Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E21: The Assanti Brothers

• Start Topic

If Steve Sr. thought getting weight-loss surgery for both of his sons would help bring them together, the 3rd year of their weight-loss journey will prove him wrong, as Justin returns to Rhode Island with every intention of never speaking to Steven.

TLC promises this is the final chapter of the Assanti brothers saga.  Please let it be so.  

• LOL 3
  • Love 6

It wasn't as bad as the earlier episodes, if only because there wasn't any screaming insanity (other than in flashbacks) from Steven. (Plenty of insanity, of course, because they're all insane, just not the yelling and screaming he did in past episodes.)

• Love 5

Dr. Now must of had Vicks stuffed up his nose to film with that stank piece of shit.

No wonder there is a sanitizer shortage, they bought 10,000 gallons after Steven left.

I still wouldn't step foot in that place. Those walls they wedge themselves thru are probably 3 layers thick with bacteria from people who never wash.

And that poor taxi cab driver.   Geesh!

• LOL 1
  • Love 7

No idea what Rhode Island's policies are regarding Covid-19 but just had a thought that it should be rather easy to socially distance inside of Justin's business since I can't recall it being exactly packed with customers. I wonder if Hobby Lobby is considered "essential?"😒

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, Leilani said:

Here's a recent photo of Justin from his IG.

Where-is-Justin-McSwain-now-2.jpg

Hi @Leilani. Actually that's the "other" Justin, cutie pie "Ginger" Justin McSwain. A really sweet guy and a true success story.

Edited by DC Gal in VA
Additional comments.
  • LOL 1
  • Love 13
7 hours ago, DC Gal in VA said:

Hi @Leilani. Actually that's the "other" Justin, cutie pie "Ginger" Justin McSwain. A really sweet guy and a true success story.

We need more of those stories.

• Useful 1
  • Love 11

Steven lives with a woman who is threatening divorce, is estranged from his family, is addicted to drugs, is again super morbidly obese, his ticket to fame has washed his hands (and likely everything else), and he’s over 40 so no longer cute or funny in his failings. What’s left? Why go on? Nobody cares about him. This is what he created.

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
(edited)
10 minutes ago, Burning Rubber said:

My DVDR didn't record this episode. Will it play again? Was it a repeat?

It was technically new but there was a lot of recapping of the first three installments.

According to TV Guide it will rerun next Wednesday (June 3) at 6 pm (Eastern). You might be able to watch it on the TLC website.

Edited by ams1001
  • Useful 2

This 'final chapter' was cobbled together from leftover footage from the WATN filmed over two years ago, the one they showed last May, when Justin told Dr Now about the drug theft by the father and Steven.       

I hope Justin is doing well, and stayed away from his father.      The father is just as bad as Steven, and for whatever reason, will never stop enabling Steven, and demanding Justin should subject himself to his brother's abuse.   I'm hoping Justin will never go back to the house, because even though (according to a posting Justin made) the father signed over half of the house to Justin, if Steven comes back to RI, Daddy is going to move him back in.  

The fact Steven told Dr. Now that the father still sends him pizzas whenever he wants them, told me the dynamics of their relationship will never change.     

I hope Justin will embrace the program, and get healthy, and stay away from his father, and Steven.   

• Love 19
(edited)

I'm not sure the point of this episode. Perhaps TLC thought we needed more close up shots of Steven's rotting tree-trunk legs or drugged out, sociopathic glares. I'm not sure, but good bye to yesterday's trash. God help the woman who actually married this pustulant lump of flesh. She must have no sense of smell. I mean, I could smell him through the screen. It didn't appear his hygiene improved after marriage either.

Justin, good luck. I'm not sure how his hobby business would be doing nowadays but good lord that guy has a lot of therapeutic unpacking to do & should be getting long term counselling. . I hope he can get far away from Daddy enabler and psycho Steven. There is no chance of Justin developing healthy habits or relationships with those two around him.  

Edited by Barbara Please
  • Love 14

I could hardly watch the footage of Steven with his monstrous legs and feet, and his personality is even worse. What a thoroughly revolting person. 

And then some woman married him and moved him in with her daughter??!! Unbeleivable. And his mention of having sex, ugh, that made me queasy.

I'm now intensely curious about what kind of woman would marry him and live with him. I know there are all kinds of wierd relationships with women seeking out convicts and such, and I know some people can just overlook physicial issues when the person is otherwise a nice human being. But that's not Steven. 

• Love 7

WTF? I have become a Covidiot.  To think that I actually watched that.  2 hours of my  life I will never get back...

I just want to know what Steven has on Dr Now or production that he keeps appearing on our screens. Must be juicy.

• LOL 2
  • Love 8

I really do wish the best for Justin.  So many poundticipants talk about the toxic environment they grew up in and its impact on both their mental and physical health.  Here we saw it in action.  Steven is a highly dangerous person.  I absolutely believe he repeatedly abused Justin, and dad put it down to "boys will be boys".  Hey Dad Assanti, your eldest son is an abusive asshole.  It is your job to protect your younger son from him.  It is not to try to push them together, especially when it looks like you are mainly pushing this to stay on a reality show. 

Justin seems like a decent person who had a terrible childhood and has a family that is trying to keep him within their extreme dysfunction. A friend's psychologist once told her "sometimes people deserve to be alone".  Steven deserves to be alone and Justin deserves a happy life.

As for the woman who married Steven, I think she is a Captain Save-A-Ho.  She thought she could help him.  But junkies gonna junkie* and assholes gonna asshole. He looked better earlier in their marriage although stills stoned. By the end he was back to old, stinky Steven.  He is irredeemable. Normally I would feel sorry for someone with his issues.  In his case I do not because he is intelligent enough to know what he is doing and chooses to treat others horribly. 

*unless they really want to change, which he does not.

• Love 16
1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

This is Justin's store's facebook post from late April...

he might not be doing that badly even with all this. People who are into hobbies and collecting are willing to spend. And with people stuck at home, they are looking for things to do. I have friends who are doing huge numbers of puzzles etc....

• Love 5
18 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

I have friends who are doing huge numbers of puzzles etc....

My company carries puzzles and the stores were selling out.

(Hopefully they don't just let the system auto-replenish them based on sales criteria when this all dies down or they're gonna be inundated with stock that won't sell later.)

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, jacksgirl said:

Didn't get a chance to get on live chat but may go back and look. I want to find the page where everyone comments on Dr. Now telling Stephen people were puking at his smell. 

There's actually an update that shows that historic moment.    Search "steven and justin assanti now" or something like that. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Schnickelfritz said:

I just want to know what Steven has on Dr Now or production that he keeps appearing on our screens. Must be juicy.

yeah, I wonder about that, too.  I think he must also  have something on his father that his father in Rhode Island would order pizza for him when he is in Iowa and Houston.

4 hours ago, Barbara Please said:

I'm not sure the point of this episode.

There seems to be a theme this season about patients who quit and came back.  They all seem to quit again except surprisingly Pauline seems to have done much better on the WATN than on her other episodes.

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

There's actually an update that shows that historic moment.    Search "steven and justin assanti now" or something like that. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

As for the woman who married Steven, I think she is a Captain Save-A-Ho.  She thought she could help him.  But junkies gonna junkie* and assholes gonna asshole. He looked better earlier in their marriage although stills stoned. By the end he was back to old, stinky Steven.  He is irredeemable. Normally I would feel sorry for someone with his issues.  In his case I do not because he is intelligent enough to know what he is doing and chooses to treat others horribly. 

So true.  I know someone who is on husband #3.  The first one was a drug addict, and I think the second one turned out to be one, too.  Her mom said that she thinks she can fix these guys.  #3 seems to be a good guy.

I thought Steven seemed less angry in this episode, but still playing his games.  Justin is smart enough to know that he needs to cut that out of his life, and I hope he can.

• Love 4

I hate the Justin felt he couldn't go to Houston at all as long as Steven was there. I wish he could have just put his foot down with Dad and insisted on seeing Dr. Now separately. There was no reason for Steven (or Dad, really) to be at his doctor's appointments.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, JunebugTx said:

So true.  I know someone who is on husband #3.  The first one was a drug addict, and I think the second one turned out to be one, too.  Her mom said that she thinks she can fix these guys.  #3 seems to be a good guy.

I thought Steven seemed less angry in this episode, but still playing his games.  Justin is smart enough to know that he needs to cut that out of his life, and I hope he can.

He also seemed to talk clearer about being manipulative. He knows he is a jerk and is admitting it. I think deep down, he is resigned to his fate and if this marriage couldn't help him (he seemed so gung ho to start a new life--- and gross---- sex), no one will.

• Love 2

This may not be a popular opinion, but after listening to Justin (ad nauseum) just keep repeating the same several phrases concerning how: Stephen was a bully, Stephen ruined his life, Stephen was in Houston, so therefore Justin had to leave, (Houston is a pretty large city, I'm pretty sure he could have stayed there and never ran into Stephen --especially since Stephen rarely leaves his room), It seems to me that Justin uses Stephen as his excuse to not do whatever he does not want to do. (Such as staying in Houston to do the program.) Even when they were half a country apart for who knows how long, Justin just kept coming back to the same old monologue. I understand that childhood trauma does not just go away, even when you are Justin's age. But there are ways to learn how to deal with it and not have it control the rest of your life.  I listened to him rehash the same things for 2 hours and couldn't stand it, how could Dad have listened to it Justin's whole adult life and not do something to help this manchild seek counseling so that he can become independent. Probably the same way he is killing his other morbidly obese son by supplying pizza every day.This father is the poison in this dysfunctional family. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 4
(edited)

I agree that the poison in this family is the father.   

However, Justin doesn't drive, and seems totally dependent on the father, and the father dragged Steven along any time he could.    The father actually picked up Steven, and got Steven an appointment so the brothers would be at Dr. Now's the same time.    The father is so sick, with his drug stealing for Steven, and sending large (I almost said huge, oops!) amounts of pizza to Steven in Iowa.    As long as the father's alive he'll enable Steven, and do whatever he can to get Justin to associate with his brother.      

I really wonder what Steven's hold is on the father?   I guess I'll never know.  Or the father is one of those people that excuses anything a relative does, and thinks it should be ignored.  

My guess why that woman married Steven is that she wanted the publicity, and then found out the fame wasn't worth it having to put up with Steven in real life, in his drug addled, stinking, disturbed self.  

I wish the producers would have blipped Steven's discussion of S-e-x.    I wasn't ready for that, and I'm just glad I wasn't eating when he said it. 

It's good that Justin moved out, because you know the second Steven gets the boot from the wife, that daddy will drive out and get him, or ship him back another way.   He'll be right back in the father's house again. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I agree that the poison in this family is the father.   

However, Justin doesn't drive, and seems totally dependent on the father, and the father dragged Steven along any time he could.    The father actually picked up Steven, and got Steven an appointment so the brothers would be at Dr. Now's the same time.    The father is so sick, with his drug stealing for Steven, and sending large (I almost said huge, oops!) amounts of pizza to Steven in Iowa.    As long as the father's alive he'll enable Steven, and do whatever he can to get Justin to associate with his brother.      

I really wonder what Steven's hold is on the father?   I guess I'll never know.  Or the father is one of those people that excuses anything a relative does, and thinks it should be ignored.  

My guess why that woman married Steven is that she wanted the publicity, and then found out the fame wasn't worth it having to put up with Steven in real life, in his drug addled, stinking, disturbed self.  

I wish the producers would have blipped Steven's discussion of S-e-x.    I wasn't ready for that, and I'm just glad I wasn't eating when he said it. 

I agree in general with your post. I'm not sure if Stephen has a hold on his father. as much as I think this father revels in the fact that these two are dependent on him both emotionally and financially. I find it hard to believe that Justin makes enough off of his hobby shop to support himself without help from someone. I don't think I ever recall Stephen having any kind of job, don't know if he receives disability, but probably. This gives dad control and the sick ability to keep trying to manipulate them, like continually trying to force Justin into forgiving his brother. With that being said, I think it's evident that Stephen has taken what he has learned from Dad and has spent years being a master manipulator, himself. Just think that now, things are starting to fall apart for him, and I bet it won't belong before he moves back home.

• Love 6
17 hours ago, lilysmom said:

This may not be a popular opinion, but after listening to Justin (ad nauseum) just keep repeating the same several phrases concerning how: Stephen was a bully, Stephen ruined his life, Stephen was in Houston, so therefore Justin had to leave, (Houston is a pretty large city, I'm pretty sure he could have stayed there and never ran into Stephen --especially since Stephen rarely leaves his room), It seems to me that Justin uses Stephen as his excuse to not do whatever he does not want to do. (Such as staying in Houston to do the program.) Even when they were half a country apart for who knows how long, Justin just kept coming back to the same old monologue. I understand that childhood trauma does not just go away, even when you are Justin's age. But there are ways to learn how to deal with it and not have it control the rest of your life.  I listened to him rehash the same things for 2 hours and couldn't stand it, how could Dad have listened to it Justin's whole adult life and not do something to help this manchild seek counseling so that he can become independent. Probably the same way he is killing his other morbidly obese son by supplying pizza every day.This father is the poison in this dysfunctional family. 

I think, as others have said, the father is as much to blame for all the dysfunction as the neglectful mother or Stephen for the emotional abuse of all of them. Dad seems to want to have these kids dependent on him for some sick reason. I never went to my grown kids' doctor appointments, allowed them to boss me around, or drove them all over God's green earth. While I realize that their size prohibits them from a lot of normal activity, I still think that Dad hovers and micromanages way too much. And his tolerance is extremely low. He's constantly having mini-blowups over trivial stuff. So I can see how Stephen modeled his behavior from his father and Justin just learned to clam up.

Not much has changed for Stephen (big surprise!)- he's still manipulating, lying and thinking he's really convincing others that he is growing and changing. His conversation with Dr.  Now was pretty much full of nothing. Vague answers, followed by "yeah, something like that..." And he reads his lines well but are we really supposed to believe that he's "making progress," that going grocery shopping (with Dad, using a scooter that he can't figure out how to use) is a big step in "becoming independent"? And all the while he is only using his "newfound independence" (which, I might add, does not ordinarily include marrying someone who declared profound love over skype and is now your primary caregiver) as another way to poke and jab at his family. "They can't move on but look at how well I'm doing!" he gloats.  It's all a load of crap and I have to give Dr. Now a lot of credit for listening to him go on and on, knowing that he's a lost cause. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

What's going to happen when the father dies?

Even if the father's house in Cranston is paid for (and it may not be), if either Steven or Justin plan to live in it there will be property taxes and insurance to pay. Will either one of them be able to afford those expenses, along with general maintenance and repairs? I doubt it.

So, they'll probably have to sell the house. After whatever debts the father has outstanding are paid out of the proceeds (including the father's burial expenses), I'll bet there will be darn little left to divide between Steven and Justin. They'll blow through it quickly.

Then what? 

Neither one of them have supported themselves completely. They've both relied on their father to cover expenses of one kind or another.

Do they think their father is going to be around forever?

They sure do act like it.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
(edited)

From a posting Justin made at least a year ago, the father, and Justin's names are on the house title.    The house is paid off.  However, I'm sure if Steven wants to move back, the father will not only let him move in, but help him get back from Iowa.    I hope Justin stays moved out, and makes his own life, because the father will always screw him over in favor of Steven.     

My guess is that when the father dies, that Steven will get everything, including the father's half of the house.  My guess is a sale will be necessary to settle the estate.      One last chance for Dad to show who he cares about.    I don't think the father will ever give up trying to force a relationship between Steven and Justin. 

(Justin had a posting on Reddit a year or two ago,  and he said that Steven Sr had the two boys with the mother, but they never married.  Then when they were kids, the boys were living with the mother, and she would leave them home alone to go partying.   I'm sure someone on here remembers more about this than I do).   Justin totally  cut ties with his mother years ago.    Justin also said they never filmed a part III, so I suspect they filmed 2 & 3 at the same time, and used old clips to fill it out.   Notice at the end, Dr. Now said he hadn't heard from either brother for 18 months to 2 years?    I think the followup and this one were all filmed at the same time.   

I can't believe the father talking to Dr. Now about how well Steven is doing, and claiming he's off pain pills.    He believes everything his idiot son tells him.     Last picture I saw of Steven with what's her name, he was huge, so I'm sure he's eaten through his surgery.  Of course that's thanks to dad sending him pizzas any time he wants them.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
On 5/28/2020 at 8:50 AM, PrincessPurrsALot said:

Steven is a highly dangerous person.  I absolutely believe he repeatedly abused Justin, and dad put it down to "boys will be boys". 

I keep wondering if the intense aversion Justin has for Steven may stem from sexual abuse as well as physical and emotional abuse experienced by him growing up.  Steven is such a psychopath that whole textbooks could be written about his various mental abnormalities.  Obviously, Justin was an easy target for Steven to act out his most powerful perversions (EECHHH).

They say the "mother" left the home.  My interest is in who this woman was?  How did Sr. meet her and what was HER genetic footprint?  Education? Background? Medical? Mental?

To give birth to 2 children and then be unable/unwilling to care for them is bad enough; however, for Sr. to have married a woman with easily identifiable mental/emotional/physical issues (if that as the case) and have 2 children with her is even worse.  This family is a textbook case of dysfunctional; however, my hackles really went up at the thought of Steven's new "wife" subjecting her 13 y.o. daughter to such a disgusting pervert.  That really is child abuse!!

• Love 7
3 minutes ago, pdlinda said:

I keep wondering if the intense aversion Justin has for Steven may stem from sexual abuse as well as physical and emotional abuse experienced by him growing up. 

They re-showed the clip last night when Justin talked about how Steven hit him "and grabbed him" every day.  That - IMHO - infers unwanted sexual touching.  Steven responded back with, "Oh, EVERY day, Justin?"  I don't think he was even denying what he did.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
(edited)
On 5/27/2020 at 9:51 PM, DC Gal in VA said:

Sorry quarantine has made me brain dead, 

Edited by Leilani
  • LOL 1
(edited)
17 hours ago, Leilani said:

Sorry quarantine has made me brain dead, 

Tee hee @Leilani no need to be sorry. I too find that when I try to use my ever greying brain cells lately I'm not exactly firing on all cylinders either!😁

I'll try to remember to post when his episode is being rebroadcast. Unlike this season, his story is an uplifting one and he really came across as a sweet, decent guy.

Why TLC decided to show episode after episode of gross, hateful, ungrateful, uncooperative losers this season, especially the truly pointless and infuriating WATNs like Steven Assanti, I don't know. Oh well, maybe I do since it must be ratings gold for TLC. They really don't even try to hide their absolute disdain for the super morbidly obese do they?

Edited by DC Gal in VA
Additional comments.
  • Love 3
On 5/28/2020 at 5:52 PM, lilysmom said:

I agree, Justin keeps using Steven as an excuse so he doesn’t want to change.

• Love 3

1. After Steven left and got married, Justin said, "Steven keeps in touch with my father and his mother..." I've been watching this train wreck since the beginning, but I can't remember what the mother situation is. Do they have different mothers? And is she/are they in the picture at all?

2. Is Justin the only one we've never had to see naked/in the shower and who never showed excess skin? Thank you Justin, for putting your foot down, because I'm sure TLC did their best to take you there.

3. I get such a strong vibe that Steven sexually abused Justin. His aversion is beyond normal sibling fighting. He is downright afraid of him, even as an adult. And really, I can't imagine growing up with Steven and being at his mercy. I think some pretty dark stuff went down between them.

4. I'm about to watch Justin get his weight checked. My prediction: he has lost ZERO weight. Here we go ... on the scale ... watching the scale think ... 432 - he's lost 172 lb since surgery!!! I take it back. Good job Justin.

5. Steven completely undid the surgery. Shocking.

6. And finally - where is the corgi puppy??? The minute I saw that the father bought Justin a pup to "cheer him up," I was like - DON'T FUCKING DO THAT! Poor little dog. And then we never see it again. Or the original family dog, for that matter. And that poor cat that was sentenced to exist with Steven. Crap, do what you want with yourselves you losers, but leave the animals out of it.

• Love 8
10 hours ago, Teri313 said:

1. After Steven left and got married, Justin said, "Steven keeps in touch with my father and his mother..." I've been watching this train wreck since the beginning, but I can't remember what the mother situation is. Do they have different mothers? And is she/are they in the picture at all?

3. I get such a strong vibe that Steven sexually abused Justin. His aversion is beyond normal sibling fighting. He is downright afraid of him, even as an adult. And really, I can't imagine growing up with Steven and being at his mercy. I think some pretty dark stuff went down between them.

1. When the female birth vessel was so abusive or failed miserably in her duties (as in to protect her children), some of us do not refer to her as our mother.  When Justin said that, I got the feeling that he was of the same school of thought as I am.  It made total sense to me when he said, "Steven keeps in touch with my father and his mother..." even though he and Steven may have had the same female birth vessel (FBV).

3. This is conjecture:  I also believe that Steven sexually and physically abused Justin, and the FBV may have known about it.  I think the father may have as well, but they tolerate him because he pays for everything.  I get the feeling that the FBV (between drug runs) may have said, "Well, what do you want me to do about it?" while the father would yell (pointlessly) at Steven to tell him to leave Justin alone.  It was the closest Justin came to having someone care about him.

• Love 1
On 5/30/2020 at 10:26 PM, Teri313 said:

2. Is Justin the only one we've never had to see naked/in the shower and who never showed excess skin? Thank you Justin, for putting your foot down, because I'm sure TLC did their best to take you there.

4. I'm about to watch Justin get his weight checked. My prediction: he has lost ZERO weight. Here we go ... on the scale ... watching the scale think ... 432 - he's lost 172 lb since surgery!!! I take it back. Good job Justin.

5. Steven completely undid the surgery. Shocking.

6. And finally - where is the corgi puppy??? The minute I saw that the father bought Justin a pup to "cheer him up," I was like - DON'T FUCKING DO THAT! Poor little dog. And then we never see it again. Or the original family dog, for that matter. And that poor cat that was sentenced to exist with Steven. Crap, do what you want with yourselves you losers, but leave the animals out of it.

I did hear Justin say that. 

And Justin didn't need to do the nude shower scene, we had enough nudity from his brother to cover the two of them. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

The final phone call to Dr. Now was pathetic.   As Dr. Now said, Steven is back to almost the size he started at, his leg Lymphedema looked much worse, and that's saying a lot when he looked like he had moss growing on his leg.  I just wonder what happened to Steven's cat Cupcake?  

• Love 2
10 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I just wonder what happened to Steven's cat Cupcake? 

Hmmm, a cat named Cupcake. Where did it go? No brain, don't go there.

• LOL 8
(edited)

Steven: Justin is so immature. I am the grown man, I am the responsible one who moved out on my own and doesn't live with my dad anymore. I am the success story. (all while the camera is zooming in on his fat rolls and nasty rotting legs)

Dude, you live on disability and literally do nothing all day. This guy lives on another planet, mentally. 

Edited by Hannah94
  • Love 3