Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E06: A Salt and Battery

• Start Topic

32 minutes ago, tranquilidade said:

I found the treatment of Craig very stressful to watch and not funny at all.  Shep and Whitney seemed to be sitting back letting Craig and Austen do all the work then criticized it.  If Whitney had this diet, I don't understand how the food supply didn't include things he would eat.  Calling Madison White Trash is disturbing.  Why add White? Does he talk about other trash with a different adjective?  It makes me very uncomfortable with him now. 

Not defending it, but white trash is an expression.

• Love 8
48 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Who knows. Perhaps it’s a memorial to a jockey who saved their horses during the war. 

I’m not trying to be controversial here. I realize they are offensive to many. 

My friend named his house Seabiscuit because it's right by the beach (literally - second house in on the beach block) and he liked the movie and thought it was clever.  He has lawn jockeys in Howard livery.  One jockey is black, one is white.  If you have horses, it's just a thing.

44 minutes ago, TexasGal said:

So I get Whitney and Shep sort of tag teaming at Austen and Craig.  They never take into account that Craig is not built to withstand the teasing they dish out.  He takes it personally, and then they sort of feed on the energy and it becomes a vicious circle.  I will be surprised if the next episode doesn't start with Shep and/or Whit going to apologize to Craig and then he comes back out and everything is fine.

This, exactly.  And I dislike Craig.  But I sympathize with him as being the whipping boy is a shit position to be in. 

44 minutes ago, tranquilidade said:

Is it possible that Kathryn has a low IQ? I'm not trying to be mean,  I am just  shocked at her lack of common sense and inability to do common tasks with any competence. Even her table manners make it look like she was raised by wolves.  She put her expensive china in a microwave- risky thing to do for someone who says she loves it.  She points to the microwave with her leg telling the date to get the food.   Scary.  She also talks very slowly, like she can't think quickly.  Maybe that's not relevant I don't know.

I think it's two things, 1) a lack of life experience because she was young and dumb and hooked up with an older man when she had her babies and kind of missed out on the whole college-post-college blowing up stuff in the microwave because you don't know how to adult phase and 2) an affectation to make sure we're all paying attention. 

• Love 12

After watching again I wonder....why is the potential nanny's belief in astrology important? Is she expected to consult Palmer's horoscope for something? If Palmer is a certain sign and the nanny isn't compatable with said sign is that a deal breaker for Cam? Okay, only kidding but really?

• Love 10
(edited)

I tuned in for Whitney, for whom I have a slight soft spot (despite his privilege, I think he had a tough childhood).

But he and Shep are Shiftless Rich Thugs with Privilege Pretensions. Shep especially goes for the jugular and becomes obsessed in his hatred of people; right now he's obsessed with Madison, and his Craig-hate is always lurking under the surface. In the South, calling someone white trash, or common, is a very low blow. This is truly what happens to the character of people who are spoiled with nothing to do. Shep seems like a miserable human being with an anger problem.

If Whitney slept with Kathryn again, it has to be because he's trying to counter the whispers about his sexuality. Or it's a lie that she's agreed to go along with as part of her storyline.

Chelsea and Madison: positioning themselves for a spin-off, 'cause they recognize this show is losing steam.

Kathryn is kind of useless, in that she appears to have minimal life skills beyond searching for wallets. Yet she has pressed for full custody of two defenseless children. When she isn't screeching at someone, her affect is very flat. She's either medicated or stoned.

Regarding preschool, I thought Cameran clearly indicated she is already working part-time and I guess wants to increase her hours. She's playing up the "nervous first-time mother" thing for the cameras.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Love 24

Is Thomas not allowing Kathryn to film with her kids?  Seems spiteful, since he was perfectly okay with it before getting fired.

I didn't know the story behind lawn jockeys, but the mere mention of the word 'plantation' makes me uncomfortable.  Maybe I'm just too Northern...

• Love 9
10 minutes ago, pasdetrois said:

In the South, calling someone white trash, or common, is a very low blow. This is truly what happens to the character of people who are spoiled with nothing to do. He seems like a miserable human being with an anger problem

I know the term doesn't 'apply' to people who have money, but Shep is the trashy one.  Sloppy drunk, misogynist, has unprotected sex with randos.... Yuck.  He looks like he smells bad too.

• Love 15

It disturbed me to hear how Shep also abused his younger brother and how he found this funny.  I wonder how his younger brother feels today about that alleged mistreatment.  (What an entitled POS he is.)  Shep  is showing a very dark side.  I don't like his attitude towards women either.  I would not go so far as to call him a misogynist, but he objectifies women and seems to see them as inferior to men.  His attitude towards Madison is an example of this.  What does he contribute to the world that makes him so great?  His sperm?  So far that hasn't amounted to anything either. 

• Love 18

I've never really understood why people were so quick to defend Craig, as he's been shown to be one of the laziest people I've ever seen in "action."  For someone who has had such incredible opportunities handed to him as a result of this show, he certainly doesn't seem to grasp how fortunate he is and instead is wasting it all with no foresight to recognize that one day, all of this will go away, and he'll then be left to his own devices.

However, even I was cringing at how horribly Shep and Whitney treated him while he was trying to build the fire and cook for everyone.  I felt sorry for him, and admired how well he controlled himself.  I didn't blame him in the least for retreating to the motorhome to get away from them, and was impressed that he didn't lower himself to their levels in retaliation.  He certainly would have been within his rights to do so.

Patricia cracks me up with her fast-food love.

And Tyson needs his own show.  Maybe the cat from the sporting goods store could costar.  I was so hoping one of the guys would ask the store clerk about it!

• LOL 1
  • Love 16
13 minutes ago, tranquilidade said:

I looked up the origin and story of the lawn jockey and it is inconclusive.  One interesting site for those curious: 

https://www.ferris.edu/HTMLS/news/jimcrow/question/2008/july.htm

My favorite line in the article was “tradional lawn warts”. It was describing their lack of enthusiasm over things that place on their landscapes such as garden gnomes, pink flamingos etc.. Thanks for the link. It was an interesting read. 

• Love 5

I remember when some people in the South started whitewashing their lawn jockeys, literally. They bought paint and painted over the dark skin. Neighborhood busybodies would track who did and who didn't.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
(edited)
5 minutes ago, Hockey Addict said:

When Kathryn mentioned her grandmother I thought back to that episode where she went to ask her for advice. Didn't K say the grandma also married a politician? Interesting.

Her grandfather was a State Senator but died the year she was born so she didn’t know him.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Hockey Addict said:

After watching again I wonder....why is the potential nanny's belief in astrology important? Is she expected to consult Palmer's horoscope for something? If Palmer is a certain sign and the nanny isn't compatable with said sign is that a deal breaker for Cam? Okay, only kidding but really?

I thought it was a cute question...she and Palmer are both Scorpios. I wonder if that worries her lol.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, chewycandy said:

Cam always dresses up her jeans with the prettiest tops.

Her flowered top was the first item I've ever looked up to see what it was.  Of course it is sold out and very expensive.  So pretty!

The only other thing I got from that episode is that Patricia and I both love the Costco hot dog deal.

• LOL 2
  • Love 7
7 minutes ago, jmcd44 said:

The only other thing I got from that episode is that Patricia and I both love the Costco hot dog deal.

Who doesn’t. What I want to know is if Patricia actually goes into Costco or Michael brings it out to her? 

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
17 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Who doesn’t. What I want to know is if Patricia actually goes into Costco or Michael brings it out to her? 

She does go inside she occasionally IGs their Costco trips.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6
1 minute ago, biakbiak said:

She does go inside she occasionally IGs their Costco trips.

They have those in a magazine that can be picked up near where the hot dogs are sold. I just can’t picture her sitting at one of those communal picnic tables. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

They have those in a magazine that can be picked up near where the hot dogs are sold. I just can’t picture her sitting at one of those communal picnic tables. 

The idea of Ms. Pat sitting in Costco flipping through those vacation and water heater pamphlets cracks me up.

• LOL 10
  • Love 2

I think our Season 1 Kathryn Calhoun Dennis was a put up job. I highly doubt that this woman grew up as Southern royalty if she has no idea how to do anything slightly genteel.  She actually does seem to be of rather low IQ but maybe it is drugs.  As much as I’d like to believe in karma, I doubt that if Shep never changes the way he lives he will suffer any negative consequences. Current history suggests that the worse rich men treat people, the more they prosper. Sad but true.

• Love 6
Just now, Mindthinkr said:

Costco Travel magazines. They show the trips they offer, deals and special rates. I actually took one and did save a substantial amount of money. 

I meant she IGs her shopping trips to Costco like going through the aisles not that she books her travel through Costco. That I can’t imagine.

3 hours ago, tranquilidade said:

Is it possible that Kathryn has a low IQ? I'm not trying to be mean,  I am just  shocked at her lack of common sense and inability to do common tasks with any competence. Even her table manners make it look like she was raised by wolves.  She put her expensive china in a microwave- risky thing to do for someone who says she loves it.  She points to the microwave with her leg telling the date to get the food.   Scary.  She also talks very slowly, like she can't think quickly.  Maybe that's not relevant I don't know.

In terms of her hair, it looks like she adds hair to cover what might be roots or a bald spot.  It does not look natural or good.

On the topic of Shep, he comes off badly in this episode, and I'm not sure for me he can recover.  

And on top of that she doesn't even know how to set a simple table (everything backwards).

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

I meant she IGs her shopping trips to Costco like going through the aisles not that she books her travel through Costco. That I can’t imagine.

Oh, I’m sorry. I misread your reply. It all makes sense now. (I have a head cold...not processing too fast.) 

• Love 2

Does anyone else find it odd that Cameron is allowed to keep her husband off the show?  I'm not asking whether there is precedent for it.  I'm not asking whether anyone thinks she should be axed, but does anyone find it odd?  It's really of no moment to me not whether Jason is absent because he's a physician, naturally shy or too busy solving cold fusion.  He's Cameran's husband and we never met him.  That's...not right. 

Also, does anyone find Cameran's missing husband to be a notch weirder than the rest of the cast supposedly not showing us their "entire real lives"?  I mean, when we say "entire lives," I don't want their entire lives, never said I did.  I don't want to see them going to the bathroom, I don't need to see them filling their cars with petrol or paying bills online, and I don't need to see them showering (you hear me on that last one, Bravo?!?)  But what is, for example, Naomie, not sharing that is as big as a spouse?  What is Austen holding back?  Are Chelsea and Craig secretly married?  How is anyone shielding the audience from their real life the way that Cameran is?  

When Whitney appeared reluctant to show the vast bulk of his personal life, he did what I consider the right thing and took a backseat on the show, which resulted in mere guest appearances.  Am I alone in thinking this?

Because sometimes...

72550239-CC3A-4DEA-89A2-EA04FA382ECB-1694-00000144C0A32DCC.thumb.jpg.be5fe97dd7850f4c5aa410be199f445e.jpg

I think if you are on a reality show, then you should have to show your reality, including your spouse and children.  The only time I would be willing to employ a balancing test is if there is a court order preventing someone from showing their minor children.  Then I would look at each individual person and decide whether they bring enough to the show (like Tamra Barney and Bethenny Frankel--even though I hate them, they deliver).  If someone is not delivering heartily, and they keep an entire major portion of their lives off the show, I think they should be gone.  There are too many sacred cows around these Bravo franchises.  Just move on.  

I mean, can anyone imagine the people who would be willing to film if the casting call went out:  "Petite dirty blonde who married into some wealth from the greater Charleston area wanted.  No need to get hands dirty.  No need to say or do anything controversial.  Just show up to drink, narrate the damn thing and show your spawn and your husband."  I think there would literally be hundreds of women willing to fill Cameran's spot, and there would likely be several dozen who are far more interesting.  Next!

• Love 6
6 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Costco Travel magazines. They show the trips they offer, deals and special rates. I actually took one and did save a substantial amount of money. 

I bought a 2019 Subaru Forrester through Costco and paid $500 over the dealership price (not the price in the window).  Did not have to haggle at all.

Now I'm envisioning a room in Patricia's house, filled with rolls of Costco toilet paper.

And rotisserie chicken night.

• LOL 4
  • Love 4
2 minutes ago, LibertarianSlut said:

Does anyone else find it odd that Cameron is allowed to keep her husband off the show?  I'm not asking whether there is precedent for it.  I'm not asking whether anyone thinks she should be axed, but does anyone find it odd?  It's really of no moment to me not whether Jason is absent because he's a physician, naturally shy or too busy solving cold fusion.  He's Cameran's husband and we never met him.  That's...not right. 

Also, does anyone find Cameran's missing husband to be a notch weirder than the rest of the cast supposedly not showing us their "entire real lives"?  I mean, when we say "entire lives," I don't want their entire lives, never said I did.  I don't want to see them going to the bathroom, I don't need to see them filling their cars with petrol or paying bills online, and I don't need to see them showering (you hear me on that last one, Bravo?!?)  But what is, for example, Naomie, not sharing that is as big as a spouse?  What is Austen holding back?  Are Chelsea and Craig secretly married?  How is anyone shielding the audience from their real life the way that Cameran is?  

When Whitney appeared reluctant to show the vast bulk of his personal life, he did what I consider the right thing and took a backseat on the show, which resulted in mere guest appearances.  Am I alone in thinking this?

Because sometimes...

72550239-CC3A-4DEA-89A2-EA04FA382ECB-1694-00000144C0A32DCC.thumb.jpg.be5fe97dd7850f4c5aa410be199f445e.jpg

I think if you are on a reality show, then you should have to show your reality, including your spouse and children.  The only time I would be willing to employ a balancing test is if there is a court order preventing someone from showing their minor children.  Then I would look at each individual person and decide whether they bring enough to the show (like Tamra Barney and Bethenny Frankel--even though I hate them, they deliver).  If someone is not delivering heartily, and they keep an entire major portion of their lives off the show, I think they should be gone.  There are too many sacred cows around these Bravo franchises.  Just move on.  

I mean, can anyone imagine the people who would be willing to film if the casting call went out:  "Petite dirty blonde who married into some wealth from the greater Charleston area wanted.  No need to get hands dirty.  No need to say or do anything controversial.  Just show up to drink, narrate the damn thing and show your spawn and your husband."  I think there would literally be hundreds of women willing to fill Cameran's spot, and there would likely be several dozen who are far more interesting.  Next!

I think what helps Cameron is that she started the show single and got married later.

I find it hilarious that Jason is the reason Elvis hangs at their house so we get to see Elvis.  But never Jason! 

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
33 minutes ago, TaxNerd said:

Cameron's biggest issue is that she can't break the fourth wall and talk about the show.

Why shouldn't she use daycare? She makes a six figure yearly salary at her job on the show. She also does all the voiceovers for the show, so is Palmer supposed to run around unsupervised? I'm sure she get plenty of offers where even if she uses an manager, she still has to keep a finger on the pulse, plus interviews, etc.  Without mentioning the show it seems like she has to justify child care when of course she is overwhelmed.  

Plus I admire anyone who reaches out for help for their own mental health. That is admirable, not something to be ashamed of.

I thought Cameran came off very well in the last episode and she looked terrific.  The prior episodes made her look like a complainer so I breathe a sigh of relief that is over.    It was clear to me she wanted to hire a nanny and so she did and I think this could make for some very amusing episodes.

• Love 7
13 minutes ago, tranquilidade said:

I thought Cameran came off very well in the last episode and she looked terrific.  The prior episodes made her look like a complainer so I breathe a sigh of relief that is over.    It was clear to me she wanted to hire a nanny and so she did and I think this could make for some very amusing episodes.

Still think that Cameran comes off as a complainer.  Hire a nanny already.  All she does is complain about being a Mother and goes from the extreme of smell the baby clothes to giving Palmer a bottle to drink  when Palmer is flat on her back (would think that the child would choke drinking it this way).  At least hold up her.

• Love 5
23 minutes ago, dosodog said:

I think what helps Cameron is that she started the show single and got married later.

She was already engaged during the first season they just didn’t mention it and got married while the first season was airing.

I mean the whole show is not that real most of the cast met each other for the first at a dinner Whitney threw a few days before they started filming. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

I believe Cameran had enough pull with Whitney to negotiate that her husband would not be on camera, given how his bosses would react, and that their child/children would not have much camera time. I don't have a problem with this, although I would enjoy seeing the three of them together. I know that Palmer is on Cameran's IG, but Cameran controls her IG's content.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

Plantation: A plantation is the large-scale estate meant for farming that specializes in cash crops. The crops that are grown include cotton, coffee, tea, cocoa, sugar cane, sisal, oil seeds, oil palms, rubber trees, and fruits.

Unless the Limehouses are still growing cash crops, CALL IT A FARM.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Interesting: the Limehouse plantation was listed for sale almost three years ago. The news item states that the listing was related to the divorce. Also interesting - the news item says that the Limehouses only owned the home - Airy Hall - for two decades.

The blog is penned by the guy who has been a strong Kathryn promoter, starting before Southern Charm was on the air. https://www.fitsnews.com/2016/09/14/limehouse-plantation-for-sale/

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, pasdetrois said:

The news item states that the listing was related to the divorce.

It actually reads like the person who wrote the article was just trying to jam as much Limehouse gossip as he could into two paragraphs since it was actually listed before the scandal/divorce and isn’t owned by her parents.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, Pickles said:

Shep has certainly lost any "charm" he may have  had in earlier seasons. He was on WWHL last night. He called Madison trash, again. A caller wanted to know if he had a thing for Madison, since he had such a strong reaction to her relationship with Austen. He said no, that it was all about how she ruined Austen's reputation or something like that. Shep is also going to Jax and Brittany's wedding (Vanderpump) this weekend. He wants to take Charlize Theron, because he is "fun on tap". This is Shep's new saying. Is he 12?? He just came off as a clown last night on Andy's show.

Theron could file a slander suit - just her name coming out of Shep’s mouth could ruin her reputation!

• Love 2

Some people are just not “baby” people.   When I think about it, I know a lot of women and men who don’t enjoy the baby stage, but are really good at the rest of those stages. I think Cameran adores that baby. They’ll be just fine.

• Love 16
(edited)
1 hour ago, Nancybeth said:

Plantation: A plantation is the large-scale estate meant for farming that specializes in cash crops. The crops that are grown include cotton, coffee, tea, cocoa, sugar cane, sisal, oil seeds, oil palms, rubber trees, and fruits.

Unless the Limehouses are still growing cash crops, CALL IT A FARM.  

If it's a historic property, you call it by it's historic name.  We don't call the Plimoth Plantation the Plimoth Town Site.

Edited by Lemur
  • Love 14
4 hours ago, politichick said:

Not defending it, but white trash is an expression.

I know you're not defending it (don't want you to think I'm mad, lol), but the way this phrase has been mainstreamed has always bothered me. I blame Roseanne. And Shep can suck it. Trash is as trash does, and he's a freaking dumpster fire. 

Also, Whitney, if you have dietary needs that differ from the ball sacks with whom you are traveling, BRING YOUR OWN FOOD. Good god. Whitney and Shep made Austen seem like an okay dude. That's not right, man, lol. 

I don't think Kathryn necessarily has low intelligence, I think she has a lack of curiosity and is generally kind of lazy. And I've always thought her flat affect was medication. 

• Love 13

Charmers,

Episode threads happen in episode time.  Any future actions or activities of the supposedly charming cast should not be mentioned in the episode threads.  Posts have been hidden.  If you want to talk about where folks live now, where they are going, etc., please take it to their character threads. 

2 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

If she does, Michael lays out a placemat, cloth napkin, & a glass of wine to wash it down...

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

For Shep to call anyone white trash is the height of irony.  Does he have any purpose in life other than getting wasted and nailing drunk girls on his sofa?  

Tyson is an absolute doll.  More of him, please.  

I guess with her $6600 monthly rent, Rolls Royce and tanning, Kathryn can't afford decent extensions?  

I basically zoned out during the Cam/nanny segment.  Boring.  

Our lady of the caftans, Patricia, being driven by her butler through the drive-thru at Mickey D's in her Bentley and enjoying her guilty pleasure cheeseburger in the parking lot, complete with red wine and a cloth napkin was freaking everything.  

WTH did Craig ever do to Shep and Whitney to be their whipping boy?  Sorry, not sorry but Craig continues to be my favorite person on this shit show.  He (officially) arranged for the camping trip and is cooking for all and he's treated like shit.  If Whitney had a special diet, he should be bringing his own food and not be a douche about it.    

• Love 16

I can not believe the behavior of these idiots at the campground. Shep and Whitney were born in to wealth, unlike Craig and Austen. Both Craig and Austen have parents that have done well but it's not born to the manor old money like Shep and Whitney have. In my view, I think both S and W are pretentious snobs. 

• Love 13
4 hours ago, tranquilidade said:

It disturbed me to hear how Shep also abused his younger brother and how he found this funny.  I wonder how his younger brother feels today about that alleged mistreatment.  (What an entitled POS he is.)  Shep  is showing a very dark side.  I don't like his attitude towards women either.  I would not go so far as to call him a misogynist, but he objectifies women and seems to see them as inferior to men.  His attitude towards Madison is an example of this.  What does he contribute to the world that makes him so great?  His sperm?  So far that hasn't amounted to anything either. 

Yeah, I'd call him a misogynist by this point. He's getting worse through the seasons.

4 hours ago, mandymax said:

I've never really understood why people were so quick to defend Craig, as he's been shown to be one of the laziest people I've ever seen in "action."  For someone who has had such incredible opportunities handed to him as a result of this show, he certainly doesn't seem to grasp how fortunate he is and instead is wasting it all with no foresight to recognize that one day, all of this will go away, and he'll then be left to his own devices.

However, even I was cringing at how horribly Shep and Whitney treated him while he was trying to build the fire and cook for everyone.  I felt sorry for him, and admired how well he controlled himself.  I didn't blame him in the least for retreating to the motorhome to get away from them, and was impressed that he didn't lower himself to their levels in retaliation.  He certainly would have been within his rights to do so.

I know. Craig has such frustrating behaviors. But what the hell, Shep. Everything about that was wrong. I did think Craig started calling out Whitney for almost nothing or comparatively little--or I didn't catch all the comments--but it all got so weird. Was Craig supposed to be responsible for ALL the furnishings, from cords of wood to Whitney's 'plant-based' food? It sounded like they were insisting he was...but I'm sure the producers would have flashed back to a scene with them telling Craig, "Okay, you're getting the RV and the food and Whitney's food and all the wood and and and" and Craig nodding and saying he wouldn't forget.

3 hours ago, TaxNerd said:

Cameron's biggest issue is that she can't break the fourth wall and talk about the show.

Why shouldn't she use daycare? She makes a six figure yearly salary at her job on the show. She also does all the voiceovers for the show, so is Palmer supposed to run around unsupervised? I'm sure she get plenty of offers where even if she uses an manager, she still has to keep a finger on the pulse, plus interviews, etc.  Without mentioning the show it seems like she has to justify child care when of course she is overwhelmed.  

Plus I admire anyone who reaches out for help for their own mental health. That is admirable, not something to be ashamed of.

Yes. And it should be okay to take a break from another person even if it's just to sit in a chair and flip through your phone. Cam has the means to arrange for good care. I'd like to think it'll all work out soon.

2 hours ago, Mr. Minor said:

UO, Craig was being kind of a pussy at the campsite.

I agree: He stayed immensely strong against all bludgeoning. Good for him.

• Love 10
(edited)
32 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

but it's not born to the manor old money like Shep and Whitney have. In my view, I think both S and W are pretentious snobs. 

Whitney wasn’t born to it. His dad was a financial advisor who later being a bank executive and they were well off but not old money or even wealthy. Patricia didn’t became really wealthy until she married Arthur Altschul when Whitney was in his late 20s.  

Edited by biakbiak
  • Useful 3
  • Love 3