Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: Chapter Four - Sanctuary

• Start Topic

5 minutes ago, pezgirl7 said:

Also, the selection of good men in her village was extremely lacking.

I think like 90% of the appeal was "he is not a krill farmer, and I can maybe hope someday to not have to drink pureed krill if we can get this deal sealed."

• LOL 13
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, joanne3482 said:

Which, could baby Yoda become a Mandalorian or do they only "recruit" humanoid children for Mandalorian status. 

That would be quite a challenge for the armorer - unless Baby Yoda is okay with folding his ears into the helmet. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3

Besides the two fanboys, there were not many adult males. But a lot of kids....so most of the fathers were killed recently... Is polygamy a thing for Mandalorians? 

1 hour ago, MissLucas said:

That would be quite a challenge for the armorer - unless Baby Yoda is okay with folding his ears into the helmet. 

The way this is

• LOL 7

Yeah, I was wondering about that too. Normally you'd have at least one jerk around who would try to pull his ears or trip him over. I mean it's possible that the kids in this place were really all well-behaved and sweet but it did jar a bit with the overall cynical and dark vibe of the show.

• Love 2

A few complaints...sometimes this show can look low-budget and the unimpressive opening raid is one of those cases.  The farmers really got off light in that one for the most part and it looked like they were only slightly inconvenienced by the sad, low-budget raid.  Also, I remember Star Trek Enterprise doing this exact same plot twenty years ago and even then, it had been done to death decades before starting with The Seven Samurai.  So no points for originality.  

That being said, this was still a fun episode.  Gina Carano might not be the best actor but brings an awesome and believable physical presence to the show.  I like her backstory being tied to The Rebellion.  The battle at the end was very well-done and I enjoyed seeing the machine from Endor.  As a big fan of Dave Filoni's animated work, I was happy to see a Loth-Cat pop up.  Mando and the woman were good together and of course, Baby Yoda continues to be the most adorable thing on television.  Bryce Dallas Howard did a really good job with the direciton.

Mando said that he was rescued by the Mandalorians so that indicates he was not born into that culture.  I imagine it's an off-shoot sect as Mandalorians often removed their helmets on The Clone Wars and Rebels.

• Love 2

I was surprised Mando didn't put the sled in his spaceship and fly everybody back to the village. When leaving, the sled was driven by a robot. I was surprised Mando didn't have a problem with that. Village bullies food shamed Lil' Oda into Bulimia when he regurgitated the delicious froggy.

54 minutes ago, MissLucas said:

Yeah, I was wondering about that too. Normally you'd have at least one jerk around who would try to pull his ears or trip him over.

Throwing krill on the dirt to see if Baby Yoda can catch them? He can hunt frogs / toads but cannot catch something that cannot function on dry land??? Home school has its limits....

• LOL 1
55 minutes ago, paigow said:

Throwing krill on the dirt to see if Baby Yoda can catch them? He can hunt frogs / toads but cannot catch something that cannot function on dry land??? Home school has its limits....

I remember watching that and thinking they were being a little bit mean to him, number one, and number two, why not just grab them with the force, he stopped a mudhorn with it. I also really want to know why that ATST was there. 

1 hour ago, AnimeMania said:

I was surprised Mando didn't put the sled in his spaceship and fly everybody back to the village. When leaving, the sled was driven by a robot. I was surprised Mando didn't have a problem with that. Village bullies food shamed Lil' Oda into Bulimia when he regurgitated the delicious froggy.

He was trying to lay low, so I don't think he wanted to draw attention to his ship or where he was going to be staying. That's why he left it out in the woods, far from the village. Anyone that could track his ship could have found him instantly.

I was thinking that particular frog was maybe poisonous. I thought Baby Yoda kinda made a blech noise after spitting it out. But the way it was filmed, it does seem like he spit it out because the kids were laughing at him. But that's how babies learn, taking social cues from others. Maybe it's time he learned not to swallow live frogs whole. lol

• Love 2
1 hour ago, pezgirl7 said:

Maybe it's time he learned not to swallow live frogs whole. lol

Next week they might meet a Gordon Ramsey / Bobby Flay who shows them that only the legs are worth keeping.....

Edited by paigow
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

Talking about social cues, one thing I noticed while rewatching last night was that when Mando leans back on the sled to go to sleep, Baby Yoda also then leans back. It was super cute! And Mando lounging back was pretty hot. lol I hope that's Pedro in the suit. People on reddit were questioning whether or not it was really him, but I can't imagine it wouldn't be.

• Love 9
52 minutes ago, pezgirl7 said:

Talking about social cues, one thing I noticed while rewatching last night was that when Mando leans back on the sled to go to sleep, Baby Yoda also then leans back. It was super cute! And Mando lounging back was pretty hot. lol I hope that's Pedro in the suit. People on reddit were questioning whether or not it was really him, but I can't imagine it wouldn't be.

I've read an interview with Bryce Dallas Howard and she mentioned that Pascal wasn't available for the whole episode. But I thought that they had just adapted the schedule and filmed all the fighting scenes with his stunt double while he was away. Maybe they also used the double for some short other scenes - better not to think too hard about those things. And for those who wondered - she admitted taking inspiration from Jurassic Park for the scenes with the Imperial Walker (apparently she knew quite a lot of folks on set from JP as well - the puppeteers for example).

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 11/29/2019 at 7:02 PM, Chyromaniac said:

Okay so I have two reference jokes, and I can’t decide which I prefer:

1) For some, shyness is their AT-ST...

Or

2) Before the sun comes up, we're going to build on this site an exact replica of the town of Swamp Ridge!

I mean... both work but I have such a soft spot for the El Guapo speech that I just can't not pick that one. I know the whole thing... it's ridiculous and hilarious and I love it.

It wasn't too far into this episode where I thought 'Oh, this is the Magnificent Seven episode then...' which, you know, Seven Samaurai, Three Amigos, Blazing Saddles... it all ties together.

• Love 1
On 11/29/2019 at 6:48 AM, Anduin said:

So there's two of the women, plus a girl and a bunch of extras of both. You couldn't tell this was directed by a woman, could you?

Nevermind, this was explained in another post

Back to the episode 

The poster that called it The Magnificent One was spot on, this episode was basically the Magnificent Seven (Seven Samurai) but, with a happier ending.

I also go back to the Mandalorian being a live action RPG, I kept wondering where the Romance Sub-plot was and here we have it.  Come on Mando every good RPG needs to complete the Romance Sub-Plot LOL .

Gina Carano is still built, I figured she would have toned down a bit now that she was doing more acting. I could easily believe that Cara could not only kick Mando's ass.  I was worried she would end up betraying them in the end. I loved that they went in the opposite direction and saved Baby Yoda.

13 hours ago, GustavMahler said:

While I thoroughly enjoyed this episode, there was one aspect that put me off....the way all of the kids were in super gush mode over Baby Yods, I felt like I was watching an old Kenner Toys commercial....

I have to agree, I felt like they were treating him like a pet and not a child. That was a bit of a turn off

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1

Question for hard core animated series fans:

Was there a  Clone Wars episode that had a baby Hutt? I vaguely remember Obi-Wan making a deal with Jabba to rescue a kidnapped baby.

Maybe another reason why everyone has deja vu.,..

Thanks Otto

On 12/3/2019 at 7:14 PM, Morrigan2575 said:

I loved that they went in the opposite direction and saved Baby Yoda.

Mando was ready to hire Nick Nolte...why not Cara?

Did Cara think the Guild was running "Bring your kid to work" day? 

Edited by paigow
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, paigow said:

Did Cara think the Guild was running "Bring your kid to work" day? 

I think it was because Cara was concerned, I THINK, that there was a bounty on her, too, as a deserter. Plus there's almost certainly people hunting for Mando himself. Both  remain unconfirmed. Mando seems somewhat laconic and certainly parsimonious with his informatoin, so I'm not assuming he told her what happened with the guild and how he's not in its good graces at the moment, so it's also possible that he didn't ask her to come along because he doesn't want to endanger someone who helped him.  

2 hours ago, Uncle JUICE said:

, so it's also possible that he didn't ask her to come along because he doesn't want to endanger someone who helped him.  

She offered to continue helping Mando. Even if there is a Bounty on her, it would be negligible relative to Baby Yoda And The Man. She is also a far less conspicuous advance scout than a dude wearing shiny armour.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, paigow said:

She offered to continue helping Mando. Even if there is a Bounty on her, it would be negligible relative to Baby Yoda And The Man. She is also a far less conspicuous advance scout than a dude wearing shiny armour.

Quit using sense and rationale to destroy my fanwanking, Paigow! 🙂 

Seriously though, they can't continue to have these one off partners for the whole season, right? It feels too much like Amazing Stories (DEEP CUT!) from the 80's if you continue to do it for very long. Alternatively, you could have a multiepisode arc wherein these characters continue to interact, like Episodes 1 through 3 had with Nick Nolte's disgusting voice. 

Where's Grand Moff Gusfring? He can't be a single episode villain and we're now halfway through the season. 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, paigow said:

Kuiil and Cara have different skill sets. It seems like Mando needed someone who was good at engineering, and maybe doesn't need a hired gun. Also, he met Kuiil before he decided to become a baby daddy. Maybe he doesn't want to put anyone else into danger. But I'm thinking he'll eventually realize that he needs some help.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

When Mando takes his helmet off, it looks like he's sitting right in front of the open window facing the courtyard where kids are playing not 10 feet away. It seems like a strange way to stage the scene considering he had just finished saying he can't take his helmet off in front of other people. Or did I miss something?

I love the "woooh" noise Baby Yoda makes when Mando picks him up. I wasn't sure how to read his reaction when they're leaving the village, though. His ears drop and I think he whines a little when Winta hugs him, but he didn't seem as sad to be leaving as Cara had predicted. Maybe he never expected them to stay long, or he's happy as long as he's with Mando?

• Love 5
12 minutes ago, krankydoodle said:

When Mando takes his helmet off, it looks like he's sitting right in front of the open window facing the courtyard where kids are playing not 10 feet away. It seems like a strange way to stage the scene considering he had just finished saying he can't take his helmet off in front of other people. Or did I miss something?

You're right, it did look like that. He wants to keep an eye on the kid, sure. But it does feel a little odd. Maybe it doesn't count if someone happens to glance over? You know how it is with rules. Some people will always try to find exceptions and excuses.

• Love 1
54 minutes ago, krankydoodle said:

I love the "woooh" noise Baby Yoda makes when Mando picks him up. 

I've see a lot of people online talking about how stupid that was. I'm just going to chalk it up to bad writing or directing. But maybe there was a part of him that wanted to get caught. 

I love the noises Baby Yoda makes! The close captioning calls it cooing, which just makes it even more adorable. 

• Love 4
On 11/29/2019 at 5:53 PM, Cobalt Stargazer said:

The raiders didn't even bring the walker the first time, they just showed up and stormed the place because they seemed to know the villagers would run and hide rather than fight back. 

Yes they did. They didn't show it on screen but some of the laser blasts were coming from a higher level than people on the ground would be shooting. It made me think walker right away, but I liked how they left the reveal until the end.

I liked the simple story although I did wonder why they didn't blow up the walker at the bad guys camp while it was in like sleep mode.

• Love 2

Is anyone else struggling with the sound?

I watch almost everything with captions. I have an auditory processing disorder that makes it difficult for me to separate sounds. Like, in a bar, if someone tries to have a conversation with me I have much difficulty because I can't make their voice out from music and other people talking.

Watching things on TV, the issue often is the soundtrack seems louder than the dialogue. I have a better than decent TV. But I live in an apartment, so I don't bother with sound bars or monitors because I'm courteous about that sort of thing (even if my neighbors aren't so much).

I keep seeing (child coos) etc and I am not hearing almost ANYTHING from BnY.  Is it just me?

I'm going to re-watch one of the episodes with headphones through my Roku remote, see if that makes any difference.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, FierceCritter said:

I keep seeing (child coos) etc and I am not hearing almost ANYTHING from BnY.  Is it just me?

I don't hear a lot of the child coos either, unless I turn the sound up really high. But like you, I live in an apartment and try to be mindful of my neighbors. 🙂  I watch with the captioning on mostly because there will be made-up Star Wars' words that I don't recognize.

• Love 3

It's the same for me. I've seen the caption "[child giggling]" a few times, but haven't been able to hear it 😢

I remember reading that sound quality was sacrificed when TVs got thinner, which is one of the reasons why sound bars have become popular. It's especially frustrating with action movies when I have to crank the volume up to hear dialogue but then scramble to turn it down when there are explosions or gunfire.

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, krankydoodle said:

It's especially frustrating with action movies when I have to crank the volume up to hear dialogue but then scramble to turn it down when there are explosions or gunfire.

I, too, know this dance.

I have found that if you have a setting on your sound controls to equalize the volume, that can help with that. It's not perfect, but it helps.

• Useful 1
10 hours ago, FierceCritter said:

Is anyone else struggling with the sound?

I watch on my laptop with headphones, and I haven't had any issues. The new one I have doesn't provide captioning as far as I know, but because I watch the new eps right after they drop the house is quiet and there's no distractions. I'll have to try it this weekend and see if I have the same problem.

13 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

I watch on my laptop with headphones, and I haven't had any issues. The new one I have doesn't provide captioning as far as I know, but because I watch the new eps right after they drop the house is quiet and there's no distractions. I'll have to try it this weekend and see if I have the same problem.

Try looking at the top right corner of the screen when you see the information overlay (show title, show time, playback controls, etc.) for a white box. Clicking this white box will give you access to multiple combinations of foreign languages and subtitles (it is actually quite impressive).

• Useful 1

I re-watched a couple episodes last night to check the sound with headphones plugged into my Roku remote.  Tried both a pair of Bose over-ear and in-ear models. You have to crank the volume up into the 60's to get any sound at all, but that could just be the Roku remote hook-up. Neither set was better than the other, but the sound was better overall. At a comfortable listening volume, I could hear more of BnY's vocalizations.

Guess I'll be watching with captions and headphones from now on.

Edited by FierceCritter
Bad are run on sentences.
  • Useful 1
On 11/29/2019 at 8:40 AM, SnoGirl said:

Hey-o! Women characterS who speak! First three episodes were lacking, this one was not. I loved Cara.

Would it have killed them to let Omera and Cara have a conversation?  I can't imagine Cara wouldn't have been interested in knowing more about the only person there who could shoot like a sniper.  I did love Cara though and hope there is more of her.  And the episode was classic western (could have lived without the widow and the loner trope, but still).

I loved all the interactions between Mando and Baby Yoda.  The button pushing (literal) at the beginning was great.  And I also loved watching Baby Yoda observe and emulate Mando's behaviours.

I was right there with Cara when she warned Mando that leaving the child would break his little heart. Not that I truly believed Mando would end up leaving him, but I've never been so glad to see a barely thwarted assassination attempt on a child.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
15 hours ago, RachelKM said:

Would it have killed them to let Omera and Cara have a conversation?  I can't imagine Cara wouldn't have been interested in knowing more about the only person there who could shoot like a sniper.  I did love Cara though and hope there is more of her.  And the episode was classic western (could have lived without the widow and the loner trope, but still).

Baby steps! We went three episodes with only one woman speaking! I’ll take an episode with more than one woman talking. The women will talk to other women eventually....I hope. It would have been really awesome to see Cara ask Omera if she had been a solider too. Chances are high Omera did something in the war.

• LOL 1
On 12/2/2019 at 1:14 PM, joanne3482 said:

My nephew, who used to be big into the extended Star Wars universe with the books and all that, said that it was addressed with Boba Fett in one of the books that he did use a straw. He also told me that they were once a race but are now more like a cult (cult being my term). Which, could baby Yoda become a Mandalorian or do they only "recruit" humanoid children for Mandalorian status. 

If Disney's Rebels cartoon is supposed to be part of the official universe, why is Sabine able to still be a Mandalorian and be helmetless? 

I think the armorer could make him a handy little carrying thing for baby Yoda out of some of that Beskar steel.

That was great as was him leaving baby Yoda with the food lady and saying to "watch him" and the next thing you know he's standing outside drinking his bone broth while Mando and Cara fight. 

That was my favorite part of the episode. Mando and Cara fighting to a stalemate then camera pans over to Bright Eyes slurping away on his cup of porridge

With Mando as his daddy - future Yodalorian?

• Love 5
On 11/29/2019 at 3:41 PM, Samwise979 said:

I had to watch the "stop touching things" scene 3 times and then had to tell myself to stop rewinding it and get on with the show.  So hilarious 🤣🤣🤣 and so cute!!!!

I love that part, as well as, when Mando lands the ship.  Baby Yoda realizes he can play with the controls, and just as he grasps them with a smile on his little face, Mando pulls him away.  That look of "awwww, Dad!!!"

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
51 minutes ago, scorpio1031 said:

I love that part, as well as, when Mando lands the ship.  Baby Yoda realizes he can play with the controls, and just as he grasps them with a smile on his little face, Mando pulls him away.  That look of "awwww, Dad!!!"

I love when he opens his mouth up so we can see his tongue. He doesn't do it often, but it's totes adorbs.

babyyoda.gif.7d1b83b4f2a0e4d83ff4194df363fee9.gif

• Love 10

I found yet another video of the button scene (original, not filled with musical groups as is all over the 'net!), and whoever did the volume on this one rocks. There were even more cooing noises than at the end, when Mando put little Baby Yoda on his lap, than I was aware of.

For those that said they can never hear those noises, this video does feature them audibly, quite clearly!

• LOL 2
  • Love 7

Why does this show keep teasing us with cool potential sidekicks for Mando, only to take them away at the end? The IG-88 droid, then the rancher and now Gina Carano? Dammit, these characters are too interesting to just be one episode wonders.

Don't get me wrong, Baby Yoda is cute as a button, and quite a lot of fun, but I'd like more relationship dynamics at play than one, taciturn guy and a Force sensitive baby. I'd have loved to see Gina Carano and the overly-keen-to-self-destruct droid interact.

The widow was interesting as well. I'd like to know her backstory, with her shooting ability and calmness under fire. Ex-Stormtrooper? Nah, too accurate for that.

More backstory on Mandalorians, for those unfamiliar. I like the stringency of their commitment to battle - weapons as religious artefacts, never remove your helmet in in front of other people (guess Jango Fett was a lapsed Mandalorian). It is a rather silly, impractical idea.

Bringing back AT-STs and restoring some of their fear factor was nice. Most people just remember them as the ungainly jokes that were taken down by Ewoks. And it's a realistic touch that various groups of bandits and outlaws will have been able to get their hands on abandoned Imperial weaponry.

It would be nice to know how these tracking beacons work, too. Seemingly they can just find their targets by magic, no matter where they are. What are the actually tracking? I suppose this is the fantasy aspect of Star Wars coming into play.

• Love 2
On 11/29/2019 at 1:49 PM, tennisgurl said:

Assholes always trying to kill Baby Yoda. Who could hurt that sweet little face!?! 

Who indeed??? The rage I felt, seeing that bounty hunter sight on our precious Child--what the hell is wrong with you, man???

On 11/29/2019 at 7:17 PM, pezgirl7 said:

Great episode! Mando was in full dad mode, although he's obviously still learning,  because I had to question his decision of letting the baby follow him in the woods. Who knows what big bads were living there that could have lept out and eaten him! Also, baby Yoda has a lot of stamina; walking that distance with his tiny legs. 😊

I was worried for the baby in the bar--how many patrons might've accidentally stepped on him?

I squealed at seeing Leah Clearwater, one of my favorite characters in the Twilight saga. And then at the end saw that Bryce Dallas Howard had directed it! Not my favorite Victoria in Twilight (still love the original, Rachelle Lefevre) but still fantastic! And she did a great job here!

• Love 2
On 12/10/2019 at 4:11 PM, KungFuBunny said:

That was my favorite part of the episode. Mando and Cara fighting to a stalemate then camera pans over to Bright Eyes slurping away on his cup of porridge

With Mando as his daddy - future Yodalorian?

Slurping “bone broth,” if I heard correctly. I liked the part when the Baby was startled by that cat-ish looking creature.

• Love 1

Yep, it was bone broth. And it keeps bugging me that folks order bone-related food for Baby Yoda despite knowing almost zilch about his dietary needs. I mean Mando saw him gulping down a frog but he was also trying to eat that little silver ball in the cockpit. Is Baby Yoda using the Force to make sure he gets his favorite treats?

6 hours ago, MissLucas said:

And it keeps bugging me that folks order bone-related food for Baby Yoda despite knowing almost zilch about his dietary needs. 

A Galactapedia search for dietary requirements failed due to the species field remaining blank...

• LOL 6
  • Love 2