Type keyword(s) to search

Extra Hot Great

David T. Cole
  • Start Topic

"Ask Annie" fresh out of community college Annie Edison has opinions on how to fix what is wrong with you. From overachiver to rehab back to overachiver, her optimism has never been deminished, while still being pratical. Most importantly she is willing to tell you what you need to hear, not what you want to hear. Her Sunday sports column is called "Annie given Sunday".

• Love 3

Well...that was a review of Daredevil. At least I know the season was generally well received so I'm not crazy. I fast forward through that segment. Everything else was great as usual.

Rory Gilmore's column on gliding your way through life, based on two main skills: the ability to be inexplicably adored by everyone and to never put on weight despite living exclusively on junk food. It's called "Rory Gives More!"

• Love 2

Grimm : A witch has found a spell to take lies from liar's mouths. The n00b unfortunately ( or is it?) takes everyone's words.

Modern Family: Manny dreams that the families' last group outing was a silent movie.

Lucifer: One morning, everyone just can't hear. Chloe and Lucifer assume it's because they were in the vicinity of an explosion, but it's not just folks at the crime scene- it's the whole of L.A. 

So that means Dawson's Creek is a Canon worthy show in a non-ironic sense?  I never actually watched Dawson's Creek, but my sense was that it was kind of watched only for the purposes of making fun of it.  Hmmm....

It had an episode submitted to the Canon, so I assume so. But I feel like there must be someone in the universe who could answer questions about both Dawson's Creek and the Canon more adequately than I can.

--Julia Louis-Dreyfus as my date. (I'm sure Brad would be cool with it.)

--Norm Macdonald because he's the funniest person on earth.

--Dana Carvey, just because I could use some help in the kitchen chopping the broccoli.

--Bill Murray for later in the evening when we're ready to get crazy and start fucking some shit up.

--Does Larry David count? Because... uh... yeah. My party, he counts.

--Tina Fey, just in case the Julia thing doesn't work out.

• Love 2

Am I the only one that interpreted the title to mean the sort of Liver that is best appreciated "With Fava beans and a nice Chianti?" But Hannibal Lektor was never on Saturday Night Live, so he wouldn't be eligible!

• Love 1

For an SNL Ladies Night-

*Gilda Radner

*Jane Curtain

*Larraine Newman-- I want the three original funny ladies; I will always love them

*Jan Hooks--because- if she was up for it- I'd want her to sing a song or two

*Ellen Cleghorne-- I've always liked her.

*Leslie Jones

I'm thinking a bit Golden girls and a bit Murder she wrote...

Veronica Mars - Veronica Mars

Charlotte 'Chuck' Charles - Pushing Daisies

Olivia Dunham - Fringe

Root - Person of Interest

I just want a nice, friendly dinner where nothing gets too heavy and we avoid divisive topics like politics, so I'll invite Janeane Garafalo, Victoria Jackson, Dennis Miller, Will Ferrell, Colin Quinn and Senator Al Franken.

Alternately, I'd be fascinated to have a dinner with Lorne Michaels and whichever five cast members hate him the most.  It might turn into a murder mystery by dessert.

• Love 1

I have to admit to being a little disappointed that Sarah wasn't playing - I'd hoped she'd get both "Diff'rent Strokes" and "Firefly" (SPAACE!). And loved all the hints to "The Littlest Hobo" throughout the podcast, inadvertent or not. Glad it seemed to work pretty well, though.

I probably spelt "Beverley" as if it was the town in Yorkshire rather than California (it was almost certainly there first).

• Love 1

I'm too far behind on most of my shows to answer my own question! And have we had confirmation yet on how much of the "Unreal" ensemble is getting jury dutied next season?

They actually DID jury duty Danny on "Mindy" and it didn't help much, in part because the plot then became about his absence. (Everybody kept asking "Where's Poochie?") Is the working theory that they had to do that unpleasant character assassination last season because Messina is getting gradually written off the show? Or am I just spinning conspiracy theories?

I've always felt like I'm getting a special bonus whenever EHG leans into the fact that its three founding members are all from the Niagara region (or at least have spent significant time there) -- I was yelling "GOLDIE!" at my iPhone and it was so satisfying when Joe said her name, I can't even tell you.

• Love 1
(edited)

* Yoyo and Dorian ( Holmes and Yoyo/ Almost Human); John Schuck is cool and Michael Ealy is hot. Both are androids. Dorian, trying to find out more about how his line came about, finds this old cop 'bot who is exceedingly polite. After a getting-up-to-speed montage with Rudy and Dorian, Yoyo is still polite, but more like an adult of his seeming age.  (No, I didn't watch H&Y as a kid, but I have always liked John Schuck and hated the publicity pictures for that show. He's an android not a multitasking house appliance!)

*Bill Gannon (Dragnet) and Andy Sipowicz (NYPD Blue):  Gannon was younger than he looked due to a disease in the LA smog ( of the time). He was cured and found a job in New York City. He was teamed with Andy after Bobby Simone's death.  Andy tried to deal with the weird recipes, stories about the Gannon household, and suggestions for how Andy could be healthier/more attractive as a potential husband/ enjoy his downtime/improve his apartment's décor.  Andy eventually begs Baldwin Jones to swap out Gannon for Greg Medavoy. With a shake of his head, Baldwin says, "No way, Andy."  (I'm not sure if putting Andy back with Joe Friday would have just made for an angrier Dragnet. But hearing a very New York accent with Friday's rat-a-tat delivery sort of tickles me in theory.)

Edited by Actionmage

Due Souther. Straightlaced Mountie Fraser Benton (Due South) heads down to the swill of crime and corruption that is LA to partner with Vic Mackey (The Shield).

If this is pitched as a comedy, then somehow, despite never appearing without his formal red uniform, Benton makes it through the entire run without being shot, being seen to take bribes or blackmailed. Nobody knows how he does this.

If this is a gritty drama, then the twist in the Series finale, is that as the rest of the team are busted for corruption, there is a reveal that Benton has secretly been the Mr Big behind the whole LA Drugs Scene and has spent the entire series removing anyone who might oppose him.

• Love 2

Detective Amy Santiago from Brooklyn Nine-Nine partners with Sgt. Phil Fish from Barney Miller. They have to sit a 48 hour stake-out in an abandoned store with no working plumbing. Amy asks Fish what married life is like. He tells her. She explains at length how wrong he is.

• Love 2

One of my favorite shows as a kid was Adventures of Pete & Pete, which would hold up on the basis that it is still, 20 years later, ahead of its time. (This was a children's show that featured Patty Hearst as a guest star. And that was not even in the top 20 weird things on that show.)

"Frightenstein" is easily the best thing I've heard about all week. Currently going down a YouTube hole.

I have also been rewatching some of Shelly Duvall's "Faerie Tale Theatre" lately, and it's still pretty magical. I'd never seen the episode "The Boy who left home to find out about the shivers" before, but Peter MacNicol is SO good in it.

I think that Sesame Street, even the early stuff with the very 70s slang and dress, would hold up pretty well to a binge. I enjoy the songs, mostly. 

Not so sure about Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood, even though that is similar to Sesame Street, only more social than straight up learning basics.

I would have Sophie from 2 Broke Girls go on jury duty. Have Conchata Ferrell reprise Berta from Two and a Half Men, show up as Sophie's sister and bust her on her fake Polishness. Yeah, there's family in Poland and Sophie's house-to-be is still there, but Soph is from wherever Berta started. Sophie called Berta to supervise the maid service.

Boy Meets World for me and Sabrina the Teenage Witch. I actually re-watch them often and I still laugh. In the case of BMW I even watch - and kind of love - Girl Meets World..

As for cartoons, it was all about anime in my country so stuff like Candy Candy (which is just about the best soap opera ever, only that it happens to be an early 80's anime) and from the US probably something like Animaniacs or Tiny Toons.

Curiously, I also watched a lot of Canadian TV like Ready or Not which was my sister's favorite.

There is allegedly going to be a Fraggle Rock movie, although it's been in "development" for ten years.The current claim is that Joseph Gordon-Levitt will be in it, which I guess is fine. The old plan was for Ahmet Zappa, of all people, to direct it.

Donald Faison and Donald Glover?  They could be fun. If they get really tipsy we might get the "Poison" dance, maybe?

Stephen Amell and Stephen Moyer. Amell already owns a winery, so there might be some snarking. Mr. Moyer? I like guys with accents.

• Love 1