Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E07: Slappy Holidays

Pallas
  • Start Topic

Maybe in Lanford it would be less, but even hundreds of thousands of dollars is a lot.

Again there are too many missing pieces of this puzzle, like whether the location of this building is the primary reason businesses aren't succeeding there. If there have been a string of unsuccessful businesses run out of that location it's going to make it hard to sell to anyone, and if the location stinks nobody might even want it just for the land. I'm still waiting for someone to say "Well, the Lunchbox failed because XYZ, whereas we will succeed because of ZYX." The show just isn't explaining this very well.

Whatever the property is worth, it might not sell for that, or at all, and ultimately won't add up to a lot split among Jackie, Darlene, Becky, DJ, Mark, Harris, Beverly Rose, and Mary. Oh, and I assume, Jerry Garcia if he's still out there somewhere, and any children he might have. And don't even get me started on Andy. 😠 

• Love 5
On 11/21/2019 at 6:28 PM, bobalina said:

The other thing that irks is the total disregard of Bev's wishes for her own property.

The whole thing is a little confusing to me.  My grandmother gave my mother Power of Attorney when she began declining in health, but the POA specified that my mother being able to exercise the POA was contingent on my grandmother being unable to make her own decisions.  It wasn't just that my mother had POA and suddenly could go to town with my grandmother's assets.  I mean, I suppose you could do a POA without any contingencies, but given Bev appears to still be competent, it's very strange that Darlene is making these kind of decisions without her input.  

Maybe the episode would have been better all around if Jackie and Becky's idea seemed better developed.  I mean, a diner selling comfort food could be successful, but the focus on stew just seems odd to me. 

• Love 8
3 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

The whole thing is a little confusing to me.  My grandmother gave my mother Power of Attorney when she began declining in health, but the POA specified that my mother being able to exercise the POA was contingent on my grandmother being unable to make her own decisions.  It wasn't just that my mother had POA and suddenly could go to town with my grandmother's assets.  I mean, I suppose you could do a POA without any contingencies, but given Bev appears to still be competent, it's very strange that Darlene is making these kind of decisions without her input. 

What you can do with POA is contingent upon a number of factors, including state laws and the wording/type of POA document. You can limit what areas a POA covers, have multiple POAs that are required to act jointly and sometimes specify particular circumstances when the POA can act on your behalf. IANAL but I do work in banking dealing with this on a regular basis. And I have seen just this type of situation the show depicts. In fact just this past week I was nodding sympathetically while a customer was complaining that his father was perfectly mentally competent, but didn't want to deal with paying his bills anymore even though he was happy to spend his money himself and let him do all the work and deal with all the grief. I can totally see Bev as the type to do this sort of thing - sign and then make Darlene do everything and only occasionally complain or blame her. It's totally consistent with her character and isn't impossible at all. And I can totally see Darlene going along with it given that she seems to have inherited some of her mom's controlling tendencies and tell everyone (and herself) that she has no choice.

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
On 11/24/2019 at 2:28 PM, txhorns79 said:

Maybe the episode would have been better all around if Jackie and Becky's idea seemed better developed.  I mean, a diner selling comfort food could be successful, but the focus on stew just seems odd to me. 

If Bev can still think of awesome burns like "Get poor quick", scams she can still make her own decisions.

On 11/24/2019 at 5:48 PM, wknt3 said:

What you can do with POA is contingent upon a number of factors, including state laws and the wording/type of POA document. You can limit what areas a POA covers, have multiple POAs that are required to act jointly and sometimes specify particular circumstances when the POA can act on your behalf. IANAL but I do work in banking dealing with this on a regular basis. And I have seen just this type of situation the show depicts. In fact just this past week I was nodding sympathetically while a customer was complaining that his father was perfectly mentally competent, but didn't want to deal with paying his bills anymore even though he was happy to spend his money himself and let him do all the work and deal with all the grief. I can totally see Bev as the type to do this sort of thing - sign and then make Darlene do everything and only occasionally complain or blame her. It's totally consistent with her character and isn't impossible at all. And I can totally see Darlene going along with it given that she seems to have inherited some of her mom's controlling tendencies and tell everyone (and herself) that she has no choice.

I think your post has hit the nail on the head of Jackie's anger. Jackie was supporting her mother (who she hates) and she should be the one doing the POA, now that Roseanne's gone.

Instead it goes to her sister's youngest daughter, whose life is a mess. 

Is anyone surprised that Bev did not make Becky the POA, since Becky was always her favorite? Becky was at least living on her own and supporting herself when the show started.

However, Bev has the right to give POA to anyone she wants and Jackie is not entitled to a restaurant.

Edited by qtpye
  • Love 5
28 minutes ago, qtpye said:

If Bev can still think of awesome burns like "Get poor quick", scams she can still make her own decisions.

I think your post has hit the nail on the head of Jackie's anger. Jackie was supporting her mother (who she hates) and she should be the one doing the POA, now that Roseanne's gone.

Instead it goes to her sister's youngest daughter, whose life is a mess. 

Is anyone surprised that Bev did not make Becky the POA, since Becky was always her favorite? Becky was at least living on her own and supporting herself when the show started.

However, Bev has the right to give POA to anyone she wants and Jackie is not entitled to a restaurant.

Given that Jackie hates her mom she's the last person who should have the DPOA. She cannot be trusted to look out for Bev's best interest.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, bobalina said:

Given that Jackie hates her mom she's the last person who should have the DPOA. She cannot be trusted to look out for Bev's best interest.

Heck, at this point I do not know if Jackie can be trusted to look out for Jackie's best interests. Maybe she is the one who need a DPOA.

Edited by qtpye
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4