Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 37 (2020-2021)

Athena
  • Start Topic

(edited)
13 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I didn't hear it (obviously; see above tantrum) but the J! Archive says she said "Palantine" with an extra N in the middle. 

If that's the case, I stand corrected. I didn't hear the extra N, only the different pronunciation of the last syllable by Buzzy. Thanks, @ams1001.

Edited by HissyFit
TANTRUM A.K.A. HISSYFIT
  • Love 4
(edited)

So glad Ryan didn't win.  Finally figured out who he reminded me of.  Dwight from the office.  The thought of him getting marriage proposals.......so gross.  And lost all because he forgot Sabin.   I knew that one.  

Veronica I think was crying. Glass she won. 

I really like buzzy as host.  He should get the job.  AnD I actually wasn't a big fan of his as a contestant.  

Edited by DrSpaceman73
  • Love 4

I didn't see Ryan's quarter-final game, and seeing on the archive how many of his responses included commentary, I couldn't tell if it would have played as awkward or annoying. Turns out mostly the former.  But, wow, once his acting as if he was playing in his living room rather than on television meant spending the rest of DJ after his missed DD pouting (extra inappropriate since he was still very much in the game) I upped the intensity with which I was rooting for Veronica.  Great job!  I loved her reaction to winning.  (Ryan's reaction to losing, not so much.)

The polka TS surprised me, given the "dotty" hint.  Anheuser-Busch a bit, too.

I heard Palantine from Veronica, which would make sense for her being ruled incorrect.  (The archive spells her response that way as well.)  I think the way Ryan emphasized the correct pronunciation of "tine" when he answered made it seem like that was all she'd done wrong (which wouldn't have been an appropriate reason for ruling against her).

I only ran double vowels and family business in the first round; I missed seven clues among the other categories.  In DJ, I only ran medical milestones, missing eight among the others.  So another meh game for me, but I did correctly guess FJ.

• Love 2
(edited)

I am glad to see the back of Ryan, but I guess I have a little sympathy for him too.  I recognize the type.  Self-admittedly, he's very awkward.  He's probably felt like a tremendous loser, socially speaking, his whole life so far.  When you've alienated yourself from / been ostracized by others, there aren't many folks left to give you constructive feedback on the behaviors that feed those outcomes.

I thought his choice of anecdotes was telling.  Tonight, so many women are throwing themselves at him that he had to carry out evasive maneuvers.  Last week, he dropped by the student union during the college president's ice cream social, and everyone was much more interested in him.  He is loving the attention associated with being on the show, and buying into his own hype a little too much, because he finally feels like one of the cool kids.  He just doesn't have the tools to moderate his reactions and behaviors.  He clearly doesn't understand how he's really being perceived.

I mean, I've seen him on TV for about 40 minutes total, maybe I shouldn't try to shrink his head.  But I think I "get" him and I do hope he has someone in his life to help him out.  I don't know his age exactly, but he acts very young.  He's clearly old enough that he could "get" these things if he tried.  Maybe he is just a stone-cold dickhead after all.  Who knows?  Now that he's lost, I'll never have to think about him again.  Time to "go for the kill" on the brain cells he's occupying! ;)

Edited by 853fisher
  • Love 7
59 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

It sounded like she said "Palateen".  I did not hear an extra n.  But I won't claim to have perfect hearing, and since Veronica won, I'm not too upset about it.  Now, if Ryan had won . . . .

That's what I heard too I didn't hear an extra n. I knew when FJ involved authors Veronica would know it. 

• Love 2
(edited)

So happy Veronica won.  I liked her during her run.  I did get Sabin- I got a vision of my kids’ vaccine cards when I heard the question. 
Ryan started the game more subdued than last week, but wow. I understand he was upset, but did anyone else catch the shot of him during the credits just standing there with his head hanging down?  Geez buddy, smile until the cameras stop rolling. You could see Kevin getting a bit frantic trying to get out of the hole but he lost gracefully.

Buzzy is doing a great job but I was momentarily disappointed when he mispronounced Nevada. 

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Roaster said:

Ryan probably doesn't care that viewers have a low opinion of him, because, as he informed us in the interviews, he gets a LOT of female attention.  He even had to change his Facebook status to indicate that he had a girlfriend, because the ladies love Ryan and wouldn't leave him alone.

Oooof. I always FF through the interviews so did not hear that. I gave him the benefit of the doubt his first episode in the TOC because being overly excited when you get a DD correct is understandable. But being a sore loser and weakly clapping when you lose, plus that story, ugh no thank you.

1 hour ago, HissyFit said:

Totally agree on Palatine. Veronica didn't add a syllable or a letter. Given the spelling, how would a book-learner know whether the last syllable should rhyme with Valentine or quarantine?

I thought she said PalaNtine, with an N in the middle. I didn’t know the answer so don’t know which way was right, but if it’s Palatine and she added an N, that would be incorrect. They judge that kind of mistake wrong all the time. 

• Love 1
54 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

So glad Ryan didn't win.  Finally figured out who he reminded me of.  Dwight from the office.

He actually always makes me think of Jonah from Veep. It’s the eyes and teeth.

(edited)

On the game itself:

I was thrilled Veronica won.  There seemed to be a discreet edit right at the very end, when I think the tears might have really flowed.  I like everyone who remains in the competition after tonight, but I think she is my favorite.

A few years ago I visited an old friend who now lives in Golden, CO.  Of course we took the Coors factory tour, which was very well done (and turned me onto Banquet, having only tasted Light before).  I fuzzily recalled that the patriarch's name was Adolph, so I said Coors instead of Busch.  Wrong, but delicious inspiration for later.

I wish I had noticed "his" in Final.  I said Harper Lee, thinking the date and plot didn't quite match.  I should have kept thinking, but my mind starts to wander at the end of the show.  It had already moved on to "which store has Coors Banquet around here"?

I think Buzzy is doing well, but I don’t think he’s spectacular and I definitely do "notice" him.  He seems very impersonal and disinterested during the interview segments, not that they’re the most important parts of the show.  (As an aside, not Buzzy’s fault, but why would Kevin pick that story if he wasn’t willing to actually drop the name?  Weird.)  He also sounds a little supercilious when an easier clue is missed.  “What is Arkansas?” was a good example of what I mean, but he’s done it several times.  You could just about hear the “duh!”  He could tone that down just a little for me.

Edited by 853fisher
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, ABay said:

I was annoyed they didn't allow Veronica as pronunciation of Palatine. I've heard it both ways. If she hadn't won, I'd have to write a sternly worded letter.

According to the closed captioning, Veronica pronounced it "Palantine", not "Palatine". 

But I'm glad she pushed through and won anyway!

• Love 4

I'm a friend of Veronica's from college and it's stressful watching her in this. So thrilling to see her killing it. Can't wait to see how it shakes out in the finals. (I have no spoilers)

She is as cool as she seems.

She confirmed on Reddit that she inserted an "n" into "palintine" and didn't challenge it.

• Useful 3
  • Love 13
7 hours ago, j5cochran said:

According to the closed captioning, Veronica pronounced it "Palantine", not "Palatine". 

But I'm glad she pushed through and won anyway!

thank you.  that makes more sense.  I couldn't understand why pala-teen wouldn't be accepted, but palantine, yeah, that would be wrong.

• Love 2
(edited)
11 hours ago, ABay said:

I was annoyed they didn't allow Veronica as pronunciation of Palatine. I've heard it both ways. If she hadn't won, I'd have to write a sternly worded letter

11 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Also the clue that Triple V didn’t get, which [my friend] swears is just another way of pronouncing the word palentine.

Although I would not have been able to give the correct response based on the clue, I did live near Palatine Illinois most of my life, so I immediately recognized that Veronica’s pronunciation of the vowel wasn’t really the issue —it was her insertion of an additional N before the T.

As a retired librarian, I am happy for the win of a colleague, and I teared up when I saw she was about to cry. I looked up her position —which is similar to what mine was— and I can say that winning this money will relieve her of any doubts she may have about her financial security resulting from her career choice. 🥲🥰👏📚

About the unpopular sore loser: His inability to at least give the appearance of good sportsmanship on national TV at this point in his Jeopardy career suggests that he might be a little off-center of the measure for some behavioral spectrum, so I don’t feel the need to pile on to the expressions of dislike except to acknowledge that I wouldn’t want to have to spend a lot of time with him either.

My old DVR successfully recorded the 2:37 a.m. broadcast of the preempted show, so I watched first thing in the morning. Apparently what little Jeopardy ability I possess is not enhanced by watching before my walk or breakfast, which now seems like a no-brainer, much like the many clues I failed to get.🙃

ETA: It was the skipped breakfast that stopped my synapses from firing. Post-breakfast I just whipped through much of the NY Times crossword puzzle, and now recall that during the many years that I had a librarian job much like VV-V's, I never left home without a little breakfast for that reason. I'm guessing those who get to be Jeopardy champions have already figured this out too.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 6
9 hours ago, 853fisher said:

I think Buzzy is doing well, but I don’t think he’s spectacular and I definitely do "notice" him.  He seems very impersonal and disinterested during the interview segments, not that they’re the most important parts of the show.  (As an aside, not Buzzy’s fault, but why would Kevin pick that story if he wasn’t willing to actually drop the name?  Weird.)  He also sounds a little supercilious when an easier clue is missed.  “What is Arkansas?” was a good example of what I mean, but he’s done it several times.  You could just about hear the “duh!”  He could tone that down just a little for me.

I hadn't noticed disinterest in his interviews, but I can sympathize with a host in that situation. It must be really tough to be equally enthusiastic about all anecdotes, to show interest via a follow up question or two without eating up too much time, and to know when to move on so that everybody gets a fair chance to talk.

As for the "duh!" factor, in my opinion this falls into the category of Alex Did It Too. When he thought a guess was especially bad, he didn't just say "No" but "Noooo!"

• Love 9

I am happy Veronica won, she was quite over-come with emotion at the end of the show. 

It looked like she was crying, and Ryan was standing next to her with his head down looking crushed. It was quite the camera shot. This tournament is getting a little intense...

• Love 6
2 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I hadn't noticed disinterest in his interviews, but I can sympathize with a host in that situation. It must be really tough to be equally enthusiastic about all anecdotes, to show interest via a follow up question or two without eating up too much time, and to know when to move on so that everybody gets a fair chance to talk.

Maybe he's like me and just wants them to shush and get back to the game. 😉 (I feel like they go on too long, lately. Maybe I'm just impatient.)

Here's the ending, in case anyone else missed it. (And yay, my cable seems to have fixed itself overnight! I was able to watch the season finale of This Is Us on my cable company's app, but they don't have Jeopardy, and I really didn't want to have to call customer service.)

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Maybe he's like me and just wants them to shush and get back to the game. 😉 (I feel like they go on too long, lately. Maybe I'm just impatient.)

Here's the ending, in case anyone else missed it. (And yay, my cable seems to have fixed itself overnight! I was able to watch the season finale of This Is Us on my cable company's app, but they don't have Jeopardy, and I really didn't want to have to call customer service.)

I hear you (and Buzzy) about the interviews. They could dispense with them entirely and I wouldn't be sad, but I understand the rationale for helping the contestants relax a bit.

Glad your cable is working again! And thanks for the clip. I missed Ryan's clasping his hands and bowing his head after his answer proved to be correct and his modest wager was revealed. I could almost hear him praying "Let her be wrong, please God let her be wrong."

• Love 3
(edited)

It was certainly an interesting game and I am glad Veronica won.

I got the ts's of cauliflower, dead stock, polkas and Sabin but not Salk of the missed DD.  I has just seen something about Jonas Salk on the news a few days ago (came up on CC as Donace Sock); normally I know Salk as well as Sabin but it just didn't come to me.

I am 0/2 on FJs so far, hope I get at least one this week.

Edited by Trey
To get winner's nam right.
  • Love 1
26 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Thank you for posting this video, @ams1001!
I got teary-eyed again with V, and loved hearing her give voice to what we librarians do as it relates to Jeopardy (and beyond).

• Love 5

Buzzy mispronounced Nevada last night.  I'm not much of a tweeter, but I replied to one of his tweets and told him he was doing a great job- I just had one small complaint about his pronunciation of Nevada.  A few minutes later I got a notification that he liked my tweet.  

If they ever call me and he gets the host job I have a story for the interview segment!

• Love 7

He said Ne-vahh-da.   In the correct pronunciation the first a is pronounced like the a in apple. Ne-va-da.  It's a pet peeve of those of us who live here.  Coloradans have the same issue.  

It's always funny during election years to see politicians get corrected when they come to campaign.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
7 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

He said Ne-vahh-da.   In the correct pronunciation the first a is pronounced like the a in apple. Ne-va-da.  It's a pet peeve of those of us who live here.  Coloradans have the same issue.  

It's always funny during election years to see politicians get corrected when they come to campaign.

And how do you (and how would Buzzy) pronounce Illinois?

• LOL 2
9 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Is that another one people mispronounce?  I always say " Ill-in-oi"  Do residents of the state pronounce the s? 

14 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

thought she said PalaNtine, with an N in the middle.

I have an old tv and old ears, so I grant that I probably misheard.  And honestly, if she had really pronounced it that way and lost because of it, well that would be fair.  I'd still have been pissed if Ryan had won, but only because I couldn't stand him.

10 hours ago, Fukui San said:

I'm a friend of Veronica's from college and it's stressful watching her in this. So thrilling to see her killing it. Can't wait to see how it shakes out in the finals. (I have no spoilers)

She is as cool as she seems.

She confirmed on Reddit that she inserted an "n" into "palintine" and didn't challenge it.

Thanks for the info.  Glad to know she's really that cool, 'cause she seems like she'd be fun to hang out with.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I love her top with the sloths! I have a covid mask with sloths.

Found this article re: Ryan and his poor reactions/behavior:  https://www.mcall.com/news/local/mc-nws-macungie-contestant-jeopardy-semifinals-20210526-3rvwmk6mwvb7tn3ej5zp3qvsbm-story.html  Among other quotes, here's one where he acknowledges what he should have done: “I also got emotional after Final Jeopardy instead of congratulating Veronica, which I should have done."  He wasn't the worst loser ever,

Spoiler

and at least he didn't leave a puppy on a pyramid like another Ryan did!

• Love 1
17 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

The Hedwig story was very cool!  Heh, my thought process for FJ was huh, I don’t know, I’ll go with Faulkner. 

Can someone tell me what the Hedwig story was? I'm curious. 🦉

(edited)
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

And don't forget that capitol of Iowa, Dez Mow-NEZ.

Heaven forbid someone who grew up with a regional accent doesn't pronounce something precisely like you think they should.

BTW, the Arkansas River in Arkansas -- you know, the state it was named for -- is pronounced Ar-kan-saw, just like the state. Can't help it if out-of-state people (in Arkansas, those people are said to be "from off") mispronounce it.

Edited by saber5055
  • LOL 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, 3 is enough said:

Is that another one people mispronounce?  I always say " Ill-in-oi"  Do residents of the state pronounce the s? 

Silent “s” is correct!

1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:
15 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

thought she said PalaNtine, with an N in the middle.

I have an old tv and old ears, so I grant that I probably misheard.  And honestly, if she had really pronounced it that way and lost because of it, well that would be fair. 

I have old ears too (and really bad tinnitus) but thought I heard the other N, so I checked "Capital Hills" for $800 here: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7030
and, yes, she had an extra N. 

Perhaps Buzzy should have mentioned the N?

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 2

If I'd heard Veronica add an N to Palatine, I wouldn't have been annoyed she wasn't credited for the answer. To my ears, she said Palatine with one N. We can move on now.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, zoey1996 said:

Found this article re: Ryan and his poor reactions/behavior:  https://www.mcall.com/news/local/mc-nws-macungie-contestant-jeopardy-semifinals-20210526-3rvwmk6mwvb7tn3ej5zp3qvsbm-story.html  Among other quotes, here's one where he acknowledges what he should have done: “I also got emotional after Final Jeopardy instead of congratulating Veronica, which I should have done."  He wasn't the worst loser ever,

Reveal spoiler

There is THAT, I suppose.  I think that particular contestant tops my list of most hated contestants for that story alone.  (And that's a list with Austin on it!)

• LOL 3
1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

Can someone tell me what the Hedwig story was? I'm curious. 🦉

Of course her telling is better but she answered an Hedwig question on her original run (which is her favorite musical).  John Cameron Mitchell gave that love on Twitter and invited her to see his show in Portland (which she attended). 

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, M. Darcy said:

Of course her telling is better but she answered an Hedwig question on her original run (which is her favorite musical).  John Cameron Mitchell gave that love on Twitter and invited her to see his show in Portland (which she attended). 

Thanks. I couldn't help wondering if it was about magic owls or the angry inch.

• LOL 4

I was used to Alex who was a stickler for proper pronunciations, often much to our amusement. 😏  I guess that is why I expected Buzzy, as host, to do the same.  If he gets the permanent job I imagine he will do the same.

1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

Heaven forbid someone who grew up with a regional accent doesn't pronounce something precisely like you think they should.

I don't think of it so much as a regional accent, but just not being aware of how something's pronounced elsewhere.  I live near a city that also exists in a different state, but with a different pronunciation.  I live near a street that shares a name with a landmark elsewhere in my state, but with a different pronunciation.  I've been to a ski resort that shares its name with a land in the bible, but with a different pronunciation.  There's a town in my state that you can tell if someone's "from here" by the way they pronounce it.  Not saying that nevAHda or illi-noise are correct pronunciations anywhere, but if you get a lot of your information from reading, you might not know that.

But, if you're the host of Jeopardy!, you should probably double-check on stuff like that.

• Love 6

Today's game was a demonstration of why the Tournament of Champions is so good.  Nibir is probably better at Jeopardy than 97 percent of the people who have ever set foot in that studio, and he still came in a distant third.  The level of play has been high all tournament.

TWO women in the finals?  Has that ever happened before?

• Love 6

Ran Seeing Red and missed one each in Fictional Game Shows and 3"D" (I'm gonna blame the doggie making my brain freeze from the cute for not being able to come up with the breed in time), but completely bombed on Civil War. Got TSes of Speak and salt but no DDs. My best game so far this week and I only got 48%...

After last night's cable failure, tonight we got a thunderstorm and I was afraid the power would go out. Thankfully it didn't and the storm seems to be mostly past us.

Hmmm....two girls and a guy in the finals. That means I have to root for Sam.

• LOL 2

I said Rimsky-Korsakov.  Why?  Because I didn't know.  I was trying to think of an Italian-French composer, but then just said, this is stupid, say anything.

I got the missed clues of marble and salt.

I didn't miss any entire categories, so that's an improvement.

• Love 2

Was disappointed that Jennifer and Jason were on the same night, because I really like them both...but, i like Veronica, too and i will be rooting for anyone BUT Sam

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Katy M said:

I said Rimsky-Korsakov.  Why?  Because I didn't know.  I was trying to think of an Italian-French composer, but then just said, this is stupid, say anything.

I guessed Verdi but I had no clue. At least I wasn't alone.

• Love 2

I said Puccini, just because that was the first composer that I thought of.  I never would have gotten that FJ.

I did get subtle, Newcastle, marble, and salt, though, so there's that.

None of them were ever told "That would be like taking coals to Newcastle"?
My mom used to say it a lot, but she was born in 1928, so maybe it's a saying that has faded from the lexicon of potential Jeopardy players?
But also, why would my mother have had so many occasions to say that to me?
Anyway, I was pleading so loudly for Nabir to say "Newcastle!" that the neighbors may have wondered about it.

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, Roaster said:

TWO women in the finals?  Has that ever happened before?

Only once before, as far as I can tell from a quick scan of the J! Archive, in 1993.  It's the game @dcalley just posted.  We can see that neither won.  If Veronica or Jennifer wins this year, I believe she will be the fourth ever female winner.

8 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

Thank you for sharing the article.  Geez, did the guy really deserve to be held to answer for his perceived transgressions, under a headline describing him as an "internet villain"?  Maybe I'm a hypocrite because I was happy to join in the discussion about him here, but I think there's a difference between a TV discussion forum and his hometown's paper of record.  I don't think, generally speaking, that a game show contestant is a public figure who should be considered fair game for critical media coverage.

I guess it's a good thing that he was given another platform to speak up for himself.  I just can't stand this style of "journalism."  I know local newsrooms have been gutted around the country, and I know management is always clamoring for "clickable content."  I still think this is making quite a mountain out of a molehill.  It will probably be on the first page of results for his name for years.  Not proportionate, IMO, with being a bit of a jerk on a game show.

Worst of all, that silly interpolation of social media!  I think it's felt that it makes articles seem hip and current, but I think it is a sloppy and lazy way to meaningfully collate opinion.  I know running opinions from the "person on the street" is nothing new, but this seems different.  You don't even need to go out and talk to a few folks now.  Anyone can find a few tweets on any viewpoint and make a "people are saying" article, then demand the "internet villain" explain himself.  Is it really a matter for the press that MrStevenSnow thinks Ryan is pouty and annoying?  I certainly don't think so.

I think it's just crap.  I bet the journalism department at William Paterson is really proud of the contribution their graduate is making to the world with articles like these!  @zoey1996, I hope you don't feel I'm jumping down your throat.  You didn't write it.  I'm going to have a Snickers or something.

Edited by 853fisher
  • Love 13
46 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

None of them were ever told "That would be like taking coals to Newcastle"?
My mom used to say it a lot, but she was born in 1928, so maybe it's a saying that has faded from the lexicon of potential Jeopardy players?
But also, why would my mother have had so many occasions to say that to me?
Anyway, I was pleading so loudly for Nabir to say "Newcastle!" that the neighbors may have wondered about it.

I've never heard that expression.  

• Love 4