Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E04: Nothing Like It in the World

Bort
  • Start Topic

Road trip! The Boys head to North Carolina to follow a lead on a mysterious Supe named Liberty. And did you know a person's choice of candy bars might tell you if they're a serial killer? Watch and learn the warning signs! This episode could save your life!

Airdate: 11 September 2020

Guys always go to X-Ray and watch the Deleted Scenes (really wish they would subtitle these), Commentary Tracks, Trivia Questions, and watch "Inside The Boys" after show, it would answer a lot of the question that I have seen posted here. It also has information about how the TV Series differs from the Comic Books.

The scene where Hughie and Starlight are doing it in the Motel, they turn out the light, Hughie never gets to see that Starlight is injured. In the dark, Hughie might put it in the wrong hole, the one Homelander made when he fingered Starlight.

Doppelganger dies looking like Homelander in a Negligee, wouldn't it be funny if Doppelganger never turned back and somebody found Homelander dead in a Negligee and in was put in all the papers. Homelander would have nobody to blame but himself.

Black Noir never talks, but it would be funny if he had a high pitched, squeaky voice that everybody would recognize if he did. Maybe we will find out next week in the episode he stars in.

Lot's of junk food, in this episode, I guess using real names of popular comfort foods made the characters more relatable.  I wonder if they were paid to promote certain candy bars and beers.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Lot's of junk food, in this episode, I guess using real names of popular comfort foods made the characters more relatable.  I wonder if they were paid to promote certain candy bars and beers.

If I remember correctly, I feel like Garth Ennis would do that.  In particular, I think there was often mentions of Sierra Nevada in the comics.  I assumed it was Ennis mentioning his favorite beer.  In a TV show, it's quite a different thing, though.

Did this episode seem to be lacking in any humor at all?

2 hours ago, Citizen A said:

Did this episode seem to be lacking in any humor at all?

Like I mentioned earlier, "Homelander in a Negligee" everything about those scenes screamed weird and humor. Homelander seems to love milk, it is getting to be a running joke. MM turning off the radio, instead of joining in the Carpool Karaoke. Hughie deciding to bunk with MM instead of you know who and finding out MM snores.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Like I mentioned earlier, "Homelander in a Negligee" everything about those scenes screamed weird and humor. Homelander seems to love milk, it is getting to be a running joke. MM turning off the radio, instead of joining in the Carpool Karaoke. Hughie deciding to bunk with MM instead of you know who and finding out MM snores.

Unfortunately, for me, everything you cited was very mildly amusing at best.....

I actually liked that episode most out of all the ones they've had this season so far.  I prefer creepy Homelander to murdering Homelander.  And speaking of Homelander, I guess he did rape Becca?  Unless she's lying to Butcher?  Because based on everything they said/showed last season, I really didn't think he'd raped her.  I thought that she'd had a one afternoon stand with him, felt bad about it then disappeared since being pregnant with a superbaby wouldn't really work out with her married life with Butcher.  Also, when Butcher confronted Homelander about it last season, he said it was consensual and I didn't see a reason why he'd lie about that since he enjoys sticking it to Butcher and it's not like he's going to get arrested or anything.  

Glad they got straight to the point about Stormfront being Liberty. I was worried they were going to drag that out for a few more episodes.  Honestly, this season's been very sophmore slump for me so far.  All the characters are just kind of spinning their wheels and not much seems to be actually happening.

• Love 2
28 minutes ago, Snapdragon said:

Also, when Butcher confronted Homelander about it last season, he said it was consensual and I didn't see a reason why he'd lie about that since he enjoys sticking it to Butcher

I don't think that he would admit it though because he's all about his image. It makes more sense for him to tell Butcher that is was consensual because it would hurt him more to know that his wife willingly cheated on him. I see no reason for Becca to lie about what happened to her especially since she seems to know that Butcher will keep pursuing Homelander no matter what she said.

• Love 3

Spinning Wheels? Yawn?

I don't get it.

Every character has something going this season instead of a chunk of characters just being background characters. The characters are evolving and encountering new conflicts. It's not spinning it's wheels at all.

This episode needed to be a slow down. There was so much that happened in episode three. They have to deal with the fallout now.

This episode was really character based. Especially on the side of the boys where we learned more about them or got to see them in their natural state with Hughie.

Homelander outing Maeve is one of the shittiest things he's done yet. It's so personal. He's always trying to fuck with who he can't control. He was trying to throw his weight around with everyone. 

That shot of the man with his face smashed made me recoil and watch horror stuff all the time. 

Seeing how far reaching Stormfront's character reaches back just hurts.

Sadly it reminded of how watchmen, which melded history with heroes and race in such an interesting way.

And of course she wants homelander to be her shining beacon of is right. What the master race should look like.

I do admire the show for making a woman in this type of show so scummy. I feel like others show might not do it through fear of judgment over the image of a strong woman being so nasty. 

I don't know what think of Butcher and his wife but I'm always distracted when she's onscreen. Her and Meghan Markle look so alike.

Edited by Racj82
  • Love 17

I wonder if they were paid to promote certain candy bars and beers.

Probably; "product placement" is a long-standing practice in entertainment.  Songs, books, and even plays also do it (sometimes for free, sometimes for hire or free product.)

I laughed at the callback about the Translucent tribute song being all over the radio, especially since last week, I said how much I liked it.  The Billy Joel callback was also kind of clever--but this episode was either slower than previous weeks, or building to future events.  (At least now we know what Doppleganger probably looked like when he's not performing, and it was nice to see Elizabeth Shue again.)   That Annie doesn't like Starlighter has been explored in Spider-Man, but I like the way they're handling it.

I wondered where they were going with the "dating videos", and in classic The Boys fashion, The Deep meets his dream woman, and loses out on her.

That Storm Front=Liberty=racist in part because she's much older was interesting; as I get older myself I find the "old people are racist" trope troubling.

This show had some interesting details, like the barn painting of Stormlander with a Confederate Battle Flag cape, and the anti-abortion billboard.

• Love 3
25 minutes ago, Racj82 said:

I don't know what think of Butcher and his wife but I'm always distracted when she's onscreen. Her and Meghan Markle look so alike.

I said the same thing to my coworkers! They didn't see it but I can't help but to think it every time she's on screen.

• Love 2

I didn't realize that Becca was kept in complete isolation, with no real-time news.  That's really shitty of Vought. 
I'm glad that she chose her son over her husband.  Butcher is a heartless bastard, I thought he would be an exception for his wife.

I thought Homelander was hallucinating Caldwell - I completely forgot about Doppelganger.  Can't believe he set up a cabin and played make-believe every night.  I was very glad he wasn't so narcissistic to actually fuck himself!

Hughie gets on my nerves, his head is always in the fucking clouds.  I'm glad Annie came back to Earth in the end.

I really hope they kill off Liberty/Stormfront soon.  The racial-based violence is hard to see.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, mjc570 said:

Yawn

Yeah, I was clock watching for most of it.  I managed to keep from fast forwarding, but it was a close call.  I think part of the reason it was so boring was that it was pretty predictable.  The only thing that caught me off guard was Liberty = Stormfront.  Now I wonder if she had another alias in the 1940s and was a contemporary of Soldier Boy.  Hell, compound V is such a deus ex pharmacum, maybe she is Soldier Boy.

Not one but two "sex with an ex" scenes   I dunno, maybe it's supposed to be symbolic of Hughie and Butcher being more alike that they would admit.  Didn't really care because it was obvious where each of them were going.

I thought it was hilarious (in a bad writing way) that Annie and Hughie were making NO effort to hide their identities while talking in broad daylight on a busy NYC street.  

• Love 3

I am officially not a fan of this release schedule. For such a serialized and compact show, it's the equivalent of watching just 20 minutes of a movie every week and judging those sections as standalones. Some sections would be action-packed and fast-paced, and slower sections devoted to character building and set-up would then be criticized separately as being too slow or dull. It's a pretty blue-balled experience to watch the season like this, and I can't make any holistic judgments until I can actually track the payoff of the character and story threads. 

That said, I'm enjoying what we've got so far. Episode three was a bombastic shocker, so it's only natural that its follow-up would take a breather before diving into some other ludicrous confrontation and/or bloodbath down the road. I think it was a toss-up on whether Homelander would actually get down with his doppleganger or kill him; both would have felt in character, lol. Butcher finally found his wife, but then got dumped over his volatility and lack of caring about her kid. MM was the tired single mom supervising her two nerd children on a road trip. Lots of good character stuff. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

Homelander concluded that he doesn't need anyone, and throughout the episode he was doing a good job of alienating everyone around him.

1. Outed Maeve
  2. Fired A-Train
  3. Attacked Starlight
  4. Threatened Stormfront
  5. Questioned Maria Menounos's journalistic integrity

It reminded me of the set-up for an Agatha Christie style murder mystery.  Asshole victim pisses off multiple people, giving them each motives for wanting him dead.  If they actually killed him, it'd be like a variation on the locked-room mystery: instead of "how could a killer get out of the locked room?" it'd be "how could a killer kill the unkillable?"

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, mac123x said:

Yeah, I was clock watching for most of it.  I managed to keep from fast forwarding, but it was a close call.  I think part of the reason it was so boring was that it was pretty predictable.  The only thing that caught me off guard was Liberty = Stormfront.  Now I wonder if she had another alias in the 1940s and was a contemporary of Soldier Boy.  Hell, compound V is such a deus ex pharmacum, maybe she is Soldier Boy.

Not one but two "sex with an ex" scenes   I dunno, maybe it's supposed to be symbolic of Hughie and Butcher being more alike that they would admit.  Didn't really care because it was obvious where each of them were going.

I thought it was hilarious (in a bad writing way) that Annie and Hughie were making NO effort to hide their identities while talking in broad daylight on a busy NYC street.  

Butcher didn't have sex with an ex. That's just his wife. They never actually broke up. They weren't really related imo.

5 hours ago, marketdoctor said:

Probably; "product placement" is a long-standing practice in entertainment.  Songs, books, and even plays also do it (sometimes for free, sometimes for hire or free product.)

I laughed at the callback about the Translucent tribute song being all over the radio, especially since last week, I said how much I liked it.  The Billy Joel callback was also kind of clever--but this episode was either slower than previous weeks, or building to future events.  (At least now we know what Doppleganger probably looked like when he's not performing, and it was nice to see Elizabeth Shue again.)   That Annie doesn't like Starlighter has been explored in Spider-Man, but I like the way they're handling it.

I wondered where they were going with the "dating videos", and in classic The Boys fashion, The Deep meets his dream woman, and loses out on her.

That Storm Front=Liberty=racist in part because she's much older was interesting; as I get older myself I find the "old people are racist" trope troubling.

This show had some interesting details, like the barn painting of Stormlander with a Confederate Battle Flag cape, and the anti-abortion billboard.

We saw what doppelganger looked liked on season one. Everytime he morphed out of the person he was pretending to be, it was the guy we saw here.

I can't agree with the bashing of this episode but I will say it was overstuffed. Streaming shows seem to have an issue with leaving scenes on the cutting room floor. 68 minutes this week? Unnecessary. It creates a feeling of drag. Especially with a dialogue heavy episode.

I was watching the episodes of Lucifer last week and at a certain point I was damn, how has this episode not ended yet. It had nothing to do with me thinking the episode was bad. They just could of trimmed some fat. 

Going from the network 41 to 42 minute drama standard to 55 plus is still a lot.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Snapdragon said:

And speaking of Homelander, I guess he did rape Becca?  Unless she's lying to Butcher?  Because based on everything they said/showed last season, I really didn't think he'd raped her.  I thought that she'd had a one afternoon stand with him, felt bad about it then disappeared since being pregnant with a superbaby wouldn't really work out with her married life with Butcher.  Also, when Butcher confronted Homelander about it last season, he said it was consensual and I didn't see a reason why he'd lie about that since he enjoys sticking it to Butcher and it's not like he's going to get arrested or anything.  

I'm not sure if the show is going to get this deep into an issue like rape. But that would be a really, really common situation. There are so, so many cases where a man rapes a woman but is actually so utterly ignorant about what consent actually is that he doesn't realise what he has done. (I remember this being a storyline on Felicity in the 90s.) In many countries the law even frames rape by intent rather than consequence. So if the man didn't set out to be a rapist, it doesn't actually matter if the woman consented or not. The man just has to convince the jury he assumed he had consent and he can't be convicted.

With Homelander being who he is, this would be especially true. He would assume he had Becca's consent, because why wouldn't he, everyone loves him and he can do whatever the hell he likes. While Becca in no way whatsoever consented to him.

• Love 5

Yeah, given how he can turn creepy on a dime and everyone is aware he could effortlessly kill them, issues of consent become real murky around him. Stillwell is the only person we've seen that I'm sure was with him of her own free will, and she was using sex as a means of control.

8 hours ago, Racj82 said:

Every time I see her I do a double take and have to remind myself she's not Jessalyn Gilsig circa 2009.

Yeah, I'm guessing Butcher's pathological hatred of supes was developing before Becca disappeared, if she could (correctly) guess that he'd be scheming to get rid of her son at first opportunity, even after it's revealed that she's still alive and physically unharmed and his vendetta toward Homelander was largely built on a mistaken assumption. Unless she's extrapolating from a basis of how he'd behave toward any stepchild, which would make him even more monstrous than the show has presented him so far.

With that realization I don't think her choice was really a choice at all—I can't see a mother who's given up as much as she has to raise her child in safety taking the chance.

• Love 4
22 hours ago, marketdoctor said:

That reminded me of the "God Hates Fangs" sign in the opening credits of True Blood

• Love 1

I'm having trouble reconciling Becca's version of Butcher to the Flashback we saw of Butcher and Butcher/Becca in S1. The implication last season was that Bitcher was a straightlaced Suit who went crazy/Obsessive after his wife's disappearance. Now, we find out he's always had one toe over the line?  I guess S1 Flashbacks could have been an unreliable narrator but, I'm having trouble getting there. 

The show has always drawn a parallel between Homelander/Butcher but, I think they may have retconned Butcher into to further match S2 Homelander.

Interesting but about Stormfront/Liberty. Makes me wonder why Edgar put her in the Seven? What's his angle?

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Just when I thought Homelander couldn't get any creepier, he spends evenings with fake Madelyn and a little time with himself. Until he decides he's better off by himself.

And no, that's not how choosing works, creepy cult lady. (I just realised she played Susan on Friends, the wife of Ross' ex-wfe.)

I'm quite impressed with Annie and how she deals with Homelander. Still, this can't go on.

I guess Stormfront couldn't do anything about Homelander's laser eyes? She backed down quite nicely. There is someone who is quite a bit smarter.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, supposebly said:

And no, that's not how choosing works, creepy cult lady. (I just realised she played Susan on Friends, the wife of Ross' ex-wfe.)

It was driving me nuts after episode 2 I had to IMDb her and got all the way back to Friends because I never saw her in anything else.

I for one had no issues with this episode or the season as a whole. Flew right by for me. Now, if I had been binging the whole season at once, I might have felt like this episode was long or dragged a bit, but since they are doling them out once a week I was fine with it.

Doppelganger did not, in fact, change back to his own form after Homelander killed him, as far as we saw, so I'm assuming Homelander will have to get rid of the body lest someone wander in and find "Homelander" lying dead in a negligee. 

But, can I just say . . . enough with Billy Joel already! Sheesh! I mean, I like Billy Joel as much as the next guy, I guess, but enough is enough. It's just so repetitive - pick some other music! /rant

• Love 4

I liked this,  as Racj82 said the characters all had something going on.  I didn't find it any less humorous than previous episodes. I don't find any of them rolling on the floor, just that it's a show that sometimes has amusing moments.   I really had forgotten about Doppelganger so was like "is he seeing things? Is this a clone of some sort?".  Boy I'm glad he didn't fuck himself.  I was really getting to turn my head away because that's just too creepy.  I assume it would be pretty easy for him to get rid of Doppelganger with his laser vision so his not changing back wouldn't be an issue.

Becca doesn't remind me of Markle, she reminds me of an Irish actress,  Charlene McKenna. 

Before I read the episode description I didn't suspect Stormfront was Liberty but after that, sort of knew it was coming.  I do wonder how far she goes back - does she go all the way back to WWII?  Is she a Supe Vought created when he was still in Nazi Germany before he switched sides when it became apparent the Allies would win?

18 minutes ago, tessathereaper said:

Before I read the episode description I didn't suspect Stormfront was Liberty but after that, sort of knew it was coming.  I do wonder how far she goes back - does she go all the way back to WWII?  Is she a Supe Vought created when he was still in Nazi Germany before he switched sides when it became apparent the Allies would win?

This would be my guess.  She's an actual Nazi who Vought brought over with him and is aging super slowly because of the V.  Or the Vought company put her on ice (so to speak) and brought her back out when they needed a replacement in the Seven (and either didn't care about her Nazi ways or thought she'd be less Nazi-ish this time around?)

Edited by Snapdragon
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
41 minutes ago, Bruinsfan said:

I'm going to go with option A, that the ruthless controlling power-hungry company founded by Nazis considers Stormfront's ideology a feature rather than a bug.

I think that makes sense, I mean look at the whole Christian Camp thing from S1.  The only problem is it makes me question Stan Edgar.

I can't believe how clearly they telegraphed that Stormfront was racist with that name alone, and the fact it went over my head. I feel dumb and yet kudos for how well they did that.

For those who don't know, Stormfront is the name of one of the original websites for hardcore white supremacists. It is still very active.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, AdorkableWitch said:

I can't believe how clearly they telegraphed that Stormfront was racist with that name alone, and the fact it went over my head. I feel dumb and yet kudos for how well they did that.

For those who don't know, Stormfront is the name of one of the original websites for hardcore white supremacists. It is still very active.

I thought that it was called The Daily Stormer? Or is that one of their many other websites?

8 minutes ago, DeeDee79 said:

I thought that it was called The Daily Stormer? Or is that one of their many other websites?

Stormfront has been around since the 1990's. The Daily Stormer was their attempt to appeal to younger folks who weren't into forum style sites that look like they were designed in 1995.

• Useful 1
19 minutes ago, AdorkableWitch said:

Stormfront has been around since the 1990's. The Daily Stormer was their attempt to appeal to younger folks who weren't into forum style sites that look like they were designed in 1995.

Oh, ok. Thanks for the info 🙂

On 9/11/2020 at 9:41 PM, Racj82 said:

Spinning Wheels? Yawn?

I don't get it.

Every character has something going this season instead of a chunk of characters just being background characters. The characters are evolving and encountering new conflicts. It's not spinning it's wheels at all.

This episode needed to be a slow down. There was so much that happened in episode three. They have to deal with the fallout now.

This episode was really character based. Especially on the side of the boys where we learned more about them or got to see them in their natural state with Hughie.

Homelander outing Maeve is one of the shittiest things he's done yet. It's so personal. He's always trying to fuck with who he can't control. He was trying to throw his weight around with everyone. 

That shot of the man with his face smashed made me recoil and watch horror stuff all the time. 

Seeing how far reaching Stormfront's character reaches back just hurts.

Sadly it reminded of how watchmen, which melded history with heroes and race in such an interesting way.

And of course she wants homelander to be her shining beacon of is right. What the master race should look like.

I do admire the show for making a woman in this type of show so scummy. I feel like others show might not do it through fear of judgment over the image of a strong woman being so nasty. 

Agreed! I've been enjoying the build-up so far. 

Aya Cash does such a great job at playing a morally crappy character. I enjoy watching Stormfront! We're going to see Homelander either bend the knee or team up with her to rule The Seven, I bet. This episode made it quite clear that The Seven aren't united on any front at this point, other than in the public eye. I'd like to think that there is potential for Starlight and Queen Maeve to create a new team. 

Speaking of...my heart goes out to Maeve. Not only was she outed on TV, now she has to worry about the safety of her love interest / friend. 

Homelander is such a creepy and sadistic mofo; I am here for it! It's going to be all the sweeter when his ass (hopefully) gets taken down at some point. 

Butcher and his wife -- it seems pretty damn certain that she was raped by Homelander. 

It was good to see Hughie, MM, and Starlight bond during the trip. Frenchie and Kimiko have great chemistry. Looking forward to seeing that arc. It seems like he needs to be saved from himself.

I have not read the comics, so have no prior knowledge of these characters, which is probably a good thing. I can imagine if you enjoy the comics, then you might not enjoy the direction the show takes. 

• Love 1
On 9/14/2020 at 1:31 PM, AdorkableWitch said:

Same here. I didn’t pick up the hint at all.

On 9/13/2020 at 4:52 AM, Morrigan2575 said:

Interesting but about Stormfront/Liberty. Makes me wonder why Edgar put her in the Seven? What's his angle?

I wonder if she's related to Vought's founder mentioned by Edgar on top of being one of the first supes. 

Spinning Wheels? Yawn?

I don't get it.

The episode lacked action scenes, so if that's the main draw for you I can see how you'd be disappointed. In fact the show has been plugging the violence and gore as a selling point, much to my disappointment. That's not what I'm in it for, personally, but if that's your bag, to each his/her own. I enjoyed the character moments this episode had to offer. Homelander in particular is a fascinating study in warped psychology. 

• Love 2
On 9/13/2020 at 1:04 PM, iMonrey said:

Doppelganger did not, in fact, change back to his own form after Homelander killed him, as far as we saw, so I'm assuming Homelander will have to get rid of the body lest someone wander in and find "Homelander" lying dead in a negligee. 

Homelander could use a dead body double to his advantage if he wanted to find out how people really feel about him..

On 9/15/2020 at 1:47 PM, MissScarlett said:

Butcher and his wife -- it seems pretty damn certain that she was raped by Homelander. 

Butcher's wife was in a no-win situation: no one can refuse Homelander, the psychopathic super-being. If she had fought back, she may have ended up dead or severely injured. 
Now Homelander feel alienated because he knows everyone is lying to him - - but everyone *has* to lie to him, because if he doesn't like what he hears, he tends to kill people. It's a vicious circle. 

Something that I would like an explanation for is why would Vought put Stormfront in the 7 when all she does is bad-mouth Vought? Is there some strategy on their part? Is Stormfront a loose cannon that the company regrets hiring? She does manage to occasionally point out female exploitation - but mostly she is awful and now appears to be a hate-monger with an agenda. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, shrewd.buddha said:

Something that I would like an explanation for is why would Vought put Stormfront in the 7 when all she does is bad-mouth Vought?

I wouldn't be surprised if Stormfront didn't own Vought since she has probably been around since the company was founded. That might explain why Stan Edgar would say that Homelander is not the most important person in the company.

It was interesting when Homelander saw all those memes about him because even with his power, he couldn't really stop the people who were being mean to him on the internet, especially since he seems to not be all that hip with the technology these days. It did make me think of an episode of "iZombie." Steven Weber played an evil CEO who picked a negative tweet at random, did some internet magic and the next day there was video of the kid who wrote it dead from an "accident."

Homelander is homicidal, but it's all about control. When Becca or Starlight basically told him they weren't afraid of him killing them (or were prepared for death) he was kind of left with fewer options.

• Useful 1
13 hours ago, shrewd.buddha said:

Something that I would like an explanation for is why would Vought put Stormfront in the 7 when all she does is bad-mouth Vought? Is there some strategy on their part? Is Stormfront a loose cannon that the company regrets hiring? She does manage to occasionally point out female exploitation - but mostly she is awful and now appears to be a hate-monger with an agenda. 

If she really is Liberty, then yeah, I could see how she could have some power at Vought.  One thing that’s unclear is how long Stormfront has been around as a hero.  Liberty hasn’t been seen since 1979, maybe she was forced to retire by Vought after killing that kid.

But why then if they are the same person has it taken her 40 years to get back into Vought?

5 hours ago, ketose said:

It was interesting when Homelander saw all those memes about him because even with his power, he couldn't really stop the people who were being mean to him on the internet, especially since he seems to not be all that hip with the technology these days. 

Well apparently, all the memes came from 5 people that Stormfront hired to badmouth him.   I don’t get why he didn’t kill her like he did Madeline.  I really loathe Stormfront, even before her racist tendencies came out.  I hate her voice.  It’s what Elaine Benes would describe as “flinty”.  

I’m hoping by seasons end, she is dead.  And if Homelander dies as well, even better.  I’m rooting for Maeve and Starlight.

I was wondering what was going on with all those random women telling weird stories and then it turns out that The Deep was being forced to audition them for his wife.  I kind of feel sorry for him, he is so concerned about his image that he joined this cult and is being forced to marry someone he doesn’t want to.  His life isn’t his own.  

• Love 1
3 hours ago, blackwing said:

But why then if they are the same person has it taken her 40 years to get back into Vought?

Because everybody who used to work there is now retired and there's nobody left at Vought who would recognize her as Liberty?

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, paulvdb said:

Because everybody who used to work there is now retired and there's nobody left at Vought who would recognize her as Liberty?

Perhaps.  But you don't have to work at Vought to be able to recognise her.  I think we were told that Liberty was one of the world's first superheroes?  Her face was on magazine covers back then, and surely in the 70s she would have appeared on the news at times.  And today her face is everywhere.  Anybody in their late 50s and up should be able to recognise her, even if Liberty had a mask on.  But I suppose this is the same world where Starlight, one of the premier superheroes who is in the top tier group, can walk down the streets of New York unrecognised, just because she pulled her hair back into a ponytail.