Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E09: Viva, Loss Vegas

• Start Topic

On a crew night out, Alex reveals his feelings to Bugsy while Hannah struggles to connect with the group; Captain Sandy comes down on Jess for her performance in the laundry room; an incident with the water toys forces Malia into an emergency rescue.

Airs July 27, 2020.

6 minutes ago, PaperTree said:

What exactly is the menu for a “Vegas Night”

I mean, that IS hard to figure out.  Vegas pretty much has EVERY kind of food so.... Finger food would make sense if they were playing while eating, but they weren’t.  

• Love 10
(edited)

The guests were expecting at least the same caliber of food from the night before and they were so disappointed to get fried oily crap instead of Michelin star quality food. Kiko may have been a foreigner to Las Vegas, but he’s still a chef and he should’ve sensed that this wouldn’t be a winner.

Edited by aqusdealer
  • Love 12
44 minutes ago, Caseysgirl said:

It’s not over yet but why do I feel this micro managing of Kiko is all a set up to have Malia’s chef boyfriend take over. How convenient  that he happens to be arriving this week.  My poor Kiko! He was my favorite chef of all time.  

Oh! Yes, I bet you’re right. Production shenanigans!

Poor Kiko, he either is a good actor or he was really upset.

• Love 14
(edited)

Nachos.  It's not that hard.

Mom had this amazing recipe.

Brown and drain gound beef, with garlic powder, onion powder and taco seasoning.

Line casserole with tortilla chips.  Layer on beef, sour cream and cheddar.  Repeat until dish is full.  Sometimes there was a refried beans layer.  Cheddar and taco sauce on top.  Bake for half an hour.  It's like a Tex-Mex lasanga.

eta:  forgot the black olives.

Edited by PaperTree
  • Love 11
(edited)

There are two things I will eat and drink no matter how poorly they might be prepared - coffee and nachos. But even I thought those nachos looked inedible. Yikes. Poor Kiko. He seems like a hard worker who wants to do a good job but he just can’t get it quite right. Hannah should be ashamed of herself for offering such poor advice. She’s been doing this a long time and knows better than to let the chef serve a dinner made up of a bunch of greasy finger foods as dinner even if Kiko had no idea what Vegas style meant. The fish and truffle fries may have worked as a lunch offering but not for a sit down dinner. 

Edited by TeeMo
  • Love 17

Kikos lunch should have been the Vegas "dinner" with a few tweaks. Starter: Wedge iceberg salad with green goddess dressing. Middle: French onion soup (small ramiken)with melted cheese on top and toasted sourdough bread slice in the bottom of the bowl. Main: Bacon wrapped filets minions and an in shell 1/2 of lobster thermador. Desert: Baked Alaska. This would have been an OG Vegas meal!

Lunch should have been shrimp cocktails, and light "refreshing" pasta salad (s) to stave off the hunger for dinner and prime the guests stomachs for a heavier dinner fair.

• Love 21

My dad who was an Army and later tavern cook would have made a better meal.  I'm sorry, I like Kiko.  But he isnt cut out for super yacht cooking. Maybe down the road, but he is in over his head.  

I mean, Mila's nachos looked better than Kiko's......that's bad.

Alex is adorkable!  Lurve him!  Take the plunge Bugsy!  Stop getting in your own way because of something that happened when you were 14!

In the end, I believe Bravo makes all the hiring/firing decisions. Captain Sandy, Lee, Glenn, Mark have no real input on tv show yachting.

Because if Captain Sandy had that power on tv yachting, I'm pretty sure she would never have brought back a certain stew, for 4 seasons.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 10
56 minutes ago, PaperTree said:

Nachos.  It's not that hard.

Mom had this amazing recipe.

Brown and drain gound beef, with garlic powder, onion powder and taco seasoning.

Line casserole with tortilla chips.  Layer on beef, sour cream and cheddar.  Repeat until dish is full.  Sometimes there was a refried beans layer.  Cheddar and taco sauce on top.  Bake for half an hour.  It's like a Tex-Mex lasanga.

It is midnight. I’m starving. I want your mom’s nacho lasagna 🤤

• LOL 17
  • Love 3
7 minutes ago, esco1822 said:

All signs point to Sandy getting her “dream team.” I hope it backfires on her.

I can't wait to see Sandy's dream team fail hard.  Or it'll be cut together to make it a success, no matter the reality.  Either way, I wonder if Sandy will be inceptioning doubts in the charter guests' minds about the food and service.

• Love 14
(edited)
51 minutes ago, mbaywife123 said:

Kikos lunch should have been the Vegas "dinner" with a few tweaks. Starter: Wedge iceberg salad with green goddess dressing. Middle: French onion soup (small ramiken)with melted cheese on top and toasted sourdough bread slice in the bottom of the bowl. Main: Bacon wrapped filets minions and an in shell 1/2 of lobster thermador. Desert: Baked Alaska. This would have been an OG Vegas meal!

Lunch should have been shrimp cocktails, and light "refreshing" pasta salad (s) to stave off the hunger for dinner and prime the guests stomachs for a heavier dinner fair.

This dinner would have been perfect. To me, Vegas means decadence. I mean every celebrity chef has a restaurant there and there are some amazing food options.  That crap Kiko served would have been frowned upon by most kids I know.  And the night before didn’t look much better.  Potato gratin is fine...but serve it in individual ramekins, don’t slap it on the plate like Sunday lunch at Grandmas.

I’m sure his food tastes good, but I think Kiko is out of his league, and Sandy isn’t helping him be confident and take any risks.

Edited by CSunshine76
Typo
  • Love 10
(edited)

Kiko is fucking up but Sandy is so fucking annoying. Like go away and drive the boat bitch. What a nice boss to take every chance to trash you to the guests. I’m sick of seeing Sandys stupid face lol.

I like Alex I think he’s hot. Cute when drunk too. Bugsy would be lucky to be with him.

I was kind of liking Malia but not this episode. It’s not Hannah’s fault they served those shit nachos. Bugsy served them and in the end it’s Kikos fault for making shitty nachos.

Edited by Marley
  • Love 21

Wonder how they cast Kiko.

He’s had experience on big yachts and he probably knows how to cook a lot of dishes.

He’s got a chipper personality, fun to be round but not dramatic enough for this show, especially considering his predecessors.

So why set him up to fail with small portions and then making him make dishes he’s not used to cooking?

If Malia and her bf generate some drama, maybe that’s the real reason they get rid of Kiko.

They capture a lot of instances of Hanna muttering about hating the job.  Yet she’s a good sport about appearing on WWHL and doing other appearances to promote the show during the season.

So this narrative that she was ready to quit, going through the motions, making Jess and Kiko look bad because of her indifference doesn’t seem to fit her actions right now.

• Love 20

so it sounds like the producers do pressure the crew to go out and get drunk on off nights. Why else would have Kiko needed to ask Sandy for permission to stay home? Man, I'd stay in and read a book every time I had a chance!

How do they keep everyone's laundry separate? Do they do separate loads? Otherwise everyone should have iron-on labels like my kids did for summer camp!

• Love 15
4 minutes ago, dleighg said:

so it sounds like the producers do pressure the crew to go out and get drunk on off nights. Why else would have Kiko needed to ask Sandy for permission to stay home? Man, I'd stay in and read a book every time I had a chance!

How do they keep everyone's laundry separate? Do they do separate loads? Otherwise everyone should have iron-on labels like my kids did for summer camp!

You and me both!  Most of these off-nights out make me shudder.  I'd be fine with the dinner but have zero interest in clubbing.  Especially when you have a charter starting the next day at noon and these idiots are yelling, screaming and having drunken shenanigans at 3 am.  

I've been to Vegas multiple times and I have zero idea what a Vegas dinner is supposed to be.  Rat Pack-Oceans 11 thing?  Buffet?  It could mean many different things to different people.  Case in point:  Hannah, who thinks nachos and truffle fries screams Vegas.  I know Hannah gives zero fucks and hates the fucking boat (as she does every season) but she should have stepped up and told Sandy that she suggested the food items to Kiko.  Ultimately Kiko is responsible but having never been to Vegas, he trusted someone who had and adjusted his menu accordingly.  And as another poster said, Hannah should have clarified with the guests what a Vegas dinner meant to them and what they were expecting.  After all, they met with her and Kiko on day one to go over the menu and food options so why wasn't that discussed?  

I have somewhat defended Sandy in the past, saying that production likely makes her micromanage but she infuriated me this episode, whether it was all her or production or what.  Stay out of the fucking galley!  Your chef is already under pressure; he doesn't need you breathing down his neck!  Leaving the fucking charter guests alone!  Quit asking them repeatedly how their food is!  If they are paying serious coin for the charter and they aren't happy, they will let someone know.  By polling them every time they put a morsel of food into their mouths, she's encouraging them to find some fault, no matter how small.  She's also sending the message that she doesn't trust her chef.  Honestly, I'd love Capt. Lee's take on Sandy's following the guests around and stalking Kiko.  

My heart broke that Kiko was in tears.  I understand it.  I had a job once like that, where my supervisor was breathing down my neck all the time and telling me if I made one mistake, I was going to be fired.  It's no way to work.  

Bugsy does have beautiful tables.  So far, the tables on this charter have been out of the park.  

Alex is super cute.  Even though I couldn't understand what he was trying to say to Bugsy, it's adorkable that he gets so tongue tied around her.  

So given that Bugsy made the suggestion that the laundry room should have numbers for everyone with a slot for their clothing items . . . it doesn't already?  How do you keep track of what is whose?   Jess definitely should have her job duties down by now but Hannah would be responsible for that.  

I'm not a fan of Hannah's (obviously) but she has the worst attitude.  Why was she bitching about the boat last night?  Because she had to do her job?  And if it's because she's worried about Kiko, then stand up for him!  She's been on charter with Sandy multiple times before (and it's not like Sandy can really fire anybody since they are under contract with Bravo) so why not suggest or tell Sandy that Kiko needs some breathing room?  Again, why doesn't Hannah admit that she suggested the menu to Kiko?  Gah.  

If Kiko leaves, I am going to be disappointed, disgusted and utterly saddened.  

• Love 23
(edited)

what exactly happened with the jet ski? Why were they yelling Stop Stop before it crashed? Was it just because it was going too fast?

And Pete was noticeably absent, but why did they show him at all? It seemed the times they did were completely unnecessary to the story line. Sometimes it was just to show him, alone, putting something away for example.

Edited by dleighg
  • Love 4

I agree that Hannah’s suggestions for the Las Vegas dinner were not good but at the end of the day I think food choices and decisions should be discussed between the chef and the guests. Adding a middleman to the discussion is asking for trouble.

• Love 13
57 minutes ago, snarts said:

In one of the worst examples of poor management ever, Sandy stands in the galley berating Kiko in front of everyone, basically telling him that he's gone after this charter.  You praise in public, criticize in private. Not to mention choosing to do it in the middle of a charter,  What if Kiko said, screw this & walked off?  She's lucky he didn't.

The guest experience should be everyone's #1 priority, especially the Captain.  Yet, she's standing at their table criticizing and swearing (Jesus F'in Christ) over the food.  Guests should be immune and sheltered from the crew drama, not brought into it.  Captain Sandy fancies herself the star of the show and wants to drive all the story lines.  It's ruined it.  I watched some of season one recently and it was so much more enjoyably entertaining.  Bring back Captain Mark.

Malia telling Jess that she's not 100% responsible for laundry & that the issue starts with her boss was way overstepping IMHO.  Stew #3 is always the laundry grunt. How would Malia feel if Hannah told Pete that he's not 100% for anchor watch or whatever and that Malia sucks a leader? Stay in your lane and stop doing Sandy's bidding.

Finally, WTF was Bugsy wearing?  She looked like a 10 year old set loose in Claire's!!

Yes to all this! Her treatment of Kiko was beyond unprofessional and so cruel. I'm surprised he agreed to finish the charter. He's a better person than I, because I would have been on the tender off that boat right then and there. Like chef Leon - who was awful btw. And hovering around the guests every meal gives the impression to them that she has no faith in her chef. But not to worry, because she's  super Sandy , who fixes everything, even if it means demeaning and humiliating her crew in front of the others. Anything for screen time. Right Captain?

No wonder Hannah is over this. I am too!

• Love 24

Kid's birthday party is right. Those guests were amazingly gracious about it. "It still tastes good!" I mean, if they'd been served Big Macs in cardboard boxes I'm sure they would have said the same thing. And be thinking internally "WTF?"

• Love 6