Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E21: Viva la Dysfunction

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, Silver Bells said:

No cocktail tonight.  Just got out of hospital as I had cellulitis from an injury on my leg that got infected.  Was on IV, then more antibiotic when I came home.  The good news is I probably lost 10 lbs, lol.

..sorry to hear that, Silver Bells  - glad you're home (and ready to watch these women rumble at the reunion ; )

Edited by film noire
  • Love 3
On 9/5/2020 at 4:53 PM, Silver Bells said:

LuAnn bought a cute house on a pond in Sag Harbor, N.y.  In the Hamptons.  Not far from Ramona, North of the highway.

Of all the homes, on all of the Bravo shows, Luann's Sag Harbour house is the one I daydream about. There are all kinds of articles from Bravo and Architectural Digest floating around with photos of the house. I'm a sucker for older homes with character, and being that  this one is an old Sea Captain's house, has piles of it. It's bright, airy, tastefully decorated, and in my opinion, the perfect size - big enough to host out-of-town guests, but on a warm cozy human scale. The water-view property it sits on is stunning. I'd take that one over Ramona's bland sterile house any day.

I would like to know the back-story of her two kids suing her for it. From what I understand, the Count made a provision that Luann could buy the home, but that ownership should put in trust for her kids, and she subsequently tried to sell it out from under them? Man, I'd sue too! I wonder what their relationship is like now. Anyway, I ramble off topic, but it's my favourite Bravo property EVER.

• Love 6
On 9/4/2020 at 10:27 AM, Schnickelfritz said:

Is it just me or was Doh-rinda a hot mess when she walked into the event? She didn't seem as put together as she usually is. Her pain meds were definitely reacting with her self-medication of choice (at the very least alcohol) and everything was super super fun - UNTIL it wasn't.

That is why I never drink. It's always really fun until it isn't. The isn't is very bad.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, Silver Bells said:

Actually, I was going to ask a stupid question, but didn’t want backlash.  When exactly did Dorinda get fired?  If before the reunion, would she be obligated to still go?  I’m confused because of the last scene they seemed to throw in when Dorinda went nuts.  No cocktail tonight.  Just got out of hospital as I had cellulitis from an injury on my leg that got infected.  Was on IV, then more antibiotic when I came home.  The good news is I probably lost 10 lbs, lol.

Eeks!  Hubs had a bout with that last year, it got very serious.  Glad you're home and on the mend.

• Love 5
On 9/4/2020 at 8:33 PM, eleanorofaquitaine said:

I absolutely believe that Dorinda acted as badly towards production as she did towards the other women. And I feel like production has finally had it with those who treat them badly (I maintain that is part of what is going on with RHOBH). And Tinsley strikes me as someone who, while mostly boring, isn't intentionally mean or cruel. So I am sure production liked her.

I wonder about Ramona's and Luanne's relationships with production?  Both Ramona and Lu can be pretentious and elitist, so I wouldn't be surprised if they treated production at some point like the "little people." OTOH, I also think both ladies came off pretty well this season, so I wouldn't be surprised if they have a decent relationship with production. 

Re Disco Fabulous Lu's song and cabaret act - Lu is terrible as a singer but she does seem to have a sense of humor about herself (now). It seems like the cabaret show is as much as comedy act as it is about her performance. And pre-pandemic, it seemed to be pretty successful. So I can understand why a producer might want to develop a song for her, especially if it ends up a club or in the show. 

Yeah, I think all of this "is New York dead?!" talk is premature. The long-term trend is towards urban centers, and the pandemic isn't really going to change that. I live in Boston - a smaller city than NYC but an urban center nonetheless - and my property values are holding steady. Yes, I think some people have used this opportunity to move out of the city but the reality is that those people were probably going to leave the city anyway. I think long-term, once the pandemic ends, New York (and Boston and all of the other cities who were attracting new residents) will be fine. 

There is much evidence to suggest millennials are moving to the suburbs and exurbs. So the cities will be hurting.

• Useful 1
36 minutes ago, OdinO. said:

There is much evidence to suggest millennials are moving to the suburbs and exurbs. So the cities will be hurting.

Millennials are now mostly in their 30s and some will be getting into their 40s soon. They have kids and houses and what have you, and yes, sure, many of them are moving to the suburbs as previous generations have.  But there is no evidence that people are abandoning the cities wholesale and in fact, it is more difficult now (in certain places, like most of the Northeast) for young people to move to the suburbs because of a lack of reasonably-priced housing.  

New York will be fine after this pandemic, as will Boston, as will most cities because the long-term trend is moving towards urban centers, not away from them. 

• Love 6
15 hours ago, ChitChat said:

I've always loved that scene, especially the way Hank Azaria delivered that line.  Pirin tablets

That sums up Dorinda oh so perfectly.  I'm sure she's still cursing everyone around her, as nothing is ever her fault!  😉 

Every season Dorinda has a new target.  Unfortunately, this year it was poor Tinsley.  The only one she wouldn’t mess with was Bethenny, who told her to her face “ you are a drunk”.  She said nothing.  She probably went to Bethenny’s house for sympathy or counceling.  The rest of them were probably sick of her and afraid.  Everyone was on pins and needles.

• Love 3

I just watched this episode from a pretty boring season in general.  I'm 53, so I hate to say this but everyone, except for Leah, is aging out of the show.  I think it's time to recast.  Ramona, Sonja, Lu could be friend-ofs.  

After watching the Dorinda tirade, you can understand the firing.  She's a goddamned bully.  I think she had it in he head that SHE is the show and thinks amping up her vitriol is what people love.  But that's so wrong.  People loved her "not well bitch" but early on, she seemed to have compassion and didn't drunk age as hard.  She was amusing but could still keep it together and show her UESness. 

Lu looked like a drag queen.  She really needs to cut that hair and lessen up on the make-up; she looks manish and hard.  

Sonja looked like shit during this season, but based on the new talking heads,  looks like she's back on adderall and lost the weight.  

Edited by Boo Boo
  • Love 3
18 hours ago, film noire said:

whereas Dorinda - drunk, bitter, abusive to one and all - is left to watch yet another Law and Order rerun, muttering about how unfair it all is. 

May I please add to this?

A little discounted box of wine, a roast chicken and some ghost hunters.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, eleanorofaquitaine said:

Millennials are now mostly in their 30s and some will be getting into their 40s soon. They have kids and houses and what have you, and yes, sure, many of them are moving to the suburbs as previous generations have.  But there is no evidence that people are abandoning the cities wholesale and in fact, it is more difficult now (in certain places, like most of the Northeast) for young people to move to the suburbs because of a lack of reasonably-priced housing.  

New York will be fine after this pandemic, as will Boston, as will most cities because the long-term trend is moving towards urban centers, not away from them. 

I think there is evidence. People want peace. https://thehill.com/opinion/finance/505944-americans-leave-large-cities-for-suburban-areas-and-rural-towns

Edited by OdinO.
sp
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, OdinO. said:

The Hill is a political publication that isn’t actually investigating real life trends and that article is  extrapolating a hell of a lot  based on Redfin searches which aren’t sales or even actual interest in moving I just looked at six houses in Philadelphia and a few in Mississippi yesterday with absolute no desire to move and I am not alone. Searching Redfin is like a new hobby for a lot of people even pre pandemic. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 7
6 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

The Hill is a political publication that isn’t actually investigating real life trends and that article is  extrapolating a hell of a lot  based on Redfin searches which aren’t sales or even actual interest in moving I just looked at six houses in Philadelphia and a few in Mississippi yesterday with absolute no desire to move and I am not alone. Searching Redfin is like a new hobby for a lot of people even pre pandemic. 

https://www.npr.org/2020/07/08/887585383/new-yorkers-look-to-suburbs-and-beyond-other-city-dwellers-may-be-next

Is that better? It's happening in the exurb I live in Rural West Virginia an exurb of DMV Metro area. Houses are selling before listed. People are fleeing Northern Virginia and suburban Maryland. It's crazy, but it's happening.

Edited by OdinO.
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, OdinO. said:

https://www.npr.org/2020/07/08/887585383/new-yorkers-look-to-suburbs-and-beyond-other-city-dwellers-may-be-next

Is that better? It's happening in the exurb I live in Rural West Virginia an exurb of DMV Metro area. Houses are selling before listed. People are fleeing Northern Virginia and suburban Maryland. It's crazy, but it's happening.

They aren't going to move back. They are buying properties. They can all telecommute to DC or Loudoun or really anywhere. There is no need for the volume of commercial real estate business district. People can and will work remotely.

Edited by OdinO.
1 minute ago, OdinO. said:

They aren't going to move back. They are buying properties.

Cycles like this happen and other people move (some people move back) it’s not the first time and wont be the last. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Cycles like this happen and other people move in, it’s not the first time and don’t be the last. 

Long cycles. Plus technology changes everything.

Edited by OdinO.
  • Love 1
24 minutes ago, OdinO. said:

Waves at you! I'm in Md, but about 20 minutes from Harpers Ferry!

Edited by Boo Boo
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

And here I thought I had a vocabulary.

Thanks for the word-of-the-day lesson! 😊

I'm really just a hillbilly. It might be made up term here in the Holler.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, OdinO. said:

Further to your point, while we know that real estate transactions are still happening in cities, I venture to guess its the folks who are sticking around that are buying, like Ramona moving to a higher floor for example, or somebody moving to a more fashionable neighborhood because it's a good opportunity. I certainly don't think New York is dead, and I never said that, but I'm not sure buying an apartment to stay in while I'm working there is the best decision for me right now. Whether or not these times are going to be the ultimate downfall remains to be seen. But you are correct. I saw a really cool article about millennials buying fixer uppers through that account Cheap Old Houses, and bringing the old houses back to life. I love old houses and apartments so that makes me really happy!

• Love 5

I couldn’t be happier this was the last episode with Dorinda, and she got the send off she deserved.  What a total psycho she’s turned out to be.  I do think she developed an unhealthy obsession with Tinsley, to the point of stalking her in Niagara Falls (or hiring someone to do so).  Didn’t she also have a huge dossier on one of the other HW’s, was it Sonja??  I remember her showing a huge folder to someone and them being shocked.

As far as Sonja’s townhome, I think it will have trouble selling only because of its history.  Obviously watching the show we can see it is in need of major repairs, not just aesthetic ones either but true foundational repairs.  It is definitely less desirable because it has been on and off the market for years, that makes people nervous and wonder what’s wrong with it, even if they’ve never seen this show.

New York City will never die.  Maybe people are fleeing now, but they will be back.  Just maybe not to live in Sonja’s townhouse🙂

• LOL 2
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, bkathi said:

Waving to all of you - I'm in Loudoun!

I just left Loudoun in May after raising my kids.

19 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

No, it's real.  I looked it up and everything!  

Well, cool!

• Love 1
On 9/8/2020 at 9:08 AM, Emmeline said:

I really wish we knew the story behind the divorce.  Sonja also said that if things didn’t happen the way they did, they would still be together.  Old man Morgan is on his 4th wife, so I’m sure he would have traded Sonja in for a new model at some point.

From what I've read on gossip sites, Sonja was screwing around with younger men, and got caught. Old Man Morgan subsequently dumped her, and stuck her with what I suspect he probably already knew was a white elephant townhome. Given Morgan's habit of discarding wives for younger models at regular intervals, it's doubtful they'd still be together even if she had been faithful (or at least discreet). I can't believe he's what, 89 and still alive? He looked 89 way back when she married him!

Sonya to me, a modern-day mash-up of Miss Havisham & Grey Gardens - hanging on to her moldering townhouse, pointing out to everyone that she's in the "blue book" society listing, sloppy drunk at social occasions. I kinda get why drunk Leah was yelling at her at Ramona's party. Sonja thinks she's earned a place among the bluebloods simply by being married to one for a short time, and she can't let it go. Just pitiful.

• Love 13
On 9/8/2020 at 1:21 PM, film noire said:

I dunno, I think Dorinda is likely blind with rage and jealousy when it comes to Tinsley Mortimer.

And when I run down the differences between them,  it becomes even likelier, imo. Dorinda went to a decent college, but Tinsley went to an Ivy. Dorinda sold pashminas and mugs labeled Not well, bitch;  Tinsley sold her own line of handbags, a clothing collection with Riccimi, a tabletop collection (Bed, Bath and Beyond) was the beauty ambassador for Christian Dior (where she helped create the "Tinsley Pink" lip gloss) and just released a resort collection this last spring.  Dorinda wrote nasty blogs about her fellow castmates, Tinsley wrote a novel (Southern Charm) and was a contributing columnist to Town and Country.  Dorinda taught aerobics, but Tins the southern belle - the kind of girl who glows but never perspires - was actually a nationally ranked tennis player (a lot of muscle and sweat equity in pursuit of that goal). Tinsley is the celebrity ambassador for No Dogs Left Behind. Dorinda is a celebrity ambassador for no charity (because dear jesus, who would want THAT foul-mouthed drunk as the face of your endeavour?) Dorinda is a toxic abuser who shit her own bed on camera; Tinsley survived a toxic abuser, and lived to tell the tale about the shit she survived. Dorinda taunts Luann about her mugshot;  Tinsley jokes about her own.

Wow, I had no idea Tins had been involved in all that stuff and I've never missed an episode!  The only thing I can remember is putting her name on some fake lashes.   Anyway,  you make a good case Film Noire.  I stand corrected.   😀

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 9
18 hours ago, film noire said:

Tinsley paid for Columbia through privilege, but she didn't get into Columbia - and stay in and graduate - through privilege alone. She needed to meet an intellectual standard, and did. She received tennis lessons through privilege, but privilege didn't get her nationally ranked; her own tenacity and hard work and talent did that. Privilege didn't keep her from being physically attacked by an abusive ex, or magically leave her whole after the abuse ended, or erase her mugshot  - or give Tinsley a nurturing mother when her daughter broke down in front of her -  Tinsley earned those battle wounds and accolades, imo, by surviving or thriving.

Many people have had abusive ex'es and crazy mothers and have never had the privilege Tinsley had.

The fact that Tinsley had privilege is why Dorinda's hatred of her seems so bizarre.  Tinsley had nothing to do with the privilege she was born with, no need to hate a person for having something they had no control over.  

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 4
8 hours ago, OdinO. said:

They aren't going to move back. They are buying properties. They can all telecommute to DC or Loudoun or really anywhere. There is no need for the volume of commercial real estate business district. People can and will work remotely.

I have a friend whose daughter is doing exactly that.  She doesn't want to go back to NYC.  I think that she and her family are in search of a little farm somewhere quiet.  I seriously think they're off to prep for doomsday.  Just a hunch after we were invited to join the adventure! Unfortunately for Sonja, this is probably the worst time to be selling a home in NYC, from what I've been seeing (correct me if I'm wrong.)  I'm in the South and people are buying up homes and property like mad here.   

I think Sonja has a nice townhouse, but I'd have to inspect it up close to see just how much work it needs.  Everything looks fairly decent on TV, then when you see it up close, it might just look like crap (ceilings, walls, basement, etc.)  I wouldn't want to be next to the parking garage either.  I think there are nicer properties with a view for that amount of money.  At least there's a small yard in the back.  That would be nice to have in the city.  

• Love 6
13 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

Everything looks fairly decent on TV,

Legit every time she has gone to check on the place the last few seasons there has been a massive leak in a different place. That place is full of delayed maintenance.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Neurochick said:

The fact that Tinsley had privilege is why Dorinda's hatred of her seems so bizarre.  Tinsley had nothing to do with the privilege she was born with, no need to hate a person for having something they had no control over.  

MS. Chick, I've seen a couple of your posts regarding Tinsley's privilege and I feel like I am missing something.  Ms. Noire addressed some of your comments but I think you have a point to make that I'm not getting.  Goodness, we've read each others posts around here for many shows so I only want to be respectful.

Don't you think most of them have had some sort of privilege?  Or if not privilege, the moxie to get them where they are now?  

"Life is but a dream...." (The Birdcage) and I'm now off for some Pirin tablets.  And, "We are Family..."

Edited by albarino
  • Love 6
10 hours ago, OdinO. said:

"People want peace"? What does that even mean? I live in the City of Boston - my neighborhood, which is heavily occupied by students, is "peaceful." I have friends who live in New York and DC and LA and SF and all over the country. None of those cities are "war zones," despite what certain media outlets might be saying.

Anyway, "peace" isn't confined to suburbs or exurbs or rural areas, which also have social challenges like addiction, poverty, crime, and racism. Certainly the pandemic, in the short term, is impacting our cities. But the pandemic will end, cities will return, and the fact that there are people in cities - but not just in cities - working hard for racial justice will have ZERO impact IMO on the long-term health of cities (except maybe to make them better by making them more equitable). 

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
52 minutes ago, eleanorofaquitaine said:

"People want peace"? What does that even mean? I live in the City of Boston - my neighborhood, which is heavily occupied by students, is "peaceful." I have friends who live in New York and DC and LA and SF and all over the country. None of those cities are "war zones," despite what certain media outlets might be saying.

Anyway, "peace" isn't confined to suburbs or exurbs or rural areas, which also have social challenges like addiction, poverty, crime, and racism. Certainly the pandemic, in the short term, is impacting our cities. But the pandemic will end, cities will return, and the fact that there are people in cities - but not just in cities - working hard for racial justice will have ZERO impact IMO on the long-term health of cities (except maybe to make them better by making them more equitable). 

LOL! Thank you. That was the line I've been puzzling over. I didn't read the article, but "peace" used in this context in my experience is usually a dog-whistle. That said, I'd be happy if the super rich wanting to be at their country house makes rent go down here in my war zone (aka, NYC).

Dorinda's final outburst was really something. I was recently reading a certain bestseller and it reminded me a of a scene where the author, as an 8-year-old, tells her alcoholic father a funny story about playing around with slips from the bank and he gets furious and starts ranting and nobody can explain to him that he's making no sense because he's got it in his head and he's drunk. Seems like Dorinda's like that all the time.

• Love 7
10 hours ago, Cosmocrush said:

Wow, I had no idea Tins had been involved in all that stuff and I've never missed an episode! 

I'm not surprised, CosmoCrush - I really like Tinsley's lack of big-ass braggadocio, but jesus, she hides every accomplishment under her ruffles - she could do with a bit more Julia Sugarbaker ("And that! Was the night! The lights went out in Georgia!"  : )  

9 hours ago, Neurochick said:

Many people have had abusive ex'es and crazy mothers and have never had the privilege Tinsley had.

Of course.  But a fist in your face still punches a hole in your soul,  regardless of bank statements.  She survived that brutality. Didn't give up. Went looking for a better life. I wish her well for it.

tinsley mortimer bruised.jpg

Edited by film noire
  • Love 16
10 hours ago, eleanorofaquitaine said:

Away from the hustle and grind.  A yearning for nature. Is that okay with you if people want peace and quiet?

• Love 4
4 hours ago, OdinO. said:

Away from the hustle and grind.  A yearning for nature. Is that okay with you if people want peace and quiet?

"People" "yearn for nature" is awfully broad. I grew up practically in the woods - my house was literally next to conservation land.  It was a wonderful place to grow up and I would never denigrate it but there's a reason why I've lived in a city for the last 25 years. I don't "yearn" to go back to that kind of lifestyle. I haven't found it that hard to find "peace and quiet" in the city. Some people "yearn" to live in an urban environment and I imagine that humanity, being varied, will continue to have people who yearn for both. 

Anyway, I imagine that if Sonja priced her townhouse reasonably, she'd find a buyer. IMO, she still doesn't really want to sell that place because it's too tied to her identity as Lady Morgan, and that's why she hasn't sold it yet. Because she doesn't want to. 

Edited by eleanorofaquitaine
  • Love 1
On 9/5/2020 at 12:58 PM, Kiki777 said:

I’m not sure she had her stalked.  Don’t get me wrong - I find Dorinda repulsive and could never make sense of the way she treated Tinsley- but when D said she had proof from ‘a friend’ that Tinsley had seen Scott in Canada, I thought that was all on production.  Like maybe one of them was curious about Tinsley slipping away during filming season and went up to investigate and possibly find fuel for a ‘storyline’.  Took a snapshot and gave it to Dorinda who foamed at the mouth and ran with it.  This manipulation probably motivated Tinsley to finally quit - I’m sure her being on the show was the main reason her relationship with Scott had been so on-and-off.

I agree. Just as people accused Bethenny of paying people to follow Tom and catch his cheating.  I believe both were production, and in least that example, they were egging on Dorinda to go at Tinsley. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, eleanorofaquitaine said:

"People" "yearn for nature" is awfully broad. I grew up practically in the woods - my house was literally next to conservation land.  It was a wonderful place to grow up and I would never denigrate it but there's a reason why I've lived in a city for the last 25 years. I don't "yearn" to go back to that kind of lifestyle. I haven't found it that hard to find "peace and quiet" in the city. Some people "yearn" to live in an urban environment and I imagine that humanity, being varied, will continue to have people who yearn for both. 

Anyway, I imagine that if Sonja priced her townhouse reasonably, she'd find a buyer. IMO, she still doesn't really want to sell that place because it's too tied to her identity as Lady Morgan, and that's why she hasn't sold it yet. Because she doesn't want to. 

I was talking about trends, not you. This trend predates COVID-19.

• Love 3

Sonja's townhouse is only worth what someone will pay for it; if it's not selling it's overpriced.   I live in the Pacific NW and at least in the biggest counties, including Seattle, it's a seller's market.   Houses are selling all over the country because money is super cheap right now and mortgages are at record lows.   Yes, there are other factors like more people being able to work from home anywhere so they can live wherever they like rather than wherever they work but the rates are helping to drive the decision to buy.  

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 9/3/2020 at 9:07 PM, Steph J said:

From what I heard, I don't think what Luann was doing can be characterized as a "song" or as "singing."

I agree, but a part of me has always envied people who can perform a song like that, because there’s no pressure. You don’t have to be concerned with singing off key, hitting sour note or losing the melody! Lol  It’s more like a recitation.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 2