Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E07: Slappy Holidays

Pallas
  • Start Topic

Well that got dark real fast. I can sort of see both sides. On the one hand Darlene has a responsibility to make the best financial decision she can, and truthfully, Becky and Jackie are coming across as a couple of flakes with their "business plan." I mean, stew? Really? On the other hand, I thought Dan made a good point when he told Darlene that from Jackie's perspective she's stolen her inheritance. If she wants to run a business into the ground that's her business, not Darlene's. I get that Bev gave Darlene the power to make that decision for her but that, too, is part of Jackie's beef with the whole situation. I think she's channeling a lot of her anger at Bev towards Darlene, which she admitted after the slap.

Call me delusion, or just as stupid as Becky and Jackie but I do think they can make it with the lunch box.

The problem is that we don't know why the Lunch Box ultimately failed. Given all the retcons this show has done, that really should be part of the discussion here to better inform Darlene's reasoning. Did it fail due to mismanagement? Competition that may or may no longer exist? What? 

• Love 9
59 minutes ago, Snow Apple said:

This is what annoys me about this family. They're all about the quick fix and the here and now. Instead of presenting a business plan, they just say "Hey. Let's sell stew. Gimme my money!"

I agree. This family should be doing better by now, but they continually shoot themselves in the proverbial feet.  This episode annoyed me. I hate that Darlene was forced to cave, even if the café might be an interesting storyline. Bev clearly should have given power of attorney to an unrelated party, but we’d have no tension. Love Laurie Metcalf, but Jackie has become unlovable. Same with Alicia Goranson/Becky.  Not really crazy about Darlene at this point, either.  I hope that if the café opens, that the show is honest about it. The chances for success are very small, especially with two basket cases at the helm. If Martin Mull is free, perhaps Leon will return. At least he would bring management experience. 

• Love 5
15 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

On the other hand, I thought Dan made a good point when he told Darlene that from Jackie's perspective she's stolen her inheritance. If she wants to run a business into the ground that's her business, not Darlene's. I get that Bev gave Darlene the power to make that decision for her but that, too, is part of Jackie's beef with the whole situation.

Absolutely!  I know how I'd feel if my Dad bypassed me and gave my daughter his power of attorney!  Not happy,  At all.    Doing the power of attorney the way she did was almost like cutting Jackie out of her will.  That's pretty drastic considering Bev's been living with Jackie!

Edited by Homily
  • Love 6

I think I need to rewatch this season bc honestly I never saw Darlene acting like she was trying to be the boss or mom of the entire family (and if she was, it was to help not harm)-  obviously she was saying some not nice things in this ep but it just seems like the rest of the family just doesn’t like the fact that she has more of a middle class mindset than working class.  I don’t know.  I’m confused.   I know Darlene was awful as an older teen and was awful with Ben and David but I didn’t see her being awful to either Becky or Jackie.  So yeah.  I’m still confused.   

• Love 8
48 minutes ago, txhorns79 said:

That was an intense fight.  It felt so real.  You could see Jackie's look of horror at realizing what she had done after Darlene went flying from that slap.   

Apparently Aunt Jackie can't handle hearing some hard truths about herself. Nothing Darlene said was untrue. If I were Darlene, I would never forgive her.

• Love 6
1 minute ago, peacheslatour said:

Apparently Aunt Jackie can't handle hearing some hard truths about herself. Nothing Darlene said was untrue. If I were Darlene, I would never forgive her.

The only thing I can think of is she forgave Jackie bc she was drunk?  But that’s just me trying to be ok with it myself.  Jackie was pretty awful the entire episode, to both Darlene and Louise.  

• Love 9
38 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Well that got dark real fast. I can sort of see both sides. On the one hand Darlene has a responsibility to make the best financial decision she can, and truthfully, Becky and Jackie are coming across as a couple of flakes with their "business plan." I mean, stew? Really? On the other hand, I thought Dan made a good point when he told Darlene that from Jackie's perspective she's stolen her inheritance. If she wants to run a business into the ground that's her business, not Darlene's. I get that Bev gave Darlene the power to make that decision for her but that, too, is part of Jackie's beef with the whole situation. I think she's channeling a lot of her anger at Bev towards Darlene, which she admitted after the slap.

Agreed. It felt messy and real.

• Love 4
58 minutes ago, MarthaEllisanne said:

I agree. This family should be doing better by now, but they continually shoot themselves in the proverbial feet.  This episode annoyed me. I hate that Darlene was forced to cave, even if the café might be an interesting storyline. Bev clearly should have given power of attorney to an unrelated party, but we’d have no tension. Love Laurie Metcalf, but Jackie has become unlovable. Same with Alicia Goranson/Becky.  Not really crazy about Darlene at this point, either.  I hope that if the café opens, that the show is honest about it. The chances for success are very small, especially with two basket cases at the helm. If Martin Mull is free, perhaps Leon will return. At least he would bring management experience. 

I was wondering if Louise might play a role in the future. She's the manager at the Casita Bonita, right? Although I would love Martin Mull/Leon to return.

• Love 6

Darlene is not stealing anybody's inheritance because Bev is still alive. Darlene should be protecting Bev's money in case she lives for 30 more years and need care. If anything, she's stealing from Bev right now. 

Bev should just blow all her money on herself and leave nothing to the ingrates. She's nothing but a money machine to them, especially Jackie.

Good thing this isn't real life and the writers can make the restaurant a success, but knowing how the like putting this family through the wringer........

• Love 11
1 minute ago, Snow Apple said:

Darlene is not stealing anybody's inheritance because Bev is still alive. Darlene should be protecting Bev's money in case she lives for 30 more years and need care. If anything, she's stealing from Bev right now. 

IS the building, and potential income from renting it out, the only asset Bev has?  

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, Snow Apple said:

Bev should just blow all her money on herself and leave nothing to the ingrates. She's nothing but a money machine to them, especially Jackie.

Good thing this isn't real life and the writers can make the restaurant a success, but knowing how the like putting this family through the wringer........

THIS.  1000x times this.  Thank you.  With this family, they'll lose the stew restaurant, lose the building, and Bev will have nothing if she gets sick and needs to pay medical bills or go to a nursing home. 

• Love 9
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

Apparently Aunt Jackie can't handle hearing some hard truths about herself.

Most people don't like hearing hard truths about themselves either.

I suspected Darlene was eventually going to cave to Jackie & Becky's badgering, but I'm annoyed that no else in the family saw her side of things. Dan & DJ were more worried about keeping the peace than looking out for the financial well-being of the family. I do hope the Lunch Box 2.0 succeeds because this family needs some wins, and also I don't want future storylines to be dominated by what further failures Jackie & Becky are and how Darlene should never have gambled with the family's financial future. We already saw Dan's bike shop go under and that was depressing to watch, I don't want to see it happen again. Plus, I think the family working together to get the Lunch Box up and running could give them something else to do besides bicker and act downtrodden and hang out in the Conner home.

The fight between Jackie & Darlene was classic Roseanne; brutal but needed, and well acted too. I loved everyone's reaction as it unfolded: Harris coming to her mom's defense, Louise looking uncomfortable and out of place, Becky realizing where it was heading and standing up when the slap happened, and Jackie's immediate remorse for what she did. I thought DJ and Becky consoling a tearful Jackie later as Darlene sat by herself was also in character for them; Jackie always needs that emotional support, whereas Darlene needs to stew alone.

I'm still loving Dan & Louise and their slooooow buildup to a possible relationship. I wonder what the family knows about their relationship. Is Jackie's dislike of Louise really because of high school or because she suspects Louise may replace Roseanne? Do Darlene, Becky, and DJ have any idea that their dad may be interested in a woman again? I hope the show continues for a few more seasons because I really do want a payoff to the Dan/Louise relationship.

• Love 10
2 hours ago, MarthaEllisanne said:

Right, it's like" Yeah, it's been 20 years, but they never learn. Isn't that funny and repeatable?" No it's not. They just go with the spur of the moment. Jackie is in her 60s and still can't think of a regular job or maybe, I don't know enjoying her later years. Becky after everything and the baby now should know better. Darelene finally gets that they need to stop acting this way and guess what. She is to blame by everyone for not giving the money in. I would have loved Bev to be: "Well, everyone always blew the money first and never thought anything. Hell, Dan you quit that great job with the city to make the prison because you friend said it be a bigger payout. Of course I"m giving it to Darelene, she has learned by now." 

• Love 9
2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I mean, Darlene said that Jackie was the bane of Roseanne's existence, which I do not think was true.  The other stuff, about Roseanne picking Jackie up and Jackie then falling, and that Jackie was a loser was debatable, in my view.  Honestly, I thought Jackie got that reaction because what she said to Darlene about neglecting her kids to pursue her relationships with David and Ben was awful, but pretty much on point. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, RunningMarket said:

I was wondering if Louise might play a role in the future. She's the manager at the Casita Bonita, right?

I'm pretty sure she's just the bartender. The Casita Bonita manager is a man because Becky remarked last season she slept with her manager around the same time she slept with the busboy.

1 hour ago, izabella said:

Bev will have nothing if she gets sick and needs to pay medical bills or go to a nursing home. 

Bev's pushing 100, I would hope she has Medicare that would cover most of her medical bills and even pay for a (crappy) nursing home. I really think the rent money she was collecting from the building was intended to be the family's inheritance, which is surprisingly unselfish of her.

And now, of course, there won't be any more rent money to collect because Becky & Jackie will not be paying rent for the first year. Ugh. If I were in DJ's shoes I would have voted no on the restaurant; his and Mary's inheritance is going to take a hit.

Edited by bunnyblue
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, bunnyblue said:

I'm still loving Dan & Louise and their slooooow buildup to a possible relationship. I wonder what the family knows about their relationship. Is Jackie's dislike of Louise really because of high school or because she suspects Louise may replace Roseanne? Do Darlene, Becky, and DJ have any idea that their dad may be interested in a woman again?

When Darlene was repeating Mark's question of where Dan wanted Louise to sit, I thought Sara Gilbert used just the right tone - a little curious and a little teasing.  I think they all know Dan isn't ready to date anyone yet, so they're not threatened by it.  I suspect many of them can't even imagine him ever wanting to date anyone; Dan and Roseanne were a pair since the age of 16 and seeing him without her is weird enough, but picturing him with another is not something that even comes to mind. 

If and when the time comes, though, that he is open to spending time with Louise (or anyone) in a romantic way, some of them will be slow to accept it.

1 minute ago, bunnyblue said:

I really think the rent money she was collecting from the building was intended to be the family's inheritance,

Yes, when the building secret came out, it was stated she wanted there to be a decent little estate to pass onto them when she died.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, Bastet said:

Yes, when the building secret came out, it was stated she wanted there to be a decent little estate to pass onto them when she died.

Which is why I can understand Jackie being hurt at the idea that she was bypassed in favour of Darlene when it came to making decisions.  Unless Bev intended to cut Jackie out of her will she was probably going to leave half to Jackie and half to be shared between Roseanne's kids.  So while Darlene would benefit it's second hand so to speak.  As Bev's daughter Jackie should have had more involvement than Darlene.  It was typical of Bev though to do something to make life more stressful for those involved.

• Love 3

I think Bev chose Darlene because she's the only one who has demonstrated rhe ability to be a functioning adult.

We don't know enough about DJ to know if he can. Becky and Jackie certainly cannot. And Dan never really did either, Roseanne lead him around by the nose.

• Useful 2
  • Love 10
17 minutes ago, bunnyblue said:

Bev's pushing 100, I would hope she has Medicare that would cover most of her medical bills and even pay for a (crappy) nursing home. I really think the rent money she was collecting from the building was intended to be the family's inheritance, which is surprisingly unselfish of her.

Medicare is neither free nor comprehensive, and prescription drugs can cost an arm and a leg.  Since Bev is not dead, it's nobody's inheritance, and Darlene's duty is to Bev FIRST.  And this is not a good move for Bev's finances and ownership of the building, which could be lost since there is no income stream to pay taxes, insurance and maintenance on it anymore, and won't be for a year at least.

I'm sorry, I know I'm a broken record on this, but Darlene is letting the family steal Bev's money while she is alive.

• Useful 1
  • Love 18
30 minutes ago, izabella said:

Medicare is neither free nor comprehensive, and prescription drugs can cost an arm and a leg.  Since Bev is not dead, it's nobody's inheritance, and Darlene's duty is to Bev FIRST.  And this is not a good move for Bev's finances and ownership of the building, which could be lost since there is no income stream to pay taxes, insurance and maintenance on it anymore, and won't be for a year at least.

I'm sorry, I know I'm a broken record on this, but Darlene is letting the family steal Bev's money while she is alive.

I have my dad's DPOA and I have access to all of his money, He is in memory care and it cost's $8,500. per month. Medicare only covers his meds which are non existent. We pay that money out of pocket. Darlene just completely screwed her grandmother over if this stew joint doesn't make one hell of a profit.

• Love 4

I did not enjoy watching this. Jackie and Becky came in bullying for a fight and they won, forcing Darlene to cave in. And they basically boasted their victory over her. I think I hate them now, and this really makes the show painful to watch.

Katy Segal was the only enjoyable thing about this.

• Love 11
On 11/19/2019 at 3:28 AM, femmefan1946 said:

Katie Segal should be in every sitcom.

You mean she's not?  🙂

Glad they worked out the disagreement over the Lunch Box.  No one in the family was going to get rich from inheriting it. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, bunnyblue said:

I'm pretty sure she's just the bartender. The Casita Bonita manager is a man because Becky remarked last season she slept with her manager around the same time she slept with the busboy.

I thought a few episodes ago Louise mentioned she got promoted because she threatened to sue him, or something? 

• Love 2
On 11/20/2019 at 7:57 PM, RunningMarket said:

I thought a few episodes ago Louise mentioned she got promoted because she threatened to sue him, or something? 

She did I’m sure of it so she’s the manager now. 

I loved this episode so happy Louise was back such a great surprise I sure missed her & Dan & Louise still loving them so much! I loved how Dan stood up for Louise with Jackie I couldn't believe how horrible she was to Louise I didn't like that at all, but I really hope they can become friends. I think Louise is definitely family now. I really hope that the show continues because I want more Dan & Louise they are the only reason I’m watching this show. 

Edited by ESS
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Not4Me said:

I did not enjoy watching this. Jackie and Becky came in bullying for a fight and they won, forcing Darlene to cave in. And they basically boasted their victory over her. I think I hate them now, and this really makes the show painful to watch.

Katy Segal was the only enjoyable thing about this.

I enjoyed the ep for what it was, really enjoyed seeing the cousins together, but I honestly feel this way as well.   I see comments elsewhere that Darlene “deserved” the slap but honestly I felt like Jackie instigated the whole thing and Darlene was just reacting.    I don’t understand the digs last week either that she was purposefully trying to hold them back.  It’s almost as if Jackie and Becky are reacting to Roseanne in the later seasons who was truly bossy versus the Darlene that is here right now.   

• Love 9
6 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

I mean, Darlene said that Jackie was the bane of Roseanne's existence, which I do not think was true.  The other stuff, about Roseanne picking Jackie up and Jackie then falling, and that Jackie was a loser was debatable, in my view.  Honestly, I thought Jackie got that reaction because what she said to Darlene about neglecting her kids to pursue her relationships with David and Ben was awful, but pretty much on point. 

Roseanne was the person that couldn’t stay out of Jackie’s life and also refused to share her.  She wanted to be the one with Jackie while she was in labor rather than Fred, for example. 
half of Jackie’s issues were Roseanne’s fault. 
its not as if Darlene has her life on track either. 

• Love 10
3 hours ago, RunningMarket said:

2 hours ago, ESS said:

She did I’m sure of it so she’s the manager now. 

Ah, okay, I must have missed that. So then maybe she can give some pointers to Becky & Jackie once they get the Lunch Box going. Would be a good way to further involve her with the Conners.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
20 minutes ago, bunnyblue said:

Ah, okay, I must have missed that. So then maybe she can give some pointers to Becky & Jackie once they get the Lunch Box going. Would be a good way to further involve her with the Conners.

Yep & I agree with that suggestion too I’d love to see that happen. 

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Glendenning said:

And why is Harris's friends name Odessa? Why name your kid after an organization that helped Nazis flee justice after WWII?

Um, Odessa is the name of a major city in Ukraine... and of a well-known city in Texas (and several other states, for that matter), too, both long predating the acronym for the organization of former Nazi SS. It would surprise me if most ordinary people associated the name with anything other than one or the other of those place names. As a person's name, Odessa is actually from the Greek, the feminine version of Odysseus, and has been in use for literally centuries predating WWII. It's not really that unusual a name, lots of people have it, and it's been used for fictional characters before. I think it's a pretty cool name, personally.

• Useful 4
  • Love 20
On 11/19/2019 at 8:30 PM, Annber03 said:

I feel rather bad for her friend Odessa, sounds like there's a lot more to her backstory there that we've yet to hear. 

Yeah, if her parents have really been gone for 5 years, who is paying her mortgage, property taxes, utility bills, grocery bills, etc?

• Love 8
1 hour ago, NeenerNeener said:

Yeah, if her parents have really been gone for 5 years, who is paying her mortgage, property taxes, utility bills, grocery bills, etc?

Right and still has money for pot? Yeah, big questions here. 

• Love 5

With respect to my fellow posters, IMHO I think the Lunchbox 2 story line will actually be a good one. Think about it. We will have Becky and Jackie working under the same roof, with visits from all the family during the day. When Harris screws up (and you know she will), they will have her working off her "penance" at the Lunchbox. (like when Darlene drew dead cows all over the sidewalk or when Roseanne wanted to be closer to DJ and made him wash the floors). I see the writers taking a page from the original show and giving the cast a central location for them to work/hang out/ react to. Plus there will be visiting guests I'm sure. Maybe the elusive Andy will show up at his mother's restaurant. (Go Team Andy). Or the vaguely "I'm on a fishing boat" Jerry Garcia Conner.  After all, this is a sitcom and not real life - even though Darlene caved to some stupid family pressure, somehow it will be a success, at least for a while. 

• Love 11
48 minutes ago, ItsHelloPattiagain said:

After all, this is a sitcom and not real life - even though Darlene caved to some stupid family pressure, somehow it will be a success, at least for a while. 

I am hoping the powers that be are monitoring online chat on the show and realising that many viewers would like some positives for the Conners.  Not winning the lottery positive but just a few less failures and a few more steps forward and a few less steps back please!

• Love 9
1 hour ago, ItsHelloPattiagain said:

With respect to my fellow posters, IMHO I think the Lunchbox 2 story line will actually be a good one. Think about it. We will have Becky and Jackie working under the same roof, with visits from all the family during the day. When Harris screws up (and you know she will), they will have her working off her "penance" at the Lunchbox. (like when Darlene drew dead cows all over the sidewalk or when Roseanne wanted to be closer to DJ and made him wash the floors). I see the writers taking a page from the original show and giving the cast a central location for them to work/hang out/ react to. Plus there will be visiting guests I'm sure. Maybe the elusive Andy will show up at his mother's restaurant. (Go Team Andy). Or the vaguely "I'm on a fishing boat" Jerry Garcia Conner.  After all, this is a sitcom and not real life - even though Darlene caved to some stupid family pressure, somehow it will be a success, at least for a while. 

You do make an excellent point.  I have to say that I turned the channel on this episode pretty early on.  I can't believe I did it because, I love the show, but, the digs and insults to Darlene because of the lunchbox issue, just made me cringe. I was not into that.   So, maybe, I'll pick it up later when it's on a lighter note. 

Apparently Aunt Jackie can't handle hearing some hard truths about herself. Nothing Darlene said was untrue.

Calling someone a loser is an insult, not a "hard truth." There is nothing constructive to be gained from name-calling. 

Glad they worked out the disagreement over the Lunch Box.  No one in the family was going to get rich from inheriting it. 

Yeah, if no business can make a go of it in that building how much can it be worth anyway, especially split between Jackie and all of Bev's grandchildren and great-grandchildren? That's never going to be life-changing money. And seeing as it is currently unoccupied that means they're not actually collecting any rent currently while still paying property taxes on it. Yeah, the chicken franchise was going to sign a 2-year lease but if they can't succeed in that location either they can probably get out of paying the full 2 years. They certainly have deeper pockets than Darlene and Bev.

• Love 6
8 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Yeah, the chicken franchise was going to sign a 2-year lease but if they can't succeed in that location either they can probably get out of paying the full 2 years.

I've lost count of how many restaurants have come and gone in the strip malls near me over the years.  And almost invariably there is a little notice taped on the door indicating they skipped out on the rent, probably many months worth of rent.  Maybe it would be different with a franchise but I wouldn't bet the inheritance on that!

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Yeah, if no business can make a go of it in that building how much can it be worth anyway,

I think it's just restaurants that haven't lasted there.  As far as we know, no other business has tried.  And regardless, commercial real estate sells for beaucoup bucks.  It could be life changing, or at least enough to pay off some loans, or pay for online tuition to a business school, or cover some medical bills, etc.  I was surprised how much the smallest commercial building cost in one of my local areas. It was about the size of a house, and not some huge warehouse.  It was in the millions of dollars.  Commercial real estate can mean big bucks.  Maybe in Lanford it would be less, but even hundreds of thousands of dollars is a lot.

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, aquarian1 said:

Commercial real estate can mean big bucks.  Maybe in Lanford it would be less, but even hundreds of thousands of dollars is a lot.

If that's the case then them opening a restaurant that may or may not go under won't really affect their future inheritance or, for that matter Bev's theoretical financial needs.  The building isn't going to lose value and can always be sold if needed.   

Edited by Homily
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
25 minutes ago, aquarian1 said:

I think it's just restaurants that haven't lasted there.  As far as we know, no other business has tried.  And regardless, commercial real estate sells for beaucoup bucks.  It could be life changing, or at least enough to pay off some loans, or pay for online tuition to a business school, or cover some medical bills, etc.  I was surprised how much the smallest commercial building cost in one of my local areas. It was about the size of a house, and not some huge warehouse.  It was in the millions of dollars.  Commercial real estate can mean big bucks.  Maybe in Lanford it would be less, but even hundreds of thousands of dollars is a lot.

Darlene said that 3 restaurants and a psychic had gone under there. And we know that the Chinese place was up and running after Roseanne died.

Darlene tried to do the respinsible thing. Dan, Jackie and Becky forced the selfish, thoughtless choice.

• Love 3

I enjoy stories set in the workplace. I just wish they didn't go about it the way they did. It was just bullying.

I would enjoy it more if they went about it logically with a clear business plan. If they want a fantasy sitcom restaurant, fine. I like fantasy. But they are ones who went with realistic and gritty. And now their audience is reacting.

• Love 6

I'm fine with this storyline, but I'd have liked it if it turned out Becky's plan was pretty damn good for someone with no business education or training.  It would have been nice if she, who was always so book smart, had done some online research and put together a plan that needed some adjustment to the details and some big holes filled in because she doesn't know everything that needs to be considered (and Jackie's prior experience could be helpful there), but something she'd approached like she used to handle writing a report, and that surprised everyone (including her), but also reminded everyone (including her) of the potential Original Recipe Becky had.  When she whipped out that binder (rather than a series of cocktail napkins or something) last episode, I thought they might go there, but figured they'd play it for laughs instead - the show is broader and more sitcom-y this time around.

But they could have incorporated something like that into this episode, showing that after Darlene said no, Becky did some research and fleshed out her plan to address some of the risks and concerns.  Becky could acknowledge to Darlene that she hasn't accomplished much of anything in so long that's become the norm in everyone's eyes, but remind her she used to, because she used to care about herself and her future.  And say now that she's straightened her life out some and has a child to provide for, she cares again.  That would add some weight to the others (because Jackie needs nothing extra) rallying behind taking this chance and give Darlene an emotional tug towards it rather than just an emotional battering by everyone around her.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 20
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

I'm fine with this storyline, but I'd have liked it if it turned out Becky's plan was pretty damn good for someone with no business education or training.  It would have been nice if she, who was always so book smart, had done some online research and put together a plan that needed some adjustment to the details and some big holes filled in because she doesn't know everything that needs to be considered (and Jackie's prior experience could be helpful there), but something she'd approached like she used to handle writing a report, and that surprised everyone (including her), but also reminded everyone (including her) of the potential Original Recipe Becky had.  When she whipped out that binder (rather than a series of cocktail napkins or something) last episode, I thought they might go there, but figured they'd play it for laughs instead - the show is broader and more sitcom-y this time around.

But they could have incorporated something like that into this episode, showing that after Darlene said no, Becky did some research and fleshed out her plan to address some of the risks and concerns.  Becky could acknowledge to Darlene that she hasn't accomplished much of anything in so long that's become the norm in everyone's eyes, but remind her she used to, because she used to care about herself and her future.  And say now that she's straightened her life out some and has a child to provide for, she cares again.  That would add some weight to the others (because Jackie needs nothing extra) rallying behind taking this chance and give Darlene an emotional tug towards it rather than just an emotional battering by everyone around her.

Preach! Unfortunately as you mentioned, it was written broadly, and by all accounts, terribly. There’s zero depth to any of this. I would have actually enjoyed seeing that kind of gradual development from Becky, but it seems the approach is to write the old characters we enjoyed as now caricatures of their former Roseanne selves to a laugh track. I just don’t think I can watch another episode of this level of dysfunctional behavior if this is how the writers continue.

Edited by Not4Me
  • Love 2
On 11/20/2019 at 4:20 PM, txhorns79 said:

22 hours ago, mythoughtis said:

Roseanne was the person that couldn’t stay out of Jackie’s life and also refused to share her.  She wanted to be the one with Jackie while she was in labor rather than Fred, for example. 
half of Jackie’s issues were Roseanne’s fault. 
its not as if Darlene has her life on track either. 

Both Roseanne and Jackie had a very codependent relationship that hurt and helped both of them. Jackie really should have moved away from Langford. Roseanne never had much in the way of ambition and Jackie did not have much in the way of follow through.

4 hours ago, Bastet said:

I’m beginning to think that Becky was never as smart as I thought she was. When she was younger her good grades were probably the result of her being one of the few students who would try hard in a very below average school district. I know Mark’s death messed her up but she has shown little in the way of intellectual curiosity or any desire to better herself. She seems to have wanted nothing more than a party lifestyle and now her unplanned pregnancy is making her grasp at straws without any real preparation for long term success.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, RocknRollZombie said:

Now I have to to stop you there. If I remember correctly Becky did want to go back to school/college back in S8 of the original series. But that storyline was dropped because of the dang Disney episodes, and chalke back in place of lecy.

Also if I remember I think it was S10 of Roseanne, Becky spoke of wanting to take some business management classes. But since the transition of it being Roseanne to the conners that storyline/idea was probably dropped as well.

I get what you are saying but the dropping of the storyline made it seem like she was not serious. 

In real life, I have seen women in much worse situations than Becky go back to school and become successful because they had both the determination and the smarts.

If I did not know their backstory, I would think Darlene was the more intellectual one. Of coarse, Darlene’s life is also a mess and sleeping, than cheating on her boss did not help things.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, NeenerNeener said:

Maybe Odessa is really a Russian/Ukraine spy hiding out in lil ole Lanford. 

12 hours ago, ItsHelloPattiagain said:

I really hope this is the case!

• Love 1

I was enjoying this episode at first because it had me laughing, which isn't always the case.  Then boom!  The brutal argument and the The Slap.

Did anyone catch Odessa's parting words, "Peace out, bitches."?  That was kind of rough too.

Harris finally actually had a good point about wanting to leave the house due to the adults' behavior.

The best part was Dan and Louise together in each scene.  They are really nice for each other and I love how Katy plays  her role.

Meanwhile, Dan needs a new toaster and a new oven!

• Love 4
1 hour ago, CrystalBlue said:

The best part was Dan and Louise together in each scene.  They are really nice for each other and I love how Katy plays  her role.

Definitely the best parts of this episode! 

• Love 7