Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E12: There's No Place Like Home

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, esco1822 said:

Here’s where I’m confused, if Hannah can’t take Valium while on duty and if Hannah is always in duty when a guest is on board, does is she supposed to muscle through a panic attack? Or can she only take the Valium when there are no guests present? While I understand she should have registered the prescription, it feels like had she done so, she would have been screwed if she actually needed it. I don’t love that she lied about having taken the meds but I can cancel that lie out with Sandy/Malia’s lie that Hannah happened to just conveniently leave those things out. I know they showed footage of that stuff on the bed (3 days earlier) but the photo looked like it was taken in the bathroom. I thought I saw a sink. I think the timeline is questionable as is Malia going through Hannah’s bag. Also, does Sandy think packs of meds and vape pens are flushable? She really did not come off well.

I may have missed it but when did Hannah lie about taking meds?

Lordy, I'm so glad I didn't tune in for this.  90 Day Fiancee shows are becoming so much more attractive to me.  I have zero doubt anybody at Bravo cares but the number of their shows in the ash heap for me are approaching those I continue to watch.  I'll continue to read the comment on this board so thank you to those who keep posting!  

I wish Hannah well and it sounds like she was the adult in the room about her being let go.

• Love 9
14 minutes ago, endure said:

I may have missed it but when did Hannah lie about taking meds?

I think some people assumed she was lying when she told Sandy she hadn’t taken any of the Valiums. I know I thought she had because editing sure made it seem that way.

Looking back her knocking back pills was always out of a pill bottle which would be the Advil. I don’t think they ever showed her actually taking a Valium. They totally would have too. She doubled down in an interview that she didn’t take it. According to Hannah, they couldn’t find it during the anxiety attack, so she just took her Advil.  

Edited by Stuffy
  • Love 20
24 minutes ago, endure said:

I wonder who whited out the Drs name ......Bravo, Malia?  This whole thing is so suspicious of faux drama.  Just how much does bravo Hate Sandy and Malia?  

It’s whited out on the image because Hannah posted it and didn’t want to put her doctor on blast to the world. It’s just photo editing.

• Love 12
3 hours ago, TexasGal said:

Chef Tom is making Chef Ben seem super chill, and he hasn’t even been on duty 24 hours.

Interesting that Hannah had tweeted last week the back of the box with the script on it, and pointed out that it was CBD not marijuana but we don’t see her discuss either of those things with Sandy.

Yeah, these guest are pretty gross already.  The one guy cutting a piece of steak off to taste it, with like his pocket knife or something?  EWH.

Plus he has the entire crew helping him.....and no hovering captain 👩‍✈️ Hannah materialized a chocolate cake like it was nothing 🤷‍♀️

• LOL 1
  • Love 9
6 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

It’s whited out on the image because Hannah posted it and didn’t want to put her doctor on blast to the world. It’s just photo editing.

I will have to look for the actual photo that Malia supposedly took ......there’s just too many holes in this story, and they just keep adding up!

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, endure said:

I will have to look for the actual photo that Malia supposedly took ......there’s just too many holes in this story, and they just keep adding up!

The photo Malia took just shows the front of the package. 
Hannah tweeted both photos last week. 

• Love 9
2 hours ago, snarts said:

Here's an interesting twist, while this was being filmed, Sandy was on prescription adderall because she "can't focus.  She didn't stop taking it until after heart attack in February. Gee, i wonder if she followed the rules & declared her "drugs"??

https://www.realitytea.com/2020/02/21/below-deck-mediterranean-star-captain-sandy-yawn-had-a-heart-attack-during-a-soulcycle-class/

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/below-deck-mediterraneans-sandy-yawn-185337919.html

While she talked about it in February of this year, her heart attack was actually two years ago.  

• Love 2
5 hours ago, psychoticstate said:

Damn you, Below Deck Med for making me Team Hannah.

Me too.  This is the first and only time I have been Team Hannah, but I find that I am.  To her credit too, she took it rather well.  She was ready to move on down the road anyway, and tired of the whole yachting JOB.  I would hate to work under Sandy, her whole demeanor bugs me.  Ass kissing has never been my strong suit, and so I doubt we would get along.

• Love 17

I freeze framed it at 4:09 on the downloadable version to read the highlighted (green) text.  It refers to Class A drugs - Heroin, Coke, LSD, Meth, etc, - not Valium.  I believe Valium is considered Class C.

Also, one of the offenses listed is theft or possession of stolen property - like when Malia went through Hannah's purse and removed items.

EDIT: We did get to see that the guest meeting is 2 days ahead of the charter.

EDIT 2: Can anyone find the article confirming Sandy's claim about a ship from the Bahamas being seized over 1 joint?

Edited by Jack Sampson
  • Useful 5
  • Love 13
11 hours ago, howiveaddict said:

Narcotics in the US, or benzos like valium, have to be on paper with the Dr's signature. Not an electronic one.  

Satan Andy is on vacation.  Caught the first minute of last night's episode, where he said that.  He was using one of those roller things on his face when the camera went live.   

In Washington state electronic scripts are preferred currently since the laws changed a few years back. Also benzodiazepines and opiates are no longer allowed for the same patient at the same time. Electronic scripts cannot be forged or altered and go directly from doc to pharmacy.

pain management is not the same as it used to be. People suffer from too many opiates and people suffer from not enough😔

Edited by BlueHawk
Clarification
  • Useful 2
  • Love 8

Sandy: It’s been brought to my attention that these drugs were found in your cabin. Are they yours? <shows cellphone pic)

Jess: Well, yes. I take one every night before I go to bed.

Sandy: Dammit!! Have you learned nothing from the incident with Hannah? According to maritime law, ALL drugs must be logged in the ship’s manifest and kept under lock and key. You come to me when you need one and ask for it. I’m not going to lose my license because some idiot can’t follow orders.

Jess: OK, wait. When I get off at 4am you want me to come and ask for a stupid pill?

Sandy: That’s right! How many times do I have to explain it? I’m going to have to let you go. I just wouldn’t feel safe taking the boat out with you on board.

Jess: But they’re birth control pills!

• LOL 15
  • Love 4
10 hours ago, FlyingEgret said:

Who else expected Sandy to ask Hannah for a hug after she fired her released her from her contract

I was indeed asked for and given a hug by someone who had just fired me once and I was too stunned to respond or say fuck off.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, snarts said:

Here's an interesting twist, while this was being filmed, Sandy was on prescription adderall because she "can't focus.  She didn't stop taking it until after heart attack in February. Gee, i wonder if she followed the rules & declared her "drugs"??

https://www.realitytea.com/2020/02/21/below-deck-mediterranean-star-captain-sandy-yawn-had-a-heart-attack-during-a-soulcycle-class/

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/below-deck-mediterraneans-sandy-yawn-185337919.html

Get Malia, P.I. on the case, stat!  EVERYTHING must be registered with the boat!  Everyone knows that's MARITIME LAW!  (drink!) 

• LOL 7
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, BlueHawk said:

Malia was absolutely clenched and fearful during Hannas departure.  And well she should be. She knew she was in the wrong even as she internally maneuvered about  to justify things to herself. She knows what she really did. And it should be uncomfortable. Hope it hurts, "Sweetie".

Hannah really did handle the exit pretty perfectly.  The only thing she could have done better would have been to respond to Bugsy when she asked about whatever task and Hannah just said she didn't care - let her know she had been asked to leave and she was on her own.  She didn't throw Malia under the bus, even though she must have known she was the one who took the picture.  Malia really did look like she was expecting to get yelled at, I'm glad Hannah didn't give her the satisfaction of acting self righteous to her face. 

• Love 22
4 minutes ago, dleighg said:

I loved how, in the bridge with Sandy, Hannah was just ready to say "OK, whatever," and get up to leave, but Sandy says "let me finish" (my big speech.) So Hannah sits and takes some more, and then just says "I'll go pack" and leaves. Sandy wanted a FIGHT! and didn't get it. So of course Sandy had to follow her out to the dock to try and get her big fight again. And Hannah wasn't going to give her the fight. 

Sandy even followed Hannah to her cabin, and then, barged in on her in her bathroom....supposedly to prevent Hannah from "flushing the evidence".  

I was embarrassed for Hannah when she came out of her bathroom with her shorts unzippered.  And, even then, Sandy wouldn't give Hannah any dignity.

• Love 15

If Cap'n Sandy really wanted to be a good captain, at the post-Hannah meeting she would have stressed the importance of this maritime law, which she did, and asked if anyone else had prescription medicine on board. AND, she would add this same question to her pre-season questionnaire/process for crew. (Maybe this is something she does and we don't see it.)

• Love 7
3 minutes ago, LaLaLaLa said:

If Cap'n Sandy really wanted to be a good captain, at the post-Hannah meeting she would have stressed the importance of this maritime law, which she did, and asked if anyone else had prescription medicine on board. AND, she would add this same question to her pre-season questionnaire/process for crew.

Yup, especially considering Creepy Pete has said he had his own anxiety meds that he dispensed as necessary all season. If you can believe him, anyway. 

• Love 6

He poached the lobster for TWO HOURS? I guess maybe really low heat; otherwise it would be rubber. I'm not sure in that case that it guarantees that it's not undercooked. Raw looks different than cooked; the guests were jerks, but they all seemed to find it undercooked. Of course maybe they are used to wildly overcooked lobster.

• LOL 1
  • Love 10

I have almost always liked Hannah.  Is she perfect, no,  nobody is. I thought malea could have done it differently. I think she could have gone to Hana and said you need to tell the captain or I will. And the captain could have spoken to her.  But the captain hasn't liked hannah  for quite a while... even though she would say she did, she always proved that she didn't.  They need to thank Hannah for all those supplies coming on board, because you know she was the one taking care of that, making sure.

As for the captain she is perfectly named... Yawn indeed.  When I 1st read that, I thought it was a comment by somebody. I don't like the captain at all.   She is no captain Lee.

I never understood why Hannah had to leave her bunk. Why couldn't Malia leave and have someone else switch?  And I don't know why those 2 had to share a bunk anyway.

And regarding the use of any kind of drug with on board, I can understand the problems.  They need to be ready and be able to function. But how many times have we seen them get so dead drunk, that they are not able to function the next day when guests are coming on board. Alcohol is not illegal, but it keeps you from functioning as well.

I hope Hannah is well and congratulations on her having a baby. I don't think I'll be watching the show next season with captain yawn on.  She's boring and a micro manager. And she plays favorites.

Edited by antfitz
  • Love 20
1 hour ago, GirlInFlux said:

Sigh. The whole Hannah firing reeks! First, if Malia was so concerned she would have notified Sandy about the Valium at the same time she told Sandy about Hannah’s panic attack. Period. Second, it’s evident that Sandy planned on firing Hannah regardless, but she needed a “legitimate” reason. That’s why she kept harping on the Valium/anxiety and the “pot pen” without asking Hannah if it were perhaps a nicotine or CBD vape pen. Then she followed Hannah to her room pretending to be concerned that Hannah would flush the pills. Hannah was already being fired and Sandy had photo evidence of the pills. What would flushing have done? Nada. Then she follows Hannah to the dock expecting what? Hannah to beg for her job back? I’m sure the rules allow discretion in these situations so if Sandy wanted to keep Hannah she could have said “Okay. Let’s put the Valium in the medicine cabinet in my quarters. If you need it, I’ll dispense it. Regardless this rule seems like discrimination based on disability (mental illness/perceived mental illness). Like they’re saying you can take any medication while on duty, but the chief stew is literally always on duty.

Bravo knew exactly what they were doing airing Season 2 all day yesterday. It reminded me of how terrible Malia actually is. She really stood there looking clueless while Hannah packed and then had the nerve to tell the deck crew to leave the drama with the interior??? The only real drama was caused by her! She’s at the center of it all. You could see on her face that she realized she messed up bring Tom on to work on the boat with her.

For all Tom’s experience and having worked with Gordon Ramsay he sure did buckle under pressure quickly. Oh no! They want a cake! Oh no! There’s no oyster knife! Oh no! I messed up and there’s shell in the oysters and they didn’t like my poached lobster! Yes, those guests were gross and a little rude, but that’s not uncommon on a boat. Apologize and move along. Bugsy was just relaying the message and trying to help and he snapped on her.

And the captain said this was a chef she was dreaming of. Lol Sandy you got your wish.

• LOL 10
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, BlueHawk said:

Correction: electronic scripts are preferred currently since the laws changed a few years back. Also benzodiazepines and opiates are no longer allowed for the same patient at the same time. Electronic scripts cannot be forged or altered and go directly from doc to pharmacy.

pain management is not the same as it used to be. People suffer from too many opiates and people suffer from not enough😔

In NY state, it was required to have a paper script for benzodiazepines or opiates until the law changed in 2018 (?) and now it is required that they are electronic so that it is centralized and they can see every script you fill to prevent filling multiple scripts from multiple doctors at separate pharmacies. All pharmacies can see when you had your last prescription of scheduled drug filled. 

It is difficult to have a prescription for benzodiazepines and opiates, however, it is not impossible; it is dependent upon your health conditions and sometimes it is appropriate. It is rare and quite difficult though! The physician may come under more close scrutiny and be monitored which is why many doctors won’t do it anymore which is good for preventing overdose for people who misuse substances, yet horrible for people who truly need pain medicine and anti-anxiety medicine in order to improve functioning for disabling illnesses with severe pain. Pain patients are now treated terribly in the US because of the over prescription of OxyContin (different and stronger than Oxycodone- don’t use them interchangeably) in the 90’s/early 2000’s and heroin epidemic. OxyContin is now rarely prescribed except in cancer patients or very severe pain. Oxycodone is still appropriate for managing pain in many cases. However, with new laws it now carries so much liability and monitoring that many doctors are simply not willing to risk their license to treat “pain” anymore (because you can’t objectively measure it) and they just refuse to do it and often refer to pain management which often won’t prescribe an opiate pain medicine if you are not already on one when you are referred to them. It’s a mess. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, psychoticstate said:

Get Malia, P.I. on the case, stat!  EVERYTHING must be registered with the boat!  Everyone knows that's MARITIME LAW!  (drink!) 

I would think I captain taking adderall is not a good idea.

2 hours ago, Mr. Miner said:

Typical Hannah, smoking a cigarette while the guys haul her luggage to the car. I never liked her and I won't miss her or her nauseating accent.

I think you're about the only one that feels that way.

• Love 17
On 8/15/2020 at 7:56 PM, SevenCostanza said:

So is Sandy going to stand in the kitchen and micromanage everything Tom does?  Will she make sure to check in with the guests after every single meal and point out the things that were wrong like she did with Kiko?

No,  Because captain said this was the chef she had been dreaming of. Well now you got him.  Be careful what you wish for. And I helped malea is miserable with Tom in the cabin. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 10
35 minutes ago, The Ringo Kidd said:

Her boyfriend doesn’t know how to handle her oyster. 

And for all the accolades Malia gives herself for her beauty and attractiveness, her bf is NOT hot. But his temper is. 

Sandy is a vicious bitch. I would love to know what other yacht captains think of her since she's always talking about "I have a reputation in the yachting industry".  She never states what that reputation might be. Nonetheless, she's definitely got some serious mental issues. As Katy Perry would say:

"Cause you're hot then you're cold
You're yes then you're no
You're in then you're out
You're up then you're down
You're wrong when it's right
It's black and it's white"

And fuck you Sandy. 

• Love 10
2 hours ago, Mr. Miner said:

Typical Hannah, smoking a cigarette while the guys haul her luggage to the car. I never liked her and I won't miss her or her nauseating accent.

I thought she asked the guys to get her suitcase out of storage in the Laz. While they were doing that she went to have a cigarette and call her boyfriend. After the run in off boat with Sandy, she came back on board and her suitcase was in the dining area. I figured she was going to then go pack. It is hard to tell with the editing. Did the guys pack for her? Didn’t seem like it. They didn’t even seem to know for sure if she had left, quit, fired or even the reason why for certain. Maybe production packed? I could not handle someone else packing for me. I need Valium thinking about it. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 7
5 hours ago, BlueHawk said:

Correction: electronic scripts are preferred currently since the laws changed a few years back. Also benzodiazepines and opiates are no longer allowed for the same patient at the same time. Electronic scripts cannot be forged or altered and go directly from doc to pharmacy.

That also must be state by state, as I have a prescription for both.  

I agree, it is actually awful for people with chronic pain.

40 minutes ago, esco1822 said:

Yup, especially considering Creepy Pete has said he had his own anxiety meds that he dispensed as necessary all season. If you can believe him, anyway. 

Did he say he logged it with the ship?  Or that he just had it on him?

• Love 6
9 minutes ago, heatherchandler said:

That also must be state by state, as I have a prescription for both.  

I agree, it is actually awful for people with chronic pain.

Did he say he logged it with the ship?  Or that he just had it on him?

It is legal to have a prescription for both. It’s just not done very often and some doctors will say that they “can’t.” It is not that they can’t as a function of being a physician, it may be that they personally can’t with their office policy or their own malpractice insurance or they simply won’t. It is not illegal to prescribe a benzodiazepine and opiate to the same patient, yet with all this new state and federal legislation around these 2 drugs being signed constantly, it may require closer monitoring and note taking to cover on their end that it is taken as prescribed. In NY state, because the scripts for scheduled drugs are now required to be electronic, physicians can see if you are on a scheduled drug prescribed by a different doctor and when it was last filled. Although many doctors are no longer willing to treat pain and anxiety, there are still good doctors willing to treat pain and panic disorder/anxiety as appropriate. In today’s climate, it is easier if you have a long standing history of needing both— it would likely be difficult to get new prescriptions for both without a lot of hesitation, push back, etc., yet it can be done when needed and appropriate if prescribed by physician who says it is necessary. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
12 minutes ago, Luckylondon said:

In NY state, it was required to have a paper script for benzodiazepines or opiates until the law changed in 2018 (?) and now it is required that they are electronic so that it is centralized and they can see every script you fill to prevent filling multiple scripts from multiple doctors at separate pharmacies. All pharmacies can see when you had your last prescription of scheduled drug filled. 

It is difficult to have a prescription for benzodiazepines and opiates, however, it is not impossible; it is dependent upon your health conditions and sometimes it is appropriate. It is rare and quite difficult though! The physician may come under more close scrutiny and be monitored which is why many doctors won’t do it anymore which is good for preventing overdose for people who misuse substances, yet horrible for people who truly need pain medicine and anti-anxiety medicine in order to improve functioning for disabling illnesses with severe pain. Pain patients are now treated terribly in the US because of the over prescription of OxyContin (different and stronger than Oxycodone- don’t use them interchangeably) in the 90’s/early 2000’s and heroin epidemic. OxyContin is now rarely prescribed except in cancer patients or very severe pain. Oxycodone is still appropriate for managing pain in many cases. However, with new laws it now carries so much liability and monitoring that many doctors are simply not willing to risk their license to treat “pain” anymore (because you can’t objectively measure it) and they just refuse to do it and often refer to pain management which often won’t prescribe an opiate pain medicine if you are not already on one when you are referred to them. It’s a mess. 

& even if a patient is already on opiates for management of chronic pain the new physician will reduce the dosage to what the DEA says is maximum which is much less effective for many. Currently no consideration is given to differences in tolerance, body size,, ect so that people who were able to have a pretty normal life with controlled discomfort are no longer free of pain .The reason given for no longer prescribing benzodiazepines and opiates together is they both depress breathing so the thinking is the risk of death is increased. Hospitals will treat patients much more liberally and effectively when they're admitted. Opiates as needed awa  the  benzo family. But when patients leave they're back to lower dosages. Also chronic pain patients taking opiates are now supposed to keep  Narcan on hand. Things are indeed a mess...

Since Hannah is Australian I wonder if they have similar situations/ restrictions? She had 50 5mg pills & hereabouts  the allowance is one months supply and the need to return to the doc every month - along w. regular random urinalysis to  make sure the medication is being taken. Also didn't Hannas prescription say to take one 3x a day instead of take one as needed for panic disorder? 

• Love 5
36 minutes ago, BlueHawk said:

& even if a patient is already on opiates for management of chronic pain the new physician will reduce the dosage to what the DEA says is maximum which is much less effective for many. Currently no consideration is given to differences in tolerance, body size,, ect so that people who were able to have a pretty normal life with controlled discomfort are no longer free of pain .The reason given for no longer prescribing benzodiazepines and opiates together is they both depress breathing so the thinking is the risk of death is increased. Hospitals will treat patients much more liberally and effectively when they're admitted. Opiates as needed awa  the  benzo family. But when patients leave they're back to lower dosages. Also chronic pain patients taking opiates are now supposed to keep  Narcan on hand. Things are indeed a mess...

Since Hannah is Australian I wonder if they have similar situations/ restrictions? She had 50 5mg pills & hereabouts  the allowance is one months supply and the need to return to the doc every month - along w. regular random urinalysis to  make sure the medication is being taken. Also didn't Hannas prescription say to take one 3x a day instead of take one as needed for panic disorder? 

Very true about the newer dosage limit restrictions and them not being high enough to be therapeutic to manage pain. It’s horrible. 

I am not Hannah’s doctor and have no idea, however I would speculate that the way around needing to get it filled every 30 days is to prescribe it for up to 3x a day (which could be appropriate at times for Panic Disorder) so that she has a count of 50 and it lasts a long time when she is traveling and only takes as needed. Physicians do this when they know someone, whether it is the exact rules or not. It can help stretch medication longer. They do this less with controlled substances and very rarely with a Schedule II substance in 2020. I’m sure laws are similar, yet differ in ways in Australia and they may not have all these new regulations have about the Narcan, etc. and the substance user agreement and the restriction within 30 days. I don’t know Australian laws. A 50 count of Valium is very difficult to get in the US though. Diazepam (Valium) is difficult to get in the US period. It is rarely used outside of relaxation for medical procedures (with exceptions). Currently, in the US, it is more likely to be prescribed Alprazolam (Xanax) for Panic Disorder, although that is very heavily monitored in recent years too. 

Edited by Luckylondon
  • Love 6