Type keyword(s) to search

Season 7 Discussion

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

15 hours ago, anna0852 said:

Usually I feel like Junior is unfairly targeted by his family but this time I was ready to smack him. Bow is a doctor, working in a hospital during a pandemic and every molecule of her energy is going towards that and her family. Not having the bandwith to get on a Zoom call with her son's girlfriend is not worthy of the tantrum Junior threw.

I'm glad there including Covid in the story line.1st, it would be weird to ignore it simply because it is overwhelmingly present in our world and this show clearly takes place in the present and 2nd, it's safer for the actors. No one has to explain why they're positioned far apart from each other or why they're seen wearing masks or the reduction in crowd scenes and extras.

The show always wants it both ways with Junior. The family basically hates him, but then he does things that any other parent or super visor or girlfriend would smack him over the head. His entire "dropped out of school" gap year story, which the writers admitted they had no plan, they just wanted to keep the actor on the show and vice versa. They just take the cheap route with Junior all the time. He does something without thinking that a 5 year old would know. Or they have him do something that does make sense, but then Dre or Bow act like they picked him off the streets and want to put him back there. Same goes with Bow constantly being shit on at the hospital. You can't tell us there aren't other hospitals where they live. I mean, a great story would be Bow going to another hospital where she is treated completely fairly and the hold hospital goes; "We needed Bow, we were always pissy because she was a better doctor that us, now we might lose our jobs." But no, wash, rince, repeat, repeat, repeat... did we mentioned that Junior is an idiot? Hey where's the baby?" 

• Love 4

Are these episodes being shown out of order or something? Last week Bow was majorly upset at Junior for seeing his girlfriend in person but now they’re hanging out together in the house? No one wears masks when with friends or going out to large protests? I feel like they need to pick a lane and stay in it: either this season takes place in the present during Covid or it doesn’t. 

• Love 5
6 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

Are these episodes being shown out of order or something? Last week Bow was majorly upset at Junior for seeing his girlfriend in person but now they’re hanging out together in the house? No one wears masks when with friends or going out to large protests? I feel like they need to pick a lane and stay in it: either this season takes place in the present during Covid or it doesn’t. 

I found this glaring. Is Covid over? Can we all come out now? 

• LOL 3

I think what was especially frustrating is this was so easy to have to do under COVID restrictions.  Have a video chat with his work colleagues or, if his boss insists he come into work (which I'm sure he would) have them stand six feet apart and wear shields.

Same thing with protesting, people wore masks out there for the most part.

And the Olivia problem is easy to solve.  They said she lived alone.  The actress was made a regular.  Why not have her move in with the family?  It's something people who don't normally live together have chosen to do--quarantine together.

• Useful 5
  • Love 1
On 11/5/2020 at 12:26 PM, Snapdragon said:

I love that Ruby was reading "Hmmph" magazine.  

That was my favourite part of the episode.

I just can’t take anything Junior does seriously. He is always changing what he’s doing. They also keep saying he is this promising young executive but we saw that like one time maybe lol. Plus he seems like such a self righteous douche to me. Maybe it’s the actor. I’ve never thought he was that great.

Edited by Marley
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Marley said:

I just can’t take anything Junior does seriously. He is always changing what he’s doing. They also keep saying he is this promising young executive but we saw that like one time maybe lol. Plus he seems like such a self righteous douche to me. Maybe it’s the actor. I e never thought he was that great.

I just want someone to take he, Jack and Dre and shave off their facial hair.  For Junior and Jack, they both look like little boys who drew on mustaches, and with Dre, he just needs to groom his so it doesn't look like an out of control, greasy mess. 

Also, I wish someone would sit down with Tracee Ellis Ross and tell her that jumpsuits do not flatter her. 

And is Covid over?  No masks or social distancing in this episode, despite their making a huge deal out of it over the last two.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
16 hours ago, Marley said:

They also keep saying he is this promising young executive but we saw that like one time maybe lol.

I honestly didn't think he was still working. He wouldn't be on his dad's Zooms - he's too low-level for that; those seem to be senior leadership calls - but have they even mentioned that he has a job before this episode?

13 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

For Junior and Jack, they both look like little boys who drew on mustaches

I can forgive it for Jack since he's so young, but with Junior, that's probably all the facial hair he's going to get. It's ... not flattering.

I laughed when Ruby acknowledged that teenage boys are often smelly. My friend is a middle school teacher and one of the things she likes about virtual learning is that she doesn't have to deal with the funk a lot of her students have. All those hormones, some have realized they need deodorant and some have not ...

• Love 4
On 11/5/2020 at 3:26 PM, Snapdragon said:

I love that Ruby was reading "Hmmph" magazine.  

Probably the most I've laughed at this show in a really long time. 

Dre spends the whole episode shaking his fist at the clouds while complaining about The Young People, and succeeds in sounding like a grumpy old man, but it is pretty consistent with Dre. He pretty much thinks that most things that he doesn't like or understand are stupid and therefore no one else should like them, but you would think an ad exec would know about the popularity of social media and social media activism. I also kept waiting for someone to comment on how during a pandemic, activism through social media might be the safest option, especially people at risk for COVID, but I guess we're done with on this show COVID now? 

Thanks for just announcing that you have a favorite kid Bow. I guess she feels like she has to make up for the fact that Juniors dad treats him like crap, but that's pretty messed up. Devante has presumably moved out and is living in his own apartment and is planning on sueing for emancipation. Really, that's just a formality at this point considering how little anyone in his family notices him. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, tennisgurl said:

Thanks for just announcing that you have a favorite kid Bow. I guess she feels like she has to make up for the fact that Juniors dad treats him like crap, but that's pretty messed up. Devante has presumably moved out and is living in his own apartment and is planning on sueing for emancipation. Really, that's just a formality at this point considering how little anyone in his family notices him. 

Seems it was the real life parents that made the call. They didn't want him filming during COVID. Of course while I can't blame the writers because what option they had. HOWEVER... they threw in kid #5 because Kenya had a baby late in life, and how they thought this was going to lead to "golden stories" I have no idea. They either ignored Devante or only use him for a plot or when they have to give an excuse why Junior can only do something smart. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, readster said:

HOWEVER... they threw in kid #5 because Kenya had a baby late in life, and how they thought this was going to lead to "golden stories"

That's the real problem. I totally understand the parent not wanting their baby around so many people during COVID, but there was never any reason for this show to add a baby other than Kenya had one and I guess wanted to use some of his stories from the show, but he never really did that. They built up Bow getting pregnant, then when she had the baby, and was promptly forgotten by the writers and was either used as a prop or was living in offscreen land. If this was just a COVID thing I would get it, but this has been happened since the second the poor kid came out of Bows womb. They could at least say a throwaway line about Devonte staying with relatives because they didnt want him exposed or something. 

• Love 7
52 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

That's the real problem. I totally understand the parent not wanting their baby around so many people during COVID, but there was never any reason for this show to add a baby other than Kenya had one and I guess wanted to use some of his stories from the show, but he never really did that. They built up Bow getting pregnant, then when she had the baby, and was promptly forgotten by the writers and was either used as a prop or was living in offscreen land. If this was just a COVID thing I would get it, but this has been happened since the second the poor kid came out of Bows womb. They could at least say a throwaway line about Devonte staying with relatives because they didnt want him exposed or something. 

The only thing that Devonte has served on the show was having Dre and Bow deal with marriage problems (once again based on the show's creator's own life) and giving Junior something to do that isn't him acting like he doesn't know the sky is blue. 

• Love 4

Well... I wasn’t expecting the wedding to make me so emotional 😭 😂 I thought it was really sweet having Bow perform the ceremony.

I loved Dre talking Junior down,

The end tag made me lol with Ruby having some pictures without “her” in them in case it doesn’t work out, and thinking she was talking about Olivia

Edited by Izzy85
  • Love 7

Hey, they remembered Devante! 🤗

I almost didn't recognize Danny Glover. He's older than I realized.

Death by stomping is a lot of cleanup? Good to know. 🙄

Junior can barely support himself. The very last thing he should be thinking about is getting married.

Loved Ruby's wedding gown and train. Just gorgeous. And, dang, you can't go wrong with some Al Green. It got me in the feels a bit too.

Mazel tov to the not-quite-new newlyweds. Wonder how long it'll be until Ruby blows up Pops' boat again? 🙂

• Love 7

Loved Ruby's wedding dress, she looked absolutely amazing. I don't know how long this second try will last for Pops and Ruby, but their wedding was certainly sweet. Pops still better watch any future boats he might be looking at...

We get acknowledgment of Devante AND a Zoey cameo! Its like playing Johnson family bingo! The Danny Glover guest spot was fun, I would totally let Danny Glover crash at my place. Junior should probably have his own place before he starts thinking about getting married. 

"She means me, she said the same thing at my wedding." Oh Ruby, always one step forward, two steps backward. 

• Love 5
6 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Junior can barely support himself. The very last thing he should be thinking about is getting married.

Junior think logical? Junior think about doing his best to get a great career and his own place before getting married? Nah... parish the thought!

• Love 4

I thought it was odd that the first episode of the season was really focused on how everyone needs to be responsible about COVID by wearing masks and social distancing and then this one was like oh, sure, let's have a bunch of people travel, not quarantine, and then sit less than six feet apart without masks. I know Uncle Norman said that he took a COVID test but what about everyone else who showed up? And it's great that Bow had plans for keeping the tables six feet apart, but why would that matter after they were all sitting next to each other at the BBQ the day before the wedding with no masks? Once you've all been standing two feet apart breathing each other's cooties all afternoon, you've already broken the bubble. I thought that of everyone, Bow would be the one most adamant about that and instead she was like ehhh, it's fine.

• Love 9
7 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I thought it was odd that the first episode of the season was really focused on how everyone needs to be responsible about COVID by wearing masks and social distancing and then this one was like oh, sure, let's have a bunch of people travel, not quarantine, and then sit less than six feet apart without masks. I know Uncle Norman said that he took a COVID test but what about everyone else who showed up? And it's great that Bow had plans for keeping the tables six feet apart, but why would that matter after they were all sitting next to each other at the BBQ the day before the wedding with no masks? Once you've all been standing two feet apart breathing each other's cooties all afternoon, you've already broken the bubble. I thought that of everyone, Bow would be the one most adamant about that and instead she was like ehhh, it's fine.

Sad to say you still have people who believe that COVID is real, but think wearing masks are just a scam or social distancing doesn't really do much. But oh, they believe in the virus because friends/family members are getting it, but are: "Well, if all this is suppose to stop or help, then why did they still get sick?" It's like any other disease, you can still do everything right and still get sick, but sadly seems to be a norm even on TV.

11 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I thought that of everyone, Bow would be the one most adamant about that and instead she was like ehhh, it's fine.

Yeah, you'd think since just two episodes ago they made a big deal of the toll working at the hospital during the pandemic was taking on Bow, but she seemingly just shrugged at all these randoms hanging out at her house. 

• Love 6
6 hours ago, readster said:

Sad to say you still have people who believe that COVID is real, but think wearing masks are just a scam or social distancing doesn't really do much. But oh, they believe in the virus because friends/family members are getting it, but are: "Well, if all this is suppose to stop or help, then why did they still get sick?" It's like any other disease, you can still do everything right and still get sick, but sadly seems to be a norm even on TV.

But let's face it, there are also people who were really strict with things in the beginning but who have loosened their personal restrictions as this has worn on and they've gotten sick of wearing masks.

There are people who will wear masks in public spaces like the grocery store or the library but figure there will always be some risk as they're made to go back into work or their kids are in school.  They are people who hung out with friends outside because it was less risky but continue to do so indoors as the weather gets colder.  They won't want to wear masks with friends because that defeats the purpose of feeling normal.

That's why inconsistent mask use or inconsistent social distancing doesn't bother me on the shows because it is sadly real life. 

• Love 4

They stopped showing people smoking on TV. They should either pretend the pandemic never happened, or show responsible mask-wearing and other safety protocols, because lives are at stake and half-assing it is irresponsible.

Of course, they also show people having unprotected sex on tv all the time, even strangers, so it's not like TV is the most responsible medium. 

But half-assing the representation makes no sense. If they want to pretend it's not an issue, fine. Then stop talking about it. But to talk about it in one scene and then ignore it in the next, is the worst writing and the least responsible option.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, possibilities said:

They stopped showing people smoking on TV. They should either pretend the pandemic never happened, or show responsible mask-wearing and other safety protocols, because lives are at stake and half-assing it is irresponsible.

Of course, they also show people having unprotected sex on tv all the time, even strangers, so it's not like TV is the most responsible medium. 

To that end, they also show a lot of people having unplanned pregnancies (or getting STIs, although to a far lesser extent,) so there's at least some balance of irresponsibility and consequence. Not so much here. I agree, throwing in brief acknowledgments to COVID but then half-assing precautions is no way to do it. Either imagine there's no pandemic in your story or do it right.

• Love 4
14 hours ago, jalady said:

Tracee Ellis Ross is a very attractive woman, but some of the fashion choices for Rainbow are awful.  Exhibit A: that pink, aluminum foil jumpsuit! 🤮

I have officially come to the conclusion, that the costume department has members who just HATE Tracee and try to stick her in the ugliest outfits when given the chance. Then give the excuse of why Dre wears horrible outfits with a: "But they cost like $500 for something you look like you picked out of the gutter after it rained, because they spend money without thought." Yeah, but seriously, you still have to wear it. 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, readster said:

I have officially come to the conclusion, that the costume department has members who just HATE Tracee and try to stick her in the ugliest outfits when given the chance.

I've come to the opposite conclusion.  I think Bow's outfits mirror Tracee's own style, so you'll occasionally see her wearing a cute, flattering outfit and other times, she'll look like she's coming off an all night bender and just threw on whatever in her closet was clean. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
On 11/20/2020 at 7:46 PM, jalady said:

Tracee Ellis Ross is a very attractive woman, but some of the fashion choices for Rainbow are awful.  Exhibit A: that pink, aluminum foil jumpsuit! 🤮

On 11/21/2020 at 10:12 AM, readster said:

I have officially come to the conclusion, that the costume department has members who just HATE Tracee and try to stick her in the ugliest outfits when given the chance. Then give the excuse of why Dre wears horrible outfits with a: "But they cost like $500 for something you look like you picked out of the gutter after it rained, because they spend money without thought." Yeah, but seriously, you still have to wear it. 

Particularly since everyone else looked really good at the wedding. Ruby’s dress was amazing and one of the best wedding dresses I have seen  on tv.

That jumpsuit hit her in all the wrong places and was not appropriate for a wedding.

Edited by qtpye
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, LadyintheLoop said:

How about that leopard-print thing Bow was hanging out of tonight? It made Diane's wardrobe choices look downright Amish.

No kidding. The episode did bring a bunch of stuff up I do believe is still constant in real life and on shows. You can get all in a huff about what your daughter wears or who she dates. Yet, your son does it and you just high five them. When Diane brought up how Jack could still get a girl pregnant. I had a joke with a co-worker years ago where she said that's how her father saw her and her younger brother. God forbid if she tried to wear what she wanted and date someone. But her brother would get high fives if he went out with someone "hot" or anything. I asked her if anyone ever called it out on her dad. She told me her aunt did multiple times and he just look at her like: "How dare you apply logic to my self reality." 

Oh Junior... when were you going to tell Skye that just can't do spicy. When you passed out on the floor or when never leave the bathroom for 4 hours? Though I have had that kind of curry before and it will not only burn your mouth, it will cure what ales you, but make sure you have a show to binge watch too.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, readster said:

Oh Junior... when were you going to tell Skye that just can't do spicy

That's not Skye.  Junior's girlfriend is named Olivia. Not the same actress/character that he met on Grown-ish.

Was there any mention of the pandemic on tonight's episode? If there was, I missed it. Kids back in school, talk of Jack making out with someone behind the bleachers or whatever...maybe COVID is over now in Black-ish world.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, Giuseppe said:

That's not Skye.  Junior's girlfriend is named Olivia. Not the same actress/character that he met on Grown-ish.

Was there any mention of the pandemic on tonight's episode? If there was, I missed it. Kids back in school, talk of Jack making out with someone behind the bleachers or whatever...maybe COVID is over now in Black-ish world.

Sorry, mixed them up. Yes, no COVID in fact apparently Bow went to a normal; "in person" Yoga class. Yet, you saw some distance with Dre at the office. 

• Love 3
On 11/25/2020 at 11:14 PM, LadyintheLoop said:

How about that leopard-print thing Bow was hanging out of tonight? It made Diane's wardrobe choices look downright Amish.

I honestly thought someone would bring up that they are freaking out over Diane's relatively chaste outfits, while Bow's boobs are about to burst out of her skintight yoga outfit.

I did laugh when Dre said the only thing between Diane and maternity pants could be a breath mint.

• Love 5

Secrets are the foundation of all relationships. Okay, Ruby. 🙄

Junior should aspire for Olivia to blow up his boat one day. 🤗

You can dress like a jalapeño popper if you want to. Good to know. 🤔

Yeah, that little fast Ashley better watch herself. Jack is not trying to be a baby daddy. 😒

Funny that Ruby's song with all her romantic relationships has been Let's Stay Together. Apparently none of the men got the message. Until now, maybe.🙂

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Love 4
On 11/25/2020 at 9:41 PM, Giuseppe said:

On 11/26/2020 at 6:24 AM, readster said:

Yes, no COVID in fact apparently Bow went to a normal; "in person" Yoga class. Yet, you saw some distance with Dre at the office. 

I wish we could get rid of COVID that fast in real life.  Even the wedding with people from all over the country ended up not being a super spreader event. I think the distancing on the show is because the actors still have to worry about COVID, even if the characters don't. 

I imagine the conversation in the writers's room --

"Wow, I think we wrote a really powerful episode about the importance of wearing masks and socially distancing."

A little later - "The wedding is a great plot line, but we should at least mention COVID."

A little later - "Screw COVID. There aren't any good plots and masks are ruining the show. Let's pretend it's over"

• Love 4

Loved Ruby's wedding dress it was gorgeous and looked great on her. I'm glad Dre talking Junior down from proposing to Olivia. I did laugh when he was practicing what to say and starts saying how great this year has been then catches himself and remembers no this has been a horrible year. I didn't think Rhonda would be there in person but I wish they had set up a laptop to make it look like she was watching. It would have been a nice touch.

I loved the next episode its so true to life. Yep, boys get high fived for sex while girls get the opposite. Its always ticked me off. It happens a lot on TV but very rarely gets pointed out. We get the Dads freaking out but rarely called out for it and if they do its usually the I'm a dad I'm trying or some crap like that. I'm glad Diane pointed not only that out but mentioning Junior could get a girl pregnant. Yes! Thank you Diane! 

• Love 1

They should’ve just never brought up covid. Because it’s weird now they are ignoring it.

Junior sucks. I really don’t like the character and the actor who plays him is not good. His storylines are so stupid. Is he working? What is he doing. Who cares about him and his stupid gf who cane out of nowhere.

That leopard thing Bow was wearing was ridiculous lol.

• Love 2
51 minutes ago, Marley said:

Junior sucks. I really don’t like the character and the actor who plays him is not good. His storylines are so stupid. Is he working? What is he doing. Who cares about him and his stupid gf who cane out of nowhere.

He was written better and acted better on his guest appearances on Grown-ish. Which, proves that while same creative teams, they have better stories with either Junior at college or playing off Zoey. Here, he is in the "huh zone" .

• Love 1

I didn't mind Bow's yoga outfit because it was downright conservative to what many women wear to yoga. Bra tops and bootie shorts are pretty standard.

I'm glad that the show addressed the fact that even in 2020, we STILL have double standards for what is acceptable behavior for boys and girls. It's fucking ridiculous. And I wanted to high five Diane when she pointed out that Jack could get someone pregnant yet no one was clutching their pearls about that. I needed a cameo from the mom on Everybody Hates Chris: "I ain't raising no babies!"

I think what would have been more useful than Dre's usual hissyfit was talking to Diane about how everything is forever once you post it on the internet. I know that high school kids might not think it's a big deal but if Bow had told Diane, "Imagine how you would feel if you went online and found sexy pictures of younger me or one of your teachers. You don't want your kids or your employer to be in that position of finding those pictures of you!"

• Love 7

I guess they feel like now that they acknowledged the masked elephant in the living room, they don't really feel the need to deal with it, which is weird, but I guess I get it. They want to have different plots, and technically a lot of this could happen with or without COVID, but you would think we would at least have a few masks or not have Bow going to yoga while wearing...that leotard thing. Ouch. 

Not a bad episode, talking about double standards online, and Bow and Dre both worked well together talking to Jack and Diane. You would think though that Diane might respond better to reminding her (and Jack) that the internet is forever and posting things now might seem fun, but could come back to haunt them while looking for jobs or scholarships.  

• Love 1

I didn't mind Bow's yoga outfit because it was downright conservative to what many women wear to yoga. Bra tops and bootie shorts are pretty standard.

I'd bet, though, that some of those women weren't so cruelly victimized by time and gravity.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
22 minutes ago, LadyintheLoop said:

I'd bet, though, that some of those women weren't so cruelly victimized by time and gravity.

I agree. when I was younger I could get away with dressing incredibly sexy but as you age things change.  it’s time to cover up a little I don’t mean Amish but let’s not look classless. 

6 hours ago, Marley said:

Ugh still not liking Junior. I wish he would leave the show.

He really has no use any more and everything he puts himself into or his opinion on things just makes you go: "What world do you live in?" They have not had any idea what to do with Junior since they did his "gap year" and we all know how that went. Including the writings saying: "Well, we had no plan for Junior, we were just hoping it eventually work itself out and sadly it didn't." Well, duh!

I feel like we've seen this "Dre isn't as street as he thinks he is" plot half a dozen times over the course of the series.  We get it.  Though I did enjoy Bow's line of "You bring up being from Compton more than I bring up being a doctor.

As for Bow's yoga outfit, I was fine with it except for the top because 1) it just looked bad, Tracee Ellis Ross is in good shape but gravity gets us all in the end and 2) why would you wear something that low cut to exercise in?  Just seems impractical.

• Love 1

Thanks to the stockings I can finally spell DeVante's name. I guess Pops watched him when "the whole family" went to Compton. Hearing him and the dog off-screen felt so perfunctory -- how could they open gifts without the little one present?

Ms. Cameron was great.

• Love 2