Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E03: Fire In The Hole

I don't know if I'd consider this show campy, not in its current form.  It doesn't reach a level of so-bad-it's-awesome for me.   It needs like an extra layer of unintentional bad acting or something.  As it is, for me it's just...bad.  But still fun to pick apart as I push myself to finish off the series (I've ff-ed parts of monologues the last two episodes).  

Where is Sarah Newlin?  Seeing her in a nice sunny yoga studio...the idiots in Bon Temps really should just leave, because apparently there are places where it's still pretty decent, at least during the day.  Side note- I'd swear that one of the extras in the yoga scene was the girl who played Jason's werepanther.  Weird.  

I wish Pam/Eric weren't so isolated.  And yet, I don't think I'd want to see one or both of them get taken out by the idiot mob in Bon Temps so...I guess it makes sense that they're not really part of the main crew at this point. 

Sylvie didn't bother me, unlike some of you saying where did she come from? We've never heard of her before?  Eric has been around a *thousand* years, I bet there's A LOT OF PEOPLE in his life we've never heard of before. If it's a one-time flashback scene and not a new character whose story we have to follow, then why the hell not?

My only issue with the introduction of Sylvie was that it would have been a much more interesting point last season, or the one before, because it fleshes out the relationship between the Authority and the makers of True Blood, and those people and Eric.  They could then call back to it now, in the show's final episodes.  And I know that they've had behind-the-scenes shifts and whatnot making it impossible.  I still think introducing something that important this late in the game is just...bad writing.  Work with all you have, y'know? 

Speaking of- I wasn't moved by Alcide's death mostly because I never saw him as being that important or developed as a character, outside of the relationship with Sookie.  I hope that his death gets more reaction than Tara's (already has), but maybe not as much as Terry's (I think that's where the show lost me, and why I'm picking on it now).

• Love 1

Speaking of- I wasn't moved by Alcide's death mostly because I never saw him as being that important or developed as a character, outside of the relationship with Sookie.  I hope that his death gets more reaction than Tara's (already has), but maybe not as much as Terry's (I think that's where the show lost me, and why I'm picking on it now).

Maybe I'm naïve, but I'm still holding out some hope that we're going to get more grieving for Tara once the people are rescued from the hepV vamps... It's been sort of non-stop running around/ numbness in a jack daniels bottle since then... so once that worry is gone, then Sookie can grieve...

Maybe I'm naïve, but I'm still holding out some hope that we're going to get more grieving for Tara once the people are rescued from the hepV vamps... It's been sort of non-stop running around/ numbness in a jack daniels bottle since then... so once that worry is gone, then Sookie can grieve...

I doubt it. I'm pretty sure once the drama ends Sookie's going to be too busy having terrible accent sex with Bill. 

• Love 6

I doubt it. I'm pretty sure once the drama ends Sookie's going to be too busy having terrible accent sex with Bill. 

Eh... I still think there will be a little time in between for Sookie to mourn the loss of her friend and Alcide before she ends up in bed with Bill... I think Sam is going to hold the all time record on moving on sex...

Drive by post, but I forgot to mention that if it wasn't for you guys, I wouldn't have realized that Jessica has totally 'Littlefingered' her southern accent. 

I mean, none of the actors have really been trying for a while, which seems weird to me. Wouldn't you at least still want to do a good job since it's part of your career resume? 

• Love 2

Never thought I'd say this, but I agree with the poster who said they wished Eric had died so that I could bail on this mess. As it is, I ff through half of this dreck.

At this point, I officially hate Suckie. Alcide is dead because of you (not a fan of JM's portrayal, but that's not the point), and I have no doubt that the self-absorbed narcissist known as Ms. Stackhouse will be getting on with her favorite vamp before the body is cold. I hope that Beeell meets the true death, but of course, their twu luv will prevail since we know that Suckie can't manage to survive without having a man in her life who she can tell not to tell her anything because she is a strong, independent woman with her own mind.

I still hope for the following ending: Lafayette finds true happiness and leave Bon Tomps. Eric and Pam go off together and be the snarky awesome that is them. However, since no one other than Suckie and Beeell matter to the showrunners, I am sure these things will never happen.

• Love 1

Omg thunderstorm in Nj and I can't sleep and this board has me laughing so hard. Literally lol. Thank you guys.

When Pam first said Sylvie and he repeated Sylvie I thought I must be hearing because, who?

Any yes, it dawns on me that she's supposed to be still in college, meaning unde 21, and she's very pretty but does not look quite that young. (Mild rant: why can't TV ever actually hire people that young? One of the things I loved about "Spring Awakening" on Broadway was that one of huge teenage girls was short and flat chested. At last! High hs school kids that looked like high school, kids, not the thirtysomethings that play in "Grease"). Just say "grad school" and I'm fine. She looked young, but not 19.

ITA that they chose 1986 because of money. I mean please, so lazy, just tip your hands that all the writers are 30$ and that seems ages ago. I mean there was almost no clothes so it could have been almost any time in the 20th century at LEAST make it 1956 or something. I'd buy her flat hair if she's a paysan.

I did think Alcide turning into a dog as he ran out again was high camp. I laughed.

What was the point of the photo flashback? We already know Bill loved his family. (But again: sepia! It's not as if photographs were all that terribly common in the 1860s they were ti types and you had to not smile because it took a very long time for the picture... NOT the ten seconds they show. I had one done at the Smithsonian once, you have to sit still a long time).

A bit of an unpopular opinion in that I still like bill and Sookie together. Even while loathing Sookie. I contradict myself, I contain multitudes.

Yes swords! Because they're Asian! Question: just now are they transporting all those swords? And how Re they getting around? Seems like e kind of thing homeland security would notice.

• Love 1

One thing I noticed on rewatch is that Jessica was injured again, didn't heal and doesn't seem to know why. I'm curious about that. She's been a vampire long enough that if it was just a case of her not healing because she hasn't fed in a while she would just say so. However, Jessica herself seems completely clueless as to why this is happening. I'm thinking one of two things about this. Either Jessica is infected with Hep V and it's just effecting her slower than it is others. Or this has something to do with Adilyn. Maybe both. I'm both curious and scared to find out the reason. 

• Love 1

When the Yokaza came and gave Eric the "impossible choice" between Sylvie and Pam, I fully expected him to not skip a beat and say something like: "Sylvie, Kill Sylvie. How is this even a question?" And the Yokaza kills her as Eric yawns in the background or something.

• Love 4
(edited)

I loved the yoga scenes. And the teacher. Good guy, at the end. Sometimes I think the plots are off the rails until I realize that no matter what, they are 1000% better than the last Harris books.

Bye Alcide. See you in my dreams.

Edited by Quickbeam
  • Love 2

I'm only watching this show for Jess at this point, and by God there was not enough of her in this episode.

I like the Lafayette character but his insta romance with James is dull as dishwater. James hasn't even been in a scene with Jess this season as far as I can tell, yet we get to hear him talking about how distant she is every night (hasn't she been spending every night in her vigil over Andy's fairy spawn?). 

Apart from Jess the only other scenes I seem to like are Willa's. There's something about the actress that draws you in. 

The writers are doing their absolute best to make us hate Sookie for some reason. Is she going to throw herself off a bridge or be burnt at the stake by the townspeople in the finale? And they're setting us up to cheer that? Cos otherwise...

• Love 3
I like the Lafayette character but his insta romance with James is dull as dishwater. James hasn't even been in a scene with Jess this season as far as I can tell, yet we get to hear him talking about how distant she is every night (hasn't she been spending every night in her vigil over Andy's fairy spawn?).

ITA!  It just seems like it was shoehorned in as an after thought.  As if the writers just scribbled something in to shut the viewing audience up.  Lafayette is the only character that I actually like on this God forsaken show and I think he deserves more than simply finding a new guy to do drugs with.  Give him something to do!

(edited)

One thing I noticed on rewatch is that Jessica was injured again, didn't heal and doesn't seem to know why. I'm curious about that. She's been a vampire long enough that if it was just a case of her not healing because she hasn't fed in a while she would just say so. However, Jessica herself seems completely clueless as to why this is happening. I'm thinking one of two things about this. Either Jessica is infected with Hep V and it's just effecting her slower than it is others. Or this has something to do with Adilyn. Maybe both. I'm both curious and scared to find out the reason. 

I'm thinking that she's been refusing to feed because of guilt over killing the fairy sisters. And she's probably never gone this long without feeding before, so she never knew the effects until now.

For whatever it's worth, in the previews

someone tells Jessica that she isn't healing because she hasn't fed recently.

Edited by Blakeston
  • Love 2

And Anna Camp in this role cracks me up so I was glad to see her again. Of course Sarah Newlin would find a new religion and reinvent herself. And cheesy as it was, I did chuckle when the thought of hunting her down and killing her was what gave Eric the will to live just a little bit longer. Hee. 

But why?! Did I forget something? Why does Eric hate Sarah? Did she kill his sister? Oh hurry up & end show.

(edited)

Alcide, the only man prettier AND dumber than Jason?

Two words: "Stockholder syndrome." Alcide wasn't the brightest bulb on the tree, but he was never dumber than Jason.

Sylvie didn't bother me, unlike some of you saying where did she come from? We've never heard of her before? Eric has been around a *thousand* years. I bet there's A LOT OF PEOPLE in his life we've never heard of before.

True, Eric has been around for over a thousand years, but that doesn't make Sylvie any less useless IMO. I never believed for a second that she was the great love of Eric's life. Eric's having a death wish because of Godric or Nora is one thing; Sylvie is another. Given the average vamp "life" span, they're going to meet all kinds of characters, but they should at least be moderately compelling and Sylvie wasn't even close.

My personal opinion is that Bill hasn't done anything so bad he can't be redeemed

I think Andy would disagree.

I like the Lafayette character but his insta romance with James is as dull as dishwater

I disagree. I still find them more compelling and believable than Jason/Violet and Eric/Sylvie-and don't even get me started on the Twilight ripoff that is Sookie/Bill.

Why does Eric hate Sarah? Did she kill his sister?

Sarah was one of the people responsible for Vamp Camp and spiking Tru Blood with HepV, which Nora was infected with at Vamp Camp, so Sarah is as much to blame for Nora's True Death as she was for Ms. Suzuki's death.

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 4
(edited)

True, Eric has been around for over a thousand years, but that doesn't make Sylvie any less useless IMO. I never believed for a second that she was the great love of Eric's life. Eric's having a death wish because of Godric or Nora is one thing; Sylvie is another. Given the average vamp "life" span, they're going to meet all kinds of characters, but they should at least be moderately compelling and Sylvie wasn't even close.

Agreed.  And Eric never mentioned her, this great motivator for his going-Godric and suicidal, at any point in time prior to this?  It seems goofy and tacked on. 

Edited by annlaw78
  • Love 1

Agreed.  And Eric never mentioned her, this great motivator for his going-Godric and suicidal, at any point in time prior to this?  It seems goofy and tacked on. 

I still think his main reason is Nora/ Godric (and maybe having a near death experience on that mountain top)... Sylvie was just somethinge else in the line of things.. and she has a physical location associated with her that he can go to as opposed to Godric/Nora... 

I did love 80's Pam& Eric (and Nan) so I will continue to believe that Sylvie is just a convenient memory to introduce the TB corporation guys and show us a little more history of Eric, but not the main reason for his depression.

• Love 1
(edited)

My personal opinion is that Bill hasn't done anything so bad that he can't be redeemed (again, assuming some allowances are made for the murders committed for fun in the past, like you would have to do for pretty much any vampire) I've never seen that Bill purposefully wants to be a bad guy or evil, just that he's made some bad decisions and been in some difficult situations without good options. But I think everyone on the show has been written to do some stupid shit.

I might agree, except for a) the monstrous things he did with Lorena back in the day, which I think were far beyond the escapades of typical vampires, and b) him blowing up all the True Blood factories. That must have played a big role in the current chaos that's killed god-knows-how-many people.

Edited by Blakeston
(edited)

I might agree, except for a) the monstrous things he did with Lorena back in the day, which I think were far beyond the escapades of typical vampires, and b) him blowing up all the True Blood factories. That must have played a big role in the current chaos that's killed god-knows-how-many people.

But why do you think what he and Lorena did was any worse than what other 'typical' vampires did? We've seen other vampires doing what I would consider equivalent or far worse- the vampires who infiltrated the church and were abusing the women they held captive, Russell went around murdering to collect things for his home... Eric and Pam spent 100 years "laughing and fucking and killing"  So that all has left me with the impression that vampires in general like to indulge those murderous impulses. "there isn't much thrill left in feeding on the willing"

So I think that is part of being vampire. Makers also have a lot of control over their progeny, and are supposed to teach them how to be vampire... Lorena was a bad teacher... but pretty much all the vampires we've met who aren't newly made after the revelation have little regard for human life. They take what they want, violently if necessary. They are all murderers.

As to blowing up the TB factories- I'm not making excuses, since yes, it was a bad thing that happened and was Bill's idea. But he didn't do it by himself. The authority was hell bent on creating destruction-  their original plan was killing however many mainstreaming vampires there were- so that could have been thousands of vampire deaths (including people like Pam/Jessica/Tara/Eric)... followed by farming humans as cattle. Bill was also under the influence when that happened. (Given the short time span of the show, Governor Burrell also already had his plan ready to set in motion before the factories blew up, so hep V and vamp camp was already on it's way) Bill still has to take responsibility for it, but I don't think that makes him ultimately evil.  I think this season is his attempt to take responsibility in whatever way he can- even if it's small time via his confessional book and in trying to save whoever he can in Bon Temps, since within the scope of the show I don't think there is much else that he can do.  

But I do understand that not everybody likes Bill or thinks redemption is possible... I know he's screwed up big time many times... though I kind of feel like all of our characters have made some huge mistakes. This is just my take on things so of course, YMMV.

Edited by Jjrmt

I don't even hate Bill and Sookie together but they are boring to me and if they're the end game, it's not a dealbreaker for me so much as I'm amazed that they think we should care.

And this is my problem: are we really supposed to believe that there's some real, true, amazing love there, when it was premised all along on 1) the effect of Sookie's "special," addictive blood on Bill, and 2) the effect of Bill's vampire blood on Sookie.  Once those facts were "outed" by show canon, it made the relationship less of a choice between the two, and more a chemical (or whatever) compulsion.  An onslaught of twangy, yearning violins is not going to convince me that what's going on there is some super-special-awesome-amazing-Princess-Bridean love.  It's just Lettie Mae and Willa dressed up a little differently. 

• Love 7

And this is my problem: are we really supposed to believe that there's some real, true, amazing love there, when it was premised all along on 1) the effect of Sookie's "special," addictive blood on Bill, and 2) the effect of Bill's vampire blood on Sookie.  Once those facts were "outed" by show canon, it made the relationship less of a choice between the two, and more a chemical (or whatever) compulsion.  An onslaught of twangy, yearning violins is not going to convince me that what's going on there is some super-special-awesome-amazing-Princess-Bridean love.  It's just Lettie Mae and Willa dressed up a little differently. 

That's the ultimate problem with pairing Sookie with any vampire... but then there is the mind reading problem in pairing her with a human...

As much as I like Bill and the whole idea of "true love" (since it's a TV show and belief can be suspended to a certain degree) I wouldn't mind an ending that has Sookie alone.

(edited)

I wouldn't mind an ending that has Sookie alone.

That's where they were going at the end of Season 4 and I was happy with that (even though I thought that episode wasn't that great. And then we got the Warlow mess instead. Oh wait, that didn't happen. I forgot I decreed that never happened.

Edited by AudienceofOne

I'm not sure that the mindreading thing would be so impossible for relationships if Sookie weren't so judgmental about other people's thinking about sex and so unforgiving to any one thinking harsh thoughts about her. She must be a bottomless well of self-righteous indignation to still be outraged after years of listening to them. And how could it not occur to her at some point that people really do think and even say things they don't really mean, so that it's not their thoughts (which change with the amount of sleep or the quality of digestion!) which are the real thing, but what people do is the real person. And she still looks down on Jason just because she's convinced herself she only sleeps with someone she "loves," i.e., is swept off her feet by a storm of romantic passion. Maybe I'm imagining her life off-screen when the writers haven't but I think this is why she's gotten to annoy me so much.

It's just mildly annoying that pretty much every hot male was written as in love with her. Sam, Bill, Eric, Warlow and Alcide.  And the men who didn't love her were Andy, Terry, Rene, Russell, Lafayette, James and Steve Newlin? 

• Love 3

Sylvie is such a ridiculous 11th hour plot device that completely fails. If Eric had this grand love with some woman in the 80s, you think she would have been mentioned when Pam was frustrated with Eric for getting all schmoopy over Sookie and choosing a human over vampires. Horseshit.

This show has completely gone to pot but I am watching it in honour of the absurdly fantastic show it once was.

• Love 4

I'm a latecomer to this show, so maybe this is there in canon somewhere, but can someone explain to me how vampires, who were once human, and retain memories of their human lives, can suddenly just look at human beings as prey, fun to kill, as if they are beings with no feelings? I mean it doesn't seem like the vampires lack all empathy.

I get that they are hungry, but I don't get how they can suddenly become so devoid of any conscience towards people when they know they used to be people.

It's like if we as adults killed babies, even though we know we used to be them (I know some people do; we call those criminals and psychopaths).

But why do you think what he and Lorena did was any worse than what other 'typical' vampires did? We've seen other vampires doing what I would consider equivalent or far worse- the vampires who infiltrated the church and were abusing the women they held captive, Russell went around murdering to collect things for his home... Eric and Pam spent 100 years "laughing and fucking and killing"  So that all has left me with the impression that vampires in general like to indulge those murderous impulses. "there isn't much thrill left in feeding on the willing"

I don't think Russell was in any way representative of vampires. It certainly appears that there are a lot of vampires who see humans as disposable - but there are also a lot who don't.

But even among the vampires who see humans as disposable, what Bill and Lorena did seemed uniquely bad. They weren't just killing their victims, they were torturing them, and taking glee in their agony. And unlike the witches, these were people who posed no threat to them.

If it turns out that sort of thing is the way a typical vampire acts, then I'd reject any plotline where a typical vampire is made out to be a worthy romantic lead.

I'm a latecomer to this show, so maybe this is there in canon somewhere, but can someone explain to me how vampires, who were once human, and retain memories of their human lives, can suddenly just look at human beings as prey, fun to kill, as if they are beings with no feelings?

There hasn't been a great explanation.

There's been the suggestion, though, that the lust for blood that's inherent in vampires can easily change how they think about morality.

And Bill said, back in season one, that if vampires "nest" (ie, spend a lot of time among other vampires), their minds become warped.

Now that was a great episode. Shame we had to have Alcide be shot in the end but at the same time, Maxine also died, so at least someone loathsome got their just desserts. Hopefully Vince is next.

Nice that the writers finally remembered that Holly is actually a witch. Bummer they didn't bother to let her use her magic to actually save the day instead of being bait.

Sookie had a decent plan, some great scenes with Bill and in general was a strong point of the episode.

Nice to see Nan again in flashbacks. The Eric/Pam/Sylvie stuff in France was pretty good too and it's also nice that Pam acknowledged Tara's true death as well. Shame she's really dead then.

That Japanese group seem like interesting enough antagonists. They've got a connection with Eric and now with Sarah as well. I liked seeing Sarah back for some reason.

Reverend Daniels - I get why he kicked Willa out and he seems like a genuinely decent bloke but at the same time, I felt really bad for Willa.

Not sure about the Lafayette and James stuff but I did enjoy their scenes though.

Why can't Jessica heal herself? Is she next to die?

Overall, that was a marked improvement on the first two episodes, 8/10

I don't care that Alcide got killed.  He was only supposed to be a supporting character but maybe because he was nice to look at they kept him around.  True Blood's problems began years ago when they gave the supporting cast main plotlines and took the focus off the main characters, which is a problem that's still plaguing them even in their final season.  Alan Ball created this monster but I had really hoped they would do as promised and return the focus on our leads.

Also, I've also suspected that the show runners hated that fans loved Eric more than Bill and have often wondered if this is why he's been neutered somewhat.  He used to be the badass you would expect a 1000 year old vampire to be and I so looked forward to his exchanges with Pam, which is what's kept me watching.  I was hoping to see a return to that and instead I get to see Eric moping around in France and weakened with Hep V.  

I know they (showrunners) gave up on this show a while back and seemed to just throw shit on the wall to see what would stick  while they waited for their 7 year contract to be up but I had really hoped they would reward us fans who kept watching through the Billith and Ifrit shit with a satisfying final season. I feel kind of betrayed at the lack of effort and imagination.

I watch TWD also and rewatched the last few episodes last night.  I've been critical of their writing but it seemed positively Shakespearean when compared to the nonsense and chaos that defines this final season.

• Love 4

I still cannot get over how BAD Bill/Stephen Moyer looked in those scenes where the cameras were looking UP at Bill in the tree as he and Sookie talked. He looked terrible -- puffy, and OLD. Way old. Way way OLDER than a never-aging vampire should suddenly look, even though the actor is 7 years older than when we first met Bill. How he looked in those scenes actually made me pause the show as my co-viewer and I both had to exclaim about it. Those shots were...an unwise decision by the director.

I kinda like Violet. She interests me, although I am sure we will not get a ton of backstory and info on her. She seems like a complete savage bad-ass old school vampire who is slowly...very slowly...extremely slowly understanding that the world has changed.

• Love 1
(edited)

Sookie had a decent plan, some great scenes with Bill and in general was a strong point of the episode.

I totally disagree. A decent plan would have had Alcide involved,  knowing the risks and making up his own mind, not rushing in to save Sookie after she went off half-cocked behind his back for the umpteenth time and getting killed because of it. As for the scenes with Bill, they were just filler, and boring filler, at that.

I loved Jason's not being ashamed for being a "modern" man. Fuck off already, Violet.

Co-sign. Violet may have vanquished Maxine and saved Rocky, but neither of those things negate her perpetual shittiness to Jason. Violet is a bully who literally gets off on pushing Jason around. That's typical of a psychotic vamp bitch whose definition of "real" men were sociopathic fucks with "iron-hard cocks" who killed innocents without remorse.  The sooner Violet meets the True Death, the better.

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 8
(edited)
I'm a latecomer to this show, so maybe this is there in canon somewhere, but can someone explain to me how vampires, who were once human, and retain memories of their human lives, can suddenly just look at human beings as prey, fun to kill, as if they are beings with no feelings?

Is it a sudden change?  The vamps that have Arlene and company had a couple that seemed conflicted about the whole thing, and none seemed eager to go hunting.  Maybe it's just a transition from something you have to do to something you learn to enjoy over time...as you watch different humans behave in the same stupid ways throughout the years?

Thinking about it...what is interesting is how efficient they seem to be at it, from an early vamp age.  They systematically wiped out a whole town and nobody knew it.  That's...skill.

The whole Bill/Sookie deal- is her using the last of her light still on the table like it was last season (if I'm remembering correctly)?  If so...given the whole conversation about how it's a different Bill and there's no blood connection, I think they've given themselves an out when it comes to the Bill/Sookie trueloveforever being some kind of chemical reaction.  He's not the same (though she just drank him again, that's just a detail), she can stop being a fairy, they can still be in love.  It's super romantic...

Edited by phoenix780

I laughed out loud when my least favorite character Hoyt's mom was killed, hopefully Lettie Mae and Violet will be next. Not too sad about Alcide's death. He was pretty to look at but brought nothing else to the show, so good riddance. Lafayette is getting himself a young hot vampire lover. Good for him! STFU Sookie!

(edited)
He used to be the badass you would expect a 1000 year old vampire to be and I so looked forward to his exchanges with Pam, which is what's kept me watching.

I found it amusing that Pam agreed with us all about the writer's choices here.  When she said "You're ERIC FUCKING NORTHMAN!", I said to Mrs. Pootel, "Yeah - used to be."

Thinking about it...what is interesting is how efficient they seem to be at it, from an early vamp age.  They systematically wiped out a whole town and nobody knew it.  That's...skill.

Well, they are human predators, good ones.  Looking back on it, I'm struck by the surprising inconsistency they've had about how effective a predator they really are.  I mean sometimes they're horrifically good at killing and other times a bunch of townsfolk with stolen guns are enough to give them pause.  It did cross my mind that Godric from the early seasons could have (back in his killing days) ripped out the throats of everyone in the a vigilante mob before they even knew he was there. 

Edited by henripootel

I don't care that Alcide got killed.  He was only supposed to be a supporting character but maybe because he was nice to look at they kept him around.  True Blood's problems began years ago when they gave the supporting cast main plotlines and took the focus off the main characters, which is a problem that's still plaguing them even in their final season.  Alan Ball created this monster but I had really hoped they would do as promised and return the focus on our leads.

Also, I've also suspected that the show runners hated that fans loved Eric more than Bill and have often wondered if this is why he's been neutered somewhat.  He used to be the badass you would expect a 1000 year old vampire to be and I so looked forward to his exchanges with Pam, which is what's kept me watching.  I was hoping to see a return to that and instead I get to see Eric moping around in France and weakened with Hep V.  

I know they (showrunners) gave up on this show a while back and seemed to just throw shit on the wall to see what would stick  while they waited for their 7 year contract to be up but I had really hoped they would reward us fans who kept watching through the Billith and Ifrit shit with a satisfying final season. I feel kind of betrayed at the lack of effort and imagination.

I watch TWD also and rewatched the last few episodes last night.  I've been critical of their writing but it seemed positively Shakespearean when compared to the nonsense and chaos that defines this final season.

These are  totally my thoughts too.  It sticks in my  craw that this is how the show is going out. As others have written as well, Eric used to be a bad ass. Throwing in at  the last minute his one great love with only 7 eps ? to go- is unforgivable to me.  I'm now watching the show because it's a total car wreck and I think they're just going tie up loose ends by killing almost every character.

I think they're just going tie up loose ends by killing almost every character.

That, or... next week, they'll introduce new characters, to serve as love interests for Lettie Mae,  Sarah Newlin, and Third Yakuza Guy From Left.

Also, don't forget: we still have to see the rest of the story arc about Bill's family photographer. I think after he took that picture he a had a wart removed from his elbow, which led to a whole series of amazing adventures with Bigfoot.

• Love 5

That, or... next week, they'll introduce new characters, to serve as love interests for Lettie Mae,  Sarah Newlin, and Third Yakuza Guy From Left.

Also, don't forget: we still have to see the rest of the story arc about Bill's family photographer. I think after he took that picture he a had a wart removed from his elbow, which led to a whole series of amazing adventures with Bigfoot.

I actually thought it was kind of fun that in the episode where Mama Fortenberry bites it, we get a flashback to another old timey Fortenberry... connecting those people of Bon Temps in the past and future, plus then we don't have to see the rest of his Arc, we know it leads to Hoyt.

Yep. And that little conversation that Jason had with Violet about adopting children is how Sookie is going to get the family she wants, even though her hubster is a vampire. Her first adoption might even be Sam's baby with whatsherface, if the baby is born but Sam and whatsherface don't make it out of the last episode alive.

If that happens, I may have to bump Ennterprise for Worst Finale to a Show Ever.

Co-sign. Violet may have vanquished Maxine and saved Rocky, but neither of those things negate her perpetual shittiness to Jason. Violet is a bully who literally gets off on pushing Jason around. That's typical of a psychotic vamp bitch whose definition of "real" men were sociopathic fucks with "iron-hard cocks" who killed innocents without remorse.  The sooner Violet meets the True Death, the better.

THIS. All through that speech she was giving him, I was wondering if she completely lacked any self-awareness at all. Yes, Jason was probably a harder dude when Violet met him than now. Well gee, why do you think that is, you witless caricature? Violet's spent her entire time as a character hacking away at his self-esteem, degrading him, emasculating him and she suddenly wonders why he's more sensitive to the plight of people victimized by vampires?

• Love 6

Re Maxine, while I'm glad she's dead, I hate that it was Violet who killed her. Maxine was an ignorant, overbearing and hateful shrew, but she didn't deserve to be killed by someone who's worse. Rot in Hell, Maxine.

I am happy Maxine finally got hers after listening to her bitch all these seasons, I just don't think Violet should have been the one that killed her.  I don't know it just seemed as though Maxine should have met her demise by one of the main vampires.  Violet can go anytime now.

Why are the vampires so easy to shoot at now? Weren't they able to move faster than a bullet??

I was wondering that too but I think the writers will probably attribute it to them being weak from not feeding as often as they should. I think it's dumb, too.

(edited)

If that happens, I may have to bump Ennterprise for Worst Finale to a Show Eve

Dexter's finale is the only acceptable answer in this category.

The only saving grace for True Blood is that they've already screwed up so much very little can disappoint me. That said, I'm far more worried about what they will do with Jason and Lafayette.

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 4
(edited)

True Blood would really have to fuck up the series finale for me to think it's worse than the shitshow of a final season that was Dexter. Easily the worst finale of a show that used to be good that I've ever seen.

At least this episode basically gave us confirmation that Sarah's death should be epic so at least I have that to look forward to. Imagine though if the showrunners do something stupid like having Violet kill her instead of Eric or Pam in some sort of misguided attempt to get viewers to like her. I'm assuming that's why they had her kill Maxine in this episode so now I'm wondering.

Edited by Avaleigh
(edited)

How could Eric not know that thumbing his nose at the Authority would bring about serious repercussions?

And [Eric] didn't turn [sylvie] immediately? Please.

Eric was put in chains after they killed Sylvie. He didn't have the opportunity to turn her.

ICAM, re the first point. Eric not only blatantly defied the Authority, he told them to "fuck [themselves]," without thinking that he would be punished. I thought that Godric had taught Eric better than that. No vamp survives as long as Eric has by being stupid, which pissing off the Authority was. Eric's arrogance and Sylvie's stupidity not only got Sylvie killed, Eric and Pam almost met the True Death themselves because of it. I believe that Eric and Sylvie had plenty of chances to at least consider the possibility of turning Sylvie before the Authority showed up, but apparently that didn't happen, which is yet another reason why I don't believe that Eric and Sylvie were not only not in love, as far as I'm concerned, Sylvie was, to paraphrase Pam's description of Sookie,  just "a gash in silk pajamas," and a human one, at that.  

I've never understood why people get so worked up about getting turned into a vampire. Like Tara. All she had to do was wake up, tell Sookie "thanks, but no thanks" and someone can stake her and it's over. At least turning someone into a vampire gives them the choice to keep on keepin' on, versus "Alcide never made a living will, so I will make this decision for him."

It's a big deal when the person doesn't want to be turned, ala Tara. Sookie and Lafayette knew that Tara despised vamps with great reason, especially because of Franklin, but instead of respecting her feelings, they turned her into the thing she hated most against her will for selfish reasons. As for Alcide's potential refusal to stay a vamp had he been turned into one, when Tara was first made, she didn't know what to do and she was born a human, so I shudder to think how a werewolf like Alcide would have handled it. His choices for potential makers were bad, at best. Jess is too young and I wouldn't wish Bill or Violet on anyone. Given all the shit that Sookie did wrong with Alcide,  especially getting him killed, not having him turned was the only thing she did right.

Alcide had investments?

Not that I know of.

Edited by DollEyes

Whoever it was who mentioned that scene between Bill and Sookie with Bill up in the tree....you are correct. Bill did look like total shit. For a vamp who supposedly cannot age he's not doing a very convincing job. I think the funniest thing about it though was if I'm correct Bill himself (aka Stephen Moyer) directed the episode.

Even though I could kinda care less about Eric's character, I do wish he'd go back to being more badass. At least that was interesting. He's lame and boring now and if that's how they're gonna portray him this season I'd rather they just kill him off and be done with it.

Kill Violet too. Now.