Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E08: Rise and Don't Shine

• Start Topic

After struggling through the first day of charter, Kiko fights to regain his footing with a demanding set of charter guests. While Hannah leans on an overworked Bugsy to carry an injured Jess, Captain Sandy becomes concerned about the interior’s performance. Meanwhile, Malia looks to Rob and Alex to step up after she’s forced to make a tough call that changes the exterior’s dynamic. And a surprise complaint forces Captain Sandy to issue an ultimatum.

Airs July 20, 2020.

• Love 1
(edited)
12 minutes ago, TexasGal said:

Do others find Bugsy’s accent hard to understand like Jess does?  I don’t at all, so I find it weird.

Man, that one guest likes some mushrooms.

I don't, but then, when I worked at the liquor store, anytime an Asian or Mexican restaurant called their order in, the other employees handed me the phone.  I also never have a problem with people on the phone from India.

Maybe when she talks fast over the radio?  It may not be the accent as much as rapid fire information and requests for guests.

Edited by dosodog
  • Love 5

Sandy is making me miss Glenn more every episode. At least Glenn wasn’t afraid to jump in and help where needed unlike micromanager Sandy. All the other guests loved Kiko’s meals, yet you listened to these donkeys. Where was all this energy with Mila?
Bugsy is a perfect nickname for the second stew because she is highly annoying. Jess is “that American” who constantly tells immigrants that she can’t understand what they’re saying. Guess what boo we all have accents, so stop being a brat.

• Love 19

Malia has to be tough with the deckhands.  I like her and hope she will thrive.  Then she loses it with Blood on the deck!  Panic ensues!  She recovers.  Ok  I find Rob very strange.

You don’t want to be Sandy Jr.

• Love 12

Most of these so called guests on all of the boat shows are wanna be bad actors trying to get their SAG cards.

The primary gets the most words on camera and pays the tip to get it for certain.

The rest of the guests try for as many words to get theirs (does anyone out there know how many words they must speak to get the card?)

• Useful 3
  • LOL 5
  • Love 2

I much be listening to too much Watch What Crappens, because after each of Sandy's scenes, I imagine her saying, "now give me a hug".  What was the deal with Jess not doing Capt'n Sandy's laundry?  Kiko's food looks good, but his portions are small and he is slow.  All that sushi made me hungry for some.  I feel bad for him, with those guests complaining though.  I think he would work better if he was not under so much pressure.  

• LOL 6
  • Love 9
(edited)

Captain Sandy strikes again, lurking about constantly asking the guests if they're ok. Way to put them at ease on their vacation!

She's just chomping at the bit to fire anyone, just so she can get some screentime. Love that neither Hannah or Kiko gave her the huge reaction she was looking for.

Now this is an interesting exchange. Holy defensiveness. 

Edited to add that it should be noted that person's question was in response to Bugsy's original tweet complaining about social media comments (while on social media) and while prepping for a WWHL appearance.  She should take her own advice, if you can't take the criticism, don't sign up for reality TV.

Edited by snarts
Additional context
  • Useful 7
  • LOL 2
  • Love 11
(edited)
6 minutes ago, snarts said:

Captain Sandy strikes again, lurking about covatantly asking the guests if they're ok. Way to put them at ease on their vacation!

She's just chomping at the bit to fire anyone, just so she can get some screentime. Love that neither Hannah or Kiko gave her the huge reaction she was looking for.

Now this is an interesting exchange. Holy defensiveness. 

Caught with her pants down and trying hard not to break the Bravo walls of bullshit of (non)  reality.

Edited by mbaywife123
Words missing
  • Love 18
1 hour ago, mbaywife123 said:

Caught with her pants down and trying hard not to break the Bravo walls of bullshit of (non)  reality.

If you saw Watch What Happens you caught Kate with her pants down.

I can never unsee that!

Damn you Andy Cohen! Damn you!

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

Sandy, get out of the Interior!  She is enough to make anyone nervous and upset trying to do their jobs. I love Kiko - he tries so hard to please and is never as annoying as all the other chefs have been.  Alex - is one of the nicest deckhands since Colin. I think that Jess wasn’t very serious about her job before but getting the injury has made her worse. Hannah really hasn’t been here for this season at all. I think she was so happy in her relationship that she was putting in the time & like others have said, it was probably set up for her to do only part of the season.  

• Love 9
1 hour ago, njbchlover said:

I think Sandy is trying to gaslight Hannah.  Showing this faux concern for Hannah..."you're not being you" - what the hell?  From what I've seen, all this tells me is that Hannah has finally learned how to work with Sandy by not taking the bait, sitting quietly while listening to Sandy criticize her.  As you say, Sandy can't stand Hannah, and this is all such b.s., coming from her.  All I see is Hannah being less combative and argumentative with Sandy.

I'm no Hannah apologist, and I do think that Hannah doesn't always do her job with a big, fat smile on her face, but I don't think I've ever really heard too many complaints from the charter guests about Hannah since this show began.  

I think Hanna's departure will be played up as a big deal, her farewell and start of a new stage in her life.

So it wouldn't be surprising if they planned this out a bit and tried to come up with a story, about how she's not as into it.  

Bugsy probably speaks fast and into the walkie talkie which may not be easy to understand.  But Jess getting upset, probably because she felt pressure.

Rob talking about bad energy over and over again when they're trying to get out all the toys.

This time they went around the island to the west coast, beautiful Soller.

Kiko may not have experience planning big meals maybe?  Guests either didn't eat the food or complained about not getting enough food.   But maybe his departure was already also kind of planned, since they happened to have a replacement lined up, who's known to one of the crew.

I don't think any of the BD shows ever had more than 2 departures or replacements during a season, right?  If they're willing to put up replacement cast members in hotels nearby where they're filming, they could make cast being replaced an even bigger part of the season.

Obviously they like having Sandy be the helicopter boss, since they feature her hovering just about every episode, several scenes.  It's perfect too, because they can go into a commercial break with her dressing down the crew or asking guests and not getting positive feedback.

• Love 10
(edited)

Aaauuuugghh !!!! I CANNOT STAND Sandy!! Since Bravo hasn't a clue and Andy lurves  her she will not be going away so this viewer will be.

Last deck crew + disgusting chef on OG BD ruined that show-- but I'll check the new season. If that's a loser again I'm gone from that too.

Too bad so sad y'all are currently in pathetic seas.

Edited by BlueHawk
  • Love 10

Being captain of the ship, you'd think Sandy would be constantly supervising the deck crew not the interior - and especially not the chef.  What's next, is she going to try to manage the film crew?  Is she ever down in the engine room micromanaging the engineer?  Of course not, there's no camera down there.

• LOL 8
  • Love 15
34 minutes ago, BlueHawk said:

Aaauuuugghh !!!! I CANNOT STAND Sandy!! Since Bravo hasn't a clue and Andy lurves  her she will not be going away so this viewer will be.

Andy is the worst judge of character. I'm feeling a bit irrational right now so I'm going to blame him for everything that's wrong with Bravo and the people they hire. You can't tell me his fingerprints aren't all over the culture of that place. It's interesting that they filmed Pete creeping out Bugsy, talking down to Malia and patronising her with his 'sweetheart' crap and needing to get reamed by Sandy twice but they still kept him around until the end of the season. Like they didn't fire Ashton after he raged out on Below Deck even though production was there and had it on film. Misogyny is all good until one of your cast posts a revolting image of a black woman in bondage and doubles down. It was nice barely seeing him this episode, though. And Kiko must be protected at all costs. Back off, Yawn!

• Love 20

Now I know I am very very low maintenance, cosmetics-wise, but what the heck is a LIP MASK? And why would someone want to apply it, particularly on camera and in the presence of other people?

• LOL 7
  • Love 4

so the guests clearly wanted breakfast at 9 so they could play with the toys before they left (the deckhands said (at 10:15) that they *had been* planning to pick up the toys at 11.)  be pissed as a guest to miss a lot of my fun because the stews were totally useless for breakfast. 

• Love 19
10 hours ago, TexasGal said:

Do others find Bugsy’s accent hard to understand like Jess does?  I don’t at all, so I find it weird.

since I always watch with closed captions, I have no trouble at all! But seriously, it doesn't matter WHY Jess doesn't understand her. Bugsy, just SLOW DOWN. Stop arguing about it.

• LOL 1
  • Love 16
7 hours ago, njbchlover said:

I think Sandy is trying to gaslight Hannah.  Showing this faux concern for Hannah..."you're not being you" - what the hell?  

I was once dumped by a guy in this manner - he actually tried to convince me that I wasn’t into it anymore and he was ‘releasing’ me out of the goodness of his own heart.  I found out later he was interested in dating someone else.  I’m sure Sandy is doing the same thing - trying to get rid of Hannah while still desperately wanting to be seen as a ‘nice’ person.

• Useful 5
  • Love 10

I also think Kiko is a sweetheart. But he is used to worker on private yachts, where he can be used to the preferences and schedules of one owner. He doesn’t seem to be quite able to adjust on the fly and react quickly enough to all the various demands of large groups/different every week. He is a talented chef but this isn’t the right atmosphere for him. 
I also want to state that Malia is clearly the most capable  Bosun/crew member I have ever seen on this show! A true respectful leader. Nice to see.

• Love 22
6 hours ago, Jack Sampson said:

Being captain of the ship, you'd think Sandy would be constantly supervising the deck crew not the interior - and especially not the chef.  What's next, is she going to try to manage the film crew?  Is she ever down in the engine room micromanaging the engineer?  Of course not, there's no camera down there.

You'd think that, wouldn't you?  If comparing management styles, I think that Captain Lee is much more aware of and on top of the deck crew than Sandy is.  But again, Malia is one of Sandy's favorites and Hannah isn't, so Sandy isn't going to find much fault with anything that goes on or happens with the deck crew.  

It's interesting that you bring this up, because it's important.  Okay, the food and the service are very, very, very important in the overall charter guest experience, however, if I was on a yacht that crashed into the dock or some other mechanical issue that was due to the deck crew, I'd have more of a problem with that than some plainly decorated tables or an occasional meal that didn't go smoothly.

• Love 16

Sandy annoys me more with each episode.  This time I decided I couldn't stand how she always puts her hands together in prayer position and gestures with them.

Also, her implying that Hannah was showing favoritism (and that this was problematic to her, Sandy, for some reason) by not critiquing Kiko whereas she had no problems doing that with Mila and Anastasia.  Well, first of all, don't say the name Kiko in the same breath as Mila.  He's a sweet good person and a good chef who has some time management problems and some problems with getting too much in his own head.  Mila was a crap person and a terrible chef.  And I don't remember Hannah complaining about Anastasia's food, though I know she wanted her back as stew, which was quite reasonable, because that's what she was.  

It's not really Hannah's job to manage Kiko nor to snitch on him.  But then, I think Sandy likes snitches like Bugsy was in the prior season!

I actually think Hannah and Kiko's mutually supportive relationship is quite nice and pleasant to watch.  

It is actually quite sad to me to see Kiko's normally sunny demeanor in the talking heads change to so sad and down on himself.  I hope he rallies (not necessarily that he continues on the yacht, but that he isn't sad any more).  

And then Sandy fishing for praise about her amazing cruise in the night in the dark back to near port, when the guests were either eating or hanging in the hot tub, not hanging off the gunwales staring in amazement at the scenery...in the dark....

• Love 24

I would love it if when the guests hand in their tip at the end of the charter that they share frustration with Sandy popping up constantly checking on them. It's like the server who constantly interrupts your meal checking on everything. The best servers walk by and are available if you need them. If it is not bad enough for you to make an effort to reach out and comment on an issue, then it probably is nitpicky and not worth it.  

• Love 23
1 hour ago, lgprimes said:

He is a talented chef but this isn’t the right atmosphere for him. 

I would be amazed if *any* chef could deal with these "more tempura vegetables" and other in-the-minute requests (I mean, tempura is a very focus-intensive thing). I guess he probably should just make way more than he thinks is necessary so he doesn't have to deal with these varied requests. 

• Love 14

I’m going to go ahead and blame Andy Cohen for everything. I think he’s bored in this pandemic and is completely gaslighting Jess and Bugs on WWHL. He must hate Hannah because he is shading her so hard both on the show and in the advertising. Makes me wonder why there’s so much hate. Maybe her leaving was more contentious than we think? I honestly just can’t stand Andy in general but I think he’s been so much worse since he’s started filming in the Hamptons. Jess seems dumb as a box of rocks and I think it’s really hamstringing Hannah on this charter. Not doing Sandy’s laundry, not checking the vacuum bag, not being remotely proactive about anything. It’s one thing to be learning but at a certain point, you have to figure out how it all works and do things without direction. If you’re on laundry and not doing it, what exactly are you doing? We have actually seen Hannah in laundry more than usual this episode so I wonder if she’s trying to pickup Jess’s slack or hiding out. 

• Love 16
1 hour ago, dleighg said:

I would be amazed if *any* chef could deal with these "more tempura vegetables" and other in-the-minute requests (I mean, tempura is a very focus-intensive thing). I guess he probably should just make way more than he thinks is necessary so he doesn't have to deal with these varied requests. 

I wonder what the budget is for per meal on that boat, making extra is a good idea in theory but also if they are not able to dock to get more provisions it can be a problem. 

Every cruise has a budget, the cost per person is spec'd out at X, the crew costs, fuel, docking charges, equipment, etc...the yacht owner needs a profit for each charter, does the chef ever know what their budget is for each charter?  

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, heatherchandler said:

They showed Hannah popping pills at least twice, once fully shoving them into her mouth!  Also the valium comment, are they doing this on purpose?

She addressed it on Twitter. Said she was talking Advil for swollen feet.

• Useful 6
  • Love 7
4 minutes ago, esco1822 said:

Jess seems dumb as a box of rocks

I've thought that for weeks now, and I don't think Rob is any smarter. He was acting like a snowflake (much as I hate that word) when Malia was asking him to hurry things up. She was awfully patient, and he was acting like she'd run over his dog. 

• Love 15

Kiko has a slight problem with timing and portion size.  I feel as though his dishes seem composed and elegant.  Most guests seemed to like the taste as well.  I would like to see the current guests served Adam’s lentil soup and family style meals.  

Both Kate and Hannah have resting bitch face.  I think Hannah comes across as hostile to everyone including the guests.  When Hannah says she has been doing this for eight years and she’s had it, I have to roll my eyes.  Really eight years.  Some people work digging ditches for their entire life.  Cry me a river.  

• Love 10
13 minutes ago, Baltimore Betty said:

I wonder what the budget is for per meal on that boat, making extra is a good idea in theory but also if they are not able to dock to get more provisions it can be a problem. 

Every cruise has a budget, the cost per person is spec'd out at X, the crew costs, fuel, docking charges, equipment, etc...the yacht owner needs a profit for each charter, does the chef ever know what their budget is for each charter?  

I think this is true for the high ticket items but the potatoes, veggies and sides are cheap enough. I would serve a pasta and salad with every meal that would fill them up. Then replace the meat with a beefy portabello mushroom as previously noted. This would shit up the vegan as he would be getting pretty much what everyone is getting. 

I think Kiko is about the third best Chef ever across all the franchises.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, dleighg said:

Now I know I am very very low maintenance, cosmetics-wise, but what the heck is a LIP MASK? And why would someone want to apply it, particularly on camera and in the presence of other people?

It reminded me of when, as kids, we would smear glue over our palms, let it dry, and then peel it off.  When I saw her face, I thought, "OMG, what happened to her?  Did she have a disfiguring accident?"  

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, heatherchandler said:

They showed Hannah popping pills at least twice, once fully shoving them into her mouth!  Also the valium comment, are they doing this on purpose?

What?  Showing some things that the crew does and leaving other things on the editing floor?

I believe Hannah referenced taking medication for anxiety in another season.  

Spoiler

Perhaps something happens down the road that makes showing her taking pills, relevant.  Setting the tablescape so to speak......

• Love 4
31 minutes ago, Baltimore Betty said:

I’m confused on how the budgets work. Some guests seem to stick to wine, while others go through scores of vodka, tequila, etc. And then we see the crew generously helping themselves to the spirits on board at the tip meeting, and their days off.  Plus, there are the occasional American guests who prefer the cheap, greasy American-style food.  Surely they don’t all pay the same flat fee.  

• Love 4
30 minutes ago, AryasMum said:

I’m confused on how the budgets work. Some guests seem to stick to wine, while others go through scores of vodka, tequila, etc. And then we see the crew generously helping themselves to the spirits on board at the tip meeting, and their days off.  Plus, there are the occasional American guests who prefer the cheap, greasy American-style food.  Surely they don’t all pay the same flat fee.  

Plus the extra people that the guests invite back to the boat for drinks and or dinner.  There must be a lot of wiggle room in the food and beverage budget or TLC covers the nut when they orchestrate extra people/drunken crew nights/extreme requests.

• Love 3
(edited)

Captain Lee mentioned several times with different chefs that the budget was unlimited when he could not understand why their wasn’t enough. He never accepted that answer. He would say plan better and order more— “you have an unlimited budget!” It seems they do, as they will call in provision orders to try to get anything brought out by boat that a guest wants that they don’t have onboard.

ETA: esco1822 clarifies the process below! There is indeed a provisions budget and a charge for items once that budget is exceeded that is added on to the charter bill. 

Edited by Luckylondon
  • Useful 6
5 hours ago, Jobiska said:

And then Sandy fishing for praise about her amazing cruise in the night in the dark back to near port, when the guests were either eating or hanging in the hot tub, not hanging off the gunwales staring in amazement at the scenery...in the dark....

I have never chartered a yacht or even been on a cruise ship, so I was very surprised to learn that yachting involves chugging out a few miles, dropping anchor, then sitting there.  I somehow thought the boat would be moving most of the time.

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
(edited)
4 hours ago, AryasMum said:

I work for someone who owns a mega yacht and charters it out. For us, there is a charter fee and a separate agreed upon APA fee which basically acts as a debit account for the charter. As items are purchased for/during the charter (food, fuel, etc), it is deducted from the APA. If any money is remaining at the end, it is returned to the charterer. If the APA is exceeded, they are billed the amount due. 

Edited by esco1822
Autocorrect
  • Useful 12
  • Love 5