Type keyword(s) to search

Sanditon - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 3/20/2023 at 8:13 PM, NeenerNeener said:

His hat. His green hat is atrocious.

It's pretty bad but I imagine that it's historically correct for the time and his station.  I doubt a farmer wore a top hat.

Hopefully it will get better but right now Charlotte is the least interesting character to me.

• Like 4
3 hours ago, RedHawk said:

Remember that this show is based on a fragment of a Jane Austen novel that she never finished. In "Pride and Prejudice" Mr. Bennet is a gentleman farmer with five daughters and little money. I would say Charlotte's father is the same social status as Mr. Bennett so it wouldn't be unusual in Jane Austen's fictitious world for Charlotte to marry the much-wealthier Colbourne, who isn't nearly as wealthy as Mr. Darcy. 

And remember Elizabeth's famous words to Lady Catherine : "He is a gentleman; I am a gentleman’s daughter; so far we are equal."

I was going to post this also. And if you get Passport ALL episodes are available now. Just remember please, no spoilers! 

Yes, I realize all of that, but Charlotte's Father was never referred to as a "gentleman" or "gentleman farmer"  - does that mean Ralph is a gentleman too?   And, yes, the show takes lots of liberties in behaviors for the time period. Remember Miss Smith from Emma?  She married a farmer too - he was not a gentleman, just a regular type farmer, but Miss Smith was not an heiress, like Augusta.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Doublemint said:

Remember Miss Smith from Emma?  She married a farmer too - he was not a gentleman, just a regular type farmer, but Miss Smith was not an heiress, like Augusta.

There was some implication that Harriett’s parentage was in doubt (hence her still being at the school), and that a match with Mr. Martin was greatly advantageous for her, though less so for him. The only person who opposed the match was Emma, because Miss Smith becoming Mrs. Martin put them firmly in different social circles: “as much above my notice as beneath it,” meaning Mr. Martin wasn’t poor enough to need Emma’s charity but not high enough status to come to the same dinner parties. 

It’s quite probable that Charlotte’s marriage to Ralph could result in this same divide for her and the Parkers. Even without the complication of her obvious attachment to Colbourne, I imagine this is a hard reality for her to be facing.

• Like 6
14 hours ago, Doublemint said:

Yes, I realize all of that, but Charlotte's Father was never referred to as a "gentleman" or "gentleman farmer"  - does that mean Ralph is a gentleman too?   And, yes, the show takes lots of liberties in behaviors for the time period. Remember Miss Smith from Emma?  She married a farmer too - he was not a gentleman, just a regular type farmer, but Miss Smith was not an heiress, like Augusta.

My understanding is that a "gentleman" farmer is a man owns the land and does not have to personally "work" it. He can live off what it yields (and any other income like inheritance). Mr. Bennett does not work his land and I don't think Charlotte's father does, nor does Ralph, so society would consider them gentlemen on the lower rungs of the gentry.

Miss Smith's farmer husband in "Emma" might be more the sort of small farmer that Mr. Hayter is in "Persuasion". Sufficient acreage and income to be considered a gentleman but not enough to live the country lifestyle of the Musgroves. 

I don't think Charlotte marrying Ralph would change her relationship with the Parkers, although yes, she would not be seeing them as much. They don't snub Ralph now. Emma was puffing up her importance in being appalled at Harriet marrying the farmer in the same way that Mary Elliot Musgrove refused to visit her husband's cousins because she thought herself too far above them socially. Ralph does seem to be saying there won't be a lot of visits to Sanditon in Charlotte's married future, likely because they wouldn't have a lot of extra money to throw around on "vacations" -- not because they would be socially inferior to the Parkers and no longer welcome in their circle. 

And what is it Austen wrote about seaside resorts? One of her snobby characters made some remark about the social classes mixed there as they would never do "in town".

Edited by RedHawk
  • Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
38 minutes ago, RedHawk said:

And what is it Austen wrote about seaside resorts? One of her snobby characters made some remark about the social classes mixed there as they would never do "in town".

What Happens in Sanditon, Stays in Sanditon?

I watched this last night and was bored silly. Charlotte looks so forlorn and bored, and her betrothed is a bore. I don't remember the lady who took Char under her wing and was telling her she didn't envision Char's life to be that of a farmer's wife. Who was she again?

The whole will they or wont they with Char and Mr. Colbourne is growing old already. Just get together and carry on Show! Also, how is it that the painter scammer can lay any claim to Georgiana's inheritance? He is nobody, is he not?

ETA: I don't find it the least bit intriguing, flirty, humorous, or interesting to be attempting to set up a pairing between Edward and Augusta. Augusta is a spirited, witty, very intelligent young woman, whilst Edward is a misogynistic piece of shite. Why the show thinks this would interest viewers baffles me, especially in these times. It's not a story line that is needed, there is no amount of story telling that would prompt me to change my mind about Edward's character, or lack thereof. And to saddle a wonderful young lady with such a nasty character makes no sense. I can only think that somehow, Charlotte helps Augusta escape his clutches, and then she falls directly into Colbourne's lap, literally and figuratively.

Edited by gingerella
  • Like 6
  • Applause 2
3 hours ago, sharifa70 said:

There was some implication that Harriett’s parentage was in doubt (hence her still being at the school), and that a match with Mr. Martin was greatly advantageous for her, though less so for him. The only person who opposed the match was Emma, because Miss Smith becoming Mrs. Martin put them firmly in different social circles: “as much above my notice as beneath it,” meaning Mr. Martin wasn’t poor enough to need Emma’s charity but not high enough status to come to the same dinner parties. 

It’s quite probable that Charlotte’s marriage to Ralph could result in this same divide for her and the Parkers. Even without the complication of her obvious attachment to Colbourne, I imagine this is a hard reality for her to be facing.

Yes, you put it much better than I did, but this is what I was thinking too. There would most likely be a class divide if she married Ralph.

1 hour ago, RedHawk said:

My understanding is that a "gentleman" farmer is a man owns the land and does not have to personally "work" it. He can live off what it yields (and any other income like inheritance). Mr. Bennett does not work his land and I don't think Charlotte's father does, nor does Ralph, so society would consider them gentlemen on the lower rungs of the gentry.

Miss Smith's farmer husband in "Emma" might be more the sort of small farmer that Mr. Hayter is in "Persuasion". Sufficient acreage and income to be considered a gentleman but not enough to live the country lifestyle of the Musgroves. 

I think the difference is that Charlotte's father (like Mr. Bennet) owns his land. He does seem to work it himself -- well, hires hands to work it, but he doesn't lease it out for others to farm, or possibly does retain some land that he supervises the working of rather than leasing it all to others for them to farm. The farmer in Emma was a leaseholder rather than owning his land. As I recall, he was a tenant of Mr. Knightley, which is how Mr. Knightley could vouch for his character when chastising Emma for getting in the way of the possible marriage. Some of those leases are generational and are inherited like property. The same family might lease the same land for generations, so it was almost, but not quite, like owning land.

Charlotte would not have been invited for any of the stuff she's doing if she were merely a farmer's daughter. Her father owning the land he farms would make all the difference in her being able to run in any of those social circles.

I don't know that Charlotte marrying Ralph would change her status all that much. If they're willing to socialize with him now, they'd be willing to socialize with the couple after the marriage.

• Like 3
On 3/20/2023 at 4:13 PM, iMonrey said:

Oh, it was contrivance and misunderstandings, of course. Just like how he kept trying to talk to her at the party and kept getting interrupted. 

I meant maybe Augusta will be the one to "reform" him. I thought it was hilarious after they were sizing each other up on the street, Mrs. Wheatley warns her to keep her distance. The exact opposite of what you should tell a teenager who has just taken an interest in the town's resident Bad Boy!

Also hilarious when the woman living in a hovel with four filthy children tells Charlotte "Pretty soon you'll be just like me!"

I agree, Mrs. Wheatley shouldn’t have said a word, as this is the same Augusta who was so rebellious and petulant when first met. I have no thoughts that Edward will ever change. He’s only maintaining control because he’s dependent on auntie. Right, the way to reform a sadist is to apply daily torture and droning religious education-that’ll work to “rehabilitate” him, sure thing.

Edited by Daff
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 1

I have no thoughts that Edward will ever change. He’s only maintaining control because he’s dependent on auntie. 

Lest we forget, Esther was equally villainous back in Season 1, although we were eventually persuaded to believe it was because Edward was manipulating her. That does remove some of her own agency, however.

Esther was basically "tamed" by the relentless pursuit by Babington. 

I'm perfectly willing to accept that someone like Augusta could similarly manage to reform Edward. I certainly prefer that to seeing her hoodwinked and otherwise victimized by him. Been there, done that.

• Like 3
  • Useful 2
8 hours ago, gingerella said:

What Happens in Sanditon, Stays in Sanditon?

I watched this last night and was bored silly. Charlotte looks so forlorn and bored, and her betrothed is a bore. I don't remember the lady who took Char under her wing and was telling her she didn't envision Char's life to be that of a farmer's wife. Who was she again?

She is Lady Susan Worcester.  Charlotte met her in Season 1 at a masquerade ball. She quickly saw Charlotte’s feelings for Sidney, and became a bit of a confidante of Charlotte’s.  She is portrayed by real life Lady Frederick Windsor (Sophie Winkleman). Lord Frederick is the son of Prince Michael and a cousin to King Charles III.  She’s a charismatic actor IMO, and I find it refreshing that she was allowed to continue with her acting career after marrying into royalty  I guess being that far down in the line of succession to the throne has many advantages.  

Despite being disappointed that Esther wasn’t returning for season 3, I enjoyed this episode, although the writers really do throw in every trope available.  Now we have the secretly gay Duke who will use Georgiana as his beard.  And, the mustache twirling Edward is up to his old tricks.  I hope they throw us a curve by having Edward truly be reformed!

• Like 3
  • Useful 2
11 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I certainly prefer that to seeing her hoodwinked and otherwise victimized by him.

I would prefer they stay well clear of each other, but apparently that’s not going to happen, so I’ll hope for your theory.

• Like 2
23 hours ago, Shanna Marie said:

I think the difference is that Charlotte's father (like Mr. Bennet) owns his land. He does seem to work it himself -- well, hires hands to work it, but he doesn't lease it out for others to farm, or possibly does retain some land that he supervises the working of rather than leasing it all to others for them to farm. The farmer in Emma was a leaseholder rather than owning his land. As I recall, he was a tenant of Mr. Knightley, which is how Mr. Knightley could vouch for his character when chastising Emma for getting in the way of the possible marriage. Some of those leases are generational and are inherited like property. The same family might lease the same land for generations, so it was almost, but not quite, like owning land.

Charlotte would not have been invited for any of the stuff she's doing if she were merely a farmer's daughter. Her father owning the land he farms would make all the difference in her being able to run in any of those social circles.

I don't know that Charlotte marrying Ralph would change her status all that much. If they're willing to socialize with him now, they'd be willing to socialize with the couple after the marriage.

In the first season, Charlotte is shown hunting rabbit with a shot gun. I think the definitely work their own land.

• Like 2
38 minutes ago, valen said:

In the first season, Charlotte is shown hunting rabbit with a shot gun. I think the definitely work their own land.

I didn't recall that until reading your post! I think I thought, "Oh she's an early 1800s Katniss Everdene."

Even if her father doesn't work his land it might be a small property and there are 12 children to feed and clothe! An occasional rabbit would be welcome on the table though that sort of hunting is not usually the sort of skill one would imagine a young lady had acquired. Maybe she enjoyed hunting with her brothers.

I was startled when Charlotte mentioned 12 children. My mom is one of 12 so the size isn't unrealistic, I just had thought we learned before that she was the eldest (or eldest girl) of 5 or 6.  

• Like 1
On 3/19/2023 at 10:37 PM, shapeshifter said:

This was much better than I expected, although Giorgianna and the gay Duke's fake interest in each other for the purpose of driving away other suitors, to me, seemed too derivative of season 1 Bridgerton.
But then they squelched it with the return of the ne'er do well artist still trying to claim Georgianna's inheritance, which feels unoriginal. I thought that was all over. No? It's been a long time. Did I forget something?
Hopefully they'll do something a bit different with this old story too.

Rose Williams/Charlotte looks more like her fresh season 1 self than she did last season. This and all the other improvements might reflect the pandemic being mostly manageable now. 

Just FYI: Seasons 2 & 3 were filmed back -to-back during the pandemic.

• Like 1
  • Useful 6

Episode 1 down and I remain committed to disliking the end game of chipmunk cheeked Colburne. Ralph is more attractive and nicer. And also,  what is up with leonora's hair not having grown in months? Ugh, I see a lot of fast forwarding in my future.  

• Like 4
  • LOL 1
11 hours ago, HappyHanna said:

Episode 1 down and I remain committed to disliking the end game of chipmunk cheeked Colburne. Ralph is more attractive and nicer. And also,  what is up with leonora's hair not having grown in months? Ugh, I see a lot of fast forwarding in my future.  

As someone mentioned above, seasons 2 and 3 were filmed in one continuous go. Obviously, they amended Augusta’s look, but made no changes to Leo’s. I think she’s still wearing that same ridiculous outfit with the lace collar flouncing up her neck. At the very least, they could have tamed her hair and given her new clothes.

Edited by Daff
  • Like 2
19 minutes ago, Daff said:

At the very least, they could have tamed her hair and given her new clothes.

How long was Charlotte gone, was that mentioned?  If a short while, it would make sense that Leo hasn't changed any.  She always looked so unkempt.

• Like 3
38 minutes ago, Cetacean said:

How long was Charlotte gone, was that mentioned?  If a short while, it would make sense that Leo hasn't changed any.  She always looked so unkempt.

I took the season 3 opener to be the next “resort by the sea” season. So maybe 9-10 months? Most of the characters were wearing capes/coats, with a few exceptions, that kind of made me wonder, but certainly not warm enough yet for swimming in the ocean.

On 3/22/2023 at 3:48 PM, iMonrey said:

Lest we forget, Esther was equally villainous back in Season 1, although we were eventually persuaded to believe it was because Edward was manipulating her. That does remove some of her own agency, however.

Esther was basically "tamed" by the relentless pursuit by Babington. 

I'm perfectly willing to accept that someone like Augusta could similarly manage to reform Edward. I certainly prefer that to seeing her hoodwinked and otherwise victimized by him. Been there, done that.

I don't know if I'd consider S1 Esther and Edward equally villainous, but then I really, really dislike his character.  But even if we call them even in S1, the writers then doubled-down on Edward in S2 and he very nearly got Esther committed to an asylum after gaslighting and drugging her, at a time when she was at her most vulnerable, mourning the loss of a child and being told she'll never conceive.  I'm having trouble seeing him as anything other than a vile human being.  Had he been absent from S2, I might have bought a redemption this season; but after S2, he could save puppies and kittens and fair maidens galore, but I won't buy it.  I so prefer they don't go there with Augusta.  And if they do redeem Edward, what happens with his child with Clara, who is now being raised by Esther and Babington?

I don't have strong feelings about Charlotte and Colbourne, but I did figure him for endgame as soon as the military guy from last season appeared the least bit shady.  The actor playing Colbourne just doesn't do anything for me.  Ralph seems perfectly nice, but I think there's zero chance he'll actually end up with Charlotte

• Like 4
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, JenMD said:

don't know if I'd consider S1 Esther and Edward equally villainous, but then I really, really dislike his character.  But even if we call them even in S1, the writers then doubled-down on Edward in S2 and he very nearly got Esther committed to an asylum after gaslighting and drugging her, at a time when she was at her most vulnerable, mourning the loss of a child and being told she'll never conceive.  I'm having trouble seeing him as anything other than a vile human being.  Had he been absent from S2, I might have bought a redemption this season; but after S2, he could save puppies and kittens and fair maidens galore, but I won't buy it.  I so prefer they don't go there with Augusta.

In this 3.1 episode, Edward’s eye rolls behind the backs of Lady Denham and Reverend Hankins at least tell us that at this point he is not serious about having himself redeemed beyond outward acts necessary to weasel his way into an inheritance. 
Edward seems to be modeled after Austen’s character of wicked Wickham of Pride and Prejudice
This makes Augusta seems headed for an unfortunate situation of getting involved with the irredeemable Edward much like Lydia Bennet in Pride and Prejudice
But I hope Augusta’s character arc will instead end more like that of Sense and Sensibility’s Marianne Dashwood, who is rescued from ruin by the equally wicked Willoughby.

However, I would really prefer Augusta not get married off to anyone.

• Like 6

Can anyone here help me?  There was a website where someone (not here on Primetimer) wrote reviews of each episode.  I think the reviews were vaguely associated with the PBS website in some way….?  
1) is that person still doing Sanditon reviews?

2) If yes, can someone send me the link?

8 minutes ago, norcalgal said:

Can anyone here help me?  There was a website where someone (not here on Primetimer) wrote reviews of each episode.  I think the reviews were vaguely associated with the PBS website in some way….?  
1) is that person still doing Sanditon reviews?

2) If yes, can someone send me the link?

Just google PBS Sanditon recaps.  

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

Edward seems to be modeled after Austen’s character of wicked Wickham of Pride and Prejudice
This makes Augusta seems headed for an unfortunate situation of getting involved with the irredeemable Edward much like Lydia Bennet in Pride and Prejudice

But Wickham ended up bound to the silly, childish Lydia. Augusta is the same age but much more mature. I hope she’s smart enough to see through his schemes. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

3.2 thoughts:

The hand touching!!!!! My mom and I were laughing thru that scene. Charlotte and Xander are a pair of awkward beans. Soooo many longing glances. Lol. They're both human disasters.

Jolly Parker and the Duke seem to be heading towards something. Arthur deserves the world and more so I hope he gets his happy ending. And the duke's sis seems nice enough. I liked how she was up for the challenge vs the two girls. Even tho it's obviously not going to work out for her with Colbourne, I feel like she has the potential to be a pretty cool friend. Too bad we've gotten so little of her so far.

I find myself yelling at the TV everytime we get an Edward/Augusta scene. Make it stop, please 😭.

Sam Colbourne seems like a charmer.

The fact that they've had like 2 days to prepare for this court matter has me worried for Georgiana though. Practically zero time for prep for Sam.

Rooting for Miss Hankins and the doc!

• Like 6
  • Applause 1

That scene between Mr Price & Lady Denham snapped me right back to my favorite duet in Gigi: “I Remember it Well”, sung ever-so-memorably by Maurice Chevalier and Hermione Gingold in the 1958 film.  I include a verse here because it may as well have been playing in the background during their quarrelsome reminiscing:

Maurice: That carriage ride!
Hermione: You walked me home.
M: You lost a glove!
H: I lost a *comb.
M: Ah yes! I remember it well.

• Like 10
  • LOL 2
  • Love 4

Well, well, well, Lady Clairmont and Colbourne's brother, I like them. The King is a moron for dumping her. It's how these things usually went but I really like her so I have hopes. 

Are they setting up Colbourne's niece and Edward as a real thing? is it going to be a dastardly elopement? Edward can't possibly hope that Colbourne would consent to a match.

• Like 5
5 hours ago, magdalene said:

Are they setting up Colbourne's niece and Edward as a real thing? is it going to be a dastardly elopement? Edward can't possibly hope that Colbourne would consent to a match.

Edward might assume if he manages to impregnate Augusta, they’ll get married, and he’ll be financially set for life. 
I hate this plot, but it is Austen-esque. 
Or maybe Colbourne will offer Edward a cash lump sum to go away forever, and we’ll hear how he gambled it away — an equally odious plot.

And are we supposed to think if there was still a governess living there who was as sharp as Charlotte or Lydia Montrose, that Augusta would not be having walks alone with Edward? I’m having a difficult time imagining Mrs. Wheatley didn’t notice.

Meanwhile, Lady Susan Claremont has been ill used by the king, while Georgiana’s wealth and future hang in the balance, and Charlotte is still unhappily engaged. Jane Austen did write from a feminist perspective of women’s lack of self-determination, but I’m not sure she’d approve of having all of her tragic female characters show up on the same stage.

Even the famous opera singer who is depicted as an admirably strong, independent woman for her time, struggles with opportunities because of her race.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 1

I hope Augusta is smart enough to not get involved with Edward.  Hasn't she heard what a cad he is?  Or maybe she'll be the one to reform him?  Not likely.

I like that the duke is not a villain but is turning out to be a friend to both Charlotte and now Arthur.  (Shouldn't the duke be surrounded by more pomp, even if he is penniless?  Shouldn't everyone be treating him with more formality?  I mean, he's a duke.)

Georgiana is really pretty rude to everyone she meets.

• Like 5

Do we know whether Lady Denham loved her late husband? 
It sounds like she and Rowleigh Pryce were in love in their youth but perhaps the relationship was sabotaged? They each remember it differently — as if they were each misdirected to stand up the other? Or maybe just a simple misunderstanding of the day they were to meet?

Regardless, Rowleigh Pryce seems to be ignorant of the consequences of tearing down the homes of the local workers and trades people in order to build a fancy hotel. Tom Parker should know better by now, but…?

I want to root for the two old love birds of Lady Denham and Rowleigh Pryce, but they’re both kind of odious.  

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 1

Didn't Lady Denham mention him (Rowleigh Price) in a conversation with Esther about love and how the man she loved dumped her for money? I appreciate that bit of continuity, even if this season seems to be trying to force in happily ever afters for everyone for no reason.  

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
8 hours ago, voiceover said:

That scene between Mr Price & Lady Denham snapped me right back to my favorite duet in Gigi: “I Remember it Well”, sung ever-so-memorably by Maurice Chevalier and Hermione Gingold in the 1958 film.  I include a verse here because it may as well have been playing in the background during their quarrelsome reminiscing:

Maurice: That carriage ride!
Hermione: You walked me home.
M: You lost a glove!
H: I lost a *comb.
M: Ah yes! I remember it well.

Yes, I thought of this too.

• Like 1

Doesn't it seem odd that Georgiana and Charlotte are going to London unchaperoned?   In real life, Mary Parker would have to accompany them.  If the lawyer is worried about her reputation being questioned in court, wouldn't  this be avoided?    But in the show, Mary would be in the way, and the girls couldn't have private conversations with the two Colborne brothers.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

Please tell me that the entire season won't be Charlotte and Zander exchanging dopey, longing, slightly constipated looks.  It's boring as all get out.

I foresee a Gretna Green (a la Price and Prejudice) scenario with Augusta and the Dastardly Edward.

• LOL 1

Did we already know that Lady Clairmont was the King's mistress?

You could tell that singer wasn't really an American. Not all Brits can do convincing American accents. They tend to over exaggerate the hard "r" and end up sounding like pirates.

All this mooning between Charlotte and Colbourne is tedious, I'm so sick of it.

4 hours ago, Haleth said:

Agreed. Every lawyer in England turned down her case, and when one of them rode all the way out to Sanditon to offer her his services she acted like she would be doing him a favor to hire him and had to audition him first.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Not all Brits can do convincing American accents. They tend to over exaggerate the hard "r" and end up sounding like pirates.

🤣

4 hours ago, Haleth said:

7 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Agreed. Every lawyer in England turned down her case, and when one of them rode all the way out to Sanditon to offer her his services she acted like she would be doing him a favor to hire him and had to audition him first.

It's been a while, but didn't Georgiana learn from the best? Sidney was pretty rude, IIRC.

• Applause 1
  • LOL 2
13 hours ago, voiceover said:

That scene between Mr Price & Lady Denham snapped me right back to my favorite duet in Gigi: “I Remember it Well”, sung ever-so-memorably by Maurice Chevalier and Hermione Gingold in the 1958 film.

I thought it was reminiscent a little too much. A too obvious copy.

1 hour ago, Cetacean said:

Please tell me that the entire season won't be Charlotte and Zander exchanging dopey, longing, slightly constipated looks.  It's boring as all get out.

I foresee a Gretna Green (a la Price and Prejudice) scenario with Augusta and the Dastardly Edward.

I have loved the other seasons, but yes, I'm sick of these two exchanging glances. Maybe moreso since, forgetting why they did not end up together last season, I searched the internet for a recap but instead got the showrunner saying "well, if Charlotte finds love, the show will be over." So I'm sitting there wondering whether this is the last season, so they will get together, or not, so Charlotte will again be "unlucky in love." Gets a bit annoying to be teased this way.

When Colbourne turned down Edward's request, I called out "To Gretna Green!!" Austen's favorite trope. 

On 3/21/2023 at 1:39 PM, valen said:

The entire season is available on PBS Passport for anyone that would like to binge. It is $5 a month or $60 for the year. 

Not the entire current season, I'm afraid. They've only got the first two episodes if you sign up thru Amazon Prime, same as watching PBS.

3 hours ago, Cetacean said:

Please noooooo!  I hope that Augusta is too smart and mature not to fall for his dubious charms. So maybe he’s the first guy to woo/flatter her, but I still can’t believe she’d overlook his horrible history just because he’s the first guy to tell her she’s pretty. Please no Show, don’t do it!  And besides, the age gap (shudder). she looks 17/18 compared to his 30 something 

3 hours ago, iMonrey said:

You could tell that singer wasn't really an American. Not all Brits can do convincing American accents. They tend to over exaggerate the hard "r" and end up sounding like pirates.

Yeah, the entire time the singer was talking, mentally I was telling myself her American accent was not good.

And co-signed on Georgiana acting so haughty, superior and condescending towards someone who traveled far away (no high speed rail or 200 horsepower available) to help her. 
wonder what the story is with the Colbourne brothers.  Hopefully, Show will explain soon. 

• Like 4
1 hour ago, NeenerNeener said:

Not the entire current season, I'm afraid. They've only got the first two episodes if you sign up thru Amazon Prime, same as watching PBS.

It’s all available on PBS Passport (which you subscribe to through PBS), but if you subscribe to PBS Masterpiece through Amazon, you get the episodes 1 week at a time.

I watched the entire season last weekend (no spoilers, I promise).

• Like 3
  • Wink 1
  • Thanks 1
42 minutes ago, sharifa70 said:

It’s all available on PBS Passport (which you subscribe to through PBS), but if you subscribe to PBS Masterpiece through Amazon, you get the episodes 1 week at a time.

I'll have to try that way. Amazon is supposed to give me a refund for PBS Masterpiece since I canceled it 15 minutes after I signed up for it.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, sharifa70 said:

I watched the entire season last weekend (no spoilers, I promise).

Ditto. I always contribute to our PBS station so have had Passport for years.

I have to double check every posting to make sure I don't slip and spoil something!

I love these weekly recaps from WGBH!  Hilarious.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
7 hours ago, iMonrey said:

id we already know that Lady Clairmont was the King's mistress?

Yes, Tom was hopeful that her attending the regatta back in S1 would put Sanditon on the map if the then Prince Regent and/or her other high society friends attended.

• Like 1

Regarding the singer:  She's an actress - not a singer.  The singing was done by someone else and certainly not world class level.

Samuel is the older brother - not Zander.  I found this out on a PBS email that I signed up for.  That would, maybe, explain why he was chatting up the older Susan at the evening entertainment.  It doesn't explain why he is not the heir and the younger Zander has the estate.   This is something major, I hope it's explained.

• Like 2
  • Useful 3

Regarding the singer:  She's an actress - not a singer.  The singing was done by someone else and certainly not world class level.

Yeah, her speaking voice sounded like she was a pack-a-day smoker. Her singing voice did not match at all.

Samuel is the older brother - not Zander.  I found this out on a PBS email that I signed up for.  That would, maybe, explain why he was chatting up the older Susan at the evening entertainment.  It doesn't explain why he is not the heir and the younger Zander has the estate.   This is something major, I hope it's explained.

It's possible Zander earned his fortune by himself rather than inheriting. Clearly they were both raised in a comfortably wealthy family if Samuel was able to afford law school.  We don't know if their parents are alive either.

18 minutes ago, Doublemint said:

I hope Show explains why the younger brother seems to have inherited the family home, because we all know that’s not how it worked IRL back then. 
And I’m all for Lady Susan and brother Colbourne being romantically involved. They seem like a great pairing.

• Like 2