Type keyword(s) to search

Bridgerton In Media: Bodice Ripped From the Headlines

• Start Topic

I can see why some related to the show might feel that way but if they didn't think to lock him into a contract past the first season then any choice he makes is one he has the right to make.  

I like RJP but Simon was kind of meh to me so I won't personally miss him as much as others will but I've been there when a favorite character leaves after a season because the actor only signed for a season.  It sucks but if they wanted someone willing to stick around past the first season, they should have found an actor willing to stick around past the first season. 

But I do have some spec about this that I'll take to the books thread.  It's probably unlikely but with the renewals that happened....

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
53 minutes ago, Door County Cherry said:

I can see why some related to the show might feel that way but if they didn't think to lock him into a contract past the first season then any choice he makes is one he has the right to make.  

Yeah, the "do your job and fulfill your contract" stuff really doesn't apply to him. But I'd be absolutely shocked if the site was referring to anyone on TV but him.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Atlanta said:

I know this is a gossip site, but it's pretty reliable.

https://blindgossip.com/check-the-title-and-your-job-and-your-ego/

From what I can gather on social media, TPTB with Bridgerton did not expect the huge fan reaction to RJP and Simon.  Instead of backing him up and reiterating that his was always only a one-year deal because that's how romance novels work, they have decided to throw him under the bus.  Many fans have been vocal about refusing to watch the show without him.  They want those viewers to check out season 2 so they are attempting to say it's Rege's fault he won't be in season 2.  They locked every other actor into a multi-season deal, if they had initially planned on having Simon in subsequent seasons they would have locked up Rege at the same time.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

I fully understand an actor not wanting to get locked into a role and wanting to be paid what they feel they are worth.

At the same time, ensemble shows succeed because of the ensemble and often the “breakout star” doesn’t really break out of anything. Game of Thrones isn’t the best example because of the negative press of the ending, but not one of those actors has been able to translate the small screen popularity into becoming an A list movie star. 

I liked RJP a LOT in the role of Simon, but not because he was the best actor. He was fine as an actor. I liked him because he was so damn hot in the period costumes. I’ve seen him in a tux, in street clothes, etc and he’s hot. But he’s not OH MY GOD SO HOT the way he is in his Duke of Hastings costumes. 

The popularity of Bridgerton gives him a built-in audience for his next project, but I’d bet that audience is predominantly women wanting him in a role that makes their knees weak. Maybe he could do that if he gets Bond (although, I am SO TIRED of Bond), but putting him in most action films isn’t going to do it. The audience that found him fascinating as he danced at a ball isn’t going to find him quite as interesting when he drives a really fast car. Coming back for one scene in S2 would have retained some of that audience and probably would have been a good PR move.

I wish him the absolute best, and if he makes another romance, I’ll definitely watch once it comes on a streaming service. 

Bridgerton definitely benefited from the pandemic. And certainly, there may be a “Boycott Bridgerton!” Hashtag or something once S2 comes out, but the core audience will be back Simon or no. Romance sells. 

• Love 7
3 hours ago, Atlanta said:

I can't think of another show that fits the description, although that's not saying much, but I found the claim that Page signed and intended to be part of only one season completely believable. Maybe I'm a rube. 🤷‍♀️

The renewal isn't suprising, but I'd be curious to know if the plan is to go on with a book per season. The timing of first three books works for this, but since there are overlaps with books 4,5 and 6, I wonder what the plan is there. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

I liked RJP a LOT in the role of Simon, but not because he was the best actor. He was fine as an actor. I liked him because he was so damn hot in the period costumes. I’ve seen him in a tux, in street clothes, etc and he’s hot. But he’s not OH MY GOD SO HOT the way he is in his Duke of Hastings costumes. 

I never thought of this, but you're right. I actually wondered why he didn't always seem as hot IRL, but costumes may be it, but also, while he's still good looking, without the scruff he had as the Duke, he's not as hot

rege-jean-page.jpg?w=1000Bridgerton-5-1-742x388.jpg

His next movie, Dungeons & Dragons has been delayed until 2023, so now who knows when he'll be seen on any screen.

• Love 4

I think it is quite likely that many audience members' reaction to the news that RJP won't be in season 2 will largely come down to three main categories of 1) Romance book fans who assumed there was a HEA and he would necessarily not be overly intrical to future seasons, 2) Bridgerton series readers who had a vague notion that Simon and Daphne don't figure strongly into later books but generally fondly remember the Bridgertons as a close-knit siblings who make appearances in the books and Simon being very funny during the pall mall scene, and 3) people who had no significant history with the genre or the series and became enamoured of RJP and never even considered whether it made sense for him to be in future season because why would anyone get rid of him?

I'm sure there are people who fall into some other group or a combination of the above. But I suspect they are the 3 main.

I fell into the second group.  It never occured to me he would much around. And, though I think he is charismatic and gorgeous, I didn't care for Simon a whole lot and am certainly more interested in other characters. 

Also, for me, as much as I will miss RJP himself and Simon's snark during the house party, I can't say I'm not a little bit relieved he won't be back.  As popular as his character was, there might be too much temptation to shove him into stories where he didn't really fit and/or to the loss of a scene with a character for whom it would make more sense and/or create unnecessary Duchy of Hastings drama to find something for him to do.  In fact, that they went from not planning to have him return at all to 4-5 episodes makes it seem like they really were considering such. 

On balance, he'd be relevant for the sake of maybe 2-4 lines in 3 episodes and to stand next to Daph at the wedding.  I'm sure someone else who is included as a friend of the family can be there to make witty observations of the absurdity of the Bridgerton siblings. 

1 hour ago, bijoux said:

The renewal isn't surprising, but I'd be curious to know if the plan is to go on with a book per season. The timing of first three books works for this, but since there are overlaps with books 4,5 and 6, I wonder what the plan is there

I'll take my response to this to the books thread.

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, GaT said:

I never thought of this, but you're right. I actually wondered why he didn't always seem as hot IRL, but costumes may be it, but also, while he's still good looking, without the scruff he had as the Duke, he's not as hot

His next movie, Dungeons & Dragons has been delayed until 2023, so now who knows when he'll be seen on any screen.

The lowered eyes, the haughty expression, the high collar, the scruff, that's what keeps him from looking like the second lead (but hottest member) of boyband. 

• Love 7

I actually prefer him clean-shaven, but I realize I'm in the minority in these matters!

He seemed to have no problem appealing to the live audiences and the TV viewers in his SNL appearance. (He looked especially great in that leather jacket.) The period clothes help with the hotness for sure, but I think he'll be seen as very sexy no matter what.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Blakeston said:

I actually prefer him clean-shaven, but I realize I'm in the minority in these matters!

He seemed to have no problem appealing to the live audiences and the TV viewers in his SNL appearance. (He looked especially great in that leather jacket.) The period clothes help with the hotness for sure, but I think he'll be seen as very sexy no matter what.

Oh yes, clean shaven or scruffed, I definitely see him as sexy.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
21 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

From what I can gather on social media, TPTB with Bridgerton did not expect the huge fan reaction to RJP and Simon.  Instead of backing him up and reiterating that his was always only a one-year deal because that's how romance novels work, they have decided to throw him under the bus.  Many fans have been vocal about refusing to watch the show without him.  They want those viewers to check out season 2 so they are attempting to say it's Rege's fault he won't be in season 2.  They locked every other actor into a multi-season deal, if they had initially planned on having Simon in subsequent seasons they would have locked up Rege at the same time.  

I never got the sense he was being thrown under the bus by anyone (I don't take gossip sites seriously), but it's funny that you said this right before Shonda's interview came out saying the same thing about only expecting him to be in one season and how this is how romance novels work.

A lot of sites, like the Apple link above, are pulling quotes from the interview, but here's the full Vanity Fair interview:

EXCLUSIVE: Shonda Rhimes and Betsy Beers Reign Supreme as Netflix Greenlights Bridgerton Seasons 3 and 4

Edited by TheOtherOne
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
21 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

At the same time, ensemble shows succeed because of the ensemble and often the “breakout star” doesn’t really break out of anything. Game of Thrones isn’t the best example because of the negative press of the ending, but not one of those actors has been able to translate the small screen popularity into becoming an A list movie star. 

Emilia Clarke is trying but kind of failing. Richard Madden is definitely getting groomed for A-list stardom, though.

• Love 2
57 minutes ago, methodwriter85 said:

Emilia Clarke is trying but kind of failing. Richard Madden is definitely getting groomed for A-list stardom, though.

Madden definitely broken out and has done some great work, but he wasn’t labeled the standout star of his three seasons of GoT. (I love me some Madden.) Clarke and Harington were the ones pushed as the ones with the most potential and both have kind of failed.

A lot of it depends on the project as well. Harington did the laughably bad Pompeii. Clarke has the looks and charm to be a rom-com queen, but chose bad roles. She was also dealing with devastating brain aneurysms that definitely held her back. 

RJP might land the right project, like Madden in Bodyguard. I just never want another Pompeii.

• Love 1
On 4/13/2021 at 10:09 AM, BlackberryJam said:

I am not surprised that Clarke and Harington haven't translated their Game of Thrones stardom to the A-list.  You have to have the "it" factor and you have to pick the right projects.  I remember how some people were feeling sorry for Richard Madden when his GOT character was killed off early into the run of the show.  But look where he is now - Madden avoided being associated with GOT when it imploded during its final season. And he dazzled people with the starring role in an excellent TV series, Bodyguard.  He is going places.

As for RJP, he must have been pitched what "Bridgerton" was about and realized "hmm, my characters name is not Bridgerton...."

1 hour ago, magdalene said:

As for RJP, he must have been pitched what "Bridgerton" was about and realized "hmm, my characters name is not Bridgerton...."

The thing I keep thinking is that Shonda Rhimes is not some beginner in the business of long running hit shows.  I know people keep saying surprise hit but the surprise would be that a Shondaland production was not a hit.  So if she had wanted the option to use RJP in the coming seasons that would have been in the initial contract.  Even if the requirement was 3 episode appearance.  She didn’t do that.  It was a one season contract.  So we may get RJP in season 3 or 4 but we are not getting him in season 2.  He was not locked in.

• Love 5
On 4/13/2021 at 8:28 AM, Atlanta said:

The underlying premise of this article seems to be that the only reason a person would want to leave a hit show is because they think they're hot shit. But I can think of a few different reasons. It might be a career gamble to leave the present hottest show, but there are non-hot-shit reasons to make the gamble.

Plus, if that article is about Page, then the line about "Fulfill your contract" doesn't even make sense, because he did fulfill his contract.

Edited by janie jones
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, janie jones said:

The underlying premise of this article seems to be that the only reason a person would want to leave a hit show is because they think they're hot shit. But I can think of a few different reasons. It might be a career gamble to leave the present hottest show, but there are non-hot-shit reasons to make the gamble.

Plus, if that article is about Page, then the line about "Fulfill your contract" doesn't even make sense, because he did fulfill his contract.

Exactly. He may be booked and busy, or have better offers, why are people side-eying him for success? Not to mention, if his other roles are filmed elsewhere, international quarantine rules may complicate doing even a guest spot.

• Love 5

All of this feels like BS hype.  Lord knows Shonda has no problem conveying her feelings when she feels an actor screwed her over (whether justified in that feeling or not).  And she straight up said she was sort of surprised by the reaction. Sure, it's possible that she's matured.  It's been two decades.  But I have hard time believing she'd go as far as feigning bemusement at the reaction.

• Love 1

Caruso famously left CSI: Miami NYPD Blue in a huff at the beginning of the second season because he didn't feel he was getting the salary he deserved. For some reason, some people feel R-JP is throwing a similar hissy fit by turning down that reported $50,000-an-episode offer. Never mind Pierre totally fulfilled his contract and has no obligation to return to Bridgerton.

Edited by dubbel zout
wrong show
  • Love 3
24 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Caruso famously left CSI: Miami in a huff at the beginning of the second season because he didn't feel he was getting the salary he deserved. For some reason, some people feel R-JP is throwing a similar hissy fit by turning down that reported $50,000-an-episode offer. Never mind Pierre totally fulfilled his contract and has no obligation to return to Bridgerton.

I think it was NYPD Blue, but yeah.  He became sort of famous for assuming the popularity of the show and the hype around his character in the first season meant he could throw his weight around and then he was allegedly a total ass when he didn't get the renegotiated contract he wanted.  Then he was written out. (Whether he demanded to be let out or they just decided he was too big a PITA to keep I have no idea.)  As it turned out, he didn't fair all that well.  His movie career didn't end up going anywhere and shows were a little reluctant to hire him.  He found success again with CSI.  But it was like 8 or 9 years later. 

ETA:  I see nothing similar in the situation with RJP. It feels drummed up by the columnists to make it seem more of a thing than it is.

Edited by RachelKM
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
6 minutes ago, RachelKM said:
25 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Caruso famously left CSI: Miami in a huff at the beginning of the second season because he didn't feel he was getting the salary he deserved. For some reason, some people feel R-JP is throwing a similar hissy fit by turning down that reported $50,000-an-episode offer. Never mind Pierre totally fulfilled his contract and has no obligation to return to Bridgerton.

I think it was NYPD Blue, but yeah.  He became sort of famous for assuming the popularity of the show and the hype around his character in the first season meant he could throw his weight around and then he was allegedly a total ass when he didn't get the renegotiated contract he wanted.  Then he was written out. (Whether he demanded to be let out or they just decided he was too big a PITA to keep I have no idea.)  As it turned out, he didn't fair all that well.  His movie career didn't end up going anywhere and shows were a little reluctant to hire him.  He found success again with CSI.  But it was like 8 or 9 years later. 

That situation isn't all that comparable to RJP, IMO. He's hotter than Caruso, in more than one sense.

• Love 2
53 minutes ago, Trini said:

Relevance?

David Caruso left NYPD Blue after the first season to become a big movie star after he became a huge breakout star. Unfortunately for him, his movies were never big hits & he basically became a "whatever happened to?" until years later when he became Horatio Caine on the CSI series. He later admitted he regretted leaving the show. The circumstances are different, RJP finished his contract, & David Caruso walked away from his,  but the idea of leaving a hit show to  be a movie star is the same. David Caruso is the poster child for every actor who leaves a hit show to become a movie star.

RJP will either be George Clooney or David Caruso.  It seems as if there is no in between for the media.  

Shelley Long was on Cheers for five years.  She fulfilled her contract.  At the end of her contract, she opted to leave and try her hand at movies and focus on parenting.  Her movie career didn't take off.  And now, she's forever lumped in with the likes of David Caruso just because she completed a job and decided to bet on herself. Even though taking risks is almost essential to deciding to pursue a career in acting since so few make it. 

George Clooney did the same thing with ER but his movie career took off so he's not criticized for his decision. 

RJP won't be the lead next season and the focus shouldn't be on him.  So, as an actor, it's probably smart of him to go out there and see if he can build on his current buzz which could get muted if he commits to a second season where the hype will be around someone else.  Heck, he could end up in a story that could lead to people hating the Duke of Hastings.  While it would be nice if he could make some appearances, the logistics could make that tricky. If I were him, I would have said something like "loved being on the first season, appearances on the second won't fit my schedule but I'll always leave the door open to possibly appear." And then he can just never be available if he is really walking away for good.

4 hours ago, Trini said:

why are people side-eying him for success?

I think sometimes fans can suffer from fan entitlement.   They haven't finished with Simon yet and don't think RJP should be either even though his obligation is up.  It's more accepted if an actor puts in 6-7 years or longer into a role and then chooses to move on to "different projects" than it is to appear nakedly ambitious if an audience isn't ready for it.  And as much as I don't think an actor is obligated to do anything but fulfill his/her duty, I can also understand the emotions it stirs up in fans.  It can feel like such a huge loss of personal enjoyment and that it ends up feeling personal even when it isn't. 

If he doesn't take off, fans will "I told you so" him.  If it does take off, as it did with Clooney, it'll be seen as a wise career decision. 

• Love 12

It might be a British vs. American audience expectation thing, too. British people are far more used to actors leaving a role that made them famous after a season or two while American actors are usually contracted for at least 5 years.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8

There is a distinct difference between British and American actors. Many of the Brits are also very active in live theatre as well. I know that Richard Madden, Kit Harrington and Maisie Williams have been. These three are all part of the Marvel universe too. 

• Love 2
7 hours ago, PatsyandEddie said:

There is a distinct difference between British and American actors. Many of the Brits are also very active in live theatre as well.[b] I know that Richard Madden, Kit Harrington and Maisie Williams have been. These three are all part of the Marvel universe too. [/b] 

I didn't know this. So Bran and Rickon are the only ones left? Maybe Marvel will finally fulfill my dreams of the Stark kids reuniting. 

I don't know why people are reaching so far. Dan Stevens decided not to resign after fulfilling his three year contract for Downton Abbey and people hated him and were gleeful when he wasn't in a blockbuster a month after exiting the show. I mean I'm no fan of how and when his storyline ended, but the man was perfectly within his rights to leave. 

• Love 8
25 minutes ago, bijoux said:

I don't know why people are reaching so far. Dan Stevens decided not to resign after fulfilling his three year contract for Downton Abbey and people hated him and were gleeful when he wasn't in a blockbuster a month after exiting the show. I mean I'm no fan of how and when his storyline ended, but the man was perfectly within his rights to leave. 

I was going to mention him in my post as well because I think that's probably the closest comparison--except that his character/love story was still going to be front and center.  

But yep.  He was perfectly within his rights to leave.  And while his career didn't explode, he has worked about as much as his costars who stayed on the show. 

• Love 8

Jessica Findlay Brown, who played Sibyl on DA, left after her contract was up, too. The show survived, and she seems to be thriving.

Not everyone who leaves a hit show wants to be a huge star. Sometimes it's about having more options and being able to do different kinds of projects.

The actors owe nothing to anyone but themselves, IMO.

• Love 13
On 4/16/2021 at 6:20 AM, PatsyandEddie said:

There is a distinct difference between British and American actors. Many of the Brits are also very active in live theatre as well. I know that Richard Madden, Kit Harrington and Maisie Williams have been. These three are all part of the Marvel universe too. 

I think one of the reasons why American actors are less likely to leave a hit show is that it's hard to turn down the money - British TV just don't pay as much as American TV does and I don't think Netflix does either.  The leads can make over $1M an episode (Reese Witherspoon & Jennifer Aniston for Morning Show but that may also include producing) but even secondary characters can make a lot of money. Page was reportedly offered $50K an episode to appear in some episodes of season 2 but that probably wasn't worth the hassle of scheduling around his upcoming projects especially if his agents were able to wrangle a bigger salary for those projects. 

• Love 4

I am hoping we're near the end of the articles about Rege-Jean Page not coming back. I don't really see any bad guy here - RJP recognizes the nature of romance novels, clearly, and that a show built around a romance novel structure isn't going to highlight his character when they've moved on to focus on another couple. And so he's striking while the iron is hot when it comes to other career opportunities. 

Meanwhile, Shondaland recognizes that he is going to have those opportunities and they aren't standing in his way. I don't really see any acrimony on either side, and I feel like I've seen three or four weeks of articles trying to make this decision controversial when it really isn't. 

Edited by eleanorofaquitaine
  • Love 12
4 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

I literally laughed out loud at the Big of Heart, Dumb of Ass one.  So so true.  

Personally after the first episode or so, I had no trouble telling them apart, due to the hair mostly.. plus, Anthony's side burns... which I loathe, and Benedict is cuter than Anthony.. and Colin is a big old doofy cutie pie.. and so much younger than the other two.  

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Callietwo said:

I literally laughed out loud at the Big of Heart, Dumb of Ass one.  So so true.  

Personally after the first episode or so, I had no trouble telling them apart, due to the hair mostly.. plus, Anthony's side burns... which I loathe, and Benedict is cuter than Anthony.. and Colin is a big old doofy cutie pie.. and so much younger than the other two.  

The best description I've heard of Anthony is that he's a short Hugh Jackman. LOL.

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
On 4/13/2021 at 4:09 PM, Blakeston said:

I prefer him clean shaven as well.

But I think without the scruff he does read “younger” and that may be throwing some people off regarding their perception of his hotness. 

• Love 2
(edited)
On 4/13/2021 at 1:35 PM, GaT said:

I'm sure this will get a lot of shit but...I agree with you on the above and it reminds me a bit of the Sam Heughan/Jamie Fraser conundrum. Don't get me wrong, Sam is a very good looking guy in real life, but as Jamie Fraser in his Fraser tartan kilt, he makes me feel like a 16 year old schoolgirl, weak-in-the-knees with her first crush. He is fabulously handsome, sexy, and interesting as Jamie Fraser, but he looks like an average good looking guy in real life. *ducks to avoid the rottom tomatoes headed my way*

It's fascinating to me how a person can be so transformed into a role that they are that different in real life, in terms of attraction.

*slinks away from the incoming scorn...*

Edited by gingerella
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2
40 minutes ago, gingerella said:

I'm sure this will get a lot of shit but...I agree with you on the above and it reminds me a bit of the Sam Heughan/Jamie Fraser conundrum. Don't get me wrong, Sam is a very good looking guy in real life, but as Jamie Fraser in his Fraser tartan kilt, he makes me feel like a 16 year old schoolgirl, weak-in-the-knees with her first crush. He is fabulously handsome, sexy, and interesting as Jamie Fraser, but he looks like an average good looking guy in real life. *ducks to avoid the rottom tomatoes headed my way*

It's fascinating to me how a person can be so transformed into a role that they are that different in real life, in terms of attraction.

*slinks away from the incoming scorn...*

I had to look him up since I had no idea who he was, but I can see what you mean. Interestingly, when he's Jamie Fraser he also seems to have a bit of scruff. Scruff is good. 

• LOL 4
On 5/14/2021 at 8:27 PM, Door County Cherry said:

Bridgerton is getting a prequel series about Queen Charlotte, Violet Bridgerton and Lady Danbury

Wow, three more seasons and a spin-off. That's what you call a successful first season. I never imagined it would be such a hit; I'm delighted. But I'd love if other romance properties were adapted thanks to Bridgerton's popularity. I'm still hoping for a Bridgerton effect.

• Love 9