Type keyword(s) to search

Season 7 Discussion

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

19 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Dre losing his shit about his kids interests not lining up with his is consistent at least. 

I really feel like this show has completely run out of ideas.  How many episodes have they done that are variations of: "Dre's child, Bow or parents do something Dre does not understand.  Dre becomes flustered and discusses it with work buddies who give him advice he ignores.  Dre then wildly overreacts and ends up apologizing." 

I did LOL when they were talking about Junior apparently having a work ethic.  I don't think we've seen him do any actual work this season. 

• Love 5

Zoey got Dre's looks? Um, no.

Lol, how would Jack know what Arkansas smells like?

Vegan wings? Yuck.

Yeah, Jack is too old not to know pepperoni is meat. They should've gone with jerky instead. Sometimes I still wonder what's in those stick things.

Diane is investing in Turkmenistan and learning how to speak Russian. Of course.

I think creating a lot of negative drama around food is good way of encouraging eating disorders in your kids. It seems like that may have happened with Dre. It would've been interesting to have had Ruby in on this vegan thing.

• Love 1
(edited)

Jack is really stupid,7 quite frankly. I don’t like Dre but he is not dumb & Bo is a dr.....So did they drop him on his head? He didn’t know pepperoni was meat and though “synthetic” was a type of animal you make leather out of. Diane is a horrible person. Junior is lovable but needs to get a life plan. Don’t care about other daughter who left of the youngest child  we never see. 

Edited by chediavolo
name
1 hour ago, chediavolo said:

Junior is really stupid,7 quite frankly. I don’t like Dre but he is not dumb & Bo is a dr.....So did they drop him on his head? He didn’t know pepperoni was meat and though “synthetic” was a type of animal you make leather out of. Diane is a horrible person. Junior is lovable but needs to get a life plan. Don’t cate another other daughter who left of the.youngest child  we never see. 

They have CONSTANTLY shown Junior to be dumb about the most stupidest things. Same with Jack at times, it's not only tiresome, but to the point where you don't know how he is still alive. Of course, look at some politicians. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, readster said:

They have CONSTANTLY shown Junior to be dumb about the most stupidest things. Same with Jack at times, it's not only tiresome, but to the point where you don't know how he is still alive. Of course, look at some politicians. 

I meant to write Jack! fixed it . junior is dumb also though!

• Love 1

I've taken this show off my DVR.  I can't stand Dre.  It's gone so downhill from what it used to be.

Maybe they need to decide to end it.  I remember I felt the same way about The Middle.  The husband (forgot his name now) became so irritating I couldn't stand to watch it.

• Love 1

Shocking that we had yet another episode where Dre was an immature hypocritical baby who had a temper tantrum when he didn't get his way. The fact that he assumed Bow getting him a fitness watch meant that she was trying to control him shows you exactly what kind of ridiculous logic he employs. But of course his typical overreaction is to BUY A FERRARI. JFC.

• Love 2

I mean, I could tell right away that Bow was going to win that one. Bow spends all day running around a hospital while Dre works at an office and his pastimes mostly include chicken wings and complaining. So that's two episodes in a row of Dre being a whiny baby who cant handle something as minor as Dre losing a race and Bow wanting him to get in better shape. His wife's who's a doctor. Dre's logic and reasoning behind why he gets so upset about things is so bizarre, no wonder Bow practices debating with him. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, tennisgurl said:

I mean, I could tell right away that Bow was going to win that one. Bow spends all day running around a hospital while Dre works at an office and his pastimes mostly include chicken wings and complaining. So that's two episodes in a row of Dre being a whiny baby who cant handle something as minor as Dre losing a race and Bow wanting him to get in better shape. His wife's who's a doctor. Dre's logic and reasoning behind why he gets so upset about things is so bizarre, no wonder Bow practices debating with him. 

Exactly. She is on her feet all day at the hospital and we've seen that she goes to yoga and the gym (see previous posts where Bow's yoga outfits were called classless and people said she should cover up her old gravity ravaged body) while Dre's exercise routine appears to be walking from the sofa to the car. I don't know how Dre thought he could beat her in a race knowing that she has a regular fitness routine and he does not. Oh, right. He's totally delusional.

On top of that, Bow wasn't the one who was pressuring him to get into shape. He was the one who immediately switched to plain oatmeal after she won the race. Once he told her that he was going to get into shape, she offered him resources like putting him in touch with her trainer and getting him a fitness watch. It's not like he lost the race and she said, "Your fat ass needs to get to the gym!" but somehow he was acting like she was the bad guy in the situation.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

Junior swims in a shirt.

Bow dreaming like Christopher Williams. New Jack Swing, baby!

I'm with Olivia on mixing guacamole and salsa together. Why would you do that? Would you mix cake and pie? Coke and Pepsi? Chili and chicken noodle soup? Nope.

Uncle Doctor Charlie.

Oh hey, T.O., how you doin'? Nice to see he's still keeping it tight as he's coasting toward age 50.

Yeah, Dre should've known better than to race Bow. He's so out of shape, Shape appears but a tiny blip on the distant coast of Fitness.

Yeesh, how much does a new Ferrari like that cost? I didn't realize Dre and Bow were so well off. Even if Dre financed it the payments must be more than most people make in a month. I'm having a hard time seeing the humor in it right now.

56 minutes ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

I'm with Olivia on mixing guacamole and salsa together. Why would you do that? Would you mix cake and pie? Coke and Pepsi? Chili and chicken noodle soup? Nope.

I knew someone who made her own guacamole by mashing up avocados and mixing in salsa.  It was very tasty.  When I watched the episode, I thought - "He mixes salsa and guacamole? Isn't that redundant?"  So I looked up guacamole recipes and they basically say to mash avocados and ad tomatoes, onions, garlic, cilantro and some sort of pepper - which are the typical ingredients in salsa.  

• Love 1
(edited)

guacamole recipes and they basically say to mash avocados and ad tomatoes, onions, garlic, cilantro and some sort of pepper - which are the typical ingredients in salsa.  

That's true. However, I think mixing guacamole and salsa would increase the  proportions of tomatoes, onion, etc. that would ordinarily be in guacamole. I also think the consistency of the guacamole would likely change, such that it would become something more like guacamole soup. That's not appetizing to me. The only time I mix guac and salsa together is when I get a burrito bowl at Chipotle. <chef's kiss>

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
clockwork
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Yeesh, how much does a new Ferrari like that cost? I didn't realize Dre and Bow were so well off. Even if Dre financed it the payments must be more than most people make in a month. I'm having a hard time seeing the humor in it right now.

I don't think any sense can ever be made of the family's finances.  Dre's wardrobe budget alone probably runs a few thousand dollars per month. 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, needschocolate said:

I knew someone who made her own guacamole by mashing up avocados and mixing in salsa.  It was very tasty.  When I watched the episode, I thought - "He mixes salsa and guacamole? Isn't that redundant?"  So I looked up guacamole recipes and they basically say to mash avocados and ad tomatoes, onions, garlic, cilantro and some sort of pepper - which are the typical ingredients in salsa.  

As someone who grew up in southern California, I've seen a huge variety in what people call guacamole. Some people keep it really simple with just avocado and some spices (salt, onion powder, garlic powder). Other people throw in everything but the kitchen sink. The only thing that everyone agrees on is that it has to contain avocado.

The most common version of guacamole includes diced onions, tomatoes, and something with heat like jalapeños (all salsa ingredients) so Junior mixing guacamole and salsa seemed redundant to me too. The only reason I cringed a little bit at Junior's version is that if you have a wetter salsa and you just dump it into guacamole, you can make the texture of the guacamole too loose.

6 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Especially after we had that episode where Dre and Bow went to a financial planner and had to tighten their budget!

• Love 2
22 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

That's true. However, I think mixing guacamole and salsa would increase the  proportions of tomatoes, onion, etc. that would ordinarily be in guacamole. I also think the consistency of the guacamole would likely change, such that it would become something more like guacamole soup. That's not appetizing to me. The only time I mix guac and salsa together is when I get a burrito bowl at Chipotle. <chef's kiss>

22 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

The only reason I cringed a little bit at Junior's version is that if you have a wetter salsa and you just dump it into guacamole, you can make the texture of the guacamole too loose.

Avocado + Salsa = Guacamole

Guacamole + Salsa = A messy, watered down guacamole wannabe

If you want a dip that is that heavy on the salsa and light on the avocado, it would be better to add chunks of avocado to a bowl of salsa.  Junior's "recipe" makes as much sense as adding a can of chicken broth to a can of chicken noodle soup.  

• Love 3

So if Olivia already lives on her own in a nice place, why would adding a second income suddenly mean they have to downgrade to live in some shithole slum? A second income of a guy who is from a rich family so let’s be real here, he’s not hurting for money. That whole storyline was just so fake and stupid.

• Love 8

The apartment searching storyline was so stupid. They are splitting things now so they have to move to a dump. Idiotic. I guess they were trying to get a new place together but why would they have to get a dump? I love also how all of a sudden Junior is back at work with everyone. So stupid. Also Junior sucks.

Dre continues to be a douche.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Marley said:

The apartment searching storyline was so stupid. They are splitting things now so they have to move to a dump. Idiotic. I guess they were trying to get a new place together but why would they have to get a dump? I love also how all of a sudden Junior is back at work with everyone. So stupid. Also Junior sucks.

Dre continues to be a douche.

Never understood moving in together means we have to get a new place. 🙄 A better episode would be Junior and Olivia adjusting to moving in with his things and getting used to their daily habits and quirks 

• Love 5
6 hours ago, Arcadiasw said:

Never understood moving in together means we have to get a new place. 🙄 A better episode would be Junior and Olivia adjusting to moving in with his things and getting used to their daily habits and quirks 

I think Olivia said towards the end that they (or maybe just she) wanted a place they could call their own and make new memories, I guess without memories of Olivia's current place. But going from a great place to squalor just was a bad idea and I'm glad Junior spoke up

• Love 5
16 hours ago, DanaK said:

I think Olivia said towards the end that they (or maybe just she) wanted a place they could call their own and make new memories, I guess without memories of Olivia's current place. But going from a great place to squalor just was a bad idea and I'm glad Junior spoke up

Yes, why the heck could they not just make memories at Olivia's relatively nice place? They actually had already started that with all the flashbacks (Jr changing the smoke alarm batteries). I mean they are probably going to be sleeping in the same bed and the place seemed to have enough room for two.

Also, she can afford a nice place on her own but now has to live in a dump with Jr's added income?

• Love 5
3 hours ago, qtpye said:

Yes, why the heck could they not just make memories at Olivia's relatively nice place? They actually had already started that with all the flashbacks (Jr changing the smoke alarm batteries). I mean they are probably going to be sleeping in the same bed and the place seemed to have enough room for two.

Also, she can afford a nice place on her own but now has to live in a dump with Jr's added income?

That's exactly it. I mean when my wife and I got married, she looked forward to living in my duplex, she really liked the space. A few years before I met my wife. I did have my girlfriend living with me and she hated her previous apartment and really loved living in: a space friendly duplex, a nice neighborhood, she could walk to work instead of drive, ect. The entire story line is not only contrive, but it makes both Olivia and Jr look very dumb and self sabotaging things just because you know, reasons. 

• Love 3

I thought that this would be about Junior and Olivia adjusting to living together, not them looking for places unnecessarily. I really don't get why they couldn't just move into Olivia's nice place, just moving somewhere new to "make new memories together" is frankly a lame excuse to have them move into some crappy place that they'll hate. In fact, if they combine their incomes, shouldn't they be able to afford a better place? If Junior has a job (that we never see him do) and Olivia apparently has some kind of income if she can afford a cute place, wouldn't it make sense for them to have somewhere decent? What a stupid contrived plot. 

"Your like if Drake never left Degrassi." I don't know, even Degrassi Drake is a whole lot cooler than Junior. 

• Love 4
5 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

"Your like if Drake never left Degrassi." I don't know, even Degrassi Drake is a whole lot cooler than Junior. 

Junior isn't messaging 14 year old girls, so I'll take him over Drake.

• Love 1
On 4/7/2021 at 11:19 AM, DanaK said:

But going from a great place to squalor just was a bad idea and I'm glad Junior spoke up

While it was nonsensical that their combined resources would mean a drastic drop in lifestyle (for Olivia; Junior is going to be downsizing no matter what because his parents' house is nice), I kept thinking that there's nothing wrong with not wanting to live in squalor. Like if they are trying to paint Junior as bougie like Dre, then the angle would be to have him complain about not living in the kind of place he grew up in - having unrealistic expectations about what he could expect to find on his entry-level budget. "There's no guest house?!" is bougie. "I don't want to live in a pit in a dangerous neighborhood" is not.

• Love 7

Although I think it's fine that Junior is moving out of the house, everything about the way this was carried out was nonsensical. First of all, Olivia already had a nice place. Yes, it's small but since we saw that Junior was spending a lot of time there, it's big enough for two people. She might need to make some room for his clothes and shoes, but it seems like her place was big enough to accommodate the two of them at the beginning of the episode, so why was it suddenly urgent that they find a new place?

Secondly, if that's what she could afford on her own, why were they suddenly looking at tiny gross places in bad neighborhoods? They should be upgrading since they will have twice the amount of money to spend on rent.

Thirdly, there's nothing wrong with Junior not wanting to live in some of the places that Charlie showed them, but the lesson here should have been that he can express that without going full Dre. You can find lots of polite ways of saying, "I don't think this is the right place for us," instead of yelling dramatically about it all.

And it's not like there was a pressing time constraint forcing them to move into whatever crappy place Charlie could find on short notice. They could have kept looking until they found a bigger apartment in a nicer neighborhood.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, HyeChaps said:

If they had gone with a legit real estate broker, they may have found something appropriate in their budget.

I don't know why they needed someone to help them find an apartment to rent. Most people are able to find a place to rent on their own. I remember even back in the olden days, college kids would just grab one of those free "apartment for rent" books at the grocery store and look for places that were in their price range and neighborhood.

On 4/7/2021 at 11:19 AM, DanaK said:

She was already paying for a nice apartment on her own how does it make any sense that with two incomes combined they would have to rent a shitty place? 

• Love 4

Dual Pelotons. Oy. Jack and Diane are truly some spoiled children, lol.

IRL are there actually street addresses containing the number 666? I'd think not, for reasons similar to how tall buildings usually don't have a 13th floor.

Venus roach trap.

I thought official documents are signed in black ink because blue ink doesn't photocopy well, not because it's the law or something. Where does Junior get this stuff?

"Full of false confidence for no reason." Yep, that's Dre.

Don't put Junior's name on the lease, Olivia. Just sayin'. He's a tad flighty.

S7.E18: My Dinner with Andre Junior

Junior and Olivia invite an excited Bow and Dre over for dinner in their new apartment, but upon arrival, they immediately become concerned with the young couple's living conditions. Meanwhile, Diane bonds with Pops as she asks for his advice on dating.

Original air date: 4/20/21

On 4/17/2021 at 5:19 PM, Joimiaroxeu said:

Dual Pelotons. Oy. Jack and Diane are truly some spoiled children, lol.

IRL are there actually street addresses containing the number 666? I'd think not, for reasons similar to how tall buildings usually don't have a 13th floor.

Venus roach trap.

I thought official documents are signed in black ink because blue ink doesn't photocopy well, not because it's the law or something. Where does Junior get this stuff?

"Full of false confidence for no reason." Yep, that's Dre.

Don't put Junior's name on the lease, Olivia. Just sayin'. He's a tad flighty.

Yes, there are street addresses containing the number 666.  I worked at 666 Fifth Avenue in Manhattan and my lawyer’s former office building on Long Island had a 666 address.  

• Love 1

Ahh, the memories of my first place. Our couch was up on blocks and if you didn’t sit properly, it would come crashing down. Crappy first places build character. 
I liked the Fresh Prince inspired throwing out of Bradlay/Bradley. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, hula-la said:

Ahh, the memories of my first place. Our couch was up on blocks and if you didn’t sit properly, it would come crashing down. Crappy first places build character. 
I liked the Fresh Prince inspired throwing out of Bradlay/Bradley. 

The rest of the issues were pretty minimal, but the door getting stuck and the pest problems did need to be attended to. Also that place is very small for two people - I think it was a studio?

I loved the Pops/Diane interaction this episode.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, A.Ham said:

I didn’t understand. The place was nice enough when they decided to stay there, but rats with babies? Aw hells no. 

That's what confused me.  Olivia has been living there for a while already. They looked at other dumps but opted to go with her place because it was nice. 

• Love 4

Olivia's place seemed fine in the previous episodes so I don't know why it suddenly became a disastrous dump. Yes, the landlord needs to fix the door and deal with the mice but Dre and Bow were acting like Junior and Olivia were living inside a volcano or something. Like take it down a notch there, you bougie drama queens. I have no idea why their solution was for Junior and Olivia to move in with them. HELL NO!

• Love 12

I watched the two most recent episodes back to back and her apartment was definitely not that sketchy and I could have sworn it was bigger than a studio. I know he mentioned the NEW apartment building management, but it shouldn't have fallen to shit-hole status that quickly. 

• Love 7
15 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Olivia's place seemed fine in the previous episodes so I don't know why it suddenly became a disastrous dump. Yes, the landlord needs to fix the door and deal with the mice but Dre and Bow were acting like Junior and Olivia were living inside a volcano or something. Like take it down a notch there, you bougie drama queens. I have no idea why their solution was for Junior and Olivia to move in with them. HELL NO!

It doesn't surprise me that much, a lot of places look clean and nice but have significant hidden problems. Dre was actually right about the potential fire/death trap that was the overloaded kitchen outlets (especially combined with the stuck door), but that seems like a problem Junior and Olivia could solve by just not leaving everything plugged in when not in use.

• Love 2

Dre and Bow are such drama queens, a terrible apartment is a right of passage! They really do need to deal with the rats and the door. The rest can be dealt with, but the door is a major fire hazard and rats are just....yuck. This episode also really showed how much Olivia resembles Bow (even Bow noticed) and I am so not shocked that Junior could end up with a women who reminds him of his mother. 

I will always enjoy an episode that features a lot of Pops. 

• Love 7

Oh look, someone remembered Devante. Just barely. 🙄

Junior said he wouldn't be where he is without Bow and Dre. Now that's what I'd call damning with faint praise.

"Iron sharpens iron." But who's the first iron tho, Dre? 😑

Slacks magazine. Shirts magazine. And lol at Diane having to pay Pops for advice.

Loved, loved, loved Diane's bantu knots.

Dre sure knows how to torture some analogies and metaphors. 🤯

Brad-ley from the Bay was begging get schooled about his saditty attitude. He's cute with Diane and I hope he sticks around for a while.

Meh, they had already telegraphed that Fresh Prince bit earlier in the episode.

Apparently while in the womb, Diane bogarted the intelligence genes and there wasn't much left for her twin. I think Jack seems to get slower on the uptake every week. It's puzzling to me.

• Love 1

S07.E19: Missions and Ambitions

After having a conversation about deal breakers in relationships with Bow, Dre realizes that he gave up on some of his goals in life and begins tackling them; Junior worries Olivia might leave him after she mentions her deal breakers.

Original air date: 4/27/21

Looks like Dre will be getting a new employer or his own agency. That competition between Rainbow and Dre really took a dark turn for a minute but Dre did the mature thing and apologized and then talked to Bow about his unhappiness about work and they figured it out together

• Love 4

So Dre is just riding around on a bike  without a motorcycle license? Without knowing how to ride? Oh, ha ha how funny & completely ridiculous. Death be damned. Nice he can go out & buy a tens of thousands of dollars bike on a whim.  
I can’t believe this Bow is the same lovely girl from Mixed-ish. . 
And it was never resolved that Junior wants to have children but his girlfriend does not. He will be sorry someday. 
I used to really like this show but now just watching for the years I invested in it. 

• Love 1
35 minutes ago, chediavolo said:

So Dre is just riding around on a bike  without a motorcycle license? Without knowing how to ride? Oh, ha ha how funny & completely ridiculous. Death be damned. Nice he can go out & buy a tens of thousands of dollars bike on a whim.  
I can’t believe this Bow is the same lovely girl from Mixed-ish. . 
And it was never resolved that Junior wants to have children but his girlfriend does not. He will be sorry someday. 
I used to really like this show but now just watching for the years I invested in it. 

Junior seems to think Nicole is his one and only, but she doesn’t have to be. He’s still pretty young, he shouldn’t get so serious just yet and her not wanting kids while he does is a pretty serious divide to work through

• Love 3