Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E02: Can’t Touch This

• Start Topic

Hannah struggles to get her Second Stew in line, and tensions reach a boiling point when Lara refuses to take direction from Hannah. In the galley, Kiko finds himself up against guests that are less than satisfied. Malia deals with a green deck crew and is forced to draw the line with Pete.

Airdate 06.08.2020

So I can’t figure out how much of the Lara/Hannah issue is they literally aren’t understanding each other’s accents, and how much is that they are both bitchy?  Lara was asking Hannah to show her where the water was, and Hannah snipped you won’t get them (paraphrasing), and then Lara walked away.  Crazy.

• Love 7

I suppose it might be because I've been over Hannah since her first season, but I am thoroughly enjoying Lara's insubordination.

And I'm of the opinion they are both bitches and has nothing to do with accents.

• LOL 1
  • Love 13
(edited)

Ok. Looks like we are going to have a contest between Hannah and Lara about who can outbitch who. Lara will probably win as she’s already got Capt Sandy’s ear. Sandy isn’t overly fond of Hannah after her other seasons lack of diligence. 

Edited by Mindthinkr
Stupid autocorrect.
  • Love 5

This is going to be another hard season to watch. Once again, Sandy micromanaging in the galley. I love Kiko but I guess she’s going to be on his ass all season; I’m just glad that she ended up telling him his steak was ok. Lara and Hannah are both bitches!  It should be interesting to see who loses this battle. I like Malia a lot and I think she holds her own but I hope she doesn’t get a lot of disrespect from the deckhands - after last season I couldn’t go through that again.

• Love 12

Lara is totally 100% out of line but once again Hannah shows herself to be a crap manager. If I went to my boss after working with a new staff member for two days and said I would honestly be happier if she quit, she would not be having it at all and would question my ability to be an effective manager. Sandy acknowledged that she could read bad energy from Lara but gave Hannah decent advice to try to resolve it and get things back on track. Lara was completely inappropriate in that sit down meeting at the end of the episode but Hannah running away in a huff to grab Sandy and whispering “you’re disgusting” under her breath was not the way a manager should respond. She should have stopped Lara and said “I think you and I are not communicating and I am going to go ask Sandy if she has some time to sit down with both of this so we can work this out.” Running into the crew mess and saying “I need you, it’s really bad” even after Sandy asked if she could finish her cereal was ridiculous. The boat was not on fire. Hannah just can not handle it when she is challenged in any way and makes it an emergency.

Having said all that, Lara is terrible and Hannah is correct to be frustrated with her. She was insubordinate during the charter and could not provide a concrete example of what Hannah had done to piss her off (asking for an example was the one correct thing Hannah did in that conversation). Unfortunately  for Hannah, Lara seems to have figured out how to push her buttons and seems determined to push them all. 

• Love 20
9 minutes ago, TeeMo said:

I will say that Hannah does seem to be making more of an effort in general this season. The Smirnoff Ice bouquet gift was a clever idea and she actively talked through some table decor. And her save for Kiko was also great. It’s too bad that she finally decided to show some effort on a season when she is stuck with unpleasant and combative 2nd stew who is sure to drive her crazy.

You’re giving her credit for shit she should have been doing for years.

• Love 8

I love Kiko! He reminds me of my Schnoodle that passed away two years ago. So sweet and I love his giggles. Lara could fall overboard as far as I'm concerned. I, of course, hope someone rescues her...

• LOL 6
  • Love 13

I think Malia is doing well so far but does she have to keep calling her crew "boys"?  It probably doesn't bother them to be addressed as such but for some reason, it's really bugging me!

• Love 17

Well, I am really, really disliking Lara.  First, because she's a stonecold bitch, second, because she has a major attitude problem, third, because she thinks she is better than everyone else, but lastly, and most importantly - she is forcing me to be on Hannah's side, and I seriously do not like Hannah much, either.  

I'm seriously waiting for the crew's nights out - I would imagine they will be pretty interesting.

Oh, and Sandy is still a crappy captain, always championing those that kiss her ass, and so far, I am loving Kiko - he just seems so chill, has a good sense of humor and seems to have some skills.  Kind of all the best attributes of Ben and Adrian and the other Canadian chef from BD (I can't remember his name).

• LOL 7
  • Love 17
(edited)
1 hour ago, pieinmyeye said:

I can’t believe how disrespectful Lora is. As much as we don’t like Hannah, Hannah is her boss and Lora needs to start acting like it.

In real life, I whole heartedly agree with you.  However, this is a tv show.  So.  I'm good with this and hope for another episode of Lara not giving zero effs about Hannah.

2 episodes in and Rob is still not an ahole!  Yes!

Edited by dosodog
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5

I absolutely can’t stand Hannah but Lara is such a horrible person, I find hating Hannah Is not quite as entertaining.  I’d like to see how far Lara can push Hannah before she goes right over the edge. I think it’s appropriate payback for the shit job Hannah’s done up till now. It might just be a fun season. Sandy is micro managing and thirsty as fuck for camera time as usual. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 8
49 minutes ago, malibu said:

I think Malia is doing well so far but does she have to keep calling her crew "boys"?  It probably doesn't bother them to be addressed as such but for some reason, it's really bugging me!

She really doesn't like being called "Sweetheart," so maybe she needs to examine her own ways.

• Useful 4
  • Love 7

Lara triggered flashbacks to a coworker I once had. Our company was having massive financial problems and a lot of people were laid off. But then we had to hire back for certain positions and the pay was really bad.  They hired this woman to be the receptionist.  I am not anything like Hannah, but she was very much like Lara. 

Everything was like pulling teeth, and when I gave explicit directions, she would ignore me, not do the task, or be very snippy. She would just NOT do things.  It was absolutely maddening. I was losing my mind. It got to the point where I just decided to not ask her to do anything and I did all the tasks I needed myself. 

Then one day, I walked in the front door and no one was sitting at the front desk. I log into my email and it says "effective today, receptionist is no longer employed at X company" and I was the happiest person in the world.

• LOL 4
  • Love 13
2 hours ago, spunky said:

Kiko seems sweet and is a talented chef. However he needs to work on his time management skills. T

A friend worked in Brazil for about 4 years.  Told me that Brazilians have zero concept of time.  Everybody is relaxed and nothing happens on time because there is always manana.  Totally alien to US culture.  I see that in Kiko.

• Useful 7
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, dosodog said:

In real life, I whole heartedly agree with you.  However, this is a tv show.  So.  I'm good with this and hope for another episode of Lara not giving zero effs about Hannah.

2 episodes in and Rob is still not an ahole!  Yes!

1 hour ago, nytonc said:

I absolutely can’t stand Hannah but Lara is such a horrible person, I find hating Hannah Is not quite as entertaining.  I’d like to see how far Lara can push Hannah before she goes right over the edge. I think it’s appropriate payback for the shit job Hannah’s done up till now. It might just be a fun season. Sandy is micro managing and thirsty as fuck for camera time as usual. 

She is definitely insubordinate but that's not unusual for the BD shows.  Plenty of cast members have basically thumbed their nose at their immediate superiors, setting up a situation where the captain has to intervene at some point, even though it's the producers who make casting decisions.

They probably cast for that and encourage cast members to stand up for themselves and so on.

Because them butting heads or as creeper Pete calls it a cat fight, is someone's idea of good TV.

Producers may try to keep antagonists on as long as possible.

Malia is going to have her authority challenged by Pete because they want to feature her in scenes and especially scenes where she has to confront him or any other male deckhand who questions her fitness to lead the deck crew.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Let's hand it to the producers!!! They have outdone themselves with Lara's casting and another crew of sleazy men who tell disgusting jokes in front of their female boss. Having been a supervisor of a large number of both men and women, I cannot imagine anyone telling me they would not do something I asked, nor anyone calling me "sweetheart".  Granted, I am much older than this crew, but have things changed so much that this behavior is acceptable?? And "GET OFF MY LAWN!"

• LOL 9
  • Love 14
(edited)

This season is Hanna's swan song to yachting so I imagine the show runners gave her a doozy. Certainly Lana fits that scenario. Each scene with Lana made my stomach clench-- fists and jaw too ! If this is the reaction to the initial episodes I might not make it through the whole season🙄

Sandy has always bugged. To me she somehow just doesn't "fit" in the role of  Captain. Too eager to please and be seen. The palsey - walsey stuff just seems off for that position of authority.

Love Kiko! 💘 Only things I find concerning are the lackadaisical pacing of meals ( paying guests should never be sitting at an empty table ,hungry,  for 45+minutes) Also compared to the really lavish breakfast spreads we witnessed Adam provide consistently on BDSY these poor folks got sparse and boring !! The pancakes and eggs were definitely COLD sitting on plain platters on the also unadorned table. Adam may have personal (mental/emotiona) issues but he was awake and baking every morning -- croissants, muffins, piles of bacon & fluffy eggs, gorgeous platters of mixed fruits, espresso drinks ect. Each and every morning.  He said it right "if the chef gets the food right the guests are guaranteed to be happy" which reflects on the tip.. Personally, I'd be WAY disappointed if I was on that huge gorgeous yacht &  breakfast looked like what (admittedly dear)  Kiko put forth. 😞

I was prepared to see some criticisms around the tardiness of meals and less-than stellar breakfast upon departure and a stingy tip. However, these guys were  easygoing and generous so good for them.👏👏😁

Gonna keep watching for awhile at least to see what improves and to watch Lara being fired...😊

Edited by BlueHawk
  • Love 10

Lara reminds me of Mila the chef from last season. They both are impossible to work with and they're just terrible people in general. Hopefully, Lara will get booted after a few episodes like Mila did.

• Love 17

Lara needs to go. She is rude, doesn't take directions well, nd I won't watch this show anymore as I can't take her rudeness and insubordination. The deck guys need to becareful how they joke around the boson. The boson needs to let them know that she is offended with their joke.  Speak up!

• Love 3

9 hours ago, TeeMo said:

Lara is totally 100% out of line but once again Hannah shows herself to be a crap manager. If I went to my boss after working with a new staff member for two days and said I would honestly be happier if she quit, she would not be having it at all and would question my ability to be an effective manager. 

I disagree, if a worker is endangering the the quality of guest experience and Lara's insubordination definitely was, it's Hannah's role to tell the Captain.  It should have been quite telling that Hannah offered to work a short-handed.  She knows Sandy, she wants to be involved in everything, she's a classic micro-manager.  So although we saw Hannah telling Sandy about her issues with Lara, she obviously chose not to believe her or sided with Lara.  Listen to her backtrack now, even before it actually aired  Snippet from pre-season interview

"Wow," Sandy says of that interaction. "I was like, holy crap. I had no idea it was practically a fist fight in the galley. I didn't know that. Hannah doesn't tell me these things. I think if Hannah would come to me more often, I could help her navigate this."

"I always say to my crew, if you can't work it out downstairs and you bring it to me, someone usually gets fired. Who do you think I would've fired in that case?" she adds, saying she would’ve "immediately terminated" Lara had she known the truth about her behavior.

If Sandy was half the supportive manager/leader she thought we was, she would've quickly determined that the issue was Lara.  Ask the Chef his opinion, ask the third stew.  Heck, ask the deck crew who had to overhear everything.  Instead, because Hannah is far from her favorite, she sided with Lara and I can only guess how that works out for her.  So much for ensuring the best quest experience possible.

• Useful 2
  • Love 20
6 hours ago, PaperTree said:

A friend worked in Brazil for about 4 years.  Told me that Brazilians have zero concept of time.  Everybody is relaxed and nothing happens on time because there is always manana.  Totally alien to US culture.  I see that in Kiko.

I'm from the West indies and nothing happens on time for us Caribbean people either.  We have saying, "Anytime is West Indian time". However I've had to adjust now that I live in the States.  Poor Kiko will eventually adjust. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, spunky said:

I'm from the West indies and nothing happens on time for us Caribbean people either.  We have saying, "Anytime is West Indian time". However I've had to adjust now that I live in the States.  Poor Kiko will eventually adjust. 

I know 🙂 I've been to St. Kitts many times and that's just the way it is.  Always a happy adjustment.

(Bob Marley playing in my head. Don't worry, about a thing.......)

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, PaperTree said:

I know 🙂 I've been to St. Kitts many times and that's just the way it is.  Always a happy adjustment.

(Bob Marley playing in my head. Don't worry, about a thing.......)

Kiko needs to be told that his lunch is needed at 11 am so that he'll be ready for 1pm. Poor sweet soul.

• LOL 5
  • Love 5
14 minutes ago, spunky said:

Kiko needs to be told that his lunch is needed at 11 am so that he'll be ready for 1pm. Poor sweet soul.

I was going to say the same!  My ex husband was perpetually late, and I eventually would tell him we needed to leave a half hour or forty-five minutes before we actually needed to.  I am a super on time person.  It gave me so much stress to always be late. 

• Love 8
1 minute ago, TexasGal said:

I was going to say the same!  My ex husband was perpetually late, and I eventually would tell him we needed to leave a half hour or forty-five minutes before we actually needed to.  I am a super on time person.  It gave me so much stress to always be late. 

For my grad school graduation,  I had to tell my Godmother that we had to be at the venue for 12pm , when we really needed to be there for 2pm. Some people have no concept of time. I would love to work with someone like Kiko,  who is so laid back and has a great sense of humor. 

• Love 3
12 hours ago, whydoievencare said:

Lara is acting like she's the chief stew and she's telling Hannah to shape up.  I would have trouble restraining myself from decking her.  Hannah actually isn't the problem here.

The previous episode made it seem like Hannah was the problem, now its pretty clear who is being impossibly difficult and ridiculous.  This has to be scripted,  no way would someone in a subordinate position act that way.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 7
5 minutes ago, jrzy said:

The previous episode made it seem like Hannah was the problem, now its pretty clear who is being impossibly difficult and ridiculous.  This has to be scripted,  no way would someone in a subordinate position act that way. 

Lara was pushing every button there was to push. I'm not a violent person but ....

She kind of reminded me of the worst times with my teenage daughter LOL (who's now 27 and just fine...)

• LOL 7
  • Love 4