Type keyword(s) to search

Extra Hot Great

David T. Cole
  • Start Topic

I was thinking that Mr. Tarantino might fit in with another iteration of True Detective as a deputy or sheriff in some  very rural town, but then I thought maybe Telenovela might be fun- if he were a guest director ( but not Tarantino) while the regular one was out sick? But Joe is right; it would be too much.

What might work would be a guest appearance on Legends of Tomorrow, where Mr. Tarantino plays some acolyte of Vandal Savage and is mucking around with Our Heroes in the 90's. Outsized personality? No problem and he'd only have to be seen for that ten minutes to mwhaha!

I haven't listen to the podcast yet, but I have pretty good feeling for what show QT would be perfect for, which is Murphy Brown. He would be her Secretary for the episode, who seems really with it, and hard at work all the time, maybe too hard at work. He's there before she gets in and is there when she leaves, but she is too busy to notice much about him, until she realizes that she is not giving him that much to do. Episode resolves with it coming out that he has not only been homeless, but has been spending all of his time writing a tell all about her, and has not actually done any actual work.

For shows on today, I don't watch reality television, but I would totally watch a season of Tarantino and Spike Lee doing the Amazing race. On the same season I would want the Coen brothers as team, Steven Spielberg/George Lucas, Michael Bay/Jim Jarmusch, David O. Russell/Woody Allen, Judd Apatow/Lexi Alexander, Ava DuVernay/Julie Delpy, Sarah Polley/Werner Herzog, Sofia Coppola/Francis Ford Coppola, Ryan Coogler/Steve McQueen, and Michael Moore/Clint Eastwood.

Edited by Kip

I would have Quentin Tarantino show up scouting for a movie location on the island in the flashbacks on Arrow, because then at least when you were trying to remember anything that happened on the island you could go, "Well, Quentin Tarantino was there."   Oliver would think QT is his means off the island but then Tarantino would leave him stranded there a la Gilligan's Island.

The Versace murders would be wonderful to see more about. My brother's Boy Scout troop was camped next to the Finn's Point National Cemetery the night the caretaker was killed, and was supposed to tour the cemetery the next day. We didn't realize the significance until later.

• Love 1

We definitely need a show about Karla Homolka & Paul Bernardo. Does anyone know if the story has been covered well anywhere yet? Sarah?

Both Law & Order and SVU did episodes based on it. There was also the feature film Karla starring Laura Prepon, though I don't think anyone would say that one covered it "well."

• Love 1

Even though it has been done before in various media, I would love it if they did the Clutter family murder as memorialized in In Cold Blood. The book left out/changed a lot so there's new ground to cover, and I feel like so many of the people involved would be character types that Ryan Murphy is already obsessed with (Capote is the obvious one, but also the teenagers involved, the probably clinically depressed mother, the murders themselves) that he'd have a field day adapting it.

(And obviously Connie Britton for Harper Lee even if she's the totally wrong age.)

I like the idea of doing a school shooting, but I'd suggest Brenda Spencer, from 1979 in San Diego. That way Ryan Murphy can indulge himself with a whole episode of the Boomtown Rats writing "I Don't Like Mondays," which seems right up his alley.

• Love 1

"Worse than Jazz" segments always bring me back to the 2-3 weeks in AP English in which our English teacher tried to make us appreciate jazz.  I don't hate jazz like most of the panel but am profoundly indifferent to it, and asking us to feel for jazz musicians put out of work by the rise of rock and roll fell on deaf ears, to say the least.  I can only imagine Dave having to sit through three weeks of class time listening to Jazz.

• Love 1

Harry Bosch sold the rights to one of his cases to the movies (it's LA after all) and that's how he bought that nice house. Also, Royal Pains wasn't always so toothlesss -- didn't lovable guest star and Canadian (redundant) Tom Cavanaugh bite the dust? I do enjoy the comfort food of Royal Pains and miss the Blue Skies of Monk, Psych, Burn Notice (not that all shows didn't have a lot of deaths), but still. However, Royal Pains has for sure run out of ideas. Will Hank find love (no -- except it's the last season so yes); will Evan and Paige get together (yes, even though she's so out of his league it's like Roger Clemens pitching to Gary Coleman). Let's see, her father is a retired general and current U.S. Senator. They are Hamptons royalty (so her mother must be the one who is loaded). Evan is a motor mouth with a bad hairdo and a shaky job, whose father is an ex-con. I'd have broken both his legs the minute he got anywhere near my daughter. The stuff with Boris has way run its course. I like Jeremiah but his weird schtick ran thin a while ago. Divya -- good grief, make up your mind, get over yourself, make a decent decision for once. The show has been running on fumes since that hospital administrator decamped for Africa or wherever they sent her. Come back Jill!

For the non-murderous true crimes, there's also the Edward Snowden/WikiLeaks affair, though it is (at time of posting) unresolved, what with him being holed up in the Venezualan(?) Embassy in London.

Ellie's sonnnnng! Amazing. I recently re-listened to an older EHG and it is amazing how grown up Liv sounds now.

Great canon discussion -- I have to say, I bailed on Breaking Bad early on (I think my life was just too stressful at the time and I needed shows that were more escapist) but I loved listening to the canon segment and will probably give the episode a try.

Tough (but fun) Gametime too -- sort of evil asking "what shows have made it into the canon" (as I was yelling "X FILES!" at my phone.)

• Love 3

I have to believe that the musical director and the writer of House of Cards were furious at each other and stomped apart thinking, "You want some crappy jazz? I'll give you some mother fu......."

That sounded like Roger Rabbit humping a one-man band.

• Love 3

Leah's "Here's your litter box, here's your food.  Deal with it asshole!" made me snort Diet Coke out of my nose.  And I say that as someone once owned 3 cats.

Sarah, I am the other viewer of Bosch and it's terrific.  If there are people in this world who don't like Titus Welliver, I don't want to ever meet those monsters.  They probably also like raisins and lukewarm milk.   

• Love 2

The Tate-Labianca Murders - They should adapt the amazing podcast "You must remember this" series "Charles Manson's Hollywood". I think this crime is better known as the Manson family murders.

"Karina Longworth achieves the unimaginable: she makes the Manson family murders of 1969 genuinely horrifying again." - The Guardian

Each episode she went through the story from a different perspective, building up our understanding of who all the major players are, and the many motives behind the crimes/murders.

Edited by Kip

This is interesting timing for this topic, because I woke up just this morning thinking I don't think I want to watch Scandal anymore. The couple of episodes that aired since it came back from winter hiatus were a dreadfully unpleasant viewing experience because there's no one among the main cast of characters to root for anymore - they're ALL monsters. And, worst of all, it's boring. Well, maybe worst is that it's got super effed up sexual relationships. But then, those are also very boring on the show, so maybe that is the worst.

• Love 1

I just dumped The Family ten minutes into the third episode.  I'm one of those people who wants to like at least one of the characters I'm devoting time to and this bunch of people are just heinous all the way around.  I see enough of those in real life.

Count me in as another Bosch fan! I came to it from being a twenty-plus year reader of the Michael Connelly novels, so it had a lot to live up to in my mind. And, for my money, it has!

As far as Royal Pains--yeah, wow. I know everyone pretty much predicted this summer would be the last season, but seeing the words made me sadder than I would have predicted, as well.

• Love 1

"Worse than Jazz" segments always bring me back to the 2-3 weeks in AP English in which our English teacher tried to make us appreciate jazz.  I don't hate jazz like most of the panel but am profoundly indifferent to it, and asking us to feel for jazz musicians put out of work by the rise of rock and roll fell on deaf ears, to say the least.  I can only imagine Dave having to sit through three weeks of class time listening to Jazz.

I'm not a huge jazz fan, but I do enjoy it live at a club from time to time. I feel like there are two very different types of jazz out there, and what's featured on the podcast is the absolute worst of the worst. I don't feel like that should even get to be considered the same genre as songs by Billie Holiday and Ella Fitzgerald. 

• Love 2

My dear husband has the flu, and when I played him Ellie's song, it was the first time I'd seen him smile all week.  He also hinted heavily that I may be getting a Friendship Owl for my birthday. Fingers crossed!

I am freaking psychic. When we were watching the House of Cards jazz club scene last weekend, I said (and I quote), "Oh my God. Is this jazz worse than jazz?"  To my ears that horrid duet was reminiscent of that moment in Close Encounters when the dude loses control of his keyboard because the aliens have taken it over. 

Awesome episode. I'm going to have to do another Breaking Bad rewatch, even if it means quitting my job. 

• Love 3

Nick's idea for "Acting with the Stars" reminded me of this weird game show from 1975 called "Don Adams' Screen Test". In the show, a contestant would be asked to re-enact a well-known scene from a movie, and there were celebrity guest stars who would appear in the scene with the contestant. Apparently the show hasn't been rebroadcast since it first aired, so who knows how it holds up today, but I direct you to the Wikipedia article on the show to see Don Adams' photo, which is truly the 70s-iest thing you will see today.

Spelling With The Stars.  You bring in former Scripps National Spelling Bee contestants to coach celebrities and them have them compete in spelling bees, started with a fixed relatively small word list in the first round but expanding over time.  Doctor Jacques Bailly who is the pronouncer at the National Spelling Bee is your host.   Contestants would include Food Network Star winner Justin Warner, television showrunner Shondra Rhimes,  and requisite Jamaican Usain Bolt.

Edited by DavidJSnyder

I honestly don't know how "Laughing with the Stars" or "Celebrity Comedy Challenge" isn't a show already.  Stars from other fields are paired with a coach to make them a comedy superstar.

Possible celebrities would be:

Famous Athlete

MMA Fighter

Whoever Kardashian

Semidisgraced Political Figure

Disney factory product

Pop singer

B-list actor

C-list actor

Hot model

Etc.

Star coaches are the usual suspects in the cross section of LA comedy and reality TV

Paul F. Tompkins

Gilbert Gottfried

Iliza Schlesinger

Adam Carolla

Doug Benson

Or whatever direction you want go. There are about 10,000 comedy podcasts and talking head shows with hosts who might be convinced to go on this show.

Challenges:

Start with ones in which the pro can carry a lot of the scene.  Two person sketch, elementary improv, viral video, etc.

Then we get the challenge where the pro has to prepare the celebrity to perform a three minute standup routine. The blood will hit the wall.

Spelling With The Stars

Hee! My first thought on seeing this was that it would be a show where the celebutestants are C-list starlets and reality-show people who have to act out iconic scenes from Aaron Spelling TV shows, opposite an original star from a Spelling show. 

William Shatner (T.J. Hooker) could host, and the 'original stars' could be any of the original 90210 stars, plus Peggy Lipton from Mod Squad, Starsky and/or Hutch, an Angel (from Charlie's Angels), Robert Wagner and/or Stefanie Powers (Hart to Hart), Jill Whelan (The Love Boat), Joan Collins, Heather Locklear, Thomas Calabro (Melrose Place), Jessica Biel (7th Heaven) and Brian Krause (Charmed).

The scenes they have to act out would of course include Dr Kimberly Shaw ripping off her wig in Melrose Place and Brenda Walsh's 'I hate you both. Never talk to me again!'

Celebrity Food Truck [ The Great Food Truck Race + Celebrity Apprentice]

Like TGFTR, there are teams of three celebrities (without pre-existing personal relationships) who cross the country seeing which truck has sold the most and the best food.  The teams of three are 2 cooks and 1 driver/business end person.  The celebrities must come up with a concept and truck name.  There will be Speed Bumps, like in the regular TGFTR

Host: Michael Symon ( The Chew)  or Kayne Raymond (No Kitchen Required)

Teams:

Truck 1: JB Smoove/ Carrie Preston/ Nicole Ari Parker  [random]

Truck 2: Kristen Chenowith/ Brooke Shields/ Margo Martindale [random]

Truck 3: Boris Kodjoe/ Enrique Muricano/ Daniel Dae Kim [Hot Guys]

Truck 4: Neal McDonogh/ Cynthia Addai-Robinson/ Kevin Alejandro [Hot CW Villains]

Truck 5: Jeff Foxworthy/ Hilary Duff/ Aziz Ansari [From the South]

Truck 6: Wil Wheaton/ Fergie/ Cheech Marin [From California]

Truck 7: Mike O'Malley/ Queen Latifah/ Johnny Weir [East Coast]

For me Bob's burgers is semi-dropped, episodes are just piling up. Legends of tomorrow on the edge of being too stupid to watch, so episode to episode I'm debating if it is entertaining enough to continue with (I call this the Heroes test, and Heroes failed it after the first season).