Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E07: Slappy Holidays

Pallas
  • Start Topic

I thought this episode was well done, a good mix of serious and funny. My favourite line was when Louise expressed surprise that there was an option to leave, like she wished she had thought of it. And Jackie's routine was hysterical. All in all, a strong episode. 

• Love 19

I've found Jackie to be utter insufferable lately, so I enjoyed Darlene's take down of her. Jackie has never had her life together, and seems to just expect everyone to hand her things. But I did like the line of "You're not the mother of this family", as it indicates Jackie is still not handling Roseanne's death well and I think that's a very realistic portrayal. I can't say I'm pleased they ended up with the Lunchbox, because it was clearly shown in a previous episode they weren't ready.

Katie Segal was wonderful. As was Dan's shock at bringing booze back to the garage.

Edited by RunningMarket
  • Love 19

They give Jackie and Becky the restaurant why? So they can run it into the ground instead of taking the 2 year lease? Good god can anyone in this family make a good decision? It’s like the writers are just making them stupider and stupider. Darlene was 100% in the right to want to take the 2 years of guaranteed money from the chain instead of No money for the first year at least.  This whole family has just become super insufferable. And now that Becky has her way she’s moving back in and not using her child has leverage? No one other then Dan has made it into this new season with any likability whatsoever. 

Edited by Keywestclubkid
  • Love 24
7 minutes ago, Snow Apple said:

Doesn't Bev have a say in her money? Her life savings could be down the drain and she could lose the building without rent to keep it going. Then where would she be if she ever needs full time care?

Becky and Jackie dont care about that.,, they only care about what they want in this moment this is why the are in the situations they are in .... they will never make smart decisions ... ones a recovering alcoholic with no life skills and the other hasn't held down a job for longer then 6 months at a time but yea sure they will be a super success in the restaurant business ... eyeroll they might has well just hand the bank back that building cause taxes and bills are gonna become due and just like the bike shop its gonna go under but as long as becky and Jackie got their way it doesn't matter...  I really really really dislike the road they are taking Jackie down 

Edited by Keywestclubkid
  • Love 18
6 minutes ago, RocknRollZombie said:

Call me delusion, or just as stupid as Becky and Jackie but I do think they can make it with the lunch box. And I love that Dan supports them ....well more so Becky.

Can I ask why you think that? I mean they haven’t shown any capability in doing anything successfully at all in the season and a half that it’s been on have no money to put into the business to get it up and running won’t show profit for the first at least year don’t have money to get the equipment they need won’t be able to get a loan  they won’t have bev or anyone else’s money to help bail them out like when Roseanne ran it have no safety net no old gay boss no lesbian sinking her money in. And even then with all that it still failed but a soup restaurant is gonna make it? . if this was real life this thing would go under in 6 months 

Edited by Keywestclubkid
  • Love 8
6 minutes ago, RocknRollZombie said:

It maybe because I hate when people doubt another person’s abilities at being able to do something. There are always people who start with absolutely nothing when starting a business, but with determination those people always make it work out. The people who believe in something and have that drive to want to make their vision a reality. That’s all.

Fair enough but to quote dr Phil (ugh shoot me) the best indicator of future behavior is their past relevant behavior and they tried this already and it failed and they are taking nothing they learned from that they are just bull in a china shopping it AGAIn but this time with less help and financial backing.  Becky has never ran anything in her life and is still being super selfish and Jackie is well Jackie and doesn’t have the follow through even when Roseanne was around. Maybe the writers will give them the magical Win that in real life would never happen for these people but the way the writing as been for these people in this reboot and how they like to keep just piling on the bad after the bad after the bad it’s gonna fail and of course Jackie and Becky will blame everyone else but themselves for its failure 

Edited by Keywestclubkid
  • Love 4

Welp, I’m back to hating Darlene again. Everything I disliked about her in the original show is in full form again. What I really want to know though is where the fuck is Bev in all of this. I fully think she knew exactly what she was doing when she put Darlene as her power of attorney instead of Jackie. Jackie definitely has her issues but she saved enough money from trucking (and a lawsuit it seems) to live on her own and support her mom while the old bag was “destitute”. Bev is and always been a shitty parent to both Roseanne and Jackie.

And on a side note, who would have thought that DJ would be the “successful” kid? Doesn’t live with Dan, raising his daughter on his own house , and seems to be self-sufficient (or at least mostly). Doing better than either of his sisters.

• Love 20
1 hour ago, Snow Apple said:

Doesn't Bev have a say in her money? Her life savings could be down the drain and she could lose the building without rent to keep it going. Then where would she be if she ever needs full time care?

That is exactly why the whole "Bev gave Darlene power of attorney" is such a ridiculous story line. Darlene should have told Bev that she was perfectly capable of  making this decision, and that she would have to. But then we would not have had the drama of Darlene being pitted against Jackie and Becky.

I really hope that the writers decide to make the Lunchbox a success, with some hiccups along the way. The constant struggle and everyone and their dog living under Dan's roof is getting boring. 

• Love 8

That fight was hard to watch, probably because we’ve “known” these characters for so long. The tequila line reminded me of “Have another shot of pancake” from the original series.

I was surprised that they made up so quickly afterwards. I have mixed feelings about the Lunch Box. I hope that their ridiculous ideas go away and they just go back to the old formula and hopefully become successful, and if it doesn’t work out, I hope they don’t blame Darlene for giving them the restaurant when she knew they couldn’t handle it, especially since the entire family practically guilted her into giving it to them just to keep the peace. 

• Love 10
1 hour ago, TheLotusFlower said:

I don't think Jackie and Becky should have gotten the restaurant at all.  Darlene was completely right in this situation.  She had an established chain restaurant that was ready to sign a 2 year lease, but Jackie and Becky get it because the "majority" of the family voted for them?  Complete nonsense!  Didn't Darlene say based on their business plan that they wouldn't even be able to afford rent for the first year or two?  If they don't want Darlene to act like she's in charge of everything then maybe they should all stop relying on her so much.  She left Chicago and came back to Lanford to help Dan and Roseanne.  Bev obviously felt that she was the more responsible one since she made her power of attorney.  Becky was an alcoholic until recently, and Jackie has always been a mess.  But now everyone hates Darlene because she has to make adult decisions that don't always make everyone feel all happy and fuzzy.  They'll probably write so the restaurant becomes a success, but any reasonably intelligent person knows that this was a foolish business decision.

1 hour ago, Snow Apple said:

1 hour ago, Keywestclubkid said:

Becky and Jackie dont care about that.,, they only care about what they want in this moment this is why the are in the situations they are in .... they will never make smart decisions ... ones a recovering alcoholic with no life skills and the other hasn't held down a job for longer then 6 months at a time but yea sure they will be a super success in the restaurant business ... eyeroll they might has well just hand the bank back that building cause taxes and bills are gonna become due and just like the bike shop its gonna go under but as long as becky and Jackie got their way it doesn't matter...  I really really really dislike the road they are taking Jackie down 

1 hour ago, Chaos Theory said:

What I really enjoy about the show is that Roseanne might be gone but her ghost is still haunting everyone.   The fight between Jackie and Darlene has been brewing for a long time now and it is actually about a lot more then Bev’s money.   It’s about pain and loss.    I also really liked how Harris reacted when Jackie slapped Darlene.

39 minutes ago, Keywestclubkid said:

Fair enough but to quote dr Phil (ugh shoot me) the best indicator of future behavior is their past relevant behavior and they tried this already and it failed and they are taking nothing they learned from that they are just bull in a china shopping it AGAIn but this time with less help and financial backing.  Becky has never ran anything in her life and is still being super selfish and Jackie is well Jackie and doesn’t have the follow through even when Roseanne was around. Maybe the writers will give them the magical Win that in real life would never happen for these people but the way the writing as been for these people in this reboot and how they like to keep just piling on the bad after the bad after the bad it’s gonna fail and of course Jackie and Becky will blame everyone else but themselves for its failure 

I am sick of seeing this family fail at pretty much everything but have always respected that the show always had real world consequences for bad decisions.

Mary and Mark are kid and have no understanding of what they are giving up financially. It is obvious they just wanted the adults in their lives to just get along.

Why does Jackie hate Bev so much but always feels entitled to her money?  I know Bev was living with Jackie rent free but Bev has been generous with her money over the years.

Also, what happened to the house that Jackie bought with the money that Bev loaned her? If Jackie sold the house, shouldn’t she have a tidy little nest egg from the sale?

• Love 13
1 hour ago, itstheworm said:

That was intense, and very well done by Sara and Laurie. They have always done fights in a very realistic way.  Seeing this one reminded me of the magnificently awesome job John and Roseanne did in their epic coffee table flipping showdown. 

That was the episode I thought of while watching. I loved the escalation of objects they tossed out and then the final "let's go to bed" from Dan. I can't tell if it is the same eagle above the fireplace.

Thought this was one of the better episodes. While not a lot of likable characters at the moment, it was entertaining and well acted. I even didn't hate Harris for once.

• Love 9

The whole thing that Darlene gave in the the family's peer pressure was absolutely unrealistic.  Bev should have been the one who Jackie and Becky went to, not Darlene.

There is anger there at the death of Roseanne but this storyline really sucks.

Harris is a ton full of trouble. She'll end up worse than either Darlene or Becky.

• Love 6
8 minutes ago, qtpye said:

I am sick of seeing this family fail at pretty much everything but have always respected that the show always had real world consequences for bad decisions.

Mary and Mark are kid and have no understanding of what they are giving up financially. It is obvious they just wanted the adults in their lives to just get along.

Why does Jackie hate Bev so much but always feels entitled to her money?  I know Bev was living with Jackie rent free but Bev has been generous with her money over the years.

Also, what happened to the house that Jackie bought with the money that Bev loaned her? If Jackie sold the house, shouldn’t she have a tidy little nest egg from the sale?

I agree with you.  I love Mary and Mark, but their "votes" shouldn't count in decisions like this.  They're kids, and they don't fully understand the consequences.  I was also wondering what the heck happened to Jackie's cute little house.  Does it still exist in the reboot?  Does her son Andy still exist?  My apologies if Andy has already been discussed, but I don't remember anything being said about him at all in the new shows.  I can kind of understand Jackie having a difficult relationship with Bev but still feeling entitled to her money.  It's hard when you have a parent that you don't get along with, and Bev certainly wasn't the best mother to her. But Jackie has been there for Bev in her older years, even if grudgingly.  Also, Bev lied to Jackie about still owning the Lunch Box, so Jackie may feel that she's entitled to the money because she was helping her all these years thinking Bev had nothing, while she was actually collecting rent money that whole time.  I don't know, it's all a mess.  Sadly, family situations really can get this difficult and tense when it comes to money and such.  

• Love 12

This might be an unpopular opinion but for all their stubborness and perhaps delusion, I am largely okay with Becky and Jackie reopening the Lunchbox. For one thing, the old restaurant WAS a big success for many years before finally going under, so it's not like it's a completely bad idea to maybe give it another try, especially given Jackie's previous involvement with it.

And depending on how long Becky has worked at La Casita Bonita, it's possible that she really DOES have a chance at being able to run a successful restaurant. It is a shame the idea of her going back to school for a degree in business management got lost once the revival of Roseanne transitioned into this show, though--that would be go hand in hand with this story. It certainly is worth thinking of for the future, especially if this venture doesn't work out.

I will agree, though, that Darlene's decision to have them go for it was a bit too tidy. Nonetheless, I'm going to stick it out and wait and see what happens. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 11

I can't believe they had the whole family pressure Darlene into throwing away their inheritance.  I mean they've always made bad decisions but this is asinine.  They say it takes 3-5 years for a business/any business to really turn a profit, assuming it stays open that long.  Jackie and Darlene are ready to put in 16+ hour days, every day for the next few years?  Owners/managers have to get in hours before opening and stay hours after closing.  They both should know this.  And they have work outside the service of food too - business management stuff - setting up payroll, getting business accounts, permits, inspections, marketing, insurance for the business, insurance for themselves, etc, etc, etc.  It's not just make some food and take people's money.  I fear the show is going to sweep this all under the rug/ignore it and have them succeed.  Blech.  Darlene should just move back to Chicago.

• Love 14
2 minutes ago, Bastet said:

The fact the original Lunch Box "failed" is not per se a reason not to try another restaurant; the overwhelming majority of independent restaurants don't last for decades, and we don't know how long The Lunch Box lasted beyond the time we saw it.  It didn't close in the first year like a large percentage of restaurants do, though, so it wasn't a failure. 

The Conners have always wrestled with whether or not to take a chance on something or play the slow and steady game, from whether to use a "windfall" of a couple hundred bucks to pay off bills or treat themselves to little things they don't normally splurge on to whether or not to spread a $10,000 gift out over bills to come or pursue something that, if it worked, would give them a level of autonomy and potential they don't often get to experience. 

Life taught them slow and steady didn't actually win any damn race.  A "mom and pop" business was for a long time emblematic of the "American dream" for working-class people, and it's pretty hard to let go of that - especially when you don't feel any other of the dwindling paths into the ever-shrinking middle class are at your fingertips.  The tug of something more is always going to exist in this family, and all that's going to change is who's on what side of the fence each time the issue comes up.  Throw in the emotional tie to the past that is so strongly compounded by Roseanne's absence and it wouldn't make sense if some of them - Jackie, especially - didn't want to do this.  So the stage is logically set.

I love everything about this analysis. Very well put. 

• Love 6
7 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Darlene has a fiduciary duty in having power of attorney over Bev's assets, but they're never going to get into that as a reason she should not have okayed this half-assed business plan (just as how they'll never get into why Darlene's appointment wasn't "in the event of" rather than this illogical scenario).  But, setting the legalities aside, as one must do with TV, I understand and appreciate the emotions they are getting into.

When I read a brief description of Jackie and Darlene's fight, I immediately thought of that brutal showdown between Roseanne and Dan, when he lashed out that the girls were losers and it was because of how she parented them.  And it was indeed just as ugly and just as rooted in exaggerations of painful truths.  This one was witnessed, and the reactions were particularly well done (Jackie's horrified what did I do? response especially, but also Harris's readiness to throw down in defense of the mom for whom she harbors such resentment).

The fact the original Lunch Box "failed" is not per se a reason not to try another restaurant; the overwhelming majority of independent restaurants don't last for decades, and we don't know how long The Lunch Box lasted beyond the time we saw it.  It didn't close in the first year like a large percentage of restaurants do, though, so it wasn't a failure. 

The Conners have always wrestled with whether or not to take a chance on something or play the slow and steady game, from whether to use a "windfall" of a couple hundred bucks to pay off bills or treat themselves to little things like designer perfume they don't normally splurge on to whether or not to spread a $10,000 gift out over bills to come or pursue something that, if it worked, would give them a level of autonomy and potential they don't often get to experience. 

Life taught them slow and steady didn't actually win any damn race.  A "mom and pop" business was for a long time emblematic of the "American dream" for working-class people, and it's pretty hard to let go of that - especially when you don't feel any other of the dwindling paths into the ever-shrinking middle class are at your fingertips.  The tug of something more is always going to exist in this family, and all that's going to change is who's on what side of the fence each time the issue comes up.  Throw in the emotional tie to the past that is so strongly compounded by Roseanne's absence and it wouldn't make sense if some of them - Jackie, especially - didn't want to do this.  So the stage is logically set.

(Mary and Mark should in no way be given a vote, though - WTF?  Once decided, let them have a stab at naming it, like D.J. named the original.)

And Dan shouldn't be haranguing Darlene to "fix all this", but that, too, is consistent.

As with any Conner Thanksgiving, there were some amusing moments in the midst of combat:  Darlene's "invitation" text to Jackie and Becky.  Everyone using the kids to guilt trip everyone else.  The long-delayed turkey, reminding me of the painful "when will it be ready/did you know when swordfish is overcooked it shrinks/let's just have burgers" dinner from hell with Chip's family.  Darlene finding being hugged worse than being hit.  And Jackie and her broom of talent show resentment is Laurie Metcalf at her most Laurie Metcalf.

I like that Roseanne remains very present in Dan and Louise's interaction. 

But, Dan, it's not the first time alcohol has flowed from the house to the garage - remember Super Bowl Sunday with Non-Alcoholic Beverage?

The thing was Chip’s family was really nice. It was Roseanne and Dan who rejected them for being too white collar and dorky. They hated the family but Chip was the exact type of boyfriend they wanted Becky to have.

The Connors are always chasing the dream of financial stability but often think they are too cool to follow more conventional paths. 

Jackie has been flaky all her life and Becky has not made one good decision since Mark’s death.

Dan telling Darlene to “fix it” was just him saying to give in to some stupid demands.

That being said part of me hopes they do succeed.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, qtpye said:

From what I understood before, Jackie did have some money to start the business up. The problem was Bev owned the building and wouldn't let them use it. They were speaking to a realtor before they found that out, so they obviously had something. They may not be keeping the story straight.straight.

I understand why Becky and Jackie want to do this, but it really is a bad decision. No restaurant has been able to stay open in that location, so Jackie shouldn't waste any resources. It doesn't even seem like the inevitable failure will be their fault. Tiny restaurants don't usually fare well. There is this building in my town that has changed hands so many times. The last person to own it won awards for cooking and it still didn't make it. Now it is a Jamaican restaurant. It may be smarter for them to start a catering business or get a food truck first to gain a following before they find a better location.

• Love 10
20 hours ago, femmefan1946 said:

Katie Segal should be in every sitcom.

I wish they would lose the audience though. There are points where the writers are depending on the Applause sign, I think.

I’ve been to a couple of tapings and I can tell you there is no applause sign.  The warm up guy DOES tell the audience to react however (which they tell every sitcom audience to do)- but the audience is made up of eager Roseanne/Conners/just-excited-to-be-there fans, hence the uproarious laughter.  

• Useful 5
  • Love 5
46 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Darlene has a fiduciary duty in having power of attorney over Bev's assets, but they're never going to get into that as a reason she should not have okayed this half-assed business plan (just as how they'll never get into why Darlene's appointment wasn't "in the event of" rather than this illogical scenario).  But, setting the legalities aside, as one must do with TV, I understand and appreciate the emotions they are getting into.

When I read a brief description of Jackie and Darlene's fight, I immediately thought of that brutal showdown between Roseanne and Dan, when he lashed out that the girls were losers and it was because of how she parented them.  And it was indeed just as ugly and just as rooted in exaggerations of painful truths.  This one was witnessed, and the reactions were particularly well done (Jackie's horrified what did I do? response especially, but also Harris's readiness to throw down in defense of the mom for whom she harbors such resentment).

The Conners have always wrestled with whether or not to take a chance on something or play the slow and steady game, from whether to use a "windfall" of a couple hundred bucks to pay off bills or treat themselves to little things like designer perfume they don't normally splurge on to whether to spread a $10,000 gift out over future bills or pursue something that, if it worked, would give them a level of autonomy and potential they don't generally get to experience. 

(Mary and Mark should in no way be given a vote, though - WTF?  Once decided, let them have a stab at naming it, like D.J. named the original.)

And Dan shouldn't be haranguing Darlene to "fix all this", but that, too, is consistent.

As with any Conner Thanksgiving, there were some amusing moments in the midst of combat:  Darlene's "invitation" text to Jackie and Becky.  Everyone using the kids to guilt trip everyone else.  The long-delayed turkey, reminding me of the painful "when will it be ready/did you know when swordfish is overcooked it shrinks/let's just have burgers" dinner from hell with Chip's family.  Darlene finding being hugged worse than being hit.  And Jackie and her broom of talent show resentment is Laurie Metcalf at her most Laurie Metcalf.

I like that Roseanne remains very present in Dan and Louise's interaction. 

But, Dan, it's not the first time alcohol has flowed from the house to the garage - remember Super Bowl Sunday with Non-Alcoholic Beverage?

I just watched this ep and I love this post.  I really don’t have many additional thoughts right now except I enjoyed the ep and it also made me uncomfortable and it also felt real in how messy life can be and also unreal in how tidy sitcoms can be.   

• Love 10

Basically, this story would make more sense if Bev was dead, And had just appointed Darlene as executor of a will that was meant to split assets equally among her children. In that case, it’s 50% to Jackie, 50% to Rosanne (or, since she’s dead, Dan).  Then Darlene being the one to try to stop the asset that’s worth more than Jackie’s share (i.e. letting her open restaurant) to flow from her dad to at risk with Jackie) makes sense.  As does Dans notion that Darlene is robbing Jackie of her inheritance (assuming he’’s willing to invest part of  his share in the business).

Im guessing they just wanted the actress playing Bev back more than they wanted legal nuances played correctly. 

That seems fair!!

Edited by pennben
  • Love 7
7 hours ago, Stacey1014 said:

I  hope they don’t blame Darlene for giving them the restaurant when she knew they couldn’t handle it, especially since the entire family practically guilted her into giving it to them just to keep the peace. 

That’s exactly what’s going to happen they will blame Darlene for it. Why did you give us this knowing nothing has been successful there it’s your fault you should have warned us. Jackie and Becky are both written really badly in this for some god awful reason. I mean at least with Becky she was always somewhat selfish but Jackie was never really like that she was flighty yes but not to the point they have her now. 

Edited by Keywestclubkid
  • Love 3

I kind of wish Becky and Jackie found another way to start the restaurant.  If it is      

a success Darlene will take the credit.  If it isn’t a success Darlene gets to say I told you so.  The character is so smug. 

She didn’t come back home to take care of her parents she came home because she lost her job.  Darlene just acts like she is so much better than her family I really have not liked her much lately.  

Edited by tribeca
  • Love 14

The Lunchbox was a success for a long time and we were never privy to why it went under or if it actually did.    Discounting the final season of Roseanne the restaurant was actually doing fairly well.   We don’t really know the specifics of what happened.  Leon might have moved away with his husband.  Nancy might have joined a cult.    Hell the Lunchbox might have just failed due to the changing eating habits of people even in Landford.  Loose meat might not have appealed to people.

We actually don’t really know.  But point of order.   

it wasn’t a failure.  

• Love 7

The Darlene/Jackie feud, that has been going on for a few episodes, came to a head. After Darlene called her a loser, Jackie slapped her!

Harris, in a rare moment of showing that she cared, said "Don't hit my mother!" and almost charged Jackie (Dan stopped her).

And why is Harris's friends name Odessa? Why name your kid after an organization that helped Nazis flee justice after WWII?

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I haven't had time to read through all the comments, but I'm annoyed and disappointed that Dan sided with Jackie and Becky. Stop enabling people to make stupid decisions on a whim. The kids might not care now, but they might change their minds when they get older and realise how much that inheritance would have helped them. 

The fight between Jackie and Darlene was well done. 

• Love 12
12 hours ago, itstheworm said:

Seeing this one reminded me of the magnificently awesome job John and Roseanne did in their epic coffee table flipping showdown. 

Was that the one where they were calling each other fat?  I believe they were fighting over Dan's overeating after having a heart attack, right?

Jackie and Darlene's fight was brutal....I was wondering when we'd have someone tell Darlene she wasn't the 'mother of the family', I knew that was coming.  Darlene calling Jackie a loser and the bane of Roseanne's existence was like 'Woah!'  As much as I loathe Harris, it was nice to see her protective of her for once.

I'm sure we'll see more of why Jackie doesn't like Louise, I can't believe it is just because of her gun dancing fiasco in school.

Forever the fatso, but I wanted some of Louise's pie....the apple, not the pumpkin one.  I can't wait for Dan and Louise's romance to unfold, they are so sweet together.

• Love 12
6 hours ago, pennben said:

Basically, this story would make more sense if Bev was dead, And had just appointed Darlene as executor of a will that was meant to split assets equally among her children. In that case, it’s 50% to Jackie, 50% to Rosanne (or, since she’s dead, Dan).  Then Darlene being the one to try to stop the asset that’s worth more than Jackie’s share (i.e. letting her open restaurant) to flow from her dad to at risk with Jackie) makes sense.  As does Dans notion that Darlene is robbing Jackie of her inheritance (assuming he’’s willing to invest part of  his share in the business).

Im guessing they just wanted the actress playing Bev back more than they wanted legal nuances played correctly. 

That seems fair!!

Actually, it Bev were deceased, Roseanne’s 50% would be divided between Becky, Darlene, and DJ. They are Bev’s heirs, not Dan. Of course it would depend on how she wrote her will. She could leave everything to Odessa because Bev likes her if she wants. Children are not entitled to anything. It is Bev’s to do with as she wishes and I hate that Jackie and Becky think they are entitled to it while Bev is alive.

2 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:
Edited by chitowngirl
  • Love 9

Was that the one where they were calling each other fat?  I believe they were fighting over Dan's overeating after having a heart attack, right?

No, it was way before that one. It was in Camoga Time. They were fighting over getting rid of their junk and they got so het up, they ended up in the sack afterwards.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, jewel21 said:

I haven't had time to read through all the comments, but I'm annoyed and disappointed that Dan sided with Jackie and Becky. Stop enabling people to make stupid decisions on a whim. The kids might not care now, but they might change their minds when they get older and realise how much that inheritance would have helped them. 

The fight between Jackie and Darlene was well done. 

Dan just always wants a quick fix and does not really do long term consequences very well. I am sure they are going to make the restaurant successful, but Jackie and Becky acting so entitled when neither has done anything in their life to prove that they are responsible or have any follow through with long term plans or goals.

Darlene's life is also a mess but she was correct in this one instance. The chain would have provided stable rent and a steady income. If the chain restaurant where successful they might even buy the place outright, which could be a bit of a financial windfall.

• Love 7

The family has bullied Darlene right back to the original series. She's been the one they have all been leaning on and the dirst time they don't get what they want they attack again. She needs to move far away with her kids and let her scummy family twist.

• Love 4

This is what annoys me about this family. They're all about the quick fix and the here and now. Instead of presenting a business plan, they just say "Hey. Let's sell stew. Gimme my money!"

There's a history of this. For example, Dan's one time prison job. Spending his final check on Disney instead of paying off their bills or saving some. Even the original Lunchbox was a spur of the moment idea because they passed by a restaurant in Iowa. Leon had the idea to open for breakfast to earn more money, but Rosanne shot that down because she was lazy. It's all about instant gratification for this family. This is why Darlene finally thinking of the future doesn't compute.

Poor DJ. He can use the money but gave in just for peace he needs after going to war. Wish Geena was there to give the brats what-for.

• Love 15

I had started a post last episode wondering if Odessa could be in a David 2.0 situation - after all, who would let their kid go to Thanksgiving at someone else's house with parents they didn't know?  (Well, I can think of some situations but in my world, normally teens would be expected to stay with their own families.) And Odessa was willing to hang out at the Conners, so that planted the idea that her family might be even more dysfunctional. 

Do we know what David's current living situation is, post Blue?  I would have expected some throwaway line about whatever he was doing for the holiday. Or maybe I missed it. 

ETA: I actually like Odessa.  I'd rather keep her and have Harris go live with David or go away to school.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, Vixenstud said:

Jackie and Darlene's fight was brutal....I was wondering when we'd have someone tell Darlene she wasn't the 'mother of the family', I knew that was coming.  Darlene calling Jackie a loser and the bane of Roseanne's existence was like 'Woah!'  As much as I loathe Harris, it was nice to see her protective of her for once.

That was an intense fight.  It felt so real.  You could see Jackie's look of horror at realizing what she had done after Darlene went flying from that slap.   

• Love 9