Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: Chapter Four - Sanctuary

• Start Topic

9 hours ago, MissLucas said:

Yep, it was bone broth. And it keeps bugging me that folks order bone-related food for Baby Yoda despite knowing almost zilch about his dietary needs. I mean Mando saw him gulping down a frog but he was also trying to eat that little silver ball in the cockpit. Is Baby Yoda using the Force to make sure he gets his favorite treats?

I think he must be. The bone broth I can hand wave, because I doubt there were actual edible bones in it. But the lady mechanic telling the droids to get something with bones in it seemed out of the blue. 

When Mando was going to leave Baby Yoda behind, I wonder if he was planning on telling Omera that the baby is 50 years old and will probably be a child for her entire life. That's a bit of a commitment to just drop on someone. lol

Edited by pezgirl7
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 12/2/2019 at 1:29 PM, pezgirl7 said:

I've read a few different comments, not just here, about how incredulous it is that the widow had the hots for Mando without ever seeing his face. Apparently they don't understand the sex appeal of that armor, or his voice! lol Also, the selection of good men in her village was extremely lacking.

Doesn't talk about himself incessantly, good with kids and doesn't smell like krill? That checks a lot of boxes. 😆

• Useful 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 9
7 hours ago, The Companion said:

Doesn't talk about himself incessantly, good with kids and doesn't smell like krill? That checks a lot of boxes. 😆

Barely talks at all☑️, draws on, but does not shoot kids that sneak around☑️, smells like mudhorn manure☑️ 😋

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

Continuing with my re-watch, and this is still one of my favorite episodes of the whole season. I think Bryce Dallas Howard does a great job directing this episode, particularly the battle sequence. Julia Jones is wonderful as Omera, the widow who takes a shine to our Mando. And of course this episode has some of the cutest Baby Yoda moments of the season (the scene where he attempts to swallow, then spits out the frog, while the village kids are completely grossed out is adorable).

Plus we meet Cara Dune, who is badass from start to finish. I also love that shot of Baby Yoda forlornly looking at the villagers as he and Mando go back to the Razor Crest.

This show really has been excellent all the way through.

Edited by Gillian Rosh
To correct a typo
  • Love 6

According to the Internets this episode, along with episode 5, are the two worst episodes of the first season. I am not going to disagree about episode 5 but 4 is one of my favorites - there are so many adorable Baby Yoda moments in it.

I can't speak to Baby's dietary needs besides his thing for frogs but from what I have seen in certain memes Baby's favorite foods are chickie nuggies and choccie milk, ha.

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, magdalene said:

I can't speak to Baby's dietary needs besides his thing for frogs but from what I have seen in certain memes Baby's favorite foods are chickie nuggies and choccie milk, ha.

He needs some Luke Skywalker green milk....are those Animals exclusively on Ahch-To? 

Edited by paigow
On 12/31/2019 at 11:02 PM, magdalene said:

According to the Internets this episode, along with episode 5, are the two worst episodes of the first season. I am not going to disagree about episode 5 but 4 is one of my favorites - there are so many adorable Baby Yoda moments in it.

I find this one to be very rewatchable. Sorry, internets. 

• Love 10

I like this episode because not only are there lots of adorable Baby Yoda moments, but it's also clear that Mando is getting a glimpse of the kind of life he could have if he ever decided to take off the helmet, settle down and stay out of constant danger.  He's had his wild days, and he's slowly changing as a person.  He's getting older -- not "old," but he's not in his 20s, in other words -- and outgrowing parts of his life.  But he doesn't think he belongs on Sorgan.  However... I would not be at all shocked if he ends up revisiting Omera and her daughter by the end of the series. 

I can watch all of the first season's episodes repeatedly, although there are some that are a bit more interesting to me than others.  Because I was lured into watching this show by the cuteness of Baby Yoda, and then I instantly loved the evolving bond between Mando and Baby Yoda, each episode is necessary to watch for me because BY does something adorable in all of them.  And Baby and Mando have their cute little moments in each episode too.  I don't think that any episode can be skipped or ignored IF someone is largely watching for Baby Yoda and the growing Mando-Baby Yoda relationship.

I saw someone on YouTube (can't even recall the name of the channel) say that there are probably 3 or 4 episodes of this season that can be skipped, leaving only the other 4 or 5 episodes as truly necessary to watch.  And my first thought was... "Okay, he is clearly someone who doesn't care that much about the Baby Yoda aspect of the series, because if you are one of the people who started watching the show for Baby Yoda in the first place, you would not want to miss one single moment of the precious Baby -- and Baby had some of his best moments in those episodes that should be skipped."

There is no right or wrong reason for why viewers are watching the series, and certainly there are lots of people who are not watching for Baby Yoda.  But if you are someone who is largely there for the Baby Yoda cuteness, then none of the episodes should be missed -- and especially not Chapter 4, where Baby is being mischievous in the cockpit, as well as toddling along after Daddy Mando even when Mando tells him to stay in the ship, etc.  Baby also gets to play with other children, and chase after frogs and krill and all of that. 

Edited by TVFan17
  • Love 9
7 hours ago, magdalene said:

Isn't this the episode where Mando leans back all male like and baby tries to imitate his daddy and plops back in the same fashion. Adorable.

And he is looking up at the stars too!  That was so sweet!  I love that moment.  That quick little shot of Baby seemed to fly under the radar in some of the recaps and reviews I watched, almost as if people missed it if they looked away for two seconds and didn't realize what he was doing.

But it's so precious, because Baby Yoda is clearly trying to emulate daddy at that point -- just like a little boy might do -- and he wants to be right by daddy's side too.   Prior to the end of Chapter 3, Mando was staying detached and just trying to look at Baby as a job -- he had to bring him to the Client and that was it.  But after he saved him from the Client and then risked his own life to get the Baby back to his ship, he warmed up to him a bit more.  Mando at least softened towards him a bit, and also put him on his lap for a minute too.  He was still trying to leave the Baby alone on the ship while he went off to look for lodging, but Baby wasn't having it! 🤣

I really think this was a significant episode in the evolving relationship between Mando and Baby Yoda.  I don't think of it as filler at all. 

Plus, we needed a way to meet Cara Dune and get her into the story.  Mando's trip to Sorgan introduced us to Cara.

Edited by TVFan17
  • Love 7

I’ve been enjoying the show so far.

When Mando and Cara were fighting, her hits seemed to hit him just as hard...while he’s wearing a helmet and armor. Come on, show, he’s in Mandalorian gear, not Stormtrooper gear.

On 12/17/2019 at 11:19 AM, pezgirl7 said:

When Mando was going to leave Baby Yoda behind, I wonder if he was planning on telling Omera that the baby is 50 years old and will probably be a child for her entire life. That's a bit of a commitment to just drop on someone. lol

I was wondering about that myself.

“I’ll watch him as if he were my own. Then my daughter will take after that, and her kids after that...”

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

One thing that I noticed upon second viewing is that this is the ep when Mando finally stops calling the child "it" and begins saying "him."  I think that's partly due to his now thinking of the child as a foundling in his care and no longer as just an assignment; but I think it's also partially due to the fact that the doctor in the prior episode refers to the strapped-down child as "him" when Mando breaks in to rescue it/him.  Since he appears to have been performing a medical exam when Mando breaks in, I guess we can assume that he is right about the child's gender. The Mandalorian appears to have made that assumption.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, WatchrTina said:

One thing that I noticed upon second viewing is that this is the ep when Mando finally stops calling the child "it" and begins saying "him."  I think that's partly due to his now thinking of the child as a foundling in his care and no longer as just an assignment; but I think it's also partially due to the fact that the doctor in the prior episode refers to the strapped-down child as "him" when Mando breaks in to rescue it/him.  Since he appears to have been performing a medical exam when Mando breaks in, I guess we can assume that he is right about the child's gender. The Mandalorian appears to have made that assumption.

In some thread or another I was talking about Mando changing how he referred to the Child.  Part of it definitely would have had to do with the doctor calling him a "him," but by the time of Chapter 4 Mando had definitely softened towards the little one quite a bit, and he was concerned about him being happy as well as safe.  He spent all of Chapter 2 and most of Chapter 3 trying to stay detached and distant from the Child.  He wanted to look at him as a "thing" -- a thorn in his side until he could pass him off to the Client.  Whereas the Child kept looking at him with this sad face, as if he was thinking "Why don't you like me?" and "Why are you giving me away?" I think Mando's heart started to melt a little, and the Child was no longer just an "it."

Mando and the Child were on Sorgan for a bit.  I don't know if it was actually supposed to be the "couple of months" that Mando alluded to at the beginning of the episode, or if it was more like one month.  Either way, they had time to settle in for a minute.  The Child had his own crib, and I think that Omera probably showed Mando how to swaddle him.  She may have even given him some pointers on caring for a small child.  I am guessing that in the course of whatever care she provided to the Child, some sort of bathing or cleansing must have had to take place.  So she probably realized that the Child was a "he" as well!  lol  Or Maybe she taught Mando how to properly cleanse and bathe the Child.

Edited by TVFan17
  • Love 3

One difference I noted in their relationship is in this ep, the "stop touching things" scene ❤️ Mando puts the child on his lap when he adorably misbehaves.

Contrast to "that's not a toy" from the previous ep, where Mando picks the child up by the scruff of his ?robe (causing a squeal) and puts him back in the pram.   Granted, the pram is lost at the end of ep 3 but the contrast still stands out for me.

• Love 6

I'm on my THIRD watch of the series this month (because, you know, Pandemic going on outside) and it's fun to notice new things.  For example, you have to assume that Mando's disintegration rifle is pretty damned important to him, yet he doesn't hesitate to give it to Cara Dune when she asks for it during the heat of battle.  It's a great little note in the episode that reveals how much he has come to trust her. And then that trust is repaid when -- a few weeks later -- she takes out the bounty hunter who had The Child in his cross-hairs.

I've also concluded that the list of top 10 great moments from this first season is definitely going to have to include that moment when The Child sips his broth while gazing quizzically at Mando and Cara sprawled on the ground pointing guns at one another.  The quiet humor in this show is delightful.

Another moment I loved was when The Child spit out the frog because the other children laughed at him.  You could just SEE his child-like confusion at their reaction.  It goes to show that NO kid, no matter what species, likes being laughed at.  It's also noteworthy that when his "parent" (Mando) told him to spit out a frog the kid ignored him but when his "peers" laughed at him for eating a frog he stopped.  I'm not a parent but I'll bet that moment resonated with every person who has ever raised a child.

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 6
On 12/31/2019 at 9:07 PM, Gillian Rosh said:

This show really has been excellent all the way through.

YMMV. This is a kids show with so many plot holes I cannot get into any semblance of the story.

Such as ... clearly the many bounty hunters are tracking yoda. Why does Mando think they can stop anywhere and be safe? One already found them. It isn't like he doesn't know they have trackers. HE had one. And yet, hiding out of the way will somehow shield them?

You all have finally hit on a gripe of mine from the 2nd ep - what does baby yoda eat, and what does Mando do about it? When he was bringing him in, it didn't matter as much. It sure does now. But hey, let yoda wander around. He'll eat ... something.

And there is this huge myth around Mando never taking off his helmet with anyone else present. So then he ... takes it off at an open window, with an open door. I can hear a Monty Python voice now ... "OK, OK, OK ... you can-not take off your hel-met in the presence of others, UN-less ... you have Cheerios!"

And I see we have already our standard Star wars planets of hot/sand, ice and green jungle. Are there no other types of planets in the Star Wars universe?

The "plan" to take down the raiders was just silly. Aside from not bothering to actually look for the empire weapon (there isn't someone in in 24/7, it has to be kept somewhere nearby), they dig a huge hole ... in a pond? I don't know about you, but for decades I have been warned never to drive into standing water because you can't tell how deep it is. Even a Klanadoo would have some common sense.

The baby exists for marketing purposes. And it really drags down the show. Imagine how great this show might be if it were simply about the unknown Mandalorian sect, and one Mandalorian bounty hunter finding his way across the SW universe. When Mando said he was going to leave baby yoda, I was actually excited about what was next. Sigh.

On 9/7/2020 at 11:12 AM, WatchrTina said:

I've also concluded that the list of top 10 great moments from this first season is definitely going to have to include that moment when The Child sips his broth while gazing quizzically at Mando and Cara sprawled on the ground pointing guns at one another.  The quiet humor in this show is delightful.

Cliched humor, IMO. As soon as they started fighting I knew they would be interrupted, and guessed it would be baby yoda watching them. And also knew that pause would be followed by a quip.

On 8/22/2020 at 10:05 AM, raven said:

One difference I noted in their relationship is in this ep, the "stop touching things" scene ❤️ Mando puts the child on his lap when he adorably misbehaves.

That was put there for you to notice and make that conclusion. On a space faring vehicle, it makes no sense that the pilot would allow a baby to be close to the controls. Find a trash can or something to drop him in. But nope. To show they are bonding, there cannot be any other solution but to hold him in your lap. Next episode, Mando will have baby yoda in one of those baby chest carrying contraptions.

I heard many good things about this show when I wasn't watching it. I had high hopes, because I love space shows. But this is like watching a Sat morning kid show.

On 9/7/2020 at 11:12 AM, WatchrTina said:

I'm on my THIRD watch of the series this month (because, you know, Pandemic going on outside) and it's fun to notice new things.  For example, you have to assume that Mando's disintegration rifle is pretty damned important to him, yet he doesn't hesitate to give it to Cara Dune when she asks for it during the heat of battle.  It's a great little note in the episode that reveals how much he has come to trust her.

And made little sense. They barely know each other. As soon as he did that, I thought, "Are you nuts? That is your main weapon?" Turned out OK, because script writers, but it took away what could have been another interesting aspect of a Mandalorian ... "This rifle is mine, it belongs to me .."

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Ottis said:

I heard many good things about this show when I wasn't watching it. I had high hopes, because I love space shows. But this is like watching a Sat morning kid show.

This show then clearly just isn't for you.  Maybe stop watching it?

• Like 1
  • Love 12
4 hours ago, Ottis said:
4 hours ago, Ottis said:

It is a Saturday morning show in many ways, yes.  One of the reasons I love the show.  I am guessing it's never going to be the kind of show you would like to watch.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, magdalene said:

It is a Saturday morning show in many ways, yes.  One of the reasons I love the show.  I am guessing it's never going to be the kind of show you would like to watch.

A Saturday morning kids' show that was nominated for a primetime Emmy for best drama. 😉

7 hours ago, Ottis said:

And made little sense. They barely know each other. As soon as he did that, I thought, "Are you nuts? That is your main weapon?" Turned out OK, because script writers, but it took away what could have been another interesting aspect of a Mandalorian ... "This rifle is mine, it belongs to me .."

Actually, it made perfect sense, because they were partners in that situation.  They'd been working together for days, if not longer.  Think those fences were built in an hour?  She was the one with the idea and the plan, and if he didn't help her, they'd all be dead.  What was she going to do, say, "Ha, I got your best weapon, now I'm going to steal it and run away!"  She wasn't going anywhere, she was saving a village.

• Love 7
On 11/29/2019 at 11:20 AM, DesiJF said:

Any bounty hunter that kills the little guy better kill the big guy as well, or their chances of enjoying the spoils of that bounty decrease dramatically.

Said bounty hunter better kill the big guy first; otherwise, they're just setting themselves up as target practice for someone with deadly aim.

On 11/29/2019 at 7:17 PM, pezgirl7 said:

I also loved seeing Cara kick his ass. So far, she's been the only one to really give him some trouble.

Not really.  The mud horn was on course to kill him; the Jawas laid Mando low as well, and that's just off the top of my head.

On 12/2/2019 at 9:03 AM, Uncle JUICE said:

She's just suddenly like "Would hit it" even though she doesn't know his name, and he doesn't take off his helmet (now that I write that, you know what, that widow's kind of a FREAK, girl, get it!). 

I didn't like anything at all to do with the village. I liked everything else, the cantina, the meet up with the sidekick of the week (I'm not sure how they break this pattern, but I kind of wish they would).  I thought having the mercenary ex-rebel, mayb ex-imperial (he called her a former Shock Trooper, and in two viewings I couldn't figure out if she'd deserted the Empire or if rebels had shock troopers) was a cool idea. I quite like the chance to explore the impact of the Empire's collapse on the non-Skywalker, non-bureaucrat class, this show has a lot of room to work there. 

I guess I'm the only one who doesn't want to revisit Omera and her blatant play for Mando.  Yes, I get the appeal.  The man oozes sex; his armor, his helmet, his alpha male strut.  Woo! I'm here for it.  But she was practically drooling.  Stop it already.  Have some self control.  😂  The shot of Mando leaning back in the carriage all manly like just supports my argument.  😍

As far as the village goes, I just rolled with it.  This show is so much fun and so much better than I expected, I just sit back and let myself be entertained.  I saw the original Star Wars, but would never call myself a die-hard fan.  I only got into the series a month or so ago and I'm waiting for all of season 2 to drop before I watch it. (Yes, I'm a binge watcher.)   I like the action, the adventures, Mando (maybe he should have been listed first) and the wild array of characters he and Baby Yoda run into along the way.  Baby Yoda is very cute and I like seeing the bond between him and Mando grow, but I'm in it for the armored one basically.

On 12/3/2019 at 2:20 PM, pezgirl7 said:

Talking about social cues, one thing I noticed while rewatching last night was that when Mando leans back on the sled to go to sleep, Baby Yoda also then leans back. It was super cute! And Mando lounging back was pretty hot. lol I hope that's Pedro in the suit. People on reddit were questioning whether or not it was really him, but I can't imagine it wouldn't be.

Yes, say that again for the people in the back.  😂

Edited by taurusrose

Wouldn’t it be easier for Mando to carry his little buddy? Walking alongside him would take forever - Baby Yoda's legs are tiny

Wow, two women with speaking roles (three if you include the bar owner from the beginning)!?

“You can’t fight an AT-ST.” Just trip it up! You had time to fell at least a couple of trees and we know a couple of swinging trunks will take one out. Or roll tree trunks in its path. You don't need a lone gunslinger Mandalorian, you need a pack of Ewoks!

Does Baby Yoda just like eating frogs? I guess it would figure with the original Yoda living in a swamp.

On 11/29/2019 at 11:48 AM, Anduin said:

The tracker has to be implanted in the kid. Time to find a surgeon, I think. Hell, maybe an EMP would do the trick.

ITA. You'd think Mando would at least try to disable it - or throw in a line about how it can't be deactivated ("It's Coded to his DNA via Hyperspace" or some such).

On 11/29/2019 at 9:29 PM, Nellise said:

I was trying to think of where I'd seen this before, then I saw someone reference Xena.

Or Shane, Seven Samurai (and its copycats), every episode of The A-Team... 

On 12/1/2019 at 2:28 AM, Kostgard said:

I was just thinking that it was weird that these people were willing to welcome Mando and LBY into their community, but no one bothered to ask their names

Maybe they’re just sufficiently Genre Savvy to know that a nameless character is higher on the Badass scale than one that throws their name around!

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

This episode was a nice change of place and pace.  It was different to see the Mandalorian have a brief sojourn of peace and have him relax a little (though I agree showing him removing his helmet in plain sight of an entire crowd was ridiculous, and it was a little soon for him to agree to take off his helmet).  Seeing him work with an equal like Cara was also a nice change.  It was clearly a bad idea to leave baby Yoda on the planet when bounty hunters were still tracking him, so it was nice to wrap up the episode with them leaving.  It was enjoyable to see a pretty clear-cut defeat of the villains.  

• Love 1