Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E06: Travis's Story LIVE CHAT

• Start Topic

1 minute ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Healthy food, prepared properly is delicious.  These patients never seem to enjoy their food. If they liked it, they may be more committed. It’s like they are being punished. The formula needs to change.

I think most of them enjoy the "full" feeling more than the actual food. 

I think it takes time, but if they will really cut out the bad fried foods, fast food, processed junk, etc, they will eventually enjoy the taste of real, fresh foods.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, aliya said:

I just read 'Out to Change the World: The Evolution of The Farm Community' by Douglas Stevenson yesterday. I remember when The Farm people came to Ann Arbor to recruit. Some of my friends went to the meeting, but I don't know if anyone actually went to Tennessee.  They've done some good work, but I think it was at a cost. I'm glad I didn't go. 

LOL, I remember the Farm back in the 70's. I wanted to join them, but my husband wasn't having it. I even got their cookbooks and home birthing books. I believe Steven and Ina May Gaskin are both gone now.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
9 minutes ago, Callaphera said:

I feel like any time poutine comes up in an internet forum, it leads to a discussion on poutine including but not limited to: the best kinds of poutine, what restaurants sell it and which ones shouldn't, brown sauce versus gravy, a side bar on cheese curds, and the random three people that are like "EWWWW!"

I'm one of the three. 😉

9 minutes ago, Giant Misfit said:

Where is Travis getting money to afford Balenciaga sneakers?! And I spied an LV and Gucci bag in that pile, too! If you have that kind of coin, get a better apartment!

Knock-offs? My cousins (brothers) wives got their daughters (who are the same age) identical-looking Coach wristlets one year for Christmas. One was real, one was fake. Someone "shuffled" them and asked the one who bought the real one to tell which was which. She couldn't.

• Useful 2
1 minute ago, Callaphera said:

Didn't they have to meet two weight loss goals before being approved before? This season has been all, "Well, you did it once so you must be able to do it forever. You get a surgery and you get a surgery and EVERYBODY GETS A SURGERY... except Gina because she sucks."

Lately he’s scheduling the surgeries for a month or two away and as long as they continue progress he goes ahead with it. 

• Love 7
5 minutes ago, Callaphera said:

I'm over the foot commercial with the tinkly music of sadness and the dude all, "Not mah big toe! It's mah favourite toe!". 

Hahahahaha! I'd demur about my big toe being lopped off. I'd be concerned about the impact on my pedicures. I do love to admire my cute painted toes. 

• LOL 1

Didn't they have to meet two weight loss goals before being approved before? This season has been all, "Well, you did it once so you must be able to do it forever. You get a surgery and you get a surgery and EVERYBODY GETS A SURGERY... except Gina because she sucks."

And we don't want to know what she's been sucking because there's a possibility it might be a part of someone she's related to.

• LOL 4
Just now, Pepper Mostly said:

Hahahahaha! I'd demur about my big toe being lopped off. I'd be concerned about the impact on my pedicures. I do love to admire my cute painted toes. 

Who has a favorite toe? Is that like having a favorite nostril?

• LOL 11
16 minutes ago, Callaphera said:

I feel like any time poutine comes up in an internet forum, it leads to a discussion on poutine including but not limited to: the best kinds of poutine, what restaurants sell it and which ones shouldn't, brown sauce versus gravy, a side bar on cheese curds, and the random three people that are like "EWWWW!"

Gah!  All this talk of Poutine is making me want some.........................

• Love 4
1 minute ago, peaceknit said:

LOL, I remember the Farm back in the 70's. I wanted to join them, but my husband wasn't having it. I even got their cookbooks and home birthing books. I believe Steven and Ina May Gaskin are both gone now.

I was gonna post about the The Farm Vegetarian Cookbook. I bought it when it first came out, lost it along the decades, and bought it again a few years back. I did so partly for the history of that time in my life and partly because they had to do everything from scratch. No Gardein meatless meatballs for these folks. If the sh$t ever hits the fan, I have basic vegetarian recipes that are filling and don't use stuff like pink Himalayan salt. 

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, 88Keys said:

I think most of them enjoy the "full" feeling more than the actual food. 

I think it takes time, but if they will really cut out the bad fried foods, fast food, processed junk, etc, they will eventually enjoy the taste of real, fresh foods.

Its true. I love pizza, but I won't touch McDonald's or any of that fast food shit any more. If I'm going to be fat (and I am!) I'm going to be fat from eating quality food! And I eat plenty of salad and kale and stuff like that. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
8 minutes ago, Suzywriter said:

Why is that stunning woman a podiatrist? Why?

6 minutes ago, Callaphera said:

She’s probably a foot and ankle surgeon. The specialty is in high demand and one of the higher paying jobs. My DPM is a foot and ankle surgeon, he mostly sees surgery or structural cases but also sees me for general foot care. Every DPM I have seen or has done surgery on my feet have been wonderfully kind and attractive. My hospital roommate and I were trying to figure out where they grow them. 

Edited by spacefly
Need to learn to quote properly
  • Love 5
Just now, SunnyBeBe said:

Does anyone know why Dr. Now almost always does gastric sleeve now instead of bypass?

Gastric sleeve is a simpler surgery so its probably easier and less strain on these folks bodies.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
Just now, CircusPeanuts said:

Gah!  All this talk of Poutine is making me want some.........................

Someone told me there’s a restaurant in New England that has a Five Pound Poutine Challenge!  Would be child’s play for a pre-op poundticipant.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 4
Just now, aliya said:

I was gonna post about the The Farm Vegetarian Cookbook. I bought it when it first came out, lost it along the decades, and bought it again a few years back. I did so partly for the history of that time in my life and partly because they had to do everything from scratch. No Gardein meatless meatballs for these folks. If the sh$t ever hits the fan, I have basic vegetarian recipes that are filling and don't use stuff like pink Himalayan salt. 

Like The Moosewood Cookbook!  I still use it. Got it in Ann Arbor, naturally. 😂 If you can't be in Ithaca...

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

I got those too!  Imperfect foods is feeling pretty perfect to me.

Mom's ass is about five axe handles wide.  She may not want to lecture others on learning to eat better. 

Aaaaaaand, although this episode is not exactly a barn burner, PrincessPurrsALot, has the high honor of being the first Pounder to be awarded her very own pair of designer gasoline soaked drawers. Wave those panties in the air like you just don't care PPAL!😊

• LOL 9
  • Love 4
Just now, Splashes said:

Gastric sleeve is a simpler surgery so its probably easier and less strain on these folks bodies.

Yup. Less time under anesthesia and little likelihood of the malnutrition that often accompanied the traditional surgery because they're no re-wiring the plumbing. 

• Love 1
Just now, ThereButFor said:

Someone told me there’s a restaurant in New England that has a Five Pound Poutine Challenge!  Would be child’s play for a pre-op poundticipant.

I resemble a stick that will blow away in a stiff breeze and I think I could pack away five pounds of poutine. But then I'm also a bottomless pit with great genetics and I've been training my whole life by sampling all the poutine in my area. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, aliya said:

Their recipes were great and different than what were out at the time. And entirely vegan. I did that lose book, buy again thing too. But not with the home birth book. After two home births, didn't need it anymore. LOL 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Gastric sleeve is almost as good as gastric bypass, and it's much quicker to do.    I think they said it takes one hour to ninety minutes to do the sleeve.     The recovery is faster too.     

A year or two ago, I think he kept the bypass as a followup surgery, if the sleeve wasn't effective enough, but I don't know if he still does it. 

He's breaking the number one rule, protein first, always.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 1

Just swam--I mean drove --in from rehearsal.  I am always late to the chat.  Eating habit was a shepherd's pie.

It is only 9;15 and surgery is occurring so maybe we will see success this time

• Love 7
Just now, Splashes said:

Yeah, true, but from what I’ve read it’s not nearly as effective or lasting.  I just wondered if studies show that it’s risk outweigh benefits. I know a couple people who died years after bypass. Their health went to hell.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Does anyone know why Dr. Now almost always does gastric sleeve now instead of bypass?

Weight loss surgery has moved away from bypass to gastric sleeve because there are many fewer long term complications.  Dr. Now was late to switch from bypass to sleeve but has now moved that direction.  

• Love 3
Just now, SunnyBeBe said:

Yeah, true, but from what I’ve read it’s not nearly as effective or lasting.

I thought more recent research showed that it was nearly as effective as the bypass.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, LizzyB said:

Like The Moosewood Cookbook!  I still use it. Got it in Ann Arbor, naturally. 😂 If you can't be in Ithaca...

OMG I remember the "Moosewood Cookbook."  If I remember, kinda heavy on the cheese.

• Love 1

OMG. He's making the bed. A bed with sheets. And pillowcases, and a nice coverlet/comforter.  And then he goes to the kitchen and fixes his own plate of food.

I hope this guy succeeds. 

• Love 14