Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion II: The TFGH

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Culture Check: How can we discuss a character's or actor's appearance without objectifying them? How can we express likes or dislikes and still respect an individual's humanity or be mindful that a character represents a person someone else might relate to or identify with?

• Start Topic

Someone explain to me like I'm Sonny why it was so dang important for BL to sing to get this client to put Deception cosmetics in her stores????   I get that it was a plot point, but surely there was another, better reason.  Also, I was actually shocked that the whole thing tanked.  I was expecting no one to notice that Amy, standing maybe 20 feet away, just around the edge of the doorway, was the one singing and that no one would notice that there was no sound coming from BLs mouth, mere inches away from them.    I also thought it was hilarious that Chase just kind of bumbled his way into it by accident 

• LOL 3
  • Love 3

Is Sasha taking drugs or something? I must have missed something along the way. [/sarcasm]

Poor Chase has really been put in the position of saving all the women of his age group, hasn't he? The Deception song is okay but I wouldn't buy cosmetics based on any song much less put them in my chain of stores. What a stupid plot point.

Bringing back Jackie Templeton and tying her to so many points on the canvas (Lulu and the Invader and Cyrus, Robert's old friend, Chase's mother, the Peter plot) is good in theory but it's not quite working for me.

Just move this Peter reveal along already.

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

I don't feel an ounce of sads for this whole Deception thing blowing up so spectacularly in Lucy's face. She deserves it for being so obnoxious.

I don't like that Deception, a business run by women, blows up in Lucy's face while dunderhead Michael is still at ELQ. And Valentin, a man, has to pick up the pieces? GAH.

Can Lucy fire BL? I thought she had a piece of the pie.

I had to laugh at Sasha getting all huffy at Lucy's scolding. Lady, you blew it big time with your sudden (and inexplicable) coke habit. There are going to be consequences!

So the Deception song is something about, I don't know, ruins? What a terrible, terrible song.

13 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

I don't understands what they are doing with Cyrus. Dude, just start blowing up stuff instead of grandstanding. Can we get on with it? As much as I liked Jeff Kober, especially from his days on SOA, I'm fine if Cyrus drops off the face of GH tomorrow. 

Same here. The pacing on this story is excruciating. Cyrus has to start doing something more than making vague, veiled threats to anyone he crosses paths with. Jason's motorcycle accident was hardly a first step, given he survived.

Mac is the best dad ever in Port Charles.

• Love 12

I feel that BL's song is not appreciated for the work of genius that it is. It's about ruins, ruins, ruins, and the cosmetics called "Deception" is going to make everything all right again. This plot point must have been written by someone who hates cosmetics. Or women.

14 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

I thought that Valentin had told her that he would make her a singing star, not that she has a stake in the company.

Lucy said that Sasha was an investor in the company. Where did she get money to invest?

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

I don't like that Deception, a business run by women, blows up in Lucy's face while dunderhead Michael is still at ELQ. And Valentin, a man, has to pick up the pieces? GAH.

But Michael is so business savy and so very smart!

And of course Valentin will don his super hero cape and save the wimmin folk from theselves. I can take Lucy in small doses and she was unbearable. She was so self-involved. The girls you have with you and that you are banking on have problems. It started with her telling Sacha that she looked like roadkill then going full steam ahead into pressuring BL into singing (Valentin too). Lucy made me wish the ground would open under her feet and swallow her.

Also, why was Maxie not at this super duper crucial meeting that could make or break the business?

• Love 4
19 minutes ago, statsgirl said:
36 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

I thought that Valentin had told her that he would make her a singing star, not that she has a stake in the company.

That's entirely possible! I don't pay close attention to BL's career aspirations, though I appreciate she has them.

21 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

Also, why was Maxie not at this super duper crucial meeting that could make or break the business?

She had that genetic counseling appointment, which I do think is a legit reason to not be at the business meeting. However, she should have stopped by afterward to check in. Though maybe everything happened at the same time and the meeting had exploded by the time she'd have gotten there. It did make me smile that Maxie was talking about how great her career and life were going when she hadn't even given Lucy a call to see how things went. So much for her investment in Deception.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
40 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

So typical and so obnoxious. I swear this show was less misogynist 20-30 years ago.

• Love 4

I would rather the entire nursing staff show up at my door and sing "Welcome to the Nurses' Ball" non-stop for 24 hours over that "Ruin, ruin, ruin" drivel. 

In other news, oh how I love a good Scorpio Brothers scene.  Mac chastising Robert for his treatment of Peter but qualifying it with "but if you're right, I help you beat him senseless" was *chef's kiss.*

• LOL 5
  • Love 6

I am glad that the stupidity of Amy secretly singing for BLQ was exposed. Now if only someone can figure out Sasha drug addiction.

It has been months and months. Jordan still hasn't come up with a plan to deal with Cyrus. at the end of all this, I need her to be fired. Hopefully, Dante's programming has been cured and he can take the top spot.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6

WTF was that? Who can't hear someone singing at the top of their lungs 10 feet away through an open door? I thought maybe they were going to do a whole "Singing in the Rain" type story with Amy providing BL's vocals, and BL getting a big head cuz it's a success and insisting Amy stay in the shadows, then being exposed. 

It's like some stories last 3 days and some last 3 years. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, perkie1968 said:

Someone explain to me like I'm Sonny why it was so dang important for BL to sing to get this client to put Deception cosmetics in her stores????

SERIOUSLY. Is this a thing with her?

"Hello, Ms. Store Owner, I design handbags. Would you be interested in selling them?" "Hmm, these bags are nice. But first, some interpretive dance!"

"Madam, I think we could both make a killing if you stocked my hand-stitched vegan leather boots." "Possibly. Tell you what, read me your haiku, and we'll talk."

• LOL 17
15 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Is Sasha taking drugs or something? I must have missed something along the way.

I love how she pulls out her little baggie and is shocked, SHOCKED that it's empty.  Because somehow, she didn't notice the last time she took some, that she emptied the bag.  So stupid.  

15 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Lucy said that Sasha was an investor in the company. Where did she get money to invest?

Michael loaned her the money (and pitched her to Lucy) when they were dating.  

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
19 hours ago, ouinason said:

I mean, Nelle already murdered her fiance and tried to murder Michael, so that corner was turned long ago.

I wonder what viewers hold against Nelle more - trying to kill Michael or not succeeding in killing him?

• LOL 11
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, TeeVee329 said:

Poor Mac, having had to deal with this parade of losers Maxie has brought to his door. 

He's been amazingly tolerant, hasn't he?

39 minutes ago, Mirabelle said:

I wonder what viewers hold against Nelle more - trying to kill Michael or not succeeding in killing him?

I know where I stand here.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, perkie1968 said:

I love how she pulls out her little baggie and is shocked, SHOCKED that it's empty.  Because somehow, she didn't notice the last time she took some, that she emptied the bag.  So stupid.  

That's drug use for you.

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

Why is Sacha wearing running shoes with for what passes as elegant dresses on GH? Are they worried the actress is going to tower over her peers, or something?

That might have been a camera mistake. A lot of actors wear sneakers/slippers/comfortable shoes when they know they won't be in a full-body shot.

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, perkie1968 said:

Sasha uses drugs like I manage ice-cube trays.

• LOL 10
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, YaddaYadda said:

Why is Sacha wearing running shoes with for what passes as elegant dresses on GH? Are they worried the actress is going to tower over her peers, or something?

I caught that too, and thought it was weird, especially since they looked pristine. But I think it was an oops. 

• Love 1

Ah, Brando! Yes, everyone in PC knows each other and everyone has slept with everyone as well. You'll get used to it.

Day 1,000,000 of the Peter death watch. Still hate him with the fire of a bagillion suns. He can take Maxie with him down to hell and Anna while he's at it.

Edited by YaddaYadda
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2

Of course Carly is the one going through Mike's papers. Sonny can't do anything, can he? Ugh. Though LOL that Carly wants to shove all the crap onto one of Diane's poor clerks. What did any of them do to deserve that?

I loved how Valentin totally had BL's number. She is responsible for her dumpster fire of a life when she makes dumb decisions and refuses to accept the consequences. Grow the fuck up, little girl. 

"I don't want you to torture yourself with something when you don't have to." Oh, Carly. Do you not know your husband at all? Sonny lives to play the martyr.

Has Anna forgotten that Britt is Faison's daughter? Easy enough to ask her about her genetic makeup, saying it's because Peter's worried about something.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Easy enough to ask her about her genetic makeup, saying it's because Peter's worried about something.

Yes, but if Britt doesn't have the marker for RA, than Anna is back at the beginning.  

14 minutes ago, perkie1968 said:

Yes, but if Britt doesn't have the marker for RA, than Anna is back at the beginning.  

But wouldn't Britt have probably mentioned that she also had the marker for RA?

• Love 1

But does marker get automically passed down to all the children? We had Sonny about maybe inheriting Alzheimer's from Mike and by extension all of his kids. So is this a dominant or reccessive gene marker?

4 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Has Anna forgotten that Britt is Faison's daughter? Easy enough to ask her about her genetic makeup, saying it's because Peter's worried about something.

Most people don't do that kind of genetic analysis unless there is a reason such as a family history or a geriatric pregnancy. (How old is Maxie anyway?)

It's apparently multiple genes that affect RA.

The inheritance pattern of rheumatoid arthritis is unclear because many genetic and environmental factors appear to be involved. However, having a close relative with rheumatoid arthritis likely increases a person's risk of developing the condition.

But even if they take the simplest inheritance, a single dominant gene, it could easily be that Henrik inherited the chromosome with the gene, and Britt inherited its benign partner.

I don't understand why knowing that Henrik has an RA gene gives Anna any more information as to who his biological mother is. As an identical twin, she's pretty much got the same genes as Alex.

4 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Has Anna forgotten that Britt is Faison's daughter? Easy enough to ask her about her genetic makeup, saying it's because [LWB/FS]'s worried about something.

Does Anna know she's back?  You would think Dr. Michael Easton would be bitching to her about Britt, but I can't recall if we've seen that with the Jackie of it all.

And it just hit me - so we're going with another medical condition to expose LWB/FS?  That's how he was unmasked initially, by getting tested for Huntington's.

1 hour ago, nilyank said:

But does marker get automically passed down to all the children? We had Sonny about maybe inheriting Alzheimer's from Mike and by extension all of his kids. So is this a dominant or reccessive gene marker?

Having gone thru genetic testing, the odds of a person getting a gene from a parent is 50% (short answer, it's a little more nuanced as explained to me when I had genetic counseling).  And even if you have the gene, that still doesn't mean you'll develop whatever the gene gives you a higher chance of getting. 

I don't get why Carly was so against Sonny getting tested. 

• Love 1
9 hours ago, statsgirl said:

I don't understand why knowing that Henrik has an RA gene gives Anna any more information as to who his biological mother is.

I think Anna wants to find out which of the two, Alex or Faison has the gene.  If it's Alex, than she's Peter's mother, since Anna doesn't have the gene.  If it's Faison, than she's back to not knowing if she's the mother.  I think she's heading over to Kevin's to get into Faison's brain (assuming the writers remember that Kevin (or was it Ryan at the time?) took Faison's brain and had it in a jar on his desk.  

24 minutes ago, perkie1968 said:

I think Anna wants to find out which of the two, Alex or Faison has the gene.  If it's Alex, than she's Peter's mother, since Anna doesn't have the gene.  If it's Faison, than she's back to not knowing if she's the mother.  I think she's heading over to Kevin's to get into Faison's brain (assuming the writers remember that Kevin (or was it Ryan at the time?) took Faison's brain and had it in a jar on his desk.  

But if Alex and Anna are identical twins doesn't that mean all their genes are the same?

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Katy M said:

But if Alex and Anna are identical twins doesn't that mean all their genes are the same?

I was only half paying attention, but they gave an excuse on the show today for why Alex could be a carrier. 

I wonder if the writers googled what I just googled:

Though externally monozygotic twins look remarkably similar, they can be discordant for various phenotypes. The most commonly reported difference is the fingerprint, everyone has a distinct print and this is no different in monozygotic twins. However, these differences can be more serious with some discordance in development of complex disorders such as schizophrenia [2], congenital heart disease [3] and autoimmune diseases such as type-one diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis and multiple sclerosis [4].  

https://www.biotechniques.com/cell-and-tissue-biology/not-so-identical-twins/

Honestly, if this gets the storyline resolved, I don't care if they used Dr. Seuss as their source.

• LOL 3
  • Love 3

yeah-- its weird they're having two entirely separate characters/storylines talk about genetic testing. Knowing this show, we're probably gonna find out that Anna and Sonny are related somehow. Or Peter and Sonny (which means once Peter is revealed as the person behind Drew's death-- Sonny won't let Jason kill him). 

On 10/13/2020 at 3:07 PM, YaddaYadda said:

I still really hate Peter. And I think I finally managed to put my finger on why I hate him so much. The acting just comes off as 100% insincere in everything he says and does. It's like he's auditioning for the part of the boyfriend or the part of the son and trying very hard to land the role. He cannot act.

You're absolutely right, and it's painful to watch. One of the great actors, Spencer Tracy I think, once said that the public isn't supposed to see you acting, which is exactly what we get from LWS.

Hopefully, they will pair Maxie with someone decent after this loser.  On a shallow male note, girl's been wearing those jeans over the past two days. Kirsten looks really healthy these days, happy for her.

Edited by Winston Wolfe
  • Love 2
43 minutes ago, Winston Wolfe said:

On a shallow male note, girl's been wearing those jeans over the past two days. Kirsten looks really healthy these days, happy for her.

The character never dresses like this and it makes me think this is Kirsten's personal clothes, which are definitely an improvement to whatever wardrobe normally puts her in.

As long as they don't re-pair Maxie with Spinelli, I'm good.  

• Love 5
16 hours ago, statsgirl said:

It's apparently multiple genes that affect RA.

Oh, now you're getting all scientific on us, @statsgirl.

And speaking of science, 

16 hours ago, statsgirl said:

I don't understand why knowing that Henrik has an RA gene gives Anna any more information as to who his biological mother is. As an identical twin, she's pretty much got the same genes as Alex.

Anna was talking to Finn yesterday about how identical twins didn't necessarily have exactly the same genes due to blahblah lots of technical terms fishcakes. It cracks me up how the show decides to drill down here and try to make things somewhat plausible, but when it's something very simple, it punts. Oh, Show.

15 hours ago, Cheyanne11 said:

I actually do get this, go figure! Just because he has the gene doesn't mean he'll automatically develop Alzheimer's, and Carly didn't want him obsessing over that. That sort of thing can take over your life. For a lot of conditions, it's not recommended you see if you have a marker for it, especially when there's currently no cure for them. And as Carly pointed out, Sonny was already doing what he could to stay healthy, by exercising and eating right. (I thought the drinking "joke" was rather tasteless, given that Sonny shouldn't have alcohol in the first place due to his bipolar meds, but that's clearly a lost cause.) Whatever happens, happens. They know what to look for in terms of early symptoms.

• LOL 1
21 hours ago, ciarra said:

Dear Olivia, the point of wearing a robe over your plunging neckline nightie is to conceal your boobies. 

Copy that! Even though LiLo has an incredible body, my thoughts were did no Mother would be comfortable in front of her adult son looking like that. In other news, Valentine is much more likeable outside of the orbit of the Filler/Botox Lady. He's no Stephan, but at least tolerable now. And it's helpful that Charlotte has for the most part disappeared.

Edited by Winston Wolfe
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Cheyanne11 said:

The character never dresses like this and it makes me think this is Kirsten's personal clothes, which are definitely an improvement to whatever wardrobe normally puts her in.

As long as they don't re-pair Maxie with Spinelli, I'm good.  

I've spent years annoyed that Kirsten is so much more adorable than Maxie. The past couple of weeks, though, I've liked Maxie's look more. Makes me think you are absolutely correct.

• Love 3

Frankly, even if I did hate Peter (which I don't) I would root for him and Maxie if it kept her as far away from Spinelli as possible.  Hell, I'd root for her to hook up with Cyrus or Valentine at this point as long as Spixie doesn't ever happen again.

ETA: I'm not willing to speak on the idea of a certain male as a pairing, because God knows we accidentally joked Soily into being on the TWOP boards, and I'm not takin' no chances!

Edited by ouinason
  • LOL 2
  • Love 4
14 minutes ago, ouinason said:

Frankly, even if I did hate Peter (which I don't) I would root for him

I don't hate Peter, exactly, but the show still hasn't figured out what to do with him. I have no idea if he's supposed to be good or bad. And while I think it's logical that WR gives Peter a sort of desperation for everyone to see him as good, it's also exhausting to watch. Just have Peter own whatever he does. Valentin and Julian became instantly more likable to me once they both went into DGAF territory. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

KS's jeans were okay.  I question her pairing them with that top:  boat-neck, 3/4 sleeves with elastic, in chiffon-type fabric.  It was a good color for her, and a departure from the black she usually gets stuck with.

• Love 1

I really dislike how Dev is now this creep who's fabricating diary entries and tearing apart friendships all to get closer to precious Joss. It's not that I care enough about Dev to be disappointed by his behavior here, it's just that this development is so sudden and desperate and off-putting. Plus, I think there's enough real, complicated feelings in the teen group that we don't need Dev's mechanications muddying the waters, too.

Alexis drinking "Definite Vodka" made me laugh. At least the prop department is having some fun with this story. What was the point of having Nikolas show up out of the blue to speak to Alexis if he wasn't going to notice something was off with her? He could have just as easily been talking to Lulu and it would have made no difference. +10 points to the show for remembering Alexis and Nikolas are related, -50 points for them having such an inconsequential meeting.

Since Ava saw Nik's name on the tattered check, I guess the whole dumb Scotty blackmailing plot was just a long-winded way of providing her with justification to divorce Nikolas, take his money, and appease Ryan/save Julian in one fell swoop. I'm kinda hoping she'll prioritize covering Julian's ass and push for the divorce, newfound feelings between her and Nikolas be divorce. Julian has earned her loyalty; Nikolas has not. I'm not interested in watching Ava twist herself into knots over a man who's given her the barest minimum of affection and respect.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Oh, lord, we're still on this dumb blackmail story? It doesn't help that Scott is so inept.

Maura's hair looked great. I don't know why today was especially good, but it's fantastic.

Hey, Ned? If you're so concerned about Alexis drinking again, maybe go see her in person?  You can do it after the BL stuff. I did love the "Definite" vodka bottle. Hee.

Once again MB is yelling and using a scolding tone. I really wish someone would point that out to him and tell him to stop. HIs contempt when talking to Julian was so stupid. I really hate how Sonny treats him. And I hate that Julian lets him.

• Love 3