Type keyword(s) to search

Sanditon - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 3/22/2023 at 2:17 PM, Shanna Marie said:

I think the difference is that Charlotte's father (like Mr. Bennet) owns his land. He does seem to work it himself -- well, hires hands to work it, but he doesn't lease it out for others to farm, or possibly does retain some land that he supervises the working of rather than leasing it all to others for them to farm. The farmer in Emma was a leaseholder rather than owning his land. As I recall, he was a tenant of Mr. Knightley, which is how Mr. Knightley could vouch for his character when chastising Emma for getting in the way of the possible marriage. Some of those leases are generational and are inherited like property. The same family might lease the same land for generations, so it was almost, but not quite, like owning land.

Charlotte would not have been invited for any of the stuff she's doing if she were merely a farmer's daughter. Her father owning the land he farms would make all the difference in her being able to run in any of those social circles.

I don't know that Charlotte marrying Ralph would change her status all that much. If they're willing to socialize with him now, they'd be willing to socialize with the couple after the marriage.

I do think Charlotte's family works the land. In the very first episode she is hunting a rabbit with a shotgun. No one in Pride and Prejudice was doing that.

• Like 1
On 3/27/2023 at 7:25 AM, HappyHanna said:

Didn't Lady Denham mention him (Rowleigh Price) in a conversation with Esther about love and how the man she loved dumped her for money? I appreciate that bit of continuity, even if this season seems to be trying to force in happily ever afters for everyone for no reason.  

Yes! She even mentioned him by name. I really like the continuity of that. Charlotte also discusses Ralph several times early on in S2. She mentions that her father really wants her to marry him but she does not. Part of why she comes to Sanditon in S2 is to escape the pressure to marry Ralph. Allison is also not a fan of the idea.

On 3/27/2023 at 12:02 PM, smartymarty said:

I thought it was reminiscent a little too much. A too obvious copy.

I have loved the other seasons, but yes, I'm sick of these two exchanging glances. Maybe moreso since, forgetting why they did not end up together last season, I searched the internet for a recap but instead got the showrunner saying "well, if Charlotte finds love, the show will be over." So I'm sitting there wondering whether this is the last season, so they will get together, or not, so Charlotte will again be "unlucky in love." Gets a bit annoying to be teased this way.

When Colbourne turned down Edward's request, I called out "To Gretna Green!!" Austen's favorite trope. 

They announced when they started filming S2 that S3 would be the last.

On 3/27/2023 at 2:26 PM, NeenerNeener said:

Not the entire current season, I'm afraid. They've only got the first two episodes if you sign up thru Amazon Prime, same as watching PBS.

I watched them all on Passport the night it was released.

(edited)
On 4/3/2023 at 3:19 PM, quarks said:

Not going to lie: as of right now, I'm mostly here for Arthur and the Duke, hoping that these two crazy guys can get past the pheasant metaphors and go live happily ever after in the Duke's castle, preferably with only limited visits from the Duke's mother.

Since the script has already wandered beyond early 19th century norms, and this is the last season of Sanditon, I wouldn't mind a spinoff featuring Arthur and the Duke. They could move to London and solve crimes! ;-)

I like the Duke's sister and his mother is entertaining so they could be recurring characters. The Tom Parkers could make an occasional cameo appearance. A happily married Georgiana and Otis (I'm sure this is where the show is going) would often drop in for tea.

Edited by RedHawk
Words missing
  • Like 1
  • LOL 2

Could someone please remind us what Otis has done before?  I think he and Georgiana were interested in each other long ago, but I don't remember what happened.

• Like 1
(edited)
12 minutes ago, Driad said:

Could someone please remind us what Otis has done before?  I think he and Georgiana were interested in each other long ago, but I don't remember what happened.

Otis and Georgiana were in love in season 1, but Sidney did not approve, so he separated them. Otis came to Sanditon and Charlotte helped Georgiana and Otis meet secretly. Then, Georgiana was kidnapped. It turns out that Otis liked to gamble. He would often brag about his beautiful and rich girlfriend. The people he thought were his friends were not, and they kidnapped Georgiana and tried to whisk her away to Scotland so one of them could marry her and have access to her fortune. Apparently, you don't need a guardian's approval to marry in Scotland. Charlotte and Sidney chased them down and saved her. Otis had gambling debts, but he swore he never used Georgiana for anything or promised anyone her fortune. He was just really proud of his hot girlfriend. She dumped him. I think she believed him, but it was A LOT.

That trip to London is the one people talk about where Sidney yelled at Charlotte and was so horrible to her. It is also the one they refer to in S3 episode 1 when Ralph is shocked to hear that Charlotte has been to London before. She never told him about Sidney or Colbourne.

Edited by valen
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 5
  • Useful 6
2 hours ago, valen said:

Otis and Georgiana were in love in season 1, but Sidney did not approve, so he separated them. Otis came to Sanditon and Charlotte helped Georgiana and Otis meet secretly. Then, Georgiana was kidnapped. It turns out that Otis liked to gamble. He would often brag about his beautiful and rich girlfriend. The people he thought were his friends were not, and they kidnapped Georgiana and tried to whisk her away to Scotland so one of them could marry her and have access to her fortune. Apparently, you don't need a guardian's approval to marry in Scotland. Charlotte and Sidney chased them down and saved her. Otis had gambling debts, but he swore he never used Georgiana for anything or promised anyone her fortune. He was just really proud of his hot girlfriend. She dumped him. I think she believed him, but it was A LOT.

That trip to London is the one people talk about where Sidney yelled at Charlotte and was so horrible to her. It is also the one they refer to in S3 episode 1 when Ralph is shocked to hear that Charlotte has been to London before. She never told him about Sidney or Colbourne.

Thanks for the Otis recap, @valen. I still feel like Otis was responsible for Giorgiana being kidnapped. 
I am hoping when she said how much she had thought of him that it was mostly to make him feel guilty rather than to rekindle their relationship, but, alas, it seems chastisement is not the intent. 

I was glad she threw Otis' address into the fire. Hopefully that doesn't just mean she's memorized it and didn't want it discovered. 

• Like 3
(edited)
6 hours ago, valen said:

I’m pretty sure Charlotte told Ralph about Colbourne. When the two men met at Georgiana’s birthday party this season, didn’t Ralph make a remark to Charlotte something like “he’s not as mean as you made him see”?  

4 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Thanks for the Otis recap, @valen. I still feel like Otis was responsible for Giorgiana being kidnapped. 
I am hoping when she said how much she had thought of him that it was mostly to make him feel guilty rather than to rekindle their relationship, but, alas, it seems chastisement is not the intent. 

I was glad she threw Otis' address into the fire. Hopefully that doesn't just mean she's memorized it and didn't want it discovered. 

that line rang false to me.  I never got the feeling Georgiana thought about Otis all the time.  

Edited by norcalgal
  • Like 1
(edited)

My gut tells me that Charlotte and Ralph will have a reckoning where it comes to light that Ralph is really in love with Charlotte's sister, et voila! All is righted and Char can go off with Xander. However this will never be as satisfying as if she'd actually been with Sidney...Theo James is so damn handsome.

Edited by gingerella
  • Like 3
18 hours ago, gingerella said:

My gut tells me that Charlotte and Ralph will have a reckoning where it comes to light that Ralph is really in love with Charlotte's sister, et voila! All is righted and Char can go off with Xander. However this will never be as satisfying as if she'd actually been with Sidney...Theo James is so damn handsome.

Out of 12 children there just has to be another Heywood sister for Ralph, right? 

• Like 4
  • LOL 4

3.4 thoughts:

Tom needs to be decked in the face for that "u r no businessman" comment @ Mary.

How many times have you nearly led your family to ruin with your oh-so amazing business skills, Tom? Twice now? Thrice?

Georgiana forgetting about her own sugar boycott 😬

Does 5000/yr seem a little low for someone of Augusta's standing? Or is that about right?

Edward pulled a Mr. Wickham. blergh. U snake.

Miss Hankins and the doc :'( let them be happy.

Arthur not having many good reasons to be Jolly this season hurts my soul. :'(

Edited by HoodlumSheep
  • Like 12
  • Applause 1

Arthur and The Duke made me feel as if a rug was pulled out from under me.  From giddy joy to resignation in less than an hour.  (Although, was that comment that The Duke's sister gave about "getting around their mother" a hint on her own orientation?)

Unless Edward saves the lives of a wagon full of nuns, I see no redemption towards him.  Poor Augusta - resigned to the Lydia storyline.

Oh, and!  The Littlest Colburne is my favorite - she'd be embraced for her gender-defying ways in our time, but having a Cool Uncle to spar with will have to do.  

• Like 6

Ugh. A dizzying array of mismatches and failed proper matches!

Lady Susan, if matchmaking is your avocation, you’re asleep at the wheel!

And how did Lady Denham ever arrive at a grand old age with her fortune intact if she is the sort to marry old Rowleigh Price without first ascertaining that he hasn’t frittered away his own fortune?

• Like 6
1 hour ago, HoodlumSheep said:

Does 5000/yr seem a little low for someone of Augusta's standing? Or is that about right?

500 a year was about 42,000 in that period. 5000 a year means Augusta is filthy rich.

To compare....

“The Writer's Guide to Everyday Life in Regency and Victorian London,” Kristine Hughes says that a maid of all works would typically receive 6-8 pounds annually plus an allowance; a lady's maid would receive 12-15 pounds + an allowance; a valet would receive 25-50 pounds + an allowance"

Edited by magdalene
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 3

I wanted to smack Charlotte for encouraging a 16yo (17? 18?) girl to defy her uncle.  Charlotte has no right to give romance advice to anyone and suggesting Augusta "find a way" makes her complicit in the scandal that is about to happen.  Lydia was too flighty to understand what a bad decision she made, but Augusta is a smarter girl and will soon realize the consequences of running away with an unsuitable man.

Georgiana continues to make idiotic decisions too.  Why not just leave instead of imprisoning herself in a marriage of convenience that will leave everyone miserable?  

The best part was Mary telling Tom she rather likes the woman she's becoming.

All in all an awful lot of modern attitudes going on here, certainly nothing Austen would have written.

• Like 13

The romantic in me wants to believe Edward has really Chan but the fact that he encouraged Augusta to run away with him says he is still a cad. To bad because I actually like him.

Georgianna, Arthur and the duke need a serious come to Jesus talk and figure out how all three can get what they want.

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

The Charlotte and Colbourne show is really tiresome.  I imagine they are the end game but they barely speak to each other and the moony stares across the room are wearing thin.  I fast forward through their scenes, they are so drippy.

Poor Jolly;   he finally finds his place in life and Georgiana snatches it way.  She certainly is obtuse although I suppose young ladies of that era were not educated on alternative lifestyles.

• Like 2
On 4/4/2023 at 9:35 PM, norcalgal said:
On 4/4/2023 at 2:36 PM, valen said:

I’m pretty sure Charlotte told Ralph about Colbourne.

Well, yes, she told Ralph what a tyrant her boss was as she began her governess position, but it seems that’s where she ended. Ralph wouldn’t have known she softened Colbourn, or that they developed feelings for each other. He probably can’t even contemplate such an event.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

Ugh, Edward is still dastardly after all. It's disappointing because I wanted something different from him this season but I guess the writers aren't that creative. Turning Augusta into a typical lovestruck teenager isn't very original either.

Georgiana could do worse than the Duke, all things considered. He may have "leanings" as his mother puts it, but they seem to genuinely like each other so while their marriage might lack passion he'd probably be a decent companion and father to any children they might have.

I thought for sure Ralph heard Georgiana say Charlotte loved Colbourne when he walked in on their conversation but I guess not. He'd have to be pretty dense not to notice by now she's not really into him. It does crack my up when she says she "made a promise to her family." Like her family wouldn't prefer she marry rich Mr. Colbourne over farmer Ralph.

• Like 7
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
3 hours ago, Haleth said:

I wanted to smack Charlotte for encouraging a 16yo (17? 18?) girl to defy her uncle.  Charlotte has no right to give romance advice to anyone and suggesting Augusta "find a way" makes her complicit in the scandal that is about to happen.  Lydia was too flighty to understand what a bad decision she made, but Augusta is a smarter girl and will soon realize the consequences of running away with an unsuitable man.

For a variety of reasons I never suggest physical methods of dealing with people or most animals (although supposedly punching a shark in the snout is advisable) so the only outcome for Charlotte I can imagine that would bring justice is for her to be struck and killed by lightning ASAP.  

• LOL 2
10 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I thought for sure Ralph heard Georgiana say Charlotte loved Colbourne when he walked in on their conversation but I guess not. 

I too thought Ralph heard that Charlotte loved Colbourne, and was puzzled when he acted as though he hadn't.
But now that you've typed it out, @iMonrey, I realize that since Georgiana said it, not Charlotte, Ralph is probably thinking so long as Charlotte does not say she loves Colbourne, it isn't so.

10 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

It does crack my up when she says she "made a promise to her family." Like her family wouldn't prefer she marry rich Mr. Colbourne over farmer Ralph.

Hah! Somehow I missed that too! If Charlotte's sister was still part of the show, she would have definitely pointed out that Colbourne is the real catch.
Charlotte could be hosting dances until all of her siblings were married off to the wealthy.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 3
  • Useful 2
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

I too thought Ralph heard that Charlotte loved Colbourne, and was puzzled when he acted as though he hadn't.
But now that you've typed it out, @iMonrey, I realize that since Georgiana said it, not Charlotte, Ralph is probably thinking so long as Charlotte does not say she loves Colbourne, it isn't so.

I also was sure he overheard. He was acting pretty stiff after that, so I got the impression he was trying to act like he hadn't heard anything and was giving Charlotte the opportunity to come clean. By the rules of their society, he can't break the engagement, even if he knows his fiancee isn't that into him and is in love with someone else. It has to be Charlotte, so now all he can do is wait for her to do it. About the only thing he could do is confront her about it and force her to admit it, but I got the impression he's waiting for her to say something.

Or I could have been reading a lot into it. At any rate, by the end of this episode, I wasn't sure we were supposed to be pulling for Charlotte anymore. She's lying to her fiance, and she was a big enough idiot to encourage a young girl to do whatever it takes to be with the person she loves, in spite of said girl being awfully cagey about saying who she loves, which is a bit of a red flag. You'd think that this might end up souring Colbourne on her, since she's the one who gave the horrible advice to Augusta, but I'm sure all will be well at the end.

This was one of those stories in which most of the drama would have been avoided if everyone just told others what the deal was. Like, how much does Augusta know about what Sir Edward's been up to? Have they been sitting on that because they don't want to sully her innocent ears? Instead of just a "no!" when he tried to court, maybe inform her at the very least about his scheming to gaslight his stepsister, if not about the baby he abandoned. Then all the drama with the duke, Arthur and Georgiana could have been avoided by having a frank conversation. We know Georgiana knows about the duke and that she's marrying him in a platonic mutual benefit pact. Why not bring Arthur in on that, since it benefits him, too? A married man going on "hunting trips" with his friend is going to attract a lot less scandal than two confirmed bachelors going on frequent "hunting trips" alone together. One conversation would have avoided Arthur feeling like he was being jilted.

• Like 8
  • Applause 6
4 minutes ago, Shanna Marie said:

A married man going on "hunting trips" with his friend is going to attract a lot less scandal than two confirmed bachelors going on frequent "hunting trips" alone together. One conversation would have avoided Arthur feeling like he was being jilted.

Perhaps we will yet see married Lord Harry and friend Arthur packing to going on a hunting trip to Broke Back Mountain (or whatever the cottage location was). 

• LOL 6
15 minutes ago, Shanna Marie said:

At any rate, by the end of this episode, I wasn't sure we were supposed to be pulling for Charlotte anymore.

The ship has sailed for me. I can't stand her.

But since this genre guarantees that truuuu looooov wins out, I'm sure everyone will pair off and live happily ever after.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1
2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Ugh, Edward is still dastardly after all. It's disappointing because I wanted something different from him this season but I guess the writers aren't that creative. Turning Augusta into a typical lovestruck teenager isn't very original either.

Georgiana could do worse than the Duke, all things considered. He may have "leanings" as his mother puts it, but they seem to genuinely like each other so while their marriage might lack passion he'd probably be a decent companion and father to any children they might have.

I thought for sure Ralph heard Georgiana say Charlotte loved Colbourne when he walked in on their conversation but I guess not. He'd have to be pretty dense not to notice by now she's not really into him. It does crack my up when she says she "made a promise to her family." Like her family wouldn't prefer she marry rich Mr. Colbourne over farmer Ralph.

While I too would like to see Edward reformed, I think his character is too far gone, too debauched at this point, the ever truly be redeemable. I can only hope that one of the outcomes of this running away bit is that the clergyman realizes his efforts to reform Edward were all for naught and that perhaps he is also wrong about keeping his sister locked away, thus allowing her to marry Herr Doctor, because those two are adorbs together, in a very weird sort of way!

Also re: Augusta, we've seen her as a headstrong, opinionated young woman, albeit one with zero love experience. It just doesn't seem in character to me, to have her be accepting blindly all the bullshit Edward has been dishing out.

I've felt all season that Georgiana should marry the Duke in a marriage of mutual convenience. She did see him coming out of the changing bath house with another man, yes? Wasn't that her? So she has some inkling of his 'inclinations'? Perhaps she doesn't quite know what a 'grouse-loving' gentleman is/does but she did see what she saw so...

I too assumed/thought that Ralph had overheard Georgiana proclaim that Charlotte was in love with Colbourne. I thought she was about to come clean with Ralph just as Colbourne burst into the room.

52 minutes ago, Shanna Marie said:

I also was sure he overheard. He was acting pretty stiff after that, so I got the impression he was trying to act like he hadn't heard anything and was giving Charlotte the opportunity to come clean. By the rules of their society, he can't break the engagement, even if he knows his fiancee isn't that into him and is in love with someone else. It has to be Charlotte, so now all he can do is wait for her to do it. About the only thing he could do is confront her about it and force her to admit it, but I got the impression he's waiting for her to say something.

This was one of those stories in which most of the drama would have been avoided if everyone just told others what the deal was. Like, how much does Augusta know about what Sir Edward's been up to? Have they been sitting on that because they don't want to sully her innocent ears? Instead of just a "no!" when he tried to court, maybe inform her at the very least about his scheming to gaslight his stepsister, if not about the baby he abandoned. Then all the drama with the duke, Arthur and Georgiana could have been avoided by having a frank conversation. We know Georgiana knows about the duke and that she's marrying him in a platonic mutual benefit pact. Why not bring Arthur in on that, since it benefits him, too? A married man going on "hunting trips" with his friend is going to attract a lot less scandal than two confirmed bachelors going on frequent "hunting trips" alone together. One conversation would have avoided Arthur feeling like he was being jilted.

I think he did overhear, but I also am not certain he believes it because he seems to feel that a life as his wife is so much better than all these awful, learned town folk that he seems to dislike despite not knowing them at all. Ralph is a country snob if you ask me. Like Charlotte should be thrilled to live as his farmer's wife, rather than in a seaside spa town filled with people who...read books and such! He's an ass.

Yes, someone should have told Augusta about all the woman Edward has schtupped and left, and his nasty schemes to break young women and take their inheritance. That might have turned her off right away. In fact, Colbourne should have called Edward to his house, had Augusta present, and read the list of his crimes in front of Augusta so he couldn't talk his way out of them. Better yet have his aunt present to confirm his deeds. But no, this is a never ending game of communication SNAFUS, I feel like I'm watching Benny Hill in slomo sometimes!

Lastly, yes, why wouldn't Georgiana, the Duke, and Jolly all have a sit down to discuss this new arrangement, which benefits all three of them. The Duke would surely be able to perform to at least give Georgiana children should she wish, and the rest would be easy peasy to work out. It aint rocket science, its just grouse huntin'...

• Like 10

Honestly, I got the impression early on that Augusta had SOME inkling of what a scoundrel Edward was, which was why she was initially dismissive of him.  I think it's entirely in-character for her to believe that she has been able to reform him through her rebuffs.  He was quite persistent in "wooing" her into believing that she had changed him - he flattered her ego and she's just inexperienced enough to have fallen for it hook, line and sinker.  I give the writers a smidgen of credit for making us all wonder, for the span of one episode, whether or not he was legitimately reformed or not, though this episode had me firmly cracking up and laughing at his obvious, clumsy mustache-twirling villainy, lol.

I'm rooting for Lydia and Jolly to hook up, while Georgiana and the Duke stay together, and they can all live happily ever after once they've tossed Mama into the sea.  They would all be perfectly happy and jovial together.

I don't like Ralph being supremely prejudiced against any and all Sanditon inhabitants, but I get it.  He's being very territorial with regard to Charlotte - which, yeah, I mean, she DID commit to him.  She needs to either fish or cut bait, so to speak.

Speaking of Charlotte, boy does she give incredibly bad advice with only partial facts.  I know she's doing her best to avoid any interaction with Colborne, but you'd think she'd at least had enough sense to ask Alexander who the man in question was that Augusta had set her sights on.  I mean, really.  Can she be that stupid?  Wait, don't answer that.  Also, Colborne very publicly turned Denham down to courting Augusta (well, in front of a room full of people who all move in a rather small social circle), so one would think Charlotte would have heard about that already and known exactly who Augusta had become enamored with and told her to not be so foolish.  Yeesh.

Based on last night's episode, I feel like we're going to have the carpet pulled out from under us in rooting for Lady Delacourt and Samuel Colborne, Lady Denham and Rowley Price, and don't even get me started on the married Parkers...

Edited by HighQueenEB
  • Like 3
7 minutes ago, HighQueenEB said:

Based on last night's episode, I feel like we're going to have the carpet pulled out from under us in rooting for Lady Delacourt and Samuel Colborne, Lady Denham and Rowley Price, and don't even get me started on the married Parkers...

Totally forgot to mention Lady Denham and Mr. Price! Surely a woman as savvy as Lady Denham is, would have hired private investigators and/or a solicitor to look into Price's finances to see if he was indeed worth what he appears to be, before accepting his proposal. That acceptance just was so out of character for her and I am totally expecting Price to turn into a penniless scoundrel now. And if it doesn't matter to Lady D, and she really loves her old flame, then so much the better.

As for Lady Susan and Samuel Colbourne, I'm rooting for those two kids!

• Like 6
4 hours ago, iMonrey said:

when he walked in on their conversation but I guess not.

I think he did, but he wanted her to admit to him that it was true. When she evaded, it avoided a confrontation.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Perhaps we will yet see married Lord Harry and friend Arthur packing to going on a hunting trip to Broke Back Mountain (or whatever the cottage location was). 

Was it silly for me to think that the marriage was the best thing for the 3 of them, and it would provide the perfect societal foil? Jolly has already declared himself as “confirmed bachelor”, and was practically inseparable from Georgiana in season 1. That alone, would ensure his frequent presence in their household wouldn’t be questioned. Was he so naïve to his own feelings not to have known what that implied? It pains me to see how hurt he is, especially after he talked it out with the Duke. He’s not thinking clearly, to be jealous of her.

• Like 3

Yes, someone should have told Augusta about all the woman Edward has schtupped and left, and his nasty schemes to break young women and take their inheritance.

I wonder how many of Edward's deeds are public knowledge, though. I think the whole gaslighting plot must have been kept within the immediate family, since Esther took Clara's baby and I assume they kept that whole situation under wraps. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
11 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I wonder how many of Edward's deeds are public knowledge, though. I think the whole gaslighting plot must have been kept within the immediate family, since Esther took Clara's baby and I assume they kept that whole situation under wraps. 

Welllll...  Dr Fuchs, Vicar Hankins, and his sister all know.  I can't be half-arsed to recall whether or not Charlotte or the Parkers knew at the end of last season.  It certainly seems that Colborne knows, so I'd guess that it's known by those who were in Sanditon last summer.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

Maybe I am hopelessly naive and Edward might not go through with "debauching" Augusta. Maybe he really loves her?

Charlotte is so lovely but she is on my last nerve as a character. I don't care if she and Colbourne get together.  I know they will but I don't give a damn.

Tom Parker is a horrible man and husband and I wish his wife could just up and leave him.

The vicars sister and Herr Doctor are adorable. I am rooting for them.  Her brother can just get buried in cow dung or something.

Colbourne's brother and the kings former mistress are for me the most romantic pairing.

Arthur, the duke and Georgiana could work, they could arrange it all. People did it all the time.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
11 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Yes, of course.  However, there were servants present in Lady Denham's who knew about the baby and  Clara confessed about the laudelum at a luncheon with Dr. Fuchs and the Minister present as well as footmen.  Even with all of that I don't thing Colbourne or Augusta knew the whole truth about Edward.  Just that he had debts and took advantage of local girls and was mustered out of the army.  Also, lost the rights to his inheritance.   That was enough to make him completely unsuitable.

• Like 3
  • Useful 2
44 minutes ago, Crashcourse said:

Every time I see Lady Denham/Anne Reid, I can't help thinking about her in a movie 20 years ago called The Mother, where she was having sex with Daniel Craig. 🤣

I loved that film.  It was sad, thought-provoking, and hot, too. lol

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

I am shocked, shocked, shocked that Edward is still evil. Shocked, I tell you. Just shocked.

Maybe not all that shocked.

On to happier thoughts!   Ok, Arthur and the Duke! You now have the perfect setup/cover story - not to mention at least some access to Georgiana's funds! It would be different if Georgiana was in love with the Duke, but since she is only using him as a shield, I see no reason why this can't work out for all three of them. 

I see I'm not the only person left wondering if the Duke's sister is also queer. Maybe she can fall in love with Georgiana. Over horses! And doggies! 

And speaking of couples to cheer for, let's go, attorney and king's former mistress! Race away from all of these other questionable couples just as fast as you can!

• Like 5
  • Applause 2
6 hours ago, HighQueenEB said:

I give the writers a smidgen of credit for making us all wonder, for the span of one episode, whether or not he was legitimately reformed or not

Not me! I've read Austen too many times. I knew better. 
Apparently @quarks did too:

2 hours ago, quarks said:

I am shocked, shocked, shocked that Edward is still evil. Shocked, I tell you. Just shocked.
Maybe not all that shocked.

4 hours ago, magdalene said:

Maybe I am hopelessly naive and Edward might not go through with "debauching" Augusta. Maybe he really loves her?

I'd be very surprised if Edward "really loves" Augusta anywhere near as much as he loves her money.

Even if they don't make the beast with 2 backs, wouldn't she be "ruined" just by having spent a night with him?

• Like 3
18 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Even if they don't make the beast with 2 backs, wouldn't she be "ruined" just by having spent a night with him?

Alone with a man under any circumstances was cause for marriage, wasn't it?  Or was that not the case in that era?  It was during the reign of Queen Charlotte if Bridgerton is to be believed. 

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Not me! I've read Austen too many times. I knew better. 
Apparently @quarks did too:

I'd be very surprised if Edward "really loves" Augusta anywhere near as much as he loves her money.

I mean, all else aside, Edward is pursuing a wealthy girl who just last season was young enough to require a governess, so, young. Augusta also tells everyone - not just Edward - that she hasn't had the chance to even meet all that many other men. 

That's a huge contrast to, frankly, pretty much every other woman on the show, pretty much all of whom except the vicar's sister appear to have had at least one previous relationship, or are currently in at least one relationship (counting Charlotte in this). And yet, noticeably, almost all of these other women, including the Duchess (who is actively trying to marry off her daughter), Lady di whatever (who has Seen Life), and Georgiana, are avoiding Edward.

And speaking of Georgiana, it's hard not to notice that when Georgiana was all, ok, ok, ok I'll marry, she picked the gay guy that she's only known for a few months at best and not the local guy that she's known for three seasons now, who also has a title. Not as grand, but still.

Add in that Mary, the moral epicenter of the show, is also not really going out of her way to chat with Edward, and I think we're supposed to think that he hasn't reformed all that much.

But speaking of Mary - has anyone else noted that the only currently married (as opposed to widowed) woman on the show is also currently one of the least happy characters on the show? Kinda odd choice for trying to convince the audience that pairing off all these couples is really the right/best choice/happy ending for all of them.

• Like 5
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, Haleth said:

I wanted to smack Charlotte for encouraging a 16yo (17? 18?) girl to defy her uncle.  

All in all an awful lot of modern attitudes going on here, certainly nothing Austen would have written.

Speaking of modern, I can’t believe Augusta thought nothing of Edward saying “damn” in front of her. Yeah, it was in the context of “you’re the only damn person I care about” (or something like that), but still…. It didn’t raise a flag for Augusta that a supposed gentleman swore in her presence?!

I’ll post my thoughts on Charlotte in this episode a little further down.

11 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I too thought Ralph overheard the Charlotte/Georgiana conversation, but maybe not…? And @iMonrey I too would think Charlotte’s family would prefer her to marry the vastly more wealthy Colbourne, but maybe Charlotte’s and Ralph’s families are super close and as long as she lived a comfortable life with Ralph, maybe they would rather have him than a guy who lives (relatively) far away? 

9 hours ago, Shanna Marie said:

At any rate, by the end of this episode, I wasn't sure we were supposed to be pulling for Charlotte anymore. She's lying to her fiance, and she was a big enough idiot to encourage a young girl to do whatever it takes to be with the person she loves, in spite of said girl being awfully cagey about saying who she loves, which is a bit of a red flag. You'd think that this might end up souring Colbourne on her, since she's the one who gave the horrible advice to Augusta, but I'm sure all will be well at the end.

Charlotte came off very poorly in this episode for the reasons listed in @Shanna Marie’s post.  Even after Augusta fobbed off Charlotte by not mentioning the name of her secret love, you’d think Charlotte would have pressed her for the guy’s name to get a better understanding why Colbourne was so opposed to him. By now, Charlotte *knows* Colbourne is a man of great character (taking on another man’s child as his, restoring the family fortune after big bro ran away from the job, going out of his way to get his brother to represent Georgiana), so Charlotte is made to be stupid merely taking Augusta’s claim at face value that Colbourne was just being “mean”. 

7 hours ago, gingerella said:

As for Lady Susan and Samuel Colbourne, I'm rooting for those two kids!

Same here. This is the ‘ship I’m shipping the most for. 

20 minutes ago, quarks said:

And speaking of Georgiana, it's hard not to notice that when Georgiana was all, ok, ok, ok I'll marry, she picked the gay guy that she's only known for a few months at best and not the local guy that she's known for three seasons now, who also has a title. Not as grand, but still.

If the local guy you’re talking about is Jolly Parker, I don’t think he has a title. He’s just plain “mister”.  Can anyone confirm?

As for the townspeople who currently live on the plot where Tom etal want to build the hotel, if the townspeople don’t own the house/land, I’m not sure how Mary can fight the project except for moral persuasion (which hasn’t worked). Also, couldn’t Tom etal build new housing someplace where the people could move to?  

• Like 4

I'm still not sure if the Duke 's family even have any money left?  Isn't that's the reason for them to be looking for someone with__ money?  I have to agree, if Georgianna is ok with marrying the Duke,who's not into women(?), why doesn't she marry Arthur,who she obviously enjoys being around, and have the agrrement and understand the situation. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, norcalgal said:

If the local guy you’re talking about is Jolly Parker, I don’t think he has a title. He’s just plain “mister”.  Can anyone confirm?

To clarify, since I can see I was unclear, I was still talking about Edward, who is a Sir. Georgiana has been in Sir Edward's general vicinity for three seasons now, and yet has never once even considered him as potential marriage material - to the point where she chose a gay guy she's known only a couple of months at most instead of Sir Edward.

I took that as yet another sign that Edward is creepy - to the point where even Georgiana, who, let's face it, has not always had the best people judgement, avoids him.

Georgiana and Arthur agreed not to marry back in the first season, so I wasn't thinking about him when I wrote that sentence. But since I am thinking about him now, as far as I know Arthur Parker doesn't have a title. Everyone seems to call him either "Mr Parker" or "Arthur" or "yay someone else who doesn't like pheasant and is up for trips to isolated cottages!"

Edited by quarks
edited to add more clarity
  • Like 2
  • Useful 3
1 hour ago, One4Sorrow2TooBad said:

I'm still not sure if the Duke 's family even have any money left?  Isn't that's the reason for them to be looking for someone with__ money?  I have to agree, if Georgianna is ok with marrying the Duke,who's not into women(?), why doesn't she marry Arthur,who she obviously enjoys being around, and have the agrrement and understand the situation. 

Because if Georgiana marries the Duke she becomes a Duchess regardless of whether or not he has money at this point. So she has her fortune and a title now, ergo she has social standing and everyone else can piss off. Jolly Parker has no title but as others have said, it would be easy for the three of them to even live together with Jolly being a 'friend'...

I have to say, Inwas.smiling so big when Jolly said, I like grouse!' It was such a revelation that he now knew who he was.

• Like 7
  • Useful 1
7 hours ago, norcalgal said:

I too would think Charlotte’s family would prefer her to marry the vastly more wealthy Colbourne, but maybe Charlotte’s and Ralph’s families are super close and as long as she lived a comfortable life with Ralph, maybe they would rather have him than a guy who lives (relatively) far away? 

Maybe we’ll get a scene of Charlotte saying exactly this👆to her mother or father and have them tell her some “follow your heart” rubbish, perhaps with a little aside jesting from a tipsy uncle about “following the fortune too! Heh heh.” 

• Useful 1
13 hours ago, norcalgal said:

Speaking of modern, I can’t believe Augusta thought nothing of Edward saying “damn” in front of her. Yeah, it was in the context of “you’re the only damn person I care about” (or something like that), but still…. It didn’t raise a flag for Augusta that a supposed gentleman swore in her presence?!

I’ll post my thoughts on Charlotte in this episode a little further down.

I too thought Ralph overheard the Charlotte/Georgiana conversation, but maybe not…? And @iMonrey I too would think Charlotte’s family would prefer her to marry the vastly more wealthy Colbourne, but maybe Charlotte’s and Ralph’s families are super close and as long as she lived a comfortable life with Ralph, maybe they would rather have him than a guy who lives (relatively) far away? 

Charlotte came off very poorly in this episode for the reasons listed in @Shanna Marie’s post.  Even after Augusta fobbed off Charlotte by not mentioning the name of her secret love, you’d think Charlotte would have pressed her for the guy’s name to get a better understanding why Colbourne was so opposed to him. By now, Charlotte *knows* Colbourne is a man of great character (taking on another man’s child as his, restoring the family fortune after big bro ran away from the job, going out of his way to get his brother to represent Georgiana), so Charlotte is made to be stupid merely taking Augusta’s claim at face value that Colbourne was just being “mean”. 

Same here. This is the ‘ship I’m shipping the most for. 

As for the townspeople who currently live on the plot where Tom etal want to build the hotel, if the townspeople don’t own the house/land, I’m not sure how Mary can fight the project except for moral persuasion (which hasn’t worked). Also, couldn’t Tom etal build new housing someplace where the people could move to?  

Georgiana asked Arthur to marry her last season, and he said no.

• Like 3
  • Useful 3