Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E08: Rise and Don't Shine

• Start Topic

8 minutes ago, esco1822 said:

I work for someone who owns a mega yacht and charters it out. For us, there is a charter fee and a separate agreed upon APA fee which basically acts as a debit account for the charter. As items are purchased for/during the charter (food, fuel, etc), it is deducted from the APA. If any money is remaining at the end, it is returned to the charterer. If the APA is exceeded, they are billed the amount due. 

thanks. That makes total sense. I've always wondered; it seemed that those special orders of tequila (and special meals for "guests") must get paid for by the charter-ers. 

Glad to know those idiots were paying for all the champagne they were spraying around on some earlier episode (or season?)

• LOL 1
  • Love 10

Once again, too much of fame whore Sandy.  If I had to deal with her questioning me every chance she got, I’d tell her to shut the fuck up so I could enjoy the experience. What was the point of the fabulous cruise back to port in the dead of night?  Were the guests supposed to be impressed by that? I doubt they were even aware the boat was moving.

Hannah has no sense of humor. Everything annoys her. Bugs is too full of herself but she’s always smiling and attentive to the guests. That’s a big  improvement from bitch face Hannah. I don’t know what to think about Jess. 

Malia seems to be doing a good job.  She snapped at Rob, who was being a dick, but she spoke to him later, which was the right way to handle the situation.  I’m glad disgusting pig Pete was demoted. He should have been tossed off the yacht.  I’m very surprised he appears to be taking it in stride but I’m sure it won’t last. 

• Love 6
7 minutes ago, nytonc said:

I’m very surprised he appears to be taking it in stride but I’m sure it won’t last. 

my impression is that he is SEETHING and barely keeping it capped.

• Love 4
(edited)

I am loving Bugs this season - would actually like to see her come back as chief stew next season. Hannah clearly isn’t into her job anymore, I am guessing she’s only doing it for the money and fame at this point?

I think Malia is doing pretty well. 

The whole drama with Bugs and her accent...seriously, Jess? 

Edited by Lunula
Spelling
  • Love 9
2 hours ago, Lunula said:

I am loving Bugs this season - would actually like to see her come back as chief stew next season. Hannah clearly isn’t into her job anymore, I am guessing she’s only do it for the money and fame?

I think Malia is doing pretty well. 

The whole drama with Bugs and her accent...seriously, Jess? 

She looked good on WWHL, seemed relaxed, even though she's working on a yacht currently.

She's competent and works hard but doesn't generate as much drama as the other chief stews.

She's not thirsty for guests like Hanna and she's not an aging mean girl like Kate.  If she were to start out as chief stew on a season, she'd have to be bullying the stews working under her.  Probably also carry on with the bosun or the chef for good measure.

Bravo won't have the interior running smoothly with little tension or friction among the stews.

That would be the worst offense, in Bravo's eyes.

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, NannyBails said:

I have never chartered a yacht or even been on a cruise ship, so I was very surprised to learn that yachting involves chugging out a few miles, dropping anchor, then sitting there.  I somehow thought the boat would be moving most of the time.

I looked it up in a past season, the boat literally cruised 12 miles before anchoring.

Regarding provisioning, they got a loud band onboard rather easily, I'm sure Kiko could get any additional food requests.  He just couldn't be bothered.  Sandy's right that he screwed up...but she gave that Russian several charters and the Stew several more before doing anything.  Dude was just putting out "Michelin star" food last charter.  He's off for one and she's talking replacement.  Fuck off Karen.

• LOL 2
  • Love 10
(edited)

I was enjoying Kiko at first but he’s annoying me now. He seems like a baby and it annoys me he can’t figure out vegan food. Like did he even bother to make the vegans dessert? He said something about them getting just ice cream. I would be not happy I’m on a yacht and I can’t get a proper meal.

I am liking Rob less and less every episode too. Another sensitive little baby. He bugs me.

I think Jess is just an idiot and that’s why she can’t understand Bugsy lol. I have no trouble understanding her on tv.

Sandy is so annoying.

Edited by Marley
  • Love 7

If he was a little off for one meal that’s one thing but food-wise the whole charter was a disaster. It’s refreshing to get a chef that isn’t some unhinged psycho dudebro or raging homophobe, but he needs to learn time management. When someone is paying $72,000+ and another $15-20,000 in tips for three days on a luxury yacht and they want breakfast at 9:00, he had better be giving them food at 9:00, and they paid for the right to be picky.

Veganism isn’t his thing, but it’s popular enough that as a chef he should have stored in his memory at least a dozen or two go-to filling gourmet vegan meals that he’s perfected with ingredients that can be easily swapped around. 

Why hasn’t Andy been bundled up and tossed into the drink. He’s such an ass. 

• Love 10
11 hours ago, AryasMum said:

I’m confused on how the budgets work. Some guests seem to stick to wine, while others go through scores of vodka, tequila, etc. And then we see the crew generously helping themselves to the spirits on board at the tip meeting, and their days off.  Plus, there are the occasional American guests who prefer the cheap, greasy American-style food.  Surely they don’t all pay the same flat fee.  

My understanding is the guests pay for everything they use, eat or drink....it’s all an extra, even the fuel to run the boat.  I would really like to verify that though so when I have a few extra minutes would like to look it up.

• Love 2

I think Jess’s problem with Bugsy’s accent is that she isn’t concentrating. I don’t usually have issues with understanding thick accents, but if I’ve been on hold for a bit and my mind has wandered back to something else while I wait, when a live person does pick up and start talking, accent or no, sometimes it takes me a few seconds to refocus on them. 

I sense Jess probably has a more difficult time refocusing, so it takes 3 attempts to understand. 

Not that that is acceptable... she needs to concentrate harder.

• Love 9

Bugsy asked for “six wine glasses” and she couldn’t have said it any clearer.

Jess is kind of a dingbat even before she shut her hand in the door. Who knew Rob was such a delicate flower?

• LOL 1
  • Love 9
23 minutes ago, Mr. Miner said:

Jess is kind of a dingbat even before she shut her hand in the door.

that took a special kind of talent. It didn't look like the sort of door that just slams closed all by itself.

• LOL 6
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, GreyBunny said:

Veganism isn’t his thing, but it’s popular enough that as a chef he should have stored in his memory at least a dozen or two go-to filling gourmet vegan meals that he’s perfected with ingredients that can be easily swapped around. 

I make a killer Gazpacho, it hits all the notes, vegan, gluten free and everyone can be served the same dish, garnish with a carved carrot or tomato, something for they eyes to enjoy.  Come on Kiko, do better.

• Love 6

I wonder if anyone else noticed that at least as of last week, when I first noticed this, Pete is no longer included in the opening credits.

And as another poster already mentioned, at least as of this most recent episode there's a lot less of him (and virtually nothing involving him speaking, anyway).

These are good things!

• Useful 3
  • Love 11
10 hours ago, Marley said:

I was enjoying Kiko at first but he’s annoying me now. He seems like a baby and it annoys me he can’t figure out vegan food. Like did he even bother to make the vegans dessert? He said something about them getting just ice cream. I would be not happy I’m on a yacht and I can’t get a proper meal.

One of my friends, who I do Thanksgiving with every year, had her mother in law in town for it one year.  She is a vegetarian.  We were stressing over what we could make that she could eat.  I had tons of options within half an hour just from googling.  She was from another country and didn't like to eat "American food" so we ultimately didn't try very hard because we knew she was barely going to eat anything we made anyway - and she didn't.  

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, hoosiermommy said:

I think Jess’s problem with Bugsy’s accent is that she isn’t concentrating. I don’t usually have issues with understanding thick accents, but if I’ve been on hold for a bit and my mind has wandered back to something else while I wait, when a live person does pick up and start talking, accent or no, sometimes it takes me a few seconds to refocus on them. 

I sense Jess probably has a more difficult time refocusing, so it takes 3 attempts to understand. 

Not that that is acceptable... she needs to concentrate harder.

The biggest issue I have with the entire, "I can't understand you!" thing is the inherent racism, in this case, with Americans. I work in a huge global company and we were joking the other day on a meeting that we had 8 different countries/languages represented and yet - yet every single person on the call was speaking English and I was the only native English speaker. I never EVER complain that I can't understand people - I just work harder to communicate better since I don't speak French, Polish, Spanish, Russian, etc. and they are already working double-time to speak another language. 

It's kinda the same thing here - this bitching about people not speaking American English and her stupid inability to understand people. In essence, she's trying to make it Bugsy's fault that she sucks at her job. I get that's it's all part of the drama of the show, but if you can't understand another native English speaker because of her accent, then I don't think yachting is the career for you given how geographically diverse those crews normally are. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 23
16 hours ago, dleighg said:

my impression is that he is SEETHING and barely keeping it capped.

Based on what we know of Pete so far, I definitely agree. There's no way he'd just be okay with getting ripped apart by Sandy and demoted by Malia. I have a feeling that this is where the re-editing came in. They probably removed some tense scenes among him and the rest of the deck crew. Also, I'm sure there were a bunch of talking heads of Pete complaining and then telling us again about what a great guy he is.

• Love 4

I didn't really feel that Jess had a problem with Bugsy's accent as much as she did with the speed at which Bugsy spoke.  I have difficulty at times figuring out what people are saying, especially in a relatively noisy environment (perhaps say a laundry room or a kitchen, coupled with the sound of an engine and water?).  There are many times it takes my brain a moment to process what someone has said - kind of like a 5 second delay!

• Love 11
16 hours ago, jmcd44 said:

I tend to look at people's mouths when they talk because it makes it easier to understand (makes it harder with people wearing masks, but mask it or casket so I'll just keep saying "Pardon?"), so maybe that was Jess's issue. I understand Bugsy's accent just fine-her accessorizing not so much.

First "mask it or casket" is brilliant and I immediately shared that with my QuaranTeam.

But I have to comment on Bugys's accessories...what the hell???  Last night it was a giant gold clip of the same variety I use to pin back my hair when I wash my face. It was hideous!  I have no trouble with her accent, but the eleventy different fugly clips she uses to pin back half her head of hair every day confound me.

• LOL 10
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Lunula said:

The biggest issue I have with the entire, "I can't understand you!" thing is the inherent racism, in this case, with Americans. I work in a huge global company and we were joking the other day on a meeting that we had 8 different countries/languages represented and yet - yet every single person on the call was speaking English and I was the only native English speaker. I never EVER complain that I can't understand people - I just work harder to communicate better since I don't speak French, Polish, Spanish, Russian, etc. and they are already working double-time to speak another language. 

It's kinda the same thing here - this bitching about people not speaking American English and her stupid inability to understand people. In essence, she's trying to make it Bugsy's fault that she sucks at her job. I get that's it's all part of the drama of the show, but if you can't understand another native English speaker because of her accent, then I don't think yachting is the career for you given how geographically diverse those crews normally are. 

I with I could like this comment more than just once.  Every time I caught our kids talking smack about a non-native English speaker's language skills, I'd always ask "I'm sorry, how many languages do you speak fluently again...I've forgotten?" (Because parenting goals- and life goals - are best achieved through sarcasm.)  And if I knew the mother tongue of the person speaking, I might follow it up by asking said kid to delight us with all the fluent Polish/French/Italian they know.  

Now, I hear our children use that same sarcasm to make that point with their friends...and it warms my cold, black heart.  Teach them well, my children.  

• LOL 2
  • Love 22
25 minutes ago, AnnMarie17 said:

First "mask it or casket" is brilliant and I immediately shared that with my QuaranTeam.

But I have to comment on Bugys's accessories...what the hell???  Last night it was a giant gold clip of the same variety I use to pin back my hair when I wash my face. It was hideous!  I have no trouble with her accent, but the eleventy different fugly clips she uses to pin back half her head of hair every day confound me.

I'm a longtime Bugsy fan and even I can't get behind the hair clips. 

Maybe its PSTD from RHOBH's Dorit and her overuse of hair accessories also.  Or that JoJo girl.  I substitute teach and the little girls like to wear hair bows bigger than their heads because of some kid named JoJo.  

Hair accessories and the overuse of them, are apparently "fashionable" now.  I would think it would make your head hurt after awhile.  All that tight pulling on your scalp.  No thanks.  

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
58 minutes ago, Jsage said:

Based on what we know of Pete so far, I definitely agree. There's no way he'd just be okay with getting ripped apart by Sandy and demoted by Malia. I have a feeling that this is where the re-editing came in. They probably removed some tense scenes among him and the rest of the deck crew. Also, I'm sure there were a bunch of talking heads of Pete complaining and then telling us again about what a great guy he is.

We can make a lot of assumptions about Pete based on his past behavior. But we haven’t seen anything so it is all speculation as to how he took it. From what we have in fact seen he took it and said he was going to put his head down and be professional. Now that he is being disappeared he should not trigger the sensitivity of the audience. 

• Love 1
22 hours ago, NannyBails said:

I have never chartered a yacht or even been on a cruise ship, so I was very surprised to learn that yachting involves chugging out a few miles, dropping anchor, then sitting there.  I somehow thought the boat would be moving most of the time.

I did 7 days in the Galapagos on a 20 passenger "yacht".  We would tromp around an island all morning, go back for lunch, move to another nearby spot and tromp around for the afternoon, then sail all night to the next island.  Saw the captain maybe 3 times.  Crew was all male.

The food was amazing!  The only extra charge was for the bar and the tip.

Cabins weren't much bigger than these crew bunks.  Each had a bathroom/shower, but you weren't allowed to put any paper in the toilet.

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
5 hours ago, Lunula said:

I don't agree with this, I actually think people have an ear for it, or they don't.  I don't think it has to do with prejudices or intelligence.  I sometimes have trouble with accents, especially if they are speaking quickly.  It is like the ability to pick up music or another language.  I can speak 3 other languages but I struggle to understand when those languages are spoken to me. 

It is a part of the brain that processes what is heard, and interprets it.

• Useful 2
  • Love 16
8 minutes ago, heatherchandler said:

I don't agree with this, I actually think people have an ear for it, or they don't.  I don't think it has to do with prejudices or intelligence. 

I tend to agree with this-- and also, whatever Jess's issue with the accent (is she "racist"? is she "stupid"? Is she "lazy"?), the short term solution is clearly for Bugsy to try to speak more slowly. None of Jess's issue(s) are going to be solved in the next day or two. So unless Bugsy actually enjoys repeating herself, she's going to need to adjust, at least a bit.

• Love 18
On 7/21/2020 at 12:30 AM, The Ringo Kidd said:

If you saw Watch What Happens you caught Kate with her pants down.

I can never unsee that!

Damn you Andy Cohen! Damn you!

About WWHL....the half hour show is automatically being recorded after the Below Deck Show. For some reason, it is titled "Below Deck" something or other, not WWHL. I don't usually watch WWHL but did watch this one. Oh my goodness....Kate was hilarious. Takes guts to do that.

• Love 4

I felt badly for Kiko this charter.  He really struggled with everything.  He does have a problem with timing, and I don't know if it is just inexperience, him feeling overwhelmed, or just friggin' Sandy watching his every move.  If I were him, I would be nervous, too - she's ridiculous.  I also think that having to make all the different meals, including vegan meals for the guests got to him.  I hope he can bounce back!

Yeah feel bad for him though I think he really should have capacity to accommodate any special diet, it seems like he thought heh I worked on a yacht before this is the same thing, and its really much more demanding. His food was outstanding on the other charters or at least up to snuff, so I think he totally shut down when he heard about the vegan/gluten free demand, and add in Sandy's hovering and micromanaging (isn't their a fucking boat to drive?) total undid him. Tone from the top Sandy if Hannah is responsible for the way her team fails so are you. Stop being an undermining little troll.

• Love 8

I think Kiko is a good chef but he seems to have issues with timing among other things.  Like when the primary told him he wanted Ponzu sauce and Kiko said he would look it up for him, that should have been one of the first things he did.  Make the ponzu sauce first and have it ready to serve with the sushi.  He didn't even start making it until they were half way through the sushi and were asking for it.    Also I'm not vegan but even I could think of a few different things he could have served them besides the endless mushrooms and zucchini noodles.   

• Love 7
(edited)
On 7/22/2020 at 12:02 PM, AnnMarie17 said:
On 7/21/2020 at 7:15 PM, jmcd44 said:

First "mask it or casket" is brilliant and I immediately shared that with my QuaranTeam

I can’t take credit for coining it but I do say it to people in a Captain Sandy voice as said by the hosts of Watch What Crappens! 

I also think Jess is very self-centered & not paying attention. I can’t remember but what did she think Bugs said instead of wine glasses?  I said I look at people’s mouths but I am a little hard of hearing (I just share that with people though). I agree that she’s  a dingbat (great call on that poster). 

Edited by jmcd44
  • Love 6
(edited)

From the Bonus Scene* Awww, of course Kiko is a Libra!! 💖 Charming, delicious and lovely to be around sprinkled with some indecisiveness and a poor sense of time! 😂

Edited by Luckylondon
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
On 7/23/2020 at 2:21 PM, SevenCostanza said:

I think Kiko is a good chef but he seems to have issues with timing among other things.  Like when the primary told him he wanted Ponzu sauce and Kiko said he would look it up for him, that should have been one of the first things he did.  Make the ponzu sauce first and have it ready to serve with the sushi.  He didn't even start making it until they were half way through the sushi and were asking for it. 

Omigosh, I thought the same thing! I love Kiko, but I was a bit frustrated with him here. After his mis-steps, the pre-meal briefing with the primary was rather simple. Sushi? Great. Can you make Ponzu? It's a pretty easy recipe, a handful of ingredients: lime juice, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, mirin, brown sugar, red pepper flakes, whisk & let sit to let the flavors marinate. Ideal to prepare ahead of time to suit the primary's request.

I was also frustrated with the dessert. The birthday carrot cake looked beautiful! But, knowing some of the guests could not eat it, perhaps a fruit sorbet, beautifully plated on the side?

Edited by NowVoyager
  • Love 3
On 7/21/2020 at 6:53 AM, dleighg said:

so the guests clearly wanted breakfast at 9 so they could play with the toys before they left (the deckhands said (at 10:15) that they *had been* planning to pick up the toys at 11.)  be pissed as a guest to miss a lot of my fun because the stews were totally useless for breakfast. 

Yeah, the more I watch this show the less I feel the desire to charter a super yacht (probably not in my budget anyway, LOL). If I were spending that much money on a vacation, I'd want to wake up and have breakfast ready to go. No taking orders and waiting.

I really like Kiko, but I'd be annoyed by portion sizes and waiting too. If I'm paying that much for a vacation, I want a lot of food available at all times. 😂 Like have snacks out, have meals already teed up, etc.

• Love 4
On 7/20/2020 at 10:23 PM, mbaywife123 said:

FFS Captian Sandy, go drive the boat, and stop butting into everything and doing Bravos shit stirring bidding to start drama where there is none.

100000% this. Notice none of the other Captains feel the need to shove their face into 17 scenes about food a charter, except Captain Famewhore. I'd love to see Captain Lee worrying if the table scape was cluttered enough. I said it before and I'll say it again, I'd love to see Captain Famewhore look at Kate's handfuls of vase marbles and fake gems. 

• Love 2