Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: No Looking Back

• Start Topic

11 hours ago, Auntie Anxiety said:

Yeah, he’s going to need to trade that little scooter in for a FAMILY VAAAAAAN (tm Vicki on RHOC).

Not necessarily.  Hubby dug out this picture for me; he took it in Vietnam.  I know that's not Korea, but they are also a society that uses a lot of motor scooters.

Capture.JPG

• Useful 1
  • LOL 5
  • Love 3

@Pepper Mostly, serious question:  how is Salem magical?  I have never been there, so interested to hear.  My uneducated view is the town would be a bit "heavy" with the whole murderous history associated with it.

And I would have tried to ask this in a small talk thread but didn't see one for this show. 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, sainte-chapelle said:

Have you seen mother Deavens blog? She thinks they are descendants from Salem Witches and loves it when her daughter poses as a Wiccan Pincess. She is an anti vaxxer conspiracy theory nut job.

No way!!!! I seriously had no idea! It just sounded Wiccan to me, lol

• Love 3
1 hour ago, NannyBails said:

@Pepper Mostly, serious question:  how is Salem magical?  I have never been there, so interested to hear.  My uneducated view is the town would be a bit "heavy" with the whole murderous history associated with it.

And I would have tried to ask this in a small talk thread but didn't see one for this show. 

I'll message you

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Pepper Mostly said:

Given the opportunity, these days I would flee the US. Korea is not a third world country. Devean is 22, at her age I can see her wanting the adventure. Even though the fact that she has a kid should make her more cautious, obviously it doesn't. 

Oh, that's precious. She does know that the people imprisoned and executed in Salem were INNOCENT, right? Oh, I kill me. Of course she doesn't. 

I live in Salem. We have lots of Wiccans here. But everyone knows that there's no connection between the innocent people who were persecuted in 1692 and the modern witches who are here because they are drawn to the energy of the town. (it is a magical place!)

And of course she's an anti vaxxer. Of course she is. She's probably into essential oils, crystals, and ley lines. She is nutty as an Almond Joy and I cannot wait to see her blossom in her full, crackpot glory. 

This is on my bucket list of places to visit.  I have always felt drawn to it.  

• Love 3
15 hours ago, iwasish said:

I think Deavan is a lot like her daughter. She wants to be the rebellious free thinking, free spirit and that’s great, but to what end? 

Nothing wrong with that if you are not dragging your kids along with you on your adventure.  Otherwise, it’s just selfish and narcissistic behavior.   She just another fame whore wannabe.  

13 hours ago, MajorNelson said:

I think there's a creditable idea that she can escape fringy Mormon relatives, escape living with her parents and sibling,

Naw.   She just wants to be on TV.   She will be running home soon enough with baby number two, looking for baby daddy number three.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Natalie68 said:

This is on my bucket list of places to visit.  I have always felt drawn to it.  

Let me know when you do decide to visit! I'll let you know all the good places to go!

I moved here in 1986. I'm from the area and had friends who lived here, and I had such a great time when I came here to visit I decided to move here. Absolutely no regrets! 

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, Pepper Mostly said:

Let me know when you do decide to visit! I'll let you know all the good places to go!

I moved here in 1986. I'm from the area and had friends who lived here, and I had such a great time when I came here to visit I decided to move here. Absolutely no regrets! 

THANK YOU!!!!  Will do!  I have even thought it would be a place I would consider moving.  Which is weird because I don't like cold weather.  It just has a draw!

• Love 2
8 hours ago, sainte-chapelle said:

Have you seen mother Deavens blog? She thinks they are descendants from Salem Witches and loves it when her daughter poses as a Wiccan Pincess. She is an anti vaxxer conspiracy theory nut job.

Reasonably sure all the Salem witches were executed before having children, so no.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Natalie68 said:

THANK YOU!!!!  Will do!  I have even thought it would be a place I would consider moving.  Which is weird because I don't like cold weather.  It just has a draw!

It is a wonderful place. Its not perfect--the public transportation options leave a lot to be desired, for example. And yeah, its New England, it gets cold. And if you rely heavily on your car, its hard to get in and out of an old, congested city. Parking is tough. I don't drive myself so I'm not affected but those who do never stop complaining about it. Schools are so-so. The elementary schools run the gamut from great to bleh. We have a public charter school which is great. We have a good mayor. Its a diverse community and its welcoming and inclusive. I hope you do come and visit some day! 

• Love 4
21 hours ago, Adultosaurus said:

Drascilla? WTF with that spelling? 

So that poor child will spend the rest of her life spelling out her name when she meets people.

• LOL 2
19 minutes ago, Mothra said:

So that poor child will spend the rest of her life spelling out her name when she meets people.

Like mother, like daughter.  “Deaven” isn’t a spelling I am familiar with either.

I don't think Deaven’s parents were/are big on discipline either so I find it hard to fault Deaven completely for the way Drascilla behaves on the show.  My first thought had been she was acting up for the cameras, but who knows. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Pepper Mostly said:

It is a wonderful place. Its not perfect--the public transportation options leave a lot to be desired, for example. And yeah, its New England, it gets cold. And if you rely heavily on your car, its hard to get in and out of an old, congested city. Parking is tough. I don't drive myself so I'm not affected but those who do never stop complaining about it.

I’ve only gone in by train from Boston the two times I was there!  It really is a lovely place to visit, second time we went in October near Halloween which was very different from our summer visit a decade earlier!

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Pepper Mostly said:

I loved visiting Salem in 1987 when my husband was at Hanscom AFB.  I would take the train up for day trips.  I did all the tourist stuff and really enjoyed visiting the House of Seven Gables.  Maybe we passed each other on the street.   A few years later Mr Twopper was in a production of The Crucible so he was glad we had visited.  

• Love 2
6 hours ago, LGGirl said:

Nothing wrong with that if you are not dragging your kids along with you on your adventure.  Otherwise, it’s just selfish and narcissistic behavior.   She just another fame whore wannabe.  

Naw.   She just wants to be on TV.   She will be running home soon enough with baby number two, looking for baby daddy number three.

New TLC show idea: Devan finds naive and lonely men from different countries and sees how many of them she can pin a baby on.

It would be interesting to see what she could get away with.  Obviously she will have to use her catfishing filter photos to lure them in.  

But, if she wears loose clothes can she get a guy to believe he is the father of she is like 4 months along?  5?  Apparently no one knew her homegirl Tiffany was preggers until she dropped her kid, so she could maybe get away with it up until like 7 or 8 months.

• Love 2
(edited)

In my first post I referred to these people as loons.  Having seen a second full episode of this show, I realize I owe an apology to loons.  These people are, in the wise words of Bugs Bunny, maroons.  But I guess everyone posting here already knows that.

Wow!! this forum is so educational.  I have learned 3 new terms just reading the post for this episode--incel, 4x4, and hot sheet hotel.   There is another synonym for hot sheet hotel that i have heard, but I cannot pull it out of my memory banks at the moment.  

I am bitterly disappointed that Ludwing was not in this episode. 

I am still most interested in Sumit and Jenny.  It cracked me up that she doesn't want to be seen as "auntie" when she is already a "granny."  She and Sumit will have conflicts if she stubbornly insists on remaining American in India.  I am sure the shopping trip and conflict it produced was producer -driven.  I am sure she can find a good compromise of American and Indian clothing to wear.  I had clothes in college in the 70's that had an Indian look to them.  What did she wear in India on that first trip to blend in?  Will she insist on American food?  How did she get around New Delhi on that first visit without riding in a rickshaw?  So many questions!!   I don't think Sumit is all that bad looking except for his teeth.  

I will have to ff thru any more of Corey and Evelyn.  He seems really dim and she seems to be a major bitch.   He almost always seems to have a smirk on his face.

I think Ronald's mom is counting on Tiffany "fixing" Ronald, and she will turn on Tiff if Ronald lapses.   Daniel seems like a really bright and sweet child.  I think some of what he saw on the road reminded him of sketchy areas in the states (perhaps in Baltimore).  I loved his remark "Africa is so random."

So far I like Daniel and Ludwing.

Edited by Twopper
  • LOL 1
  • Love 8
(edited)

Drusilla never stood a chance the moment her mother named her. Anyone seen Buffy? Drusilla was a crazy, murdering vampire. There's a very high chance she named her after that character, because you don't just pull that name out of thin air.

She knew and she did it anyway. Set that poor child up to fail from the jump.

Edited by rideashire
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
On 6/25/2019 at 11:01 PM, kanona29 said:

Way too late for that....

lol

Jenny needs to see that YouTube hair/makeup stylist who does spectacular makeovers on older women . Can’t think of his name but this ‘ol fuddy duddy needs it badly 

• LOL 1
(edited)
On 6/27/2019 at 11:32 PM, HappyDancex2 said:

But they had exciting protection less sex.  And her five year old loves to cook.

That little demon spawn/chef is only three.

Edited by magemaud
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, rideashire said:

Drusilla never stood a chance the moment her mother named her. Anyone seen Buffy? Drusilla was a crazy, murdering vampire. There's a very high chance she named her after that character, because you don't just pull that name out of thin air.

She knew and she did it anyway. Set that poor child up to fail from the jump.

Loved that show, watched it in reruns and have the box set so YES when I hear that name it’s where my mind goes first!  

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Adultosaurus said:

Fun fact - women who didn't menstruate (menopause, illness) were thought to be evil because periods meant that evil was being released from inherently evil women regularly. Once a woman was not having that evil released it would build up in her.

Ah, men.

I also read that women who dared to disobey their husbands might be 'bewitched'. Good times.

• Love 3
On 6/27/2019 at 11:32 PM, HappyDancex2 said:

But they had exciting protection less sex.  And her five year old loves to cook.

Jihoon was shocked that 3 weeks of steady unprotected sex was enough for Deavan to become pregnant. I guess sex ed in S Korea  isn’t a priority.

• LOL 5
  • Love 3
14 hours ago, ThereButFor said:

Like mother, like daughter.  “Deaven” isn’t a spelling I am familiar with either.

I don't think Deaven’s parents were/are big on discipline either so I find it hard to fault Deaven completely for the way Drascilla behaves on the show.  My first thought had been she was acting up for the cameras, but who knows. 

Agreed.  And when Deaven listed common Mormon names that she would not name her child, she list "Neveah," a name we've come across in this series, and I guess it was a Mormon.  But some smart person here pointed out that "Neveah" is "Heaven" spelled backward.  Well, that right there gives me pause.  Does that mean "Neveah" is the opposite of heaven?  Then what in hell is Deaven?  "nevaed" spelled backward?  "Nevada?"  God in neveah only knows.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 6
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, iwasish said:

Jihoon was shocked that 3 weeks of steady unprotected sex was enough for Deavan to become pregnant. I guess sex ed in S Korea  isn’t a priority.

I wouldn't be surprised if she INSISTED she was on birth control and being naive and gullable he bought it.  Dumb.  And frankly scary, BC doesn't protect from STDs.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Mothra said:

Agreed.  And when Deaven listed common Mormon names that she would not name her child, she list "Neveah," a name we've come across in this series, and I guess it was a Mormon.  But some smart person here pointed out that "Neveah" is "Heaven" spelled backward.  Well, that right there gives me pause.  Does that mean "Neveah" is the opposite of heaven?  Then what in hell is Deaven?  "nevaed" spelled backward?  "Nevada?"  God in neveah only knows.

Deaven is heaven for the D-List.

• LOL 9
  • Love 4

Deaden seems confused on the concept of anchor babying a guy.  You want lifestyle and child support.  Else kids are really expensive and tiring if you are just using them as the by product of hooking up and telling a guy you are knocked up.  She looks the type that loves that thrill.

Im going to leave that autocorrect LOL 

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, KateHearts said:

no-tell motel?

There was a motel like that in my hometown.  It was called the Century Motel and the rumour was:  "We rent by the quarter hour!"  Not sure if it was true.......

Has anyone seen the promo for the crop of couples?  Dude is unpacking stuff for his "fiance" and it includes chocolate underwear/thongs/panties/whatever.  A stack of them!!! Guy, unless she asked for those.....don't buy as a gift.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, Mothra said:

"Neveah" is a name I see on the Maury paternity shows a lot. Take from that what you will.

• LOL 6
  • Love 6
(edited)
On 6/28/2019 at 4:00 PM, BoomerRumor said:

Reasonably sure all the Salem witches were executed before having children, so no.

No,  I am a descendent of Martha Allen Carrier. She had ,I believe, 5 kids. They were also imprisoned, tortured and forced to testify against their mother. Others also had kids. A few were older males, including Giles Corey who had many kids.

Edited by JennyMominFL
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

There was a motel like that in my hometown.  It was called the Century Motel and the rumour was:  "We rent by the quarter hour!"  Not sure if it was true.......

In Pasadena there was a motel that advertised on the radio: "Three hours, six hours, or even overnight!"

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

Has anyone seen the promo for the crop of couples?  Dude is unpacking stuff for his "fiance" and it includes chocolate underwear/thongs/panties/whatever.  A stack of them!!! Guy, unless she asked for those.....don't buy as a gift.

Quarter hour?  LOL, yeah, I'm not interested in getting a room with a man who only needs a quarter hour!

• LOL 9
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, RealReality said:

Quarter hour?  LOL, yeah, I'm not interested in getting a room with a man who only needs a quarter hour!

Yes, but if he only needed 38 minutes they would only round it up to 45 minutes instead of having to pay for the whole hour!  This is a bargain!

• LOL 6
  • Love 1

Korea may seem exotic to Deaven, and it is, but living in a very tiny space with other people in a very crowded city can get old fast. The sardining only works because people have mastered the ability to be unobtrusive and tend to their inner self. Deaven may not be able to do this, and Dracilla, well . . . .  People do spend a lot of time outside of their homes, so I suspect Jihoon and Deaven will be hitting the bars frequently. Parents Jihoon will babysit? I still can't see this working, but I'm sure there will be lots of adventure and drama to film.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 6/28/2019 at 10:06 PM, Twopper said:

In my first post I referred to these people as loons.  Having seen a second full episode of this show, I realize I owe an apology to loons.  These people are, in the wise words of Bugs Bunny, maroons.  But I guess everyone posting here already knows that.

Wow!! this forum is so educational.  I have learned 3 new terms just reading the post for this episode--incel, 4x4, and hot sheet hotel.   There is another synonym for hot sheet hotel that i have heard, but I cannot pull it out of my memory banks at the moment.  

I am bitterly disappointed that Ludwing was not in this episode. 

I am still most interested in Sumit and Jenny.  It cracked me up that she doesn't want to be seen as "auntie" when she is already a "granny."  She and Sumit will have conflicts if she stubbornly insists on remaining American in India.  I am sure the shopping trip and conflict it produced was producer -driven.  I am sure she can find a good compromise of American and Indian clothing to wear.  I had clothes in college in the 70's that had an Indian look to them.  What did she wear in India on that first trip to blend in?  Will she insist on American food?  How did she get around New Delhi on that first visit without riding in a rickshaw?  So many questions!!   I don't think Sumit is all that bad looking except for his teeth.  

I will have to ff thru any more of Corey and Evelyn.  He seems really dim and she seems to be a major bitch.   He almost always seems to have a smirk on his face.

I think Ronald's mom is counting on Tiffany "fixing" Ronald, and she will turn on Tiff if Ronald lapses.   Daniel seems like a really bright and sweet child.  I think some of what he saw on the road reminded him of sketchy areas in the states (perhaps in Baltimore).  I loved his remark "Africa is so random."

So far I like Daniel and Ludwing.

My guess would be that Daniel saw plenty of sketchiness right in downtown Frederick, MD.  

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
21 hours ago, JennyMominFL said:

No,  I am a descendent of Martha Allen Carrier. She had ,I believe, 5 kids. They were also imprisoned, tortured and forced to testify against their mother. Others also had kids. A few were older males, including Giles Corey who had many kids.

The Salem witches weren’t actually witches though, correct? They wouldn’t confess to a lie so they were executed. So, if Deaven or her mother are trying to claim some kind of magical bloodline, they’d be mistaken. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Nowhere said:

The Salem witches weren’t actually witches though, correct? They wouldn’t confess to a lie so they were executed. So, if Deaven or her mother are trying to claim some kind of magical bloodline, they’d be mistaken. 

Definitely not. They were often women on the fringes.. vulnerable. Martha Carrier had the bad luck of moving to a town at the start of a smallpox epidemic and she was blamed for it. There was also a rumor that her husband Thomas was the secret executioner of Charles 1.. Add to that she was an outspoken women when women were meant to be silent and she becomes victim number one. More than 200 people were accused of witchcraft in the trials. It was insanity

23 hours ago, BradandJanet said:

Korea may seem exotic to Deaven, and it is, but living in a very tiny space with other people in a very crowded city can get old fast. The sardining only works because people have mastered the ability to be unobtrusive and tend to their inner self. Deaven may not be able to do this, and Dracilla, well . . . .  People do spend a lot of time outside of their homes, so I suspect Jihoon and Deaven will be hitting the bars frequently. Parents Jihoon will babysit? I still can't see this working, but I'm sure there will be lots of adventure and drama to film.  

I remember in the old days parents used to put a "nip o' brandy" in a child's bottle to help them sleep.  

I'm not going to assume that this is how jihoons parents would deal with druscilla, but I wouldn't be surprised if they got desperate enough to do whatever they could think of to quell her.

As you say, in a country that packed, neighbors may not be as..... understanding.

15 hours ago, JennyMominFL said:

Definitely not. They were often women on the fringes.. vulnerable. Martha Carrier had the bad luck of moving to a town at the start of a smallpox epidemic and she was blamed for it. There was also a rumor that her husband Thomas was the secret executioner of Charles 1.. Add to that she was an outspoken women when women were meant to be silent and she becomes victim number one. More than 200 people were accused of witchcraft in the trials. It was insanity

I had understood that many women who were healers, medicine women, or midwives were accused because healing someone was like witchcraft.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, RealReality said:

I remember in the old days parents used to put a "nip o' brandy" in a child's bottle to help them sleep.  

I'm not going to assume that this is how jihoons parents would deal with druscilla, but I wouldn't be surprised if they got desperate enough to do whatever they could think of to quell her.

As you say, in a country that packed, neighbors may not be as..... understanding.

I had understood that many women who were healers, medicine women, or midwives were accused because healing someone was like witchcraft.

This was true in many many witch trials but actually occurred less in Salem than in other witch trials

• Useful 1
23 hours ago, readheaded said:

My guess would be that Daniel saw plenty of sketchiness right in downtown Frederick, MD.  

Tiff may have had experience with someone in recovery, Frederick is full of herion addicts, chances are this South African guy's addiction is nothing new for her and does not see red flags when she looks at him.

Frederick is sometimes referred to as Fredneck.

• Love 1

Ecuador-Washington guy is so obviously a target you just gotta laugh. Apparently he gets to her town, she just boinks him for six months, $40K richer, which prolly goes a long way in Ecuador. Wotta maroon. At least he can return to that stunning forest-y family compound, he's not completely out of luck, and his parents seem very nice and reasonable.

• LOL 2