Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E12: There's No Place Like Home

• Start Topic

11 hours ago, endure said:

It says it is to aid sleep.

When a doctor writes up a prescription, all it needs is one reason, not every reason.

Considering that Hannah wanted her valium at 4 am after a panic attack in her own bunk, it’s safe to say one of the reasons a Hannah takes it is to aid sleep.

• Love 14
23 minutes ago, GreyBunny said:

When a doctor writes up a prescription, all it needs is one reason, not every reason.

Considering that Hannah wanted her valium at 4 am after a panic attack in her own bunk, it’s safe to say one of the reasons a Hannah takes it is to aid sleep.

Really, i was only responding to a comment on my original post, i originally noticed what the prescribing doctor wrote because i worked in a hospital pharmacy for years.  Doctors are required to be specific btw.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Stuffy said:

After reading somewhere, probably a former BD cast member’s link, I’m wondering how much Sandy actually captains. The first mate on the Below Deck Med shows is often the owner’s captain.

It would explain why she’s always in the galley and pestering guests. I’d also bet the “first mate” is off screen when she actually does drive the boat. If her reputation is so great, wouldn’t the owners trust her to be the only captain. 

Maybe because of her own medical conditions.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
23 hours ago, JennyMominFL said:

I wish they would give my husband narcan, but it has never even been suggested here in fl. He has been one one opioid (or 2) for. 13 years now and he has never had problems with his opioids being reduced. He had an ascending aortic dissection, the same thing that killed John Ritter.   Doctors can easily see his chest incisions, skin graft scars, fascitomy scars Etc. There is never a question that his need is real. They have also never had an issue giving him meds like valium with his opioids. I truly believe he would kill himself if they cut off his pain meds

And what Sandy and some people dont seem to get is  that her valium, and my husbands Oxy, dont make them high. They keep them normal. I would have a much stronger reaction to valium or oxy than they would. Im sure Sandy would see my husband as a drug addict rather than a survivor

You explained this very well.  Thank you.

22 hours ago, Marvin said:

I find it funny that Capt. Sandy doesn't allow drugs on board, yet allows the crew and guests to get blind drunk - so much so that they are often working hung over !! 

Good point.  Someone told me once that it's not terribly uncommon for people to get DUI's the morning after because they still have so much alcohol in their systems.

----

This whole situation is whacked in so many ways, but the one thing I'd really like to know is the truth about "maritime law" and how it is used in the context here.  What does "maritime law" actually mean? What geographic areas does it cover?

I came across the following on Twitter.  I'm not sure if what he/she says is accurate, but it makes sense.  Sandy said that she ended up firing Hannah primarily because she couldn't trust her anymore - not maritime law.

Malia is doing herself no favors droning on about "maritime law" because it sounds as if she may not have all her facts straight.

This same person claims the charter guests were told to complain about Kiko's food.  Also, if it's true and Hannah knew she had a short contract, it would explain why she looked so disheartened from day 1.

Finally, you gotta consider the source, but Peter Hunziker...the sexist deckhand...claims Malia uses cocaine - although off-charter.  He also states that he used anxiety meds during the charter season and didn't face the same consequences Hannah did.

http://realitytvland.com/fired-below-deck-mediterranean-star-peter-hunziker-rants-about-malia-white-for-alleged-cocaine-use-says-he-took-anxiety-medicine-during-charter-season-and-didnt-face-consequences-like-hannah/

Edited by Jextella
  • Useful 12
  • Love 3
On 8/17/2020 at 10:11 PM, ParadoxLost said:

Then he moans about replacing the dishes so much that Bugsy has to talk them out of re-doing that course and then they move on to under cooked lobster which not just one picky person sends back but basically everyone sends back..

Then he lost his shit about a potato.  I didn't quite catch what happened to the potato.  Did he throw it on the ground during the lobster tantrum?

As far as I could tell, he made some remark about "well, guess I'll have to throw out the potatoes too" and Bugsy did just that - put the potatoes in the garbage.  But turns out he was just being sarcastic/complaining and so then he yelled at Bugsy for doing what he said

This should be fun to watch him the next few weeks. Kind of hoping he blames Malia and dumps her!  When he was complaining to Malia about this being a mistake, I'm wondering if it didn't have to do with remaking the food as much as being on reality tv  and possibly having his food and relationships with others be subjected to producer shenanigans. I wasn't convinced all those problems with dinner and the guests sprung about organically. (even though they do seem like awful guests. That older chatty guy was disgusting!)

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
On 8/17/2020 at 10:44 PM, esco1822 said:

Yup. I believe it was Anastasia who posted the video on Twitter of Captain Lee and Kat who confessed to having taken anti-anxiety meds every day on charter. In this case she had allegedly taken too much and it made her appease drunk. So she confessed to Lee she was taking the meds. He certainly had no prior knowledge, he asked her to go get the box and that was that. No firing, no quoting maritime law. Perhaps Hannah needs a maritime lawyer. I know of one.

1C3D780D-8E06-4245-A7DF-B19A2C5E72F9.png

🎶 ”You’re a crook Captain Hook...” 🎶

• Love 3
13 hours ago, AttackTurtle said:
16 hours ago, Lassus said:

Someone said this earlier, which sounded odd to me.  Has there been something this season where that's been evident?  

Watch her first season.

Not entirely sure how that's relevant to this season, which has gone on for awhile.

21 hours ago, Luckylondon said:

I thought she asked the guys to get her suitcase out of storage in the Laz. While they were doing that she went to have a cigarette and call her boyfriend. After the run in off boat with Sandy, she came back on board and her suitcase was in the dining area. I figured she was going to then go pack. It is hard to tell with the editing. Did the guys pack for her? Didn’t seem like it. They didn’t even seem to know for sure if she had left, quit, fired or even the reason why for certain. Maybe production packed? I could not handle someone else packing for me. I need Valium thinking about it. 

Yes, and notice that her last few talking heads about the firing - - were filmed back on the boat.

The background had her seated and talking in the main lounge area, then in the cigar room. 

Edited by Bossa Nova
  • Useful 3
9 minutes ago, Bossa Nova said:

Yes, and notice that her last few talking heads about the firing - - were filmed back on the boat.

The background had her seated and talking in the main lounge area, then in the cigar room. 

They use green screens for all of their THs. None are filmed on the boat. During the season they film in a hotel room, pre-covid they filmed the later THs in LA sometimes at the same time which is why some BDO and BDM have hooked up. Post they are doing them at home.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Useful 6
  • Love 6
10 hours ago, mbaywife123 said:

Sorry folks, gotta go. Two major fires now out of totally out of control in our area, major Cal Fire teams  and other agencies on scene. Mr. Mbay and I  in the valley below and ok but are on high alert standby to help our friends and families to evacuate if needed. This is really getting BAD!

Please stay safe...prayers for all involved!  ❤️ 

• Love 11
On 8/17/2020 at 10:38 PM, howiveaddict said:

Narcotics in the US, or benzos like valium, have to be on paper with the Dr's signature. Not an electronic one.  

Satan Andy is on vacation.  Caught the first minute of last night's episode, where he said that.  He was using one of those roller things on his face when the camera went live.   

In New York State it is the opposite. Controlled substances must be prescribed electronically. This is to prevent the theft and use of doctors’ prescription pads.

I think Sandy, Malia and production miscalculated big time on this path.

• Love 18
On 8/18/2020 at 4:50 AM, elsie said:

The new charter guests are repulsive.

While I don't doubt this assumption, at this point even the viewers that still believed that reality TV was truly "real" and unscripted have had their eyes opened with this episode. Manipulations happen EVERYWHERE. 

Spoiler

Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy, WWE, reality TV, the US dollar, the Lucky Charms leprechaun (he might still be real), Chupacabra, "news", Borat, etc., have all been exposed as fake.

The responses on this thread have been a joy to read. 

Edited by LaLaLaLa
Spelling
  • LOL 4
  • Love 4
19 hours ago, luvthepros said:

I don't know.....that looked like a set up to me. Aren't there locks on bathroom doors on a yacht?

Why would she lock the door of a mostly private bathroom when her room mate wasn’t even in the cabin when she entered?

• Love 12
3 hours ago, NYCFree said:

In New York State it is the opposite. Controlled substances must be prescribed electronically. This is to prevent the theft and use of doctors’ prescription pads.

I think Sandy, Malia and production miscalculated big time on this path.

Agreed.  Production is just as accountable as Sandy and Malia.  And not only did they miscalculate how to handle Hanna's infraction of non-disclosure, they miscalculated viewer reaction.  If they had a handle on the latter, they'd have a handle on the former.

Edited by Jextella
  • Love 17
On 8/18/2020 at 11:59 AM, endure said:

It says it is to aid sleep.

I’m not familiar with Australian prescriptions, but to me, that seems like the type of warning you see on all prescription bottles here.  Regardless, the prescription is written to be taken up to three times a day.  Anyone who’s taken low dose Valium, particularly for anxiety or a panic attack, knows 5 mg will not sedate or put you to sleep. 

Also, every time they set Hannah up to look like an addict, we can hear a pill bottle being turned over. A Valium being popped out of the cardboard package does not make that sound. As a frequent ibuprofen user, I recognize the sound, and Hannah has said it was Advil (ibuprofen) that she was taking.  Hannah has also stated she had not taken any Valium on board.  

• Love 11
On Tuesday, August 18, 2020 at 4:30 AM, dleighg said:

Sandy: "The boat would be incarcerated."

Does she know how stupid she sounds? That word does not mean what you think it means.

I believe the word is seized. Or impounded would probably work.

Apparently she doesn't know, but I'm saying this entire episode showed her stupid. I want to see hand cuffs on that yacht and see it read its rights. FFS Sandy, you ridiculous Captain. Prescription medications are not drugs, and you don't need to act like she had a meth lab in her quarters.

I thought at first that the First Mate was embarrassed by the whole thing, but when he said "that's an admission of guilt" I'm thinking no it's not, asshole.

• Love 19

Shipwreck Sandy is still getting eviscerated on Twitter and Insta. I love it.

Sandy doesn’t know the difference between local law, maritime law, company policy, or boat owner rules. She applies the rules (that she can’t keep straight) on her personal whim. She lies about Hannah breaking maritime law but lets Travis and Malia get away with breaking actual maritime law. On top of that, instead of behaving like a professional captain, she acts like a gaslighting abusive boyfriend creating a toxic work environment which could put the boat in danger.

I’d never sail with Sandy, she’s not a safe or competent captain. I’d never trust Malia, a bosun who illegally rifles through things, possibly planting contraband in their luggage, and who is also toxic and unsafe.

Edited by GreyBunny
  • Love 22
2 hours ago, GreyBunny said:

Shipwreck Sandy is still getting eviscerated on Twitter and Insta. I love it.

Sandy doesn’t know the difference between local law, maritime law, company policy, or boat owner rules. She applies the rules (that she can’t keep straight) on her personal whim. She lies about Hannah breaking maritime law but lets Travis and Malia get away with breaking actual maritime law. On top of that, instead of behaving like a professional captain, she acts like a gaslighting abusive boyfriend creating a toxic work environment which could put the boat in danger.

I’d never sail with Sandy, she’s not a safe or competent captain. I’d never trust Malia, a bosun who illegally rifles through things, possibly planting contraband in their luggage, and who is also toxic and unsafe.

I know there is a lot of Sandy hate out there, but I actually don't mind her except for how she handled Kiko and Hannah this season.  I have to give her a little bit of a pass on lack of understanding about drugs vs medican vs the law....I'm not sure anyone on Below Deck really knows.  People who should know have been silent, e.g. Captain Lee and Kate for example.  Joao put forward the same info as Malia I think, and that appears to be questionable.

I also think Sandy is not always a good manager. I think she has a hard time separating "leader" and "friend".  How upset she got with Hannah when Hannah said she didn't believe Sandy cared about her when they parted ways on the dock is a good example.

With regards to the Hannah situation, the order of my frustration is:

1. Malia for being a whiny, know-it-all (in her mind), spoiled brat
  2. Sandy, for swooning over Malia at Hannah's expense and making such a rash decision without discussion or proper research
  3. Hannah for not being the strong leader she could be such that Malia thinks she can tell her what to do.  Could you imagine Malia doing what she did to Kate Chastain?  I don't think Malia would, in a million years, tell Kate to "man up and share a bunk!".  I think Hannah and Sandy are a lot alike in that both have trouble getting respect as leaders. 
Edited by Jextella
  • Love 3
On 8/17/2020 at 9:44 PM, hisbunkie said:

Actually I’m with Sandy on this.  If I were on a cruise and an accident happened and I found out the chief stew was taking Valium (prescription or not) and had drug paraphernalia in their cabin I’d make sure everyone lost their license.

This is all Hannah’s doing.  She says she has a prescription but did not/would not produce it.  She did not say it was not a marijuana, just said she had it from Los Angeles.

Yep

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Yep

Sandy has now stated in more than one interview  that she didn’t fire Hannah because of the Valium, her prescription was on the package, Hannah also had her doctor send Sandy a letter that’ stated it was prescribed within 3 hours of her being fired,  so even Sandy isn’t necessarily*  standing by Hannah had to be fired immediately over a legitimate medication:

*both Sandy and Malia have changed their stories multiple times so she might now be back to her firing her for the medication but the other interviews are still out there and her arguments on her IG comment section are crazy to behold. People might have to find screenshots because she keeps deleting/changing them.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Useful 4
  • Love 10

She did produce the prescription. She handed her the box of Valium.The prescription was on the back of the box. You don't get a prescription filled and they turn around and give you back the written prescription. When you travel you are told to have all prescription meds. in their original paackage. She did. The only problem that I have with Hannah is why she didn't tell dumb Sandy here is my prescription look at the box. If you want to check it out further call the pharmacy. 

• Love 10
On 8/19/2020 at 8:22 AM, Lassus said:

Not entirely sure how that's relevant to this season, which has gone on for awhile.

If you read and quoted my whole post, you’d see that I was referring to Malia’s first season specifically.  

Edited by AttackTurtle
3 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Sandy has now stated in more than one interview  that she didn’t fire Hannah because of the Valium, her prescription was on the package, Hannah also had her doctor send Sandy a letter that’ stated it was prescribed so even Sandy isn’t standing by Hannah had to be fired immediately over a legitimate medication:

I haven't seen those interviews. She certainly said that she was terminating her contract because of having drugs on board during what we saw on the show. She had the first mate looking up something in a manual saying it's grounds for dismissal and failure to produce the prescription was admission of guilt. And of course Malia spouting off about the drugs were grounds for dismissal. She can say what she wants after the fact but she and Bravo put out there that Hannah HAD DRUGS. 

Edited by 65mickey
  • Love 5
4 minutes ago, 65mickey said:

I have with Hannah is why she didn't tell dumb Sandy here is my prescription look at the box.

In several of her interviews which remain consistent unlike Sandy’s, Hannah stated she was confused because she thought Sandy was asking for something more than what was on the box because she wasn’t familiar with how prescriptions work in the US. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 5
1 minute ago, 65mickey said:

had the first mate looking up something in a manual saying it's grounds for dismissible and failure to produce the prescription was admission of guilt.

But she produced a prescription it was on the box. Also, “grounds for dismissal” is what regs say when it’s not an automatic termination. 
He stated that If she had thc that was illegal not her her Valium and despite Sandy saying it was a”pot pen”, it was just a vape pen that could be used for tobacco, thc, essential oils or CBD which is legal and what Hannah stated it was and no one has produced proof it wasn’t. Spain is super hard on bringing in THC but if you declare your CBD on your custom forms you can use it even though you can’t buy it in Spain.

• Love 8

I get this being upset and confused. But I wish that she said to Sandy "what more do you want?"  Sandy should know that the package has all of the information on it to prove that it was for Hannah and it is legit. 

• Love 2
1 minute ago, 65mickey said:

I get this being upset and confused. But I wish that she said to Sandy "what more do you want?"  Sandy should know that the package has all of the information on it to prove that it was for Hannah and it is legit. 

I am pretty sure when Sandy forced her way into the toilet when she was trying to use it Hannah was done. Her reaction gave Sandy nothing which is what made Sandy spiral so it served Hannah well.

• Love 8
On 8/17/2020 at 8:44 PM, hisbunkie said:

Actually I’m with Sandy on this.  If I were on a cruise and an accident happened and I found out the chief stew was taking Valium (prescription or not) and had drug paraphernalia in their cabin I’d make sure everyone lost their license.

This is all Hannah’s doing.  She says she has a prescription but did not/would not produce it.  She did not say it was not a marijuana, just said she had it from Los Angeles.

19 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Yep

19 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Sandy has now stated in more than one interview  that she didn’t fire Hannah because of the Valium, her prescription was on the package, Hannah also had her doctor send Sandy a letter that’ stated it was prescribed within 3 hours of her being fired,  so even Sandy isn’t necessarily*  standing by Hannah had to be fired immediately over a legitimate medication:

*both Sandy and Malia have changed their stories multiple times so she might now be back to her firing her for the medication but the other interviews are still out there and her arguments on her IG comment section are crazy to behold. People might have to find screenshots because she keeps deleting/changing them.

Hannah screwed up by not disclosing the medication - which she fully fessed up to all along.  And perhaps thats grounds for termination but if that's the case, then that is what Sandy should have said ON THE SHOW.  

I actually don't have a problem with Sandy letting Hannah go for non-disclosure, but that was not why Sandy fired her based on what we saw and what she's said in post-show media.

And, Malia is so ridiculous that she keeps pushing maritime law and illicit drugs even after the incident.  The two together can't form a cohesive narrative, and neither of them have said one word about non-disclosure as the reason for Hannah's termination.  

Like BiakBiak says, Sandy's and Malia's stories have changed multiple times.  Hannah's has been consistent - including owning up to not disclosing the medication. 

Edited by Jextella
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, Jextella said:

Could you imagine Malia doing what she did to Kate Chastain?  I don't think Malia would, in a million years, tell Kate to "man up and share a bunk!".  

Yes, if Sandy was captain.  Lee would have shut her antics down long before this point.

Malia talks about all her older brothers.  The baby knows how to throw tantrums to get what she wants.  She knew Sandy was in her pocket.

• Love 14

Also for those in the Sandy had to do what Sandy had to camp, don’t forget that last season she smelled alcohol on Travis’s breathe when HE WAS WORKING, and gave him a “you might not want to be drinking so much, I’ve been there” speech, also during that season when wasted he hit Natasia which she knew about and she defended the decision not to fire him last week on her IG chat because he was only drinking, not using “drugs” like Hannah.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Useful 1
  • Love 15
49 minutes ago, Jextella said:

Hannah screwed up by not disclosing the mediation - which she fully fessed up to all along.  And perhaps thats grounds for termination but if that's they case, then that is what Sandy should have said ON THE SHOW.  

I actually don't have a problem with Sandy letting Hannah go for non-disclosure, but that was not why Sandy fired her based on what we saw on the show and in post-show media.

And, Malia is so ridiculous that she keeps pushing maritime law and illicit drugs even after the incident.  The two together can't even form a cohesive narrative and neither of them have said one word about non-disclosure as the reason for Hannah's termination.  

Like BiakBiak says, Sandy's and Malia's stories have changed multiple times.  Hannah's has been consistent - including owning up to not disclosing the medication. 

It's also interesting because Adrienne did an AMA yesterday. Questions about the disclosure obviously came up. Adrienne discussed that everyone has a medical evaluation by a physician before they step on the boat. You are expected to disclose the medications you're taking. If the physician thinks you're unfit, he or she would say so. This evaluation is communicated with the producers and the captain, which makes sense. I believe some other former cast member recently mentioned the medical evaluation too. So it's entirely possible Sandy had the disclosure, but decided to be hyper-technical because she wanted Hannah gone. Furthermore, it couldn't be discussed openly because it breaks the 4th wall. If true, this makes Sandy and Malia's actions even more egregious and despicable.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Useful 1
  • Love 15

It is possible that doors on the ship can't be locked (for safety reasons)? I do know that the small ship I was on last year didn't have locks on the doors (at least in the guest cabins). I don't recall the bathroom door LOL because it was so tiny that it was not a hang-out place and I didn't think my husband would try to barge in. 

• LOL 3
3 minutes ago, luvthepros said:

Why lock the door? To prevent exactly what did happen to her.

Not to mention they are on a yacht! If she attempted to  flush her legally prescribed medication  it would have been on top of the internal tank! Malia is so far up Sandy’s ass she probably wouldn’t have had an issue retrieving it from the tank that might have shit in it or more than likely she would make Pete do it. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
48 minutes ago, 65mickey said:

I'm freestyling here, but I had the impression that there was a document of some sort that was to be filed with the ship/captain declaring that the medication was on board.  

8 minutes ago, dleighg said:

It is possible that doors on the ship can't be locked

They can be. Both Rocky and Caroline have locked their cabin doors, in Rocky’s case Eddie was  in full asshat mode when he was trying to silence her about their hookup used a knife to break the lock. Kate and Josiah just cranked the tunes until Caroline unlocked her door.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
9 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Not to mention they are on a yacht! If she attempted to  flush her legally prescribed medication  it would have been on top of the internal tank!

I thought of that as well. But I sure wouldn't want to be the low guy on the totem pole who had to go retrieve it!

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Hannah's calm demeanor in the face of Sandy's near-hysterics impressed me, but I also imagine that Hannah may have felt some sense of relief.

So far this season, Hannah's said in multiple talking heads, or commented otherwise that she's felt frustrated, angry, hasn't felt like herself (which Sandy has nastily commented on, too) and had to deal with Lara's existence and Kiko's departure, so this confrontation with Sandy may have come as more of a welcome release than anything. Why argue with Sandy - which would give the latter exactly what she wanted - when Hannah could just remain silent and with a minimum of fuss, get out of a situation causing her extreme stress? 

It's brilliant, honestly.

• Love 14
9 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Not to mention they are on a yacht! If she attempted to  flush her legally prescribed medication  it would have been on top of the internal tank! Malia is so far up Sandy’s ass she probably wouldn’t have had an issue retrieving it from the tank that might have shit in it or more than likely she would make Pete do it. 

Gah!!! You're right! It would have been sitting there in the black water tank. Fuck Sandy!

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
18 minutes ago, HunterHunted said:

because Adrienne did an AMA yesterday. Questions about the disclosure obviously came up. Adrienne discussed that everyone has a medical evaluation by a physician before they step on the boat. You are expected to disclose the medications you're taking

Also Courtney who didn’t disclose what her meds were but they were similar to Hannah’s said her evaluation  doctor said “pfft” and didn’t write them down!

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 7
32 minutes ago, AnnieBananie said:

Why argue with Sandy - which would give the latter exactly what she wanted - when Hannah could just remain silent and with a minimum of fuss, get out of a situation causing her extreme stress? 

It's brilliant, honestly.

Sandy's pathetic flailing the last couple days proves the brilliance of that strategy.

She did the same to Malia, who was visibly itching for a confrontation, with similar results. 

heh heh heh.

Bugs must be happy to be off the radar, for now.

Edited by PaperTree
bad apostrophe
  • Love 8
19 minutes ago, PaperTree said:

Bugs must be happy to be off the radar, for now.

Also, Hannah deserves a lot of credit because last week when everyone was including Bugs in the Sandy/Malia bullshit Hannah defended her and said she didn’t think she knew anything about it and based on her reactions it seems that was accurate.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 18