Type keyword(s) to search

Bob's Burgers - General Discussion

• Start Topic

They could have taken a photo of Bob's mother's grave.

If you find a grave and want to be able to find it again, it helps to take at least 3 photos: [1] closeup of the gravestone, [2] showing the location of the gravestone in relation to a prominent monument, [3] the prominent monument as seen from the entrance of the cemetery.  If the cemetery is large, you may need more, such as road signs.

• Useful 5

This episode reminds me of the (ultimately fruitless) hunt we undertook looking for my great-grandmother (and namesake)'s grave. Except not with snow but under blinding sun. I always thought massive cemeteries were more of a west coast thing?

We have a canon name for Grandma Belcher! I always wondered if any of the kids were named after her. I'm Jewish, so recycling names through the generations is basically a foregone conclusion, but I know a lot of people don't feel comfortable reusing a whole name and go with the first initial. Unless Louise's middle name is Lily, I'm guessing that naming her something starting with an L is a tribute to her grandmother. We know from the movie that her hat is a reminder of Lily too.

This was really a lovely episode, honestly. I hope they submit it at Emmy Award time. The perfect blend of comedy and heart that this show really nails. And OMG the fact that Linda is game to take anyone out if you ask 😂.

• Love 7

What a gorgeous episode, the artists really outdid themselves. And a sweet story, too.

I have a weirdly accurate memory when it comes to finding one set of grandparent's graves in one cemetery and a complete inability to find the other set's in a different cemetery. It's weird. But I'm glad Linda overcame her fear and found Lily's grave so the family could have a moment together.

• Like 2
  • Love 6

I admit I cried a little. My last grandparent passed in June 2021 at 95, and we're all still a little raw. My grandfather passed in December 2020, so my grandmother lived on a long time after that. We kind of thought our matriarch would live forever. I can't imagine not having known them as I grew up and well into adulthood, so I was really touched by the Belchers' little graveside service.

• Hugs 6

I mean, I like the show, but they could have drove the car around looking rather than walking all over the place. At least the kids didn't screw it up, and they were really behaved. I liked when Louise rode Tina down the hill. 

It wasn't fair that the flat graves were covered though. Isn't that what the grounds crew would do? 

tbh, the best plan would have been for Teddy to take the kids snoobing while Bob went to the visit the grave. 

• Love 1

People can be funny about graves. My dad's family used to go to the cemetery every Sunday, and he still goes on special anniversaries and when he feels we need good luck (or some kind of heavenly intersession?). My mother's family thinks grave visiting is morbid. Personally, if a graveyard's where my spirit or whatever is after I'm dead, I don't think I lived right.

13 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

I admit I cried a little. My last grandparent passed in June 2021 at 95, and we're all still a little raw.

I'm so sorry for your loss. My grandmother left us in July 2021 at 93 and the lack of her presence is still disorienting. I'm convinced that she's in a kitchen somewhere though. We do visit her grave for important dates, but no, she's in a kitchen. She was a mad scientist in the kitchen and had a knife collection that would put a ninja to shame.

• Hugs 1
  • Love 6
On 11/27/2022 at 10:07 PM, PinkRibbons said:

always thought massive cemeteries were more of a west coast thing

The cemetery where my in-laws are buried,  in Michigan,  is a mile long north to south,  and at least a half mile east to west.  

I totally get how Bob feels. His mother's early death is still a huge aching loss for him. My husband was fifteen when his dad died. He's 72 now and still tears up sometimes when he remembers his dad, but never visits his grave 

And kudos to the writers for making us feel so deeply about an animated character 

Edited by bad things are bad
Clarity
  • Love 6

That was really touching, I'm glad that Bob got to take everyone to his moms grave. I have never found cemeteries creepy or overly morbid, I always find them to be very peaceful and interesting. Sometimes when I visit my grandparents graves I walk around to read the headstones, its fun to imagine what kind of lives my grandparents cemetery neighbors lived,

We finally get a name for Grandma Belcher. I guess I never fully realized how young Bob was when she died, and considering he and his dad have a rather complicated relationship, that must have been really rough for him. Linda was right, Bob's a great dad, husband, and all around guy. 

Love that everyone ended up eating Teddy's meatloaf. Good to know that Teddy is actually capable of making food on his own. 

• Love 5
On 11/27/2022 at 8:11 PM, emma675 said:

What a gorgeous episode, the artists really outdid themselves.

The sky turning pink as the day wore on was beautiful.

On 11/27/2022 at 8:31 PM, DoctorAtomic said:

I mean, I like the show, but they could have drove the car around looking rather than walking all over the place.

Maybe Bob planned on doing that, but then he decided to let Linda sit in the car because of her fear.

It wasn't fair that the flat graves were covered though. Isn't that what the grounds crew would do?

I could be wrong, but I don't think groundskeepers sweep snow off of grave markers. 

Loved when after putting on her snow pants, Tina said she had a wedgie, then when she turned around, we see that she really did.

Loved the shot of them scooting around the bush.

Linda: Me? In the car? By myself? In the cemetary?
Gene: Are you playing Clue right now?

• Like 1
  • Love 5

I understood why Bob left Linda in the car after moving it outside the cemetary when she started freaking out, but I don't understand why Linda didn't drive in when she decided to be brave and go in. Other than plot necessity of them being very very late.

Burger(s) of The Day: The Pineapple on 34th Street Burger

"Cut me in half so I can go to both!" I appreciate Linda being so intense about seeing her kids perform. It hurts when all three kids things started at the same time.

Man, I could definitely feel the awkwardness and anxiety in everyone at all the events. Just nothing went right, trying to juggle going to all the kids' performances. I liked how Gene ultimately saved the Xylophone performance, the montage set to that music was honestly beautiful. It was sweet to see Tina and Linda make it to Louise's poem (which was also touching)

"What would Ms. Merkin do?"

"I don't know!"

"AAHHH!"

Ms. Merkin really is Gene's 68 year old soul sister. I was really touched that he visited her in the hospital to show her the xylophone performance,.

I completely forgot that Tina Fey was the substitute music teacher, she was a natural at this.

"I've never heard angry applause before."

Edited by Galileo908
  • LOL 1
  • Love 12

I forgot the school is within walking distance. The setup was perfect - three kids, two parents; everything at the same time. I think Linda could have bailed on Tina because she's the oldest; Tina even told her to go. Good job for her to get to the library. 

I'm shocked Gene had a good idea related to music. Nice of them to visit the teacher in the hospital. 

Tina Fey is a big get for this show. 

• Love 4

That was gorgeous. And the Belchers were at their best, with Bob and Linda trying to be there for each kid, Gene saving the musical, Louise allowing herself to open up, and Tina going above and beyond to be there for her sister. And then! To add a little levity and sibling teasing: a sing-song "You like your family."

• Love 18

Just beautiful. I started crying when the xylophone music began playing correctly and Louise was about to start her poem. I was ful blown sobbing when Tina showed up and they panned over the kids playing so wonderfully. Well done, show.

• Love 14
8 hours ago, MerBearStare said:

Just watched last night's episode and came here to see if anyone else cried. That xylophone music was the perfect touch.

I have no idea how removing a few xylophone keys (?) could allow them to somehow play a decent piece, but, fine, I’ll take it. And it’s just allergies, all right?!!

• Love 8
22 hours ago, peeayebee said:

The xylophone music reminded me of music from The Leftovers.

Had to be pointed out to me, but it's Glassworks Opening by Philip Glass 

23 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

I have no idea how removing a few xylophone keys (?) could allow them to somehow play a decent piece, but, fine, I’ll take it. And it’s just allergies, all right?!!

Honestly a genius move by Gene. And thank Phillip Glass.

Edited by Galileo908
  • Useful 2
  • Love 7

I started crying the moment it was refreshed that it wasn't Tina in the start costume anymore because I knew she'd gone to see Louise. Oh my heart.

34 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

Had to be pointed out to me, but it's Glassworks by Philip Glass 

No wonder it sounded familiar! I love Philip Glass.

I think this is the first episode to make me cry. I thought the Thanksgiving episode a few weeks ago was the best this show has done, but this topped it. What a beautiful episode. This is Christmas.

• Love 9

Did the Bob’s Burgers movie reinvigorate the show’s writers because honestly this season has been stellar.  I just need a Boys 4 Now episode and this season will be perfect.  This episode absolutely made me cry.  Linda is seriously invested in all her children’s artistic endeavors they have three kids and it’s two parents for three events.  I loved this episode so much.  

• Love 11
9 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

Had to be pointed out to me, but it's Glassworks by Philip Glass

I was just coming here to see if anyone knew the xylophone piece and to join in on the sobfest. Damn, that was a punch in the feels!

• Love 7

And now I’m full on crying while my cats look concerned. I’m glad I wasn’t the only one crying at the end of the episode when the kids all started playing the song right and Tina showed up at Louise’s reading. That little wave really got me going, this show owes me tissues. A really lovely holiday episode. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Hugs 1
  • Love 10
3 hours ago, bad things are bad said:

Well, thanks a lot, Cartoon Network,  your timing could not be worse.  No Bob's reruns the week before Christmas.  I figured they'd show all the Christmas episodes this week  😠

My DVR shows some on Friday, starting at 9 PM EST:

9:00: "Bob Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen"
9:30: "Christmas in the Car"
10:00: "Father of the Bob"
10:30: "Nice-Capades"
11:00: "The Last Gingerbread House on the Left"
11:30: "The Bleakening" Part 1
12:00: "The Bleakening" Part 2

Then the showings repeat at 12:30 AM.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
On 12/20/2022 at 10:48 AM, Popples said:

My DVR shows some on Friday, starting at 9 PM EST:

9:00: "Bob Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen"
9:30: "Christmas in the Car"
10:00: "Father of the Bob"
10:30: "Nice-Capades"
11:00: "The Last Gingerbread House on the Left"
11:30: "The Bleakening" Part 1
12:00: "The Bleakening" Part 2

Then the showings repeat at 12:30 AM.

Honestly at this point the show has had more better Christmas episodes than Thanksgiving ones.

• Like 1

No way Rudy would be a snitch! I'm calling bs on that. 
And Susmita is back. 

I had a friend who would look over my shoulder in spanish class. She was hot. 

I can take the Tina thinks she might be in trouble because that was the plot, but I think her saying she didn't cheat would probably fly. She's not Louise that's always trying to run a con. 

I liked the whole conversation about whether the milk was bad. Bob and Linda in the kitchen were actually the best parts of the episode for me. Talking about murdering the puppet. 

• Like 4

Neighbor: The Hunger Frames

Edible Glasses

Exterminator: The Red Hot Kills-Bees Betters

This was a very anxious episode. I felt Bob and Tina's anxieties quite well.

Oddly enough, the only one who wasn't anxious but you'd thought they'd be was Teddy. Able to calmly hold a phone conversation while skidding into a bumper in the snow? But then his need to help the Belcher family won out, and he ended up saving the day.

The actual jingle was NOT what I expected it to be. It did not need to go so hard, but it did.

22 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I liked the whole conversation about whether the milk was bad. Bob and Linda in the kitchen were actually the best parts of the episode for me. Talking about murdering the puppet. 

Linda was the best in this episode.

"20 million people die a week in snowdstorms."

Edited by Galileo908
  • Like 4
  • LOL 1

I'm a Californian, so I have to ask - can you actually die from no heating in an apartment during a snowstorm? I mean combine body warmth from the whole family under all their blankets and that seems like it could keep them going through the night.

This episode was so uncomfortably close to that specific point in teenagehood when something not exactly stupid (but ultimately not really a big deal) can send you spiraling with anxiety.

I've been a tattle-tale my entire life and even I think that the anonymous box was a terrible idea. For one thing, talk about fostering a climate of fear (serious shit this reminds me of my mother talking about only having private conversations in the middle of the woods in the USSR) and for another - easiest way to sabotage anyone you don't like.

• Like 1

I suppose it depends. The real problem would be if it's so cold the pipes freeze and burst. Then you also have no water. Bob was over anxious about everything so he was revved up. I think if they all piled into the blanket fort, they'd probably be ok, and Linda said as much. They were all wearing jackets and layers though. I could buy it was that cold. 

An old place like that much hemorrhage heat. They didn't show, but I bet they only have radiators. I'm surprised Bob doesn't saran wrap the windows. 

It's a change of pace that Linda was more grounded. 

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

Bob asking the important questions. "What is wrong with your school?" 

I could really feel the anxiety in this one, you can really see the similarities between Bob and Tina, who both tend to obsess a lot when they feel anxious or out of control of a situation. That tattle tale box seems like a terrible idea, come on Rudy. Don't play into their games!

Teddy actually had a good episode, he really came through a few times and I'm impressed that he was able to slide for apparently twenty minutes without getting into an accident. 

• Like 6