Type keyword(s) to search

Extra Hot Great

David T. Cole
  • Start Topic

Star Trek: The Next Animated Generation  It's set after DS9 and Voyager and follows a whole new crew, except, maybe the Doctor is now modified to be on call,ot just for emergences. ( I like Robert Picardo's voice.)  Also, we can have truly alien aliens robot species.

Star Trek: USSO- United Starship Service Organization  Working off of John Potts' great idea, we just super-futurize today's USO into a branch or parallel for service members and their families. We follow a smallish troupe of performers who are sort of summer stockish- they perform all sorts of plays, musicals, concerts, et. al. They are consummate performers and care about helping the troops however they can. One week, we get a peek at how a Starfleet-approved performing troupe uts on the famous Klingon version of Hamlet. Another week, they give a concert for some front-line ship. They put on a Romulan musical comedy another week. Some of the other things that might come up? A fancy holovid star comes along to get a bit of gritty cred. A guest comedian finds out performing on the front lines is really tough. Communications in the furthest reaches isn't actually all that, so vids are pressed into the troupe's persons to send at the next station or ship going to their home. The usual, but in new ways.

Star Trek Babies! Nanny tells Jean-Luc and Benjamin and Kathryn that their teams have to help her with chores today. Jean-Luc's team of Worf, Data, Beverly and Spot get to help with the laundry. Benjamin's team of Kira, Odo, Julian and Dax ( either Ezri or Jadzia) get to help in the kitchen. Kathryn's team of Kes, B'Elanna, Tuvok and Harry get to water and feed the plants. Unfortunately, they wander into the neighbor's yard, but Nanny finds them by the end of the episode!

(edited)

I typically listen to EHG on the way home from work on Tuesdays, but I had to listen to it at work this week. Everyone is now looking at me funny.

Thank you for putting up with my silly, silly, game. It was a riot.

Edited by Misanthrope

I knew the NONAC technicalities might DQ my submission, but I thought the sheer pain factor might overrule. Still: I regret nothing, and y'all were good sports about this. Okay, maybe I regret Sarah's untimely demise. R.I.P. Another regret: I had no idea that audio quality was that poor. Dave is some kind of saint for using it anyway, especially considering what it meant suffering through.

I kept waiting for Earth: Final Conflict to be a game time answer.

If you're looking for a truly terrible Biblical TV movie, I highly recommend the 1999 Noah's Ark movie with Jon Voight, Mary Steenburgen, Alexis Denisof, Emily Mortimer, Sydney Tamia Poitier, and F. Murray Abraham as Lot, a character who has nothing to do with the Noah story in any way in The Bible. See it just to watch him get sucked up into a water tornado and Carol Kane turn into a pillar of salt.

Oh, also James Coburn plays a goods peddler who visits the ark post-flood and sells them stuff like a rice paddy hat for a penguin.

I'm so glad somebody put together a SPAAAACE! GameTime. I'd taken a couple cracks at it but couldn't figure out how to put it together. Really fun.

I agree with the Nonac ruling... if you just open the gates up to all horrible tv, where does it end? BUT we got to visit this meh-strosity as well, so it's win-win.

And yet, The Facts of Life's prison variety show is only the second most embarrassing TV show prison concert:

Edit: I wonder if Roger Daltrey has a "no singing" clause in a contract somewhere? He turned up in a pretty major role on an episode of Sliders without singing too.

And yet, The Facts of Life's prison variety show is only the second most embarrassing TV show prison concert:

Wow, that is painful, I'm going to cultural cringe myself to death over that.

This is so weird - I actually tried watching "The Incredible, Unmentionable Uncle Trip" just last week on youtube, and thought it was too boring to send in for "Let's go to the tape". Or actually, I stopped when the tooth decay segment was too gross to deal with or even contemplate. It was a rare starring role for the "Time for Timer" nutrition mascot!

Extremely annoyed to come here & find that this discussion did not have someone interjecting "WHO WILL FIGHT ME?" between every post.

Related: WHO WILL FIGHT ME?

The thing about that 70s show is that I don't think it's horrible TV so would have no problem voting that episode in. But, to each there own. Keep in mind I can't defend the last few years as a whole. But, I see it as far from horrible.

It was funny that Joe mentioned liking the musical episode of Grey's Anatomy as I've actually considered submitting it as a Nonac contender. The thing has stopped me is what halted the 70s Show entry (I accidentally type "the" instead of "that" which I thought was fitting) - I'm not certain that this group would ever induct an episode of Grey's Anatomy into the Canon. I agree with Joe that at least there is talent to back up the Grey's episode (I could listen to Sara Ramirez sing forever) but what a poorly executed episode. But not as poorly executed as the musical attempt of That 70s Show. Wow.

I would send either Sean Hayes back ( I think he could be great at those panel shows like What's My Line or I've Got A Secret) or Jaime Camil ( to work that post-Desi Arnaz Latin wave). Both have great energy and can play a nice range of types, though both are great at comedies.

I would bring forward Anne Francis. She was a movie star, but only headlined one show, iirc. Now, I love Honey West, but Ms. Francis could be more than just Honey or Mama Jo from Riptide. Getting her to be the head of a company or family business and letting her go to town on a Damages/Falcon Crest style show or even an older version of Broad City could be fun.

Let's Go to the Mall! -- Hey, it even has a theme song ready-made. Take the framing convention of The Love Boat, in this case a mall, and have intersecting stories that happen, two or three just like The Love Boat.  We get folks who are in limbo/ a holding pattern/just out of rehab/whatever in and working. The regular cast should be a mix of established and new names.  Barring a straight The Love Boat type of framing, you could use Hotel's framing as the mall is a place folks go to/use for various reasons.

Couples meeting for first dates/coffee to check out computer matched "dates"; crushes/young love; a meet back here in X years story; deceptions revealed about actual jobs; the opening of a new anchor store is not going well; a fashion show ( at lunch!) is being protested; window displays are being offensive to someone and how the situation is handled- all sorts of stories can be made. Like the previously mentioned shows, it won't cure Zika but it can be done smartly and well with the right folks.  Maybe Emily Halpern and Sarah Haskins ( of Trophy Wife) could balance the drama of the comedic stuff and the humor of the more serious stuff and give each story a nice moment. Maybe Nanatchka Khan ( of Fresh Off The Boat) to run it?

Apropos of That 70s Show, I remember the first time I watched it thinking that as a group, the cast had the weirdest names I'd ever seen - I mean, among them there were the first names Topher, Mila, Ashton, Wilmer and Kurtwood, and the surnames Kunis, Kutcher, Prepon, Valderrama and Rupp. (And then they were superseded by Gossip Girl, with the cast's first names including Blake-for-a-girl, Leighton, Penn and Chace. *shakes head in wonder*)

I think you guys made the right decision to keep the rule for Nonacs as 'worst episode of an otherwise good show'. As much fun as it is to hear Sarah D. Bunting raging, I wouldn't want her to suffer multiple deaths for the sake of our entertainment.

Let's Go to the Mall!

Heh. This reminds me of a terrible, short-lived Australian TV show from 1980 called Arcade (as in 'shopping arcade'). It was more of a soap opera than an anthology series, but the premise was 'Set in a fictitious shopping mall (hence the "Arcade" of the title) in the northern suburbs of Sydney, Arcade dealt with the lives and loves of the characters who worked at the various stores within the shopping complex.' (Wikipedia)

You can see the craptastic theme song and opening credits on YouTube.

Really loved this topic. I would bring Lindsay Wagner forward, at her mid-1970s age. She had a genuineness and a likeability that really lifted up material like the Scruples miniseries (which I may have watched, oh, more than once) and of course Bionic Woman.

It would be interesting to send somebody like Lisa Kudrow back to see what she could do with a late 60s/early 70s Bewitched type of show.

All my first instincts are depressing shows that I likely would not watch myself, like a cabbie that is the grim reaper who shows up and takes way his recently departed fares, or a show about different end of the world situations (I'm pretty sure that is actually a Edgar Wright idea), or a Djinn granting wishes that ruin the corrupt of heart.

But my actually not depressing answer is "Masterstroke" an anthology show about people being touched by genius, like once in a life time ideas. Some invent facebook, others find love, create Superman, or write a hit song. Some stories end happily, while others have the person's idea stolen and end up with nothing.

I would send back Hayley Atwell, because she would run the place, and I would bring Richard Pryor from the past and let him star in "The Richard Pryor Show" now.

(edited)

Sleepy Hollow, S28 Finale (?):  The Witnesses, Abbie and Ichabod, have declared love for each other and are getting ready for their rededication ceremony, complete with Jenny and Joe and their kids, their friends- living and dead ( Mom Mills and Sheriff Corbin, Poor Dead Andy and Poor Captain Irving, Macey Irving and Nick Hawley)- and family coming to wish them well and for post-ceremony karaoke!

They have fought all of the dangers foretold but one. Jenny, Joe and their kids try to head this one off in order to keep Abbie and Ichabod from calling off the ceremony. Friends pitch in to help in everyway, but The Contrivance Demon is slippery and escapes shortly before the ceremony. Just as the ceremony is underway and looking beautiful, the Contrivance Demon shows, three-quarters of the guests are packing and draw down but C.D. has its slipperiness as an asset. As it's monologuing in demonese, it's split down the center by a white-hot blade. It's Headless, who's damn pissed off that he's been shut away for so long and Contrivance has kept him prisoner! He heedlessly motions for the ceremony to continue.  The ceremony finishes with a big kiss and  Headless comes running in and swings at the camera-- smash to Black. "Sympathy For The Devil" plays over the credits.

Edited by Actionmage