Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E11: Mud Turtles, A Good Steak, and One Man in a Tub

Pallas
  • Start Topic

Aw, that ending with Dan and Louise :(. Hopefully she will be back down the line, then, and maybe they can see where things stand again. 

I also feel for Darlene, with her frustration over everything with Harris (though I did laugh at her telling that lady that her check wasn't going to clear :D). But I liked her talk with Dan about all of that, and I'm glad to see Harris has a good plan of her own in place. I hope that works out for her, it'd be neat to see what could come of that for her and the family at large. Dan coming to support her on her first day was really sweet, too (I also love that he uses that bubble bath that Mark gave him :p). 

And I'm glad that Jackie's made a genuine friend in Dawn, too. It'd be fun to see what else they could do together, and how she can help out with the business. 

• Love 17

Loved this episode the scenes with Dan & Louise were adorable! Although that last scene tore my heart out, Louise seemed a bit upset with him, and poor Dan is still very conflicted, but hopefully she'll be back because it's probably gonna be an open storyline.

1 minute ago, Browncoat said:

Maybe a break is what Dan and Louise need.  He'll miss her while she's away for three months.  You never know what you've got 'till it's gone.  Hopefully they can get back together when she returns.

Yeah true, but the romance has barely even started yet up til now..they've only really been friends. 

• Love 8
12 minutes ago, Bronzedog said:

Katey Sagal has been cast in another show.  Louise had to leave.

Yeah, but she could do both so I'm not counting Louise out just yet..

• Love 7

Of course Harris is in a similar position as Becky once was regarding college. I'm sure what she's doing now wouldn't be her first choice, but if it sets her up for a better future and no student loans, then hey! The Conners can still get their (non art school-related) college graduate! 🙂

I was worried that Dawn was going to leave Jackie behind after the way the latter accused her of faking their friendship (and I wouldn't have blamed her for that, either), but at least Jackie has a friends again. It does make you wonder where Crystal, Bonnie, Annmarie and Nancy are, though. They weren't JUST Roseanne's friends, after all.

I think I'd be fine with Dan & Louise just being very close friends, even if that means some sadness on Louise's part, since she likes Dan so much. Their relationship is good as is. 

And I LOVED seeing the old Lunch Box logo, even though the sign wasn't originally red. The set is just like the old one, too. 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 14

"Harris got a letter from Central Illinois State."
"The college or the penitentiary?"

That was funny, but it was also quite poignant to hear Dan and Darlene discuss Harris's limited options and how to respond to her plan to work within them.  Cute hug between mother and daughter on Harris's first day.

The Becky/Jackie interaction was nice, too.

And Dan still not being ready for more with Louise is completely natural, and I really like that being honored.  This was in the can before Katey Sagal's pilot was greenlit, and touring easily supports Louise being gone for a bit and then back, regularly in and out of town, or just gone, depending on whether that pilot gets picked up to series and, if so, whether Sagal can make guest appearances (same network, so it's definitely possible if scheduling allows).

The toilet is in a different place than it used to be, and that kept distracting me during the scene of Dan in the bathtub.

Odessa doing Monty Python at the door when Darlene came over amused me.

• Love 19
12 hours ago, UYI said:

Of course Harris is in a similar position as Becky once was regarding college. I'm sure what she's doing now wouldn't be her first choice, but if it sets her up for a better future and no student loans, then hey! The Conners can still get their (non art school-related) college graduate! 🙂

I was worried that Dawn was going to leave Jackie behind after the way the latter accused her of faking their friendship (and I wouldn't have blamed her for that, either), but at least Jackie has a friends again. It does make you wonder where Crystal, Bonnie, Annmarie and Nancy are, though. They weren't JUST Roseanne's friends, after all.

I think I'd be fine with Dan & Louise just being very close friends, even if that means some sadness on Louise's part, since she likes Dan so much. Their relationship is good as is. 

And I LOVED seeing the old Lunch Box logo, even though the sign wasn't originally red. The set is just like the old one, too. 

I can totally relate and understand how it is hard to make friends as you get older. That being said, when was Jackie the type of woman other women did not like? From the early days of the factory, she always had plenty of female friends and seemed quite popular. I am glad that lady was sincere.

I really enjoyed the rest of the episode. In the past college was often sold as an instant ticket to stability and that is no longer the case.

I also did not understand why the Hell Darlene was so sour in a business degree. It seems like a good and practical road to me.

Does it seem like moving in with Odessa actually has improved Harris’s life and outlook?

Can someone explain to me what type of school Darlene went to? The only art school I really know of where I come from is Savannah and that school is very prestigious. It certainly would not be the type of institution that Dan would poo poo as not a “real college”.

Edited by qtpye
  • Love 9

Now that Modern Family is wrapping up and reboots are the name of the game, I kinda wish that they’d bring Married with Children back. 

Harris’ plan made way more sense in this era, so I’m happy she got her way. Acquiring that type of debt for a liberal arts degree is completely asinine, and even with significant scholarships there would still be way more out of pocket with less in return than the online business degree. She can always pursue her her dream degree as a working woman and can afford it without debt/significantly less debt. 

• Love 10
33 minutes ago, qtpye said:

Can someone explain to me what type of school Darlene went to? The only art school I really know of where I come from is Savannah and that school is very prestigious. It certainly would not be the type of institution that Dan would poo poo as not a “real college”.

Darlene’s school was never named.  She studied writing, so it was unlikely that it was the School of the Art Institute of Chicago – a great institution like the Savannah College of Art and Design.  Her school apparently also taught Dance, because Darlene dated a dancer at one point. I always assumed that her school was one of those for-profit schools that spring up and shut down in old shopping centers.  Darlene lived in a crappy apartment and not a dorm room – a non-profit accredited school would be more likely to include student housing (or Darlene chose not to live in dorm). 

If “Central Illinois U” on the show last night was an accredited, non-profit U or a public university, the financial aid package at the Connor’s income level would have included grants and scholarships in addition to loans. 

And I agree that Harris seems to be doing better living away from Darlene.  Reminds me a bit of the Violet/Christie dynamic on “Mom.”

• Love 6

I actually thought that Central Illinois State was a real school at first and looked it up last night--it's not. The closest thing to that name is a community college in East Peoria called Illinois Central College:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illinois_Central_College

26 minutes ago, MarthaEllisanne said:

And I agree that Harris seems to be doing better living away from Darlene.  Reminds me a bit of the Violet/Christie dynamic on “Mom.”

I've actually liked Harris in these last two episodes. I NEVER thought I'd say that. 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 6
14 minutes ago, MarthaEllisanne said:

If “Central Illinois U” on the show last night was an accredited, non-profit U or a public university, the financial aid package at the Connor’s income level would have included grants and scholarships in addition to loans. 

That was my thought. She would likely have been eligible for some, if not all, of the Pell Grant and depending on her brains some academic scholarships.  There would also likely be work-study available for her to help with the expenses. But I do remember way back when I went to college when it was significantly cheaper than it is now, my roommate, whose family was similarly struggling did end up taking out small loans for the 'family' portion. 

1 hour ago, qtpye said:

I also did not understand why the Hell Darlene was so sour in a business degree. It seems like a good and practical road to me.

I think Darlene viewed it as "settling."  There's that whole school of thought, follow your dreams or passion and the money will come.  Then there's the rest of us who do our jobs and save the stuff we're passionate about for our down time. 

• Love 6

It makes total sense that Dan isn't ready to have a relationship yet even though it is sad for Louise. At least this way she gets to go on tour one last time. Maybe if she comes back Dan will be ready then.

I totally felt what Darlene was feeling about Harris not going to college. It's really messed up that college is so expensive and it's difficult to get a job after if you have a liberal arts degree. That's not the way it was back in my day. Writing is actually a useful skill. I also thought that an online degree that only costs $350 per year sounded very sketchy. It sounds like a scam to me. If they are not setting it up that way, at least Harris is working toward a better future for herself.

Harris and Odessa seem to be "adulting," as the kids say. Harris has a job and they were actually cleaning the apartment. Albeit probably after smoking a bowl. Maybe it's better for Harris to have the kind of space she wouldn't get living with the rest of her family all cramped together in that house.

I laughed a bunch this episode and most of it worked in my opinion.

Darlene: You're a mud turtle!

Harris: Give me a break, I haven't had time to put on makeup yet!

• Love 10
14 minutes ago, DoubleUTeeEff said:

I also thought that an online degree that only costs $350 per year sounded very sketchy. It sounds like a scam to me. If they are not setting it up that way, at least Harris is working toward a better future for herself.

Maybe that's just her portion and PriceMart pays for the rest of the tuition? Otherwise, yeah, total scam. 

• Love 12
1 hour ago, qtpye said:

I can totally relate and understand how it is hard to make friends as you get older. That being said, when was Jackie the type of woman other women did not like? From the early days of the factory, she always had plenty of female friend and seemed quite popular. I am glad that lady was sincere.

I really enjoyed the rest of the episode. In the past college was often sold as an instant ticket to stability and that is no longer the case.

Does it seem like moving in with Odessa actually has improved Harris’s life and outlook?

You can't compare this Jackie to early years Jackie. She used to be a functional human being with a crappy dating life. She has a ton more problems and annoying characteristics now.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, MarthaEllisanne said:

Darlene’s school was never named.  She studied writing, so it was unlikely that it was the School of the Art Institute of Chicago – a great institution like the Savannah College of Art and Design.  Her school apparently also taught Dance, because Darlene dated a dancer at one point. I always assumed that her school was one of those for-profit schools that spring up and shut down in old shopping centers.  Darlene lived in a crappy apartment and not a dorm room – a non-profit accredited school would be more likely to include student housing (or Darlene chose not to live in dorm). 

What weird is that David got rejected by the same school for art.  I remember him being a total asshole to Darlene and staring she could not go even though she did get accepted for writing. Didn’t those for profit colleges pretty much accept anyone with a pulse? Perhaps it was just the old writers not understanding how real “art schools” work.

22 minutes ago, DoubleUTeeEff said:

It makes total sense that Dan isn't ready to have a relationship yet even though it is sad for Louise. At least this way she gets to go on tour one last time. Maybe if she comes back Dan will be ready then.

I totally felt what Darlene was feeling about Harris not going to college. It's really messed up that college is so expensive and it's difficult to get a job after if you have a liberal arts degree. That's not the way it was back in my day. Writing is actually a useful skill. I also thought that an online degree that only costs $350 per year sounded very sketchy. It sounds like a scam to me. If they are not setting it up that way, at least Harris is working toward a better future for herself.

Harris and Odessa seem to be "adulting," as the kids say. Harris has a job and they were actually cleaning the apartment. Albeit probably after smoking a bowl. Maybe it's better for Harris to have the kind of space she wouldn't get living with the rest of her family all cramped together in that house.

I laughed a bunch this episode and most of it worked in my opinion.

Darlene: You're a mud turtle!

Harris: Give me a break, I haven't had time to put on makeup yet!

Odessa’s apartment looked much better than the Connor’s house has ever looked.

Edited by qtpye
  • Love 11

Laurie Metcalf HAS to dial back the Don Knotts. She's just annoying the shit out of me this season, and it's mostly the scenery chewing, Whacky Jackie shit. 

I swear that last night, I thought that they were heading towards Jackie DATING the meat vendor. Or maybe that's too Nancy/Marla for them to fall back on. But they ARE rehashing a lot of old Roseanne story lines (as been mentioned above), so perhaps?.

So, there's a fireplace where the kitchen doors used to be, and the kitchen doors are where the bathrooms were at the Lunchbox. Huh. 

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Love 15
4 minutes ago, Racj82 said:

You can't compare this Jackie to early years Jackie. She used to be a functional human being with a crappy dating life. She has a ton more problems and annoying characteristics now.

3 minutes ago, ChicksDigScars said:

Laurie Metcalf HAS to dial back the Don Knotts. She's just annoying the shit out of me this season, and it's mostly the scenery chewing, whacky Jackie shit. 

This is so true. Now Jackie is a pathetic loser whose only friend was her sister.

I am glad that Louise no longer has to suffer Jackie’s abuse, particularly since Dan never really called out Jackie for being so rude to Louise.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, MarthaEllisanne said:

I always assumed that she went to Columbia College in Chicago which is/was mostly a commuter college.  Hence why she lived in an apartment.  Now they teamed up with other city colleges and have more dorm living in the loop but at that time, Columbia students either lived at home or in their own places and commuted to the college.

https://www.colum.edu/

Also, I really like Jackie character and she is the only one that consistently makes me laugh. 🤷‍♂️

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
39 minutes ago, ChicksDigScars said:

I swear that last night, I thought that they were heading towards Jackie DATING the meat vendor. Or maybe that's too Nancy/Marla for them to fall back on. But they ARE rehashing a lot of old Roseanne story lines (as been mentioned above), so perhaps?.

So did I! I know there was talk in the past about Jackie originally being intended to be a lesbian (as Roseanne's sister is in real life), and of course the original "book" ending portrayed her that way. But everything between that and since have pretty much always shown her to be 100 percent heterosexual (or close to it).

So yeah, that threw me off a bit. 

BTW: The actress who played Dawn is Cheryl Hines, RFK Jr.'s wife. I thought I recognized her, but it wasn't until the closing credits that I figured out why. 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 3
41 minutes ago, qtpye said:

This is so true. Now Jackie is a pathetic loser whose only friend was her sister.

I am glad that Louise no longer has to suffer Jackie’s abuse, particularly since Dan never really called out Jackie for being so rude to Louise.

Yeah Jackie is so horrible!! And being mean to Louise didn't help either and even though I don't want Louise to go, I too am glad she doesn't have to suffer from Jackie's abuse anymore which I had forgotten about for just a second, but now that I think about it..it's so true.

• Love 5
1 minute ago, ESS said:

Yeah Jackie is so horrible!! And being mean to Louise didn't help either and even though I don't want Louise to go, I too am glad she doesn't have to suffer from Jackie's abuse anymore which I had forgotten about for just a second, but now that I think about it..it's so true.

I still can't get over the fact that Jackie slapped Darlene. It kind of ruined the character for me.

• Love 9
24 minutes ago, RocknRollZombie said:

Yeah hold up, Dan did call Jackie out in the Thanksgiving episode, and I think Jackie and Louise were starting to form a somewhat friendship just pointing that out.

Dan called Jackie out for being angry that Louise upstaged her in a talent show years ago but Jackie is quite hostile to her and has stated that she will never accept her since she will never be as good as Roseanne.

• Love 7
19 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I still can't get over the fact that Jackie slapped Darlene. It kind of ruined the character for me.

Yeah that pretty low to do..

• Love 4
19 minutes ago, SpiritSong said:

This was a rare episode where (mostly) good things happened to the characters. I laughed out loud at Dan's "Owww!" immediately segueing into "I feel good" as if he was singing the song.

I loved the way Dan and Darlene hissed at each other at the mention of Art School.

• Love 11

Regardless of where their relationship goes, I think Louise should have still gone on tour. If the relationship didn't work out she'd always regret passing up the opportunity. And she'd probably resent Dan for preventing her from her last chance at touring. Also, while I understand where she's coming from and appreciate her frustration, she's really pushing Dan a little too hard to commit. He and Roseanne were married for what feels like a lifetime to him. He has to do this at his own pace, and she has to accept the fact that he might never even get there.

I also agree with Darlene that the college was involved in what amounts to a scam. They send out letters of acceptance to low-income students promising to "help" them only to lure them into taking out loans it will take them 20 years to pay off. They are probably in business with the institutions that give out those loans and are encouraged to do this sort of thing.

All the stuff with Jackie made me cringe, and yeah I thought they might be going the lesbian route with her. Which would have been even worse, since it reinforces the trope that "desperate" women who have a string of unsuccessful relationships with men eventually turn lesbian. Ugh. I've never found "pathetic" to be funny. I fail to see why so many TV writers do. It's The Three Stooges syndrome: point and laugh at the stupid losers.

• Love 11

I love Cheryl Hines and hope she'll be back for more episodes. Not a fan of what they've done with Jackie.

I don't totally get Dan's reluctance to move forward with Louise. I know he and Roseanne were together forever, but there's a general trend for widowers to remarry -- or at least, couple up -- quickly. Of course, not everyone does that, but Dan seems like the type of guy who would have a tough time going it alone after being in a relationship since high school. Who the hell is gonna pull him out of the bathtub next time...Darlene? Frankly, Dan is lucky that a hot chick like Louise is interested. But I'm not surprised he declined, since I also knew KS had landed a new show (or at least, a pilot). 

Edited by Jillybean
  • Love 5
5 minutes ago, Jillybean said:

I love Cheryl Hines and hope she'll be back for more episodes. Not a fan of what they've done with Jackie.

I don't totally get Dan's reluctance to move forward with Louise. I know he and Roseanne were together forever, but there's a general trend for widows to remarry -- or at least, couple up -- quickly. Of course, not everyone does that, but Dan seems like the type of guy who would have a tough time going it alone after being in a relationship since high school. Who the hell is gonna pull him out of the bathtub next time...Darlene? Frankly, Dan is lucky that a hot chick like Louise is interested. But I'm not surprised he declined, since I also knew KS had landed a new show (or at least, a pilot). 

I agree with you about Dan it's been a year now so that's more than respectable. It made me so sad for Louise though and I too understand Dan's point, but come on he has to be move on sometime and he doesn't seem like he wants to be alone..you can't have it both ways he said he's comfortable with her, but he's still not ready to date? I just hope Louise will be back if there's a season 3 and they can work it out and maybe by then Dan will finally be ready for her.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Racj82 said:

Do you think that they're setting Jackie up for early onset dementia ?

She seems over the top ALOT this time around. I know Jackie was always flakey,  but she is really weird now.  

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Racj82 said:

I guess I understand the old Jackie into new (and NOT improved) Jackie because I have an aunt with a lot of similarities.  Was once well loved, everyone's favorite person/aunt, great sense of humor & lots of friends.  As she has gotten older she's become a bitter, angry, hard to like person who has ran everyone off.  At least Jackie hasn't burned her family to the point they are done with her like my aunt has.  Jackie hasn't laid down & given up quite yet, but she's realized that her life is a steaming pile of shit.  IMO, losing her sister just took off her blinders & took away the person who made her believe she could still do better/more.  Which is ironic because Roseanne didn't exactly scream "supportive sister".  Maybe Jackie's motivation was to just prove Roseanne wrong.  She's lost that now.  She's a walking clusterfuck. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

Regardless of where their relationship goes, I think Louise should have still gone on tour. If the relationship didn't work out she'd always regret passing up the opportunity. And she'd probably resent Dan for preventing her from her last chance at touring. Also, while I understand where she's coming from and appreciate her frustration, she's really pushing Dan a little too hard to commit. He and Roseanne were married for what feels like a lifetime to him. He has to do this at his own pace, and she has to accept the fact that he might never even get there.

Yeah, I like Louise and the trajectory of their relationship, but she made me cringe in that scene -- way too thirsty, saying she'd turn down what is probably her last opportunity to tour if he wanted her to stay.  WTF?  It was only for 3-6 months!  You don't turn that down to avoid being away from a spouse, let alone a friend (especially in this day and age, when it's so easy and cheap to communicate).  Hell, people are away from their children for long stretches for work they don't even like.  Getting paid to do the thing you love?  Pack your bags! 

3 hours ago, joanne3482 said:

Maybe that's just her portion and PriceMart pays for the rest of the tuition?

Yes, that was how Harris presented it - as something she'd be able to do for that price through the employer's program.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 13

Which would have been even worse, since it reinforces the trope that "desperate" women who have a string of unsuccessful relationships with men eventually turn lesbian. Ugh. 

I hate that too. As if a woman would want to be someone's second choice, something they're settling for. Who the hell needs that?

• Love 8

I don't totally get Dan's reluctance to move forward with Louise. I know he and Roseanne were together forever, but there's a general trend for widows to remarry -- or at least, couple up -- quickly.

While that's generally true, Dan hasn't been alone since Roseanne's death. He's got a house full of kids and grandkids. I think a lot of times the widower remarries quickly simply because he doesn't know how to live alone. Dan doesn't have that problem. He also doesn't need someone to take care of him. I think both Becky and Darlene are filling most of those needs themselves. So I can see why it's harder for him to move on and forge another relationship. He just doesn't have the need that would push him into that like a lot of lonely widowers.

• Love 22
5 hours ago, DoubleUTeeEff said:

I'm questioning that online degree.  I highly doubt "PriceMart" has a tuition reimbursement program for any employees, much less brand new ones that just started, and "online universities" tend to be scams.

If Darlene had been the planning type, she'd have moved in with her boss/bf in Chicago when she had the chance and brought the kids with her.  If Harris had graduated high school with a B average, she would have been able to go to a Chicago Community College for free, including books.  She'd have been able to work part time, too, and maybe save up to finish a 4 year degree after the first two at Community College. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 5

Sarah Baker (the college counselor) was the daughter on the Kominsky Method. Katy Sagal is going to have a new show.  Cheryl Hines was/is on Curb Your Enthusiasm. And of course Harris is on Shameless.  Seems like the new thing is to be on several different shows all at once. I too was wondering where Crystal/Nancy/Ann Marie/ Nancy/ Bonnie all were. Maybe they are all in relationships and Jackie isn't?

Darlene doesn't seem to know about college beyond her realm of when she went to art school (which probably wasn't really college in the four year sense, perhaps like Art Institute-type school). She was just busy writing, dating dancers, working at the radio station and traveling back and forth to her old life in Lanford. She also didn't seem too aware of what kind of grades Harris was getting or whether she needed to participate in extracurriculars, write college essays, etc. I know there are tons of grants/scholarships available on line for just about every kind of situation (one of my Ds applied for a lot of these back in the day and she was awarded chunks of cash $500-$1000 which really added up - she also worked at a hospital where she got a grant each semester if she was going to college in the medical field). 

Isn't it interesting how mature Harris has gotten now that she's away from Darlene? She's cleaning the house she lives in. She got a job that will pay for tuition while she works and makes some money. (also there are lots of reputable colleges that offer online degrees). 

Dan hasn't dated anybody since high school.  That's got to be weird for him. I did like when Louise was wiping his face and it got me right in the gut (yes I have too much invested in these fake TV people). And I like that he didn't marry the first woman that put her hooks in him. 

I continue to love Becky and her take-charge attitude. She was a flake and a drunk and a mess for so long. 

• Love 10
2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

While that's generally true, Dan hasn't been alone since Roseanne's death. He's got a house full of kids and grandkids. I think a lot of times the widower remarries quickly simply because he doesn't know how to live alone. Dan doesn't have that problem. He also doesn't need someone to take care of him. I think both Becky and Darlene are filling most of those needs themselves. So I can see why it's harder for him to move on and forge another relationship. He just doesn't have the need that would push him into that like a lot of lonely widowers.

Well when you put it that way now I understand even more why it he would turn Louise down for dating and it may even have scared him to start.

• Love 4

I too was wondering where Crystal/Nancy/Ann Marie/ Nancy/ Bonnie all were. Maybe they are all in relationships and Jackie isn't?

Well, Crystal wasn't the last time we saw her. Then again, they never did tell us what happened to Ed. This show sure does like to play fast and loose with its peripheral characters. They exist when it's convenient and at other times it's like they don't.

• Love 7
6 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Well, Crystal wasn't the last time we saw her. Then again, they never did tell us what happened to Ed. This show sure does like to play fast and loose with its peripheral characters. They exist when it's convenient and at other times it's like they don't.

I take it you don't watch a lot of soaps. Boy, do they like to play fast and loose with character history.

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
19 hours ago, Bastet said:

Odessa doing Monty Python at the door when Darlene came over amused me.

I liked that too, and it was especially timely since Terry Jones passed last week.  

I wasn't really looking forward to watching this after they all acted like asses last week, but I thought it was funny when Dan did the James Brown bit at the beginning.  Always nice to see Cheryl Hines, hopes she sticks around for a recurring role.

As other people have said, I'm sure there are other aid options for Harris available.  It was funny that Darlene told that lady her check would bounce, but it wasn't really her fault what the school's policy was.  So lambasting her might have made Darlene feel good, but it didn't really accomplish anything.

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, rmontro said:

As other people have said, I'm sure there are other aid options for Harris available.  It was funny that Darlene told that lady her check would bounce, but it wasn't really her fault what the school's policy was.  So lambasting her might have made Darlene feel good, but it didn't really accomplish anything.

I hated that, too. The person dealing with prospective students in the financial aid office is not the one making the rules. (But they're the one people will take out their frustrations on, unfortunately.)

Also, if it's an application fee, they've already cashed your check (or found out it bounced) well before they're even thinking about sending you an acceptance letter.

Also also...when I was applying to colleges the tours were during the application phase, not post-acceptance. (The school I ended up going to waived the fee if you attended a tour and submitted your application in person.)

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, izabella said:

I'm questioning that online degree.  I highly doubt "PriceMart" has a tuition reimbursement program for any employees, much less brand new ones that just started, and "online universities" tend to be scams.

As someone who completed their BA online, I disagree. In fact, having taken classes both on and offline, online courses are WAY more work. Since the instructor can't evaluate you in person, there tends to be more writing assignments, papers and projects, along with required forum participation at least once a week - sometimes more - where you have to respond thoughtfully to a minimum of 3 other students' posts.  (My program was an old one, too. The SNL program from DePaul University in Chicago has been around since the 1970s.)  My employer paid around $5000 in tuition reimbursement a year and new employees were eligible if their manager approved the program. 

Walmart used to partner with American Public University, an online program that services the military, where credit hours are really cheap, like $300 or so the last time I looked. Granted, it's been a while.  Since then it looks like Walmart has switched providers and made it cheaper for employees - if they are willing to get a business degree. 

https://www.edsurge.com/news/2018-05-30-walmart-chooses-three-colleges-where-its-employees-can-study-for-1-a-day 

Anyway, sorry to sound defensive but online programs are like any other educational opportunity. You get out of it what you are willing to put into it. 

• Useful 8
  • Love 7

I'm not a regular watcher of this show and I thoroughly enjoyed last nights show. I thought Laurie Metcalf was absolutely hysterical in her new friendship with Cheryl Hines. I'm glad it turned out to be a real friendship so far. That Huge painting of her she hauled into the diner had me literally rolling on the floor laughing. Was great entertainment. I'm going to watch more often now.

• Love 7