Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E12: There's No Place Like Home

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, biakbiak said:

They can be. Both Rocky and Caroline have locked their cabin doors, in Rocky’s case Eddie was  in full asshat mode when he was trying to silence her about their hookup used a knife to break the lock. Kate and Josiah just cranked the tunes until Caroline unlocked her door.

Re: door locks..........I referred to the bathroom door, not the entrance door to the cabin.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, NYCFree said:

Aren't there locks on bathroom doors on a yacht?

(from my one time on a boat like this!):

You can lock guest cabin doors from the inside so that no one walks in on you, but there's a little hidden lever on the outside of the door that will unlock it. I assumed it was for safety/rescue purposes. Hard to imagine that crew quarters wouldn't have the same feature - if the boat was taking on water, you wouldn't want to have to find the person with a key if the person inside wasn't conscious.

Edited by OldButHappy
  • Useful 4
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, AryasMum said:

I’m not familiar with Australian prescriptions, but to me, that seems like the type of warning you see on all prescription bottles here.  Regardless, the prescription is written to be taken up to three times a day.  Anyone who’s taken low dose Valium, particularly for anxiety or a panic attack, knows 5 mg will not sedate or put you to sleep. 

Also, every time they set Hannah up to look like an addict, we can hear a pill bottle being turned over. A Valium being popped out of the cardboard package does not make that sound. As a frequent ibuprofen user, I recognize the sound, and Hannah has said it was Advil (ibuprofen) that she was taking.  Hannah has also stated she had not taken any Valium on board.  

It's not a warning it is what the doctor has prescribed the medication for....to aid sleep!  I do not think for a moment that that Hannah is a drug abuser, I don't believe she ever took any valium on the boat, she said she didn't and she has no reason to lie.  As I said before I worked in a hospital pharmacy, I know how prescriptions are written. Everyone is different and 5mg of Valium will knock me out.  Nor do I believe that you can recognize the sound of Advil.  

Edited by endure
  • Love 4

With all the other craziness, let's not forget Sandy's ridiculous "Wasted Flight Attendant on a Crashing Plane" scenario to attempt to justify her stupidity.

I would venture that many of us here have at times found ourselves in an emergency situation with some degree of intoxication/exhaustion and it's amazing how that instantly disappears and the training/humanity just kicks in and you do what you have to do, almost without thinking.

13 minutes ago, endure said:

I don't believe she ever took any valium on the boat, she said she didn't and she has no reason to lie.

And it would be real easy to just count the pills left in the package that's 2 months old.

• Love 10
59 minutes ago, endure said:

I don't believe she ever took any valium on the boat, she said she didn't and she has no reason to lie.

47 minutes ago, PaperTree said:

And it would be real easy to just count the pills left in the package that's 2 months old.

If you freeze the video when the rules are shown, it mentions random drug tests.  Why not ask for a urine sample?  She was already in the bathroom.

• Useful 3
  • Love 5
9 minutes ago, Jack Sampson said:

If you freeze the video when the rules are shown, it mentions random drug tests.  Why not ask for a urine sample?  She was already in the bathroom.

Exactly, why didn't they?  I don't think they really cared or even thought it out, it was maybe just a ruse to get her fired....hard to know.  Honestly I think Hannah should sue over it, especially for what Malia did by taking her personal property out of her bag, taking photos and basically showing them to the world and then going on youtube accusing her of taking narcotics every day while she was on the ship.  

• Love 10
6 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Yep

So you're okay with an admitted addict Captaining your yacht. No worries there, right?

I didn't mean that as an attack but I'm curious why one is okay.

Edited by nokat
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, PaperTree said:

I would venture that many of us here have at times found ourselves in an emergency situation with some degree of intoxication/exhaustion and it's amazing how that instantly disappears and the training/humanity just kicks in and you do what you have to do, almost without thinking.

I want to emphasize this, because all of the training is specifically so your body/brain knows what to do. Muscle training I think it is called. I could go on about how your brain is the last one to know.

• Love 6
25 minutes ago, GreyBunny said:

Looks like someone snagged this from Insta.

What an absolute spoiled juvenile. Lee, Glen, and Mark would never stoop this low.

Somebody is really working hard to save her career.  With 8 more episodes to go, she seems really desperate right now.

And Sandy, we don't need or want your forgiveness.

Shutting off your SM comments = "La la la la la I can't hear you!!!!"

• LOL 5
  • Love 16
3 hours ago, nokat said:

I want to emphasize this, because all of the training is specifically so your body/brain knows what to do. Muscle training I think it is called. I could go on about how your brain is the last one to know.

I think you both are describing an adrenaline rush or the fight or flight response when the hormone epinephine kicks In when you’re under certain usually stressful situations.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Jack Sampson said:

Would a regular drug test even show valum? I've been drug tested for jobs before, they were testing for illegal drugs, not a prescribed medication. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
16 minutes ago, Fostersmom said:

Would a regular drug test even show valum? I've been drug tested for jobs before, they were testing for illegal drugs, not a prescribed medication. 

Most employer tests detect them, the lab just doesn’t report back the results of drugs like that if you don’t request that information. Though with the way Sandy kept throwing around “pot pen” she was also accusing her of using illegal drugs. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
16 hours ago, AnnieBananie said:

Hannah's calm demeanor in the face of Sandy's near-hysterics impressed me, but I also imagine that Hannah may have felt some sense of relief.

So far this season, Hannah's said in multiple talking heads, or commented otherwise that she's felt frustrated, angry, hasn't felt like herself (which Sandy has nastily commented on, too) and had to deal with Lara's existence and Kiko's departure, so this confrontation with Sandy may have come as more of a welcome release than anything. Why argue with Sandy - which would give the latter exactly what she wanted - when Hannah could just remain silent and with a minimum of fuss, get out of a situation causing her extreme stress? 

It's brilliant, honestly.

What was even more brilliant was Hannah yawning (at least twice that I noticed) while Sandy was lecturing her in Sandy's office.  I loved that!! 

• LOL 3
  • Love 17
7 hours ago, endure said:

I think you both are describing an adrenaline rush or the fight or flight response when the hormone epinephine kicks In when you’re under certain usually stressful situations.

Most definitely.  And that seems to pull up one's previous training/experiences in a millisecond.

ex.  I worked in chemical labs for years and the company sent us for annual fire training at the county fire school. (until it cost too much) It was no joke.  Many years later, when the mulch outside my house caught fire, I instantly knew what to do and quickly put it out without even thinking.  Then I bought an extra extinguisher 🙂 

I think Hannah had a similar reaction.  Her training taught her to remain calm and not overreact to Sandy's insane belligerence.  Sandy could use some management training.

• Love 10
55 minutes ago, PaperTree said:

Most definitely.  And that seems to pull up one's previous training/experiences in a millisecond.

So much this ^^^It's why anyone who may have to deal with an emergency gets training, it becomes something automatic. You may freak out after the fact, but not during.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, endure said:

Like Sandy gives a shit about prevention or trust. We've already discussed why a captain who actually gave a shit would have let Travis go after smelling alcohol on him. Travis was likely still drunk from the night before. He got a hug. Hannah has an anxiety disorder that Sandy knows about and a valid prescription, but Hannah gets fired because an anxiety disorder makes Hannah less trustworthy. And yeah, Sandy has made a ton of excuses for Travis' abuse of "just alcohol." She clearly is a twit who doesn't know or understand the number of deaths due to "just alcohol."

• Love 22
2 minutes ago, HunterHunted said:

She clearly is a twit who doesn't know or understand the number of deaths due to "just alcohol."

It’s probably goes back to her narcissism and attempting to downplay her own addictions since she is a recovering alcoholic which makes her minimizing of Travis’ behavior even worse!

• Useful 1
  • Love 13
On 8/19/2020 at 12:25 PM, NYCFree said:

Why would she lock the door of a mostly private bathroom when her room mate wasn’t even in the cabin when she entered?

And isn't said bathroom that Sandy barged into INSIDE Hanna's closed door cabin in the first place?

• Love 10
3 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

Like Sandy gives a shit about prevention or trust. We've already discussed why a captain who actually gave a shit would have let Travis go after smelling alcohol on him. Travis was likely still drunk from the night before. He got a hug. Hannah has an anxiety disorder that Sandy knows about and a valid prescription, but Hannah gets fired because an anxiety disorder makes Hannah less trustworthy. And yeah, Sandy has made a ton of excuses for Travis' abuse of "just alcohol." She clearly is a twit who doesn't know or understand the number of deaths due to "just alcohol."

She should be aware considering her background alone as I've read she's had a few DUI's and arrests in her past, maybe she learned not to drink but didn't learn anything from her behaviour. I think she's just backtracking and spinning it as per PaperTree ~ she wasn't expecting anyone to take offence at how she handled this whole mess or to dare question her authority lol.  

Edited by endure
  • Love 10

I think she knew Hannah wasn't super popular on social media, she's had plenty of haters over the years, and thought she wouldn't get any backlash for this. Little did she know, her love affair with Malia, her nasty attitude towards Kiko, the way she handled Lara's nastiness, the bringing back of Bugsy, and her pure hatred towards Hannah this season would bring out allllll sorts of sympathy for Hannah and Kiko. Oh yeah, and even those who have liked her micromanaging Captain Famewhoring in the past have turned against her. Poor Sandy, the tables have turned. Boo hoo.... so sad. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 23
1 hour ago, Fostersmom said:

I think she knew Hannah wasn't super popular on social media, she's had plenty of haters over the years, and thought she wouldn't get any backlash for this. Little did she know, her love affair with Malia, her nasty attitude towards Kiko, the way she handled Lara's nastiness, the bringing back of Bugsy, and her pure hatred towards Hannah this season would bring out allllll sorts of sympathy for Hannah and Kiko. Oh yeah, and even those who have liked her micromanaging Captain Famewhoring in the past have turned against her. Poor Sandy, the tables have turned. Boo hoo.... so sad. 

Well said!  I hope that "puppy" whining on IG gets her docked for good.  

• LOL 3
  • Love 9

I think what upset me about this episode is that Sandy and Malia keep changing their stories about what the issues are.

They state or imply that Hannah has illegal drugs, that she has taken drugs routinely that have left her impaired, and that she cannot be trusted with her job, because she was "freaking out" and hyperventilating.  There is no evidence that these things are true.  

What is true, and Hannah admits, is that she did not register her legal medication with the boat.  I'm just wondering if termination is a reasonable consequence.

If there is a clear, consistent, sacred rule that any medication, prescription or OTC, must be declared and registered in writing before the charter, then that is the rule.  Even if it is only Sandy's rule (because Capt. Lee didn't note it) if she is clear about the rule's importance at the beginning of each charter, then all crew should follow the rule.  What I would like to know is how consistently is this rule followed and enforced across all charters?  Among all of Sandy's charters, how many medications are routinely declared?  Does each crew member typically turn in a form filled with all the meds they bring along?  I can't imagine being stuck on a boat for six weeks without packing all kinds of medications just in case- even when I was young.  The indication is that all meds- even if OTC like Benedryl must be registered.  So I would think Sandy would be very clear about the seriousness of this and would have everyone's list of declared medications.  

On the other hand, if this is a rarely-enforced policy that no one mentions and no one cares about, then termination is not appropriate.  Did Hannah try to deceptively leave her prescription meds off a declaration form that everyone routinely receives?  Or does registering a medication require such a production of red tape that no one has time for it as they are rushing to get the yacht ready for the first charter?  What is on Malia's form?  She has no trouble broadcasting Hannah's belongings, so Malia's should be shared with us as well.  Pete indicates that drugss aren't always registered but he may not be the most reliable source. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, PaperTree said:

Well said!  I hope that "puppy" whining on IG gets her docked for good.  

Yeah, she's obsessed with the stupid puppy filter. She's used it in few of her Insta stories. And so much for not allowing comments on her Instagram. Her latest post is her fucking around with COTTON CANDY!!! and there are comments.... only ass kissing comments like yummy though. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Sue Anne said:

I think what upset me about this episode is that Sandy and Malia keep changing their stories about what the issues are.

They state or imply that Hannah has illegal drugs, that she has taken drugs routinely that have left her impaired, and that she cannot be trusted with her job, because she was "freaking out" and hyperventilating.  There is no evidence that these things are true.  

What is true, and Hannah admits, is that she did not register her legal medication with the boat.  I'm just wondering if termination is a reasonable consequence.

If there is a clear, consistent, sacred rule that any medication, prescription or OTC, must be declared and registered in writing before the charter, then that is the rule.  Even if it is only Sandy's rule (because Capt. Lee didn't note it) if she is clear about the rule's importance at the beginning of each charter, then all crew should follow the rule.  What I would like to know is how consistently is this rule followed and enforced across all charters?  Among all of Sandy's charters, how many medications are routinely declared?  Does each crew member typically turn in a form filled with all the meds they bring along?  I can't imagine being stuck on a boat for six weeks without packing all kinds of medications just in case- even when I was young.  The indication is that all meds- even if OTC like Benedryl must be registered.  So I would think Sandy would be very clear about the seriousness of this and would have everyone's list of declared medications.  

On the other hand, if this is a rarely-enforced policy that no one mentions and no one cares about, then termination is not appropriate.  Did Hannah try to deceptively leave her prescription meds off a declaration form that everyone routinely receives?  Or does registering a medication require such a production of red tape that no one has time for it as they are rushing to get the yacht ready for the first charter?  What is on Malia's form?  She has no trouble broadcasting Hannah's belongings, so Malia's should be shared with us as well.  Pete indicates that drugss aren't always registered but he may not be the most reliable source. 

applause.gif

36 minutes ago, Fostersmom said:

Yeah, she's obsessed with the stupid puppy filter. She's used it in few of her Insta stories. And so much for not allowing comments on her Instagram. Her latest post is her fucking around with COTTON CANDY!!! and there are comments.... only ass kissing comments like yummy though. 

Barf!

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Shipwreck Sandy said Capt Lee took down his twitter post about crew rankings because “he was incorrect.” Wrong, liar, he took it down because he didn’t want it to appear he was taking sides. Bitch will throw anyone under the bus to save face.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Fostersmom said:

Us when Sandy gets fired.

t0vwVWA.gif

• LOL 11
  • Love 1
On 8/19/2020 at 11:02 PM, GreyBunny said:

Looks like someone snagged this from Insta.

What an absolute spoiled juvenile. Lee, Glen, and Mark would never stoop this low.

This looks like something a kid in elementary school would do - in terms of both content and production value.

• LOL 1
  • Love 11

I haven’t watched the last two episodes since I said I was done and I am.  However, here are my thoughts on how terrible Sandy really is as a captain and the ways she’s illustrated it this season.  She truly sucks. Lara: Sandy completely missed her opportunity to fire someone who actually deserved it.  Instead, she begged her to be nice and do her job, and Lara walked off the next morning. 🤦‍♀️.  Kiko: Sandy is so desperate for camera time she literally stands over the chef and harps on his every move, clearly affecting his concentration and focus, leads the guests into being dissatisfied by questioning his every meal and then, completely missing the boat on what a great employee he is in spite of one meal, she goes gunning for him before the charter is over and there are still more meals to cook.  Of course, like Hannah, he totally messes up her big firing scene by simply saying he’ll leave.  Again, she doesn’t get to fire someone because essentially Kiko saw the writing all the walls long before that moment when she was all over him every day and simply let her know he’d leave on his own...it’s funny how she acts like she fired him by saying she has to let him go, AFTER he’s already said he’ll go.  So Sandy again misses he boat (pun intended) by attempting to fire someone whose actually working hard and giving the job their all, and is actually a nice person.  Hannah: everyone has covered this and I haven’t watched it, but enough said - I trust you all when you say Hannah played her perfectly and AGAIN messed up her big attempt to fire someone, while simultaneously ignoring the terrible behavior of Malia and failing to actually reprimand her for her crossing lines, going through someone’s bags, making rooming demands she has no right to make AND remember Captain Lee saying if he has to do your job, why does he need you? Well Malia couldn’t get the guys to stop calling her sweetheart without Sandy....when Sandy should have told her to take charge and stop allowing them to disrespect you.  Sandy is simply a terrible manager, she manages on her emotions BAD and “good”, has double-standards, fails to use basic leadership skills and randomly enforces regulations only when they fit whatever narrative she wants.  If Bravo keeps her, they are idiots...but then they’ve already made it clear they are, so I have little hope they’ll replace her. 

• Love 11
52 minutes ago, Onecattoo said:

I haven’t watched the last two episodes since I said I was done and I am.  However, here are my thoughts on how terrible Sandy really is as a captain and the ways she’s illustrated it this season.  She truly sucks. Lara: Sandy completely missed her opportunity to fire someone who actually deserved it.  Instead, she begged her to be nice and do her job, and Lara walked off the next morning. 🤦‍♀️.  Kiko: Sandy is so desperate for camera time she literally stands over the chef and harps on his every move, clearly affecting his concentration and focus, leads the guests into being dissatisfied by questioning his every meal and then, completely missing the boat on what a great employee he is in spite of one meal, she goes gunning for him before the charter is over and there are still more meals to cook.  Of course, like Hannah, he totally messes up her big firing scene by simply saying he’ll leave.  Again, she doesn’t get to fire someone because essentially Kiko saw the writing all the walls long before that moment when she was all over him every day and simply let her know he’d leave on his own...it’s funny how she acts like she fired him by saying she has to let him go, AFTER he’s already said he’ll go.  So Sandy again misses he boat (pun intended) by attempting to fire someone whose actually working hard and giving the job their all, and is actually a nice person.  Hannah: everyone has covered this and I haven’t watched it, but enough said - I trust you all when you say Hannah played her perfectly and AGAIN messed up her big attempt to fire someone, while simultaneously ignoring the terrible behavior of Malia and failing to actually reprimand her for her crossing lines, going through someone’s bags, making rooming demands she has no right to make AND remember Captain Lee saying if he has to do your job, why does he need you? Well Malia couldn’t get the guys to stop calling her sweetheart without Sandy....when Sandy should have told her to take charge and stop allowing them to disrespect you.  Sandy is simply a terrible manager, she manages on her emotions BAD and “good”, has double-standards, fails to use basic leadership skills and randomly enforces regulations only when they fit whatever narrative she wants.  If Bravo keeps her, they are idiots...but then they’ve already made it clear they are, so I have little hope they’ll replace her. 

Like you, I am done with this season (although I lasted 2 more episodes than you) and I will be done with the show entirely if Bravo does not replace both her AND Malia next season.  I will continue reading here hoping beyond hope that karma comes a-calling but I have no faith that it will.  I fear the most we will get is the backlash and vitriol that is being spewed toward Bravo, Sandy, and Malia and I truly hope it doesn't let up as they ALL deserve it after this disdainful display.

• Love 5
On 8/20/2020 at 8:23 AM, Fostersmom said:

Even a basic six panel drug test typically includes Benzos. 

• Useful 2
On 8/17/2020 at 8:57 PM, JennyMominFL said:

The prescription was literally on the box just like it would be on your pill bottle here in the USA

Just heard an interview with Hannah on Danny Pellegrino's podcast, where she talked about this. It wasn't shown, but apparently Sandy didn't think the prescription on the box was sufficient "proof" and also wanted a piece of paper or some doctor's note. Which is ridiculous, by the way. Hannah also said that, although she had already left the boat, her doctor did send over the second proof of prescription a couple days later. The other thing Hannah said is that she's had this prescription before in previous seasons, so yes, while she does own up to not properly registering the info with Sandy this time around, it's not like Sandy wasn't aware that Hannah takes valium for her anxiety. She said she talked about it openly over the past couple of seasons.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
3 hours ago, Onecattoo said:

Boy are they scrambling to cover sucky Sandy!  Problem is....we already know no maritime laws were broken. 😂🤣😂 https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/below-deck-med-executive-producer-says-captain-sandys-hands-were-tied-when-it-came-to-firing-hannah-ferrier.html/

I loved executive producer Nadine Rajabi tying herself in knots trying to cover Sandy.

From the article:

Rajabi said that a non-production camera on the boat was installed on the ceiling of the bridge. This camera picked up every conversation, putting Yawn in a no-win situation. “[The camera] records everything,” she described on the Reality Life with Kate Casey podcast. “It almost serves as a black box of the boat and that records everything. So when there’s information like this on there, it’s kind of like your hands are tied. Because it’s recorded.”

Let's rephrase that: There was a camera present we didn't control. If it hadn't been there we could have done whatever the fuck we wanted.

The producer goes on:

Legal ramifications also prevented production from intervening. “It was beyond the network’s control because of maritime law,” she said.

Let's rephrase that: But whatever the fuck we wanted was to have Sandy fire Hannah, so the tattletale camera really didn't matter. We thought people actually liked and respected Yawn. Hoo boy, were we wrong. I was tapped to mount the salvage operation. "Maritime Law" to the rescue! It's a magic phrase. We only have to say it and people will believe!

On the relationship between Sandy and Hannah:

“... I think right now the relationship is very severed because of everything.”

Ya think?

• Love 10

Bravo always seems to miscalculate who is popular.

They thought that the complaining about Hannah on social media and these boards would translate to glee at seeing her destroyed by being falsely portrayed as a drug abuser.

Instead most people are fair and they are outraged by someone having their personal possessions searched, being followed into the bathroom and being shamed because of mental health issues.

They have destroyed Sandy and Malia’s for most of us. Good riddance.

Please give us a new Captain next year.

Edited by The Ringo Kidd
  • Love 20
4 hours ago, candle96 said:

Just heard an interview with Hannah on Danny Pellegrino's podcast, where she talked about this. It wasn't shown, but apparently Sandy didn't think the prescription on the box was sufficient "proof" and also wanted a piece of paper or some doctor's note. Which is ridiculous, by the way. Hannah also said that, although she had already left the boat, her doctor did send over the second proof of prescription a couple days later. The other thing Hannah said is that she's had this prescription before in previous seasons, so yes, while she does own up to not properly registering the info with Sandy this time around, it's not like Sandy wasn't aware that Hannah takes valium for her anxiety. She said she talked about it openly over the past couple of seasons.

Sandy acted as if the medicine were illegal because Hannah had no prescription.  

If that were the case, though, why would she return the Valium  to Hannah before Hannah left?

Imagine if Hannah actually had something like cocaine or if her Valium had someone else's name on the prescription.  Sandy would not just have given it back to Hannah to walk off the boat with.  She would follow whatever procedures "Maritime Law" dictated- lock it up for evidence, turn it in to authorities, etc.  

After all her attitude about the severity of Hannah's "drug possession,"  she just handed it back to her to keep.   

• Love 20