Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion II: The TFGH

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Culture Check: How can we discuss a character's or actor's appearance without objectifying them? How can we express likes or dislikes and still respect an individual's humanity or be mindful that a character represents a person someone else might relate to or identify with?

• Start Topic

Willow turning her back on Nina when she was trying to give her something important to their family was disgusting. So it's clear that the only reason why she was interested in finding her family was for her own selfish reasons.

They actually went there with Liz telling Finn that their relationship was damaged by his wanting to be a hero.

Uh, Austin, do you want to tell us something? Calling Spencer Ava's "super handsome stepson" is kinda telling.

• Like 8
  • LOL 4

I thought Terry looked amazing in that dress... both the color and the style... and her hair looked fabulous...

The bride’s dress didn’t thrill me at all because I don’t like a plunging neckline when they put in cheap  netting to camouflage part of the plunge

And oh my God Ava...who is always chic and put together... looked three times her size in those purple shiny garbage bags

All the men looked good except  Taggart who was not in a well fitting garment but everyone else looked very handsome

• Like 9
  • Love 1

Omg can Willow die already.  She's not even likable for this long drawn own cancer story. 

Nina go to the wedding and forget this brat. 

Can Jordan take her busy body self out of other people's business? 

Edited by Artsda
  • Like 9
  • Applause 3
  • Love 1

Call me old, and old-fashioned but I still believe red at a wedding isn't appropriate, unless you are Lucy Coe marrying Alan Q.  Red is too "look at me!", but as I've been told here, it's just me that feels this way.

Trina's dress reminded me of Gone with the Wind, where Scarlet is in her petticoat. 

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, ciarra said:

Call me old, and old-fashioned but I still believe red at a wedding isn't appropriate, unless you are Lucy Coe marrying Alan Q.  Red is too "look at me!", but as I've been told here, it's just me that feels this way.

Trina's dress reminded me of Gone with the Wind, where Scarlet is in her petticoat. 

It is, but i figure if the bride choses it for her colours then it's not that big deal i suppose -  but no i get you. like red, white, really pop colours isn't really good. you should really go for neutrals etc. (so Avas ....outfit is a sideeye as well) LOL

• LOL 1

I think we're supposed to believe that Austen doesn't get as rattled by certain things as most would because he's neurodivergent. But to me it doesn't really track because it's a trait that comes and goes based on plot needs.

And you certainly can't have him be disarmingly direct about Ava's situation vis a vis The Inconvenient Corpse, and then turn around and tell her what is definitely a socially correct lie about her looking good in that gown thing. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
On 2/8/2023 at 1:32 PM, Gigi43 said:

I know Austin was just helping Ava and that could've put him in a mood but he didn't seem upbeat about any news Teri may come in with for Willow. Is there still hope for Die, Willow, Die. I mean it would be a shame for Michael's dick to only death curse 2 of 3 sisters. Amelia is too normal for people who find Wylie an acceptable name but ok. Of course Michael would keep the Corrinthos name. 

Are we sure ‘Wylie’ isn’t really ‘Wyle E’?  Which would be strangely less worse.

• LOL 2
6 hours ago, ciarra said:

Normally I'm totally with you, but since this is a Valentine's wedding, I'm guessing it's part of her color scheme. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 4
11 hours ago, nilyank said:

Even when Madeline was dangling to Valentin that Nina had given birth, she only told him about one of the babies because she was hoping to manipulate him into getting her out of prison.

To be fair, the writers had no idea there would be a second baby.

• Like 8
  • LOL 2

As much as I hope Willow will die, it’s a nice consolation prize if Liesl is a match - because we’re then back to the fact that Carly almost cost Willow her life by keeping Harmony’s secret for too long.

• Like 7
  • Applause 2
8 hours ago, Auntie Velvet said:

I think we're supposed to believe that Austen doesn't get as rattled by certain things as most would because he's neurodivergent. But to me it doesn't really track because it's a trait that comes and goes based on plot needs.

And you certainly can't have him be disarmingly direct about Ava's situation vis a vis The Inconvenient Corpse, and then turn around and tell her what is definitely a socially correct lie about her looking good in that gown thing. 

I had totally forgotten about that! I thought it was because he was mob involved with cousin and unknown boss woman.

Ah, this show.

• Like 2
26 minutes ago, Kiki777 said:

As much as I hope Willow will die, it’s a nice consolation prize if Liesl is a match - because we’re then back to the fact that Carly almost cost Willow her life by keeping Harmony’s secret for too long.

If only there would be actual consequences. 

• Like 8
  • Applause 3
45 minutes ago, Kiki777 said:

I agree.  I doubt they will do another fakeout, so I am very hopeful that Liesl is going to be the match.  It's almost too late now though, and this could incite some anger against Carly.  I know, I know, I dream. 

9 hours ago, Daisy said:

It is, but i figure if the bride choses it for her colours then it's not that big deal i suppose -  but no i get you. like red, white, really pop colours isn't really good. you should really go for neutrals etc. (so Avas ....outfit is a sideeye as well) LOL

Ava's outfit is side eye for many reasons, omg.  At least Terry looks amazing in a beautiful dress.  What in hell was wardrobe thinking putting Ava in that monstrosity?  

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2
51 minutes ago, Kiki777 said:

But Carly will still face no consequences or any blame because she loves with her whole heart blah blah blah. The ship has sailed on Millow holding her responsible.  She will still be front and center and will really influence all of Millow's decisions just as she always has. Liesl might get in a few words to her but that will be it. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 3
9 hours ago, Auntie Velvet said:

I think we're supposed to believe that Austen doesn't get as rattled by certain things as most would because he's neurodivergent.

Had to look up 'neurodivergent' - so he's on the spectrum - like olivia's kid.  In his scenes with Ava, Roho seems so much more alive.  Maxie was the absolute worse pick of the cast for a romantic liaison with Roger.  I am looking forward to his next incarnation (as long as he refrains from chomping his food and no remnants of that horrible franco mistake pop up). 

• Like 6
  • Love 2

While RoHo plays Austin as somewhat in the spectrum, IIRC it was a cousin of his who he said was autistic, not Austin himself.

2 minutes ago, Kitty Redstone said:

So Jordan knows that Taggert isn't Trina's father?  And she casually sat on that secret while having lunch with him the other day, giving him no indication that she was going to blow up his world? 

It really isn't her secret to tell though. Jordan is trying to get Portia to come clean to Curtis before she marries him so their relationship doesn't blow up like hers with Curtis did.

Also, Jordan has no proof, only suspicions. Nina thinking that Willow and TJ are having an affair is bad enough, Jordan telling her suspicions to Taggert would devastate him if she's wrong.

• Like 7
  • Applause 1
12 hours ago, Auntie Velvet said:

think we're supposed to believe that Austen doesn't get as rattled by certain things as most would because he's neurodivergent.

is he? I thought it was his brother.

47 minutes ago, Kitty Redstone said:

So Jordan knows that Taggert isn't Trina's father?  And she casually sat on that secret while having lunch with him the other day, giving him no indication that she was going to blow up his world? 

It's not her secret to tell for one. But then she also tried to hint at things when they were having lunch. He thought she was talking about Portia cheating and the divorce. I don't even know how he never questioned Trina's paternity. He either sucks at math or he's willfully blind.

Also where were Portia's brother and dad? Couldn't the camera pan on them or something? Eff both Curtis and Drewfus.

Edited by YaddaYadda
  • Like 3
  • LOL 2
1 minute ago, YaddaYadda said:

I don't even know how he never questioned Trina's paternity. He either sucks at math or he's willfully blind.

Honestly, i see it as one of three things.

1: He asked Portia, she said no, so he flat out dropped it and why question it further.

2: He knows, but he doesn't care because he loves Trina regardless. 

3: He sucks at math LOL

i am hoping beyond hope Trina is Taggert but it's the act that Portia suspected, that pisses everyone off (though i legit don't understand this. Portia doesn't know for sure yet, right? i don't get why she doesn't just.... find out and then tell Curtis.)

• Like 5

Props out to Robert Gossett (Curtis' dad Marshall) for yesterday's performance.  I was somewhat shocked that he's been on since 10/21.  The chemistry between Curtis and Marshall seems quite forced.  And don't get me started at no chemistry between Curtis and his best man.  Time to shuffle some of the character interactions.

• Like 5
6 minutes ago, Daisy said:

Honestly, i see it as one of three things.

1: He asked Portia, she said no, so he flat out dropped it and why question it further.

2: He knows, but he doesn't care because he loves Trina regardless. 

i am hoping beyond hope Trina is Taggert but it's the act that Portia suspected, that pisses everyone off (though i legit don't understand this. Portia doesn't know for sure yet, right? i don't get why she doesn't just.... find out and then tell Curtis.)

I'd say that she probably lied to him because she never thought she'd see Curtis again, let alone marry him.

And unless Taggert is related to Aunt Stella, then Trina is not his kid. 

Portia sucks really hard and I still can't believe these dumbass writers are doing back-to-back Maury shows. 

I do hope they actually run a DNA test this time as opposed to relying on the necklace of vexation to determine that Nina is Nelle's mother. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2
17 hours ago, Kiki777 said:

Did anyone catch Austin referring to Spencer as Nik’s ‘super good-looking son’? That felt like an ad-lib and made me giggle.

I was like, Oh, HoYay! lives on!

12 hours ago, Auntie Velvet said:

tell her what is definitely a socially correct lie about her looking good in that gown thing. 

LOL. Austin has always had pretty good manners, IMO.

4 hours ago, Kiki777 said:

it’s a nice consolation prize if Liesl is a match - because we’re then back to the fact that Carly almost cost Willow her life by keeping Harmony’s secret for too long.

If Liesl is a match, along with insisting that Nina be a part of her grandchildren's lives, I hope Liesl asks Willow in that withering way Liesl has why Carly's lie is so much more forgivable than Nina's. I don't care what Willow sputters as an answer, but I'd like someone to point that out. Forget about Harmony—she's dead, so whatever. But Carly? Still around and way too active in the dolts' lives.

I don't understand Jordan's endgame here. She's said more than once that she's over Curtis, and I think we were supposed to believe that was genuine. Her not liking Portia is an extremely tired cliché, but whatever. How does Portia owning up to the lie (#KeepTrinaTaggert's!!) benefit Jordan? A few minutes of moral superiority, but you know Curtis and/or Taggert will find out Jordan had her suspicions and kept quiet. Taggert is supposed to be a friend—way to stick it to him—and she and Curtis have been fairly cordial once the dumb divorce paper drama was resolved. So this does what for Jordan, exactly? Ugh. So stupid, as with everything else on this fakakta show.

7 minutes ago, sunnyface said:

Props out to Robert Gossett (Curtis' dad Marshall) for yesterday's performance. 

It was quite the anvil that Marshall was worried about having an episode during the ceremony, despite the fact he hasn't ever had one.

• Like 7
  • Applause 3
30 minutes ago, Daisy said:

So does Finn, since he never bothered questioning Jackie until 30 year later.

I'd also like to know why Laura couldn't have a pretty dress instead of a pantsuit.

Edited by ciarra
  • Like 4
  • Love 2
16 minutes ago, sunnyface said:

And don't get me started at no chemistry between Curtis and his best man. 

Drewfus doesn't really have much chemistry with anyone.  He's like a floater who drifts thru town spouting platitudes and blowing smoke up people's asses.

Curtis should've asked Nina to be his best person.  Their vibe is 10000% more believable.

• Like 12
  • Applause 5
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, ciarra said:

I'd also like to know why Laura couldn't have a pretty dress instead of a pantsuit.

I know GF and/or her stylist love to put her in pants and I would love to see her wear non-dowdy clothes more, but this time I thought it fit her role as officiant well. The bright blue and the necklace looked great on her too.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Cheyanne11 said:

Curtis should've asked Nina to be his best person.  Their vibe is 10000% more believable.

The show doesn't deal in believable. Otherwise Willow would have walked into the great beyond, Drew would have been sent back to his prison because he's an imposter and the Carlys would have had their faces cracked 1,000 times over.

• Like 6
  • Applause 2

Wait wait.. I was just suggested a clip. 
Wiley sees Nina and freaks out happily because it's been a hot moment since he seen her (there goes that idea that "He barely knows Nina", Carly), Michael is trying to pull him away, he pulls away from him, gives Nina a bear hug and goes, "So why don't I see you more?" 

And then Willow comes down stairs screaming at Nina saying that she's evil and stay away from him? The heck? What was the context of that? iThat's all the clip showed, and I can't really find anything more about it

6 minutes ago, Daisy said:

Wait wait.. I was just suggested a clip. 
Wiley sees Nina and freaks out happily because it's been a hot moment since he seen her (there goes that idea that "He barely knows Nina", Carly), Michael is trying to pull him away, he pulls away from him, gives Nina a bear hug and goes, "So why don't I see you more?" 

And then Willow comes down stairs screaming at Nina saying that she's evil and stay away from him? The heck? What was the context of that? iThat's all the clip showed, and I can't really find anything more about it

Willow had a sappy dream about just how happy she was in her life that turned into a nightmare that her spawns were given to Nina and that she named the baby girl Nelle, which was kind of hilarious. Then she got up, went down the stairs, flipped her lid when she saw Wylie with Nina, pulled him away from her, called Nina evil, which confused the hell out of Wylie. 

Then her ass went up the stairs with Wylie, she passed out, but didn't hit her head nearly hard enough and she's been in the hospital ever since.

The loud thud was also funny, btw. 

• Like 1
  • Love 4
On 2/9/2023 at 10:31 AM, statsgirl said:

Like being gifted the CEO chair of a multinational company when he has no qualifications or using the Quartermaine money bribe a DA to get Nina on trial for identity theft (🤯) as @ffwbe said. He may have disowned Sonny but everything he learned, he learned from Sonny and Carly.

In the tiny pocket universe of Show, governed by the physical laws of terrible writing by lazy, ignorant dolts, the SEC is staffed by three people.

On 2/8/2023 at 8:06 PM, RedElf said:

The time his girlfriend broke up with him because she is doing a mobster.

If that were a ‘Friends’ episode, they could title it ‘The One Where Cam is Dumped by a Total Bitch”.

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

If there's a "Pennsylvania side of the river", Port Charles has to be on Lake Erie, not Lake Ontario. Lake Ontario is completely surrounded by New York and Ontario; no Pennsylvania is involved. It is very, very ludicrous that Port Charles is tucked away in that remote western corner of New York State and yet it's a major, essential port worthy of multi-mob activity, they can still casually visit New York City and all the other silly indicators of being unmoored from normal geography.

All allegedly newborn babies on TV shows are too big, even on "Call the Midwife". I mock at it, but assume that it's a rule: nobody wants to subject a baby to bright hot lights and such till it's had a few weeks' experience in the world. Amelia Grace is certainly one of the biggest TV newborns I've seen, though. 

Surely the fact that the half-heart necklace was brought up again, and Nina even mentioned that Willow had a twin, means that Nelle is alive, will emerge from Lake Erie on a seashell, and will demand that Willow give her Wiley in exchange for bone marrow. No, that would only lead to further awful scenes of Martyr Willow choosing to die rather than do so. Nelle just needs to turn up and show Willow what a real bad relative looks like. And plague her for years.

• Like 4
  • Applause 4
  • LOL 2
10 hours ago, Kiki777 said:

It won’t matter. I’m surprised that Willow hasn’t already somehow apologized to Carly because Carly kept this secret from her.

• Like 5
On 2/9/2023 at 11:39 AM, Daisy said:

human leukocyte antigens - the proteins they need to match. 

you know honestly - this is where Willow's mother would be acting. but the mother is the EVUL so... (also. i legit agree)

because Carly did it out of LOOOVVEEEEEEE

and also show. I do not care that willow has weeks to live. she chose this. CHOSE IT. 

I really hope Willow does and the actress gets a job playing a character somewhere else that isn’t written so horribly.

• Like 3

I'm team Nina, but, um, it was a bit of an unusual choice for her to get in to see Willow (who has just learned she will probably die) and be all, "hey, just wanted you to have this precious necklace that will always connect you with your sister ...who took your dead baby and gave it to Michael, tried to burn Michael alive, tried to kill BLQ, and kidnapped Wiley. Just thought you would want to have it. 🤷‍♀️😬

• Like 2
  • LOL 3
On 2/9/2023 at 7:36 PM, lala2 said:

YES!! I liked him w/Anna too but w/Elizabeth . . . ugh! He's horrible w/her.

As you said, he comes off very pushing, controlling, and overbearing. He doesn't know the meaning of the word boundaries. He doesn't respect her wishes. It's like she cannot breathe w/o him all up in her face and her business. It's annoying. He acts more like her dad (and given there's a 20-year age difference btw them now I get it - lol) than her boyfriend/partner. 

Granted, I was a huge Friz fan, but I never hated Finn. I thought they tried to hook him and Liz up too fast, but I wasn't opposed to them. If the show had done a better job of showing us their love story, his attitude might not be so offputting to me but they didn't so Finn just comes off like a busybody. Someone on Reddit said, "Doesn't he have a first grade PTA meeting to go to or something," and I laughed! He is always in Liz's business. It's ridiculous. 

Michael Easton and Rebecca Herbst are 10 years apart, not 20.  He’s 55, and she’s 45

• Useful 1
On 2/10/2023 at 1:12 PM, Bringonthedrama said:

A) Yep, he both looks and acts like RH is back to playing Franco except with a different character's name. I suspect Nikolas was not entirely dead and so Austin somehow injected him with something that keeps him alive. (Remember what Helena did with Stavros to bring him back to life.)

B) It really did!! I thought, "shiny purple garbage bags??" That's beneath Ava!!!

Maybe Austin is acquainted with David Hayward from AMC and borrowed some restriction medecine.

While I am firmly in the #Die!Willow!Die! camp, it would be awful to find your birth family as you were dying and they turned out to be Nina, Nelle and Olbrecht. Mortal enemies of your chosen family. BSC even when compared to growing up in a cult.

This should be dramatic and heartbreaking-ly soapy stuff. That it's not is typical GH. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
  • Love 1
41 minutes ago, tessaray said:

While I am firmly in the #Die!Willow!Die! camp, it would be awful to find your birth family as you were dying and they turned out to be Nina, Nelle and Olbrecht. Mortal enemies of your chosen family. BSC even when compared to growing up in a cult.

This should be dramatic and heartbreaking-ly soapy stuff. That it's not is typical GH. 

41 minutes ago, tessaray said:

I think it would be all kinds of fun to have Olbrecht as my aunt.

• Like 7
  • Love 1
9 minutes ago, Suicidy said:

I think it would be all kinds of fun to have Olbrecht as my aunt.

Sure, me too. 🙂 But she has done a lot of awful things.

Maybe Willow will come around once Liesl saves her life but I won't be holding my breath. Not as long as she is under the thumb of Carly and Co.

• Like 6
12 hours ago, Corvino said:

If there's a "Pennsylvania side of the river", Port Charles has to be on Lake Erie, not Lake Ontario. Lake Ontario is completely surrounded by New York and Ontario; no Pennsylvania is involved. It is very, very ludicrous that Port Charles is tucked away in that remote western corner of New York State and yet it's a major, essential port worthy of multi-mob activity, they can still casually visit New York City and all the other silly indicators of being unmoored from normal geography.

Hmmm I have never thought of PC being on lake Erie before. I think they have specifically mentioned Lake Ontario at times, but I am open to change my perspective, The "Pennyslvania side of the river" made no sense at the time IIRC in any case. But whereever PC they also have a major international airport that they can get to anywhere is the world in a couple hours.

• LOL 4
41 minutes ago, Blackie said:

Hmmm I have never thought of PC being on lake Erie before. I think they have specifically mentioned Lake Ontario at times, but I am open to change my perspective, The "Pennyslvania side of the river" made no sense at the time IIRC in any case. But whereever PC they also have a major international airport that they can get to anywhere is the world in a couple hours.

Well, in a country that features beach cliffs in Florida . . . I guess anything's possible!

• Useful 1
  • LOL 9
10 hours ago, tessaray said:

it would be... if your chosen family wasn't Michael and Carly who has also done really horrible things. Which she's okay with. It probably would resonate more with me if her chosen family was say Chase/Finn vs those guys

• Like 8
On 2/10/2023 at 3:45 PM, mostlylurking said:

Ugh why did Molly have to be introduced as TJ’s “domestic”partner.  Just say his partner.  Jeeze.

They’ve insisted before on saying life partner so it seems to be a pattern for them. After all, they did have a ceremony and legal paperwork

• LOL 1
12 hours ago, Suicidy said:

Michael Easton and Rebecca Herbst are 10 years apart, not 20.  He’s 55, and she’s 45

On the show, they made Finn about 20 years older than Liz w/their ridiculous Liz throws Reiko down the stairs at 15 retcon! Finn and Reiko were already practicing doctors at that time!

Edited by lala2
  • Like 2