Type keyword(s) to search

Sanditon - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I think she was skeptical when he warned her about Colbourne, as he wouldn't tell her anything specific.  She didn't like that.

When Lennox pressed her at the garden party about Colbourne she said "isn't it possible he's changed?" meaning she's willing to believe his accusations. I also have a hard time believing she never noticed all the times he kept going up to Colbourne to whisper things to him and taunt him. I guess she was conveniently out of earshot each time. 

Maybe it’s my imagination, but it looks like that scar has been healing and gets more faint with every episode. Wasn’t he fencing in the first episode? Maybe he got it then.

I think it's just inconsistent makeup and different lighting. (On a shallow note, I wasn't impressed with shirtless Fraser. He has moobs. 😬 )

I've been thinking about how much better the story would have been if Lennox and Colbourne weren't locked into the Wickham/Darcy plot.  Specifically, I'm referring to their past association.  

Agreed! As I commented earlier, this show doesn't really do nuance.

• Love 4
26 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

When Lennox pressed her at the garden party about Colbourne she said "isn't it possible he's changed?" meaning she's willing to believe his accusations. I also have a hard time believing she never noticed all the times he kept going up to Colbourne to whisper things to him and taunt him. I guess she was conveniently out of earshot each time. 

She has seen the antagonism between the two, and I think she is not willing to believe anything either one of them says against the other.  She wants to know the whole story.

Basically, both of them have told her to stay away from the other.  She isn't going to accept that from either of them.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I think it's just inconsistent makeup and different lighting. (On a shallow note, I wasn't impressed with shirtless Fraser. He has moobs. 😬 )

Moobs are probably more historically accurate though.

I think I may rewatch episode 1 just because of this scar. The scar is more interesting than some of the characters.

• LOL 2

I’m sick of all the slimy men in this show - Edward, Lennox, and whatever Alison’s boyfriend’s name is - and all the clueless women. It’s really bad writing to have Alison and Charlotte in basically the same parallel plot, caught between two men with a secret that will blow it all up. (At least Alison learned the truth.)  It’s frustrating to watch all these men using a secret to manipulate the women, including Edward keeping letters from Esther. This isn’t fun or romantic. 

On 4/11/2022 at 6:21 PM, magdalene said:

Next I am waiting for Alison to get ill and learn to appreciate Fraser ala Sense and Sensibility.

Yes. She fell in the water so will certainly catch pneumonia. 

On 4/12/2022 at 3:00 PM, iMonrey said:

This show doesn't really do nuance, does it?

Not in the least. 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Haleth said:

I’m sick of all the slimy men in this show - Edward, Lennox, and whatever Alison’s boyfriend’s name is - and all the clueless women. It’s really bad writing to have Alison and Charlotte in basically the same parallel plot, caught between two men with a secret that will blow it all up. (At least Alison learned the truth.)  It’s frustrating to watch all these men using a secret to manipulate the women, including Edward keeping letters from Esther. This isn’t fun or romantic. 

This is part of why I can only watch this show by separating it from Austen's work.  It has so far strayed from her style that they should be ashamed to use her name in connection with it.

• Love 5

I have to fast-forward all the Edward scenes. He’s just too evil. I don’t mind some cads with my Austen, but Edward is straight-up evil and brings a level of discomfort that doesn’t belong here. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 11

So are they just making the story up as they go along? I know they have limited JA material to draw from, but I would have thought they would have the plot outlined & let the actors know what was expected of them, time wise. What was the point of having Sidney & young Stringer as love interests for Charlotte if the actors were not going to return? Now they had to add 2 new love interests, Colbourne & Lennox? I see how they can link Sidney to the current plot but what was the point of Stringer? So has this changed their original idea of where this story was going? 

7 minutes ago, MrsJumbo3 said:

So are they just making the story up as they go along? I know they have limited JA material to draw from, but I would have thought they would have the plot outlined & let the actors know what was expected of them, time wise. What was the point of having Sidney & young Stringer as love interests for Charlotte if the actors were not going to return? Now they had to add 2 new love interests, Colbourne & Lennox? I see how they can link Sidney to the current plot but what was the point of Stringer? So has this changed their original idea of where this story was going? 

Definitely the plans changed. The show was initially cancelled after season one in 2019, and wasn't un-cancelled until over a year later. Understandably, certain actors had moved on by then, and the writers had to make some big adjustments to their overall story plans.

• Love 5
25 minutes ago, dargosmydaddy said:

Definitely the plans changed. The show was initially cancelled after season one in 2019, and wasn't un-cancelled until over a year later. Understandably, certain actors had moved on by then, and the writers had to make some big adjustments to their overall story plans.

Davies also seems to have handed off the writing duties, so that might explain some differences with existing characters. Davies is now credited as the creator and others get the writing credits. I believe he was the sole writer of S1. At least, that's the idea I got watching the post episode actor/writer snippets.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, One4Sorrow2TooBad said:

Is the Alison character even in the Austen storyline? 

No, but the book was unfinished, and Charlotte is described as "the eldest daughter," so perhaps Austen would have had a sister introduced (austenprose.com/sanditon-list-of-characters). 
It's been too long for me to recall, but I think maybe in another Austen work a younger sister comes to "town" to join the older sister. 

• Useful 3
15 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

No, but the book was unfinished, and Charlotte is described as "the eldest daughter," so perhaps Austen would have had a sister introduced (austenprose.com/sanditon-list-of-characters). 
It's been too long for me to recall, but I think maybe in another Austen work a younger sister comes to "town" to join the older sister. 

Charlotte had a whole grunch of siblings, so it makes sense that her sister would come to stay with her to share her good fortune.  

The other work where a sister, one of a whole grunch of siblings, comes to stay with the oldest sister is Mansfield Park.

I didn.t realize Davies was no longer the writer on this series.  That explains why it is so much better.

Edited by treeofdreams
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 1

I guarantee we will find out that the niece (Augusta?) is Lennox's daughter.  No doubt as a young soldier he pulled a Willowby by toying with Colbourne's sister's affections and left her pregnant (unknowingly).  This is the source of the rancor between them.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Haleth said:

I guarantee we will find out that the niece (Augusta?) is Lennox's daughter.  No doubt as a young soldier he pulled a Willowby by toying with Colbourne's sister's affections and left her pregnant (unknowingly).  This is the source of the rancor between them.

But they've already hinted (or more than hinted) that the rancor is because there was some kind of relationship between Lennox and Colbourne's wife, no? Maybe it's Leo who's actually Lennox's?

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Haleth said:

I thought that Augusta and Leo's mothers were sisters (a la the Broadway musical version of The Secret Garden where Mary & Colin's mothers were sisters).

3 hours ago, dargosmydaddy said:

But they've already hinted (or more than hinted) that the rancor is because there was some kind of relationship between Lennox and Colbourne's wife, no? Maybe it's Leo who's actually Lennox's?

The show seems to be going in that obvious direction, so I'm sure that's what it will be - or at least, until we find out that, no, Leo's father really is Colbourne, so that we can have a happy resolution.  It would be far more interesting if it was Augusta who was Lennox's daughter, but that doesn't seem to be where the story is tracking.

3 hours ago, treeofdreams said:

Something I don't understand...why are the shopkeepers holding Tom responsible for the debts of the army?

I think it's just that he's the man behind Sanditon, so everyone in town goes to him when issues come up. I'm guessing different shopkeepers have tried to address the debt situation on their own and gotten nowhere, so now they've banded together and are turning to Tom for help. (It's also possible that I've given that more thought than the writers have.)

Lennox wants to paint himself as a Col. Brandon, but he's just another Wickham-ass cad.

My only demand for the show at this point is good things for Jolly Parker. I'm not sure what exactly Arthur needs for a happy ending, but whatever it is, I want him to have it!

• LOL 1
  • Love 10
9 hours ago, Haleth said:

Lennox was involved w/Colbourne's wife Lucy - NOT his sister. Just FYI. :) 

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, 4merBachAddict said:

Lennox was involved w/Colbourne's wife Lucy - NOT his sister. Just FYI. :) 

Thank you. That was already pointed out.  But he’s a bad guy so he could have been doing both. 😄

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, treeofdreams said:

Something I don't understand...why are the shopkeepers holding Tom responsible for the debts of the army?

Tom has been thrilled that the military was in town because he thought they would throw money around, so it's possible that he urged the merchants to extend credit. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 3

Next week is  episode 6, the season finale.  Only 6 episodes - phooey!

Anyway, I hope they tidy up the end of at least most of the stories - I despise cliffhangers!  I want to know what Colbourne's secret is, I want Esther to find out what Edward is doing to her, I want Alison to at least begin to see Fraser as the good guy, I want Mary to find out about Tom's money issues, not sure I know what I want with Georgiana,  as I have no clue what is going on there.  (There is something about the artist I don't like; maybe it's just the hair.)

I know they have already filmed season 3, the final season, but we won't see that until 2023.  Please do not disappoint!

Edited by treeofdreams
  • Love 4

Jolly Parker finally getting the validation he deserves from his brother :')

Esther nooooo she doesn't deserve this :(

Totes was chanting *FIGHT! FIGHT FIGHT!* after what went down with Col. Lennox. 

Oof. Leonora heard everything. Wonder if she'll try running away.

Happy Augusta :) she's so much livelier when she's happy.

Curious to see how the finale goes down. She flat out told Col. Lennox she doesn't want to marry but seems to be falling for Colbourne...BUT with a season 3 still to come I'm wondering if there's a chance of getting another Downton Abbey season 5? The two men and the whole "which will she choose?" Nonsense... only to jilt them both. 

I feel like there's a good chance she could decline whatever's going on with Colbourne but I feel like Lennox will probably be gone next season unless they decide to...rehabilitate his character.  

As for Georgiana and Lockhart...hmmm...I feel like he's someone she needs right now and is good for her currently, but not in the long run, so I hope she makes the sensible choice and doesn't accept. 

Re: Colbourne's wife--walked out into the rain??? How very Wuthering Heights of her.

Edited by HoodlumSheep
  • Love 5
On 4/16/2022 at 12:42 PM, treeofdreams said:

Because he wouldn’t have found out that Charlotte and Sidney were in love (seriously?) if he hadn’t gone into debt again…this is such a dumb plot point. Literally everyone knew they were in love!

• Useful 1
1 minute ago, HoodlumSheep said:

As for Georgiana and Lockhart...hmmm...I feel like he's someone she needs right now and is good for her currently, but not in the long run, so I hope she makes the sensible choice and doesn't accept. 

I don’t understand the Georgiana/Lockhart storyline. Is he an Austen character I missed somewhere? Everyone else is easily identifiable, btw the Actor that plays Coburn might’ve watched Matthew McFayden’s Darcy a bit too much… Anyway, I can’t help but think the artist just wants her money, he told her what he would do with it…travel, drink, bed. They’d be broke in 6 months. It’s just a really odd character.

I hate what they are doing with Esther, where the heck is Babbington? Why is he not writing her aunt or anyone else in town saying he’s worried that he hasn’t heard from her?

I think everyone must get rejected in the finale except for the sister (because she’s dispensable to the story) and a wedding would be nice. With a confirmed season 3 there’s going to be a cliffhanger.

• Love 4

“Colonel Lennox is a good man.” LOL, Alison, no. Just no.

Alison is so much better away from Captain Stolen Valor. That guys sucks, and I am happy she ripped into him. And I’m glad that she is noticing what a good guy Fraser is.

My gosh, Esther’s aunt is a nasty piece of work! She can be funny at times, but generally, what a miserable old witch. How did nobody at the party, including the doctor, realize what was up with Esther?!

I always find it funny that at the balls, everyone seems to know all of the dance steps. Like, how?

I want to believe that the artist isn’t up to something, but I keep getting this uneasy feeling. Feels like he might be after Georgiana’s money.

Poor Leo! Wish she could have been protected from that secret.

Edited by SonofaBiscuit
  • Love 4

I have to say Esther's desolation and pain is ruining this whole show for me. Since they couldn't get the Babbington actor back and they didn't recast this may end in Esthers suicide.

Not what I would call a satisfying romantic viewing experience. Do I really want to watch another season of this?

• Love 5

Esther and Babington were my favorite thing about S1, so I was incredibly sad Mark Stanley was unavailable for S2.  But this is the best they could do without him?  Ugh.  I detest gaslighting storylines, always have.  And I detest the character of Edward, he's just awful.  Charlotte Spencer is doing great work, I just wish she had better stuff to work with.

That dance tonight with Fraser and Alison was just dreamy.  I admit I'm not really in to the other romantic subplots this season, but I am shipping these two.  I just want Fraser to be happy!

• Love 8
1 hour ago, scenicbyway said:

I can’t help but think the artist just wants her money, he told her what he would do with it…travel, drink, bed. They’d be broke in 6 months.

Sure looks that way. I mean: The Flirty Artist waits until they've more or less(?) consummated their relationship to tell her he's leaving tomorrow? Yeah, I fell for that one too back in the day. It's an old, old story.
Did they make the beast with 2 backs? Or just snog? Arthur is a terrible chaperone. Is Georgiana pregnant now?

1 hour ago, scenicbyway said:

I hate what they are doing with Esther, where the heck is Babbington? Why is he not writing her aunt or anyone else in town saying he’s worried that he hasn’t heard from her?

I guess Edward is controlling all the mail going in and out of the Denhams. 

20 minutes ago, magdalene said:

I have to say Esther's desolation and pain is ruining this whole show for me. Since they couldn't get the Babbington actor back and they didn't recast this may end in Esthers suicide.

Not what I would call a satisfying romantic viewing experience. Do I really want to watch another season of this?

2 minutes ago, JenMD said:

Esther and Babington were my favorite thing about S1, so I was incredibly sad Mark Stanley was unavailable for S2.  But this is the best they could do without him?  Ugh.  I detest gaslighting storylines, always have.  And I detest the character of Edward, he's just awful.  Charlotte Spencer is doing great work, I just wish she had better stuff to work with.

Ugh. I know. It's like the writers thought: What? We have to write out Babbington after writing the most beautiful love story ever with him? All righty then. Heartbreak it is! Let us count the ways. . . [picture writers rubbing their hands together with evil, vicious glee of revenge before they type tirelessly on their keyboards, while stopping only to cackle].

• Love 5
9 minutes ago, treeofdreams said:

Tonight I especially noticed the dancing close-ups - the dances were incredibly sensuous the way they were filmed.  That's the first time I have ever seen them in that light.

The dancing was very similar to Bridgerton's.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

I am trying to concentrate on the things I liked.  Fraser and Alison turning into a charming romance. Please don't angst them up! The costumes and the dancing, and as always sweet Arthur! Charlotte learning the truth about Lennox. But that poor child was overhearing the truth and is probably going to run off.

As for the stuff I loathe - dammit! they ruined Lockhart for me.  At best he is an irresponsible artist who can't be trusted with money and practicalities.  At worst - a fortune hunter who is looking for a meal ticket to finance his art and who will run through Georgiana's fortune. Poor Arthur will be heart broken and Georgiana totally disillusioned.  It's a pity, they had actual chemistry and they are both so beautiful.

My guess for the season finale - Esther will be carted off to the asylum as one of the cliffhangers. Oh joy.

Somebody shove Edward off a very tall cliff, I would so enjoy him going splat!

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 9

It's all very Regency Romance 101:

• Little Heywood ends up with Capt. Fraser
  • Charlotte falls in love with her boss
  • Georgiana is seduced by and is going to run off with the painter

I wish they would recast the part of Babbington so Esther will be rescued from the upcoming insane asylum stay. 

I was actually surprised to hear the Leo is really Lennox's daughter, although I shouldn't have been. I wonder if she'll run off to try to join him and how he'll react.

7 hours ago, treeofdreams said:

the dances were incredibly sensuous the way they were filmed. 

Yes, they really were a vertical expression of a horizontal idea.

ETA: one thing I wondered about. Is Lennox embezzling from the army and that's how he affords that estate he mentioned to Charlotte when he proposed? Is that why the troop is playing dine-and-dash around England?

Edited by NeenerNeener
  • Useful 1
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, NeenerNeener said:

I was actually surprised to hear the Leo is really Lennox's daughter, although I shouldn't have been. I wonder if she'll run off to try to join him and how he'll react

So that’s why they had her playing soldier when we first met her!   
Chekhovian Child Sword Play! 

1 hour ago, NeenerNeener said:

they really were a vertical expression of a horizontal idea

Ooo! “Vertical expression of a horizontal idea” is a perfect description of their dancing!

• Love 5

I have Peacock so I was able to see episode 6 last night after midnight.

I'd never spoil it for everyone, but it is FANTASTIC!!!!!! 💖🎉Can't wait to discuss!!!!

Edited by seasons
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, scenicbyway said:

I don’t understand the Georgiana/Lockhart storyline. Is he an Austen character I missed somewhere? Everyone else is easily identifiable, btw the Actor that plays Coburn might’ve watched Matthew McFayden’s Darcy a bit too much… Anyway, I can’t help but think the artist just wants her money, he told her what he would do with it…travel, drink, bed. They’d be broke in 6 months. It’s just a really odd character.

I like that he's not an easy character to figure out. The other men are so obvious!

This "hiding the letters" plot is dumb. I believe that Lord Babbington by now would have gotten in his carriage and come to find out why his wife was not answering his letters. Maybe it would have worked for two weeks but people back then wrote often, so after that he would have been contacting Lady D and everyone he knew in Sanditon, frantic with worry. 

12 hours ago, SonofaBiscuit said:

My gosh, Esther’s aunt is a nasty piece of work! She can be funny at times, but generally, what a miserable old witch. How did nobody at the party, including the doctor, realize what was up with Esther?!

I always find it funny that at the balls, everyone seems to know all of the dance steps. Like, how?

I really thought that the doctor suspected what was really going on with Esther and would quietly investigate. Very disappointed at the entire "she's going mad" plot and that he's also an idiot who can't figure it out. Interesting that he admitted the tincture he gave her was a placebo. So, why isn't he more suspicious? PLEASE let him figure it out, or let 

They did take dancing lessons, but yes, I don't think the dances were quite what the choreographers are creating for us today!

11 hours ago, magdalene said:

NO! I do not. It's ruining their charming love story and how much I enjoy watching her character, for me the best part of the series. I hope this plot device is exposed next episode and doesn't carry over.

• Love 6

This "hiding the letters" plot is dumb. I believe that Lord Babbington by now would have gotten in his carriage and come to find out why his wife was not answering his letters. Maybe it would have worked for two weeks but people back then wrote often, so after that he would have been contacting Lady D and everyone he knew in Sanditon, frantic with worry. 

Agreed. Either Babbington himself would have arrived by now or else he would have sent someone to investigate. OR Esther would have gotten into a carriage and gone to find him. This is all very contrived. 

I also don't know how Lennox expected to get away with such a flimsy story about why Colbourne was "bad." Lennox is the one who was fooling around with a married woman. That's not an easy thing to cover up and he had no way of knowing Colbourne would keep his mouth shut about it. 

And now that Tom knows what Lennox is up to, he should have publicly exposed him as a liar and a cheat, maybe right there at the ball in front of everyone. Confront him and tell him he knows he takes his regiment from town to town draining them and running off without paying the tab. Or, I don't know, at least tell Charlotte, who he knows is being courted by him.

• Love 10
37 minutes ago, RedHawk said:

I really thought that the doctor suspected what was really going on with Esther and would quietly investigate. Very disappointed at the entire "she's going mad" plot and that he's also an idiot who can't figure it out. Interesting that he admitted the tincture he gave her was a placebo. So, why isn't he more suspicious?

The doctor labeled her condition as "hysteria", which is what doctors did when a woman was having problems he couldn't diagnose.  "It's just hysteria, you know, a female trouble."

Which is where the term "hysterical" came from.

Their other fall-back is to send a woman to the madhouse.  Heaven forbid they try to understand what's really happening to her.

Edited by treeofdreams
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, treeofdreams said:

The doctor labeled her condition as "hysteria", which is what doctors did when a woman was having problems he couldn't diagnose.  "It's just hysteria, you know, a female trouble."

Which is where the term "hysterical" came from.

Their other fall-back is to send a woman to the madhouse.  Heaven forbid they try to understand what's really happening to her.

Yes, knowing the history of "hysteria" made it even more disappointing to me that the doctor diagnosed her with it. I so hoped he would be smart enough to at least suspect something was wrong, ask some questions, and then expose Edward's scheme. Perhaps he still will.

Edited by RedHawk
  • Love 3
32 minutes ago, RedHawk said:

Yes, knowing the history of "hysteria" made it even more disappointing to me that the doctor diagnosed her with it. I so hoped he would be smart enough to at least suspect something was wrong, ask some questions, and then expose Edward's scheme. Perhaps he still will.

The doctor is a quack.  I don't think there is any hope from him.

Back then women's health - both mental and physical - was dismissed rather than studied.  It was generally considered that women were "weak of mind" so any problems were all in their heads.  And any husband who wanted to get rid of a wife could have her packed off to an institution.

This is particularly telling - Reasons for admission to a women's insane asylum:

AdmissionToWomen'sInsaneAsylum1864to1889.jpg

• Useful 5
  • Love 2

I really enjoyed last night's episode (mostly).

I loved Charlotte finally seeing the dark side of Colonel Lennox and thrilled at her smoochy face with Colburn, and I loved her sister and Captain Frazer getting together. He's such a cutie and so sweet. I loved her smiles as she seemed to realize that he was the real deal.

I hated what they're doing to Esther, but it works from a dramatic standpoint. I sincerely hope, however, that they don't end her story the way it's heading. She deserves a happy ending, hopefully from the baby-mama (can't remember her name, sorry) who has a heart somewhere down in there.  I really hope she turns on Edward.

On the other hand the Georgiana/Lockhart story isn't working for me at all. She's adorable, but I'm sick of her sulking, and he is (I'm sorry) just not coming across as interested in women for me.  I honestly thought he was more into Jolly.  I'm shocked if he's genuinely interested in Georgiana.   I really want her to get her other guy back. They had true chemistry. This feels weird to me.  
She deserves a happy ending, but that guy just isn't it.

• Love 8
7 hours ago, seasons said:

I have Peacock so I was able to see episode 6 last night after midnight.

I'd never spoil it for everyone, but it is FANTASTIC!!!!!! 💖🎉Can't wait to discuss!!!!

So many great posts....I could heart them all.

But is episode 6 really on Peacock already?!  I have Peacock so I better check this out.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, norcalgal said:

But is episode 6 really on Peacock already?!  I have Peacock so I better check this out.

I couldn't find it on regular Peacock. I had to buy a $6/mo subscription to PBS Passport so I could watch it this afternoon. The ending is mostly satisfactory; the other bits are going to be fixed in Season 3, I hope.

Edited by NeenerNeener
  • Love 1
20 hours ago, treeofdreams said:

Tonight I especially noticed the dancing close-ups - the dances were incredibly sensuous the way they were filmed.  That's the first time I have ever seen them in that light.

Also, a  shallow note, but both dance partners would be wearing gloves.  I noticed when Charlotte's sister was dancing with the one guy, he didn't have gloves on. Noticed some of the women didn't either when dancing. 

I have a feeling that Lennox will elope with Cobourne's  niece.  Just to get revenge on Cobourne. Like Whickham and Georgianna in Pride and Prejudice.  

• Love 1

Wow, they went full Wickoughby here. So Lennox did the Wickham "that other guy is terrible" routine, knowing the other guy wouldn't want to explain who the terrible person really was because it would reveal too many secrets so he wouldn't be able to counter what was said about him, a la Wickham and Darcy, plus he got a woman pregnant and then abandoned her, a la Willoughby.

Something I've been pondering about the artist: He must have some kind of status, given that he keeps being invited to things. He was invited to the dinner, which seems to have mostly involved people in the upper crust. The garden party in the earlier episode may have been one of those "the lady of the manor gives the obligatory garden party for the entire community" events, but he was with the manor gang, not hanging with the poors. And then he was invited to the ball. So, is it meaningful and he's some kind of gentleman, or is it just this show putting all the characters there without consideration about whether or not they'd all have reason to be invited?

I'm still thinking he has his own money. He said if he had money, he'd travel, and then he announced that he was traveling. So does that mean he actually has money and he phrased that carefully, playing along with her assuming he's a penniless artist? But that may be too subtle for this show. And he did talk about not taking more commissions, so maybe he really does need to earn money, though that could also be that he only took the commission from her to have the excuse to paint her, and that means that because he does have money, he'll stop taking commissions when he's done painting her.

22 hours ago, HoodlumSheep said:

Re: Colbourne's wife--walked out into the rain??? How very Wuthering Heights of her.

That was also in Sense and Sensibility. When Marianne is depressed about getting snubbed/dumped by Willoughby, she goes out walking, gets caught in the rain, gets really sick, and nearly dies, but that's how she learns that Colonel Brandon is a good man (even though I always thought he was more compatible with Elinor, and they were the ones who actually bonded during the illness).

22 hours ago, SonofaBiscuit said:

They were pattern/set dances. It's kind of like square dancing or the Virginia Reel that we used to have to do in PE class when I was a kid. They never show it in these things, but there might have been a caller calling out the moves to do. There were also known patterns that you'd do, and they'd announce which pattern it was going to be. And there would have been a head couple at the end of the line leading the moves that everyone else could follow. It's kind of like things like the Electric Slide or the Macarena, where most people would know the moves when a certain piece of music was being played.

• Like 1
  • Useful 4
  • Love 7

ARGGGG!!  I just lost patience and signed up for the free trial of PBS Passport on Amazon Prime so I could watch the last episode.  All was going so well... working out exactly as I both expected and wanted and then....

They got me!  Yup. I'm gonna have to watch Season 3.  lol

I'm still mostly happy. I know it'll work out as it should. It better. haha

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3