Type keyword(s) to search

Season 36 Final Jeopardy Contest

saber5055
  • Start Topic

3 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

My friends tease me about my collection.

I think it sounds awesome and now I want to see a picture. I'd love to steal someone's g. gnome and take it on a vacation and send photos. Such a fun prank.

Now watch, one of Her Majesty's gnomes will disappear and I will be blamed.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I think it sounds awesome and now I want to see a picture. I'd love to steal someone's g. gnome and take it on a vacation and send photos. Such a fun prank.

Now watch, one of Her Majesty's gnomes will disappear and I will be blamed.

I took my RBG Action Figure on my Road Trip. It was great fun!  Strangers in restaurants would come & talk to me about her as she judged my meal choices.

• LOL 5
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Were you able to write a dissenting opinion?

There was no need to. Her judgments of my food were mostly spot-on. Here she is throwing her hands up in dismay as I chow down on truck-stop hot dogs.

2019.09.04.01 Hot Dog Lunch.jpg

Edited by Prevailing Wind
  • LOL 6
  • Love 3
14 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Here she is throwing her hands up in dismay as I chow down on truck-stop hot dogs.

That is the most hilarious thing I have seen in a long time. Thanks much for posting that photo. Give us more, if you have them. Saber could use some laughs.

p.s. Your truck-stop dogs look delicious, but I can see RBG disagreeing.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

@Prevailing Wind, I gave myself a vacation for a few hours so spent my lunchtime reading your trip report, and I enjoyed every word and every photo, and was only disappointed the few times you did not have a photo to illustrate your words. I LOL'd at several of the RGB photos, like her on the bell and on the foot of the puffin to name only two. She was an excellent travel companion and it was nice she approved of all of your meals, but hot dogs two days in a row seemed to press even her good nature. Your neon-red 'dogs would have benefited from some of the day-glo green relish popular on Chicago dogs. Very Christmassy.

Big Guy needs to be a future avatar. Just sayin'.

Meanwhile, thanks for the vicarious trip. I always planned a honeymoon camping in Maine in October. I'm still waiting.

• Love 1

WEEK 12 — Nov. 28 — THREE asterisk *
56. Business 2019. The New York Stock Exchange allowed jeans on the trading floor for the initial public offering of the stock with this 4-letter symbol.
* 57. Political Phrases. Speechwriter Samuel Rosenman said FDR “attached no importance to” this phrase, “two monosyllables” in a 1932 speech.  *
* 58. Movie Quotes. The 2 single-word quotes on AFI’s list of the top 100 movie quotes; 1 is from 1941, the other from 1967.  *
59. Word Origins. From a Sanskrit word for “descent”, it’s the form a god takes on descending to Earth.
* 60. Classic British Novels. The title character of this novel says of his home, “The wind breathes cold through the broken battlements and casements.”  *

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, Sharpie66 said:

I still don’t get how “deal” is considered a monosyllable (it’s dee-uhl, thus two syllables).

I wondered if that would come up, so had this ready. It's from Andy, who runs TJF.com:

"I have a feeling that I’m going to get commenters in here disputing the word “monosyllabic” in the clue. Here are a couple of things: 1) Merriam-Webster gives the pronunciation as “dēl”, which as you can see by the lack of syllable breaks, makes it a monosyllabic word; 2) the clue is a direct quote from speechwriter Samuel Rosenman, and the clue was transcribed correctly from the quote."

One poster made this comment on Andy's site: "And finally, I have to agree with Andy that “deal” is a monosyllabic word. Nobody says “DE-AL”. Well, maybe in the deepest south where “do” has 5 syllables……just kidding, no offense to the south. In Boston they pronounce the city as “Baastn”, not to mention the varieties you hear where N.O. is concerned."

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, Driad said:

Did Alex use a Transylvanian accent on Friday?

I get the FJ clue in the morning on TheJeopardyFan.com. There was a discussion there as to whether Trebek would use one of his accents to read the clue. He did that last season on a FJ I did not get by reading, but would have gotten easily if read with the give-away accent, as all three players did. So I'm glad he refrained.

Is anyone else seeing all post text centered instead of flush left?

• Love 1
58 minutes ago, Trey said:

It was centered but it's back to normal now.

Thanks. It's FL now for me as well. This site is so whack lately. Some days the ads on the right are gone and text extends so far to the right, I have to scroll to read a sentence, and I'm on a 20-inch monitor. The rest of the time, I open a thread to continue reading where I left off, and the page starts auto-scrolling up until I stop it and manually scroll back down again. Just more of life's little inconveniences.

• Love 1

3/5 one *

For me, deal is definitely one syllable. But now that it's been mentioned, I can kind of recall hearing it as 2. (East coast, Canada)

Edited by Fex
  • Love 2