Type keyword(s) to search

Sanditon - General Discussion

• Start Topic

18 hours ago, iMonrey said:

He played Louis XIV's brother in Versailles. I have a hard time not seeing him as that.

I was just about to ask, had no one here seen Versailles? Like that character, I sense troubled waters flowing beneath the artist’s surface. And he’s already shown leanings toward manipulation and provocation, in short time. 

• Love 3

did chuckle at Mr. Colbourne’s neice embroidering “spinster” underneath Miss Heywood’s name. What a brat! And it was pretty obvious she was setting Charlotte up even before she kept encouraging her to play the piano even louder.

I have seen the Colonel Lennox actor in other things and found him cute - but not here. His face is not as full as normal so he looks fish-like to me. I also don’t trust him with the gambling stuff and his freaking terrible judgement of Esther’s douchey step-brother.

Agree that Colonel Fraser is better looking and as a bonus, he has a very pleasant voice. He’s my choice for the sister, and I am sure that is where we are heading.

So, is Esther going to end up with that lady’s baby?

I am not sure what to think of the artist guy. Is he shady or just eccentric? How does Arthur fit into this? Is artist guy being friendly with Arthur to get to Miss Lambe, or is he interested? Artist guy did make me laugh with his comment about the lamb at dinner being a bit cold. And the scene where Arthur woke up and thought he was robbing him was funny as well.

• Love 7
31 minutes ago, SonofaBiscuit said:

Jeez, no, I hope not!  Then she'd be tied to Edward forever, and would have to raise his child and see his face every day!  No!  Esther does not deserve that kind of hell.

Edited by izabella
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, SonofaBiscuit said:

29 minutes ago, izabella said:

Jeez, no, I hope not!  Then she'd be tied to Edward forever, and would have to raise his child and see his face every day!  No!  Esther does not deserve that kind of hell.

Well, they could kill off both Edward and Clare. But if Esther is raising the baby, can Lord Babbington adopt it? How did that stuff work with regards to inheritance, noble titles, etc.?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, izabella said:
2 hours ago, SonofaBiscuit said:

That's the only thing I can think of as the reason for Clare to show up pregnant.  What other plot twist would it fit? Could Esther tell her hubby that, surprise, she was pregnant and didn't know it when she came to visit auntie? 

But as @shapeshifter said, that would be a nightmare scenario with slimy brother using it for blackmail.

It's all so soap opera.

I must say I really like the recaps better than the actual show at this point.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

Well, they could kill off both Edward and Clare.

Even if they killed them both off, Esther would still know it was their child and would see them in the child's face every day.  I can't believe she would want that daily reminder.

• Love 2
On 3/28/2022 at 12:45 AM, magdalene said:

I liked the second episode of season 2 a lot better than episode 1. And dare I say I know where things are heading for the most part.

Charlotte's naive and shallow sister is falling for the wrong guy, while the right guy is the "homely" soldier boy doing Cyrano for pretty soldier boy.

I totally agree! I immediately thought of Cyrano for this story, and can see her with the other guy. His only flaw is a scar.  He's handsome even with it, though, but I guess he's more an understated handsome than the one with the big eyes.

He's way better for her. I'm a fan.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, SonofaBiscuit said:

Artist guy did make me laugh with his comment about the lamb at dinner being a bit cold. 

Well I'M dense. I didn't even get his pun. Duh.

2 hours ago, izabella said:

Drama! Seems you've laid out why that just might happen: Esther taking Clare's baby (for whatever cause) would give a reason for Edward to continue being a part of the show in future seasons. Also, if this show does get a season 3, maybe another man would be discovered to have been Clare's lover and therefore possible father of baby.

27 minutes ago, sharifa70 said:

Masterpiece confirmed last year that there will be a third season. 

You know, that seems like good news, but I don't think I like it. I'd much rather they tell a complete story and wrap up the love stories of the main characters without dragging it out forever.  

I guess it depends on what they do with it, but I don't like the idea of them not letting Charlotte get with someone permanently because another actor will leave and then we'll be right back where we started this year. ugh.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, SonofaBiscuit said:

did chuckle at Mr. Colbourne’s neice embroidering “spinster” underneath Miss Heywood’s name. What a brat! And it was pretty obvious she was setting Charlotte up even before she kept encouraging her to play the piano even louder.

I have seen the Colonel Lennox actor in other things and found him cute - but not here. I also don’t trust him with the gambling stuff and his freaking terrible judgement of Esther’s douchey step-brother.

Agree that Colonel Fraser is better looking and as a bonus, he has a very pleasant voice. He’s my choice for the sister, and I am sure that is where we are heading.

I am not sure what to think of the artist guy. Is he shady or just eccentric? How does Arthur fit into this? Is artist guy being friendly with Arthur to get to Miss Lambe, or is he interested? Artist guy did make me laugh with his comment about the lamb at dinner being a bit cold. And the scene where Arthur woke up and thought he was robbing him was funny as well.

IA on basically the entire above post.  

3 hours ago, izabella said:

2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Well, they could kill off both Edward and Clare. But if Esther is raising the baby, can Lord Babbington adopt it? How did that stuff work with regards to inheritance, noble titles, etc.?

I'm with those of you who don't want the Babingtons to end up with Edward's baby in any way. Why would Esther want this reminder and forever tie to Edward? If she and her husband have to go the adoption route, Lord Babington would probably want someone in his own family to adopt for the blood ties/inheritance aspect.   (And that would seem more authentic to the time period too)

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I don't think I was ever clear on what everyone's relationship to Lady D is - Clara, Esther, Edward?  Anyone else?  The Parkers aren't related, right?  She was just an investor in Sanditon?

Thanks for any help here!

Edited to add:

I went back to the original fragment of Sanditon that Austen wrote.  From what I could gather, Clara is Lady D's poor cousin who she took in  to be her companion.  Edward is the nephew of Lady D's second husband.  Esther is Edward's sister, not stepsister.  The Parkers are not related.

So they changed Esther/Edwards relationship.  Did they change anything else?  (Besides the nature of the characters - everyone is charming, lovable, delightful, etc.  But of course that does not lend itself to great drama, so they changed Lady D to the cantankerous person she is here, Edward is slimy, Clara is scheming, etc.)

Edited by treeofdreams
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

I'm feeling a little letdown by the recent episode. Now I feel like they are setting her up to end with the father rather than the colonel. /sigh  And then she'll be the mother those poor orphans need, or whatever. As much as that disappoints me since I like the colonel better, I guess that would be in line with the protagonist's tastes. The first guy who's dead now was a jerk, thefather's a jerk--she apparently likes jerks, lol.

• LOL 1
On 3/29/2022 at 7:37 AM, SonofaBiscuit said:

I think the artist is interested in Lambe, but--and I could have this really wrong, I don't know--I think Arthur is misinterpreting artist guy as being interested in him. I feel like Arthur is going to end up revealing something about himself that artist guy then blackmails to get closer to Lambe. I can't quite recall everything about the Arthur character, but I do remember him saying he wasn't interested in marriage in episode 1 of the new season...

Yes, I think the writer in the WGBH recap suggests that Arthur will misinterpret the artist's romantic plans. I had been thinking that the artist could be interested in Arthur, but it seems more likely that Arthur (who seems to be gay) is going to fall for the artist. (Man, I need to learn his name!) I'm not sure how that would happen since Arthur knows that the artist is interested in Georgianna. Maybe Arthur will simply develop a crush.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

Yes, I think the writer in the WGBH recap suggests that Arthur will misinterpret the artist's romantic plans. I had been thinking that the artist could be interested in Arthur, but it seems more likely that Arthur (who seems to be gay) is going to fall for the artist. (Man, I need to learn his name!) I'm not sure how that would happen since Arthur knows that the artist is interested in Georgianna. Maybe Arthur will simply develop a crush.

Arthur seems to be matchmaking between Georgiana and the artist.  Didn't he switch place settings at that dinner to get them closer together?

Isn't the artist's name Charles Lockhart?

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

Thanks. Yes, Charles Lockhart.

I just looked at the actor's IMDB page. Alexander Vlahos. I've seen him in The Indian Doctor, and of course looked quite different. He's also in the new season of Outlander.

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I'm feeling a little letdown by the recent episode. Now I feel like they are setting her up to end with the father rather than the colonel. /sigh  And then she'll be the mother those poor orphans need, or whatever. As much as that disappoints me since I like the colonel better, I guess that would be in line with the protagonist's tastes. The first guy who's dead now was a jerk, thefather's a jerk--she apparently likes jerks, lol.

The only way I would like the colonel for Charlotte is if the colonel realizes that Tom has a gambling problem coupled with a cash flow problem that has potential to ruin Tom’s family (as is the way with gambling addiction) and so the colonel actively stages an intervention for Tom (however that would happen in that time and place).

If the colonel succeeds in helping Tom see the error of his ways, then the colonel will be a hero worthy of Charlotte, and together they can ride off into many sunsets and sunrises to save their world and live happily ever after.

• Love 3

So this season Charlotte is a cross between Jane Eyre and Maria von Trapp?

Oh please no wrt Esther ending up with Clara’s baby.  

I’m enjoying the show despite its many flaws, but I never would have believed a Masterpiece production isn’t nearly as good as the similar Bridgerton.  

• Love 2

On 3/29/2022 at 1:19 PM, SusanwatchingTV said:

You know, that seems like good news, but I don't think I like it. I'd much rather they tell a complete story and wrap up the love stories of the main characters without dragging it out forever.  

I guess it depends on what they do with it, but I don't like the idea of them not letting Charlotte get with someone permanently because another actor will leave and then we'll be right back where we started this year. ugh.

Just fyi: Season 3 has already been filmed/completed - and it is the final season.  (I know some here know this, but I just became aware today - so thought I would share.) Disappointing - to me - because it means no chance of 'smoldering Sidney' OR 'sexy, smiling Stringer' returning...... sigh 😞.  I'm hoping one of Charlotte's new suitors will grow on me, because as of now, neither one appeals to me! But who ever it turns out to be, it's already a done deal.

As far a Clara's baby, chances are good she could die in childbirth - not uncommon for those times. And Esther is in 'baby mode' - so she may see this  as fate in her desire for motherhood. However, if the child is really Edward's, it could be complicated & messy for her. 

Edited by 4merBachAddict
  • Useful 3
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I just looked at the actor's IMDB page. Alexander Vlahos.

Oh my, he's "grown up" Mordred from Merlin! I didn't recognize him...

On 3/29/2022 at 3:55 PM, treeofdreams said:

I don't think I was ever clear on what everyone's relationship to Lady D is - Clara, Esther, Edward?

OK, so if Esther and Edward are step-siblings on the show, shouldn't only one of them technically be blood related to Lady D? And Lady D seems like someone who would care/ differentiate between blood relatives and relatives through adoption, yet she seemed to treat E and E the same in season 1 (before Edward burned the will). I mean, I guess neither of them are actually related to her (since presumably the connection is through her husband), but I still find it a little odd. Was it mentioned which one was the "true" Denham?

5 minutes ago, dargosmydaddy said:

OK, so if Esther and Edward are step-siblings on the show, shouldn't only one of them technically be blood related to Lady D? And Lady D seems like someone who would care/ differentiate between blood relatives and relatives through adoption, yet she seemed to treat E and E the same in season 1 (before Edward burned the will). I mean, I guess neither of them are actually related to her (since presumably the connection is through her husband), but I still find it a little odd. Was it mentioned which one was the "true" Denham?

I believe Esther and Edward are step-siblings - different parents completely.  Lady D's  husbands were widowers  w/children when she married them. At least, I believe that's how it was presented in season 1. Feel free to correct if I am wrong. 

Edited by 4merBachAddict
4 minutes ago, dargosmydaddy said:

Neither is a true Denham.  They are only niece/nephew of the second husband, so not blood relations.

Clara was a distant cousin, so related, if not closely, by blood.

2 minutes ago, 4merBachAddict said:

I believe Esther and Edward are step-siblings: Lady D  husbands were widowers  w/children from previous marriages. At least, I believe that's how it was presented in season 1. Feel free to correct if I am not correct. 

In Austen's version, they are brother and sister, not step.  In this PBS version, they are step-siblings.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, treeofdreams said:

Neither is a true Denham.  They are only niece/nephew of the second husband, so not blood relations.

Clara was a distant cousin, so related, if not closely, by blood.

In Austen's version, they are brother and sister, not step.  In this PBS version, they are step-siblings.

Yes - I was referring to their relationship on the TV series. They share a step-parent - Lady D - but are from 2 different fathers. 

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, 4merBachAddict said:

Yes - I was referring to their relationship on the TV series. They share a step-parent - Lady D - but are from 2 different fathers. 

Actually, on the show they are her niece and nephew; from S1 E1:

• Any children, ma'am?

• No, we were not blessed. Sir Harry Denham was elderly and in poor health. And now, do you see, everybody is waiting for me to shuffle off this mortal coil so they can have my money. What do you say to that, Miss Heywood?

• If you have no direct heirs, Lady Denham, I suppose you can leave it where you please.

• Quite right. You're a sharp one, Miss Heywood. But my relations all think they have a claim on it. The Breretons, as I was a Miss Brereton. Clara there is one of many Breretons. Poor as church mice. And then there's Sir Harry's nephew and niece, Sir Edward Denham and Miss Esther, all of them hoping to do well by my demise.

• Useful 3
  • Love 5

Thank you for that clarification, shapeshifter! I vaguely remember that conversation now. 

I seem to remember another conversation between Esther and someone (maybe Clara?) where she explains how they came to be step-siblings. Did both of their widowed mothers marry Sir Henry's brother? 

Guess I will have to watch season 1 again to figure it out.

😊

Edited by 4merBachAddict
  • Useful 1
5 hours ago, dargosmydaddy said:

Wow, I didn't either! He was much more handsome on Merlin back then, not to say he's bad-looking now. Face-wise, he's changed a great deal.

Sometimes I think shows make actors look worse when they're playing bad characters, so that could be it. Edward's actor was much better-looking in the first season without that mustache... I don't mind the Clara character appearing again as much as Edward. I just assumed we would see Clara again via Charlotte happening upon her in some poor neighborhood, for example.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, 4merBachAddict said:

Just fyi: Season 3 has already been filmed/completed - and it is the final season.  (I know some here know this, but I just became aware today - so thought I would share.) Disappointing - to me - because it means no chance of 'smoldering Sidney' OR 'sexy, smiling Stringer' returning...... sigh 😞.  I'm hoping one of Charlotte's new suitors will grow on me, because as of now, neither one appeals to me! But who ever it turns out to be, it's already a done deal.

Thank you for this info. I knew there was a third season coming but I didn't know it had already been filmed and that it was the final one. It is a bummer because like you say it  means 100% certainty none of the actors returning who left after season 1. 

Sigh. I guess Esther will be a widow because I don't think they re-cast Lord Babington and how would they explain them never re-uniting.

I wonder if Lady Denham and Esther will hide Clara and try to pass off Esther as the one who is pregnant.  I wouldn't put it past the writers since it's about the least Austenesque thing I could think of beyond the sex and incest of season 1.

Edited by Haleth
  • Useful 1
5 minutes ago, Haleth said:

I wonder if Lady Denham and Esther will hide Clara and try to pass off Esther as the one who is pregnant.  I wouldn't put it past the writers since it's about the least Austenesque thing I could think of beyond the sex and incest of season 1.

This would also make Esther the mother of an heir to Babbington's money.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, 4merBachAddict said:

Oh god no! Then Edward will never leave her alone!

Presuming that Clara is telling the truth and the baby is Edward's, does he even know? They both went their separate ways after Lady D threw them out.

12 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Presuming that Clara is telling the truth and the baby is Edward's, does he even know? They both went their separate ways after Lady D threw them out.

Right. My post about: 

12 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

This would also make Esther the mother of an heir to Babbington's money.

--presumes Edward doesn't know about Clara's pregnancy,
or, perhaps, will be convinced (along with everyone else) that both Clara and child died in childbirth and Esther's baby is not Clara's. The gowns the women wore in the time of Austen make it difficult to ascertain if a woman was pregnant or not. 

But if Edward does know whose baby is whose--

4 hours ago, 4merBachAddict said:

Oh god no! Then Edward will never leave her alone!

I can imagine you are right, Edward would blackmail Esther with his secret genealogy knowledge.
But how could he prove anything? Jack Fox (Edward) and Mark Stanley (Lord Babington) are of very similar phenotypes, having the same basic coloring and are very close in height.

On 4/1/2022 at 5:49 PM, Sproutlet said:

He was absolutely stunning in Versailles. Just my opinion, of course. 😊

image.png.48947ceefa8a88682eecab2b1a501b17.png

I think he is rather handsome on Sanditon too, certainly more striking than all the new men this season IMO.

• Love 3
(edited)

Col. Lennox:

Mermaid Man And Barnacle Boy Superhero GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

*If Jolly Parker doesn't trust him I don't either.

Arthur deserves better. Tom keeps dismissing him. Glad he has a friend in Georgiana and now Mr. Lockhart.

Carter's still wet behind the ears so I can't be too mad at him. Boy's panicking on how to handle his first crush/love. The lying wasn't of ill intent, but I do hope he listens to Fraser and tells Allison the truth sooner rather than later.

Edward and Clara up to their separate (for now) schemes >:(

The back and forth between Esther and Clara while climbing up the stairs gave me laugh.

Edited by HoodlumSheep
  • LOL 1
  • Love 10

Charlotte the horse whisperer 😆

Wish I could have made out what that note said that Edward stole. Ugh, I hate that Esther is stuck in this crappy storyline when she should be off happily enjoying her life with her new husband.

I wish the scene of Fraser and Alison in the rain had been longer. I like him and want to get to know him better. I can’t believe that he was out there picking flowers for Col. Lennox to give to Charlotte (and that the sister said nothing of it to her when those flowers arrived at the house).

Speaking of Col. Lennox, that guy seems like a snake…don’t trust him at all. I don’t buy what he’s selling regarding Colbourne and I find myself wondering if he possibly has something to do with all of the unpaid bills (LOL, I don’t even know if that’s possible, but he’s hella shady).

I hope that the artist is a good guy. Some of his scenes seem so ominous (like the one at the end there). I thought the camera was going to pan out and reveal that he was painting a picture of Arthur or something, but then nothing happened! And then he asked Georgiana if she was alone, but nothing came of that, either. It’s confusing me!

• Love 6

I don't trust Lennox either. As soon as he said Colbourne "stole" his girl away from him then "ruined" her I knew it was B.S. 

They're making it pretty obvious Alison will wind up with Fraser rather than Carter, although I don't know what he sees in her. She seems awfully immature to me.

I think Lockhart might be crazy? He seemed like he was in some state of mania before Miss Lambe showed up. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 4
15 hours ago, SonofaBiscuit said:

Speaking of Col. Lennox, that guy seems like a snake…don’t trust him at all. I don’t buy what he’s selling regarding Colbourne and I find myself wondering if he possibly has something to do with all of the unpaid bills (LOL, I don’t even know if that’s possible, but he’s hella shady).

Yeah, it was clear this episode he's being setup to go that direction. As the season goes along, the father becomes more likable, whereas the colonel becomes more of a villain. I wish I liked the actor for the father, but... Meh.

I paid more attention to Alexander Vlahos this episode, knowing who the actor is now. Something about the haircut and the sideburns... He looks a great deal like Tom Courtenay, even though he's much younger.

• Love 3
(edited)
55 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I think Lockhart might be crazy? He seemed like he was in some state of mania before Miss Lambe showed up. 

Yes. I wonder if the artist will harm himself or others? 😨

13 hours ago, SonofaBiscuit said:

Yes, wasn't Tom about to confront Col. Lennox about the military debts to the townspeople (who were practically breaking down Tom's door, waving unpaid bills) when Lennox took advantage of Tom's obvious gambling addiction to put Tom in the position of debtor? Last time I had suspected Lennox deliberately set Tom up to win, now that seems a sure bet. 

And now I wonder if Lennox impregnated Lucy, and Mr. Colbourne married her, which would make Leo/Leonara the Colonel's bio daughter!
Maybe not, but having Lennox say Colbourne "ruined" Lucy [whoops! he said "destroyed" not "ruined" but potayto/potahto] usually would have meant Colbourne got Lucy pregnant, right? But if Colbourne "stole" Lucy away from Lennox, it seems just as likely it was Lennox who did the "ruining/destroying." 

Interesting that both Miss Lambe and Leonora had mothers die giving birth to them. I know that was common at the time, but I wonder if there will be a bonding moment for them? 

So it looks like Esther might wind up with Clara's baby, but not under some sort of subterfuge. 
I don't recall: Was Esther possibly pregnant by Edward when she married Lord Babington? If so, that would at least mean that Clara's baby resembled the one Esther lost. 😞
Beautiful baby, BTW.

As someone who has painted and drawn portraits for decades primarily because I have a knack for getting the likenesses right, I was really annoyed with the sketch of Georgianna we caught glimpses of. Yes, the artist said it was how he saw her, but there are ways of making someone look beautiful without making it look like someone else entirely. Hrmph. </end-art-technique-rant>

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 3
10 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Maybe not, but having Lennox say Colbourne "ruined" Lucy usually would have meant Colbourne got Lucy pregnant, right? But if Colbourne "stole" Lucy away from Lennox, it seems just as likely it was Lennox who did the "ruining." 

Lennox actually said, Colbourne stole Lucy away from him and then "destroyed" her.  Which does not necessarily mean got her pregnant, as "ruined" would, so I think it is something different.  But we can't trust anything he said anyway, so we will just have to wait to find out.

This whole scene reminds me of Wickham telling his story about Darcy to Elizabeth, and flat out lying to her about what happened.

• Useful 1
  • Love 11
13 hours ago, SonofaBiscuit said:

Wish I could have made out what that note said that Edward stole. Ugh, I hate that Esther is stuck in this crappy storyline when she should be off happily enjoying her life with her new husband.

Yes.  As much as I like the actress I would have preferred if she had left too so her character would have a happy marriage with Babington. This is all going to end in tragedy for Esther one way or the other.

I wonder whether the artist is bipolar?

• Love 4
29 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

So it looks like Esther might wind up with Clara's baby, but not under some sort of subterfuge. 
I don't recall: Was Esther possibly pregnant by Edward when she married Lord Babington? If so, that would at least mean that Clara's baby resembled the one Esther lost. 😞
Beautiful baby, BTW.

I think it was established in a later episode of S1 that Esther and Edward never had sex. Perhaps in the conversation between Esther and Clara where Clara insinuated that Edward was sexually using/abusing Esther in the same way an uncle had abused Clara. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
17 minutes ago, treeofdreams said:

This whole scene reminds me of Wickham telling his story about Darcy to Elizabeth, and flat out lying to her about what happened.

Yeah, they seem to be going full-on Wickham here, with the false story about what happened to make the woman not trust the other guy.

Adding to my prediction that Georgianna will at least seem to lose her money so that she can figure out who is and isn't a golddigger, I'm guessing the artist will turn out to be wealthy but not that into material things so that it doesn't show in the way he lives.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
16 minutes ago, RedHawk said:

I think it was established in a later episode of S1 that Esther and Edward never had sex. Perhaps in the conversation between Esther and Clara where Clara insinuated that Edward was sexually using/abusing Esther in the same way an uncle had abused Clara.

I think Edward was in fact trying to seduce Esther, but she always backed off.  But he certainly was  emotionally abusing her.

I so want Esther to have a happy ending.  If this were a real Austen story, she would, but here, who knows?  Perhaps Babbington can make a cameo appearance at the end, to wrap up a happily ever after.

• Love 11