Type keyword(s) to search

Sanditon - General Discussion

• Start Topic

The biggest issue, IMO, about any woman with money marrying Edward is that as husband, he would then control her money and he'd squander it away very quickly, then leave her.

Edited by gingerella
  • Like 11
  • Useful 1

If Georgiana marries the broke Duke, yes she gets a title, but she loses her fortune…it goes to her husband by law, doesn’t it?   Why does everyone keep telling her in order to stop idle gossip, and further lawsuits, and keep her fortune, she must marry?  In that era, the only way a woman kept her own money (and a level of independence) was to remain a spinster, or out live your husband and pray he didn’t squander away the money before he died. 

I am certain a woman of color with Georgiana’s story probably faced a lot of racial discrimination and injustices.  The money may have opened some doors for her, but life must have been difficult socially.  That said, Georgiana’s petulant sneer and pout every episode is annoying. 

Charlotte makes some pretty bad decisions.  She wouldn’t be my first go-to for boyfriend advice, that’s for sure.  If Augusta has witnesses how weird her uncle and Charlotte’s “I despise you!….no wait a sec…I would die for you!” relationship is, why would she seek out Charlotte for what her best move is with her mystery man?

I hope Lady Denham, Lady Susan and Miss Hankins all get to ride off with their soul mates.  I’m more invested in them at this point.

• Like 9
  • Applause 2
14 hours ago, norcalgal said:
19 hours ago, BusyOctober said:

I hope Lady Denham, Lady Susan and Miss Hankins all get to ride off with their soul mates.  I’m more invested in them at this point.

Hear hear! 

I agree to this in that I care zero about Georgiana and Charlotte and their bad choices, whereas (especially Miss Hankins) I am rooting for others. 

I am a little annoyed by the Lady Susan romance, though. Was she always a "widow" in the show? I figured she was modeled after the actual mistress at that time of the regent/King (albeit, Lady Susan is probably a good 20 years younger), even to the point of being displaced about this time by a different mistress https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isabella_Ingram-Seymour-Conway,_Marchioness_of_Hertford who was very much married, as appeared to have been most or all of his actual mistresses.  While I like her with the good Colborne brother in principal, it is just another unneccesary happy ending being shoehorned in.  

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
5 hours ago, HappyHanna said:

While I like her with the good Colborne brother in principal, it is just another unneccesary happy ending being shoehorned in.  

To this I say, 'oh pish tosh!' Lady Susan is yet another woman trying to make it in this Georgian era man's world. If she ends up in a love match with a gentleman of the gentry, hurrah and huzzah I say!

• Like 10
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, gingerella said:

Lady Susan is yet another woman trying to make it in this Georgian era man's world. If she ends up in a love match with a gentleman of the gentry, hurrah and huzzah I say!

Wouldn't the eldest Colbourne be the one marrying up?  Isn't he a solicitor, a working man?  He and Dad Colbourne don't have titles.

• Useful 2
3 minutes ago, Orcinus orca said:

Wouldn't the eldest Colbourne be the one marrying up?  Isn't he a solicitor, a working man?  He and Dad Colbourne don't have titles.

IIRC, Simon Colbourne is indeed a solicitor in London, but IIRC, he was originally the elder Colbourne brother and thus Lord or whatever if his family seat. But he abandoned that right and left his younger brother. Xander, to take up the family seat.

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, gingerella said:

IRC, Simon Colbourne is indeed a solicitor in London, but IIRC, he was originally the elder Colbourne brother and thus Lord or whatever if his family seat. But he abandoned that right and left his younger brother. Xander, to take up the family seat.

True but nobody calls either of them Lord Colbourne, only Mr. Colbourne.  Big house, no title? 

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Orcinus orca said:

True but nobody calls either of them Lord Colbourne, only Mr. Colbourne.  Big house, no title? 

It seems so.  Just as Mr Bingley had no title.

• Like 3

So Lady Susan would lose her title if she marries the attorney/barrister/solicitor (I never know what's correct) since he and Alexander are not titled.  Since the writers seem to be pairing up all of the couples, these two seem to be one of the end games.

Of course, she can keep him as a side piece in case the King wants her back.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
On 4/9/2023 at 11:48 PM, magdalene said:

500 a year was about 42,000 in that period. 5000 a year means Augusta is filthy rich.

To compare....

“The Writer's Guide to Everyday Life in Regency and Victorian London,” Kristine Hughes says that a maid of all works would typically receive 6-8 pounds annually plus an allowance; a lady's maid would receive 12-15 pounds + an allowance; a valet would receive 25-50 pounds + an allowance"

For comparison in "Sense and Sensibility" the Dashwood ladies have only 500 pounds a year among the four of them. They had to move to a small cottage and set a strict budget.

On 4/10/2023 at 3:51 PM, Daff said:

Was it silly for me to think that the marriage was the best thing for the 3 of them, and it would provide the perfect societal foil? Jolly has already declared himself as “confirmed bachelor”, and was practically inseparable from Georgiana in season 1. That alone, would ensure his frequent presence in their household wouldn’t be questioned. Was he so naïve to his own feelings not to have known what that implied? It pains me to see how hurt he is, especially after he talked it out with the Duke. He’s not thinking clearly, to be jealous of her.

Why should Georgiana give up hope of a true marriage with a man who wanted to have sex with her? Of course we can say she could have affairs, but that would also cause "talk" just among the upper crust rather than in the newspapers. Yet even then there were gossip pages in newspapers so if she had children it might be hinted that they were not the Duke's. 

2 hours ago, Haleth said:

It seems so.  Just as Mr Bingley had no title.

Nor did Mr. Darcy, who had an enormous house and income.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
13 hours ago, Orcinus orca said:

So Lady Susan would lose her title if she marries the attorney/barrister/solicitor (I never know what's correct) since he and Alexander are not titled.  Since the writers seem to be pairing up all of the couples, these two seem to be one of the end games.

Of course, she can keep him as a side piece in case the King wants her back.

If I remember my nobility lessons correctly (learned in the school of Downton Abbey), Lady Susan must be the daughter of a member of the nobility, as she is Lady "Firstname". Lady Denham married into the nobility (Lady "Lastname"), so she would lose her title if she married again. 

Lady Mary Crawley was Lady Mary as a single gentlewoman, and kept that title when she married the untitled Matthew. When she later married the untitled Henry Talbott, she became Lady Mary Talbott.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 7
On 4/13/2023 at 10:11 AM, RedHawk said:

Why should Georgiana give up hope of a true marriage with a man who wanted to have sex with her?

Because that’s what she feared most. Given the property laws at the time and the fact that any amorous suitor couldn’t be trusted not to exercise complete control over her and her fortune. She wanted to remain free to live as she chose. Marry the Duke, keep the close friendship with Jolly, and pursue any dalliances at her leisure (with no risk of losing control of her fortune). 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Daff said:

Because that’s what she feared most. Given the property laws at the time and the fact that any amorous suitor couldn’t be trusted not to exercise complete control over her and her fortune. She wanted to remain free to live as she chose. Marry the Duke, keep the close friendship with Jolly, and pursue any dalliances at her leisure (with no risk of losing control of her fortune). 

How would she be free?  The Duke would then control her fortune.  I'm sure he would plow it into rebuilding his estate.  True, she wouldn't have to have sex with him, except for begetting children.   She seemed to trust him to manage the money well and she would be a Duchess - people couldn't look down on her.

• Like 5
31 minutes ago, Doublemint said:

How would she be free?  The Duke would then control her fortune.  I'm sure he would plow it into rebuilding his estate.  True, she wouldn't have to have sex with him, except for begetting children.   She seemed to trust him to manage the money well and she would be a Duchess - people couldn't look down on her.

I highly doubt he’d try that seeing as she could simply open her mouth and ruin him. I think she would be amenable to helping shore up his dwindled property (just to keep the MIL happy). 

• Useful 1
5 hours ago, Daff said:

I highly doubt he’d try that seeing as she could simply open her mouth and ruin him. I think she would be amenable to helping shore up his dwindled property (just to keep the MIL happy). 

Yes, and it would be HER home and property as well. I imagine it's a fine estate, though some upkeep is surely needed. I guess she'd have to put up with the Dowager Duchess living there as well, although maybe she'd have her own house on the estate like Old Lady Grantham in "Downton Abbey". They could escape to London often of course. I do think Georgiana and her SIL would develop a pleasant friendship.

• Like 4
On 3/21/2023 at 1:39 PM, valen said:

The entire season is available on PBS Passport for anyone that would like to binge. It is $5 a month or $60 for the year. 

Yes! Thanks for this info, @valen! I did the same $5 a month and have access to so much now! And on demand! 
(my mother said that I learned how to read watching Sesame Street when it came on in 1969, and I’ve watched so much PBS through the years, I felt I owe them at least something. I am hoping to increase my monthly donation a little bit because I guess I owe them after all these years!)

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, seasons said:

Yes! Thanks for this info, @valen! I did the same $5 a month and have access to so much now! And on demand! 
(my mother said that I learned how to read watching Sesame Street when it came on in 1969, and I’ve watched so much PBS through the years, I felt I owe them at least something. I am hoping to increase my monthly donation a little bit because I guess I owe them after all these years!)

It took me years to donate but I watch so much PBS that it felt right to do. Good for you, and now you have Passport too! 

• Like 1

I only donate to PBS and a couple of other like-minded organizations when I can deduct it from my taxes — which I couldn't for this year — or most years, but next year it might work. 
I assume PBS and like-minded organizations don't want people to donate if it puts their own well being in jeopardy.

But somehow I have more access to PBS than I should?
For instance, I could binge this entire season of Sanditon, but prefer not to do so.

• Useful 1

Mary :(

Those Edward/Augusta scenes were creeping me out so much.

Congrats to Edward for finally doing the right thing for like the first in his life by bowing out of the relationship. Augusta u dodged a bullet there.

Charlotte finally broke things off with Ralph. About time. Ralph had the patience of a saint dealing with her always ditching him. Hope he finds happiness someday.

Good on Jolly Parker for turning down Georgiana and Harry's offer. I know they probably didn't mean it that way, but the proposed arrangement was a tad bit insulting imo. Arthur has standards and I'm glad he's putting himself first in this case.

Lots of talk about settling vs love this episode. And in the case of Lady Denham...I honestly hope she doesn't go thru with the marriage or I hope Mr. Price croaks before it happens bc the more Mr. Price talks the more it becomes apparent lady Denham gets the losing end of the deal. Lose her fortune, home, etc. a huge chunk of her identity.

Edited by HoodlumSheep
  • Like 13
  • Applause 2

A-welp.  It wasn't a carriage full of nuns, and it was totally unexpected, but Edward kind of redeemed himself.  In a twisted, sad kind of way.  Augusta went full-on Matrix with the bullets she dodged.

And things are coming along nicely - the Mistress and the Barrister are getting along nicely, Georgianna found her mother (or did she?), Arthur showed his backbone and his pride, Charlotte and Ralph are no longer a thing...

Wait.  Mary?  MARY?!

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

[AUGUSTA] Why did I let myself fall in love with him?

[CHARLOTTE] We cannot choose who we fall in love with. I know something of the agony you're feeling. But in time, your heart will heal, and this will come to seem no more than a distant memory.

[SHAPESHIFTER] Like Sidney?

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
  • LOL 2

Ahhhh Susan & Samuel!!  They’re like the Persuasion follow-up: two complicated people with complicated pasts, coming together later in life to find happiness at last! *sigh  It’s Jane Austen for people my age, and I love every scene they share.

Wondering if Mary’s illness/Tom’s despair finally pushed Charlotte over the edge: Life’s too short, etc. 

• Like 10
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
12 minutes ago, voiceover said:

Wondering if Mary’s illness/Tom’s despair finally pushed Charlotte over the edge: Life’s too short, etc. 

I didn't think of that, but maybe that was supposed to be obvious? Mary's illness was giving me germaphobe heebie jeebies, so I missed any narrative significance.  

Doesn't look like Georgiana's wedding is going to happen.

Mr. Rowleigh Pryce is looking more and more like a cad after Lady Denham's money. I'm glad she's beginning to buy a clue.

• Like 5

I had felt for a while that Edward seemed sincere in his feelings for Augusta. At least the actor was playing it that way.  But of course I didn't trust that feeling because who would after the things Edward had done throughout the series.  But once Edward started to look more and more uneasy and conflicted I knew I was right. And then he gave her up right after Colbourne consented to the marriage. When he had it all. Well, well, well.

Now, my cynical side thinks Tom Parker is never going to change. If Mary recovers he'll try for a while but eventually some business opportunity will come along that he can't resist and here we go again. He is a weak and pathetic man.

• Like 9

Ditto to all tbe above. However more importantly, last week is the series finale?!? I thought we'd have a few more episodes! I guess they'll just rush through the whole resolution: Charlotte and Colbourne will get together, Harry & Georgiana will not, Mary might die or not. Lady Denham will bail on her marriage to Pryce (what's yours is mine", my ass dude!), and Lady Susan and the Barrister will get together. But what of Edward (do I really care at this point?! Lady D will probably give him the house now that he's done one good thing on his life), Jolly, and where are Mary and Tom's children? I hope the finale is longer and resolves storylines. 

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 1

I had to laugh at the Duchess's discomfort, the more Georgiana's mother talked about her background.  All she had wanted was Georgiana's money and a beard for her son but she didn't count on what else came along with that.  No way will this marriage ever occur.

Eh, since this is quasi Austen, no doubt Mary will live and Tom will see the errors of his ways, Susan and Samuel will make a splendid match, Lady Denham will send Mr Pryce packing, and Edward will remain a sad bachelor, regretting his evil ways and longing for the love he lost.  

• Like 8

Wait, I thought a young female alone with a man was considrered "ruined" unless she married the scoundrel.  Augusta and Charlotte have spent extended periods alone with their two suitors (and Augusta even made it into a hotel room) but now everthing is hunky dory?  Where the the rigid standards we see in other period pieces? 

• Like 13
  • Applause 1
35 minutes ago, Orcinus orca said:

Wait, I thought a young female alone with a man was considrered "ruined" unless she married the scoundrel.  Augusta and Charlotte have spent extended periods alone with their two suitors (and Augusta even made it into a hotel room) but now everthing is hunky dory?  Where the the rigid standards we see in other period pieces? 

THIS.  No fiance would allow his girl to go off alone with another man on a trip, or even a ride in an enclosed carriage.  It is 2023 actions dressed in period clothing.  That said, I'm still enjoying it, but would enjoy it more if it were truer to Austen.

Since Edward really does love Augusta and was ready to run away with her, why wouldn't he take up Colbourne's unexpected offer of marriage?  Does he think he might revert to his old ways and hurt her?  That was quite unclear and subtle when everything else in the show is is explained fully.

I agree with the above that it's too rushed for one more episode.  Let's see: Charlotte and Colbourne, Lady Denam & Rowleigh, Lady Susan and Samual, the minister's Sister and Dr Fuchs,  and Georgiana & the Duke/Jolly.   Mary will survive and the Parkers will go on as usual.  That's a lot to resolve.  Maybe the whole episode takes place in the Church with one wedding after the other.

• Like 3
  • LOL 7
8 minutes ago, Doublemint said:

Charlotte and Colbourne, Lady Denam & Rowleigh, Lady Susan and Samual, the minister's Sister and Dr Fuchs,  and Georgiana & the Duke/Jolly.   Mary will survive and the Parkers will go on as usual.  That's a lot to resolve.  Maybe the whole episode takes place in the Church with one wedding after the other.

🤣👏 
Heh. But Georgiana has spoken the name of Otis in an orgasmic near-whisper in each episode this season, and now he’s been credited with reuniting her with her mother, so if those 2 crazy kids get betrothed next week, that leaves the Duke and Jolly to discover a portal to the future so they can be married on Jolly’s terms.

• Like 2
  • LOL 6
2 hours ago, Orcinus orca said:

That also made me laugh. 
Colbourne:  My niece is alone with a man, she will be ruined!  Charlotte, I insist you come with me!  Never mind your reputation. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 21

It really cracked me up how Colbourne kept saying Augusta would be "ruined." I'm actually surprised Edward ended up doing the right thing by letting Augusta go. I was hoping for some kind of redemption arc for him, and was disappointed when he turned out to be still dastardly.

So glad Charlotte finally let poor Ralph off the hook. I wonder what other complication they'll throw in her way. She'll go to tell Colbourne the engagement is off just as Colbourne is announcing his engagement to the Duke's sister? God, only one more episode, I hope not.

• Like 5

Ah, so I see it was time for the Very Awkward Dinner episode! Complete with OMG SHE'S NOT MARRIED! OMG LET'S SORTA KINDA HAVE A THREESOME EXCEPT WITHOUT ALL THE SEX AND ALSO WITH A MOTHER-IN-LAW NEARBY! OMG LET'S NOT THINK ABOUT JUST HOW MANY PEOPLE HERE PROBABLY CAUGHT MARY'S VIRUS THINGY!

On that note, oh, Arthur, it's very nice that you don't want to live a lie, but....even when/if the Duke and Georgiana call things off, you're still not going to be able to live all that openly with the Duke, you know? Georgiana is offering you a pretty decent deal here. Take it!

I, too, had to laugh at all the "OMG WE CANNOT LET AUGUSTA BE ALONE WITH A MAN," followed by Charlotte being blatantly alone with a man for hours and hours, even though a couple of potential chaperones/companions were around, followed by Augusta being slightly unclothed and in bed and everyone going, ok, sure, we'll just assume nothing has happened because when we walked in she was in a bed and he was on a couch. And at the small fact that Edward is so evil that once he finally sorta does the right thing, not one person recognizes what he's doing, including the person who five minutes ago thought he was awesome. On that note, Edward, although I'm delighted you two are not marrying, way to completely break her heart AND make any future encounters in Sanditon - which are pretty likely given the size of the place and the way everyone keeps running into everyone - absolutely awful, uncomfortable and painful for Augusta. Ugh, Edward. Just ugh.

Loving Lady Lydia, though. And Samuel and Susan. So it's not all terrible.

• Like 2
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 3
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Doublemint said:

Since Edward really does love Augusta and was ready to run away with her, why wouldn't he take up Colbourne's unexpected offer of marriage?  Does he think he might revert to his old ways and hurt her?  That was quite unclear and subtle when everything else in the show is is explained fully.

I also thought it was strange that he didn't accept the offer to marry her in a proper way. All I can think is that he realized that running away with her was a bad thing, and therefore he's not completely reformed and doesn't deserve her. I think his aunt did a good job of getting in his head and making him believe that he's not a good man. I feel a bit bad for him, although I didn't like how he crushed Augusta's heart. I think he does love her, so he could have found a better way of breaking things off.

Like others have said, there's going to be a lot to cover in the final episode.

• Like 6
49 minutes ago, quarks said:

Arthur, it's very nice that you don't want to live a lie, but....even when/if the Duke and Georgiana call things off, you're still not going to be able to live all that openly with the Duke, you know? Georgiana is offering you a pretty decent deal here. Take it!

That's what I was thinking. It was like Arthur was a time traveler from 2023 because the idea of gay men being able to live openly and honestly together as a couple was entirely unheard of at that time. They'd have ended up in prison. The duke might have been able to wriggle out of it due to his title, but there would be scandal, and Arthur would probably be used as the scapegoat. Having the cover of marriage was about the only way for them to be together. Women could get away with living as a lady and her "companion" or renter (depending on their class), but there were laws about men.

It seems I was wrong about them turning Ralph into a villain, so I was pleasantly surprised that they managed to end the engagement with civility instead of him suddenly being so awful that she had an excuse to dump him.

It was odd that they didn't have a chaperone for Charlotte while being alone with Colbourne, and he didn't seem to mind at all that she'd been the one who essentially told Augusta to go for it and run away. I guess Charlotte redeemed herself by being the one to find their hotel.

• Like 5
7 hours ago, Orcinus orca said:

Where the the rigid standards we see in other period pieces? 

Once upon a time, when the internet discussions were conducted in AOL chatrooms, the Colin Firth/Jennifer Ehle Pride & Prejudice was a subject of controversy amongst “dedicated Janeites” because #ohthehorror Darcy and Elizabeth smooched in their wedding carriage.

Now, I love me some Jane, but I had no prob with that kiss (in fact, I yelled: “No tongue?!?” at the tv screen).  I love that Matthew was alllll over Keira in the most recent P&P (and *hate when they cut that coda on TV).  I have a sneaking, totally unfounded, suspicion that Miss Austen woulda been on my side.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, quarks said:

Ah, so I see it was time for the Very Awkward Dinner episode! Complete with OMG SHE'S NOT MARRIED! OMG LET'S SORTA KINDA HAVE A THREESOME EXCEPT WITHOUT ALL THE SEX AND ALSO WITH A MOTHER-IN-LAW NEARBY! OMG LET'S NOT THINK ABOUT JUST HOW MANY PEOPLE HERE PROBABLY CAUGHT MARY'S VIRUS THINGY!

On that note, oh, Arthur, it's very nice that you don't want to live a lie, but....even when/if the Duke and Georgiana call things off, you're still not going to be able to live all that openly with the Duke, you know? Georgiana is offering you a pretty decent deal here. Take it!

I, too, had to laugh at all the "OMG WE CANNOT LET AUGUSTA BE ALONE WITH A MAN," followed by Charlotte being blatantly alone with a man for hours and hours, even though a couple of potential chaperones/companions were around, followed by Augusta being slightly unclothed and in bed and everyone going, ok, sure, we'll just assume nothing has happened because when we walked in she was in a bed and he was on a couch. And at the small fact that Edward is so evil that once he finally sorta does the right thing, not one person recognizes what he's doing, including the person who five minutes ago thought he was awesome. On that note, Edward, although I'm delighted you two are not marrying, way to completely break her heart AND make any future encounters in Sanditon - which are pretty likely given the size of the place and the way everyone keeps running into everyone - absolutely awful, uncomfortable and painful for Augusta. Ugh, Edward. Just ugh.

Loving Lady Lydia, though. And Samuel and Susan. So it's not all terrible.

@quarks, I look forward to your recap of next week’s finale!

• Like 3
4 hours ago, iMonrey said:

It really cracked me up how Colbourne kept saying Augusta would be "ruined." I'm actually surprised Edward ended up doing the right thing by letting Augusta go. I was hoping for some kind of redemption arc for him, and was disappointed when he turned out to be still dastardly.

I think that was a redemptive arc for Edward and the only one that I am ok with.  He let her go.  There was actually something noble in that in my mind.  There is no way this show could have realistically portrayed him as actually falling in love with Augusta and her inheritance be damned.  (And now that I've said that, I sure hope they don't somehow reverse that for the last episode.  It would be a bridge too far). 

Whatever we think of the character Edward, I think Jack Fox is one of the better actors on this how.   And so is the actor who portrays Arthur.  

• Like 13
  • Fire 1
32 minutes ago, alias1 said:

I think that was a redemptive arc for Edward and the only one that I am ok with.  He let her go.  There was actually something noble in that in my mind. 

I totally agree with you. I think we saw Edward finally develop a conscience. Or maybe that was too low for even him to go. If Sanditon were to continue for several seasons, I could imagine Edward and Augusta finding each other again after Augusta has been somewhat roughened up by life (i.e. her first husband dies from Mary's fever right after the baby is born.)

• Like 10

I think Augusta and Edward are still going to end up together, actually. I think the only character who won't be married at the end that's been on track for it this season is Lady Denham, and I wouldn't get married either after this episode if I was her. Even with this episode aside, I wasn't invested in the romance involving her because she's so awful.

I only wonder how the Duke's sister will get a HEA here with everyone else getting married. Perhaps she'll end up with Ralph (to the mother's outrage)?

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • LOL 4
5 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I only wonder how the Duke's sister will get a HEA here with everyone else getting married. Perhaps she'll end up with Ralph (to the mother's outrage)?

The Duke's sister had a line about having wanted to marry someone but being blocked by her mother. Maybe their mother also gets sick, and dies? That would free up everyone to do what they want. 

• Like 2
On 4/16/2023 at 7:12 PM, HoodlumSheep said:

Charlotte finally broke things off with Ralph. About time. Ralph had the patience of a saint dealing with her always ditching him. Hope he finds happiness someday.

ITA!  Ralph turned out to be a very decent, patient and understanding guy. The writers didn’t take the lazy  trope of making him a villain so Charlotte the Heroine wouldn’t look bad when she tosses him aside.

On 4/16/2023 at 9:02 PM, voiceover said:

Ahhhh Susan & Samuel!!  They’re like the Persuasion follow-up: two complicated people with complicated pasts, coming together later in life to find happiness at last! *sigh  It’s Jane Austen for people my age, and I love every scene they share.

Indeed.  They are my favorite couple in this series, only next to Sydney and Charlotte (if you could even count the latter as a couple).

15 hours ago, Doublemint said:

THIS.  No fiance would allow his girl to go off alone with another man on a trip, or even a ride in an enclosed carriage.  It is 2023 actions dressed in period clothing.  That said, I'm still enjoying it, but would enjoy it more if it were truer to Austen.

12 hours ago, Shanna Marie said:

It was odd that they didn't have a chaperone for Charlotte while being alone with Colbourne, and he didn't seem to mind at all that she'd been the one who essentially told Augusta to go for it and run away. I guess Charlotte redeemed herself by being the one to find their hotel.

I’m lumping @Doublemintand @Shanna Marie’s  posts to give my opinion on Charlotte in this penultimate episode. This must have been the “no matter what, you WILL NOT criticize or be angry at Charlotte” episode. 

• Instead of being angry (or any other negative feeling) that Charlotte strung him along, Ralph tells her he loves her for ending their engagement?!  
  • Instead of being angry about Charlotte’s role in Augusta running away with Edward, Colbourne barely had any reaction to Charlotte’s role in what was a Very Serious Thing to happen in the 19th century.
  • Then, when Charlotte lectured (yes, lectured) Colbourne about how he should treat Augusta for running away and ruining herself, he calmly accepted all that. It’s the effing 19th century, when women were damn near considered property, yet Charlotte cautions proceed gently with Augusta and welcome her back with loving arms?!!?  

Nope, nope and noppity nope.  Not realistic for the time period. That’s 20/21 century sensibilities. Colbourne just accepted everything Charlotte said at face value and didn’t even push back the slightest about how Augusta could have ruined herself.  But this is an Original Sin with this show, going back to season one, when scenes or plots were not at all true to the time period.

ITA and a standing ovation to @Doublemint’s post above. 
Finally, the actress who portrayed Augusta did a great job showing her anguish when Edward called off the marriage and Edward may have been less of a scoundrel for doing that, but he’s still not redeemed in my eyes.

Edited by norcalgal
  • Like 4
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 3
  • Love 4
On 4/17/2023 at 10:29 PM, TheGreenKnight said:

I think the only character who won't be married at the end that's been on track for it this season is Lady Denham,

He did add “and vice versa” to his “what’s yours is mine” comment, but we all know it is a lie in that time period. I don’t think it was so much his commandeering of her carriage (it’s only a carriage) as it was his audacious ordering her household around. That would really rankle Lady D!

• Like 5
4 hours ago, Daff said:

He did add “and vice versa” to his “what’s yours is mine” comment, but we all know it is a lie in that time period.

Perhaps Mr. Rowleigh Pryce was referring to his debts being Lady Denham's after they were married! 

Mr. Rowleigh Pryce is behind Tom Parker's scheme that involves evicting the poor from their beach front homes, right? 
Lady Denham's heart needs to grow three sizes to recognize her betrothed is a cad.
Hmmmm...I wonder if the reason Rowleigh stood up Lady Denham at the alter all those decades ago was because someone looking out for her best interests paid off Rowleigh to get lost?
He has yet to say why he did it.🤔

• Useful 7
4 minutes ago, Orcinus orca said:

Rowleigh is rich in his own right.  Thus the huge investment in Sanditon.

But is it possible he’s lost it all and is faking it until he gets married to Lady D and has access to her wealth?

• Like 4
  • Useful 4
On 4/17/2023 at 9:22 AM, Doublemint said:

THIS.  No fiance would allow his girl to go off alone with another man on a trip, or even a ride in an enclosed carriage.

I thought the same thing, then figured "okay, maybe the carriage only fits two people?" But then it fit Augusta just fine for the ride home. Made no sense that Ralph did not go too. Besides the decorum issue, he was upset with Charlotte's "just one more thing" (TM Columbo) so could have said "I'll come and help find them too."

• Like 6
  • Fire 1
  • Love 1