Type keyword(s) to search

Bridgerton In Media: Bodice Ripped From the Headlines

• Start Topic

I seriously doubt they will change the story from the book very much.  It's a tight story, with plenty of cinematic possibilities.  In addition there is ample opportunity to keep other cast members on screen.

It's practically designed as a TV show.

It's also many people's favorite book.  I quite like two others a bit more, but for many, book two is the favorite.

• Love 2

I am sure they'll make some changes, if only for practical reasons - for instance, they are going to have continue some of the story lines, like Pen and Colin, that were established in the season 1. But hopefully they won't make many changes to the main story around Anthony and Kate. 

10 minutes ago, eleanorofaquitaine said:

I am sure they'll make some changes, if only for practical reasons - for instance, they are going to have continue some of the story lines, like Pen and Colin, that were established in the season 1. But hopefully they won't make many changes to the main story around Anthony and Kate. 

There are so many group events though, I doubt it will be hard.

Also, he'll have to share thoughts with people rather than just thinking them, so plenty of opportunity there as well, in addition other people will react to several situations the two leads are in.

I think it will be super easy to adapt this, while keeping other characters on screen, and not losing the great parts of the story.

• Love 1

They changed her last name to Sharma. I was wondering if they were going to have Kate be mixed with her late mother being a woman of color while her father, Mary, and Edwina remain white. Not anymore! I wonder who they'll cast to play Edwina Sharma.

• Love 1

I watched the first season of Sex Education but it has been so long that I don't remember her in it.  (Although I did just find a video on YouTube and I remember the story from that episode.)

She was also in Broadchurch but I don't remember her from that either.  I wonder if she and Jonathan Bailey shared scenes. 

I hope she does comedy. 

With the diversity of Bridgerton, I was hoping that Kate would be of Asian descent so thrilled she is Indian. She’s supposed to be the “plainer” sister so wondering who her sister will play since the actress that plays Kate is gorgeous. 

• Love 3

I mentioned in a different thread that I liked the idea of Kate being of Indian descent (or maybeit was this one?). So long as Edwina and Mary are also part of the story, I am happy.

As for the actress not being plain enough, well, keep in mind that her publicity head shot isn't going to downplay her looks. Wardrobe and make up can do wonders - they've obviously dowdied up Nicola Coughlan to play Penelope and I am sure they can do the same for Simone Ashley. 

Edited by eleanorofaquitaine
  • Love 3
21 hours ago, Door County Cherry said:

I watched the first season of Sex Education but it has been so long that I don't remember her in it.  (Although I did just find a video on YouTube and I remember the story from that episode.)

She was also in Broadchurch but I don't remember her from that either.  I wonder if she and Jonathan Bailey shared scenes. 

I hope she does comedy. 

She definitely did comedy in Sex Education.  

• Love 1

My read on Kate from the book was that she mostly considered “plain” because she didn’t match the standard of beauty of the time (dark hair and eyes, tall, full lips), compared to her sister, who was the refined blond beauty archetype as well as graceful. So I don’t have have really have a problem striking actress playing her.

Edited by HeySandyStrange
  • Love 6
(edited)

There were some pretty strange outfits, usual for the Golden Globes though.  "Fat girl" is unbelievably nasty.

Still, I don't like this combination:

nicola-coughlan-yellow-dress-2021-goldenIt's more the dress than the sweater, but together?  Not great.

That said, I don't really like what some considered "the best" either. (Emma from The Crown for example.)

I don't think this dress suits her at all, the extra gatherings of volume at the waist, or the black sweater.  No need for nastiness about weight though.  She looks like a giant Christmas bell ornament.

ETA, anyone would.

ETA again.  It's kind of funny that it's yellow, when Penelope complains so much about her mother choosing yellow dresses for her.  

Edited by Umbelina
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, Umbelina said:

There were some pretty strange outfits, usual for the Golden Globes though.  "Fat girl" is unbelievably nasty.

It's more the dress than the sweater, but together?  Not great.

Which, unlike the high school bully tweet is totally valid. That ruching is certainly a choice. I didn't even notice it in the embedded Instagram post in the article.

6 minutes ago, Umbelina said:

ETA again.  It's kind of funny that it's yellow, when Penelope complains so much about her mother choosing yellow dresses for her.  

Hee.

• Love 2
30 minutes ago, bijoux said:

Which, unlike the high school bully tweet is totally valid. That ruching is certainly a choice. I didn't even notice it in the embedded Instagram post in the article.

Hee.

It's hard to imagine that dress looking good on anyone.  

Maybe if you were 6'2, weighed 110, and it had a drop to the butt back, and definitely, no black sweater.  Even then though?  I doubt it.

• Love 1

Who called her a "fat girl"?  They need some nasty blow-back for that.   I think I saw Nicola on one of those celebrity British Bake Offs.  I remember her being tiny, barely 5 foot tall.  She is a very petite and curvy woman, very pretty.

Not even a six foot tall super model could make that dress look flattering.

• Love 4
On 3/2/2021 at 12:00 PM, Umbelina said:

nicola-coughlan-yellow-dress-2021-goldenIt's more the dress than the sweater, but together?  Not great.

That said, I don't really like what some considered "the best" either. (Emma from The Crown for example.)

I don't think this dress suits her at all, the extra gatherings of volume at the waist, or the black sweater.  No need for nastiness about weight though.  She looks like a giant Christmas bell ornament.

ETA, anyone would.

This looks like one of those Barbie gown cakes, only they shoved the Barbie down too far.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
On 3/2/2021 at 3:39 PM, Umbelina said:

It's hard to imagine that dress looking good on anyone.  

Maybe if you were 6'2, weighed 110, and it had a drop to the butt back, and definitely, no black sweater.  Even then though?  I doubt it.

Rosamund Pike wore a similar dress by the same designer, styled differently--

https://tomandlorenzo.com/2021/03/golden-globes-i-care-a-lot-star-rosamund-pike-in-molly-goddard-style-fashion/

• Love 1
(edited)
58 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Rosamund Pike wore a similar dress by the same designer, styled differently--

https://tomandlorenzo.com/2021/03/golden-globes-i-care-a-lot-star-rosamund-pike-in-molly-goddard-style-fashion/

Interesting, 9 extra inches in height helped, (probably 14 extra inches when you count those boots!)  and this one didn't have the bizarre extra ruching right in a row at the waist, it's more random throughout on the red one.

I think the bare shoulders, and huge combat boots helped this odd dress, which?  In motion actually looked kind of fun to wear with those random kicks and swings.  

Different body types, colors, styling, and attitudes.  I didn't HATE the red one, but I think it's because the actress (in the video at least) had so much fun with it.  

Then again, if Nicola tried those high side kicks in the yellow dress I think she's just look even more like a bell, only this one ringing.  

Edited by Umbelina
On 3/5/2021 at 1:13 PM, janie jones said:

Yeah, I think it's equally unflattering on both people, and I don't have a problem with either of their overall styling.

Those dresses were bad bad bad. No amount of styling, etc would help. LOL

• Love 2

Producers Guild of America nomination!

Norman Felton Award for Outstanding Producer of Episodic Television

“Better Call Saul” (AMC) – Season 5
Producers: eligibility determination pending

“Bridgerton” – (Netflix) – Season 1
Producers: eligibility determination pending

“The Crown” (Netflix) – Season 4
Producers: Peter Morgan, Suzanne Mackie, Stephen Daldry, Andy Harries, Benjamin Caron, Matthew Byam Shaw, Robert Fox, Michael Casey, Andy Stebbing, Martin Harrison, Oona O’Beirn

“The Mandalorian” (Disney Plus) – Season 2
Producers: Jon Favreau, Dave Filoni, Kathleen Kennedy, Colin Wilson, Karen Gilchrist, John Bartnicki, Carrie Beck

“Ozark” (Netflix) – Season 3
Producers: Jason Bateman, Chris Mundy, Bill Dubuque, Mark Williams, Patrick Markey, John Shiban, Miki Johnson, Matthew Spiegel, Erin Mitchell, Martin Zimmerman, Peter Thorell

• Love 2

It is an April Fool's Day joke.  It says so at the end of the article.  Maybe they just added that? 

It wouldn't make sense even if they didn't say it was a prank because they just announced the casting for the female lead for S2 and there's no way that Netflix would release another season so soon after the first season.  They'd probably set it for Christmas Day again since it did so well around that time.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Door County Cherry said:

It is an April Fool's Day joke.  It says so at the end of the article.  Maybe they just added that? 

It wouldn't make sense even if they didn't say it was a prank because they just announced the casting for the female lead for S2 and there's no way that Netflix would release another season so soon after the first season.  They'd probably set it for Christmas Day again since it did so well around that time.

They did add the April Fool's after.  My friend forwarded it to me and was super excited.  I read it twice very confused.  Came here for confirmation that I wasn't losing my mind.... should have just waited a few hours. LOL

• Love 3
(edited)

I wondered how they would keep Simon and Daphne involved in the series now that their story was told, since it would be expensive to keep the actors on as secondary characters. Well, here's an answer: No Simon in Season 2

‘Bridgerton’ Breakout Regé-Jean Page Will Not Appear in Season 2

“We’ll miss Simon’s presence onscreen, but he will always be a part of the Bridgerton family,” it continued. “Daphne will remain a devoted wife and sister, helping her brother navigate the upcoming social season and what it has to offer – more intrigue and romance than my readers may be able to bear.”

In fact, the short-term commitment was a big part of the role’s appeal, Page tells Variety exclusively.

“It’s a one-season arc. It’s going to have a beginning, middle, end – give us a year,” Page says, recounting early conversations with Shondaland producers, who approached him about the role of Simon after “For the People” wrapped up. “[I thought] ‘That’s interesting,’ because then it felt like a limited series. I get to come in, I get to contribute my bit and then the Bridgerton family rolls on.”

Edited by TheOtherOne

I enjoyed his scenes with Anthony in the first season so I'm sad we won't be getting those in the second. 

Mod Hat Part: BTW, I'm moving some of the talk to the book thread since we're talking about specific events.  Don't forget to spoiler tag Book 2 events if you want to mention them in here. 

Otherwise, book thread!

• Love 2