Type keyword(s) to search

Sanditon - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 4/25/2022 at 9:15 PM, treeofdreams said:

As to Charlotte's relationship with Colbourne, it was pretty much a repeat of what happened with Sidney.  Sidney was cold and rude to her at the beginning, and then they had one dance and both fell in love.  Colbourne was cold and closed to her at the beginning, then they had one dance and both fell in love. 

That!

I confess I hate that kind of plot. At least Colbourne behaved in the same towards everyone (except his servant who defended him like Darcy's housekeeper to Elizabeth) but Sidney had no reason to be cold and rude towards Charlotte (yeah, the woman he loved had married someone else but Charlotte was his brother's guest, so it was not too much to ask to show normal civility towards her). 

Edited by Roseanna
adding a word "not"
  • Like 1
On 4/28/2022 at 10:57 PM, treeofdreams said:

The only other possible option I could see that would work if, being engaged to Ralph, she came to appreciate him as a good, loyal, solid, caring husband-to-be, who doesn't think he is better than she is, and far more suited to her than Colbourne would have been.  If we look back at Colbourne's interactions with her, they were mostly negative, and he really seemed to be red-flag relationship material.  Perhaps when she sees him at the ball it puts the final nail in her desire for him, and she turns thankfully to Ralph as her happily ever after. 

I agree with you about Colbourne. When Sidney kissed Charlotte, he had sent his old love away and later intended to propose to Charlotte, but Colbourne was a cad to kiss the governess of his children without having any serious intentions.

As for Ralph, we haven't seen Charlotte and if he were her endgame, it would be very odd to introduce him in the end of season in such a way that they were already engaged. 

Instead, we saw Charlotte in the first season with Mr Stringer, the builder who wanted to become an architect. He never was anything than kind with her, even accepting with grace that she loved Sidney and not him. He was of course no gentleman and still too poor to support a family and but he was a talented and ambitious who surely could make his way in the world - and, most of all. he had a far better character than Sidney.

In many Austen's novels a sexy man such as Sidney is not to be trusted (Willoughby, Wickman, Henry Crawford) whereas such a man with a dark past like Colbourne belongs to novels of Brontë sisters.

• Like 2
On 4/29/2022 at 9:10 PM, norcalgal said:

Even given all this, when it comes to being afraid of rejection, didn't Charlotte explicitly tell him that his advances were welcomed (or something like that in the library scene when he "reset" their relationship back to employer-employee)?  So Charlotte was already giving him the go ahead to make their relationship romantic, but he didn't take her up on it...

Yes, Charlotte was quite willing. But as we saw later, she expected and believed that kissing meant something to him as it did to her. 

No doubt people flirted and kissed also at that time without serious intentions, but Charlotte isn't that kind of woman. That has been proved earlier with Stringer and now with Lennox. 

• Like 1
On 5/1/2022 at 2:36 AM, SusanwatchingTV said:

I think he was trying to protect her when he pushed her away, and in that last scene SHE is the one who pushes him away because she assumes that he just wants a governess. I'm convinced that he was actually there to say that he wanted her as his wife, but when she was cold he got cold feet.

Yes, the romantic hero is supposed to propose in this kind of situation, but in this show it was IMO left unclear what Colbourne motives were, especially as he acted only after his niece asked him to get Charlotte back.  

However, one thing was made clear: Charlotte said that she had believed she had feelings for him, but she knew now that she had made a mistake: she can't have those kind of feelings towards a man who doesn't respect her.

Colbourne interpretated that to meant that she doesn't love him, but her desperate crying afterwards showed that she still does. But after the way Colbourne had earlier treated her (apologizing his behavior as improper and dismissing her from work as governess and offering a six month's pay - a behavior that would have been OK if she hadn't loved him and believed that he also loved her), she had understood that love (meaning feelings and physical attraction) is not enough for the basis of marriage but there must also be other things.

I suppose that with respect she meant the way couples treat each other: are they kind, open, honest, generous, equal etc? So even if he had said that he loved him and proposed to her, it may be that it wouldn't be enough to change her mind. She just can't trust him to be a man to whom she can give her whole life.

Compare with Babington who said to Esther that he doesn't want anything from her, he just want her to be happy.        

Edited by Roseanna
clarifying meaning
On 4/15/2022 at 4:26 AM, Haleth said:

I’m sick of all the slimy men in this show - Edward, Lennox, and whatever Alison’s boyfriend’s name is - and all the clueless women. It’s really bad writing to have Alison and Charlotte in basically the same parallel plot, caught between two men with a secret that will blow it all up. (At least Alison learned the truth.)  

I think the three plots (Alison, Charlotte and Georgiana) were meant to be partly similar, partly different.

Alison was warned by her friends that she didn't know the guy at all, and the whole audience saw it at once (when she loved poetry, he said he loved too) and would have understood it even without the discussions of two officers.

Colonel Lennox was liked by characters but his character was fairly easily revealed to the audience by his way to make Tom Parker roll the dice, let him first win and then make him loose. And of course the revelation about Colbourne reminded of Wickham.

The artist was suspected by some here (congratulations!), but I must confess that I quite forgot that any man and especially poor ones who courts a heiress must be suspected as a fortune hunter if not proved otherwise as well as there was a sort of red flag in the beginning scene in Antigua (why did Sidney go there?)

Still one thing that I didn't like in Sidney was the way he treated Georgiana who was his ward - her father had trusted him to care for her but he only nursed his own sorrow for being jilted years ago by his love who married a wealthier man. Look at Charlotte now - she had experienced the same fate but she didn't treat others badly for that.         

• Like 1

Having seen the trailer for season 3, it seems pretty clear that Colbourne is the end game, and I am not surprised but I hate it. I hate his face, I hate his attitude, I hate everything about him. From the two seconds we saw of Ralph, he at least has looks on his side. And is a farmer, so has skills beyond moping and torturing wives with his boringness. 

• Like 4
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1
32 minutes ago, HappyHanna said:

Having seen the trailer for season 3, it seems pretty clear that Colbourne is the end game, and I am not surprised but I hate it. I hate his face, I hate his attitude, I hate everything about him. From the two seconds we saw of Ralph, he at least has looks on his side. And is a farmer, so has skills beyond moping and torturing wives with his boringness. 

I rewatched War and Peace the other day (version with James Norton and Lily James) .  I kept racking my brain wondering where I’ve seen the Tsar.  Turns out it was Colbourne.

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
On 12/14/2022 at 10:59 PM, HappyHanna said:

Yes - AC will be the 'end game'..... unfortunately. I accepted that long ago. But I won't be watching. 

• Sad 1

Where is everybody?   Really enjoyed tonight.  Like Georgiana & the Duke getting friendly to help each other.  Ralph is like a fish out of water, and Charlotte looks foolish for getting engaged on the rebound.  Worried about Amanda, Colborne's niece, with Edward, of all people.   Like the Priest's sister with the doctor!  Can't wait for week 2.

• Like 10
  • Applause 1

This was much better than I expected, although Giorgianna and the gay Duke's fake interest in each other for the purpose of driving away other suitors, to me, seemed too derivative of season 1 Bridgerton.
But then they squelched it with the return of the ne'er do well artist still trying to claim Georgianna's inheritance, which feels unoriginal. I thought that was all over. No? It's been a long time. Did I forget something?
Hopefully they'll do something a bit different with this old story too.

Rose Williams/Charlotte looks more like her fresh season 1 self than she did last season. This and all the other improvements might reflect the pandemic being mostly manageable now. 

• Like 5
  • Useful 1

It's so good to have Jolly Parker light up our screens once more! I've missed him :')

Everyone's starting out the episode telling little white lies and/or leaving out key bits of information lololol oh no

Solid episode.

Lady Denham running away to avoid Mr. Price had us laughing. What a sight.

Edward getting subjected to some...water torture treatment??? If only they had better water pressure. I was yelling at our TV when he and Augusta bumped into each other. Stay away from her!!!

Speaking of Augusta-she got a total wardrobe upgrade. A lot more color compared to last season. I like the contrast. Pairs well with her happier disposition.

That dance between Xander and Charlotte was super awkward-the actors did a great job conveying the awkwardness.

Almost didn't recognize the Artiste™ Mr. Lockhart without his plaid coat on lol. Ofc he had to make a dramatic entrance. 

Ralph is just kinda...there. a fish out of water. Clearly knows very little about Charlotte.

Edited by HoodlumSheep
  • Like 7

I feel bad for Ralph. He seems very sweet and is trying very hard, and shame on Charlotte for stringing him along when she’s clearly in love with someone else.

I don’t know what Georgina plans on doing to keep this charade going, unless she wants a loveless marriage to the Duke so she can continue having her independence without others trying to steal her money. I’m sure the Duke is just as likely to take her money and run for the hills.

Edward, stay far away from Augusta. I am rooting for the doctor and the pastor’s sister, and Georgina and Arthur’s friendship continues to be one of the highlights of this show.

• Like 12
  • Applause 2

At first I thought Charlotte and Ralph were married because they were traveling in the coach together unchaperoned..  It seemed really strange to me that she would be allowed to do that.

Colborne's house has been completely redecorated.   No longer dreary.  Painted beautiful colors and lots of white, etc.  How so, when they just arrived home?  It seemed odd too.

I agree with everyone that it was, overall, a great episode.

• Like 3
11 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Giorgianna and the gay Duke's

Is he gay?  I got the impression he was just a cad.  Wasn't he coming out of a prostitute's trailer when Georgianna saw him on the beach?

• Useful 1
53 minutes ago, HerkyJerky said:

Is he gay?  I got the impression he was just a cad.  Wasn't he coming out of a prostitute's trailer when Georgianna saw him on the beach?

No, it clearly showed he has finished fooling around with a man in those beach changing rooms.

• Like 8
  • Useful 1

*sigh* so it appears Colbourne is endgame. I was kind of hoping they'd bring back the cute builder/ would be architect for Charlotte. 

Do the whole "seeing a good guy with new eyes" thing. I like him for Charlotte in S1. 

Edited by sacrebleu
  • Like 7
  • Love 2

I don’t remember - why did the artist think he had a claim to Miss Lambes fortune from her father? 🤔

I was trying to remember this too. (I wish I could go back and watch the Season 2 episode in question, too bad you need PBS passport for it.) I think he was a cousin or something and claimed Georgiana wasn't entitled to inherit because she wasn't legitimate.

I guess the rule on this show is that everyone has to be paired up with someone so even Lady Denham has a new love interest, seemingly. Same for Dr. Fuchs. Will Mrs. Wheatley run off with someone too?

So, do we think Augusta is going to wind up with a reformed Sir Edward? I mean, if anyone could tame that man it would be her. Or do you think she might end up with Ralph once Charlotte ditches him for Colbourne?

It appears there are new potential love interests yet to be introduced so the pool will be getting a bit deeper anyway.

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
14 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

(I wish I could go back and watch the Season 2 episode in question, too bad you need PBS passport for it.)

I made a one-time, very small donation to PBS a few years ago and have been able to view everything I've wanted to see since then.
I just checked, and Sanditon S1.E1 loaded. 
🤷🏻‍♀️

31 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I guess the rule on this show is that everyone has to be paired up with someone so even Lady Denham has a new love interest, seemingly. Same for Dr. Fuchs. Will Mrs. Wheatley run off with someone too?

Jane Austen did a lot of pairing off too.

32 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

So, do we think Augusta is going to wind up with a reformed Sir Edward? I mean, if anyone could tame that man it would be her. Or do you think she might end up with Ralph once Charlotte ditches him for Colbourne?

No and no. 
Maybe at the end of the series/season, Augusta can represent Jane Austen in a flash forward in which she is still single and publishing books.

• Like 3
29 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

So, do we think Augusta is going to wind up with a reformed Sir Edward?

Is he reformed?  They would have to present me with much more evidence to even consider that likely.

I wish Charlotte hadn't returned engaged. So far there seems nothing wrong with her fiance other than him lacking sophistication, being less educated and lacking self-confidence. She is settling for him and unless they somehow villain him up it's not going to look good when Charlotte dumps him for Colbourne.

I wish they could have brought young Stringer back, I have liked him from the beginning of this story for her. But after this show was initially canceled Leo Suter got a leading role on Vikings: Valhalla.  Good for Suter but not so good for this show I believe.

• Like 10
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

It appears there are new potential love interests yet to be introduced so the pool will be getting a bit deeper anyway.

I'm surprised at the plot line of Augusta possibly becoming entangled with Edward. I think Colburne will be onto that quickly but it might allow for highjinks like Augusta planning an elopement. Where are the mother of Edward's baby and the baby? 

As for Ralph, it's soooooo obvious that Charlotte is not in love with him and is only using him because she has to marry someone, can't expect her parents to support her forever. Geez, now that Colburne is making googley eyes she should fess up to Ralph and send him off to fall in love more compatibly with one of her younger sisters who is probably already in love with him. He's a sweetheart and doesn't deserve Miss Seaside Resort Sophisticate looking down on his simple country farmer life. Let her marry and deal with Mr. Tormented Introvert.

Ah well, if I had my way then there'd be no drama!

Edited by RedHawk
Autocorrect is not my friend
  • Like 5
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 3
40 minutes ago, magdalene said:

She is settling for him and unless they somehow villain him up it's not going to look good when Charlotte dumps him for Colbourne.

Oh, I think he will graciously break up with her since she would never be satisfied being a farmer’s wife. Maybe he’ll end up with her sister.

I don’t dislike Colbourne as others do. I think the actor is rather attractive and since he quit brooding he seems like a good catch.

I don’t remember what scared Charlotte off to begin with. 

38 minutes ago, RedHawk said:

Where are the mother of Edward's baby and the baby? 

Yes!  What was her name?  Hopefully she is off living a wonderful life with her sweet husband.

Hope Augusta doesn’t fall for Edward. She seems too smart but I don’t know where they are going with this.

I also hope the duke continues to be a friend for Georgiana. 

• Like 5
49 minutes ago, magdalene said:

She is settling for him and unless they somehow villain him up it's not going to look good when Charlotte dumps him for Colbourne.

I'm afraid they're already trying to villain Ralph up. In that era, she'd have to be the one to break the engagement -- that was basically the plot of Sense and Sensibility, that the guy no longer wanted to be engaged to the girl he realized was a twit, but the man couldn't break an engagement without being a cad and she wouldn't break the engagement until he was disowned. But Charlotte looks bad if she dumps Ralph for another man. She'll have to have a reason to dump him. They're already making him look like an uncultured clod who knows nothing about poetry, and he's showing (perfectly understandable) signs of suspicion and jealousy about Charlotte not telling Colbourne she was engaged. I guess they could have him be understanding and offer to release her from the engagement because he can see she's not into him, but the way this show seems to roll, he'll probably end up doing something obnoxious to give her a good reason to break things off.

So, do we think Augusta is going to wind up with a reformed Sir Edward? I mean, if anyone could tame that man it would be her.

It would be interesting if he's initially on the make with her and up to his old caddish ways, but she's smart enough to figure him out, and he ends up actually liking her, with that being what finally actually reforms him. They seem to be trying to build some sympathy for him with all the torture he's going through, which suggests they're planning to eventually redeem him.

• Like 5
  • Useful 2

Lady Esther Babington received her happy ending in the Sanditon Season 2 finale, and it turns out that ending was final, as the character will not be back for the upcoming third season.

As reported by TVLine, Charlotte Spencer, who played Esther on the PBS period drama, will not be returning for Season 3. The news comes after the actress joined the cast of the new BBC/Paramount+ drama series The Gold.

Speaking to Decider, Sanditon showrunner Justin Young said, “I think where we leave [Esther] at the end of Season 2, she’s got everything she’s ever wanted. She’s happy, married, and now she has a child that she adores, so I think that’s the end of Esther’s story as far as I’m concerned.”

• Like 3
  • Useful 5
  • Love 1

I forgot that Esther took the baby to raise. What happened to the other woman, the baby's mother?

I didn't tune in until about 9:05 so I figured PBS ran a couple of minutes of "Previously on Sanditon" clips to get everyone up to speed but perhaps not? Did PBS run a marathon of S1 and S2 before S3 returned?

Edited by RedHawk
  • Like 2
47 minutes ago, RedHawk said:

I forgot that Esther took the baby to raise. What happened to the other woman, the baby's mother?

I forgot about this too. I can't remember who that woman was who had the baby, but did Esther agree to raise the baby and she went back to Babington?

• Thanks 1
  • Useful 1
3 hours ago, magdalene said:

. . . So far there seems nothing wrong with her fiance other than him lacking sophistication, being less educated and lacking self-confidence. . . . it's not going to look good when Charlotte dumps him for Colbourne.

Oh, but Ralph has already indicated he is not entirely happy with the engagement either:

• [LADY SUSAN TO RALPH] Charlotte tells me you have known each other since childhood.

• [RALPH] I have known and loved her my whole life, my lady.
    Although I confess, she seems quite a different person here in Sanditon. One I hardly recognize.

• [LADY SUSAN] For better or worse?

• [RALPH] It is not for me to say.

Ralph's response of "It is not for me to say" may have been an appropriate response in that setting, but Lady Susan (and we viewers) are not buying his tepid response.

And then:

• [TOM] Charlotte, you look quite spectacular! I hope you realize how lucky you are, Mr. Starling.

• [RALPH] Oh, I can't believe my good fortune. Although I can't say what use Charlotte will have for such finery in Willingden.

Tom is too self absorbed to realize the importance of Ralph's comment on Charlotte's wardrobe, but maybe Tom will happen to repeat it to Mary.

2 hours ago, Shanna Marie said:

In that era, she'd have to be the one to break the engagement -- that was basically the plot of Sense and Sensibility, that the guy no longer wanted to be engaged to the girl he realized was a twit, but the man couldn't break an engagement without being a cad and she wouldn't break the engagement until he was disowned. But Charlotte looks bad if she dumps Ralph for another man. She'll have to have a reason to dump him.

Ooo! I've got it! Since Charlotte's father is to blame for her being doomed to be a a farmer's wife:

• [CHARLOTTE] I've known Ralph all my life, and for my father, this was a foregone conclusion.

―meanwhile back at the ranch farm, it will turn out due to the weather, economy, livestock disease, etc., effecting both Charlotte's own family farm and Ralph's, Charlotte's father needs her to marry someone of wealth, and puts the kibosh on her marriage to Ralph.
And/or, perhaps Ralph needs to marry someone of more wealth.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

I don’t remember what scared Charlotte off to begin with. 

Oh, it was contrivance and misunderstandings, of course. Just like how he kept trying to talk to her at the party and kept getting interrupted. 

So, do we think Augusta is going to wind up with a reformed Sir Edward?

Is he reformed?  They would have to present me with much more evidence to even consider that likely.

I meant maybe Augusta will be the one to "reform" him. I thought it was hilarious after they were sizing each other up on the street, Mrs. Wheatley warns her to keep her distance. The exact opposite of what you should tell a teenager who has just taken an interest in the town's resident Bad Boy!

Also hilarious when the woman living in a hovel with four filthy children tells Charlotte "Pretty soon you'll be just like me!"

• Like 4
  • Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 5

I'd rather see independent Miss Augusta paired off with the gay Duke than that horrid Sir Edward.  I think they'd suit each other admirably.  And I'd rather see Lady Montrose with Sir Edward.  They're both scheming beasts and deserve each other.

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
6 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I was trying to remember this too. (I wish I could go back and watch the Season 2 episode in question, too bad you need PBS passport for it.) I think he was a cousin or something and claimed Georgiana wasn't entitled to inherit because she wasn't legitimate.

So, do we think Augusta is going to wind up with a reformed Sir Edward? I mean, if anyone could tame that man it would be her. Or do you think she might end up with Ralph once Charlotte ditches him for Colbourne.

Your memory jives with mine regarding Lockhart’s claim to Georgiana’s fortune.

As for Augusta, please please please show, don’t pair her up with Edward!  Right now, there’s nothing the show can do to convince me he’s truly reformed, and besides, he looks way too old for her (even though big male/female age differences was a common thing in that era). But I like the idea of Ralph and Augusta. 

5 hours ago, magdalene said:

So far there seems nothing wrong with her fiance other than him lacking sophistication, being less educated and lacking self-confidence. She is settling for him and unless they somehow villain him up it's not going to look good when Charlotte dumps him for Colbourne.

I wish they could have brought young Stringer back, I have liked him from the beginning of this story for her. But after this show was initially canceled Leo Suter got a leading role on Vikings: Valhalla.  Good for Suter but not so good for this show I believe.

ITA to all this, especially the part about Stringer. But alas, that ship ain’t never returning. Damn cancellation after S1.  I want to believe Stringer might have returned if the show had immediately been renewed, so they could have gone that route if Sidney/Charlotte was not Endgame.

4 hours ago, Shanna Marie said:

I'm afraid they're already trying to villain Ralph up. In that era, she'd have to be the one to break the engagement -- that was basically the plot of Sense and Sensibility, that the guy no longer wanted to be engaged to the girl he realized was a twit, but the man couldn't break an engagement without being a cad and she wouldn't break the engagement until he was disowned. But Charlotte looks bad if she dumps Ralph for another man. She'll have to have a reason to dump him. They're already making him look like an uncultured clod who knows nothing about poetry, and he's showing (perfectly understandable) signs of suspicion and jealousy about Charlotte not telling Colbourne she was engaged. I guess they could have him be understanding and offer to release her from the engagement because he can see she's not into him, but the way this show seems to roll, he'll probably end up doing something obnoxious to give her a good reason to break things off.

It would be interesting if he's initially on the make with her and up to his old caddish ways, but she's smart enough to figure him out, and he ends up actually liking her, with that being what finally actually reforms him. They seem to be trying to build some sympathy for him with all the torture he's going through, which suggests they're planning to eventually redeem him.

I agree on what everyone else says about Ralph.  Nothing wrong or bad about him, just that Charlotte has outgrown her village life and its ways. Her time in Sanditon and London has expanded her life experiences and way of thinking.

WRT the bolded, this would be an interesting plot but I still don’t want it to happen because of the age difference and I just don’t want Edward reformed. As of this writing, I can’t see how the Edward of S1-2 could realistically be portrayed as authentically reformed.

Oh, it was contrivance and misunderstandings, of course. Just like how he kept trying to talk to her at the party and kept getting interrupted. 

My memory is some of it was contrivance, but at first, when they were in the Colbourne house, when Alexander apologized for “taking advantage” of Charlotte, she flat out told him his advances were welcome (maybe not exactly those words but close enough). 
Then, when he came to see her at the Parker house ostensibly to tell her he wants a romantic relationship, she cut him off before he got to that part by saying she was returning home. So…the whole thing could have been avoided if Colbourne took Charlotte at her word that she was open to a non-governess relationship with him.  

• Like 5
8 hours ago, magdalene said:

I wish Charlotte hadn't returned engaged. So far there seems nothing wrong with her fiance other than him lacking sophistication, being less educated and lacking self-confidence.

His hat. His green hat is atrocious.

He is the best-looking guy on the show (since Theo James left), though.

Edited by NeenerNeener
  • Like 9
  • Useful 1

To those who think Augusta and Ralph should be a couple - he's a farmer, therefore, unsuitable for her.  Whereas Charlotte is the daughter of a farmer, so it is expected.  For Charlotte to rise in society and marry a Colborne type would rarely happen.  This show ignores all of that and has very modern sensibilities.

• Like 5
  • Useful 1

Maybe I had higher expectations but Charlotte is dull as dishwater so far.  Hardly any dialog, just gazing longingly at Colbourne (ugh) and submissively at Ralph (who is the best looking of the two).  I guess having spent time in "society" makes her too good for poor Ralph? I don't see her appeal at all.

I love Georgiana's spirit and I imagine finding her mother is the key to the future of the fortune. She and Arthur are so sweet together, quite the unlikely BFFs.

Lady Denham is a hoot.

• Like 4

As for Augusta, please please please show, don’t pair her up with Edward!  Right now, there’s nothing the show can do to convince me he’s truly reformed, and besides, he looks way too old for her (even though big male/female age differences was a common thing in that era).

Well, they are clearly interested in each other, so if they do not wind up together, the alternative is that Edward will victimize her somehow, and I do not want that for Augusta. I think she's way too smart for that - or at least I want to think so. I know they said she inherited a "small" fortune from her parents and that might be something Edward would go after, but he seemed taken with her before even knowing who she was.

Edward is still on the show, the writers clearly have something in mind for him instead of shipping him off somewhere last season, so either he gets reformed or he gets a final comeuppance like death or prison.

• Like 7
2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Edward is still on the show, the writers clearly have something in mind for him instead of shipping him off somewhere last season, so either he gets reformed or he gets a final comeuppance like death or prison.

I'll take 'Death or Prison' for 200 please!

• Applause 2
  • LOL 9
7 hours ago, Cetacean said:

Lady Denham is a hoot.

This show would be so much better if award winning septuagenarian actress Anne Reid had more lines and more screen time with physical comedy.

The bits with the doctor and the spinster sister of the cleric are amusing too, but more Anne Reid would be even better. IDK. Maybe she chose to stipulate limited numbers of shooting days?

Anyway, having been an Austen-aholic in my youth, the focus on the actors in their physical prime of life seems true to the genre.

• Like 5

I just loved it!!  I did not expect it to be as good as it was.  I enjoyed season 1 mostly for the Esther and Lord Babington plot lines.  Loved those two.  (Took me forever to notice that the actor playing Lord B, also played Gren on Game of Thornes) Theo James just did not do much for me.  But season 2, I enjoyed for the main plotline, Charlotte and Colbourne do it for me!  Loved the main plot but not Esther's as much.  For season 3 I feel like it is all coming together.  I like the Dr and the Vicar's sister, Lady Denham and the investor, Augusta and Edward?  I feel like the first episode set up the series really well and I look forward to lots of action, intrigue and passion!!

• Like 4
On 3/20/2023 at 3:07 PM, gingerella said:

I can't remember who that woman was who had the baby, but did Esther agree to raise the baby and she went back to Babington?

Clara is baby George's mother.  She left him in Esther's care in the S2 finale and went off in a carriage (not sure if we know where).  Esther was overjoyed to become a mother and we're left to presume she and Babington are off screen being a happy family.   As much as I disliked the route they took with Babington's absence in S2, Charlotte Spencer totally killed it as Esther.

I haven't finished the ep yet (all my favorite characters are gone, although I am still enjoying it), but I wouldn't hate a shout out about Esther/Babington and Alison/Fraser at some point this season.

• Like 7
  • Useful 1
10 hours ago, Doublemint said:

To those who think Augusta and Ralph should be a couple - he's a farmer, therefore, unsuitable for her.  Whereas Charlotte is the daughter of a farmer, so it is expected.  For Charlotte to rise in society and marry a Colborne type would rarely happen.  This show ignores all of that and has very modern sensibilities.

Remember that this show is based on a fragment of a Jane Austen novel that she never finished. In "Pride and Prejudice" Mr. Bennet is a gentleman farmer with five daughters and little money. I would say Charlotte's father is the same social status as Mr. Bennett so it wouldn't be unusual in Jane Austen's fictitious world for Charlotte to marry the much-wealthier Colbourne, who isn't nearly as wealthy as Mr. Darcy. 

And remember Elizabeth's famous words to Lady Catherine : "He is a gentleman; I am a gentleman’s daughter; so far we are equal."

5 hours ago, valen said:

The entire season is available on PBS Passport for anyone that would like to binge. It is $5 a month or $60 for the year. 

I was going to post this also. And if you get Passport ALL episodes are available now. Just remember please, no spoilers! 

• Like 3
19 hours ago, twoods said:

No one can beat the smolder that Theo James exuded, but I don’t mind Mr. Colbourne. I think him and Charlotte have decent chemistry so I’m on board.

Amen to the bolded!  And since Stringer can’t be the love interest, I will concede there’s chemistry between Charlotte and Colbourne.

11 hours ago, Doublemint said:

Sanditon has been doing that ever since S1.  I still recall others posting about Charlotte’s hair (often uncovered) and I myself posted that it was inconceivable that Charlotte visited Stringer in his house all by herself!!!  😮  no freaking way that would happen IRL

I hope the show pairs up Dr. Fuchs and the vicar’s sister.  She deserves some happiness, as it seems her brother takes her for granted and thinks of her in a condescending manner. I’m speculating that her life has been one of drudgery taking care of her ungrateful brother.

• Like 11