love 2