Type keyword(s) to search

Sanditon - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I know I'm in the minority here, but I don't get TOO hung up on the details & enjoy the show. The hair not being up is no biggie for me, although - for that era - it should probably be longer.  I didn't care for Sidney in the beginning either, but he grew on me & I got to like him w/Charlotte. VERY disappointed that the actor didn't come back. As a once rabid soap opera watcher, I am holding out a (very)faint hope for a mistaken-identity/return-from-the-dead surprise! I'd have been OK w/young Stringer too. (what are the odds - both were unavailable!) I liked Tom Weston-Jones in 'Copper' a few years ago but not sure about him yet on Sanditon. I'm willing to watch & see what happens.

• Love 8
22 hours ago, Souris said:

I simply CANNOT with Charlotte’s military love interest (Lennox?). I had to stop watching “Dickensian” because that actor’s character was so utterly vile. I can’t shake that association.

I was bothered by Charlotte’s hair for the first time. It was a mess. And all the shirtless men was just NOT DONE around ladies. And unmarried ladies hanging around men unchaperoned. Anachronistic madness!

THAT'S WHERE HE'S FROM!!!!!! It's been bugging me the past few days. He looked so familiar! 

I guess I should give my thoughts on Charlotte's new beaus:

Col. Lennox: meh. He's fine I guess? That's it though. Tbh I think the odds are way more in his favor bc I don't really see them pairing young Charlotte with a dad (who also has a niece almost her age). Idk. Just a feeling I get. 

I can see myself growing disdain for this potential pairing solely thanks to Allison's antics, however. I finally figured out my main issue with the sis! She is literally the 'best friend' character from quite literally every Hallmark Channel movie ever made. Go watch a Hallmark movie if you don't believe me!

Charlotte's new boss: He feels like he's been ripped straight out of Jane Eyre. Can't wait to find out about the wife he has locked away somewhere in his house...

Out of the two I find him more intriguing than the colonel so far. He has an icy heart that needs thawing and that's more up my alley than whatever Lennox has going on for him. He also has a dog, so +1 for him. Totally shallow thought: with sanditon trying to be all modern, etc. Would they pair Charlotte up with her boss? 🤔

• Love 6
1 hour ago, 4merBachAddict said:

As a once rabid soap opera watcher, I am holding out a (very)faint hope for a mistaken-identity/return-from-the-dead surprise

Heh, well, as a once rabid scifi watcher myself: No body = Not dead.
So you might be onto something.
But I hope not.
Theo James is great, but the character of Sydney was just irritating, IMO.

1 hour ago, HoodlumSheep said:

Charlotte's new boss: He feels like he's been ripped straight out of Jane Eyre. Can't wait to find out about the wife he has locked away somewhere in his house...

Out of the two I find him more intriguing than the colonel so far. He has an icy heart that needs thawing and that's more up my alley than whatever Lennox has going on for him. He also has a dog, so +1 for him. Totally shallow thought: with sanditon trying to be all modern, etc. Would they pair Charlotte up with her boss? 🤔

I kept expecting a view of the single dad looking out the window to see if Fido gave the paws-up in favor of Charlotte or not (which Fido did).
But why do you think it's "shallow" for you to question the ethics of Charlotte getting paired up with her boss? Seems like a valid concern and/or topic for discussion to me.🤷‍♀️

• Love 5
On 3/21/2022 at 9:22 PM, Shanna Marie said:

Given how hard they hit the thing about how Georgiana is being swarmed by all the fortune hunters and can't tell who might really like her, plus the cliffhanger revelation that Sidney was seeing to her affairs when he died, I'm guessing that her plot will involve her somehow losing her fortune. Then she'll be able to figure out who really likes her for herself. And then after that guy has committed, the good news will come that her fortune is intact, after all.

I was thinking the same thing, Shanna Marie.  Kinda like a Victorian Joe Millionaire!😊

• Love 2
7 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I kept expecting a view of the single dad looking out the window to see if Fido gave the paws-up in favor of Charlotte or not (which Fido did).

But why do you think it's "shallow" for you to question the ethics of Charlotte getting paired up with her boss? Seems like a valid concern and/or topic for discussion to me.🤷‍♀️

I was waiting for him to see Charlotte and the dog getting along too! I suppose seeing it running off after her was close enough and a good enough sign.

The shallow comment was more aimed at the writers and their potential thought processes regarding the pairing and their attempt at a more modern Austen gal, not myself (or anyone questioning the ethics). I admit shallow isn't quite the word I'm looking for but nothing else comes to mind in the moment. Maybe if I can compose my thoughts better...

Also:

Does season 2 have different writers? Just wondering, bc it feels like it. 

Edited by HoodlumSheep
  • Useful 1
12 hours ago, treeofdreams said:

I must have missed something.  Charlotte is a farmer's daughter; how did she become educated enough to be a governess?

In addition to this great response:

11 hours ago, Shanna Marie said:

She's country gentry, about the same as the Bennet girls in P&P.

and probable explanation, education in that era was fairly self-driven. Even today, if someone is pursuing higher education, others ask, “What are you reading?”, instead of what are you studying, or what’s your major? It’s not like here (and never was) where we go to class, learn the lessons, regurgitate. 

I think it tells us more about her character. She obviously wanted to be well-read, fluent in languages, mathematics, philosophy, and knowledgeable in treating injuries (there is history there, explanation from S1,  just can’t remember what it was or why she was doing it on/near the farm). She wasn’t content to simply learn cooking, housekeeping, and embroidery. And aside from that, what else was there to occupy one’s time?

• Like 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Daff said:

She wasn’t content to simply learn cooking, housekeeping, and embroidery. And aside from that, what else was there to occupy one’s time?

She had 11 brothers and sisters, and her father worked a farm.  So I imagine she had a lot of child care to do, as well as tending to the farm animals.  If they don't have servants, it would also be a LOT of laundry and cooking,  I'm surprised Charlotte had time to open a book, much less become fluent in French or anything else.

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
18 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Oh, I hope not. I shudder to think what they would do with the character if that were the case. The story of a black woman of that era, who is pursued solely for her fortune, suddenly finding herself destitute would be horrific to portray realistically and impossible to buy as a color-blind fantasy.

Maybe there will be a brief scare, but that will give her the idea to pretend she lost her fortune as a way of testing her suitors. Either way, I wouldn't expect it to be a season-long plot. They'd spend most of the season building up the potential relationships, with maybe a couple of guys she kind of likes but can't let herself trust. Then in the episode before the finale, she learns she's lost her fortune (after hints all season about the possibility). We have maybe half that episode and the first half of the finale for reactions to that so we can see how the guys react, and one of them doesn't care and offers to marry her so she'll be provided for, and then after she's realized that he loves her for herself, another letter comes, saying "Oh wait, never mind, the money is safe." Or she gets that letter but pretends she hasn't as a way of testing the guys.

This is just speculation based on having consumed fiction before. Dickens used the testing plot to ensure that the girl loved the guy for himself rather than because he was an heir in Our Mutual Friend, and then there was the bit in Downton Abbey when Mary started hesitating about Matthew after she learned her mother was pregnant and if it was a boy that meant Matthew wouldn't inherit the estate and title, and her hesitation soured him on her for a while.

2 hours ago, izabella said:

If they don't have servants, it would also be a LOT of laundry and cooking

They would have had servants. Even relatively poor members of the gentry had servants in that period. The Dashwood women in S&S had an indoor maid and an outdoor male servant, and they were so poverty-stricken that they relied on the kindness of distant relatives to live. Labor was ridiculously cheap, and household staff might not get much more than room and board (so a job just meant they wouldn't starve and be homeless). A landowner would have had people to deal with laundry and cooking. Charlotte probably wouldn't have been taught cookery, just household management, like how to plan menus and budget for buying food so she could manage a cook. Someone else would do the actual cooking (though this is Charlotte, so we'll probably learn she's a gourmet chef and so independent that she cooks for herself). She would have learned sewing and likely would have handled a lot of the child care, possibly even teaching some of the younger children, but she likely wouldn't have been busy from dawn til dusk.

There was no hint of poverty in season one. She was treated as a gentleman's daughter and had spending money. It's only in this season when several bad harvests in a row have made her worry about money enough to look for a job so she doesn't have to get married. It's plot poverty.

• Love 4

Yes I'd much rather rely on the recaps than pay to re-watch the first season. I did manage to re-watch the first two episodes, however. 

There was a sister called Alison in the first episode last season, but it was a different girl and she wasn't blonde.

Also, there seemed to be only 2 Parker children from what I could see; now there's three.

How much time has passed between seasons (in-show)? They rebuilt half of Sanditon that burned down since then. I'm thinking that had to take a few years.

I rewatched S1 before starting S2. We saw the Parkers with three children, two girls and a small boy.

As far as the time between seasons, in S2E1 Lady Denham says to Esther something like 8 1/2 months is long enuf to get pregnant.

Loved that recap. I'll have to keep up with that.

Can't say I'm too fond of any of the new characters yet, except for the Reverend's sister. I loved that actress in Lark Rise to Candleford

I don't trust the Captain. There's something about him that's off. Seems like Charlotte and the father of the two girls that she's governess for are going to fall for each other. Can't say I like him or the actor yet, but there you are.

Looks like Arthur has lost weight. I'm glad his sister is out of the picture; he's less quirky now.

Charlotte's sister annoys me. 

Not sure what to think about the artist. He seems interested in Georgianna but also gives off a gay vibe. :shrug:

• Love 4
1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

Not sure what to think about the artist. He seems interested in Georgianna but also gives off a gay vibe. :shrug:

I think he’s interested and so is she. For her, it’s a big plus that he seems to be interested in HER and not her money. I’d love it he had his own and doesn’t need hers.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, chitowngirl said:

I think he’s interested and so is she. For her, it’s a big plus that he seems to be interested in HER and not her money. I’d love it he had his own and doesn’t need hers.

I'm assuming that since this is Austen-based there will not be a thruple, right? 
But might Georgiana marry the artist as his beard so the artist and Jolly can be together? (if the artist and Jolly are gay)

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Can't say I'm too fond of any of the new characters yet, except for the Reverend's sister. I loved that actress in Lark Rise to Candleford

Oh!  I thought that sister looked familiar but I couldn't place her.

1 hour ago, chitowngirl said:

As for the artist, he too gave me a gay vibe (unfortunately, that does play into a certain stereotype of the gay man in the creative arts), but I would like him to love Georgianna for herself too. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I rewatched S1 before starting S2. We saw the Parkers with three children, two girls and a small boy.

There was also a baby in the very first episode, when Charlotte was first introduced to the family. I wasn't paying super-close, but I'm pretty sure we never saw him (I think it was a him; they introduced all four kids by name) again. 

17 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

Margaret Brown, the very shy woman who married the postman.

Thank you!  I did not get a good look at her and did not recognize her.  I loved Margaret, she was one of my favorites as well.

(Actually, I had quite a few favorites in Lark Rise;  I love that series!)

• Love 3
On 3/20/2022 at 7:13 PM, HoodlumSheep said:

Someone with historical knowledge please explain to me how becoming a governess is a step down from being a farmer's daughter?????

She is a gentleman’s daughter, not titled aristocracy but a landowner with modest wealth. He likely had tenants and hired hands who did the actual labor of farming and raising livestock. She received a decent education including French, piano, and the classics. She is very much on par with Elizabeth Bennet and her family would have aspired for her to marry into another landowning family or perhaps minor aristocracy. Her life’s work would be producing heirs and managing the household, not milking cows or threshing wheat.

For any woman to not marry and to depend on her own skills to earn a living was a very risky proposition in that era. She would have been paid very little and been at the mercy of a master who had none of the civil or religious obligations of a husband. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
13 minutes ago, EssieMay said:

For any woman to not marry and to depend on her own skills to earn a living was a very risky proposition in that era. She would have been paid very little and been at the mercy of a master who had none of the civil or religious obligations of a husband. 

Would Charlotte's father have approved of her becoming a governess? 

15 minutes ago, izabella said:

31 minutes ago, EssieMay said:

Expand  

Would Charlotte's father have approved of her becoming a governess? 

Definitely not. Her future would be one of poverty. She would never have children. She had stepped from a leisure class into a working class. Rather than managing a household of servants she became one. 

Another poster said quite well that becoming a governess was one of the options available to an educated woman who was unmarriageable. Whether this was due to lack of family connections, no dowry, an unfortunate appearance, or she had simply aged out of the marriage market and her family could or would not support her, it was not a happy choice but one of necessity.

Edited by EssieMay
typos
  • Useful 3

I was quite surprised to see Sanditon show up again on my TV show tracker. Was also disappointed to learn right off the bat that Theo James wasn't returning. After watching S2E1, I'm wondering if the producers have to pay him to use Sidney's disembodied voice. Maybe not since it's just old dialogue from the first season.

This season seems a lot messier to me than the first one. So far, anyway.

• Love 1

Charlotte??? With her hair up the entire episode???? Charlotte Heywood??? Are we really sure it's her??? Someone hold me, I might faint!

Jolly Parker matchmaking was adorable to watch. Give him his theatre, dang it all!!!

Mr. Artiste™ Lockhart is an interesting fellow, but he's kind of hard to read romance wise. Like as much as he's being set up with Georgiana...I could see them trying to pull something with him and Arthur too?? Which, Idk. I wouldn't prefer it so much just bc I just don't really see Arthur as interested in romance (for himself) whatsoever? Idk. I guess we'll see.

And we're getting the classic Cyrano trope with Alison/Carter/Frasier (Frazier?)

Col. Lennox...hmmm the gambling situation with Tom and jolly Parker had me nervous. Gave sketchy vibes. 

Warming up to governess Charlotte. I loved how it turned out to be Colbourne whom the head housekeeper (???) Made the bet with.

*it still bugs me how they've treated the Edward aftermath. I know time has passed, but still...

Also, although it was with Edward, seeing Ms. hankins getting to dance warmed my heart. 

Edited by HoodlumSheep
  • Love 11
On 3/22/2022 at 12:29 AM, shapeshifter said:

Charlotte's sister has no money, so I don't think that plot works, but I do agree some variation of a Wickham plot is likely. I just hope they don't have him involved in any rape→pregnancy plot with anyone. 

Oops, too late. Scheming niece is back and pregnant. But is it really Edward's?

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Oops, too late. Scheming niece is back and pregnant. But is it really Edward's?

Regardless of whose baby it is, I think Esther's problem has been solved.  Did the voodoo lady Esther visited conjure scheming pregnant niece out of thin air???? 😜

If it makes her happy, I say go for it, but you know it won't remain a secret for long.

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Suzysite said:

Charlotte's sister has no money, so I don't think that plot works, but I do agree some variation of a Wickham plot is likely.

It seems more like a Marianne Dashwood/Willoughby vibe.  

Also, although it was with Edward, seeing Ms. Hankins getting to dance warmed my heart. 

She really has the loveliest smile!  It was fun seeing her so happy - she probably rarely has the opportunity to dance.

Charlotte??? With her hair up the entire episode???? Charlotte Heywood??? Are we really sure it's her??? Someone hold me, I might faint!

I found the hair down in the first season believable, because she was a farmer's daughter and lived in that society, as we saw her at the beginning dance, where all the girls had their hair down.  Back at Sanditon now, she wears her hair up to fit into that society.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, treeofdreams said:

I found the hair down in the first season believable, because she was a farmer's daughter and lived in that society, as we saw her at the beginning dance, where all the girls had their hair down.  Back at Sanditon now, she wears her hair up to fit into that society.

Also, wearing her hair up to apply for the governess position is not unlike putting on a suit (or whatever is appropriate) today when applying for a job.

So would a child from Edward and Clara inherit the estate from Lady Denham? And does that even matter since Esther is married to a man with property?

2 hours ago, HoodlumSheep said:

Col. Lennox...hmmm the gambling situation with Tom and jolly Parker had me nervous.

Tom gambling made my stomach hurt. I don't know if I can continue if that going to be a slow destruction throughout the season.

• Love 2

I liked the second episode of season 2 a lot better than episode 1. And dare I say I know where things are heading for the most part.

Charlotte's naive and shallow sister is falling for the wrong guy, while the right guy is the "homely" soldier boy doing Cyrano for pretty soldier boy.

Col. Lennox isn't to be trusted, he is going to lead Mr.Parker into gambling addiction. So, it's the employer/governess romance for Charlotte. Does he have a crazy wife in the attic?

I love Esther. I wish they could  get Mark Stanley back for season 3. I want her happy. I love jolly Parker. 

I haven't gotten a total read on the artist yet. The actor reminds me a bit of Javier in The Witcher.

Edited by magdalene
  • Love 8
6 hours ago, magdalene said:

Col. Lennox isn't to be trusted, he is going to lead Mr.Parker into gambling addiction.

Plus, he's got Resting Bitch Face, which is probably great for an officer in the military but maybe not so great for figuring out if your hubster is really mad about something right now or just thinking about cricket. And yes, I see Mr. Parker losing all that's left of his money to the soldiers, and the silly sister being in love with the wrong soldier.

I can see Georgiana running away with the artist just to be a rebel, and coming back disgraced. I'm also waiting for them to tell her she's actually broke right now.

• Love 3

I knew there would be much delight on this board: Charlotte's hair is.....UP!!!! 

Again: LOVED Esther's classic eye roll moment! Hope she continues to 'ice' Edward! (But what a hideous dress she was in at the end of the episode!)

I am a Charlotte fan & don't like either suitor for her: something off about Lennox (not sure what) & the recluse dad is kind a boring dud - at least so far. May change. (Yes - I'm still a Sidney fan - no matter how slim the chances 😢)

Cannot figure out yet where they are going w/Georgiana, Arthur & Lockhart........

• Love 4

Charlotte's naive and shallow sister is falling for the wrong guy, while the right guy is the "homely" soldier boy doing Cyrano for pretty soldier boy.

I prefer Fraser over Carter. The latter just seems like an immature boy.

I haven't gotten a total read on the artist yet. The actor reminds me a bit of Javier in The Witcher.

He played Louis XIV's brother in Versailles. I have a hard time not seeing him as that.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
11 hours ago, treeofdreams said:
11 hours ago, magdalene said:

So, it's the employer/governess romance for Charlotte. Does he have a crazy wife in the attic?

I was thinking Sound of Music...

That was exactly where my brain went. The scene in which Charlotte laid into the boss about being too busy and not knowing what was going on with the girls was so much like the scene in The Sound of Music in which Maria tells the Captain what he doesn't know about his own kids that I heard it in my head in Julie Andrews's voice. And then I laughed out loud because this show is just so ridiculous.

And then we're getting Cyrano. I hope this means younger sister will end up with the other officer because he's actually more attractive to me than the one she's hung up on (though I actually can't tell them apart unless they're on screen together at the same time).

• Love 8
15 hours ago, HoodlumSheep said:

Col. Lennox...hmmm the gambling situation with Tom and jolly Parker had me nervous. Gave sketchy vibes. 

Definitely. Of course I worry for Tom, but I'm also concerned for Charlotte. I always was uncomfortable with Lennox, so my spidey sense was working.

12 hours ago, magdalene said:

I haven't gotten a total read on the artist yet. 

Seems he's showing an interest in both Georgianna AND Jolly Parker. Hmmmm.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Shanna Marie said:

The scene in which Charlotte laid into the boss about being too busy and not knowing what was going on with the girls was so much like the scene in The Sound of Music in which Maria tells the Captain what he doesn't know about his own kids that I heard it in my head in Julie Andrews's voice. And then I laughed out loud because this show is just so ridiculous.

Also how the girls treat Charlotte like the von Trapp children played tricks on Maria.  And the boss closing off music because of his wife's death.  Next I suppose we will see them all singing together after Maria - I mean Charlotte - gets them all together as one big happy family. Too bad there isn't a mountain for them to climb at the end...

• LOL 12
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, treeofdreams said:

Next I suppose we will see them all singing together after Maria - I mean Charlotte - gets them all together as one big happy family.

They'll have some kind of adorable family musical ensemble for the climactic event, maybe the grand opening of Arthur's theater, and the planned entertainment will fall through, but Charlotte will save the day. All the guests will be charmed.

I'm trying to figure out the timeline here. It hasn't been a full year since the end of last season, has it? If Clara is pregnant by Edward, then it's less than 9 months, unless they kept hooking up after she was kicked out. And in that time they've managed to entirely rebuild the town after the fire? Using entirely hand tools, with no power saws or nail guns.

• Useful 3
  • LOL 5
  • Love 2

I'm trying to figure out the timeline here. It hasn't been a full year since the end of last season, has it? If Clara is pregnant by Edward, then it's less than 9 months, unless they kept hooking up after she was kicked out. And in that time they've managed to entirely rebuild the town after the fire? Using entirely hand tools, with no power saws or nail guns.

The timeline is certainly weird, but in episode one Lady Denham said Esther had been married for eight and a half months.  There's no way they could have built all of that in less than a year.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

They'll have some kind of adorable family musical ensemble for the climactic event, maybe the grand opening of Arthur's theater, and the planned entertainment will fall through, but Charlotte will save the day. All the guests will be charmed.

Or maybe the younger charge will inadvertently set the pianoforte on fire resulting in Charlotte single-handedly saving everyone. 
Of course, "single-handedly" does not mean that Lassie cannot lend a paw in the rescue.

in that time they've managed to entirely rebuild the town after the fire? Using entirely hand tools, with no power saws or nail guns.

16 minutes ago, Magnumfangirl said:

Lady Denham said Esther had been married for eight and a half months.  There's no way they could have built all of that in less than a year.

I'm recalling shortages of manpower from last season due to lack of funds, which led to the death of Young Stringer's father.
Perhaps Tom has already blown way too much money on the manpower required to get it rebuilt so fast. This would explain Tom's overwhelming preference to have the income of the Military billeting on his property over Jolly's suggestion to develop a theater. And perhaps this is why Tom fell prey to the temptation to gamble. 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 2
20 hours ago, magdalene said:

Col. Lennox isn't to be trusted, he is going to lead Mr.Parker into gambling addiction. 

I love Esther. I wish they could  get Mark Stanley back for season 3. I want her happy. 

I think viewers are supposed to think Carter is more handsome than Fraser (spelling per my closed caption) but is that due to the latter’s scar?  I certainly don’t think one is more handsome than the other.

please show….don’t make Lennox lead Tom down the gambling addiction path!

I finally binged Ted Lasso and it was weird seeing Esther in modern clothes, using modern speech.  And if anything, she was even more luminous than in Sanditon.

13 hours ago, 4merBachAddict said:

I am a Charlotte fan & don't like either suitor for her: something off about Lennox (not sure what) & the recluse dad is kind a boring dud - at least so far. May change. (Yes - I'm still a Sidney fan - no matter how slim the chances 😢)

Agree about both suitors and I too still ‘ship Charlotte with Sidney, but that’s mostly due to the hotness that is Theo James.

Add me to the Sound of Music callback.  In fact, I couldn’t really concentrate on the scene because I had SoM in my head.

Edited by norcalgal
  • Love 1
34 minutes ago, norcalgal said:

I think viewers are supposed to think Carter is more handsome than Fraser (spelling per my closed caption) but is that due to the latter’s scar?  I certainly don’t think one is more handsome than the other.

Yes, I think the scar is supposed to make him less handsome, but you can hardly see it. I also agree with you that it does not lessen his handsomeness.

I finally binged Ted Lasso and it was weird seeing Esther in modern clothes, using modern speech. 

What? You've made me check out her IMDB page. For a second I thought I'd find she had a larger role there. I can't say I remember her (in the Beard After Hours ep). Also, Ted Lasso is one of my favorite shows of recent time.

Edited by peeayebee
  • Love 1
54 minutes ago, norcalgal said:

When I wrote Fraser as "homely" I meant in the eyes of this shallow young girl who prefers the pretty boy.  To me Fraser is the more attractive one.

• Like 2
  • Love 4