Type keyword(s) to search

S18.E12: The Height of Avant Garde Fashion

• Start Topic

11 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Nancy's black and gold look was very dramatic and sculptural. I liked the graceful curves that she created.

I love Nancy's efforts. As for this look - I totally agree with you - very stunning in its sculptural look. I wanted to slap Nina and she dismissed it because it was the same as her "sheer look" outfit. Put the two outfits side by side and they are NOT the same. What is wrong with Nina?

• Love 19
17 hours ago, Nordly Beaumont said:

Nancy: I just put my first seam in.
Geoffrey: Heh heh... Semen!

And then explaining to Thinjin about the necessity for lube when he has sex.

17 hours ago, njbchlover said:

As much as I like Geoffrey, I haven't been overly crazy about a lot of his designs.  Plus, I think is just soooo emotional, he's going to have a nervous breakdown at some point during the next few months.  I fear for his emotional health sometimes. 

I'll admit that I've never liked him, but episode after episode of watching him smoke makes me feel really sorry for his models.  You know he smells like an ash tray, and he's up close and breathing all over them when fitting.  The only thing worse would be if he tries to cover it up with Binaca.

He looks very unhealthy.

15 hours ago, Cerulean said:

And everyone knows cold water is what gets out blood!

Yes they do, and especially someone who works with needles and scissors and fabric.  I can't believe someone (Sergio?) said saliva.  Was that attempted sabotage??

• Love 5
20 hours ago, AwesomO4000 said:

Edited to add: And I know the judges liked the color of Brittany's, but I thought it was hideous (at least on my TV).

yeah!  when I saw that color and the strange bulkiness it just looked ugly to me

glad she bit the dust

20 hours ago, Ellaria Sand said:

Love Geoffrey but not his latex panty. It looked like half of an outfit.

yes! I can't believe they let that go without a comment at least on how bad it made her belly look

love him, but hated this whole outfit

• Love 7

This happened: My favorites won-Sergio, Victoria, and Nancy. Sergio absolutely cracks me up with his never ending calmly delivered statements about how he’s better than everyone at everything. I love to watch him. He’s hilarious. 

Victoria entertains me also. I adored her complaints about nobody being booted last week. Because, it’s a competition.  If one of last week’s winners had been booted this week because there were two boots, I would have been so grumpy.

I just like Nancy as a person a lot. 

Most disliked aspect this week: Nina complaining to Sergio about an Asian look. Hideous! Derivative! Looking Asian! We must have, instead, that very rare thing, a Caucasian looking model. No one’s ever done that before. Boo on Asian looks. All Asian looks come from whoever that designer was. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Yes they do, and especially someone who works with needles and scissors and fabric.  I can't believe someone (Sergio?) said saliva.  Was that attempted sabotage??

Actually, I had a person who worked in a fabric store tell us during a presentation that YOUR saliva will get out your blood.  He also said spider webs - but he did admit that those may be hard to find.  They really should just keep hydrogen peroxide on hand because that absolutely works on blood stains.

• Useful 4
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Andyourlittledog2 said:

Sergio was referencing Japanese Samurai female warriors (whose name I forget).

Onna-bugeisha.

And they wore a style of makeup and hairdo of the time.

It's crazy to criticise him for that makeup, and make out he's ripping off Galliano or McQueen - all without mentioning he ripped off Vivienne Westwood in the early challenges!

I love Sergio. He seems like a kind and gentle soul who was maybe fed the idea of attaching political statements to his work, and encouraged to go big in his talking heads re his own marvellousness, by some sneaky producer. I really would be surprised if his collection was not the best of the four. He's only 36, very keen, very talented, aware of the history of fashion, and seems quite teachable, and I think would benefit greatly from the win.

But i would also not be surprised if Nancy, say, won - given PR loves a first - a la Ashley Tipton.

Geoffrey is adorable, but always looks on the verge of having an aneurysm. And it seems only Meana and I enjoy Victoria's designs.

I think anyone could win, at this point - though it does look as if Geoffrey has had some sort of design collapse caused by too open parameters and too much time; Victoria, I am also worried about; and Nancy's, as seen in the preview, looks like vomited up seaweed.

• Love 11
21 hours ago, mightysparrow said:

I don't know why it was 'inevitable' that Marquise wouldn't make it in

For me Marquise was so incredible at times, but not reliable. I definitely wanted to see what he could do with money and time.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, carrps said:

Heh, she always looks like a little kid talking to the grown-ups when she leans over to give her opinions. She really seems pretty shallow.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again-Karlie is such a terrible “speaker”. Nothing is natural. She over-exaggerates with her head movements, she can’t keep her head still. She should just look at who she’s talking to without tilting, cocking her head sideways, over enunciating.

And her hand gestures! Karlie cannot say one thing without jabbing her hands towards someone or something, waving up and down like she’s a model from the Price is Right. Actually, Vanna White. 

Despite their own faults, the judges know how to sit there without jerky movements and they can look directly at the designers and speak to them normally. Karlie should take note. 

• Love 8
4 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

But...Brittany was the one who sat there and sympathetically listened to Nancy rabbiting on. Brittany has not done anything to sabotage or bring Nancy down. She doesn't like Nancy's work (and doesn't enjoy her personally) so she talked about it to her friends and had a laugh. That is NOT honorable behavior, but it is NOT mean girl either. Brittany didn't trick Nancy, lie to Nancy, steal Nancy's boyfriend (or fabric).  

Talking about someone behind their back is NOT mean girl behavior. It's just snarky gossiping. I mean, dislike her all you want for being saying mean things about Nancy behind her back while being nice to Nancy's face. I can get on board with "two-faced" as a reason to dislike Brittany, but honestly I don't care about that unless it's combined with a deliberate act to impede Nancy's advancement in the show.

They all talk about each other. I mean, we wouldn't have the hilarity of One Way Monkey if the designers didn't (and weren't encouraged to by production) to talk about each other negatively.

Apparently being mean to Nancy or simply not liking her, is the crime of the century.  So what if Brittany and Delvin were sitting around snarking about Nancy?  They didn't know she was there.  And they had to live with the woman so they probably have more reason for casual bitchery than people sitting at home rooting for the poster girl for middle-aged women.  Brittany DID tolerate Nancy's self-indulgent (and selfish) monologue while all the people who are nice TO HER FACE, ran to bed while snickering at Brittany for getting caught.  I think Brittany felt sorry for Nancy and didn't want to hurt her feelings which isn't mean at all.

I didn't hate Brittany either.  She was just a typical 'artsy' girl to me.  I think 'uncooked' is a good word to describe Brittany.  Most of the time she seemed so 'raw'.  I liked her 'avant garde' look because I loved the colour.  I agree with whoever though she should have made the butterflies much bigger.  There's no point in being discrete in an 'avant garde' challenge.  Nancy had that massive tumour on her dress and did very well with it.

Edited to add:  Nina did NOT say that nobody could do an Asian theme because Galliano and McQueen had done it.  And she didn't say that there was anything wrong with doing an Asian theme.  What she DID say was that Sergio's look was a close enough reference to both McQueen and Galliano to border on theft.   She then went on to remind Sergio that his blatant reference to another designer's work, while DENYING that he had even seen the work in question, was something he had done before.  I think she was absolutely right. 

Sergio's work is often called 'vintage' which is a charitable way of saying that everything he does reminds people of something another designer has done in the past.  He is an excellent pattern maker and seamstress and makes his clothes look gorgeous.  But his design work is UNORIGINAL, to be charitable.

Edited by mightysparrow
  • Love 14
22 hours ago, Thumper said:

Not sure I was listening, but did Brittany say her stuff was better than the others?  Did I mis-hear?

I thought I heard that also.  Even if true, which it is not, it is a bitch comment to make.

1 minute ago, oceanview said:

I thought I heard that also.  Even if true, which it is not, it is a bitch comment to make.

I read about two pages of comments before watching the show, so I was watching for this. And she said something like everybody who's 'in' deserved to be, but she deserved it more? It was kind of confusing. She was trying, I think, to not insult the others, but still say she thought she should be in the finals.

• Love 2
20 hours ago, mightysparrow said:

The judges were babbling about latex as if the 80s never happened.  I was there and since I spent a lot of time in clubs, I wore my share of latex.  I liked Geoffrey's jacket but the latex knickers were just plain silly.  He's in thanks to past designs and the fact that the judges seem to love him.  And he definitely brings the drama.

I’m highly allergic to latex, so I loved the top of Geoffrey’s outfit but the though of having latex across that much of my body - yikes. Although the bottom is mostly missing, the part that did exist gave me the hebbie jebbies (that would be the worst place...)

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
21 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I quickly Google'd Alexander McQueen and all of these references popped up immediately, so I thought I should contribute to show what Nina is talking about.  I love when they point out these references and I always want to defend them. When Nina says to Sergio "Now, you know fashion history" she's wrong about that.  He just straight up does not, and does not care, and that's something I don't like.  I don't like when people say "You haven't seen this before" when it's just not true.  There's nothing wrong with showing respect to the masters of your craft and there's nothing wrong with showing deference to your influences.  

58-COUTURE-NickKnight_1024x1024@2x.jpg

6a969d40-20f8-11e8-b079-e65f92ed111a_image_hires_132904.jpg

fd9d76a3c63ae4608b130150b670de89.jpg

alexander-mcqueen-paris-ready-to-wear-autumn-winter-model-wearing-purple-satin-quilted-coat-very-high-folded-over-neck-black-X1B0AE.jpg

Alexander-McQueen-gallery-017.jpg

McQ.1653a–e_mcq.1653.AV1.jpeg

Thanks for doing the homework so I could see these beautiful garments.     

• Love 13
1 hour ago, DaphneCat said:

Actually, I had a person who worked in a fabric store tell us during a presentation that YOUR saliva will get out your blood.  He also said spider webs - but he did admit that those may be hard to find.  They really should just keep hydrogen peroxide on hand because that absolutely works on blood stains.

A phlebotomist told me she and her co-workers use cold water on their lab coats when they get blood on them.  I prefer hydrogen peroxide, myself.  Love watching that bubbling action.

As for saliva, I'm going to have to wait for America's Test Kitchen or Consumer Reports to weigh in on that one.  I think it might be akin to urinating on jellyfish stings.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, pasdetrois said:

Weirdly, and in retrospect, I don't think any of the PR contestants are true designers, with the exception of Geoffrey and Dayoung.

I think Sergio is a great tailor with a conservative, elegant viewpoint. He makes beautiful dresses for rich women. But so do tens of thousands of other designers. (Note: many rich women don't give a fig for liberal political posturing.)

Victoria has an extremely narrow, sexy viewpoint marketed toward young women. And she can sew. But I feel her aesthetic is very limited. And not notable.

Nancy kept pushing out huge garments and the same trousers all season, so again a narrow focus that's probably not marketable.

Despite his nervous disposition and lack of confidence, with time and a mentorship Geoffrey may have the most capacity for growth. He could be the dark horse.

Having said the above, I feel PR is still nothing more than a gimmicky entertainment show. Remember the first season? It was fabulous and a true designer competition.

I've been watching Netflix's design show and I feel the designers are much more talented.

I suspect Heidi's and Tim's new show will be a mess.

I just started watching  Netflix design show and the talent is so much better, but they are also more experienced in their careers I believe.    I wish they would show longer looks at their runways and drop all the frantic camera moves.  I am exhausted at the end of an episode.

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, oceanview said:

I just started watching  Netflix design show and the talent is so much better, but they are also more experienced in their careers I believe.    I wish they would show longer looks at their runways and drop all the frantic camera moves.  I am exhausted at the end of an episode.

The designers in the Netflix show have access to professional seamstresses/sewers. They design the garment, but have professional help in actually making it. That makes a huge difference in the end result.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
9 hours ago, dleighg said:

STRAP attached to an earring made me shudder.

Seriously, only three things in reality would happen here:

1. Earring gets caught in clothes and you can’t it it out,

2. There is a baby nearby who wants to yank it and make it worse, or

3. you have at least one cat, one of which is a kitten....

None of these options end pleasantly.

• LOL 1
  • Love 9
12 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

The designers in the Netflix show have access to professional seamstresses/sewers. They design the garment, but have professional help in actually making it. That makes a huge difference in the end result.

I thought that was only in the final episode? (I binged it, it was great!)

• Love 7
9 hours ago, sempervivum said:

I amazed to hear that Sergio was voted Most Likely to Succeed in high school. I wouldn't have been surprised to hear that he got beaten up on the regular.

How many were in that high school, how many graduated and how many went into politics.... many questions have I

• Love 1
1 minute ago, violet and green said:

I thought that was only in the final episode? (I binged it, it was great!)

I saw the disclaimer in the credits of the third episode or so and thought, “Oh that makes sense.” The clothes we’re just so well made and beautifully tailored. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
21 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

When Nina says to Sergio "Now, you know fashion history" she's wrong about that.  He just straight up does not, and does not care, and that's something I don't like.

Well, he does know fashion - he may not be a walking encyclopedia of who's shown what at which latest show, but he knows fashion. He can create a Dior New Look shape, a fifties sundress, a classic nipped-waist full skirt, a Westwood knockoff, a Scarlet O'Hara Westwood hybrid! He knows the classics well.

I'd say he's probably more au fait with the Golden Years of Hollywood era, in terms of fashion history, but he knows his stuff. And he can cut, and he can sew. Which is more than can be said of many of this year's designers...

• Love 8
1 hour ago, hookedontv said:

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again-Karlie is such a terrible “speaker”. Nothing is natural. She over-exaggerates with her head movements, she can’t keep her head still. She should just look at who she’s talking to without tilting, cocking her head sideways, over enunciating.

I want to take your class in public speaking. Seriously.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, oceanview said:

Thanks for doing the homework so I could see these beautiful garments.     

I've been paying attention to fashion since I was a kid!  McQueen is a big deal in my family 🙂

2 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

They also get way more time per challenge, and instead of the show deliberately driving the designers crazy by sending them to Mood (How many times on PR has a designer misplaced their fabric, or in the case of Anna, their actual Mood money) they have the fabric stocked IN THE WORKROOM.  The designers on Next in Fashion are set up for success.  Not for failure/drama like on PR.

• Love 12

Nina going on about Galiano when the first reference for Sergio’s look to me was Padme in Phantom Menace. In 1999, before that collection, by the dates onscreen. So maybe Sergio is a Star Wars fan. 

I have no idea what Brandon meant by Land Before Time, though. 

Put me in the camp of walking those stairs was scary and cruel to the models. I also thought while it was a great show, you couldn’t see the clothes well.

I’m glad Brittany went home but I wish she’d taken Victoria with her. 

Thanks, My DVR, for cutting off the previews!

• Love 8
1 minute ago, ML89 said:

Nina going on about Galiano when the first reference for Sergio’s look to me was Padme in Phantom Menace. In 1999, before that collection, by the dates onscreen. So maybe Sergio is a Star Wars fan. 

my thought also!

• Love 4
9 hours ago, Miss Scarlet said:

Maybe I missed it before but I had no idea Elaine was such a Nancy fan.

I had the same thought.  It was only last week that Elaine was pushing for Victoria to be the winner over Nancy for the olympics challenge.  Now, “she’s my girl”, really?

• Love 2
22 hours ago, Darian said:

but I worried that the clip of Sergio saying his insecurity is why he's so insufferable (my word, not his) is redemptive editing pointing to his win. Then again, he did say his whole high school voted him most likely to succeed, which is an insufferable way of saying he was voted likeliest to succeed. Most people would just say, "I was voted likeliest to succeed." Sergio had to pump that up a bit.

I don't like Sergio, mostly because he keeps talking, so I hate to defend him, but the title high school seniors generally vote on (as I know it) is "Most Likely to Succeed," not "Likeliest to Succeed." So I don't think he was pumping it up, except that once you've left high school, no one cares what you were voted.

• Love 9
30 minutes ago, auntlada said:

I don't like Sergio, mostly because he keeps talking, so I hate to defend him, but the title high school seniors generally vote on (as I know it) is "Most Likely to Succeed," not "Likeliest to Succeed." So I don't think he was pumping it up, except that once you've left high school, no one cares what you were voted.

Not what I meant. The language of the title isn't what I was talking about, though I wasn't concerned with getting it right. Another poster upthread explained it, but it's because he didn't say he was voted the likeliest to succeed (I paraphrase), which is what most people would say, but said his whole high school voted him likeliest to succeed. It's the addition of "whole high school" that's overblown and very typically Sergio, who is very impressed with himself. 

But I'm ok with other people liking or defending Sergio. I won't, but you can. 

• Love 5

I'm afraid I watch the whole show now with a jaundiced eye.  Is Sergio really that obnoxious or did he decide before hand to have a gimmick to stand out and thus be kept longer.  Same with Brittany....making snarky, albeit, funny comments would be entertaining and keep her around.  We all know about the disclaimer that contestants are chosen along with production....and having watch Unreal....I never trust anything that's said.  I just watch the show as entertainment, and decide which clothing I like the best.

• Love 4
14 hours ago, DaphneCat said:

Geoffrey's saliva might clean out his blood stains, but it would also cause nicotine stains on the fabric.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 14
  • Love 2
18 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

When Brittany starting talking about her butterfly idea, I thought, but you’ve already done that! 

Her butterfly motif designs always make me think of Effie Trinket. The costume designer for The Hunger Games wanted us to think, “The f- - -?” but, in my opinion, it was actually quite lovely (as long as they were not supposed to be real, dead butterflies). Of course, and understandably, Brittany’s does not compare. 

• Love 4

I get so tense when Christian comes into his mentoring sessions. I feel like his critiques are so helpful and specific I want to shout at the tv. “ Don’t tell Victoria how to fix it!  Don’t tell Brittany exactly where she’s gone wrong!  Shhhhhh!” But when he’s talking to the designers I like I relax and think good!  Fix it for them!

• LOL 3
  • Love 10
34 minutes ago, novhappy said:

I feel like his critiques are so helpful and specific I want to shout at the tv. “ Don’t tell Victoria how to fix it!  Don’t tell Brittany exactly where she’s gone wrong!  Shhhhhh!”

You mean like encouraging Brittany to put LOTS of butterflies on her coat? And not objecting to the 'ready-to-wear' print dress underneath? 😉

• LOL 3
  • Love 4

I want to like Nancy. I really do. I liked her at first. She's made some really nice garments. But something about her grates to no end. She has the disheveled artsy look of every older artist I've encountered -- her hair, the glasses. I think it is really cool she changed her career to pursue her dream later in life, but I can't fully get about the Nancy train. She irritates the crap out of me. No good reason. She just does. 

• Love 9

Geoffrey always seems on the verge of a nervous breakdown, yet he somehow gets through it. He gets so flushed, his whole body turns red, and his hands shake. I worry about his health. 

He somehow managed to make Thijin look chubby, which should be impossible. I was expecting snark from the judges about granny panties or camel toe or some such. 

Victoria's monstrosity looked horrendous. I burst into laughter when I saw the whole get-up. IN WHAT UNIVERSE is that mess considered chic or fashionable. 

I agree with those who felt the venue was not good for a fashion show. This isn't America's Next Top Model. 

• Love 6

I'm a little confused about this challenge.  Shouldn't the entire look be avant garde - not just elements of it?  Especially since they made such a big deal about styling, particularly Sergio's make-up.

Brittany made an avant garde coat but then paired it with a  plain old dress.  They even said she could have paired it with blue jeans.  Yet they didn't like it.

Geoffery made an avant garde top but paired it with granny panties (hardly revolutionary) and they thought it was wonderful.

Victoria basically made an ill fitting asymmetrical halter dress.  Yes, one of the sides connected to an earring, but it was really just a halter dress.  Again, they loved it.

Love them or hate them, Sergio and Nancy seemed to be the only ones who really followed the directive.

I guess I was hoping they would critique them on the avant garde elements ONLY and sort of ding them for not doing an entire look.

While Marquise did do a very avant garde look - I kept thinking Star Trek alien (possibly with a side of baked potato). 

• LOL 3
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, jackjill89 said:

I want to like Nancy. I really do. I liked her at first. She's made some really nice garments. But something about her grates to no end. She has the disheveled artsy look of every older artist I've encountered -- her hair, the glasses. I think it is really cool she changed her career to pursue her dream later in life, but I can't fully get about the Nancy train. She irritates the crap out of me. No good reason. She just does. 

RIGHT?! I mean, based on her story she should be likable, but she’s just so NOT.

I think finding out she met her husband via a golfing site sealed it for me.

• LOL 3
  • Love 5
56 minutes ago, DaphneCat said:

I'm a little confused about this challenge.  Shouldn't the entire look be avant garde - not just elements of it?  Especially since they made such a big deal about styling, particularly Sergio's make-up.

Brittany made an avant garde coat but then paired it with a  plain old dress.  They even said she could have paired it with blue jeans.  Yet they didn't like it.

Geoffery made an avant garde top but paired it with granny panties (hardly revolutionary) and they thought it was wonderful.

Victoria basically made an ill fitting asymmetrical halter dress.  Yes, one of the sides connected to an earring, but it was really just a halter dress.  Again, they loved it.

Love them or hate them, Sergio and Nancy seemed to be the only ones who really followed the directive.

I guess I was hoping they would critique them on the avant garde elements ONLY and sort of ding them for not doing an entire look.

While Marquise did do a very avant garde look - I kept thinking Star Trek alien (possibly with a side of baked potato). 

I think Sergio was the only one who truly presented an entire avant-garde look.

Marquise had a good crack, but it looked like the Tinman in chain harem pants, and those ill-matched white boots!

Geoffrey's superhero look with the awful granny pants was impressive solely c/- the masterful use of latex, I think.

Nancy did some architectural draping - the neck and headpiece very reminiscent of her look she sent down the runway with it, the sheer  80's prom dress - with a deeply unflattering seashell clumped on the model's torso.

Placing Brittany's shocking pink drama coat against Victoria's slouchy lush mushroom pink number, I think V won on outerwear - those were some high fashion sleeves - and while her dress was clumpy in the bodice, she made her own very effective fabric and the whole look glistened, flowed, and worked tonally very well under the lights. Compared with that cheap looking butterfly shift dress and the plastic butterflies, and her well-liked prior body of work, it was clear why she stayed in vs Brittany.

I would say V's was avant-garde, according to an Oxford dictionary definition - 'favoring or introducing new and experimental ideas and methods' - in that she made that reflective fabric...and less successfully attached the dress to the earring; whereas Brittany's was a mix of what I'd call high and low fashion. But none of them really went for it, in the manner of past avant-garde challenges.

Edited by violet and green
typo
  • Love 7