Type keyword(s) to search

Season 7 Discussion

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

I don't want to see any episodes that Diane isn't in or momma. and I work in the C-suite of a huge medical center....huge I tell ya and yeah, partners are not a thing.  

On 2/6/2021 at 1:19 PM, Joimiaroxeu said:

A Black life preserver. That brings some interesting imagery when you consider what happened during the Middle Passage. Maybe the writers should've rethought that phrasing.

I don't watch Grown-ish but after seeing the ad that ran during this episode I wondered, has Zoey dropped out of college? AFAIC Dre and Bo are kinda failing as parents if both Junior and Zoey have skipped out on completing their degrees. What a waste of money.

Non-Wiz musicals? Well yeah, okay, given who Tracee's mom is. Otherwise I think I'd go with Hamilton over The Wiz.

Junior's girlfriend needs to mind her business before Diane has to deal with her. Diane knows how to disappear people. Just sayin'.

Sounds like someone at Black-ish has listened to the Nice White Parents podcast series.

Ruby was in Playboy. Unsolicited photos. Of course.

Is always going for it on fourth and one considered a good thing? Sometimes that's not a great idea if you're in a bad position on the field.

Yes. Google results can be gamed to veer away from truth and more into opinion, especially Google News. It's no panacea for racism questions.

her "brother" was in Hamilton.  hehehehehe

• Love 2

her "brother" was in Hamilton.  hehehehehe

OMG, how did I not pick up on that?!!!!??? 🤗🤗🤗🤗

There needs to be scene where Dre and Johan debate The Wiz vs. Hamilton. Since Black-ish is on ABC (owned by Disney) and Disney+ broadcast the filmed version of Hamilton, the discussion would kind of be on brand. And if they could get Diana and Lin-Manuel to do cameos? Ratings bonanza!

• Love 3

First Black James Bond? Pssht, not in any of the lifetimes of any of the people currently alive on Earth. Look how those Brits have acted about a royal baby who's only one-quarter Black and has close to zero chance of ever getting near the throne.

Junior wishes he were a Black woman. Black women everywhere breathe sighs of relief.

Blad Men sounds like an organization of Black vampires to me.

I'm surprised having to golf is still a thing for professional women's career advancement. Was Bow correct about that or is she out of touch?

I was also surprised to hear that MLB is only 7% Black. Why is it so different from the NFL and the NBA?

IMO sometimes being "the first" minority of a particular achievement is actually tokenism. Note that Halle Berry remains the only Black woman to win the Best Actress Academy Award, and there's still some debate on whether she truly "deserved" it for that role.

On 2/10/2021 at 10:05 PM, txhorns79 said:

Does Junior work at all anymore?  I feel like 95% of his storylines are just him sitting around the house reacting to other people. 

Yep, pretty much. They have so given up on the character, to just making him the butt of jokes and making him so stupid we don't know how he knows how to get dressed or use the bathroom. They were talking about doing a spin-off with him, but that fell apart too. Just ship him off to Grown-ish, the writers over there had more ways to use him.

• Love 2
On 2/10/2021 at 7:57 PM, readster said:

Exactly and if they would have explained she had become "partnered" through a clinic, that would have made sense or even said she was now on the Board of Chiefs or Board of Departments. It's like the writers just make shit up as they go instead of you know doing a 10 minute google search. 

They didn't even need a 10 minute Google search. They just had ask 10 random people on the street if they had ever heard of a partner in a hospital and watch 3 of them ask if that was an actual thing, they had never heard of it, and the other 7 flat out tell them it's not a real thing.

And shocking to no one, Bow and Dre are not inspiring future generations of Black mentees. They don't even seem to mentor their own children, let alone random strangers. Hell, I'm not even sure they remember how many kids they have. 

• Love 5

I think they are still pretending Junior is some marketing genius but never actually show him at work. He somehow deserved the job over qualified ppl because I think he had one good idea.

I hate Junior he’s an idiot and annoying.

Im starting to hate this show I think lol. I don’t even buy Dre and Bow as a ppl who are in love anymore. Weird vibe and no chemistry lately.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I liked that way it was acknowledged that pot doesn't always have a calming effect on all people. No need to get all technical with different strains. 

I felt for Dre and his paranoia about doing pot (for different reasons). I sometimes think if I tried it, I feel I would get too paranoid that something would happen medically (I have mild asthma among other issues)) and I would be too out of it to be able to get help

• Love 4

Dre is definitely the kind of guy who gets jumpy and even more paranoid after doing pot, while you know Bow did a LOT of pot while she was in med school, at least when she had the time. Also not surprising? Charlie being high literally every day at the office, that really explains quite a lot. 

Juniors girlfriend really does have a Kyla Pratt kind of vibe. What does Junior even do now? Is he still working? Its mean, but I did laugh at Dre calling him a "two day drop out", they ran out of plots for Junior the day they had him drop out of school. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, possibilities said:

Junior's terms for doing them a favor made me laugh. He's not usually vengeful.

I missed that.  What was it?   Pretty solid episode.  Pot makes me paranoid so I felt for Dre!  😂

• Love 1
1 minute ago, LBS said:

I missed that.  What was it?   Pretty solid episode.  Pot makes me paranoid so I felt for Dre!  😂

I don't remember the specifics but I think he told the teachers that one of the parents had to have a boyle removed from their behind or something like that which is why he had to pick up the kids. 

• Love 1

Wiz Khalifa Junior. Please, not on Junior's best day.

Weed "isn't any more harmful than drinking alcohol" is kind of damning with faint praise, IMO. I'd argue than alcohol is one of the most pernicious mood-altering substances known to humans. A huge chunk of society is set up to encourage drinking, and in fact under many circumstances it's so expected that you have to make excuses not to drink. Not so much with marijuana--not in general society anyway.

That ah sookie now.

When Bow went, "Alright, alright, alright," the closed captioning described it as "imitates David Wooderson." Do people generally know what that means? I had to google it and then I wondered why they didn't just use the actor's name.

A pineapple was talking to ME!

Hippy dirt woman. I'm never going to get that image out of my head now.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

When Bow went, "Alright, alright, alright," the closed captioning described it as "imitates David Wooderson." Do people generally know what that means? I had to google it and then I wondered why they didn't just use the actor's name.

Matthew McConaughey's breakout role was aw Wooderson in Dazed and Confused. His most well known quote from that movie is "alright, alright, alright," which people imitate all the time for various reasons (to be agreeable, to indicate being stoned, to be McConaughey-esque, etc). He knows he can't escape it so he's embraced it.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Useful 1
7 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Matthew McConaughey's breakout role was aw Wooderson in Dazed and Confused. His most well known quote from that movie is "alright, alright, alright," which people imitate all the time for various reasons (to be agreeable, to indicate being stoned, to be McConaughey-esque, etc). He knows he can't escape it so he's embraced it.

Yes I know MM is known for that quote (to his chagrin I think, now that at least one of his kids is approaching high school age). My curiosity was why the closed captioning referenced the Dazed and Confused character's name instead of MM's. Seems to me like most people would've recognized his name before David Wooderson's, especially the people who likely make up most of the Black-ish audience. I guess perhaps the show wanted to make clear that they know the difference between a fictional person and a real one.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Yes I know MM is known for that quote (to his chagrin I think, now that at least one of his kids is approaching high school age). My curiosity was why the closed captioning referenced the Dazed and Confused character's name instead of MM's. Seems to me like most people would've recognized his name before David Wooderson's, especially the people who likely make up most of the Black-ish audience. I guess perhaps the show wanted to make clear that they know the difference between a fictional person and a real one.

Probably for the same reason that another well known phrase is "friend of Dorothy," not "friend of Judy Garland." When the quote or character is as well known as the actor, the character is often referenced instead of the actor who played the character.

• Useful 1
2 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Probably for the same reason that another well known phrase is "friend of Dorothy," not "friend of Judy Garland." When the quote or character is as well known as the actor, the character is often referenced instead of the actor who played the character.

I would say that the Dazed and Confused character isn't that well known though.  The fact that Matthew McConaughey played a character in Dazed and Confused and as that character said, "Alright, alright, alright" is but it's not like Dorothy, Neo, Luke Skywalker where the character's name is recognizable.  And does that character even smoke weed in the movie?  Because I associate MM with weed due to that time when he was caught banging on bongo drums while naked and high.  

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Snapdragon said:

I would say that the Dazed and Confused character isn't that well known though.  The fact that Matthew McConaughey played a character in Dazed and Confused and as that character said, "Alright, alright, alright" is but it's not like Dorothy, Neo, Luke Skywalker where the character's name is recognizable.  And does that character even smoke weed in the movie?  Because I associate MM with weed due to that time when he was caught banging on bongo drums while naked and high.  

Maybe it’s a generational thing. I’ve never even watched Dazed and Confused from beginning to end (I’ve seen snippets of it when I’m flipping channels) and I know four things about this movie: 

(1) Matthew McConaughey’s character is named Wooderson (in my mind, this is the equivalent of Sean Penn playing Spicoli in Fast Times at Ridgemont High in that I always knew the character’s name despite knowing almost nothing about the movie).

(2) He says, “Alright, alright, alright.”

(3) He says, “That’s what I love about these high school girls. I get older but they stay the same age.”

(4) Renee Zellweger and Joey Lauren Adams (who I used to get mixed up) are both in this movie. 

I honestly couldn’t tell you anything else about this movie!

15 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Maybe it’s a generational thing. I’ve never even watched Dazed and Confused from beginning to end (I’ve seen snippets of it when I’m flipping channels) and I know four things about this movie: 

(1) Matthew McConaughey’s character is named Wooderson (in my mind, this is the equivalent of Sean Penn playing Spicoli in Fast Times at Ridgemont High in that I always knew the character’s name despite knowing almost nothing about the movie).

(2) He says, “Alright, alright, alright.”

(3) He says, “That’s what I love about these high school girls. I get older but they stay the same age.”

(4) Renee Zellweger and Joey Lauren Adams (who I used to get mixed up) are both in this movie. 

I honestly couldn’t tell you anything else about this movie!

I actually saw the movie at some point, but I only knew (or remembered) 2 & 3. And, I always watch with closed captions, but I didn’t catch that line. Maybe because we were having weather that glitched out the signal sporadically, or maybe because I’m just not caring for the show that much anymore (but not enough to actually turn it off). 

• LOL 1
On 2/21/2021 at 9:44 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I don’t think that character is really that famous that he would be known by name. I have always just thought that line was a McConaughey thing, since he kept saying it all the time the year when he won the Oscar. I had no idea it came from a film. 

• Love 3
15 minutes ago, Cotypubby said:

I don’t think that character is really that famous that he would be known by name. I have always just thought that line was a McConaughey thing, since he kept saying it all the time the year when he won the Oscar. I had no idea it came from a film. 

I don't think so either.  It's a line that is associated with MM and it's associated with the movie but I don't think most people would know the character's name.  MM adlibbed it so he can claim it and he has often, I do mean often, repeated it.  At this point, it has evolved beyond that character. His other iconic line from the film about teenage girls is more connected to the character. 

I would've said "imitates MM" for sure in the captioning. 

I laughed so much tonight when Dre was talking about Junior turning into a man who lives with his mother and then his mother shows up behind him.  Such an easy joke but it worked for me.

• Love 4
On 2/9/2021 at 5:01 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

S07.E11: First Trap

I'm a bit behind on episodes of this show. Aside from the confusion about Bow's partnership (do medical org partners have to "buy in" the way lawyers do?), the thing that seemed off to me was Junior's girlfriend talking the way she did to Bow about her experiences. Times may have changed, but I can't imagine saying those things in that way to my mother-in-law, let alone the mother of a guy I'm just dating. It sounded far more critical than empathetic. I'm also surprised Bow didn't remind her that not everything works the way you want it to in an ideal world. For instance, in the past, women had to put up with more garbage at work than they do now, and the alternative to "making it work" for yourself might be looking for a new job. And at that time, job-hopping was looked on more unfavorably than it is now.  

Admittedly, not everyone has to be responsible for opening doors for others, but it is nice to at least be welcoming, encouraging, and helpful to those who want to work in the same field instead of only looking out ourselves.

• Love 2

Ruby pre-softening Dre's ice cream pints between her thighs. OMG. I'll never be able to eat ice cream again without that horrible imagery popping into my head.

The Black Pretty Woman Challenge. Is that really a thing? Seems to me pulling stunts like that would be dangerous these days.

Wow, Bow was hella presumptuous. I think she was lucky Olivia's mom didn't cuss her out.

Diane has a booby-trapped bug-out bag. Because of course she does.

Interesting how Dre and Junior are mama's boys while no seems worried about Devante at all. He's probably going to grow up to be an astronaut or something and they'll all be shocked to see him on TV broadcasting from Mars. "No, I thought you were watching him. How'd he get all the way to Mars on his own?"

That was a great tribute to Jenifer Lewis. I think they should do one for Laurence Fishburne too.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

<me in Dre voice when he’s talking to Jr> Dammit show.  Don’t make me agree with Dre.  😀 good episode.  I liked the intertwining stories and the send off to Ruby.

• Love 2
On 2/13/2021 at 10:35 AM, Fostersmom said:

Hell, I'm not even sure they remember how many kids they have. 

They can't.  Devante isn't even mentioned in S7.E12: High Water Mark.  

On 2/25/2021 at 9:37 AM, Joimiaroxeu said:

no seems worried about Devante at all.

Yep.  He pops up in the family picture in S07.E13: The Mother and Child De-Union, but that's it.

• Useful 1
On 2/25/2021 at 11:37 AM, Joimiaroxeu said:

That was a great tribute to Jenifer Lewis. I think they should do one for Laurence Fishburne too.

I liked that montage as well.   Speaking of Mr Fishburne, he's been absent for the last few episodes.   Hopefully he makes another appearance at some point.

• Love 4

That was actually a nice call back to the pilot when Dre was upset that he got hired as the head of the "Urban" department AKA "In Charge of Black People Stuff". Dre being out of touch with modern rap and hip hop isn't surprising, he has a very "these kids today" vibes a lot of the time and generally thinks that anything he likes is good and everything he doesn't like is stupid, but it did lead to some funny moments and actual self reflection. Its alright to like old school music or to dislike other styles of hip hop, of which there are billions, but it does seem weird that someone in advertising is so unaware of popular music. I mean, when Stevens is schooling you on modern black culture, you know your falling behind. 

The Dre plot was pretty good, but these stories where Junior is kind of dating Bow are super creepy. Lets not drag Jack into this very creepy remake of Bates Motel. 

"The other day he tried to convince me that Al Sharpton invented the sharpie." 

• Love 8
On 3/3/2021 at 10:52 AM, tennisgurl said:

The Dre plot was pretty good, but these stories where Junior is kind of dating Bow are super creepy. Lets not drag Jack into this very creepy remake of Bates Motel. 

There's actually now been several episodes in a row where I haven't actively disliked Dre!   But then.... Bow has adult friends?  Since when?  Are they in the same basement with Devante and the dog?  Also, since on Black-ish Covid is over and everyone is back in the office why is Junior out making ceramic mugs with his gf and getting Starbucks for Bow?  Shouldn't he be at work?  I used to really like Junior but ever since he dropped out of school his character just really has nothing going on. Not saying a person (fictional or otherwise) needs to go to College but do something! 

• Love 3
(edited)

I get sibling rivalry but this thing with Junior and Jack acting like they're guys romantically competing for the same woman kind of creeped me out. Junior actually called Jack the "side-son." The show needs to stop trying to make the suggestion of incest between Bow and her sons funny IMO.

When Dre was at work with that handwritten list of hip-hop artists I tried to pause my recording to get a closer look at it but the image wasn't easy to see. Were any of the names on that list real people/groups?

What is with Dre and his nosebleed? Seems ominous

A lot of times on TV and in movies a nosebleed is shorthand for extreme stress or anger. Or it could be as simple as anemia or high blood pressure. I'd be surprised if the show is going anywhere really dire with this unless it's not being renewed. An eighth season hasn't been announced yet but since Black-ish is one of ABC's highest rated shows (if not the highest) it seems to me like it'll keep going as long as the actors want to keep doing it.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Love 1

S7.E15: Jack's First Stand

When Jack decides to go vegan, Dre is unsupportive because he is worried about messing up their bonding nights where they both eat barbecue and watch MMA fights together; Diane wants to buy a limited-edition Beyoncé doll with her allowance.

Original air date: 3/23/21

Omg Dre unsupportive? How out of character lol.

Beginning of the episode Dre said Junior has his work ethic. Lol Junior the guy who never works and is a total joke. Lol ok.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

Jack has a right to go vegan at his age but he doesn’t have a right to insist the rest of the family go along. Dre should have rejected that.

Anthony’s beard does him no favors. It needs a shave or a serious trim

• Love 4
2 hours ago, DanaK said:

Jack has a right to go vegan at his age but he doesn’t have a right to insist the rest of the family go along. Dre should have rejected that.

Right.  But I do think the compromise at the end where the whole family goes meatless for a day is something they can do. 

I did think it was kind of jarring have Jack take a rather firm stand about veganism but then they felt like they had to play homage to his stupidity with the "synthetic leather" and "pepperoni" mixups.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Right.  But I do think the compromise at the end where the whole family goes meatless for a day is something they can do. 

Yes, I agree. But at the beginning where Jack basically ordered Dre to take his wings outside was really wrong

Vegan seems like a heck of a big step to take directly from eating meat, especially for a kid. Maybe he should have started vegetarian first or just eaten less meat for awhile

Nice to see Diane wasn't really wasting her money and was doing it as part of an investment strategy

• Love 3

Jack going straight to vegan seems like a big jump, especially for a kid. Most people I know who wanted to go vegan started with cutting back on meat, then vegetarian and then vegan. Of course even when Jack is actually taking a stand and not just being a joke character, they have to make a crack about how stupid he is. Pepperonis are made of pepper? There's dumb and then there's "are you ok?" 

Dre losing his shit about his kids interests not lining up with his is consistent at least. 

• Love 2