Type keyword(s) to search

Bridgerton In Media: Bodice Ripped From the Headlines

• Start Topic

(edited)
25 minutes ago, Door County Cherry said:

I enjoyed his scenes with Anthony in the first season so I'm sad we won't be getting those in the second. 

Yeah, that's a shame. There's a reason he's Bridgerton's break-out star. And his character already has connections and relationships with the other characters on the show. Plus, the viewers are invested in his story. But I suppose the writers will give Anthony a new guy friend. Will he be as attractive or as charming as Simon, though?

Edited by Kirsty
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, TheOtherOne said:

I wondered how they would keep Simon and Daphne involved in the series now that their story was told, since it would be expensive to keep the actors on as secondary characters. Well, here's an answer: No Simon in Season 2

‘Bridgerton’ Breakout Regé-Jean Page Will Not Appear in Season 2

NOOOOOOOOOOOO 😭😭😭😭😭

1 hour ago, iwantcookies said:

I’m okay with Simon being out of season 2. 

I'm not 😭

57 minutes ago, Kirsty said:

But I suppose the writers will give Anthony a new guy friend. Will he be as attractive or as charming as Simon, though?

A huge part of the success of Bridgerton is how hot Simon is, even if they got another really hot guy to play Anthony's friend, he'll only be a secondary character. Unfortunately, IMO, Anthony is not anywhere near as hot as Simon.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
15 minutes ago, GaT said:

A huge part of the success of Bridgerton is how hot Simon is

It was part of it but I think its success is more due to the fact that romance is a huge (overlooked on TV) genre and fans of the genre were starving for something like this.  It's Shondaland.    Regé-Jean Page was also in For The People which was nowhere near as successful as this show and he was still hot then. 

I'm not discounting his hotness but I think his current "it" status is more thanks to the show  than the show's "It" status is due to him.

While I hate his facial hair, I think Bailey is plenty hot.   

• Love 17
(edited)

I mean, the show is essentially an anthology anyway. I'd rather this then trying to add in a bunch of fluff to try and keep Simon and Daphne essential to the plot when their love story has been told.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Useful 1
  • Love 17
16 minutes ago, methodwriter85 said:

I'd rather this then trying to add in a bunch of fluff to try and keep Simon and Daphne essential to the plot when their love story has been told.

Same. It makes sense that Daphne is still around because the books are about her family. 

• Love 12
47 minutes ago, GaT said:

NOOOOOOOOOOOO 😭😭😭😭😭

I'm not 😭

A huge part of the success of Bridgerton is how hot Simon is, even if they got another really hot guy to play Anthony's friend, he'll only be a secondary character. Unfortunately, IMO, Anthony is not anywhere near as hot as Simon.

I agree - this is tragic from my perspective.  I haven't read the books - so I don't know what to expect going forward.  But this whole season has been about this couple.  And Rene-Page was a huge reason for its success.

And he is gorgeousssssssssss!!! In every way.

This isn't Downton Abbey where the plotlines are evenly divided among the cast - so if one leaves the show still went on.  The exception being Maggie Smith.  When she said she wasn't coming back for S7 - Fellows ended the show.

Shonda is creative enough to do a compelling story for the couple, if indeed they were sidelined in the books. He was a central character that kept the other characters interacting with each other.  

• Love 2

Will Phoebe still be around? I assume they will be mentioned but not seen. Book two takes place a lot in the country. Will the Bassetts be busy on their own estate? Doing business outside England? Lady Danbury better still be around... and her cane. LOL

• Love 2

I'm actually kinda happy that Simon isn't returning. There is no bigger turnoff for me then when a show decides to create fake drama in a relationship for the sake of drama. I haven't read the books but based on what the show delivered, the concept is to provide, in true romcom fashion, a happy ever after for the couple featured. I knew that Simon and Daphne were going to end up together, that was never in doubt how there got there was what kept me watching (among other things). So I don't need the writers to create unnecessary drama to give the actors 'something to do' and ruin the happy ending. Sure I'll miss seeing Simon on screen but I'll also be content seeing more of Anthony on screen as well. And hopefully Benedict.

1 hour ago, Atlanta said:

Lady Danbury better still be around... and her cane. LOL

Now if she disappears from our screen, I will be disappointed. I really enjoyed her snark.

• Love 11
2 hours ago, Atlanta said:

Will Phoebe still be around? I assume they will be mentioned but not seen. Book two takes place a lot in the country. Will the Bassetts be busy on their own estate? Doing business outside England? Lady Danbury better still be around... and her cane. LOL

I think so.  I believe the statement talks as if she will be helping Anthony navigate his story.

• Love 1

And she probably won't be involved a whole lot.  I'm glad they aren't sacrificing the happily ever after of the story to keep Simon on and create marital drama for him and Daph at this point.  

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Blakeston said:

I'm not at all surprised that he isn't coming back. He must be getting huge offers. I've been expecting him to become a very big star, particularly after seeing how well he did on SNL.

Yeah, people are throwing around the Dan Stevens comparison, but let's be honest here- as someone who does like the guy, I don't think Dan possesses anywhere near the same megawatt charisma that Rege has. (And it's not like Dan Stevens has been a total fail, in any event.) 

• Love 4
7 hours ago, Bill1978 said:

Now if she disappears from our screen, I will be disappointed. I really enjoyed her snark.

8 hours ago, Atlanta said:

Lady Danbury better still be around... and her cane. LOL

She is barely in book 2 so she should only appear in 1 episode at most if they want to be faithful to the books.

• Love 1

They have a whole new plot with the Featherington heir and an original character that can very likely be him. I don't think they're really married to the books. 

• Love 1

Not surprised to see this. I think he’s done the show and himself a favour by stepping away. With his popularity they wouldn’t have been able to resist a load of annoying drama between himself and Daphne just to give him more screen time and I think it would have taken away from the upcoming season storyline. It’s happened too many times when a character/actors popularity ends up taking over the show in a bad way.

Page seems pretty ambitious so it’s reasonable he wants to capitalise on his success while it’s still fresh. Filming season two would have tied him down.

• Love 9

The only thing that bothers me is Simon is pivotal in ONE scene (those who read know it) next season and I do not know how they will do it without him.  Also he is pivotal in Colin's story as well.   

• Love 7
3 hours ago, Slakkie said:

The only thing that bothers me is Simon is pivotal in ONE scene (those who read know it) next season and I do not know how they will do it without him.  Also he is pivotal in Colin's story as well.   

I think Violet (Daphne's mom) can sort of step in for that scene they just have to tweak it a little bit.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I imagine the covid protocols played a part as well. In Before Times an actor could potentially pop in and shoot a couple of cameos if the scheduling could be worked out. Now, not so much because of the quarantine periods in effect on most sets. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Harvey said:

I think Violet (Daphne's mom) can sort of step in for that scene they just have to tweak it a little bit.

Yeah she probably can but I NEED THAT SCENE....lol

• Love 1
18 hours ago, Avabelle said:

Page seems pretty ambitious so it’s reasonable he wants to capitalise on his success while it’s still fresh. Filming season two would have tied him down.

I remember reading somewhere that even though British dramas only have like 5-8 episodes a season, they take just as long to film as a 22-episode American network drama.

I was reading speculation that they'd show Daphne and Simon struggle with the joys and problems of a new baby...which...no. Hell, no. This is not a couple that is going to be bothered by a baby crying at night because guess what? A wet nurse is pretty much taking care of all of that!

• Love 4

I read an article, which I cannot remember which, sorry (might even be one linked above?).

But Rege-Paul said he'd not have taken the gig if it was for more than one season so I don't think it has anything to do with Covid or anything else.  He was approached by TPTB about a one season gig and that is what he signed on for... it was never meant to be more than that.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Has anyone heard how many seasons they plan on making? I've never read the books, so I wondered if they covered all the siblings which they do. Since Hyacinth is currently a little girl, & the last book is about her, they must cover a long time period. I wonder how different things are in the last book as compared to the first.

• Love 1
On 4/3/2021 at 2:23 AM, Avabelle said:

Not surprised to see this. I think he’s done the show and himself a favour by stepping away. With his popularity they wouldn’t have been able to resist a load of annoying drama between himself and Daphne just to give him more screen time and I think it would have taken away from the upcoming season storyline. It’s happened too many times when a character/actors popularity ends up taking over the show in a bad way.

He would have also had to quarantine himself with the rest of the cast, no matter how limited his appearance in the season.  One can't just "pop in" these days.

So, who is that new character "Jack"?  Any speculation?

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, magdalene said:

Benedict's boy toy?

Anthony's new BFF since Simon will no longer be around

The paperboy who delivers Lady Whistledown's paper to the masses

The Bridgerton's chimney sweep.

• LOL 2

It'd make sense if he's the Featherington that shows up to kick Penelope and her family out of the house. Like Sense and Sensibility, basically.

1 hour ago, Bill1978 said:

Benedict's boy toy?

God, if only. Bi Bennedict needs to be bi. LOL.

• Love 5
11 hours ago, magdalene said:

Could he be the eventual husband of Eloise or Francesca & they are just setting things up?

• Love 1
On 4/2/2021 at 1:34 PM, methodwriter85 said:

I mean, the show is essentially an anthology anyway. I'd rather this then trying to add in a bunch of fluff to try and keep Simon and Daphne essential to the plot when their love story has been told.

I agree with this, although I think it would be nice if even as they zero in on other characters for a season, the other characters would still be there, at parties or whatnot. But I can see how that wouldn't be practical for busy actors who don't want to make cameos.

At any rate, despite it being the main story, Simon and Daphne's was the least interesting part of season one, so I'm okay with it not being dragged out.

• Love 4

Rege Jean Page not returning for the second season got a mention on Last Week Tonight.

At 15:25 mark. It's completely in character for him to start something he doesn't finish. Bahahaha. 

1 minute ago, janie jones said:

I agree with this, although I think it would be nice if even as they zero in on other characters for a season, the other characters would still be there, at parties or whatnot. But I can see how that wouldn't be practical for busy actors who don't want to make cameos.

I actually read somehwere that as they're renegotiating with the cast, cameos in future seasons are being added to their contracts. I can't find the source now so it could be bogus, but it certainly makes sense. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I would hope that some of the actors were already contracted or at least optioned, surely? You need Violet, Anthony, and Penelope at a minimum for future seasons. You can't very well have a family drama without the matriarch and patriarch, and Lady Whistledown drives so much story (although I suppose you don't have to see Pen herself).

The other characters I think you can explain away, although I'd hate to miss the HEA for any of the siblings. 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Jane Tuesday said:

I would hope that some of the actors were already contracted or at least optioned, surely? You need Violet, Anthony, and Penelope at a minimum for future seasons. You can't very well have a family drama without the matriarch and patriarch, and Lady Whistledown drives so much story (although I suppose you don't have to see Pen herself).

The other characters I think you can explain away, although I'd hate to miss the HEA for any of the siblings. 

I would have thought the people playing the Bridgertons themselves would have had different discussions in the very beginning, if not different contracts.

• Useful 1
On 4/4/2021 at 4:03 PM, GaT said:

Has anyone heard how many seasons they plan on making? I've never read the books, so I wondered if they covered all the siblings which they do. Since Hyacinth is currently a little girl, & the last book is about her, they must cover a long time period. I wonder how different things are in the last book as compared to the first.

There's a ten year gap between books three and four.  Then books four through six take place within a period of two or three months.  Books seven and eight feel disconnected from the others (I like them).

• Useful 3

Inside Rege-Jean Page’s ‘Bridgerton’ Departure

"Sources close to the show tell THR that Page was offered an opportunity to return as a guest star in three to five episodes of season two — at a rate of $50,000 an episode — but declined for a multitude of reasons."

"Sources say nearly everyone close to the show knew Page only had a one-year deal for Bridgerton. The plan from the start was for the sophomore season to be based on Quinn's The Viscount Who Loved Me and revolve around Jonathan Bailey's Anthony Bridgerton, with Page's Simon never planned to be part of the story.

Few could have predicted that Bridgerton would become Netflix's most-watched original series ever or that Page would become its fan favorite. Sources say the production reached out to Page's camp in January or February with an offer to return — after he and the show broke out — even though plans for season two never included his character, Simon."

• Useful 3
  • Love 5

Also Regé Jean Page is in the middle of filming the movie The Gray Man for Netflix with Chris Evans and Ryan Gosling so he wouldn’t have been available for filming the current season.

I’ve read the books, so I knew not to expect him to be a major player in the next story. Maybe they can work out a cameo for a later season. I’m good with each love story having its time to shine since that’s what most romance series do anyway. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, TheOtherOne said:

Inside Rege-Jean Page’s ‘Bridgerton’ Departure

"Sources close to the show tell THR that Page was offered an opportunity to return as a guest star in three to five episodes of season two — at a rate of $50,000 an episode — but declined for a multitude of reasons."

"Sources say nearly everyone close to the show knew Page only had a one-year deal for Bridgerton. The plan from the start was for the sophomore season to be based on Quinn's The Viscount Who Loved Me and revolve around Jonathan Bailey's Anthony Bridgerton, with Page's Simon never planned to be part of the story.

Few could have predicted that Bridgerton would become Netflix's most-watched original series ever or that Page would become its fan favorite. Sources say the production reached out to Page's camp in January or February with an offer to return — after he and the show broke out — even though plans for season two never included his character, Simon."

Good for him for turning it down.  50K an episode - how unimpressive.  Most starting salaries start at around $20k.  You are the breakout star that are getting people to watch this show.  You deserved at least 100K.

A man of color not getting what  he's truly worth.  How typical.

• Love 1
55 minutes ago, TV Diva Queen said:

Just heard on the morning news that Rene was offered $250k for a cameo/one time appearance and he turned it down. 

Well that's more like it.

$50k was an insult.  He would make more money from other projects.

• Love 1

I'd do it for 50K, but then again I am a pasty, old white woman whose abs have long since departed.  You'd most likely have to pay the audience $250K to watch me!  Well, he sure was pretty.  Good luck to him in his future endeavors.  I think he'll go far.

• LOL 6
  • Love 4
(edited)
Spoiler

Oo I see they added an interesting layer of scandal for Mary that was not there in the books...but it sounds intriguing.

I also think Theo Sharpe is here for Penelope, since he works at a printer.

Edited by Harvey
  • Useful 1

Costume Designers Guild Award nomination!

Excellence in Period Television
Bridgerton: "Diamond of the First Water" – Ellen Mirojnick & John W. Glaser III
The Crown: "Terra Nullius" – Amy Roberts
Lovecraft Country: "I Am." – Dayna Pink
Mrs. America: "Shirley" – Bina Daigeler
The Queen's Gambit: "End Game" – Gabriele Binder

• Useful 1