Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: Chapter Four - Sanctuary

• Start Topic

That was a really fast 40 minutes.

Good job not going the romance plotline with Cara and Mando.  It's just 2 badasses becoming fire forged friends.  No love triangle (that widow wanted all of Mando), not even a hint of it.  She can't return soon enough.

Baby Yoda continues to be the most adorable thing in Star Wars.  Put Anna Kendrick and Baby Yoda in a show, and watch people die from the adorableness.  But, those assfaces tried to kill Baby Yoda.  There's gonna be a lot of pain coming their way.

Good job by Bryce Dallas Howard in the director's chair.

We got a Loth-Cat!  This is not a drill, Loth-Cats have made an appearance in live action Star Wars.

• Love 16

So there's two of the women, plus a girl and a bunch of extras of both. You couldn't tell this was directed by a woman, could you? 🙂

The tracker has to be implanted in the kid. Time to find a surgeon, I think. Hell, maybe an EMP would do the trick.

Would it have been better to have the kid sense the assassin's presence and use a bit of the old Force choke? Right now, it still feels like a macguffin on legs. I want it to do more. Besides, hanging out with a professional killer, it has to pick up his feelings.

Wait. Maybe in the final episode, it will telekinetically remove his helmet, forcing him to be himself. I'm not in favour. Hopefully my predictive powers are up to their normal strength and I'm completely wrong. Either way, it's clear he's from a hardline sect of Mandos. Oh joy. I do hate fanatics of any belief system.

Odd moment. Kids have smaller heads than adults. I saw padding in his helmet this ep. Looked like a balaclava arrangement like proper racing helmets, rather than the foam of regular motorbike helmets. Did he pad his helmet even more originally?

Good battle, if a little too heavy on the plot armour. And the AT-ST trap... come on. Everyone knows that you dig a hole, give it a covering of light branches, and leaves or grass over the top. Not just a pond.

For all my gripes, I did enjoy this ep. Maybe I'm just too fussy today.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Anduin said:

So there's two of the women, plus a girl and a bunch of extras of both. You couldn't tell this was directed by a woman, could you? 🙂

So was the last episode. I'm not sure what you're trying to say.

My heart when I thought that Mando was going to leave his SON with these strangers and then when I thought they were going to kill his SON. I can't handle that poor baby getting hurt or left behind.

• Love 20
15 minutes ago, JessePinkman said:

My heart when I thought that Mando was going to leave his SON with these strangers and then when I thought they were going to kill his SON. I can't handle that poor baby getting hurt or left behind.

Any bounty hunter that kills the little guy better kill the big guy as well, or their chances of enjoying the spoils of that bounty decrease dramatically.

• Love 9
6 hours ago, Jediknight said:

We got a Loth-Cat!  This is not a drill, Loth-Cats have made an appearance in live action Star Wars.

I squealed out loud when the Loth-Cat was onscreen. I see you Filioni! I tried to rewind to see if we could see who the Loth-Cat was with but couldn’t tell. If that Loth-Cat had been white, I would have just died. I really want a live action Rebels prequel or sequel, but I’ll take Easter Eggs when we get them!

4 hours ago, Anduin said:

Hey-o! Women characterS who speak! First three episodes were lacking, this one was not. I loved Cara. Rebel fighter who looked like she could actually throw a punch. I know that Gina was an MMA fighter, so I love the fight between her and Mando. Can’t wait for her to come back and I hope she becomes a full-time character.

• Love 12

Female directors on TV (or episodic streaming) get no say in the content of the episodes they're hired to direct. They aren't writers or producers. Same with the male directors. That said I though BDH did a good job with the episode.

l liked the new characters that were introduced, both we well done and interesting in their own way. No real dramatics about staying despite taking place over the period of a few weeks but agreeing that Baby Yoda belonged settled and happy. Though it obviously wouldn't work in Mando had left him there. Even if the other bounty hunter hadn't turned up, he'd have run back and grabbed the kid. Even though he was cearly thinking of his own situation becoming a Mandalorian at a young age. 

Glad we cleared up that they could take their helmets off to eat, drink and wash, just not in front of other people. Like several different cultures on Earth. 

Baby Yoda is still the cutest, he/she was sweet playing with the village kids.

5 hours ago, Anduin said:

Would it have been better to have the kid sense the assassin's presence and use a bit of the old Force choke? Right now, it still feels like a macguffin on legs. I want it to do more. Besides, hanging out with a professional killer, it has to pick up his feelings.

Force choke is a Dark Side power and takes a lot of intense negative feelings, which clearly this youngling doesn't have. I think he can sense certain things but Mando has never had bad intent towards him, in fact has only ever protected him despite handing him over to Werner Herzog briefly so he wouldn't necessarily be able to sense anything a miss with Mando's feelings and protect himself, mixed as they are.

• Love 11

What I was saying, they gave a female-heavy episode to a female director. Howard could have gotten the first ep, with only the Armorer. But no, this one. I don't think it's a coincidence. I'm not complaining, don't worry. Just an observation.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

I’m still trying to sort out how I feel about this episode, but since the beginning of this show I’ve been asking, “How in the hell does this guy eat?” This episode answered, “In private” so...thanks for clearing that up, episode 4!

The episode also verified that he was in fact a foundling brought in by the Mandalorians and his parents weren’t part of them. Don’t know much Star Wars lore other than what’s been presented in the movies, and all the talk of foundlings and their importance has made me wonder if Mandalorians don’t have kids and just bring people in through adoption or recruitment, like the Shakers or something. Or if their numbers were just decimated by the Great Purge that bringing in foundlings is a faster way to bring up their numbers.

BDH did a pretty good job directing the episode - the Walker coming out of the dark with the glowing red “eyes” was a great shot.

Edited by Kostgard
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7

I was trying to think of where I'd seen this before, then I saw someone reference Xena. Replace the Mandalorian with Xena, baby Yoda with Gabrielle, and the walker with a giant cgi ogre and you have half of the early episodes of Xena. This was really bad. This will be one of those episodes later on if this goes for a lot of seasons that when somebody asks if they should start at the beginning, everybody will say, "yes, but skip episode 4".

What was the walker driver trying to accomplish by moving forward to attack the woman in the pit? It has guns that can blow up a whole house in one shot.

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, Nellise said:

What was the walker driver trying to accomplish by moving forward to attack the woman in the pit? It has guns that can blow up a whole house in one shot.

The driver was trying to find her with the lights, because you can't shoot what you can't see.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, Anduin said:

The driver was trying to find her with the lights, because you can't shoot what you can't see.

The Mando can see hidden footprints, but the walker needs lights to shoot its target?

44 minutes ago, Nellise said:

The Mando can see hidden footprints, but the walker needs lights to shoot its target?

Mando can see hidden footprints, but not without technology. He had some kind of tech in his visor to locate Cara's tracks when she left the tavern, and then when they found the raiders camp. Even though the walker had a human driver, I think it aimed at the first house because there was enough light both to see and to notice that the villagers weren't moving around the way they had been earlier. The raiders didn't even bring the walker the first time, they just showed up and stormed the place because they seemed to know the villagers would run and hide rather than fight back. It was only when the fight was brought to them that they brought the big gun along.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Nellise said:

Yep. This is Imperial tech we're talking about. Cool but inefficient is the rule of the day.

• Useful 2
  • LOL 10
  • Love 3

Great episode! Mando was in full dad mode, although he's obviously still learning,  because I had to question his decision of letting the baby follow him in the woods. Who knows what big bads were living there that could have lept out and eaten him! Also, baby Yoda has a lot of stamina; walking that distance with his tiny legs. 😊

I love that we got to see more of the baby's personality, as well as Mando's. And Cara referring to the baby as Mando's kid, and Mando not correcting her, hit me right in the feels. I'm gonna cry if they eventually have to part.

Mando had a girlfriend for a hot second! I'm hoping that when the show eventually ends, the last scene is him returning to the planet to settle down. Although I love seeing him kick ass, you could totally tell that he was yearning for a simpler life. He shouldn't have to fight and kill his entire life.

I'm also glad that they finally explained that the Mandos do take off their helmets. I'm confused though because I thought they could have families. Does that mean that they never show their face to their wives or children?

I also loved seeing Cara kick his ass. So far, she's been the only one to really give him some trouble. I was worried when I first read that they cast Gina, because I had only seen her in the Fast and Furious 6, where her acting was very wooden. But she did much better here. And her character even elicited the first laugh from Mando (right after they took down the AT-ST)! 

Since we don't know how the trackers work, I'm going to assume it somehow tracks their DNA or something injected into their bloodstream that can't be removed. If it was an implanted chip, people could just have it removed easily.

Edited by pezgirl7
  • Love 12

Just a few thoughts

Mandalorian continues the tradition of being a western in space. But I really wish someone had said "a meal and a place to hide" in homage to another western sci fi derivative. ( Battle Beyond the Stars) It would still have fit. 

Excellent use of a certain piece of maligned Imperial equipment  Got some serious War of the Worlds vibes from it. 

Oh yeah the fan fiction is going to sky rocket after this episode.

You know , when he finally does remove his helmet , somebody better say "oh my god! you're hot!"

And  village girl Omera's marksmanship implies she has something of a past herself. 

Edited by The Kings Foot
  • Love 6
7 minutes ago, The Kings Foot said:

You know , when he finally does remove his helmet , somebody better say "oh my god! you're hot!"

Maybe there is a Phantom Of The Opera thing going on....The Battle Droid scarred young Mando before it got destroyed....

Yeah, I was a little surprised we didn't get a reveal on Omera given her atypical comfort with a gun. There's clearly some past there.

Otherwise, I thought it was a great episode and Baby Yoda manages to just get cuter and cuter.

I hope we get an explanation of the tracking fobs soon, though. Right now, they seem like magic.

• Love 2

The Western vibes were even stronger in this one!  The whole "protecting a small village from invaders" is definitely a popular staple in the Western genre.  Although, I also enjoyed something I read elsewhere how this is almost like an RPG video game, where Mando is taking a break from the main quest and doing a side mission, because he needs to get some extra XP and level up a bit more first.  After-all, you don't want to take on Werner Herzog under-leveled!

So, Gina Carino finally shows up as Cara Dune, who is a former rebel solider turned merc.  Either way, I liked her.  Gina is admittedly not the strongest actress in the world, but I thought this was in her wheelhouse.  Certainly could tell she did a lot of her fight scenes herself!  Hope we see her again.

Also wouldn't mind seeing Omera character again.  I remember Julia Jones from a couple of Westworld episodes and a small role in Wind River.

Not sure what it says about me that I only wished Cara wounded the assassin and let Mando take his time finishing the job.  Because if you are going to try and blow off Baby Yoda's head with a sniper rifle, you are a total monster!  Worst than Darth Vader, Emperor Palpatine, Jabba the Hutt, and Tarkin combined!

Had no idea Bryce Dallas Howard was directing this.  Was this her first major directional debut?  Either way, I thought she did quite well.

Tonight in "Totally know that's actually Pedro Pascal behind the helmet": the shot of him casually leaning back in the carriage definitely reminded me of when he was chilling as Oberyn on Game of Thrones.  And any scene where Mando was starring at Omera, I could always picture him doing his seductive stare behind the helmet!"

Speaking of helmet, what is the over/under that if/when he does take if off in front of someone, it won't be for a potential love interest but for Baby Yoda?

• Love 13
22 hours ago, Anduin said:

The tracker has to be implanted in the kid. Time to find a surgeon, I think. Hell, maybe an EMP would do the trick.

The first guy the Mandalorian caught in the pilot was also tracked by a tracker fob. And he was rich and had been free enough for a while to get caught in a bar, so presumably had time and ability to get any implanted tracker removed. I assumed the thing just tracks like DNA or something. Or Force signature, maybe, though I gather most tech in SW doesn't really acknowledge the Force exists.

13 hours ago, Kostgard said:

The episode also verified that he was in fact a foundling brought in by the Mandalorians and his parents weren’t part of them. Don’t know much Star Wars lore other than what’s been presented in the movies, and all the talk of foundlings and their importance has made me wonder if Mandalorians don’t have kids and just bring people in through adoption or recruitment, like the Shakers or something.

I looked it up because of this show and apparently Mandalorians are more of a culture than a race. The original Mandalorians weren't human, and as a multi-racial group that's part of why they all adopt wearing the helmets all the time -- as a cultural signifier.

But I absolutely cannot suspend my disbelief for such an impractical daily requirement. Hell, if they ever get colds they're gonna cough all over their visors. It absolutely screams that the filmmakers and videogame devs who expanded this lore wanted to hide the stunt and fight doubles more easily or didn't want to draw a lot of faces.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, arc said:

The first guy the Mandalorian caught in the pilot was also tracked by a tracker fob. And he was rich and had been free enough for a while to get caught in a bar, so presumably had time and ability to get any implanted tracker removed. I assumed the thing just tracks like DNA or something. Or Force signature, maybe, though I gather most tech in SW doesn't really acknowledge the Force exists.

However it works, he absolutely needs to at least investigate how to disable it. Or maybe if he kills enough bounty hunters or Werner Herzog, everyone will get the message. Essentially, running and hiding isn't going to work.

He needs to find whoever took the bounty out on the kid to begin with and kill them - that will stop the bounty hunters coming after them.

Well, I am absolutely gaga over Baby Yoda. I loved this episode because we got so much Baby Yoda cuteness.

• Love 7
22 hours ago, Nellise said:

I was trying to think of where I'd seen this before, then I saw someone reference Xena.

I thought the set and the costuming looked kind of cheap, like what you'd see in Xena or the Stargate tv show. Some of the actors also weren't great, and the plot was rushed. Despite all that, this show is mainly a Baby Yoda delivery system for me so I can still enjoy mediocre episodes if they deliver on that front. And this one had him defying Mando by continuing to mess with the console (reminding me of that cat who can't resist pushing stuff off a table) and waddling around and interacting with kids, so I was happy.

My favorite bit was when Mando instructs Baby Yoda to stay put and not touch anything while he goes outside and looks around. Cut to Mando at the ship's door as it slowly opens only to look down and see that Baby Yoda is right next to him. Pedro Pascal's defeated reaction was great.

And I always use closed captions when available, but they're especially helpful for this show because they'll indicate something like "[cooing]" which somehow makes it even cuter.

Edited by krankydoodle
  • Love 10

This episode had so much good chemistry. Mando and Baby Yoda, Mando and the widow, Mando and Gina Carano's character, and Baby Yoda and the kids.

Not having Baby Yoda dolls ready for Black Friday has to be one of the biggest marketing errors Disney has ever made. I want one and I'm in my fifties.

• Love 21
3 hours ago, xaxat said:

This episode had so much good chemistry. Mando and Baby Yoda, Mando and the widow, Mando and Gina Carano's character, and Baby Yoda and the kids.

Not having Baby Yoda dolls ready for Black Friday has to be one of the biggest marketing errors Disney has ever made. I want one and I'm in my fifties.

Find somebody on Etsy to make you one.

And I don't think Disney erred all that badly.  Recall that in a little less than three weeks, they have a little film in theaters called The Rise of Skywalker which will have mucho merch coming out of it.  They probably didn't want Baby Yoda in competition with all of that.

Also, Jon Favreau asked them not to do anything with Baby Yoda that would spoil his debut in the show.  Besides, this way all those people desperate for a Baby Yoda will have to stew for a year until TM's second season, at which point Disney will open the floodgates and drown the world in Baby Yoda stuff.

Edited by johntfs
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, albinerhawk said:

That is so dope! Thanks for pointing that out.

As a mother of three under 5, me thinks that Mando would seriously benefit from having an ergobaby or something similar.

https://www.amazon.com/Ergobaby-Ergonomic-Carrier-Positions-Newborn/dp/B0743L6R1T/

I was thinking Mando should have pulled that hover-cradle out of the trash or needs to invest in a Babybjorn or something. Those little legs have got to be slowing them down. And since Mando seems to have gone from 0 to 100 on the Dad Scale after deciding to throw it all away to keep LBY safe, he’d be down for carrying him around on his chest.

5 hours ago, xaxat said:

I was just thinking that it was weird that these people were willing to welcome Mando and LBY into their community, but no one bothered to ask their names. I mean, even if they decided Mando was intentionally mysterious or if he was just all, “People call me Mando” you’d think that at least the kids would ask about LBY’s name.

So I’m almost willing to bet that by the next episode someone WILL ask Mando what the kid’s name is, and after he’s all, “Uh...” he realizes he needs to give him a name. So he does by the end of the episode and...boom! The toys with the little guy’s name hit the shelves right before Christmas (they can’t really market him as “Little Baby Yoda” so the name has to come first).

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, xaxat said:

They couldn't have them ready in time without possibly spoiling Baby Yoda's appearance on the show. All they've released so far are some not-very-good T-shirts.

“The way the cat usually gets out of the bag with that stuff is merchandising and toy catalogues and things like that,” Favreau said.

“We really wanted to have it be that you had to watch it yourself, so that every time you watched the show there’d be new twists and secrets coming out. But that requires a lot of restraint from the people footing the bill. Part of that was holding back on things like merchandise.”

https://nypost.com/2019/11/29/why-you-cant-buy-baby-yoda-toys-this-christmas/

Fingers crossed that there will be some merch soon!

1 hour ago, albinerhawk said:

One question, unless I missed it, what were those vats in the tent for?

I'm think they were brewing spotchka, made from the krill that they stole. Some of the guys outside the tent were drinking the glowing blue drink around the fire.

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, Kostgard said:

I was thinking Mando should have pulled that hover-cradle out of the trash or needs to invest in a Babybjorn or something.

I don't think he had time to pull it out of the trash, but Pedro posted this on Thanksgiving. 😄

• LOL 15
  • Love 5

I noticed a lot of comparisons of this show to RPGs on this show. Another source I saw compared it to the old 1930s serials of Buck Rogers. This is probably a more apt description since Star Wars was born out of George Lucas' fond memories of seeing those old serials as a child. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, AuntTora said:

We are the same person apparently.

Perhaps both of you know Dr. Pershing.....

Grocery shopping with Baby Yoda would be easy. He can yeet everything into the cart....

Edited by paigow
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, bobby2018 said:

I'm over 70 and I want one. Bought a pattern and start learning How To crochet.

This is my Baby Yoda.............341171290_babyyoda.jpg.0496ea90fd791cca35d07ebf5ad4b8b4.jpg

I saw that one on Etsy and was seriously considering to copy the pattern from the pic but if one can buy it... can you post a link or will the henchmen of Disney come after us if you do so?

• Love 1
On 11/30/2019 at 10:29 AM, arc said:

But I absolutely cannot suspend my disbelief for such an impractical daily requirement. Hell, if they ever get colds they're gonna cough all over their visors. It absolutely screams that the filmmakers and videogame devs who expanded this lore wanted to hide the stunt and fight doubles more easily or didn't want to draw a lot of faces.

Well that and the fact that So Much has been made of Mandalorians within parts of the SW fandom and the fact that we never saw Boba Fett's face etc that it's just a thing. Especially for SW fanboys turned creators and producers. The fact that I never found the backstory and hype behind the Mandalorians particularly interesting is why I wasn't in the slightest bit excited when this show was announced. I'm glad to be wrong.

• Love 2
On 11/30/2019 at 1:34 PM, xaxat said:

To be fair, Pedro Pascal could have chemistry with a block of wood. 

We also find out that he and his people can remove his helmets to eat, drinks, sleep, etc just not around other people

I'm guessing the Star Wars Universe never invented straws. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

THis was my least favorite episode of the four so far. I don't mind the whole Seven Samurai knock off, but it was definitely rushed. It didn't give any time to why those dog people speaking Huttese were stealing all the krill (I know it was to make spotchka, which, good god, sounds absolutely horrid). What value did it have, what would the impact on those people be, I guess they live in a krill based economy...and we get zero chance to see an organic chemistry develop between Mando and the widow. She's just suddenly like "Would hit it" even though she doesn't know his name, and he doesn't take off his helmet (now that I write that, you know what, that widow's kind of a FREAK, girl, get it!). There's still no explanation as to why the walker is there either. In fact I was somewhat bothered by the way it acted biological, I get it, it was a cool effect, but if you want a monster make a monster. That machine requires two drivers who are, at least by Imperial standards, trained to run it. It would not hold up a foot at the edge of a pond. And if it only took a shot into the "eye port" why not try that with the pulse rifle from cover in the first place. 

I didn't like anything at all to do with the village. I liked everything else, the cantina, the meet up with the sidekick of the week (I'm not sure how they break this pattern, but I kind of wish they would). I thought having the mercenary ex-rebel, mayb ex-imperial (he called her a former Shock Trooper, and in two viewings I couldn't figure out if she'd deserted the Empire or if rebels had shock troopers) was a cool idea. I quite like the chance to explore the impact of the Empire's collapse on the non-Skywalker, non-bureaucrat class, this show has a lot of room to work there. 

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Sugarbeetle said:

I'm guessing the Star Wars Universe never invented straws. 

My nephew, who used to be big into the extended Star Wars universe with the books and all that, said that it was addressed with Boba Fett in one of the books that he did use a straw. He also told me that they were once a race but are now more like a cult (cult being my term). Which, could baby Yoda become a Mandalorian or do they only "recruit" humanoid children for Mandalorian status. 

If Disney's Rebels cartoon is supposed to be part of the official universe, why is Sabine able to still be a Mandalorian and be helmetless? 

I think the armorer could make him a handy little carrying thing for baby Yoda out of some of that Beskar steel.

On 11/30/2019 at 11:56 AM, krankydoodle said:

My favorite bit was when Mando instructs Baby Yoda to stay put and not touch anything while he goes outside and looks around. Cut to Mando at the ship's door as it slowly opens only to look down and see that Baby Yoda is right next to him. Pedro Pascal's defeated reaction was great.

That was great as was him leaving baby Yoda with the food lady and saying to "watch him" and the next thing you know he's standing outside drinking his bone broth while Mando and Cara fight. 

• Love 12
1 hour ago, joanne3482 said:

If Disney's Rebels cartoon is supposed to be part of the official universe, why is Sabine able to still be a Mandalorian and be helmetless? 

My guess is that different tribes have different rules. Like if you equate it to Christianity. The Catholic tribe is more strict and doesn't allow priests to marry, while the Lutheran tribe does.

I've read a few different comments, not just here, about how incredulous it is that the widow had the hots for Mando without ever seeing his face. Apparently they don't understand the sex appeal of that armor, or his voice! lol Also, the selection of good men in her village was extremely lacking.

Edited by pezgirl7
  • Love 13