Type keyword(s) to search

Shows That: Died Before Their Time, Never Got A Fair Shot, Or Were Ahead Of Their Time

• Start Topic

Who watches syndicated shows anymore though? There's always something new to watch. I have yet to rewatch an episode of anything since like Farscape. 

I watch Seinfeld (on TBS) and NCIS (on USA) reruns all the time.  But I haven't watched a new show since, probably, the first season of 'Downton Abbey.'

For me it's Golden Girls, Frasier, Everybody Loves Raymond, Law & Order, NCIS - they are great back-ground noise type TV or good when there's nothing else on.  Yes, I have On-Demand, Amazon Prime, Netflix, etc, but sometimes that takes too much thought to decide what to watch - when the choices are endless, so it's nice to turn on the TV and watch something familiar.  Plus, that's how I got into NCIS in the first place, I didn't used to watch it at all until it hit syndication.  

• Love 3

Plus, that's how I got into NCIS in the first place, I didn't used to watch it at all until it hit syndication.  

Same here.  An ex-boyfriend turned on an NCIS rerun one day as background noise and I was immediately hooked.

• Love 1

I don't turn on the tv as background because I'll listen to the news on the radio if I'm going to do that, or I watch PBS news on my phone if I'm in the kitchen. I'd really like to know the actual syndication numbers between now and like 10 years ago. There's always something new and it's a lot easier to watch new content on the go. 

Shouldn't TPTB be trying to make all their episode evenly good?

Yes, of course, but there is always a learning curve, as your characters "speak" to you and you start to flesh them out and see how they (and the actors) relate to one another.

Some channels still have rerun-heavy lineups, like TBS and its 24/7 Big Bang Theory schedule.

ION almost exclusively shows syndicated programming; Flashpoint, L & O:  CI, Criminal Minds, etc. They also show movies occasionally, but other than that they air episodes of shows that have already been seen, some eps more than once.

• Love 1

Who watches syndicated shows anymore though? There's always something new to watch. I have yet to rewatch an episode of anything since like Farscape.

I almost exclusively watch shows that have already ended, either through syndication, DVDs, or Netflix.
  • Love 1

I watch very few new shows these days, but if Law & Order, Original Recipe is on, I'll leave that on in the background all day and night.

Here's a listing of the latest cable ratings available, from December 30. After sports, the top three shows are Big Bang Theory reruns all over 3 million viewers, then Family Guy over two million and L&O:SVU repeats hovering around 1.5 million. Daily, added up over time I guess it's a lot of money, and you even get the weekend syndication deals that must be profitable, even if they aren't making TBBT money. A few years back, I remember the person who did the cable ratings write-ups there would delight in pointing out how many original cable shows (buzzed about reality shows and acclaimed shows like Damages) that got fewer viewers than a random That's So Raven rerun at midnight.

Loved Kyle XY and hated that it was a casualty of ABC Family going in a teen girl soap opera direction with its dramas (nothing against teen girl soap operas in general). The parents were very down to earth, the kids were flawed but without being troubled teen clichés and it was interesting seeing Kyle navigate a new world while gradually unraveling the conspiracy behind his existence. It could have gone for another season or two, easily.

Edited by Dejana

Execs don't want serialized shows. If you're making a show more like a novel, it won't work on the broadcast networks. Boardwalk Empire was sllloooooow. The cable networks are embracing the serialized concept because the season order is shorter and they are more with how people watch tv. The broadcast networks want time for ads. 

If you look at what shows are getting greenlit every season on broadcast television, they're mostly serialized. A show doesn't have to be as novel-like as Boardwalk Empire to be considered "seralized."  It's about having a storyline that constantly progresses from episode-to-episode.  Scandal, Grey's, Revenge, How To Get Away With Murder, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D, Gotham,  Jane The Virgin...and more are all considered serialized shows.  Even procedurals have started to have an element of serialization about them--usually in the form of some "big bad" that the hero/heroine is chasing and is brought out for sweeps and season finales. 

I watch very few new shows these days, but if Law & Order, Original Recipe is on, I'll leave that on in the background all day and night.

Ditto!

• Love 1

Back to Fox again with Space: Above and Beyond.  Bad starting timeslot after Sunday football, some other schedule shuffling, and back to Fox again.

Based on some raving in this thread about this show, I started watching it recently--wow, is it something unexpected. It's like every episode is its own little teleplay on war. I was kinda expecting a slightly campy space adventure with lots of shooting and science, but that's not all what the show was. I don't think I'll ever see Battlestar Galactica the same now in comparison.  I'm really not surprised it didn't find much of an audience; its really high concept--especially for the mid-90s. I'm really torn as to whether the show could've maintained its pace and quality over the long term, but taken as a one-off series of episodes, it's pretty remarkable.

• Love 4

Odyssey 5 was awesome. Wrong network though. Shotime dumped their scifi genre shows and moved to dark sitcoms at the time.

In the same vein, Charlie Jade was fucking awesome and ended on so much wtfery.

This is from a while back. But I'm in total agreement!

Also agree with those that have said that Jake 2.0; Journeyman and Eli Stone also didn't get enough time to live up to their full potentials.

The one show's cancellation that probably left the largest mark on my young psyche at the time was Sport's Night. I adored Dan, Casey and the rest of the gang. And still can't believe it was cancelled after only two seasons!

• Love 3

The one show's cancellation that probably left the largest mark on my young psyche at the time was Sport's Night. I adored Dan, Casey and the rest of the gang. And still can't believe it was cancelled after only two seasons!

Truer words were never spoken (written?)...of course as someone (maybe on TWOP) once said, there isn't enough cocaine in the world for Sorkin to have done Sports Night and The West Wing at the same time.

• Love 3

There was a show, I think it was on FX, and I can't think of its name.  All I know is that it was about people who were part of support group for people with eating disorders.  I remember there was a cop who was part of the group, who stopped a guy for a traffic violation and he took the guy's Chinese food.  Then there was a scene where one of the dieters got an enema and I guess something went wrong and he was crawling around on the floor in the doctor's office with water shooting out of his ass, spraying people.  I will never forget that scene.  I had tears in my eyes from laughing so hard.  Anyway, I thought the show was hilarious and I never understood why they canceled it.  I wish I could remember the name.

ETA:  The show was called "Starved" and it was cancelled after a few months.  The network had to choose either it or "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" to cancel, and "Starved" lost out.  I like "Sunny" as well, but it's too bad they couldn't keep both shows.

Edited by Ohwell

Back before the WB became the CW a show called Related (2005-2006) aired for one season 18 episodes. And I actually consider it my white whale because the show was just good even for a then WB show and every now and again I Google to see if it will ever be on dvd or streaming but to this day no luck. It starred Lizzy Caplan, Jennifer Esposito, and two others and they played sisters in New York. That premise may sound familiar because it was created by one of the writers from Sex and the City. That may cause you to look away from this show but I tell you the only thing Related and Sex and the City have in common are 4 women living in New York other than that completely different. Related was a funny, sweet, family drama/comedy that sadly was a casualty during the WB to CW transition. I will forever look out for this show in hope that one day the vault will open so I can see this show again.

OMG, I forgot about this show! I thought it was enjoyable enough at the time. I'll have to look it up again.

The show was called "Starved" and it was cancelled after a few months.  The network had to choose either it or "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" to cancel, and "Starved" lost out.  I like "Sunny" as well, but it's too bad they couldn't keep both shows.

It's funny to look back and think of the shows that are now considered huge hits that almost ended up on this thread. I remember rooting for FX to renew "Always Sunny" (not over "Starved", just for them to let a promising comedy get a second season) and similarly worrying if AMC would order a second season of "Breaking Bad" (which had its first season shorted by the writers' strike).

• Love 1

I am going mention Higher Ground which was on in 2000 to I think 2001.    I think this was on the Fox family channel .  It was just ahead of its time back then   I actually think it would fit nicely now on ABC Famly.  I mean a bunch of teens from different walks of life two steps away from being the states problem are sent to a last chance camp high in the mountains of the Northwestern United States.  I mean really does that not scream "A new kind of family."   Plus it was really good.  

• Love 5

I am going mention Higher Ground which was on in 2000 to I think 2001.    I think this was on the Fox family channel .  It was just ahead of its time back then   I actually think it would fit nicely now on ABC Famly.  I mean a bunch of teens from different walks of life two steps away from being the states problem are sent to a last chance camp high in the mountains of the Northwestern United States.  I mean really does that not scream "A new kind of family."   Plus it was really good.  

I remember that because it was the show that Hayden Christensen was on when he got cast as Anakin Skywalker and as a baby SW fan I watched it to see him. I liked it a lot actually and looking at the cast list its stuffed with TV stars and HITGs.

The American remake of Touching Evil with Jeffrey Donovan. I don't know why I remember this show just now, but it was atmospheric, very creepy, and had Vera Farmiga.

I guess I can forgive the cancellation because then they cast Jeffrey Donovan in the excellent Burn Notice but yeah, this should have lasted a lot longer.

Btw, is there a search function for threads? I didn't want to wade through the whole thread to see if this was mentioned already.

• Love 2

Btw, is there a search function for threads? I didn't want to wade through the whole thread to see if this was mentioned already.

supposebly, there's a little magnifying glass at the top right corner of the page, and if you click on it and use 'Advanced Search', you can type specific words in the space there and then click on the section of the forums you want to search and then 'posts'.

Edited by Cobalt Stargazer
  • Love 1
The American remake of Touching Evil with Jeffrey Donovan. I don't know why I remember this show just now, but it was atmospheric, very creepy, and had Vera Farmiga.

Also starring Bradley Cooper. This should be filed in what my friend terms "better than it had any right to be." JD and VF played off each other well. (That's my litmus test; do the leads have timing? If they're sitting in the car talking, am I losing interest?)

The problem with the show is that the plots were so, so weird. Like, where is this going now?

Though I would say the type of character JD played on Burn Notice was clearly more in his wheelhouse. 

Fun fact: In one of the TE episodes, JD's character was supposed to be suffering from insomnia, so JD actually forced himself to stay up for like 30 hours. He later said it was hard to shoot and unfair to the cast and crew, but the episode was really good. 

This was back when USA network was legit experimental, right when The 4400 came out too. 

I really wish USA Touching Evil would come out on dvd. It's the only series where I actually like the US version better than the UK one. (I love Robson Green, but the UK version was soooo bleak. JD/ VF had excellent chemistry and kept the US version a little lighter.)

I just discovered Enlisted, a short-lived comedy from a year or so ago. I'm not sure I can argue that it's an objectively great show, but I actually love it---it's goofy and silly, but also at times surprisingly sharp, well written, engaging and genuinely sweet. I would have loved to see more of it. 

• Love 3

I will always and forever miss Pushing Daisies. I loved everything about it; the hyper-realism, the alliteration, the narration, the sweetness cut with some lovely snark, the concept, Lee Pace, the pies... Joan of Arcadia would come a fairly close second (was the lyme disease vs God vs the Devil cliffhanger resolved?) followed by Eli Stone and after a bit of a gap, Dead Like Me, because I think they were able to wrap up the story more satisfyingly than the others. 

Having said that... I do have to sort of admit that I felt both PD and JoA slipped in their second season. Joan got way too into relationship drama and missed the more philosophical questions that seemed to come up in the first season about faith and ethics and being (or becoming) a certain kind of person. With PD, it wasn't so much that the show changed, but I felt it lost some spark or momentum post-writers strike (Although the fact that I watched the first season with my very attractive roommate - he got me into Heroes, I got him into PD - and watched the second on my own may have had an impact too). I also wonder at what point shows find out that they are in danger and how much that contributes to ill-conceived changes or a loss of energy.

I  always see Invasion on "Cancelled before their time" lists and I have to admit that I was part of the audience they lost/never found. I watched a number of episodes, but they never seemed to move forward from the "people are acting weird and they are likely being controlled or replaced by aliens" (who are clearly up to nothing good if they're running around controlling people) situation that was, iirc, set up in the pilot. I would also say that it was before its time, though, because I would probably enjoy the creepy factor a lot more if I could binge watch it over a couple of days instead of waiting a whole week for nothing much to happen. 

I saw someone up-thread mention Emily Owens MD, and although it isn't on my "ouch!" list, I do wish it had lasted a little longer. Unfortunately, I think its issue was more being behind its time as opposed to ahead of it. In an era where "gritty" post-apocalyptic, near-apocalyptic and very arc-y is pretty much all you can find in drama, this cute little patient-of-the-week show probably didn't have a great chance, which is too bad because those are exactly the reasons I enjoyed it. 

• Love 1

I saw someone up-thread mention Emily Owens MD, and although it isn't on my "ouch!" list, I do wish it had lasted a little longer. Unfortunately, I think its issue was more being behind its time as opposed to ahead of it. In an era where "gritty" post-apocalyptic, near-apocalyptic and very arc-y is pretty much all you can find in drama, this cute little patient-of-the-week show probably didn't have a great chance, which is too bad because those are exactly the reasons I enjoyed it. 

I ended up liking this in the end, but everything about this screamed Lifetime to me down to the production values.  Too old had the feeling of being shot on a shoe-string.  It just didn't fit on the network it was on. 

Jane the Virgin had the same feel like it didn't fit with its network.  Although its production values feel expensive (I hate that I sound like a Project Runway judge).  Its good that Jane became a critical darling and won the Globe for best actress or it wouldn't have made it.

Back before the WB became the CW a show called Related (2005-2006) aired for one season 18 episodes. And I actually consider it my white whale because the show was just good even for a then WB show and every now and again I Google to see if it will ever be on dvd or streaming but to this day no luck. It starred Lizzy Caplan, Jennifer Esposito, and two others and they played sisters in New York. That premise may sound familiar because it was created by one of the writers from Sex and the City. That may cause you to look away from this show but I tell you the only thing Related and Sex and the City have in common are 4 women living in New York other than that completely different. Related was a funny, sweet, family drama/comedy that sadly was a casualty during the WB to CW transition. I will forever look out for this show in hope that one day the vault will open so I can see this show again.

Damn. I loved this show when it was on the air.

Might have to rewatch it.

I love that I'm not the only person who still misses Jake 2.0...and who even knows there WAS a Jake 2.0 :) It made me such a Christopher Gorham fan that I was shamelessly glued to Harper's Island. Every so often I still search Amazon in hopes that TPTB have come out with a DVD of the show for all 12 of us who watched it :) 

You guys have inspired me to check out Higher Ground and Related!

• Love 2

In the 'Never Got a Fair Shot' category: Chaos. CBS decided to premiere this in April (April?!) with not nearly enough promotion. It was a fun, action-comedy with a great cast that I think could have been a hit, if the network had more confidence in it. They just used it as a slot filler. If it had premiered in the fall or mid-season, I think it could have at least gotten a second season.

• Love 4

This should probably be in a 'shows no one else ever watched or heard of' category, but did anyone else have a secret addiction to the short-lived She Spies? *crickets chirping* Extremely likable characters played by appealing actresses (Natasha Henstridge, Kristen Miller, etc.), an insanely fun mixture of campy comedy, satirical takes on spy show tropes and some mystery/action, and dialogue that's always sharper and wittier than I expect it to be. It's not objectively 'good', but it's such wonderfully mood-lifting fun. (Especially the first season---the second made the mistake of trying to get a little deeper and more serious, and we all know how that tends to turn out for once wildly entertaining, unashamedly shallow shows!) 

• Love 3

I loved early to mid 2000's sci-fi shows. (As I'm not from the US I don't know whether they all showed on the scifi/syfy channel or not - but they were all in the genre).

Loved Jake 2.0; Jeremiah; Jericho; Now and Again; Veritas (The Quest); F/X: The Series; Largo Winch (I realize it was more action, but always think of it in the same way as the rest); Mysterious Ways; Charlie Jade; and I'm sure there're some others I'm forgetting!

Then there are two shows that actually had longish runs; but now doesn't seem to ever be talked about. Both are Canadian shows.

Firstly it is Flashpoint - by far my favourite recent police procedural, simply because they didn't bow down to the lowest common denominator.

Then a show that is probably in my top five of all time (at least seasons 1-3) but is very rarely discussed is Regenesis. Such a compelling, smart and excellently acted and written drama. They knew how to write complex science monologues and dialogues without dumbing down the characters or the audience. Please tell me there are others that loves this show as well!

Edited by Snipsa
  • Love 1

Then there are two shows that actually had longish runs; but now doesn't seem to ever be talked about. Both are Canadian shows.

Firstly it is Flashpoint - by far my favourite recent police procedural, simply because they didn't bow down to the lowest common denominator.

Thank you for reminding me about Flashpoint, Snipsa.  I've seen a couple random episodes and thought the cast was remarkably solid.   Enrico Colanti, especially just oozed charisma (in a good way).  I don't know why you never hear about it, either.  Yes, it looked somewhat formulaic, but it looked far better than many procedurals.  (Anyway, I've put it back on my queue.)  

Regenesis, sadly, is not on netflix or amazon.

• Love 2

Thank you for reminding me about Flashpoint, Snipsa.  I've seen a couple random episodes and thought the cast was remarkably solid.   Enrico Colanti, especially just oozed charisma (in a good way).  I don't know why you never hear about it, either.  Yes, it looked somewhat formulaic, but it looked far better than many procedurals.  (Anyway, I've put it back on my queue.)  

If either of you get ION Television where you live, Flashpoint is regularly featured on it.

In the 'Never Got a Fair Shot' category: Chaos. CBS decided to premiere this in April (April?!) with not nearly enough promotion. It was a fun, action-comedy with a great cast that I think could have been a hit, if the network had more confidence in it. They just used it as a slot filler. If it had premiered in the fall or mid-season, I think it could have at least gotten a second season.

When I first heard about Chaos, I thought "Awesome! Another espionage series. Though, Ratner is involved, hmm..." And, when I actually saw the pilot and it's weird humor (memory is fuzzy), I was "Uh, pass." I think the series was also mismatched regarding networks: It probably would have worked a lot better, say on USA, with its "Characters Welcomed" mantra, than on the CBS, home of procedurals.

This should probably be in a 'shows no one else ever watched or heard of' category, but did anyone else have a secret addiction to the short-lived She Spies? *crickets chirping* Extremely likable characters played by appealing actresses (Natasha Henstridge, Kristen Miller, etc.), an insanely fun mixture of campy comedy, satirical takes on spy show tropes and some mystery/action, and dialogue that's always sharper and wittier than I expect it to be. It's not objectively 'good', but it's such wonderfully mood-lifting fun. (Especially the first season---the second made the mistake of trying to get a little deeper and more serious, and we all know how that tends to turn out for once wildly entertaining, unashamedly shallow shows!)

Guilty. And, She Spies could fit into the "never had a chance" category, due to it being syndicated.

• Love 2

Up All Night. The first season was great and it was a really promising, relatable comedy with a stay-at-home dad who wasn't a bumbling idiot or forced into it due to a job loss. Then NBC screwed with it and destroyed the show. It became unfunny and then they wanted to make it a 3-camera laugh-track show and Christina Applegate up and quit. Thanks, NBC!

• Love 4

There used to be a Canadian show about a newsroom called E.N.G. (Electronic News Gathering). It was about a newsroom in "Metro" (read: Toronto) and started with the premise that the bosses brought in a character called Mike to be news director instead of promoting the fiery Ann to the position. It pre-dawn fast moving shows like ER and NYPD Blue in the States, but was a great deal like those shows; it also had a lot of serialization and interesting characters, and tackled interesting issues - coming out, disability, suicide, sexual abuse, even alien abduction. Not all stories ended happily. And it introduced Victor Garber and Clark Johnson long before they became recognized in the States.

It was a fantastic show - CTV, I think, although I watched it in reruns when it came on in the afternoons on CBC in the late 90s, right after All My Children and the Janet-from-Another-Planet years.

Anyone else in Canada watch this besides me?!

• Love 1

I'm not in Canada but I loved that show! It played here in the States somewhere in the early 90s I believe, maybe on Lifetime? I think Homicide was already on the air because I definately recognized Clark Johhnson. And half the cast would pop up on every show shot in Canada.

• Love 1

Wonderfalls is a perfect example. Fun and quirky but just couldn't get enough people to watch it. Fox has a bad track record for cutting the cord prematurely.

I'd also submit Firefly and Kings.

Yes, YES to Kings. My family gets tired of my bitching about it to this day. It got screwed by the network, with the time slot hopping and poor promos. It had so, so much potential and I was so angry when it was canceled. Between that and fucking up the Olympics every two years, I will carry a grudge against NBC for the rest of my life.

• Love 3

Yes, YES to Kings. My family gets tired of my bitching about it to this day. It got screwed by the network, with the time slot hopping and poor promos. It had so, so much potential and I was so angry when it was canceled. Between that and fucking up the Olympics every two years, I will carry a grudge against NBC for the rest of my life.

I really liked Kings, but at the same time I think even under the best of circumstances, with a crazy amount of promotion and the best possible timeslot, that show would have been a super long shot to be successful on NBC. I mean can you imagine the NBC promo voice guy back in 2009 "coming up a new episode of The Biggest Loser followed by an all new Kings, here on NBC". It really just didn't fit with anything else on the network at the time. That said I am more pissed off about the fact that Ian McShane isn't on TV all the time. 

• Love 2