Type keyword(s) to search

Season 7 Discussion

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

8 hours ago, Empress1 said:

I have seen breasts fall out of tops like that in yoga classes.

When I did yoga classes about 15 years ago. The women there kept wearing thongs and were always in the front. We were trying to do the exercising and us in the back rows were always getting more of a show. Then they turn to us and go: "Stop looking at my ass." One guy finally replied: "Then stop wearing floss and we won't!"

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

I couldn’t even concentrate on the story this episode, because I was too angry at how completely irresponsible I feel this season is being. I don’t know what the creators were thinking, but yeah great way to celebrate Christmas: having tons of strangers interacting in person indoors with not a mask in sight and then having a huge family gathering with people coming from all over. 

Why did they start this season explicitly about the pandemic and Bow seeing so much horror working in a hospital if they were then going to pretend it never happened? I don’t know when they filmed it, but this episode is really airing at the wrong time. 

They should have simply ignored it from the beginning. All I can see when watching now is how stupid every character is being and it’s a terrible image to portray. 

Edited by Cotypubby
  • Love 9
6 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

I couldn’t even concentrate on the story this episode, because I was too angry at how completely irresponsible I feel this season is being. I don’t know what the creators were thinking, but yeah great way to celebrate Christmas: having tons of strangers interacting in person indoors with not a mask in sight and then having a huge family gathering with people coming from all over. 

Why did they start this season explicitly about the pandemic and Bow seeing so much horror working in a hospital if they were then going to pretend it never happened? I don’t know when they filmed it, but this episode is really airing at the wrong time. 

They should have simply ignored it from the beginning. All I can see when watching now is how stupid every character is being and it’s a terrible image to portray. 

Oh I agree, it's like on The Connors. They talked about the masks constantly, then show people doing everything you "shouldn't do". Then they half ass right the protests in, once again, talking about the "horrors if you don't wear your mask" and then have the characters do the the complete opposite. It's also like in Dre's office, you see people standing apart, but no one has a mask on, even the extras. Sad to think that the shows that have depicted COVID in a more realistic approach has been Grey's and Station 19 and current game shows. 

• Love 3

Is Compton actually referred to as the CPT? I thought CPT meant something else. Lateness and whatnot. 🤔

Yeah, Dre. Stop comparing yourself to Beyoncé. Seriously?

M-and-Thems. Melt in your mouth and in your hands.

Lol, shouldn't Aunt Denise be at least 70 or so by now? Black don't crack but apparently it can warp the space-time continuum. 😉

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Lol, shouldn't Aunt Denise be at least 70 or so by now? Black don't crack but apparently it can warp the space-time continuum. 😉

Right? I thought the same thing. They could've at least given her some gray hair. Then I figured it was just a *wink wink* *nudge nudge* joke to promote the new season of Mixed-ish next year, given the dialouge in the scene.

• Love 8
On 12/5/2020 at 1:09 PM, Joimiaroxeu said:

And apparently Aunt Denise was holding out on Alicia (Bow's Mom) and not sharing the secret elixir .   LOL

Edited by Meedis
  • LOL 5

I laughed a lot, but when exactly was this episode supposed to have taken place? Super odd to watch them in 110 degree heat at the end of January.

I loved Dre’s pettiness about buying the woman’s groceries for himself and Janine’s home was perfectly decorated for the character.

• Love 1

Dre is usually an asshole, but he was an extra super asshole this week, especially buying all the women at the stories groceries for himself, apparently just to pettily feel smarter than some random person. Was this seriously his first blackout? Ever? Really? The power was apparently out for like one afternoon, and he did all of that? I do find it hilariously in character that Dre stockpiled so much toilet paper that they cant park in their garage, that is very Dre. 

How are we still hitting the same story and character beats after seven damn seasons? 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Aileen said:

Janine’s home was perfectly decorated for the character.

I didn’t find the episode as funny as you did but the details in Janie’s home made me laugh!  It was perfectly in sync with her character.  It was like she shopped exclusively at a Home Goods clearance section. 

• Love 3

Who buys loads of meat when the power is out? No refrigeration. I worked at a shore restaurant and we’d tape the refrigerators closed to keep things from spoiling during blackouts....but that was only good for hours.

Edited by Quickbeam
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, Quickbeam said:

Who buys loads of meat when the power is out? No refrigeration. I worked at a shore restaurant and we’d tape the refrigerators closed to keep things from spoiling during blackouts....but that was only good for hours.

That confused me too! The Johnsons would not survive living in an area with lots of hurricanes. We've been without power for days in the summer.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Aileen said:

I laughed a lot, but when exactly was this episode supposed to have taken place? Super odd to watch them in 110 degree heat at the end of January.

I think it’s in some alternative universe where the pandemic is over, so I guess the season and weather can be whatever they tell us it is...?

• Love 2
8 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Was this seriously his first blackout? Ever? Really? The power was apparently out for like one afternoon, and he did all of that? I do find it hilariously in character that Dre stockpiled so much toilet paper that they cant park in their garage, that is very Dre. 

I really hate storylines where the characters are required to be stupid for the sake of plot. 

• Love 6
On 1/26/2021 at 8:32 PM, Cotypubby said:

And wtf, are we supposed to believe that he has never been in a blackout before? 

Seriously. He lives in California. We have had power outages due to fires every year as well as rolling blackouts that were intended to prevent fires. If you live in California, you know to expect this during fire season because it happens EVERY DAMN YEAR. You know to keep the refrigerator closed in the hopes that the power will come back on before the food starts to get funky. You also know that if you go to the store to stock up on food, you don't buy a bunch of stuff that needs to be refrigerated because you never know how long it will be before the power is turned back on. Sometimes it's back in less than a day. Sometimes it's a week. It's such a regular annual occurrence that there are lots of people like Janine who have generators. There's no way that this was Dre's first blackout so there's no reason he should have been acting like such a fool about it. You know, except that it's Dre and that's par for the course.

18 hours ago, Aileen said:

It was 90 in LA two weeks ago so it can still get hot even in January!

Janine’s home was perfectly decorated for the character.

I was totally cracking up at everything Janine related in this episode because OF COURSE she is selling MLM essential oils and OF COURSE her house is decorated with an entire wall of huge signs written in that hideous modern calligraphy font.

I was annoyed with Junior because his only concern was charging his phone to call Olivia? And then at the end of the episode, they were just hanging out so what was preventing him from just going to her apartment to check on her in the first place? Or using one of the other phones in the house to call her? You know that Dre, Rainbow, Jack, Diane, and the unseen grandparents all have phones AND they probably still have a landline in the house, so he couldn't have convinced one person to let him send her a quick text to say he was okay and that his phone was dead?

I know that the blackout was unexpected but I was also annoyed that Junior admitted that he always lets his phone run down. If you know that you are that person, either make an effort to change it or stop apologizing because you know that you don't give enough of a shit to change your ways. It's like people who are always running late and then rush in saying, "Sorry, sorry, sorry!" Don't be sorry. Just stop doing things that you have to apologize for. And if your issue is your phone always dying because you refuse to plug it in, then get a power bank.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 5
On 1/28/2021 at 4:59 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I know that the blackout was unexpected but I was also annoyed that Junior admitted that he always lets his phone run down. If you know that you are that person, either make an effort to change it or stop apologizing because you know that you don't give enough of a shit to change your ways. It's like people who are always running late and then rush in saying, "Sorry, sorry, sorry!" Don't be sorry. Just stop doing things that you have to apologize for. And if your issue is your phone always dying because you refuse to plug it in, then get a power bank.

Plus, there are you know, car chargers that people have just in case. I knew someone who decided to drop off some bills and decided to drive around for a half an hour, because it would charge up their phone while doing it. Including people who went out and got power banks and did the same thing. I keep two in my car just in case.

I think where it starts going too far is when people like Dre or Junior are just "unaware" these things can happen or live in some where world where "it never happened". It's too stupid to words and let's face it, there are some very scary and stupid people like Dre and Junior or Ruby in the world. However, there comes a point where they are "just that way" and when the script DEMANDS it. This was the latter and having the other characters calling them out on it and their reply is: "But I can't look stupid." That's where you go: "Like now?"

• Love 3

S7.E10: What About Gary?

Going against Bow's warning, Dre tries to educate her white cousin Gary about how to be an ally; Olivia tries to impress Junior's family by attempting to psychoanalyze everyone and their relationships with one another.

Original air date: 2/2/21

On 1/29/2021 at 9:07 AM, TV Diva Queen said:

The whole show was how Drew is always prepared and yet he doesn't have a generator.  Please.  The old show would have had them at the Four Seasons living it up.  

Was just going to post this. No way these rich families don’t have a generator!!

• Love 3

Where I live in the SW, 110° with a power outage of more than an hour is considered a potentially life-threatening situation, especially during the pandemic. We don't have rolling blackouts though--not yet anyway. Whatever, I had a hard time laughing at the premise of this episode.

Janine keeps her AC at 66°? No wonder the power went out, she's using most of it to keep her house like a walk-in refrigerator. 😒

Diane taught Jack to read wrong. On purpose. 🤗

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Where I live in the SW, 110° with a power outage of more than an hour is considered a potentially life-threatening situation, especially during the pandemic. We don't have rolling blackouts though--not yet anyway. Whatever, I had a hard time laughing at the premise of this episode.

Janine keeps her AC at 66°? No wonder the power went out, she's using most of it to keep her house like a walk-in refrigerator. 😒

Diane taught Jack to read wrong. On purpose. 🤗

That was HYSTERICAL!

• Love 3

I’m really not liking this show lately. I’m finding it hard to finish episodes. Sometimes I don’t even finish the episode.

Why would Dre buy so much food that had to go in the fridge that made no sense.

I wish Junior would just go away. The character sucks.

• Love 2

This episode spoke to me on so many levels, like the time a colleague came up to me to say that she saw the show Enslaved, and wanted to tell me how horrible slavery was. It was all I could do not to tell her “it’s 2020, and you’re just now realizing that slavery wasn’t a good thing?”

I hope a young cousin Gary ends up on an episode of Mixed-ish. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 12

This was definitely one of the better episodes of this season. I was dying at cousin Gary identifying all the different Reginas! Normally Dre drives me crazy with his immaturity and selfishness, but I could have watched an entire episode of him teaching Gary stuff and giving him quizzes.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 8

I was hoping Gary would ask Dre how many white friends he has that aren’t co-workers. Dre and Bow really don’t like anyone . And sometimes talking to someone is better than Google. Also don’t like Dre’s co-workers being so incredibly racist-not all white people are like that.

• Love 3
14 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Maybe it's the mood I'm in but I thought this was the best episode of the show in a while.

I died during the teaching montage when Gary had to take the Regina quiz.  

Those montages were pretty funny. I could probably only identify Regina King by sight of those Reginas. And don't get me started on trying to tell the difference between Elijah Cummings and John Lewis (and Cummings was my Congressional representative!) when they're not side by side and even then it's hard. I knew who the third guy was though, even if I can't remember his name at the moment. The White person version is the various Chris actors

Good episode overall. As a White person, I found the best way to keep up with racism and problems Black people face is to keep up with the news and read things Black people write that talk about their issues. And even then, I know I've missed some things and some nuances. Too many White people just tune things out when it's not affecting them. I'm kind of surprised White Gary didn't learn some things over the years being in a mixed-race family

Edited by DanaK
  • Love 9

That was definitely one of the better episodes the show has had in awhile. Not up the shows old standards, but it did have some insightful commentary, some funny scenes and lines, and Dre was less of an ass than usual. I wonder if we will see a kid version of cousin Gary on Mixed-ish

The identity the black person boards were pretty funny, as was the prerecorded song that Dre prepared for his co-workers, Stevens and Josh laughing about the idea of Dre not wanting to talk about race, and Gary apparently blocking his grandma on Facebook for her All Lives Matter response to his BLM post. They also made some actually good points about how so many white people are just now really waking up to white privilege and are now wanting to join the fight against racism, but it can be uncomfortable for everyone involved at times. Its good that people are trying more, but its a lot of work, literally and emotionally. It is really ridiculous that some people really are like "wow, racism is real? You just blew my mind!" like yeah no kidding, how shocking! Better late than never? 

I know its because of COVID, but there are so many scenes of people sitting in a room talking this season, its really obvious that they are kind of struggling with writing around COVID. Its understandable, but noticeable, especially as a lot of other shows who are doing a post covid thing are handling it pretty naturally. 

• Love 7
19 minutes ago, MissLucas said:

As a European can someone explain the thing about public schools to me? What kind of resources would Gary's kids find there that Dre's couldn't (this seems too specific to ask Google)?

I probably won't do a great job but I can try to sum up what he's trying to say.

It's not that Gary's kid specifically will get a lot more resources as an individual than a black kid would (although he might be unconsciously favored in that school).  It's about the system. 

Essentially, governments find money and resources for things they value.  Public school is paid for by the tax payers of the school district it's in.  Middle-class to rich white school districts tend to have little problem with sending their kids to the public school.  They tend to be willing to contribute via tax hikes and even donations.  Parents in these districts also likely have jobs that allow them to get away from work and participate in school activities. Teachers tend to get paid more in these districts (and so teachers sometimes try and work their way into the district through experience and education).  They also probably don't have to buy their own school supplies for the classroom or worry about most of their students having everything they need to succeed.

These are considered "good" school districts. 

Then there are the school districts with more diversity or a poorer population.  There is a long history of diversity being seen as lowering the value of something.  Redlining is mentioned in this episode (and that's a good thing to Google).  White neighborhoods used to be scared if a family of color moved in because they feared the value of their own homes would drop.  So they would write clauses into developments that houses couldn't be sold to certain populations.   So imagine how white parents might have seen a school with more diversity? They don't see a diversity of experiences; they often see students who could lead their children astray (never mind that the same stuff goes on in private schools.)  Parents started electing for private schooling which caused elective segregation as opposed to legal segregation.  Time just cements the differences. In places, parents can also put their kid in a different school outside of the district and use some of the money they pay in education taxes to do that--essentially reallocating their tax dollars from their own district. They are less likely to value tax increases for the public school their kids aren't in.

A lower tax base and well off parents moving their kids out of public schools can lead to a lower investment by taxpayers, government officials...etc.  I think that's the issue Gary is in.

But if more of those parents who have influence and are seen as more "valuable" because of their racial background or wealth status would send their kids to public school, other citizens and government officials, who tend to want to appeal to those voters, would work to find more funding for them.

It's not something that Gary can fix himself but if a lot of Garys would put their kids in public school and fight for those schools to improve, odds are good they would.  But no one is going to want to "sacrifice" their child's future so the inequities continue.

That's what Bow was warning Dre about.  There are a lot of white people who are starting to see the history of systematic racism in the United States---how each time new freedoms are granted (ending slavery/Jim Crow/segregation), new rules and laws (Jim Crow, redlining) pop up to try to keep the old imbalances in place which favor white people. They are recognizing it's bad. But while people are willing to talk about it and protest, few are willing to make the hard choices like sending their kids to a school with fewer resources in the hope that one day the school will have more resources. They'd do it if they knew things would automatically change and get better for everyone but they know, deep down, any significant change will be long after their kids are out of the school.

• Useful 1
  • Love 11
15 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I probably won't do a great job but I can try to sum up what he's trying to say.

It's not that Gary's kid specifically will get a lot more resources as an individual than a black kid would (although he might be unconsciously favored in that school).  It's about the system. 

Essentially, governments find money and resources for things they value.  Public school is paid for by the tax payers of the school district it's in.  Middle-class to rich white school districts tend to have little problem with sending their kids to the public school.  They tend to be willing to contribute via tax hikes and even donations.  Parents in these districts also likely have jobs that allow them to get away from work and participate in school activities. Teachers tend to get paid more in these districts (and so teachers sometimes try and work their way into the district through experience and education).  They also probably don't have to buy their own school supplies for the classroom or worry about most of their students having everything they need to succeed.

These are considered "good" school districts. 

Then there are the school districts with more diversity or a poorer population.  There is a long history of diversity being seen as lowering the value of something.  Redlining is mentioned in this episode (and that's a good thing to Google).  White neighborhoods used to be scared if a family of color moved in because they feared the value of their own homes would drop.  So they would write clauses into developments that houses couldn't be sold to certain populations.   So imagine how white parents might have seen a school with more diversity? They don't see a diversity of experiences; they often see students who could lead their children astray (never mind that the same stuff goes on in private schools.)  Parents started electing for private schooling which caused elective segregation as opposed to legal segregation.  Time just cements the differences. In places, parents can also put their kid in a different school outside of the district and use some of the money they pay in education taxes to do that--essentially reallocating their tax dollars from their own district. They are less likely to value tax increases for the public school their kids aren't in.

A lower tax base and well off parents moving their kids out of public schools can lead to a lower investment by taxpayers, government officials...etc.  I think that's the issue Gary is in.

But if more of those parents who have influence and are seen as more "valuable" because of their racial background or wealth status would send their kids to public school, other citizens and government officials, who tend to want to appeal to those voters, would work to find more funding for them.

It's not something that Gary can fix himself but if a lot of Garys would put their kids in public school and fight for those schools to improve, odds are good they would.  But no one is going to want to "sacrifice" their child's future so the inequities continue.

That's what Bow was warning Dre about.  There are a lot of white people who are starting to see the history of systematic racism in the United States---how each time new freedoms are granted (ending slavery/Jim Crow/segregation), new rules and laws (Jim Crow, redlining) pop up to try to keep the old imbalances in place which favor white people. They are recognizing it's bad. But while people are willing to talk about it and protest, few are willing to make the hard choices like sending their kids to a school with fewer resources in the hope that one day the school will have more resources. They'd do it if they knew things would automatically change and get better for everyone but they know, deep down, any significant change will be long after their kids are out of the school.

As a public school teacher who has worked in both private, public, rural, inner city and everything through the last two administrations in that time. You are pretty spot on to things, even Bow's reaction to things is also very spot on. There has been more in the past year, then in the past eight years with these issues. The problem is, you have areas where in more rural, populations are shrinking due to various things and inner city where it is being more common placed. Not much different than what was sweeping through schools from the mid 1970s to the late 1980s. Differences go between who see eye to eye with people on one end of the spectrum or the other. Ones who have more financial contributions and favoritism. Sadly people in the classic: "It's always been this way, and no reason to change now." 

• Love 6

A Black life preserver. That brings some interesting imagery when you consider what happened during the Middle Passage. Maybe the writers should've rethought that phrasing.

I don't watch Grown-ish but after seeing the ad that ran during this episode I wondered, has Zoey dropped out of college? AFAIC Dre and Bo are kinda failing as parents if both Junior and Zoey have skipped out on completing their degrees. What a waste of money.

Non-Wiz musicals? Well yeah, okay, given who Tracee's mom is. Otherwise I think I'd go with Hamilton over The Wiz.

Junior's girlfriend needs to mind her business before Diane has to deal with her. Diane knows how to disappear people. Just sayin'.

Sounds like someone at Black-ish has listened to the Nice White Parents podcast series.

Ruby was in Playboy. Unsolicited photos. Of course.

Is always going for it on fourth and one considered a good thing? Sometimes that's not a great idea if you're in a bad position on the field.

sometimes talking to someone is better than Google

Yes. Google results can be gamed to veer away from truth and more into opinion, especially Google News. It's no panacea for racism questions.

• Love 2
43 minutes ago, docmatt said:

No such thing as "partner" at a hospital. No such thing. It's not a law firm.

Right you can be on a board of directors or department chiefs, but a "partner" no that's not how that works. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, docmatt said:

No such thing as "partner" at a hospital. No such thing. It's not a law firm.

I had wondered about that; that just seemed wrong to me

Junior’s girlfriend is a handful, but at least she and Bow aren’t on the outs like he feared

• Love 4

I am really glad everyone else was confused by Bow becoming a "partner" at her hospital, I thought maybe that was a thing that I just never knew about. You can have partners at law firms or agencies or things, but I would think the closest equivalent at a hospital would be a board of directors or chief of medicine or something. That's a really weird mistake to make, unless I'm totally wrong and being made partner at a hospital is something that exists, and I just don't know about it.  

Of course Charlie knows a reputable necromancer. Not just a necromancer, but a reputable one. 

• Love 7
35 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

I am really glad everyone else was confused by Bow becoming a "partner" at her hospital, I thought maybe that was a thing that I just never knew about. You can have partners at law firms or agencies or things, but I would think the closest equivalent at a hospital would be a board of directors or chief of medicine or something. That's a really weird mistake to make, unless I'm totally wrong and being made partner at a hospital is something that exists, and I just don't know about it.  

You can be a partner in a medical practice, like an independent clinic.  Those independent practices can partner with or be contracted by the hospital and the employees can even primarily work in a specific hospital.  But that's not how Bow's role has been defined.  She has always been presented as an employee of the hospital.  So that was weird.

• Useful 4
  • Love 4

Writers were asleep on this latest episode. As others pointed out, medical practices have "partnerships" but hospitals don't.

Then they butchered the story line about Juniors girlfriend. They couldnt decide if she was going to grad school for psychology or medical school. They are two completely different things.  The sketchy Caribbean schools are medical schools. They dont offer a Psychology doctorate.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Irlandesa said:

You can be a partner in a medical practice, like an independent clinic.  Those independent practices can partner with or be contracted by the hospital and the employees can even primarily work in a specific hospital.  But that's not how Bow's role has been defined.  She has always been presented as an employee of the hospital.  So that was weird.

Exactly and if they would have explained she had become "partnered" through a clinic, that would have made sense or even said she was now on the Board of Chiefs or Board of Departments. It's like the writers just make shit up as they go instead of you know doing a 10 minute google search. 

• Love 2

A+ for Charlie's sash and crown though.

I thought Bow looked great in that red/blue/green floral-ish dress

Does Junior work at all anymore?  I feel like 95% of his storylines are just him sitting around the house reacting to other people. 

• Love 4