Type keyword(s) to search

Season 1 Discussion

• Start Topic

I'm enjoying seeing so many actors I've watched in Christmas movies. I can't believe Jesse Hutch was in that one fight scene getting knocked on to a table and that was it. I looked on IMDB, and it lists him as stuntman.  He's been the male lead in several movies.

I find the flashbacks tiresome. I haven't read the books, but I like the sound of the original storylines better than the over dramatic changes they've made to the show. I like the actors. Tim Matheson (Eric Stratton!) and Annette O'Toole are great. 

Editing my post since I finished the season.

I felt bad for Charmain when she said that being pregnant Jack would have been with her if Mel hadn't come along. Which makes me think she may be faking her pregnancy, otherwise they made her too sympathetic.

I've always liked Tim Matheson and it's great to see Annette O'Toole though she's not the redhead I remember. The actress playing the lead I never warmed up to in The Walking Dead or This Is Us so it took a few episodes for her to grow on me. I only knew Martin Henderson (Jack) from Britney's Toxic video where he was very handsome.

I hate the drug people and Brady but I guess they have to have some antagonists to create tension.

Edited by Armchair Critic

I walked into this cold when looking for something to watch post-holiday.  I was hoping for something to cleanse the palate after all of the insipid, boring, formulaic Hallmark movies (most of which were too bland to finish) and I was pleasantly surprised.  I have not read the books but I liked the characters and the fact that there are some evil aspects as well.  The gorgeous scenery is a character unto itself!  I love that part of British Columbia.

There are a lot of incongruities and as a nurse I was yelling at the TV about how Mel treated the lady with the diabetes.  It was completely, utterly wrong.

I am glad that there is going to be another season as I want to see what happens to Paige and whether or not Brady redeems himself.  It's no Longmire but it is entertaining.

• Love 1

I’m glad to see something from Netflix that isn’t rated MA. Hallmark movies drive me up a tree so I’m also glad this one has a bit more grit to it. I like most of the characters, except Brady and Charmaine. Something about her bugs me whether it’s the actress or the way she’s just so head over heels for a man that clearly does not feel the same way for her. Maybe she’ll die and Jack and Mel can raise the baby. Maybe she’ll lose the baby. Just get her out of the picture. That whole guilt tip on Mel at the end? That was dirty. 

Anyone know when season 2 starts and will we get the whole thing at once?

• Love 2
58 minutes ago, DaynaPhile said:

Anyone know when season 2 starts and will we get the whole thing at once?

Nothing official but I read somewhere later in 2020.  Normally they dump all of the episodes at one time.

ETA I think Charmaine's character is obviously supposed to be the "evil" one but I do have some sympathy about how she feels.  Jack said he didn't want a commitment at the beginning yet he's still squiring her around after 2 years.  I can see where she might assume he was developing feelings for her after that long a relationship.  I doubt she wanted to admit that he was just using her for the sex after all that time.

Edited by Kohola3
second thoughts

Ran across this weekend while recovering from an injury.  I liked the easy pace.  So glad it does not have the Hallmark formulation.  I couldn't watch it if it did.  Jack looks like a certain rock star I'm crushin on so he is very enjoyable to watch.  Or maybe its the painkillers.  Whatever.  I am enjoying this series.

• Love 1

Wandered across this series while Netflix-surfing. It wasn't bad! It hardcore reminded me of Hart of Dixie, though, down to having Tim Matheson play a grumpy doctor who clashes with the main character. I mean, I enjoyed Hart of Dixie, so this was totally watchable.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, BabyVegas said:

Wandered across this series while Netflix-surfing. It wasn't bad! It hardcore reminded me of Hart of Dixie, though, down to having Tim Matheson play a grumpy doctor who clashes with the main character. I mean, I enjoyed Hart of Dixie, so this was totally watchable.

I loved Lemmon!

On 12/11/2019 at 3:46 PM, The Ringo Kidd said:

I am enjoying this show but it is sort of like “This is Us” got the Hallmark channel pregnant.

This Is Us is so much better than Virgin River. Virgin River is basically one step (or maybe 10) above the Hallmark channel movies. I did, however, enjoy this and will probably watch the second season.

1 hour ago, Aloeonatable said:

This Is Us is so much better than Virgin River. Virgin River is basically one step (or maybe 10) above the Hallmark channel movies. I did, however, enjoy this and will probably watch the second season.

Well, This is Us is a Golden Globe winner and has had slews of Emmy nominations so it's kind of apples vs oranges in comparing that with Virgin River.  Is it perfect or award worthy - nope.  BUt VR is a million times better than those boring Stepford Wives movies on Hallmark, in my opinion.  I am looking forward to a second season in 2020.

• Love 3

Virtually everything on TV these days are hard hitting, gritty etc that anything not that get compared to Hallmark or This is Us. BTW, I love This is Us like I loved shows like Sisters or Once and Again. 

I view Virgin River more in the vein of Providence or Judging Amy or Military Wives. They raise topical issues but in a comforting way. Call the Midwife is similar too but set in a period time. There is a gentleness to all of these shows that is easy to mock (they just want viewers to cry!!!!) but there should be a space for this type of entertainment.

I liken Hallmark movies more to Disney tv shows or Saved by the Bell. 

I am halfway through. I think the lead is great and the only one really doing subtle work. Everyone else is a bit broad if nevertheless charming. I hate how much Hope HATES Charmaine. And as lover of The Vampire Diaries, I prefer Mel’s husband so it is hard for me to ship Mel and Jack. 

Edited by memememe76
  • Love 2

I found it very predictable at times. As soon as Charmaine left that letter I knew she would be pregnant. I hate baby stories that keep the main couple apart. 

Dead baby and dead husband seems like a lot for one woman to go through in a short amount of time. 

I found Hope utterly unlikable. Why would anyone want to be around her. She is a noisy busy body who holds on to grudges for decades. 

• Love 6
6 hours ago, backhometome said:

I found Hope utterly unlikable. Why would anyone want to be around her. She is a noisy busy body who holds on to grudges for decades. 

And she holds them against people who were completely innocent and had literally nothing to do with the situation. 

• Love 4
(edited)

I'm not quite done with the series and wavering on whether to finish S1. I don't look forward to any upcoming plot developments with Brady. 

Right off the bat this seemed like a cross between Hallmark Channel and Hart of Dixie, though with more melodrama than the former and less humor and charm than the latter. The acting, to me, is so-so. I like almost everything to do with Doc, because Tim Matheson is far and away the best actor in the ensemble. He can sell the crochetiness as well as the schmaltz. Hope got on my nerves with butting into everyone's lives, but at last, finally, she seems to have learned a lesson. I am meh on most of the characters other than Mel and Doc. Jack's OK and does the yearning thing pretty well, but it's not a great character.  Even with PTSD he's pretty one-note.

ETA: I guess I am done with S1! That being said, I'm not sure if I'll be continuing when S2 comes out.

Edited by peggy06
  • Love 2
On 2/1/2020 at 3:26 PM, DaynaPhile said:

I’m glad to see something from Netflix that isn’t rated MA. Hallmark movies drive me up a tree so I’m also glad this one has a bit more grit to it. I like most of the characters, except Brady and Charmaine. Something about her bugs me whether it’s the actress or the way she’s just so head over heels for a man that clearly does not feel the same way for her. Maybe she’ll die and Jack and Mel can raise the baby. Maybe she’ll lose the baby. Just get her out of the picture. That whole guilt tip on Mel at the end? That was dirty. 

Hear Hear! I get so tired of all the "gritty" stuff. This was an easy watch and I am able to watch it with my kids in the room! I felt sympathy for Charmaine up until the end. Mel did nothing to encourage Jack. It was all him. Even if Mel left Jack still wouldn't want her.

Either way, I am looking forward to Season 2. I wish Netflix would put out more stuff like this, as in non TV-MA drama or comedy.........

• Love 6

I really liked it, although the Charmaine stuff is super annoying. I can’t think of a way to resolve that without it feeling icky other than if she is wrong and not pregnant after all. 

How long until season 2? I wonder if I’ll remember it by the time it comes back out.

Binging this show and it’s not too bad- it’s better than most of the shows that Netflix has put out. I like that it’s like Chesapeake except much more interesting. I can’t stand Hope. She is insufferable, knows it, yet continues to be annoying. 
I thought Mel losing her parents, baby and husband was a bit too much for one character to endure. I like her chemistry with Jack but it is off the charts with her husband in the flashbacks. Too bad I can’t ship her with a dead guy. 
I really like Preacher, but am not warming up to Paige for some reason. 

• Love 2
On 12/12/2019 at 4:35 PM, SallyAlbright said:

I unabashedly love the books so was nervous but excited to watch this. I really like it, though a few of the changes are odd. Mel is great, I've only seen the actress in This Is Us but I find her very likable. She captures the no-nonsense aspect of the character while still seeming warm. 

I'm married to a Kiwi, so I have a real soft spot for Martin Henderson. He's not exactly as I pictured Jack, but he brings across the sense that Jack is an inherently decent man that was so important in the book. I wish he could have kept his real lovely accent, but obviously it wouldn't make sense for the character.

Very cool to see the series come to life. 

Wow - I knew Aussies were great at American accents, but I didn't realize you could add Kiwis to this list!  I couldn't tell AT ALL that Martin is not American.  Kudos to the actor.

• Love 1
On 1/7/2020 at 5:57 AM, Bali said:

I watched this again this morning. I definitely think Charmaine is a LIAR. She knew that everyone in town was in the bar, but she asked for Hope, not Preacher or Billy or anyone else. Hope is the only one in town that is a snoop. She also has a history of reading other people's mail. Doc said that if Hope hadn't opened his mail, she wouldn't have known about the affair. Also, if said snooping causes a rift between Hope and Jack, Charmaine wouldn't mind because Hope and Charmaine don't get along. So, Charmaine knew that the only person who would possibly read the letter is Hope. Charmaine also knew there was a 50/50 chance of Jack reading it. A letter from an ex that was nothing more than a bootie call could easily hit the trash unopened. And Charmaine didn't seal the letter. 

Also, there is the drinking that we've seen Charmaine do.

There is also the fact that I don't want to pity Charmaine over the whole thing. So- until proven otherwise- she's lying.

Wow Bali, you've laid out believable points for this to actually be the case. I watched out of boredom (since we're all sheltering in place) since I wanted to watch something where I didn't have to think too hard...

I’m just on Episode 5...Is anyone else sick of the meddling sister, omg, what a pain in the Arse she is...Dang, let Mel live her own life...I am praying she is NOT cast in Season 2, if there is a 2?the constant phone calls and then showing up unannounced, just made me sick.

Then hitting on Brady at the bar, she looks old enough to be his frickin’ mother, yuck!!!

I’ve love Martin Henderson since seeing him in the Bollywood’s Bride and Prejudice. 

• Love 3
On 2/23/2020 at 7:57 PM, memememe76 said:

I view Virgin River more in the vein of Providence or Judging Amy or Military Wives. They raise topical issues but in a comforting way. Call the Midwife is similar too but set in a period time. There is a gentleness to all of these shows that is easy to mock (they just want viewers to cry!!!!) but there should be a space for this type of entertainment.

I'm thinking you meant Army Wives and if you did, YES!! That is the most accurate comparison IMO and spot on!

I just stumbled onto this while being confined due to Covid and found it really entertaining.  Never read the books, don't like Hallmark movies (although I get the comparison), but so much better!  Good acting and the right balance of drama/romance without being gag-worthy made this a really good watch.

• Love 2
On 12/12/2019 at 5:08 PM, dubstepford wife said:

Respectfully disagree.  I wouldn't call Hallmark sweet, I'd call it saccharine.  Tooth-achingly so.  And Hallmark would NEVER include things like out-of-wedlock pregnancies or illegal drug camps or doing shots of Jim Beam with a man you just met, that's all way too much for their conservative evangelical Christian base.  

This is a good series for people who keep wishing Hallmark would actually include some adult themes and keep being disappointed.

On 12/12/2019 at 5:19 PM, The Ringo Kidd said:

I think we fundamentally agree. I love sugar and I don’t need any grit in my delicious pastry served up by the woman who moved back home to help on her families bakery and starts dating a fireman with a cat. 

This is simply a rip off of the Hallmark brand by a huge conglomerate.

This is a good series for people who need a little misery with their pastry.

On 12/12/2019 at 7:35 PM, SallyAlbright said:

I unabashedly love the books so was nervous but excited to watch this. I really like it, though a few of the changes are odd. Mel is great, I've only seen the actress in This Is Us but I find her very likable. She captures the no-nonsense aspect of the character while still seeming warm. 

I'm married to a Kiwi, so I have a real soft spot for Martin Henderson. He's not exactly as I pictured Jack, but he brings across the sense that Jack is an inherently decent man that was so important in the book. I wish he could have kept his real lovely accent, but obviously it wouldn't make sense for the character.

Very cool to see the series come to life. 

I'm just getting around to watching the series today. I'm on episode 4, and I'm really enjoying it.

I can see why many are comparing this to Hallmark, but the only similarity I see is in the beautiful visuals. I'm dating myself by saying this, but this show reminds me more of the old Northern Exposure series.

As many times as I've seen Martin Henderson before, how did I not know until I read Sallyalbright's comment that he was from New Zealand?

• Love 2

I saw the first episode last night, and when the doctor was identified I felt like I was having flashbacks, lol. And then remembered he was in Hart of Dixie.  In the same exact type of role.  And from there I was too distracted by the similarities.  It was okay but I don’t know if I will keep watching.  Maybe I will rewatch Hart of Dixie instead.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I stumbled upon this over the weekend and watched it all over a couple of days.  During the Mel Meets Jack scene at the bar, I immediately thought "please don't let this be a Lorelai & Luke/Gilmore Girls thing...." where she goes to the bar regularly, gets fed by the grumpy owner, the town has a wacky busybody..." but I was pleasantly surprised by the depth of the characters (something the Palladinos forgot to do with Gilmore Girls) and the first episodes weren't so clunky like a lot of stuff Netflix has pumped out lately (Looking at you, Sweet Magnolias. Lookin square at you.).

Haven't read the books, don't know if I should start, but maybe I'll check the used bookstore on my way home from work today. (Bookstore cat just had kittens, so it's a must-stop.)

• Love 3

I’m on the fourth episode and although it’s incredibly obvious we’re not supposed to like Charmaine I feel bad for her at the dinner. Hope is so rude to her. From what I can gather it’s just because she wants Jack to get with Mel which I think is just rude and interfering. Charmaine didn’t make up the relationship out of thin air. They’ve been hooking up for two years which is substantial. It’s not her fault Jack wasn’t straight with her. If he doesn’t like her he should end things instead of just looking put out whenever she interrupts his flirtation with Mel. 

I’m sure she’ll Turn into a villain down the line but at the moment I think Hope and Jack are jerks. 

I like Jack but Mel and the first husband are just off the charts chemistry wise.

• Love 4

Ok now at least I get why Hope dislikes Charmaine. Not that I think She’s being reasonable it’s at least better then her just disliking her because she wants Jack with Mel. 

Finally finished it - although I’m rooting for Jack and Mel - I think it’s moreso out of preference for the actor as I really don’t like the character Jack. I don’t think the Charmaine drama did him any favours. He just came off as spineless and slightly passive aggressive. I know I was meant to dislike Charmaine but I felt bad for her. Had she been played by a better actress I might have even liked her.

Could care less about Preacher and Paige. I found Preacher a pain especially in his aggressiveness toward Brady.

• Love 3

Both Preacher and Jack come off better in the books.

Spoiler

In the first book, Jack breaks it off with Charmaine as soon as he realizes that she is just a stand-in for Mel and that he would be thinking of Mel all the time. Charmaine understood from the beginning that he wasn't going to commit, and she seemed to let go pretty easily. She went to Virgin River once just to see, and when she saw the way Jack looked at Mel, she told him she understood and left.

Paige doesn't show up until the second book, so she wasn't living in town when Mel arrived. And Preacher was pretty silent around almost everyone until she got there. I don't think he ever had any encounters with Brady until the end of that book either. Jack was the one who told Brady he wasn't welcome. The books, of course, were written before marijuana was legal, so all the growers were illegal.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 7/6/2020 at 8:12 AM, Avabelle said:

I like Jack but Mel and the first husband are just off the charts chemistry wise.

Daniel Gillies is so sexy and they spark to the point that I wish he'd been cast as Jack instead. Not that there's anything wrong with Martin Henderson but Alexandra really sparks with Gillies. Oh, well. And Army Wives is a pretty apt comparison, too! (I only watched the first two or three seasons, though.) There's also a pretty good touch of Everwood. 

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 2

I think the writing killed Jack for me a bit. He just came off so spineless with Charmaine that I couldn’t respect him. 

Agreed I thought Gilles was excellent as the husband. I nearly felt they gave had them breaking up prior to the crash just to Detract from the chemistry. 

• Love 3

hi  I saw the Netflix series first became a fan now listening to 3rd and final virgin river book 

Can someone recommend more audio book with a similar feel as virgin river, I am using these as a coping mechanism for 15 minutes a day can for about the scary situation my house hold is in due to covid-19 and try and relax once I finish the 3rd book,will need to find something else, any recommendations will be appreciated 

And apologies for the inconvenience in advance 

On 7/14/2020 at 6:52 PM, Mo1001 said:

hi  I saw the Netflix series first became a fan now listening to 3rd and final virgin river book 

Can someone recommend more audio book with a similar feel as virgin river, I am using these as a coping mechanism for 15 minutes a day can for about the scary situation my house hold is in due to covid-19 and try and relax once I finish the 3rd book,will need to find something else, any recommendations will be appreciated 

There are many more than three Virgin River books. The author also has several other series. I liked Thunder Point as well. https://www.robyncarr.com/book-list/

• Love 1
On 7/14/2020 at 7:52 PM, Mo1001 said:

I think maybe you read Grace Valley? There are three of those. There are 20 Virgin River Books. There are 14(?) Books in the Thunder Point Series. And 5 in Sullivan's Crossing. These are all Robyn Carr. Similar books ( as in characters continue throughout the series, but different characters are highlighted) Eternity Springs by Emily March, The Harmony Series by Jodi Thomas, and The Buchanan Saga by Susan Mallory. 

Not sure I buy that Charmaine is really pregnant.  While she can "seem" sweet and sincere, albeit pretty stalkery... always showing up wherever Jack is or waiting for him...yikes, weird...what woman wants a guy who isn't in love with her?  And then to tell Mel she (Charmaine) won't have any chance with Jack as long as she (Mel) is still around.  Threatening much?  Desperate much?  I suspect that a woman who acts like that isn't above feigning a pregnancy (that later magically becomes a miscarriage once she has her claws into Jack....or is even capable of being pregnant by someone else.  I'd get a DNA test on THAT kid! 😄

I just finished the first season and had mixed feelings.  I find Mel highly annoying, even more than Hope.  After reading the books, Mel is even less likeable than the character in the book. She comes across as an abrasive know-it-all and is overacting.  The characters overall are somewhat overblown, but perhaps necessary for TV dramatization. The Jack-Charmaine-Mel triangle is not very successful. I am looking forward to the 2nd season and hope some of the kinks are ironed out from the first season. 

• Love 1
On 9/3/2020 at 12:21 AM, SoapWytch said:

ot sure I buy that Charmaine is really pregnant.

I thought the same thing.  I admit I feel kind of sorry for her, Jack has been with her for how long?  Then when there is a new girl in town, after how many years, he's all "see ya".

• Love 3

We stumbled across Virgin River a few days ago and have been enjoying it!  We usually like British mysteries, and here's a village set right in our home state (even though the scenery's in British Columbia). Looks like small towns are the same all over.  

ARRGHH: Hope.  Might as well be watching The Trouble With Maggie Cole.

Still, I'm sure we'll watch Season 2 😀

• Love 1

I like the show. I have to give it props for a real life problem. I like the way the book makes Jack act like a real life man. Instead of these perfect never wants sex or says anything like damn you got a fine fill in blank. Book has it show took it away. 

However i hate Paige and her fake unrealistic problem. The villiand Wes who can literally do anything. Stupid. She left her kid and left Preacher to take the blame stupid. Just call the police. He fell. You didnt kill him moron and you are beaten. Stupid and needless.

I hate Lizzie and Charmaine. Why cant a hero stand up for themselves. These no integrity self righteous hollyweirds have no clue what a good person is. Letting someone talk to you like a dog does not equal a good person. Fools need to learn this. It is played and i am sick of it.

This series was recommended to me, so am just half way through the first season. I am enjoying the Canadian actors that I have seen in other shows. The actor playing "Lilly" was in the Republic of Doyle series. I always thought that she looked a bit too young to play the wife of the father of the main character. I this series I think she is too old to play Lilly, but since I really like the actor I am enjoying her in the role.  

I am also enjoying seeing the actor playing Charmaine as I only know her work from the series "Mr. D". It's nice to see her in a different role.

So far I am enjoying the series, though could use a few less flashbacks. I also don't get all the fawning over how hot Mel is. I guess it is a small town so there are not likely a lot of new people moving to town, but honestly she is just average looking to me. Jack is way hotter, and I don't see the women in town going on about how hot he is. I know it is common for a series to continually prop up the main character, but it is overkill to me. 

• Love 2
On 12/27/2020 at 2:10 AM, UsernameFatigue said:

This series was recommended to me, so am just half way through the first season. I am enjoying the Canadian actors that I have seen in other shows. The actor playing "Lilly" was in the Republic of Doyle series. I always thought that she looked a bit too young to play the wife of the father of the main character. I this series I think she is too old to play Lilly, but since I really like the actor I am enjoying her in the role.  

I am also enjoying seeing the actor playing Charmaine as I only know her work from the series "Mr. D". It's nice to see her in a different role.

So far I am enjoying the series, though could use a few less flashbacks. I also don't get all the fawning over how hot Mel is. I guess it is a small town so there are not likely a lot of new people moving to town, but honestly she is just average looking to me. Jack is way hotter, and I don't see the women in town going on about how hot he is. I know it is common for a series to continually prop up the main character, but it is overkill to me. 

Great job on your "Username"!  I think the actress that plays Mel has a Kate Winslet quality to her.  She just has more hair.  Agree that "Lilly" does seem a little long in the tooth, but I like that actress too.  Hope to see more of her if we ever get a new season.