Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 37 (2020-2021)

Athena
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:
14 hours ago, ProudMary said:

Kevin' interview story about his father throwing bird seed all over him in Venice was horrifying! 🤤 

Yeah, way to scar your kid for life.

I missed Kevin Hirsh's Venice bird seed interview and can't find it online. 
Can anyone quote the story or point to a video of it?

• Love 1

Never mind the bird story, I wanted to know how the confrontation between the contestant and the moose went - I didn't like Mayim turning it back into the bird story.

Aside from that, I thought Mayim did an excellent job; I might just possibly put her ahead of Buzzy.

I did get the ts's of Detroit Red Wings, Edward VII, and horseshoe.

When FJ clue was shown I had no idea at all.  I could not think of any network with an Italian name, turned to my son to ask him and it came to me in a flash - Bravo. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Hooray for @saber5055, @PaulaOand myself for finally getting a category in our wheelhouse. (Horse Sense) 

Except it was Horse CENTS, about money, and one answer was a king, and a TS at that. The 2000 answer of Lipizzaner, now that was an easy one.

As someone who has never had cable and can't even bring in all the "regular" networks on my over-the-air antenna, it was a no-way FJ for me.

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Except it was Horse CENTS, about money, and one answer was a king, and a TS at that. The 2000 answer of Lipizzaner, now that was an easy one.

So funny, I got the king but not the name of the horse. We should team up!

• Love 2
4 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I missed Kevin Hirsh's Venice bird seed interview and can't find it online. 
Can anyone quote the story or point to a video of it?

Basically, he said that he has a strong fear of birds (ornithophobia). It stems from the time his family went to Venice when he was a child and they noticed that people were feeding the pigeons in St. Mark's Square, so his father decided to throw their birdseed all over Kevin, and he was predictably swarmed by the hungry birds.

It sounds terrifying, and I really like birds. His father sounds like an ass, right up there with parents that toss their terrified kids into pools and lakes to "teach them to swim."

• Useful 1
  • Love 15

It seems perhaps the meaning of "network" may have evolved, just as television has evolved.

A television network or broadcaster is a telecommunications network for distribution of television program content, where a central operation provides programming to many television stations or pay television providers.

Until the mid-1980s, television programming in most countries of the world was dominated by a small number of terrestrial networks. Many early television networks (such as the TVNZ, ABC, RTM, NHK, KBS, CCTV, ARD, RAI, BBC, RTE, Rede Globo, Televisa, CBC or NBC) evolved from earlier radio networks.

I'm not invested it this, I was just curious.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I just read the archive for the rest of last night's Oh, yeah, today was Monday, so I missed a game, but I'm too tired to look up anything but FJ episode.

The horseshoe TS surprised me at first, but I think they forgot the category since they'd just gone back to it after over a dozen clues elsewhere.

Not being able to see the pictures had me a little worried about the souvenirs category, but I was able to get them all just from the text.  I ran everything but Hats in Books in the first round, where I missed two.

I had a good game in DJ, too - I ran Oscar winners, geography, first & last letter.  I missed three in horse cents, but other than that just two in all in the past and one in philosophy.

Some friends and I periodically discuss the things we used to watch on Bravo back in the beginning, so I enjoyed Mayim's dig in FJ.  

• Love 4
19 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Mayim totally wowed me. She was a cross between Vanna White, Elizabeth Banks, Alex, and Carl Sagan.

I thought she did fine, but struck me as a little too professor-y, if that makes any sense.  I wouldn't be upset if she got the permanent gig, though.

I did worse last night than I did during the TOC.  I stunk at Philosophers, getting only Nietzsche and Plato.  And I kept trying to make Sartre the answer to all of them.

I did get FJ, and join the laments for what Bravo once was compared to what fresh hell it's become.

19 hours ago, Grundoon59 said:

As a native Detroiter of a certain age with the last name Howe, I have spent years explaining that I was not related to Geordie (our families spring from different parts of Canada and even my paternal aunt who was a major hockey and genealogy fan could never find a link) so it hurt my heart that he was a TS tonight (with an additional stab with the reference to Alex). 

Is it better or worse that I tried to make him a member of the Montreal Canadiens?

7 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Richardson

I said Redgrave - hey, it's the same family.

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I did worse last night than I did during the TOC.  I stunk at Philosophers, getting only Nietzsche and Plato.  And I kept trying to make Sartre the answer to all of them.

I got Nietzsche and Plato, too. I knew what they were going for with the Descartes clue but I couldn't pull the name out of my brain in time.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, ams1001 said:

I got Nietzsche and Plato, too. I knew what they were going for with the Descartes clue but I couldn't pull the name out of my brain in time.

That was one of my Sartre's.  I knew the quote, translated it to English and then said the wrong damn philosopher.  And of  course, I didn't say Sartre when it actually was Sartre.  Oy.

• Love 1

I did surprisingly well in the Philosophy category. Like opera a couple of weeks ago. Except I did take Philosophy in college so I did remember from that. 

I get the game early here so I’ve already seen Mayim’s second try at this. She was much more relaxed and let’s say it was different. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Is it better or worse that I tried to make him a member of the Montreal Canadiens?

LOL... depends on your fandom I believe... and since the Canadiens just beat the Leafs (7th game), you'll probably get a pass either way.

• Love 5

Watching today's show right now (commercial break) and I'm super impressed with Mayim in all respects - voice, pronunciation, expression, energy, etc. I'm a new fan.

Yesterday, I found the questions/answers so much easier than the TOC. Might have been all in my head (it's crowded in there), but I almost had the thought, "geez, I'd have won this game!" Almost.

Funny thing - when you know the answer (question), it's so easy, isn't it?!

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

Mayim needs to stop sounding like she wants to laugh every time they give a correct response. (I might be primed to be a little annoyed by her tonight because I was listening to an episode of her podcast earlier and she was getting on my nerves.)

Ran Household Brands and Grammy-Winning Directors, got 4 each in Scientists and Imported from Italy, and three each in most of the other categories. Both rounds I got 63% right. FJ was an instaget which bumped me up to 64% for the game.

Seems like there were a lot of TSes tonight...I got Geiger, Copernicus (missed DD), Nivea, Ron Howard, Gettysburg Address, shrewd, and Luke. 

I also got the St. Louis DD which was an absolute guess.

I was annoyed I didn't get Sapiens since I have the book sitting over there on my shelf.

• Love 1

I loved Mayim. I'm ashamed to say it took me ten seconds to get Bravo. I watch an hour of Jeopardy so all the categories run together so if this is wrong, excuse me but I cannot believe I ran a FONT category. I guess all those hours in college typing papers and playing with font types to mess with my professors finally paid off????

Watching tonight.....I really didn't get much of the clues except the Nivea one and as someone that doesn't practice any kind of make up or skin regimen, I shocked myself. I call that a win in book...

• Love 2
3 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

He was a New England & Hartford Whaler for a couple of years - played with his sons -- so you weren't that far off.

• Love 2
(edited)

I got FJ.

I got the TS of golden apples, Geiger, Copernicus, Amazon, Luke, shrewd, Gettysburg Address, and something I can't read but looks like Romsblend.

i got the entie category of fetch right.

Rombsblend equals Ron Howard.

Edited by Katy M
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1

Instaget FJ for me tonight.  Congrats to the new champ -- I was rooting for her.

But there were so many TS tonight!  Ones I got include frog's hair, golden apples, Geiger, Copernicus, Amazon, Ron Howard, Gettysburg Address, Luke, shrewd, and sapiens.

@Katy M, maybe your "Romsblend" is Ron Howard?

I continue to enjoy Mayim's hosting.  

• Love 3

@proserpina65 - I can easily forgive you since Montreal was Father Grundoon's team of choice and I didn't realize until I read your post that I hadn't spelled Gordie correctly in mine.  Oops - brain cells were clearly taking a holiday last night.

I enjoyed tonight's show despite what seemed to be more TSs than usual - Inherit the Wind is one of my favorite plays and led to particularly loud yelling at the tv which the contestants oddly didn't seem to hear.  I am continuing to enjoy Mayim as host - she seems to be having a blast. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Bliss said:

LOL... depends on your fandom I believe... and since the Canadiens just beat the Leafs (7th game), you'll probably get a pass either way.

The Leafs choke again... 😁

I did get Detroit of course.  Also Edward VII. And Bravo.

• Love 4
(edited)

Of tonight's TSs, I knew The Wind, Nivea, sapiens, and Schweitzer.
I didn't know that sapiens can mean "wise," but I did recognize it as the species of man. 

I was really perplexed with FJ because the lenticular clouds of Mount Shasta in California (which I saw out my windows for 15 years) are believed by some to be the spaceships of the Lemurians who live in hidden tunnels below the mountain. Turns out the Mount Shasta Lemurian mythology was inspired by the Madagascar Lemurians, but I did not know that, and would never have guessed Madagascar.

I'm glad Robin won because she is a doppelgänger of a friend, LOL.  

Interesting that 2 days in a row the winner beat the second-place contestant by just a dollar. I thought I saw on Kevin's face a recognition of that and some camaraderie with the new champion.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 3
8 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I didn't know that sapiens can mean "wise," but I did recognize it as the species of man. 

I was really perplexed with FJ because the lenticular clouds of Mount Shasta in California (which I saw out my windows for 15 years) are believed by some to be the spaceships of the Lemurians who live in hidden tunnels below the mountain. Turns out the Mount Shasta Lemurian mythology was inspired by the Madagascar Lemurians, but I did not know that, and would never have guessed Madagascar.

I knew Homo sapiens translates to wise man. I also know the word sapient ("wise, or attempting to appear wise")...but I still didn't get it.

I just know that lemurs are native to Madagascar.

#madagaskar GIF

• LOL 4
  • Love 2

Granted I grew up in the Pacific Northwest, but I was surprised and almost offended that not only was Nez Perce a TS but the bad guesses that it evoked. I even just had a conversation with someone on Sunday about that war and Chief Joseph's famous speech which ended "From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever." I'm not passing judgement on what any tribe did to try to survive, but his people were literally just trying to reach sanctuary in Canada and were both forced off their land and not allowed to live elsewhere. Though with this week's news, we are reminded that Canada wasn't a sure safe haven either. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chief_Joseph

https://www.britannica.com/biography/Chief-Joseph

I got quite a few other TS but this one (obviously) got a reaction from me!

• Love 9

I'm behind and just finished the TOC. 

Jennifer just blew it with the underbid on the daily double in the final round.  She dominated that round and could have caught him had she bet like $10k.  She was down $24k from day one and they were pretty much tied day two.  

He bet big and she didn't.  

• Love 2

Any other horse person (ahem, @Mindthinkr) get that easy TS of Nez Perce? My first horse was the breed created by the Nez Perce, an Appaloosa. Chief Joseph is famous for saying "I will fight no more forever." Well, famous with everyone except today's Jeopardy players.

He's also been a Jeopardy clue/answer more than once before.

Man, all the TSs. Mayim was so polite, but at the end of the DJ round when she said "Whew," I interpreted that as "What a crappy game." Scores at the end of DJ were lower than the average J round. Her charity didn't exactly rake in the cash today.

Got a laugh that Mayim's Neuriva commercial ran during the show.

Nice wager by Robin to win at the end. At least that was something good.

• Love 10
9 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

get that easy TS of Nez Perce?

I did, and know about Appaloosas.  I was horse crazy as a kid but rarely got to meet a horse.  

Never had cable TV, and I'm not familiar with Bravo, but I watch PBS so I know where lemurs live.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

the lenticular clouds of Mount Shasta in California (which I saw out my windows for 15 years) are believed by some to be the spaceships of the Lemurians who live in hidden tunnels below the mountain.

Have you shopped lately for a tin-foil robe? I know where you can find one.

• LOL 4
2 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

The Leafs choke again... 😁

I had a feeling when they were up 3-1 in the series that the Habs would end up winning 🙄 It's just sad at this point.

I had a brief moment where I somehow thought lemurs were in Australia and said Tasmania. Luckily caught myself before the time was up, but I can't say I had a great game. My cat, who we had for 18 years, died somewhat suddenly on the weekend and it has been quite rough.

Wednesday night there will be a mayoral debate on at 7:00 on the New York City station.

In the past they have shown the proper Jeopardy at 2:00 a.m. in place of the usual rerun.

• Useful 1

I enjoyed Mayim Bialik as host (tonight was my first game with her behind the podium), and she definitely seems to be enjoying herself; I love what a thrill this opportunity has been for the guest hosts.

Lots of TS in this game!  Amazon was quite surprising, as were Geiger and Gettysburg Address.  The wind also surprised me. 

I had an easier time with this game than they did.  I ran Peru, scientists, and brands in the first round, but missed two each in TV pairs and fetch, and one in animal expressions (I'd never heard "One swallow does not make a summer").  In DJ, I ran history, wisdom, and directors and only missed one each in the rest.  I got FJ.

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, secnarf said:

My cat, who we had for 18 years, died somewhat suddenly on the weekend and it has been quite rough.

{{hug}} Mine too, a couple weeks ago; she turned 15 at the beginning of May. (Technically she was mine, because I picked her, but she lived with my parents. I was there last night and kept expecting her to come into the kitchen. 😞)

1 minute ago, HyeChaps said:

Wednesday night there will be a mayoral debate on at 7:00 on the New York City station.  

Thanks for the heads up! I should be able to watch on the Philly station (but not in HD).

I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your cats,  @secnarf and @ams1001. That's heartbreaking. I wish I had something positive to say, but quite frankly, it s*cks. Just know there are posters here who understand what a deep loss that is, and what a void it leaves in someone's life.

***HUGS***

• Love 16
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

Any other horse person (ahem, @Mindthinkr) get that easy TS of Nez Perce? My first horse was the breed created by the Nez Perce, an Appaloosa. Chief Joseph is famous for saying "I will fight no more forever." Well, famous with everyone except today's Jeopardy players.

He should be famous to anyone who's ever been to Epcot and watched the show at The American Adventure pavilion. Chief Joseph is one of the audioanimatronic characters! Of course, many guests use the theater as an air conditioned nap space.

• Love 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Have you shopped lately for a tin-foil robe? I know where you can find one.

IIRC, the true believers would not have wanted to wear foil —they were open to whatever was out there. There was a huge annual pageant with the leaders wearing enormous feathery wings. It had devolved into a con game. I think vitamin supplements were part of it as the health food store sold books on The Ancient Lemurians.

Anyway, I got caught up in the “lost continent he dubbed Lemuria” part of the clue, not being familiar with lemurs, just Lemurians. 
And the category of “AROUND THE WORLD” wasn’t all that helpful. 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 2
(edited)

I am so sorry for your losses @SECNARF and @ams1001.  Two years ago today I had to say goodbye to my Westie, so I do understand.

I got FJ and the TS of Luke and Albert Schweitzer( my elementary school).  I missed the beginning of the show so I only saw part of Double Jeopardy and FJ.

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Love 2
(edited)
5 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Interesting that 2 days in a row the winner beat the second-place contestant by just a dollar. I thought I saw on Kevin's face a recognition of that and some camaraderie with the new champion

That’s quite common, the leader just doubles the score of the person in 2nd place and does the math for what they need to overtake that score by $1. 

Some pretty surprising TS’s today: Amazon, Inherit the Wind, the Gettysburg Address!?

I got FJ instantly only because I know the animated film “Madagascar” had lemurs and it’s an island.

Edited by Cotypubby
  • Love 4

I was fortunate to find a copy of Monday's show.  I had the day off, took the train a few cities out to try a new historic movie theater and have a little nosh, and completely forgot it was still a weekday.  I appreciate very much, when it seems that many shows take days or weeks off at their leisure, that this one airs continuously.  But that doesn't mean I'll remember!

I frankly wasn't keen on Mayim going into this, based on admittedly vague impressions and her association with "Big Bang Theory."  I'm happy to say that I think she is sensational at this job.  She is engaged and witty, her pronunciations hit the mark every time, and her voice is wonderful to listen to.  It is clear that she is delighted to be there, and I am too.

If I had to criticize something, I would agree with @ams1001 that she could stand to sound a little less like every other answer is about to make her break into rapturous laughter.  It's a good thing that she's happy to be there, and she can show us that she's pleased or amused if a favorite movie or something comes up once in a while, but that was getting to be just a bit much.

Similarly, I like Robin and am glad she won, but I wanted her to stop sucking her teeth every time she missed a question.  I swear that it was every time.

I'd also like to thank Zoboomafoo, the PBS show about animals, for teaching me that lemurs means Madagascar.  "What Galapagos" indeed.

Sending care to @secnarf and @ams1001!  I finally became a pet guardian last year and it is so meaningful.  I was sorry to hear from a colleague today that her dog also passed away over the weekend.   Until we all meet again, I'd like to think.

2 hours ago, ProudMary said:

He should be famous to anyone who's ever been to Epcot and watched the show at The American Adventure pavilion. Chief Joseph is one of the audioanimatronic characters! Of course, many guests use the theater as an air conditioned nap space.

Guilty as charged.  I'm quite disappointed I missed the whole show, actually, but there wasn't convenient for the whole group to return (read: I had used up my chits on the family trip by then and had to go with the flow).  I care deeply about American history and was really excited to see the presentation, but I was so tired and it was so cool...

16 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

That through me, because Bravo is a cable channel, it isn't a network.   IIRC, the clue asked for a network.  There is a difference.

Explanation shared by @Clanstarling aside, I was thrown right along with you, because I share your understanding of what distinguishes a network from a channel.  Upon reflection, plenty of cable channels have described themselves as "networks" for some time, like the Game Show Network, which was established in 1994.  Well, fine, but I don't have to like it! 

• Love 4
7 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Thanks for the heads up! I should be able to watch on the Philly station (but not in HD).

I'm in NYC too. Which is the Philly station?

I agree about the TS's last night. I got golden apples, Geiger, the Copernicus DD, Nivea, Ron Howard, the Gettysburg Address, Luke, shrewd, Sapiens, Albert Schweitzer, and acumen. Then I missed FJ.

I never heard of frog's hair. Is it a regional expression? It sounds like hen's teeth, i.e. nonexistent. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I'm in central NJ; I get ABC and NBC out of both cities (ABC is 6 from Philly and 7 from NYC). 

There is also channel 110 (on Cablevision, at least) which sometimes airs J! when it's preempted on the main station (but not always...probably only when it's a pre-planned thing; last time it got preempted by a breaking news thing and I couldn't watch anywhere else).

• Useful 1
6 hours ago, 853fisher said:

Explanation shared by @Clanstarling aside, I was thrown right along with you, because I share your understanding of what distinguishes a network from a channel.  Upon reflection, plenty of cable channels have described themselves as "networks" for some time, like the Game Show Network, which was established in 1994.  Well, fine, but I don't have to like it! 

Valid. I have many things that have changed over the years that I don't like too.

3 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I agree about the TS's last night. I got golden apples, Geiger, the Copernicus DD, Nivea, Ron Howard, the Gettysburg Address, Luke, shrewd, Sapiens, Albert Schweitzer, and acumen. Then I missed FJ.

I never heard of frog's hair. Is it a regional expression? It sounds like hen's teeth, i.e. nonexistent. 

I got most of those TS's. I have no idea how I got golden apples. Copernicus was luck (I always go between him and Galileo). I didn't get sapiens, Sweitzer and acumen though. They were good boards for me.

I got FJ thanks to a long ago Physical Anthropology class, I loved the lemurs. And maybe from ads for the movie Madagascar.

3 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

Exactly. It's so fine (as in thin, delicate) you can't even see it! Though the sites I clicked on (which all seem to have used the same source) say it was originally used in the sense of "feeling fine" (as in health) but that doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Then again, a lot of idioms don't.

As far as the origin, it's American, dating to the 19th century.

I feel like I've heard it before but I never would have come up with it.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

Copernicus was luck (I always go between him and Galileo).

Me too, but this time I chose the wrong one.

That was a less than stellar game.  So many ts's.  I didn't get all of them but I did get golden apples, Geiger, Nivea, Nez Perce, (inherit) the wind, and Luke.

Mayim continues to impress me.

• Love 5
12 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your cats,  @secnarf and @ams1001. That's heartbreaking. I wish I had something positive to say, but quite frankly, it s*cks. Just know there are posters here who understand what a deep loss that is, and what a void it leaves in someone's life.

***HUGS***

Adding my ***hugs*** to @secnarf and @ams1001 ... this is one of life's toughest grief experiences, IMO. Such unconditional love with our fur babies! I've said many times, "never again..." to the question, "are you getting another cat/dog?" because I feel like I'm imploding with sadness every time I have to say goodbye. The hardest grief, for me, is when I don't have the chance to say goodbye... OMG... the pain is excruciating.

Every single photo of me as a child has me holding a kitten or puppy, or riding a horse. I've decided that I like 4-leggeds more than most 2-leggeds. They are so full of love and affection that I keep contracting for another bout of grief - I simply cannot live without them!

I've learned to not pre-grieve... simply enjoy every moment we have together... until the end. THEN I'm a mess.

• Love 12