Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E05: We're Back & Divorced

Divorcees who are co-parenting in the same neighborhood trade spaces again nearly 20 years later; Paige Davis, Hildi Santo Tomas, Doug Wilson and Ty Pennington take a nostalgic trip down memory lane in the Chicago suburbs.

Original Airdate: April 13, 2019

28 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I wonder if Doug and Hildi were the same designers from the first TS?  

There was an article out that says yes, they were. As was Ty. I don't remember the original episode, though.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I wonder if Doug and Hildi were the same designers from the first TS?  

They're the same people but not the same designers!  One of the earliest episodes was Doug getting bullied terribly from the homeowners he was working with, but the room turned out really well.  He made the homeowner these cool, rotating side tables that held a ton of books and he genuinely seemed to care about making the homeowners happy.  Hildi could turn out beautiful rooms, too.  Now?  They both come across as joyless jerks.

• Love 7
  • You want a room the kids will want to hang out in, so you go with a picture of lions who "just made love"? Okay..
  • Ballet flats and sandals. Just what I'd wear to go pull up old floorboards.
  • Those pictures look like crap. I do like the coffee table.
  • Hildi's room is just too much. Yikes.
  • All right, the homeowners had a much better reaction than I expected.
  • Doug's room is...better. I like the rug and the blue. Purple's a little much.
  • Love 5

Neither designer seems to understand what makes a good kid/family room. A table with a round glass top and formal dining chairs? I expect the kids will overswing that bed and either put marks on the wall or end up pulling the anchors from the wall. 

If the homeowner was a photographer, why not get access to some of HER photos to use in the room?

I can’t believe they left that horribly stained carpet in the attic (even though they did cover it with the area rug).

That said, both rooms were better than they were before, but didn’t seem like they fit what their function will be.

Edited by SHD
  • Useful 1
  • Love 16
On 4/11/2019 at 9:18 AM, LexieLily said:

There was an article out that says yes, they were. As was Ty. I don't remember the original episode, though.

The woman actually told Doug that she was happy he was the designer on her ex's room, and she hated the yellow room he designed for them the first go round.

I actually forgot that this show had returned, so this is the first episode I have watched. I hated Hildi's design, and really really hated the pictures. It would have looked much better to only have a select few pictures, and as another poster pointed out, why not use some of the homeowner's own pictures? A friend of ours went to Africa and took amazing photographs that he blew up and framed for their family room. They are stunning. Hildi's? Not so much. 

I wondered whether Hildi and Doug's design sense had evolved much over the last couple of decades. Apparently not. 

Edited by UsernameFatigue
  • Love 8

I thought both rooms were just pretty ugly.  Hildi's was too much of a cheap looking cave.  There are so many ways to make those pictures pop without plastering them randomly on the walls.  Other than the Africa history that couple has, I can't see why they liked it so much.  She did so little to the rest of the room, and it just was not good in my opinion.

Doug's room was just very plain, and an odd use of color.  Overall it was much better than before, and I am glad he went kind of simple for a change, but I just didn't think any of the colors blended well.  I loved the purple, but not with the blue like that.  I just thought it looked weird and kind of like some random homeowner put that look together as their "before" photo.

• Love 4

I'm a bit of a maximalist, so the only real issue I had with Hildi's room was the application of the pictures and the hanging daybed. I hate hanging furniture because it's so easy to cause structural damage with them. I really liked the room; but as I said, I'm a maximalist so I had little issue with all of the photos. I think this is one of her better rooms.

Back when I had an office instead of a cube, I rasterbated a skyline picture of my hometown on 3 walls and then put other pieces on top of it. I put other pieces on top of those pieces too.I used black vinyl wall stripes and decals on my file cabinets. There was very little color, but was a ton of black, gray, and white pattern on pattern on pattern. I'm sure it was too much for many people. I loved it.

I didn't like Doug's color choices, but I'm not a big fan of purple--ever. More than that, the room needed artwork and he mounted  the tv on a sliver of wall between two closet doors. The tv was off to the side with a whole mess of wires in the before because they were trying to retain access to those closets.

Edited by HunterHunted

I really liked both rooms and that the designers were Heidi and Doug for those rooms is a big surprise!

if the rooms were for pre-teens, it would be one thing, but I don’t have that impression. I like the philosophical elements Heidi used in the attic rooms. And arraigning the photo reproductions from less intense to more intense color was genius. Having the two houses now both having hanging furniture was a different twist.

i loved Doug’s color scheme of the darker blues and purple, .i love darker shades, and especially purple. And Doug’s use of those colors throughout was well executed as far as I am concerned. This may have been Heidi’s calmest room ever on TS, same can essentially be said for Doug as well.

• Love 6

I did want to tell the homeowner who kept referring to Doug's fabrics as "70's disco," that it really was more like "60's Pucci psychedelia." 

I really did not like the hanging bed.  I felt like all it would take was two or three careless teenagers and the entire thing was either collapsing or causing wall damage.  I didn't mind the pictures, but thought that they would have made for an interesting accent wall, rather than covering the whole room. 

• Love 10
20 minutes ago, HunterHunted said:

Back when I had an office instead of a cube, I rasterbated a skyline picture of my hometown on 3 walls and then put other pieces on top of it. I put other pieces on top of those pieces too.I used black vinyl wall stripes and decals on my file cabinets. There was very little color, but was a ton of black and white pattern on pattern on pattern. I'm sure it was too much for many people. I loved it.

I have a coworker who "wallpapered" her cubicle with nice, heavy wrapping paper. When she moved into an office she used it to paper the back walls of the shelves in the bookcase, the windowsill and a few other spots.

I liked Hildi’s fabrics and the rug, but the rest just no.  I could never concentrate in that room.  While I liked the colors Doug used, I just didn’t like them for the room and the Pucci print just felt cheap and polyestery to me.  I would have at least spackled and filled the big divet in the basement wall...Doug’s room looks like grandma’s sitting room, or like a cheaply done reno on an old Motel 6 that someone with not enough budget is trying to make look like a trendy boutique hotel sitting room.  It’s just not a family hang out space.

I question both their taste levels.

Edited by For Cereals
  • Love 10

It is cool that the original homeowners came back 18 years later but 18 years later, Douglas’s and Hildi’s room are both still trash! I am honestly am getting sick of Douglas and Hildi already! Can we have other designers please? At least both homeowners loved the rooms this time

Edited by DVDFreaker
  • Love 8

I enjoyed this episode and everyone seemed to have fun.  Both rooms turned out better than I expected.  I agree Doug's room could use more art or wall things (shelves, sconces, something) but that's easy to add and will break up the purple some.  IN Hilde's room, the wall of photos looked better than I expected, too.  I'm just not so sure about the hanging daybed thing.  I don't love hanging furniture in general, though.

• Love 4

I thought Hildi’s wasn’t too bad but why not use the homeowners photos? Neither room looked like a kid’s room. Doug’s was awful in my opinion and nothing about it seemed decorated for kids. I really wonder if Doug has ever done actual decorating for a clients home.

• Love 4

I appreciate Hildi's inspiration of a 1970s teenager's attic bedroom with posters covering all the walls, but it didn't fully come through in execution for me. I would have preferred if the wood flooring covered the angled ceiling with maybe a white wash and a couple of framed photos, but it wasn't too bad overall. I liked the photographs a lot, but it came off poorly thought out and executed. It's supposed to a fun space for the kids and their friends, so I'd probably kept it for a while. (depending on how irritated I'd be at the puckering posters)

Doug's room didn't seem very designerly (if that's a word?) For a basement hangout, it was nice - forgettable, but nice. I feel like any person with some effort could have executed that without much help. Even though I'm not someone who does much redesigning, I like to feel inspired to try something by this show, and I didn't feel anything from that space. 

• Love 6

My guess is Hildi had all of the pictures blown up before she came to the work site, and there was no way for her to get the homeowner's pictures without ruining the reveal.     I bet there would be a huge extra cost to get the pictures blown up, and put on posters in time for the filming.  

The two rooms last night looked a lot better when I compared them to the original yellow monstrosity.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 4

I thought wallpapering with photographs was going to be unbearably busy, and it would have been in just about any other room, but for an attic hang-out I wound up liking it.  And the room in general.

Doug's was fine, but a bit boring.  I like the color scheme in a vacuum, but I don't think it was the best choice for the space; even with better furniture and more artwork, it's not going to look like a basement hang-out.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

I really wonder if Doug has ever done actual decorating for a clients home.

I think he has.  In fact, I remember seeing some rooms he had done for clients back when the show was first on the air and I remember thinking that, if I were to hire any of the designers, it would be him.

The attic was cool until I remembered it wasn't an actual attic. And Doug's was a little boring but the couch looked comfy and that's what matters the most in a loungy area. 

Either way, both homeowners clearly learned from the previous time and chose rooms that were a bit of out of the way so if they were weird---big deal. 

I'll take the unpopular opinion in that I didn't hate the yellow room.  There were some cool elements about it.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, gorgy said:

I liked the photographs a lot, but it came off poorly thought out and executed. It's supposed to a fun space for the kids and their friends, so I'd probably kept it for a while. (depending on how irritated I'd be at the puckering posters)

I was a little confused about the pictures bubbling.  It seemed like it was going to be a major issue, then Hildi announced the next day that it was no longer a problem (how?) and no one mentioned it again.  How exactly did that work? 

• Love 5

I liked the end result of Hildi's room. It seemed to fit what the room was for--would be too much for a bedroom but for a hangout room--sure, go a little crazy/have some fun with it. It was interesting.

Doug's room looked pretty but did not seem to fit what the room was for to me at all. It looked like a room for hosting tea parties with a little old ladies club to me. A Mother's Day Brunch room. I was puzzled by it--though it was pretty, it did not seem to fit a room for a family to hang out in at all.

Hildi once again does her own interpretive modern dance -influenced by a few rounds with the hash pipe -style.  As for the puckering and bubbles, some may have flattened out during drying.  I have also”resolved “ air bubbles in wallpaper with a pin.  Poke the air bubble and flatten the paper.  It works well on a few random places in the wall, but not if the entire section needs to be “deflated”.  Better to rip it off and start over.

Edited by BusyOctober
  • Love 1

I've never been a Doug fan on this show, but I really liked his room this time.  The purple and blue worked well for the basement area, and the entire room looking MUCH nicer than most basement "hang-out" areas.  Very nice! 

It looked like the white area under the chair rail didn't go all the way around the room.  Was there a reason for that?  Also, you could tell in some of the shots that the basement walls were already in rough shape (looked like old concrete wall that had had their fair share of water damage over the years).  The darker color on the walls probably helped mask this a bit.

Hildi's room was, well, vintage Hildi.  Less said, the better! lol

• Love 1

I also kind of liked Doug's original yellow room too.  The thing is, when Doug is going "out there" with a theme room, he leaves a lot of design space for the homeowner to turn around and make it their own by removing the more extreme bits.  So, take away that hanging table and put in a regular table, and break up the unrelenting yellow on the walls with artwork and pictures, and suddenly the room is a warm and friendly hang out space, and not a "designer theme space."  Same with when Doug did that prison room that had the bench at the end of the bed with the toilet stool supports on either end.  He pointed out that you take that element out of the room, and some of the more kitschy design elements, and suddenly you have a rather peaceful soft grey room with black and white accents. 

But you can't say that of Hildi's rooms.  Once you glue fake flowers or hay to a wall, or cement in that broken glass, you're stuck.

There was a lot of purple in Doug's room, but I think it really looked good once the purple got softened with that lovely blue rug and the comfortable blue couch.  I saw during the sewing sequence that Doug was sewing what looked like miles and miles of corded trim, and I see that it all ended up on the couch to tie the blue couch fabric with the psychedelic purple paisley fabric of the curtains.  Oh man, that lady who was ever so disappointed with Hildi's "Prince" room would have loved that fabric!

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Gregg247 said:

It looked like the white area under the chair rail didn't go all the way around the room.  Was there a reason for that?  Also, you could tell in some of the shots that the basement walls were already in rough shape (looked like old concrete wall that had had their fair share of water damage over the years).  The darker color on the walls probably helped mask this a bit.

I think there were two closets there and he put an odd little strip of wainscotting on the sliver of wall between them. I thought that wall would have looked better without it. The little strip looked weird. I am a fan of purple in general but I thought it was too much in that space.

I would not be able to function in Hildi's room due to way too much stimuli for me.  And, my first thought would probably be "when I take the photos down will the wall behind them have been ruined?"  During this second season I have noticed that Paige really reaffirms Hildi and her vision no matter what the rooms end up looking like.  Doug seemed really tired to me and maybe even a little ill.  I hope he is alright. 

I didn't care for the woman who had been in both episodes.  She just seemed difficult.  And, since they went with a repeat "gimmick" (and Paige, no matter how many times you state that the show has never done this before, it's just not that noteworthy...) I would have preferred to find two couples who had traded and have the same two couples back.  Were they trying for drama with the "divorced" hook?  If so, it kind of fell flat for me.  

It seems like there is way too much filler this season.  There were so many flashbacks to their first episode (and I didn't need to see the yellow room as many times as they showed it) that I really didn't get a sense of what they were doing in the current rooms outside of plastering Hildi's photos everywhere.  I felt the same way last week with all of the emphasis on motorcycles, etc.  They aren't really showing us all that much about the actual rooms.

I'm really on the fence with this season.  Sigh. 

• Love 4

Nothing to do with the design, but I really appreciated the effort the parents made to have a positive relationship and make things comfortable and loving for their kids.  I don’t know how long they've been divorced (did it say?) but a lot of couples never get to that point no matter how long it’s been.  Good for them.  The partners seemed to be on the same page as well.  Just nice to see.  

• Love 4

Regarding Hildi's photos - why would anyone want a souvenir of someone else's trip?  They mentioned someone in the house was a photographer so why not blow up her prints?  You know, something that might actually mean something to the family!  This is not award winning art - this is just a record of someone else's trip.  Even if it were well done, I would still be rather ticked.  

• Love 4

The reason Heidi used her own photos was because these were from her extensive set of photos taken in Africa from her visits there, it wasn’t for any other reason.  Given that the designers have time to prep for their segments there probably wouldn’t have been any time to use the images from the homeowner and have them ready for use, even if they were from Africa.

• Love 1
On 4/18/2019 at 12:57 PM, seacliffsal said:

I would not be able to function in Hildi's room due to way too much stimuli for me.  And, my first thought would probably be "when I take the photos down will the wall behind them have been ruined?"  During this second season I have noticed that Paige really reaffirms Hildi and her vision no matter what the rooms end up looking like.  Doug seemed really tired to me and maybe even a little ill.  I hope he is alright. 

Your first sentence was my first thought when Hildi revealed her plans for the room. I also thought about the damage left behind when they attempt to remove those photos from the walls at some point. Paige has been reaffirming Hildi a lot to the point where it comes across like she's enabling her to a point. I noticed when the guy on Hildi's team tried to get out of adding all the photos to the walls with his teammate that Hildi snarled back that she'd just do it herself. 

There was a post of Doug in a wheelchair on his Instagram account from about 6mo ago where he mentioned hurting his "bum leg" after Paige ran down a hotel room hall and attempted to jump into his arms....

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Jaded said:

There was a post of Doug in a wheelchair on his Instagram account from about 6mo ago where he mentioned hurting his "bum leg" after Paige ran down a hotel room hall and attempted to jump into his arms....

Confirming my belief that Paige is really just an overgrow toddler. Hope he wasn't hurt too bad. I know Doug can be rather hit and miss, and can be quite a diva at times, but I've always had a bit of a soft spot for him. 

• Love 2
13 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

Confirming my belief that Paige is really just an overgrow toddler. Hope he wasn't hurt too bad. I know Doug can be rather hit and miss, and can be quite a diva at times, but I've always had a bit of a soft spot for him. 

I've always had a soft spot for him too. I'm not sure why though. His toned things down a bit attitude wise this time around especially compared to Hildi who hasn't changed a bit and may have gotten worse.

• Love 2

I actually didn't mind both rooms for a change.  Especially since it was Doug and Hildi.  I mean, I wouldn't have necessarily wanted Hildi's Africa photos on the wall, but idea wasn't bad for a kids' hang out room.

On ‎04‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 9:13 PM, SHD said:

If the homeowner was a photographer, why not get access to some of HER photos to use in the room?

That would've made sense, but wouldn't have been Hildi enough.

On ‎04‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 11:14 AM, Madding crowd said:

I thought Hildi’s wasn’t too bad but why not use the homeowners photos? Neither room looked like a kid’s room. Doug’s was awful in my opinion and nothing about it seemed decorated for kids. I really wonder if Doug has ever done actual decorating for a clients home.

How old are the kids in question?  They definitely weren't rooms for pre-teens, but for older kids they were fine.

On ‎04‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 3:50 PM, HurricaneVal said:

He pointed out that you take that element out of the room, and some of the more kitschy design elements, and suddenly you have a rather peaceful soft grey room with black and white accents. 

Which to me would still look like a prison.  Blech.  And that yellow was horrendous.

I did like the colors he chose for the basement, though.  And the rug.

(edited)
On 4/24/2019 at 10:45 AM, Jaded said:

Your first sentence was my first thought when Hildi revealed her plans for the room. I also thought about the damage left behind when they attempt to remove those photos from the walls at some point. Paige has been reaffirming Hildi a lot to the point where it comes across like she's enabling her to a point. I noticed when the guy on Hildi's team tried to get out of adding all the photos to the walls with his teammate that Hildi snarled back that she'd just do it herself. 

On 4/24/2019 at 7:56 PM, Mabinogia said:

Paige Davis has to grow the fuck up and realize you do not “surprise jump” into the arms of a seventy year old man if you are older than five and he is not your grandpa.

Edited by qtpye
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
10 minutes ago, friendperidot said:

Doug is 70? Oh, I guess he might be, I'll be 69 in a few weeks. What happened to the time? How did this happen? "We are the people our parents warned us about."

Doug is 54. I think @qtpye was using 70 as an exaggeration. 

• Love 1