Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E07: PoV Comp #2; Final Members of TeamAmerica Revealed

• Start Topic

Devin is just the worst. Such a horrible player, such ego, such ridiculousness, and I really need him to not be HOH any more. For a good, long time.

I have to give credit to Brittany for knowing how to play him: "as a parent, you know what it's like to be a parent, because you have a child, and you are their parent, and our children need us as their parent to be a parent to our children". Perfectly played.

Zach was about the opposite. Insisting on having an opinion, actually admitting to things, and being honest? I'm with Frankie on this one, WTF was he thinking? Although I'm not buying Devin's 'incredulous' response to Zach telling Devin to just put him on the block. My ass he wasn't thinking if it before their meeting.

Could not possibly care less about Team America and their "missions". As long as "America" does not get a say in who they have to nominate/vote out, I can live with it. But I can not handle another Evil Dick season, where a kicky soundtrack and plucky edit hands him the game, with timely help from "America".

Thanks BB for only teasing us with by far the most interesting part of the episode.

• Love 5

Don't forget Brittany tossed in "competitions" and "baseball," just for good measure. I don't really like her, but that was some grand work right there.

Grodner, you suck. You promised a blowup, and gave me a record-scratch.

• Love 3

I had decided to quit watching because it was just depressing to watch everyone follow Devin's orders -- but now...viva la revolution!

I loved Hayden's shudder over Devin's man hug and the meeting of the three apple pie, bald eagle fans.

• Love 4

Note, if you are a spy looking for a code word, asking a trivia question with it as an answer is a horrible idea.

But watching Frankie and Derrick get their words in while in a conversation with Caleb and Amber was awesome.

• Love 2

I have to give credit to Brittany for knowing how to play him: "as a parent, you know what it's like to be a parent, because you have a child, and you are their parent, and our children need us as their parent to be a parent to our children". Perfectly played.

Yes, because only us parents know, as parents, what it's like to be parents. That was masterfully targeting the "I remember the last thing people say" brain of Devin.

Note, if you are a spy looking for a code word, asking a trivia question with it as an answer is a horrible idea.

Especially when the trivia question is as simple as "And what's on the back of a quarter?" But it was nice that Caleb can be creepy in many unexpected situations with his bald eagle story.

I couldn't be more let down about the pathetic options given to "Team America", just another wasted opportunity.

• Love 3

Since Devin monopolized the episode I won't give him a lot of time here just want to say it's obvious this week is his last stand. There is are to many people that feel he's unstable and the house will be better off without him. Nothing can save him from back dooring now.

What I really want to post about is Victoria...after a couple prominent early episodes she has been reduced to a virtual background character...not even that but a extra in a crowd scene. She is litterally one step away from being Chuck Cunningham who went upstairs and was never seen or refered to again. If she goes into a Diary Room she may never come out again. Jocasta is fairing little better. I don't know if its the casting directors, the producers or Grodner herself but someone must be dissapointed in them because their non existant airtime is hard to ignore.

Meanwhile it looks like there aren't going to be any true showmances this year. Too many married people for one thing and I don't really see any sparks other than Caleb's one sided affair with Amber (he was so transparent trying to play the White Knight when he was throwing Devin under the bus to impress Amber)

"Victoria gets what Victoria wants" except for airtime apparently. I must admit I saw her today like you said, in a crowd, and I too was like "Wow, she's still around?" Brittany's fake eyelashes have gotten more notice. But it does come back to Devin, he's sooo all over the place and changing every two minutes that just presenting everything he's been up to is a challenge in the time they have every week. It will hopefully ease soon with his exit.

• Love 1

Maybe it's residual PTSD (of sorts) from last season, but I cringed when Christine (?) called Devin "scary." No. Just...no. He's strong-willed and slightly socially awkward -- but no more so than steroid-fueled Jessie. And I don't remember anyone ever calling that guy "scary."

Devin is many things, but I do not believe he is the "angry black man" stereotype.

• Love 3

Maybe it's residual PTSD (of sorts) from last season, but I cringed when Christine (?) called Devin "scary." No. Just...no. He's strong-willed and slightly socially awkward -- but no more so than steroid-fueled Jessie. And I don't remember anyone ever calling that guy "scary."

Devin is many things, but I do not believe he is the "angry black man" stereotype.

My daughter and I were talking about this and the idea of coded speech. He is not scary, IMO. He is annoying and abrasive and an over talker and self important and sometimes even tries to be intimidating, but not scary. Plus he has that idiot "bro" voice. Jeez. He got the right ones who sit up there quiet and let him talk real reckless, biding their time.  I will be so happy when he's gone. This backdoor better not backfire or fall along the wayside. 

Anyway, Zach is scarier to me. He gets really close and does all that bouncing and fidgeting. He seems like a snapper. I don't like all that movement when someone is agitated and really close to you. 

• Love 1

What I really want to post about is Victoria...after a couple prominent early episodes she has been reduced to a virtual background character...not even that but a extra in a crowd scene.

In this episode,  I felt the same about Cody. I was especially wondering about him in the Bomb Squad meeting upstairs.   The editing was really choppy for me as well.

Poor Paola.  I think she gets worse in every competition.

I don't get the feeds but from what I've read, I DO believe that Devin is scary - because he's unpredictable and loses his temper (and direction) in a second. I don't think we should attribute being angry to his race but to his bulked up physique. It's been speculated on many threads that he looks like he goes thru 'roid rage - so in a sense, I see him as another version of Jessie, but one that lacks the humour of that cartoony hamster. I can't wait to see Devin go. We still will have a couple of crazies when he's gone - Caleb and probably Zack (although Zack came across as relatively sane if not strategic) in this episode.

Meanwhile it looks like there aren't going to be any true showmances this year.

Maybe the producers realized how much McRae and Amanda derailed the show last year and it was all for naught since neither of them won.

That was masterfully targeting the "I remember the last thing people say" brain of Devin.

I wonder if Devin has any self-awareness at all. If he does he's surely going to cringe hard when he's at home watching the episodes and he realizes how easily she manipulated him. He fancies himself the master of working people but he has the stability of Play-Doh.

(edited)

They did the same competition last season, right? Instead of planets it was stuffed animals to make a mobile for a children's nursery.  And they were dressed like babies?  Is it that hard to come up with something new?  Or do they always recycle comps and I've just never noticed?

And have we seen Zach wearing anything other than that blue gator t-shirt?  I don't mind; I was a gator for two years. But, still.  Is that all he brought?

Edited by woodscommaelle

Anytime there's a big black dude, the whole I'm scared of him is the standard code language.  Caleb is just as big as Devin and you don't hear that about him.  It's not the first time this has happened on BB or Survivor for that matter.  Victoria even mentioned that she was afraid Devin was going to torture her - like really.  Also, this "I'm scared of him" talk happened very early in the season well before the other Devin cray cray occurred.  Sure Devin is very controlling and forceful in his manner but to constantly think he's going to physically attack you does play into the 'angry black man' stereotype.

• Love 3
(edited)

Caleb is just as big as Devin and you don't hear that about him.

Maybe not in this specific episode, but I do feel like it has come up that Caleb is scary.  In fact, I think more than one person has said he's scarier than Devin.  

The whole thing with Devin turning on Zach over not wanting Brittany out and then Devin using the veto on her anyway to put Zach up is just so odd.   I get that there was probably more to it than that, but that's basically how it was shown.

Edited by vb68

Zach really did dig his own grave. That sucks. Devin is just so damn annoying. His voice is boring. I was tired of listening to him by the first few minutes of the episode. I was also really dissapointed that I have to wait to see the drama! Come on! Brittany played Devin well. Good on her.  

The Team America has been too drawn out to get all the players. It has taken to long. IMO. I like the team though. 

The whole thing with Devin turning on Zach over not wanting Brittany out and then Devin using the veto on her anyway to put Zach up is just so odd.   I get that there was probably more to it than that, but that's basically how it was shown.

Isn't it obvious? Devin had already scripted in his head how the meeting would go - him calmly and at great length explaining to the other BSers why evicting Brit was the only way world peace would be achieved in our time, and all of them nodding in agreement and awe and congratulating him on his stunning insight. And good looks.

But what's this? Zak, wacky kid that he is, disrupted Devin's inner monologue - with a dissenting opinion, of all things. Of course Zak must be crushed.

• Love 6

The apple pie-bald eagle rendezvous was one of the funniest things I've seen on BB. Having Caleb and Amber in the midst of it was hilarious.

The two tasks that America get to choose from are awful, though. Why not just silly, stupid pranks that would be entertaining to watch?

• Love 4
(edited)

They did the same competition last season, right? Instead of planets it was stuffed animals to make a mobile for a children's nursery.  And they were dressed like babies?  Is it that hard to come up with something new?  Or do they always recycle comps and I've just never noticed?

The vast majority of the comps are recycled.  For example, the Balance Beam HoH this week was similar to Balance Beam vetoes in S9, S12 (although Ragan had to solve a puzzle, too) and S13, where the "remember the pictures" Battle of the Block comp was a riff on an HoH from S7.  When they come up with something truly new (like the mobile comp was last year, or this season's "Pouring Twenties" swings comp), it's noteworthy.

Interesting that in two iterations, the "mobile" Veto has been won by a physical behemoth both times. (Jeremy last season, and now Devin.)  I really can't see how it rewards physical strength, so that's a surprising trend.

And have we seen Zach wearing anything other than that blue gator t-shirt?  I don't mind; I was a gator for two years. But, still.  Is that all he brought?

Zach also has the mint-green polo shirt he wore into the house and which is seen in his credits shot.  And when he "volunteers" to go up in his living room chat with Devin this ep, he's wearing some sort of hunter green hoodie.  But yeah, that's about it.  Even Caleb has shown a better wardrobe than "Dr. Won't".  If he really could only afford a few shirts, then no wonder he was jealous of the rich kids at Pinehurst H.S.

Man, when Caleb is calling you a misogynist, you know you're over the line.  That's like Aaryn calling you racist, isn't it?

And yeah, having Jocasta and Victoria not saying a single word in the episode was just poor editing.  (I think that was Cody who was trying to get into the HoH room when Zach asked for a private moment with Devin after the Veto…I think. So Cody wasn't entirely mute, but he was definitely in "blink and you missed it" territory.)  Give the girls a DR or something. (Jocasta appears to be Paola's closest friend in the House, it would actually be relevant.)

And boo to the tease of "the House explodes after the Veto meeting…er, next episode".  That's just cheap, IMO.

ETA:

[Devin is] strong-willed and slightly socially awkward -- but no more so than steroid-fueled Jessie.

Jessie Godderz made it a point, over and over, that he is a "natural" body-builder, that he has never taken a steroid in his life.  (It's why his head looks relatively small next to his built-up chest, whereas roiders develop very thick necks, almost as wide as their heads.)  I see no reason to disbelieve "Mr. Pectacular" on this point, personally.

Edited by DAngelus
  • Love 2

Maybe not in this specific episode, but I do feel like it has come up that Caleb is scary.  In fact, I think more than one person has said he's scarier than Devin.

So, it's not so much coded language on the HG's part as much as Big Brother letting its racism slip by only seeing one HG as scary?

The apple pie-bald eagle rendezvous was one of the funniest things I've seen on BB. Having Caleb and Amber in the midst of it was hilarious.

The two tasks that America get to choose from are awful, though. Why not just silly, stupid pranks that would be entertaining to watch?

I kind of like the options (the second in particular). If accomplished, they can really change the game, for TA AND the other players. I think even the attempts and subsequent fallout can make a big difference. The kissing thing is easier and can be played off in more of a joking fashion, but the relative rumor will arouse suspicion and just juicy goodness if done well. I think those 3 are just the ones to handle these kinds of tasks, because they do sit and listen and get a good read on the others, so will possibly be more effective than any of the others would have. 

As for Zach's shirts, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of what he brought was taken away when he got there. I want to say Dan Gheesling posted a video of himself packing when he was going into the house the second time and he was trying to decide if certain t shirts with different logos would be taken away. He said the first time around a lot of his shirts he wasn't allowed to bring in. I'm assuming it has to do with licensing issues. I could see Zach as a logo tee guy so I bet his stuff was denied.

I think Caleb and Devin are both scary and it's not because of their size. They both seem like the type of guys who get upset at the idea of someone daring to think or do anything other than exactly what they want. They don't seem like the types to be able take this for what it is, a game. To bring up Dan again, he was a great player and schemed as he should but he'd be the first one to give someone credit for getting the best of him whereas Devin and Caleb seem like they'd get unreasonably mad. Combine that with the fact that they're both very controlling and it makes me feel uncomfortable. My husband's cousin is like that and he scares me too. The thing that makes me so uncomfortable about them is how delusional they both became being HOH. I know people get a bit of a power trip with it but they're acting like they will always have control of the house. The way Devin kept standing on the balcony and watching everyone creeped me out.

• Love 4

I believe that Amber is one of the people who said she was scared of Devin. I doubt that she is scared of him because of his race.

Devin is intimidating because of his size. His approach to the game is so scatter shot that people can be scared of what it is he is going to do next. He is unpredictable and thinks that he knows it all. He talks over people and makes people feel small. He ignores people who he doesn't think are important, like Amber in the HoH room conversation, he didn't even look at her when he kept going. So yeah, I can see where she would find talking to him intimidating and potentially scary. You don't know when he is going to go off on you or make you his next target because he decides he doesn't like you or end an alliance because you have the temerity to tell him that he is not respectful in how he talks to people.

His intensity combined with his physical size can be scary. We are not living with him 24/7 but imagine what it would be like to do so. I get the comments and I don't think that they are based on race but his intense personality, lack of understanding his thought process in making game decisions and physical size.

• Love 8

WHY is everyone in this house just bowing down and serving Devin??? It is truly mind-boggling. No one really likes him. Caleb was likely his closest ally in the house, and even he is getting fed up. Yet we have to suffer this constant ass-kissing, placating fuckery. I'm hoping it's just because he's HOH this week, and they turn on him next week. Because enough is enough. One guy should not run the house, especially one that people alternately hate/fear. 

Zach was the one voice of dissent and he totally mucked that up. He started digging his grave and just WOULD. NOT. STOP. His frantic fast talking was just shameful. I guess maybe he thought given the rumblings around the house he could speak up and others would join him, though? I was kind of pissed that it went down like that. Again, Devin is ONE guy. But I guess Zach just threw himself on the sword and no one wanted to join him. 

Good on Brittany for playing the parent card. It worked. Devin is an idiot, but good for her.

I'm fairly pleased with Team America. Love Donny, Derrick is cool, and Frankie is actually tolerable when he's not mugging. 

• Love 2
I wonder if Devin has any self-awareness at all.

I really don't think he does. Zach spoke up about preferring Paola out over Britanny, because that's how he really felt. Devin gets all disgruntled about it. But then later, when Zach is frenetically trying to get back in his good graces, Devin has a DR saying "that doesn't fly" when people just tell him what they think he wants to hear. So which is it???

So, it's not so much coded language on the HG's part as much as Big Brother letting its racism slip by only seeing one HG as scary?

That's my guess. I don't watch the feeds, but I read the feed thread from time to time. I get the impression that several houseguests have expressed some intimidation/concern over Caleb as well, but we're getting what CBS chooses to show us. I'm not in the house, so I just don't want to judge someone else's feelings. But I can see both of them being perceived as scary. Caleb is more of that silent, slow-burn type of scary - like you'd wake up and just find him watching you sleep. Devin is clearly a control freak and we saw him snap at Amber when she dared to speak about her own nomination. I see a lot of anger under the surface with him, especially when things don't go his way. 

• Love 3

It's easy to armchair this show and wonder why people don't say the most obvious thing that could've helped save them. But as opposed to a gameshow with time limits to answer a question, all they have to do in BB is think game. So there's really no excuse for some of the idiot moves that people make. For instance, Zach telling Devin that he'd rather keep Brittany because he likes her better than Paola. Afterwards, when Devin was upset about that, all Zach really had to do was say "Oh, I like Brittany better than Paola for personal reasons, but obviously I'll vote along with the alliance. Don't worry about it." It's as simple as that. You'd feed into Devin's power trip and he'd probably be grateful to see you kowtowing to him. Problem solved. So it was super frustrating to see him stumble around and act the fool and end up on the block.

But I'm really glad to see that pretty much everyone has come to the realization that Devin is a dangerous player who needs to go. Because I was afraid that another Bomb Squadder would win HoH and then not put him up and we'd have to endure another week of Devin acting like he runs the house even if he's not HoH anymore. I hate when people act that way. It just cracks me up that Devin is all "You should be honest in this game unless you're telling me something I don't like in which case, telling me the truth is the worst thing ever." And he's all about people keeping their word, except when it's him. I really can't wait for Thursday's pickup of the cliffhanger to watch what I presume to be Brittany selling Devin out by revealing that Paola threw the comp and is still on the block. Then Zach will get pissed and reveal the Bomb Squad alliance and everything will fall apart in a thoroughly entertaining way. LOVE IT!

And with the house in such chaos, I'm looking forward to not having a unanimous vote for a change (those really got on my nerves last season when everyone seemed incapable of thinking for themselves). Well, unless everyone decides that Pow Pow needs to be knocked right out of the house, which I can't argue with. :-)

• Love 2
(edited)

It's too bad everyone is feeling the way they are about Devin.  He's really a beautiful man and soft-spoken . . . until someone disagrees with him. He talks about how the alliance is everything but the next minute is saying how he wants all the power and looks really puzzled when someone doesn't agree with him and tells him so.

Caleb has the potential to be scary . . . especially with all we heard about "racism" and "homophobia" we heard about him at the beginning. I've only seen quite the opposite of that -- Devin and Frankie seem to be about his favorite people there -- except for Amber, of course.

They could easily do a remake of Cape Fear with Caleb in the Robert Mitchum/Robert DeNiro part.

Can't wait to hear the blow-up tonight.

I want  Pow-Pow gone . . . she tries to be all colorful and kooky and she's just as dull as she can be.

I'm really disappointed in Jocasta. I thought she would be good for lots of laughs with prayer meetings and the like. Maybe god will "speak" to her and she'll be ignited by the spirit and start handling snakes or something.

I couln't be any more disappointed in Team America. I thought they were goihng to be doing things that would really impact the game -- clever things -- they're just going to be annoying practical jokers

Edited by goodogcarl
  • Love 1
(edited)

I think Devin is scary and it has nothing to do with his race. I'm tired of hearing that actually. Devin is bigger than Caleb but it's not his size either that scares me. It's the way he talks at (not to) people. He is loud and gets right up in their face. And he talks over them and is very dismissive of anything they have to say and it's like he looks for reasons to get mad at people.

Edited by Runningwild
  • Love 5

WHY is everyone in this house just bowing down and serving Devin??? It is truly mind-boggling. No one really likes him. Caleb was likely his closest ally in the house, and even he is getting fed up. Yet we have to suffer this constant ass-kissing, placating fuckery. I'm hoping it's just because he's HOH this week, and they turn on him next week. Because enough is enough. One guy should not run the house, especially one that people alternately hate/fear. 

Zach was the one voice of dissent and he totally mucked that up. He started digging his grave and just WOULD. NOT. STOP.

Okay, but think of it this way.  If Pao goes out the door this week, then Devin almost automatically follows the next week (short of him getting himself off the block). Even the people on his "side" at this point seem like they're probably ready to drop him like a hot potato the moment he doesn't have any power.

I think Devin is scary and it has nothing to do with his race.

I have to disagree. Any judgments about Devin are going to have his race factored in, simply because we can't turn off our eyes. Devin is big, and Devin is black. Big black men = scary. It is the epitome of the angry black man stereotype.

As another poster commented, Devin is pushy. Devin is loud and rude and argumentative. But has the show ever shown him getting physical with anyone? Has the show ever shown him threatening anyone? I don't believe so, but because of his size -- and yes, his race -- he is seen as scary.

Look at that Hantz brother (Willie?) who actually chest-bumped someone and was ejected -- who actually was physical with someone. Nobody called him scary. Devin raises his voice a few too many times, and suddenly, people claim fear of him? That's crap, I'm sorry.

• Love 2

I too noted that Jocasta and the other dark haired gal (who calls herself a princess) were absent.  Caught a glimpse and thought - oh, yeah, they're in the house, too!

On BBAD, however, Jocasta had a nice long talk with Cody and she knows what's going on in the game, and not fooled by anybody.  She, Frankie and Brittany would be unstoppable if they joined forces.  I have no idea why she's not getting airtime, unless she has been purposely keeping her mouth shut and it's punishment because they hired her to be the brash, outspoken religious lady and she didn't deliver what they ordered.  

As another poster commented, Devin is pushy. Devin is loud and rude and argumentative. But has the show ever shown him getting physical with anyone? Has the show ever shown him threatening anyone? I don't believe so, but because of his size -- and yes, his race -- he is seen as scary.

I think that this can still make someone scary. Personally, I would have been scared of Willie if I had been around (and I think I remember Joe, who was the victim of that situation, mention that he had been scared). I don't think it should have anything to do with race. I would even be scared of someone like Caleb and I think, yes, physical appearance may play a part in that because it can be intimidating. I remember being scared about Amanda last season when she almost slammed the door right in Elissa's face. 

Devin is a bully, plain and simple. Everyone has said it now on the show, the women don't feel comfortable and even the men seem to not feel comfortable around him either. Just because he hasn't gotten physical (yet) doesn't mean he's not scary. Devin's emotional and impulsive, he's competitive and it's clear he doesn't understand when people disagree with him. He put up Zach for the sole reason that he disagreed with him about evicting Brittany (at least that's the impression given in the episode). Devin did that with Brittany last episode too, when she 'misconstrued' his house meeting. He thinks he can be in control of everyone and I wouldn't be surprised if he made implications of threats to the houseguests because that seems to be who he is.

Size or not, race or not, Devin is scary, he is a bully and he does need to go. Maybe race does factor in to it slightly, but it's only if people make it so. Amanda was the scary bully last year (as was Aaryn...ok maybe not that scary) and Devin (and even Caleb) happen to fill that role this season.

• Love 2
(edited)

I have to disagree. Any judgments about Devin are going to have his race factored in, simply because we can't turn off our eyes. Devin is big, and Devin is black. Big black men = scary. It is the epitome of the angry black man stereotype.

Look at that Hantz brother (Willie?) who actually chest-bumped someone and was ejected -- who actually was physical with someone. Nobody called him scary. Devin raises his voice a few too many times, and suddenly, people claim fear of him? That's crap, I'm sorry.

I agree that his race can't be ignored.

That said, his very own presentation of himself is to compare himself to someone who the public doesn't generally identify as black, Dwayne Johnson (although in actuality Johnson actually is mixed race (half black, half Samoan).

So is there a racial component to saying he's scary?  Maybe.  But again, one of the main people supposedly intimidated by him is Amber. Jocasta we have no idea about, but it seems like Jocasta is rarely in shot (on the broadcast show at least) with Devin, and there's really no way to know what that's due to (her having her own set of friends/allies, or her finding him odious and possibly intimidating--but either way nothing in either of their games has seemed to OBLIGE the two of them to ever talk anyway).  I'd say it's possible race has a part in why someone like Zach, for example, might be intimidated, but it's hard to say if that really applies equally to the whole cast.

As for Willie Hantz, I think it's inaccurate to say nobody was scared of him.  I think they definitely were.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1

It is the epitome of the angry black man stereotype.

I really don't think he is, because is shown as a more quiet controlling type.

I think Caleb is just as scary as Devin. They are both large (it's something about the muscles in their neck, I think)- they are both controlling, they are both dismissive of women (and other men...)

Caleb is white.

Yes, because only us parents know, as parents, what it's like to be parents. That was masterfully targeting the "I remember the last thing people say" brain of Devin.

Especially when the trivia question is as simple as "And what's on the back of a quarter?" But it was nice that Caleb can be creepy in many unexpected situations with his bald eagle story.

I couldn't be more let down about the pathetic options given to "Team America", just another wasted opportunity.

I just can't begin to imagine what he was trying to look up on YouTube that he stumbled on a video of a bald eagle pushing a mountain lion off of a cliff?

• Love 2

Devin is a "close talker" and with his size and the subject matter he's close talking about, that is intimidating if you're the one he's close talking to.  Look at Hayden and his body language when Devin was having his "don't worry, bro, we're keeping you safe" conversation with him.  Devin was telling him what he wanted to hear, and Hayden was happy (though confused) about that, but his body language screamed "I wanna get away!  I'm really uncomfortable here!  Please back off!"

• Love 1

I just continue to be amazed by what an idiot Devin is. Why on earth did he tell Brittany that Paola threw the BotB? Because he had to brag about being in control of everything - the house, all the players, the competitions, the nominations, all of it. His ego is so enormous he couldn't resist bragging what a masterful job he'd done manipulating the whole situation, and he's so damn oblivious it didn't even occur to him that he was throwing Paola under the bus and making two more enemies. Idiot.

What really worries me is that it's probably going to be very hard to get rid of him. He's proven he's good at competitions, even ones that really don't have anything to do with physical strength. One could argue the planets thing was really a mental competition - you had to work out the mechanics of balancing the various parts of the mobile. That takes brains, not brawn. So in a way, Devin isn't actually unintelligent. He's just not quite all there, mentally. He seems more delusional than anything else. Their best bet will be trying to back door him and hope like hell he doesn't get picked to play for Veto. They better do it soon, while there are still enough people in the house to better the chances he doesn't get picked.

I'm going to be really disappointed if Zach gets voted out. It happens every season, the one I like best gets booted out early. Never thought I'd feel that way about Zach but I think he's cute as a button and his odd relationship with Frankie is endearing to me. And for the first time, I did get a bit of a gay vibe from him, when he was in the storage room talking to Frankie, something about the inflection of his voice really pinged. 

Since Devin monopolized the episode I won't give him a lot of time here just want to say it's obvious this week is his last stand. There is are to many people that feel he's unstable and the house will be better off without him. Nothing can save him from back dooring now.

What I really want to post about is Victoria...after a couple prominent early episodes she has been reduced to a virtual background character...not even that but a extra in a crowd scene. She is litterally one step away from being Chuck Cunningham who went upstairs and was never seen or refered to again. If she goes into a Diary Room she may never come out again. Jocasta is fairing little better. I don't know if its the casting directors, the producers or Grodner herself but someone must be dissapointed in them because their non existant airtime is hard to ignore.

Meanwhile it looks like there aren't going to be any true showmances this year. Too many married people for one thing and I don't really see any sparks other than Caleb's one sided affair with Amber (he was so transparent trying to play the White Knight when he was throwing Devin under the bus to impress Amber)

Yeah, when I saw Victoria sitting at the POV I was like "who the hell is that?" then I was like "crap, I totally forgot about her!"

My daughter and I were talking about this and the idea of coded speech. He is not scary, IMO. He is annoying and abrasive and an over talker and self important and sometimes even tries to be intimidating, but not scary. Plus he has that idiot "bro" voice. Jeez. He got the right ones who sit up there quiet and let him talk real reckless, biding their time.  I will be so happy when he's gone. This backdoor better not backfire or fall along the wayside. 

Anyway, Zach is scarier to me. He gets really close and does all that bouncing and fidgeting. He seems like a snapper. I don't like all that movement when someone is agitated and really close to you. 

Exactly.  I don't think he is scary per se, but I think he is a dick.  Ugh, if the backdoor of him fails, he will become absolutely insufferable.

In this episode,  I felt the same about Cody. I was especially wondering about him in the Bomb Squad meeting upstairs.   The editing was really choppy for me as well.

Poor Paola.  I think she gets worse in every competition.

Paola would be palatable if she were even a little less annoying.  But man, she sucks at competitions and is annoying?  Ick.  I loved that Hayden said what I was thinking which was "Paola didn't throw anything, Paola just did what she normally does which was suck at competitions"

I think that this can still make someone scary. Personally, I would have been scared of Willie if I had been around (and I think I remember Joe, who was the victim of that situation, mention that he had been scared). I don't think it should have anything to do with race. I would even be scared of someone like Caleb and I think, yes, physical appearance may play a part in that because it can be intimidating. I remember being scared about Amanda last season when she almost slammed the door right in Elissa's face. 

Devin is a bully, plain and simple. Everyone has said it now on the show, the women don't feel comfortable and even the men seem to not feel comfortable around him either. Just because he hasn't gotten physical (yet) doesn't mean he's not scary. Devin's emotional and impulsive, he's competitive and it's clear he doesn't understand when people disagree with him. He put up Zach for the sole reason that he disagreed with him about evicting Brittany (at least that's the impression given in the episode). Devin did that with Brittany last episode too, when she 'misconstrued' his house meeting. He thinks he can be in control of everyone and I wouldn't be surprised if he made implications of threats to the houseguests because that seems to be who he is.

Size or not, race or not, Devin is scary, he is a bully and he does need to go. Maybe race does factor in to it slightly, but it's only if people make it so. Amanda was the scary bully last year (as was Aaryn...ok maybe not that scary) and Devin (and even Caleb) happen to fill that role this season.

I actually think I was scared of Aaryn for Candice.  More scared than Devin.  I think Devin is big and hulking, I think he has delusions of grandeur, I think he talks over people, but I honestly don't think he would hurt someone.  I thought Aaryn very possibly could have hurt Candice.  That girl was mean to the point of psychotic and for no reason.  And she had a case of crazy eyes, and actually did things like flip over a bed, whenever someone does something that shows that level of disgust and hate I think they are prime candidates to go off the deep end and try to cut someone.

• Love 1

Yeah Aaryn was scary. She was right in Candice's face and out of control.

I don't like it when people are standing in my personal space and talking to me in a polite fashion. I really hate it when someone is in my face berating me or talking down to me.

I don't think that Devin intends to scare anyone, which is very different then Aaryn or Willie. I am not sure that he realizes what he is doing. I think that he is someone who does not require as much personal space and so he doesn't see his intrusions as intrusions. I think Devin is smart, he knew to bring in Amber and Christine. He did well in the POV challenge. He is well spoken, outside of the bros thing but I think being in a house with a lot of people in their 20's who are trying to prove that they are cool leads to more of the bro stuff then normal.

I do think that Devin lacks social skills. He has mentioned not having many friends outside the house. He is impulsive in his decision making. He is a know it all. He does not like it when people tell him he is wrong. He internalizes all comments. So Zach's "I prefer Brittany" wasn't taken for a personal relationship between Zach and Brittany but as a challenge to his nominations. Caleb's honest conversation about how people are scared of him turns into a mini temper tantrum and no real understanding that Caleb is correct and Devin has screwed something up.

Combining all of this makes someone appear to be something that they are not. I would be very surprised if anyone was physically threatened by Devin but they can still be scared of his reactions to information or game play.

• Love 3

Yeah Aaryn was scary. She was right in Candice's face and out of control.

I don't like it when people are standing in my personal space and talking to me in a polite fashion. I really hate it when someone is in my face berating me or talking down to me.

I don't think that Devin intends to scare anyone, which is very different then Aaryn or Willie. I am not sure that he realizes what he is doing. I think that he is someone who does not require as much personal space and so he doesn't see his intrusions as intrusions. I think Devin is smart, he knew to bring in Amber and Christine. He did well in the POV challenge. He is well spoken, outside of the bros thing but I think being in a house with a lot of people in their 20's who are trying to prove that they are cool leads to more of the bro stuff then normal.

I do think that Devin lacks social skills. He has mentioned not having many friends outside the house. He is impulsive in his decision making. He is a know it all. He does not like it when people tell him he is wrong. He internalizes all comments. So Zach's "I prefer Brittany" wasn't taken for a personal relationship between Zach and Brittany but as a challenge to his nominations. Caleb's honest conversation about how people are scared of him turns into a mini temper tantrum and no real understanding that Caleb is correct and Devin has screwed something up.

Combining all of this makes someone appear to be something that they are not. I would be very surprised if anyone was physically threatened by Devin but they can still be scared of his reactions to information or game play.

ITA.  I'm a big devotee of personal space too, and I get uncomfortable real fast.  Even when the conversation is pleasant, I just don't like people all that close unless we're getting ready to do something...

I think Devin does take everything too personally, and it is what messes up his gameplay.  He put up Brittany, and wanted to get her out simply because he didn't like her.  Now its the same thing with Zach.  When Caleb told him what others in the house were saying (and trust me, Caleb is no saint) it was like they couldn't be friends because any disagreement means that you don't like Devin and now he must destroy you.  And for Devin to blow up the Bomb Squad while he is HoH is stupid, and a decision only made because one person said one thing to him about how he talks to people.  He can't be HoH next time, so this should be when he is trying to strengthen the Bomb Squad, not destroy it.

• Love 1

I really don't think he is, because is shown as a more quiet controlling type.

I think Caleb is just as scary as Devin. They are both large (it's something about the muscles in their neck, I think)- they are both controlling, they are both dismissive of women (and other men...)

Caleb is white.

And if you go by live feeds (without us going into details) Caleb is FAR scarier.

Trying to quote this post, not like it. Because I really get annoyed when people tell me I'm being racist and lying about being racist. I stated why Devin is scary. Again- nothing to do with the color of his skin. He uses his size to intimidate and bully people by getting as close to them as he can. He does get angry a lot. He uses any excuse he has to get angry at people. He's a bully, plain and simple. But I guess because he's black, I'm supposed to ignore all that and pretend he's not a creepy bully?

• Love 6